Broadcast News

Please don't take it wrong when I tell you that I believe that Tom, while a very nice guy, is the Devil.

A 1987 flashback. Don't mind me.

Important broadcast information for D.C. United's match at Real Salt Lake at 9 p.m. ET on Saturday night:

Comcast SportsNet will provide coverage, but because the outlet is showing the Wizards-76ers game at 7, the United-RSL game will be joined in progress around 9:30. Not tape delay, in progress, so you will miss approximately half of the first half. (To prevent further conflict, pray for no overtime in the NBA game.) The match can be seen in its entirety Sunday night at 8 p.m.

There is better news on the radio dial. Not only will WFED (1050 AM) provide its usual live coverage, three other Bonneville network affiliates will also carry the match. They are WWWT (1500 AM, 107.7 FM) and WWWB (820 AM).

On a completely different subject, I am hearing that 10,000 tickets were purchased on the first day of the private sale for the USA-Argentina friendly June 8 at Giants Stadium. The public sale begins at noon Monday. Check the USSF's Web site for further details.

By Steve Goff  |  April 10, 2008; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Revolution Revelations
Next: Nowak at RFK

Comments

So instead of listening online until CSN picks the match up, I'd actually be able to turn a radio on in Virginia to listen to a muffled broadcast?

Posted by: sitruc | April 10, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Why can't they use CSN+ for this and show it in it's entirety? Doesn't look like there is any MASN2 game that night.

Posted by: Kev | April 10, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

WTF!?! US Soccer had listed FRIDAY as the Visa pre-sale day.

Posted by: Erick | April 10, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

The dcu website says the game will also be on direct kick - Will it be on time there?

Posted by: JB | April 10, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

us soccer and the meadowlands emailed out info for the presale that started yesterday. it's still going on - presale code for ticketmaster is "U2ENTERTAIN" for the US supporters section, and "N7ENTERTAIN" for the mixed/neutral section.

surprised that many tickets are already sold comsidering how high ticket prices are?

Posted by: pat | April 10, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I think Holly is actually getting better with age.

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 10, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Steven, it must be nice to always believe you know better, to always think you're the smartest person in the room.

... and Joe, we had Holly at a hearing on the hill a few years ago and she was stunning.

Posted by: bbarrie | April 10, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Why, I don't get no respect, I tell ya! The other day, I tried to watch a soccer game, and a basketball game broke out!

Posted by: EdTheRed | April 10, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

-------
I am hearing that 10,000 tickets were purchased on the first day of the private sale...
--------

How long have you been hearing this? Is it still continuing? Voices in your head, or some source pestering you? Maybe you should see a doctor, Goff, as you might be coming down with delusion as a result of excessive blogging.

Posted by: WebMD | April 10, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Radio broadcast that I can actually get. Man, this is going to be sweet. Now I'll finally be able to sit in a dark room drinking while listening to the game.

Posted by: Big Roy | April 10, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand the situation where Comcast is obligated to show the entire Wiz game but able to cut off United game? Don't the agreements apply same?

Posted by: td | April 10, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

"Now I'll finally be able to sit in a dark room drinking..."

Welcome to club.

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 10, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

The games will be on 3WT!!! Will Kornheiser be doing the game?

Posted by: Tony K? | April 10, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the ticketmaster passwords. I bought two tickets for my son and I. I'm taking him for his 10th birthday.

Comcast = Total BS!

Posted by: peridigm | April 10, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Got my USA vs. Argentina tickets on Tuesday! Now to plan for the priviledge of getting out of the Meadowland parking lot! Oh, how tired and excessively useless I will be at work on Monday, June 9th.

Posted by: DWE4 | April 10, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

That should be "Welcome to the club."

I thought I was Peter Nowak for a moment...

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 10, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

DirectKick has the game in its entirety!

Posted by: Garrett | April 10, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

anyone know if the MLSNet broadcast will be in its entirety?

Posted by: Mike | April 10, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Comcast = Total BS!

Posted by: peridigm | April 10, 2008 1:37 PM

Try having Charter Communications and then tell me how you feel about Comcast.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | April 10, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Me to DWE4...4 hour drive home from NYC on Sunday night FTL.

Posted by: strago | April 10, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Comcast. that's really quite bad. being cut off for back to back sportsnite (it's not very good sportscenter ripoff - note to comcast sportscenter snark is played out) i wonder if the announcers will be announcing at the beginning.

Posted by: Free DC | April 10, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Comcast = Total BS!

Posted by: peridigm | April 10, 2008 1:37 PM

Try having Charter Communications and then tell me how you feel about Comcast.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | April 10, 2008 1:56 PM
-------------------------------------------
Trust me, both of those cable "providers" (and I use the term loosely) look like paragons of virtue when compared to the odius morass that is Mediacom. They couldn't find their butts with 2 hands, a mirror and a clinic full of proctologiests.

Can't wait for the DirectTV installer to get here on Friday!!!!

Posted by: Throwin | April 10, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Let Comcast know how irritating this is:

viewermailwpl@comcastsportsnet.tv
(301) 718-3200

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 10, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Great movie and great quote.

And good one bbarrie!

Posted by: Baysider | April 10, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"proctologiests."

Ghosts that inhabit WHERE?!!!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 10, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff, if I may submit a request: We'd love to hear how Bradley's chat with the Pachuca Mexican-American went last night.

Posted by: Glaucon | April 10, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Great news on the radio coverage!

I wonder those extra channels be available for other games this year, or is it only a one time deal?

Posted by: Rob | April 10, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Pretty Peppy Party, hey Pal?

I wonder if Catie Couric's entire life goal is to avoid Flop Sweat.

Posted by: Hacksaw | April 10, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Chief, I could have sworn that you mentioned you were near the Home Deport Carson. I am going to be in So Cal for the Chivas v United Game in May. Any advice on where to sit or where NOT to sit in the stadium. Thanks for your help.

Posted by: Looking for Chief Clancy Wiggum | April 10, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Getafe get a red card in the 6th minute, but score in the 44th to lead 2-1 on agg now...

Posted by: RK | April 10, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RK | April 10, 2008 3:50 PM

sounds like my last league game in Trophy Manager!!! dern computer programs!

Posted by: myt! | April 10, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

When I called Comcast for my Direct Kick package a couple weeks ago-- on the Saturday that was supposed to be a free preview, but I was trying to PAY for it-- I talked to four people and got four different excuses.

I absolutely hate Comcast. I thought Time Warner Manhattan was bad, but Comcast is the pits. I e-mailed the Office of Cable Television (oct@dc.gov) to compain about them. I don't love any of the big telecom companies, but maybe if enough of us whine about it, they'll approve a franchise for Verizon or other competitors and at least there will be a choice of big bad television providers.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 10, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Ha, I just downloaded Worldwide Soccer Manager last night...Gallardo w/ a hat trick to put DCU past Motagua. Next up...Pachuca, of course!

Posted by: RK | April 10, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow-getafe about to knock out bayern munich.

Posted by: pigman | April 10, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

The games will be on 3WT!!! Will Kornheiser be doing the game?

Posted by: Tony K? | April 10, 2008 1:34 PM

Oh man, don't tell him that 3WT's airing a soccer match - he'll go ballistic.

Posted by: Kev | April 10, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Rangers looking good for the semi's - that would be 5 English clubs in Europe's last 8 ;-)

Posted by: Kev | April 10, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

RIBERY GOAL!

One of the best players in the world...Cicatriz. All tied now.

Posted by: RK | April 10, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I think that Ribery goal came at the same time as Getafe's late tying goal last week in Germany...what a last-gasp effort.

Posted by: RK | April 10, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Rangers send Adu's rivals out with a goal to seal things in injury time.

Posted by: Kev | April 10, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Getafe w/ a goal in the 1st minute of ET (at home)...wish I could see this one...

Posted by: RK | April 10, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

What a meltdown by Munich in Extra time. 2 goals in three minutes, wow.

Posted by: Red Devil | April 10, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev | April 10, 2008 4:33 PM
==================

You about to get a visit from the Scottish Liberation Bunch-of Guys-who-aren't sufficiently-armed-to-be-called-an-Army.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 10, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1

To thank me for not liking Rangers as well? :-)

Posted by: Kev | April 10, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Barring another Bayern comeback, it'll be Getafe-Zenit St. Petersburg and Rangers-Fiorentina in the semi's.

Posted by: Kev | April 10, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Ok, Getafe, a man down, holds on for 83 minutes after the red and gives up the tying goal in the 89th minute.

How do you let a deflated, man-short team score two goals in the opening 3 minutes?

Posted by: RK | April 10, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

To thank me for not liking Rangers as well? :-)

Posted by: Kev | April 10, 2008 4:55 PM
=============

No, for calling Rangers English. Either you're talking about Queens Park Rangers, or you work for the Library of Congress.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 10, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 10, 2008 5:02 PM

Sorry, I thought the wink would show that I was joking. Just implying that Rangers Queen loving supporters are happy to be British...

Posted by: Kev | April 10, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

OH NO!!

Posted by: Red Devil | April 10, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Now Toni w/ one w/ 5 mins left...they need another...

Posted by: RK | April 10, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

OMFDGSDFGDFGDFG!!! TONI at the last minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: RK | April 10, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

This has to be one for the ages... :( another la liga team gone...

Posted by: RK | April 10, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Looking for Chief Clancy Wiggum
_________________________________________

Hope this finds the right guy....

You are correct sir, I do live in So-Cal. As for the game in May, check out this website below. It's Big Soccer blog where the Barra Brava are planning/discussing where to sit during that particular game.

If i remember correctly, for the Chivas game last year we sat in the first few rows in section 136. For the Galaxy game last year we sat in the first few rows right in the corner of section 119. However for this year I think they're trying to sit near midfield. But check that blog. That'll provide some answers and it's also where I'm taking my lead from, in terms of where to sit.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | April 10, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Some photos of the game...even the royal family was there...

Posted by: RK | April 10, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Chief, your info found the right gal. Thanks you so much. This should be a big help.

Posted by: You are the best, Chief | April 10, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Another SoCal-ite here, Chief. Are you referring to attending the United games at Chivas and Galaxy this year?

I'll try to get tickets in one of those sections, thanks. Anyone know if Knave is going to go?

Posted by: viv | April 10, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: viv | April 10, 2008 6:06 PM

If I were you I'd also check out that thread on Big Soccer that I linked. That would have the most up-to-date info of where everyone is going to be sitting.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | April 10, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Great news on the radio coverage!

Posted by: Rob | April 10, 2008 2:38 PM
==========================================

I'm wondering the same thing. In fact, while Goff had a flashback to 1987, I had a flashback to an even more distant time, circa 1979, when every Diplomats game was broadcast on WTOP, when that station used the same frequency (1500 AM) and power (50K watts) that WWWT now uses. Radio coverage is one of the few areas in which United comes across as less of a big-league operation than its NASL precursor.

BTW, WWWT has a low-power translator in Leesburg that broadcasts at 104.3 on the FM dial:

Posted by: tri-village | April 10, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Why can't the game be shown on CSN+?!?

Posted by: elicea | April 10, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Direct Kick now has blackouts in local markets so it won't be on live in the DC area. The thing I don't know is how far out that blackout region goes.

Posted by: Brian | April 10, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

csn+ doesn't exsist during baseball season...

Posted by: littles | April 10, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brian | April 10, 2008 8:14 PM
=========================================

But isn't the game in question in Utah?

Posted by: tri-village | April 10, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't matter, tri-village. These rules are to "protect" the local broadcast, not ticket sales like the NFL blackout rule. Basically, if you live within a few states of DC and get CSN on your cable system, DK's airing of a DC match will be blacked out when CSN has a broadcast.

Posted by: Brian | April 11, 2008 6:20 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the clarification, Brian. Perhaps the next time these things come up for renegotiation, MLS should insist that local cable systems such as CSN only get the benefit of the blackout rule when they offer a broadcast that is comparable to DK (i.e., in full, and in real time).

Posted by: tri-village | April 11, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse