DCU-RSL Aftermath

Big victory for DCU.

How big?

Gheorghe Muresan big.

You remember the 7-foot-7 former NBA player, right?

Well, the football-lovin', Washington-livin' Romanian was in the DCU locker room after the match. You think he makes other NBA players look small? Imagine the sight of Muresan and Franco Niell in the same locker room.

Okay, a few thoughts from Tom Soehn.....

"It's important to get the result but we still have to be hard on ourselves and know that, on the day, I don't think the soccer was good enough especially in the first half. I thought the effort was there, but we still have some things to work on. Winning is a habit and if you get a result, it's important for us right now. Building on that, we have to continue to do things better."

(On Moreno) "A lot of guys don't recognize those passing situations and he just has a maturity about him that makes people around him better. He leads in so many ways, but his play is one of the best ways he can lead."

(On Gallardo) "We talked all week about getting him involved in the attack a little more and pushing himself a little higher. To his credit, he listened and got involved a lot more."

(On Fred's injury) "It's a contusion. It's something that hurts and will take a few days to get through, but we don't see any long term problem."

Player ratings: Wells 5; Namoff 7, Peralta 7, Martinez 7; Quaranta 8 7, Stratford 4, Simms 6, Fred 5, Gallardo 8; Moreno 8, Emilio 5. Subs: Burch 7, Dyachenko 6, Kirk 5. [UPDATE 2 p.m. Sunday: Another case of the late-night, terrible typos -- Quaranta was supposed to get a 7, not an 8. Sorry, Tino. SG]

Game report is here. Match video is right here. Gallardo's thunderbolt is here.

By Steve Goff  |  April 27, 2008; 12:40 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: DCU-RSL
Next: The Good, The Bad, The Coyote Ugly

Comments

I thought they were going to have to delay the match after that thunderbolt.

Posted by: sitruc | April 27, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

An 8 for Quaranta? Certainly not based on his crosses.

A 7 for Namoff? Certainly not based on his marking on the RSL goal.

Please tell me someone took a picture of O'Neil and Muresan!

Posted by: Glaucon | April 27, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Everything looks so easy for Gallardo.

Posted by: tpm26 | April 27, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the match stats/box score.

Is that new for the Post? I have not seen it before.

Gallardo gets a goal of the year nomination for that one. Tino's was sweet too and let's not forget Moreno chipping Rimando on the pk---Nick should have known better!!!

Posted by: delantero | April 27, 2008 1:36 AM | Report abuse

I hope this is the goal that Gallardo needed to spark some much needed flare into the United attack. That goal was glorious -- no other word for it. Now we just need Emilio to turn the corner too and we'll be rolling. Great performance and effort once again from Quaranta too.

Vamos United!

Posted by: Andy | April 27, 2008 2:00 AM | Report abuse

It was clear to me that Gallardo was the best player on the field, even before his goal. Quaranta needs to be playing regularly. He added a great dimension tonight. Moreno looked like vintage Moreno, even more composed. I think Emilio showed more effort tonight, but he's still in this slump. I hope it's just a slump, not a permanent decline. He just takes too much time in front of goal. If he would get a better first touch, he's in the position to make an impact.

Posted by: Dave | April 27, 2008 2:03 AM | Report abuse

I normally don't comment on the ratings, but a few of those definitely seem inflated and not on par with what I've come to expect from Goff. I definitely didn't see 2.1 as an 8.

Posted by: sitruc | April 27, 2008 2:06 AM | Report abuse

It's tough to hand out a bunch of low scores after a 4-1 win. It's just nonsensical. Q did well.

Posted by: viv | April 27, 2008 3:06 AM | Report abuse

A mixed bag of a result, certainly. Some quality play with some pretty bad stuff. And some sweet goals. I'll take the win front of such a great crowd.

Very disappointed in Fred. His injury "peformance" was a joke. He looked like he took a bullet. I've seen 12-year-old girls take harder hits, get up and continue running.

Note to self: stop by Lane Bryant and buy Fred a dress. A bright pink one.

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 27, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Who switched Donovan and Emilio?

8 goals this season and its only April? Landy, with lots of help from Beckham is on a strong run.

Now if we could only figure out what happened to Emilio.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 27, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Note to self: stop by Lane Bryant and buy Fred a dress. A bright pink one.

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 27, 2008 7:41 AM

At the end of the game I was yelling at the refs for calling some of those penalties for DC. Emilio and Fred looked like they just came over from the Italian league.

Posted by: Divers | April 27, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Steve: Nice prose in the article. It was a delight to read with my AM cup of coffee. Excellent photo of Tino's goal too. Please pass my compliments the photographer.

Tino needs to work on his crosses, unless those were truly shots; in which case, he need to work on his shots.

With Burch's play, I don't expect that Fred will be injured for long.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 27, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Penaltaies were perfectly earned. First one clearly handball and the second one is pushed E in the box. Two sweet goals and let a crapy goal. Namoff's poor marking. That should have cleared easily and kept clean sheet. Oh well.

Posted by: football | April 27, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Goff, please teach the meat-head sport anchors how to pick their soccer highlights. I'm glad they stoop to show one 3-second clip nowadays, but please teach them that PKs are boring. Why the guy on CBS last night didn't show Quaranta's or Gallardo's highly skilled, beautiful goals is beyond me.

Posted by: Brendan | April 27, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I saw muresan at the game and he seemed very nice, not to mention he's freakishly tall. Is he one of the world's 50 tallest men? I wouldn't be surprised

Posted by: GoUnited | April 27, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

If quaranta is going to play out wide, you would think he could get in a decent cross. good win, even if the score was a little flattering. i'll take it.. KC lost. hopefully this league will suffer from parity again and we can challenge for the supporters shield.

Posted by: mizage | April 27, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brendan | April 27, 2008 8:52 AM
--------------
What do you expect from CBS or NBC, ABC, Fox for that matter. They try to keep as low profile for United as anyway they possibily can. I do agree that Moreno's pk were nicely done but these local media would keep away any good highlights so that United's Tino or Gallardo's excellent goals wouldn't taint their local sportmens fame taken away. That's why I never watch them.

Posted by: hoho | April 27, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Was at the game, great crowd. For the posters who say Fred is faking, you must never have had a real dead leg hit before. The man couldn't run afterward.No faking involved just the inability of the leg to perform, give the guy a break. He tried to run it off and couldn't.

Tino did very well overall. He was skilled on the ball, a real threat to dribble the defender especially in the second half when he got some confidence.

Gallardo and Moreno worked very well together and both worked very hard; they are great. Chipped PK was very sweet and made Nicky look foolish.

Emilio seemed not to work that hard but he had freed himself for the shot when he was hacked down from behind in the box. PK was correct call.

Stratford was awful, hope it is a one off but I have to wonder if he is the best of the rest on DC. If so we are not very deep.

Posted by: RRP | April 27, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

At the tailgate they were taking surveys about United moving to PG County. One servey has been already taken last year. This one is pecifically about if United moves to PG County, would I (we) still go there to watch and buy season tickets, etc? I sense that United is definitely looking forward to get out of the district govt's lack of response. Stupid DC officials, they will know what they missed out once United moved out. I prefer United stay in the district but I am tired of waiting and I am all for United to move ahead.
I know this is off topic but couldn't resist.

Posted by: arlington for United | April 27, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: arlington for United | April 27, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brendan | April 27, 2008 8:52 AM

For some reason I still look forward to how the matches will be covered on the 11 o'clock local news. NBC4 didn't mention it. I believe ABC showed both PKs and CBS showed the second PK. I wasn't surprised by the amount of coverage since the Maryland Spring game is a huge event nowadays, but I was a bit dumbfounded by the clip selection.

Posted by: sitruc | April 27, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Santino's crosses aren't perfect but at least he is choosing to cross unlike some people in previous games.(cough,cough,Fred,cough,cough)

If he works on them,the crosses will improve.

Someone needs to tell Emilio to quit trying to pull a Jaime on the offensive end, because he aint. He needs to be a finisher and run towards the goal instead of having his back towards the goal.

Posted by: United fury | April 27, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I am surprised with all the bagging on Fred, if what you saw led you to believe he wasn't hurt you're blind.
it seems like nothing will be good enough for some "fans" when it comes to Tino.
His crosses sucked in the first half, but he made up for it with a sweet touch(goal).
With the total lack of anyone shooting in the last few weeks I'd put my money on players focus being on their finishing when the chances come. Quaranta, and Gallardo did that.
Emilio looked better, I was kind of surprised RSL went after him so much, maybe they too were feeling his drought can't go on forever.
He drew some important fouls and created chances for his team.
Lifes too short dudes, smile your team rocked the house last night. Enjoy it.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 27, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know when was the last time Moreno missed a PK?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Great game. This was Jaime Moreno at his best. Hope he can keep it up. With Moreno and Gallardo dictating the attack like this

Go here for a better highlights package: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMrKB75V-3g

Posted by: DCUMD | April 27, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Moreno doesn't miss PKs.

Posted by: CY | April 27, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Please tell me someone took a picture of O'Neil and Muresan!
Posted by: Glaucon | April 27, 2008 1:07 AM
+++++++++++++++++

None with Niell, but Muresan definetely makes people seem short.

Posted by: emanon | April 27, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Moreno doesn't miss PKs.

Posted by: CY | April 27, 2008 11:31 AM

-----------------

I think he missed two in one game for us the season before we shipped him to NY.

Posted by: Dave | April 27, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm still on Wells. I can't get over how bad he plays. When he set up his wall, he should look to see who's taking the kick. If he's covering the near side, he should have Peralta (his tallest Defender) on the far side and vice versa. This way if the ball get's squeezed to the other side where he isn't, they have to go over a tall player.

He also isn't communicating with his defense. Last game, I thought that it was just a problem with Spanish/English, but yesterday Namoff got on him for not talking.

Also, I'm tired of him making bad decisions on when to come out and not to come out. It's frustrating to watch him put his D in positions where they look bad. On the goal, the cross came in through the six. He should've gone for the ball before it got headed over his defense.

I'm afraid that he wastches the game and doesn't talk. This being said, his game was solid (not good, but solid) enough to win. When he goes against a good team, that performance will lose us the game.

For those of you who didn't read my comments on him last week, I just want to say that I play and coach the position currently and feel that I bring a different view than those who play soccer, but at other positions on the pitch.

Posted by: Q | April 27, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Q, you needn't worry - I think we can all see how poor a communicator Wells is. After the schoolboy screw-up in the Columbus match when he couldn't work with Martinez, I was shocked to see almost the exact same situation play out with Namoff in this one. It's just not acceptable at this level of play.

I'm trying to cut Zach some slack, but he's making it harder and harder for me.

Posted by: Grunthos | April 27, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

All in all it was fun game, glad I was there for last night's game. Stop by our site for some photos from the game.

Allen
OffWing Photo

Posted by: Allen | April 27, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Nice to get the win, nice to see Gallardo a little more involved, nice to see Tino bringing the energy and desire to run at defenders (if he can get his crosses into dangerous spots, he will really start causing problems for opposing teams), nice to see a relatively stout defense, nice to see Kirk get a run out, nice to get lucky with the handball for the icebreaking PK. All in all, a good result, but as Soehn said, not a great one.

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 27, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Moreno missed a pk against univ catholica in the away leg of the cup de liberatadores a couple years ago.

Posted by: pigman sweet | April 27, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I meant copa sudamerica

Posted by: pigman sweet | April 27, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

so, why was big Ghoerge there in the locker room? Not only is he tall, he is just huge, period. He makes Dyachenko look like a little kid.

Posted by: Glenn | April 27, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the Wells comments 100%. The goals that have been scored against us when he comes off his line makes him look very foolish. If he were between the pipes he may have had a shot at saving last nights goal. Does anyone who the highest paid keeper is in MLS, and how much do they make? Just curious.

Posted by: peridigm | April 27, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Wells has been for the most part a backup throughout his career. The communication and organization probably will come given a few more starts. If I remember correctly, Perkins didn't do very well in his first season with United. Wells seems better than Carvallo anyway.

Posted by: United fury | April 27, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Jaime missed a PK in the shootout with NE in 2004. But, Brian Carroll stepped up and made his and Nicky blocked Dempsey's. So all was well.

A long time ago.

Posted by: Tommie | April 27, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

9K in NY today? Uh uh, nope. No way. More like 2K, if that.

Anyone else see that pathetic display today?

Posted by: Hoost | April 27, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

What? I can't hear you-- you're IN THE CELLAR.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 27, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

What? I can't hear you-- you're IN THE CELLAR.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 27, 2008 6:29 PM

We're counting the days until you lose Altidore. After which you will be at the bottom...for the rest of the season.

Posted by: Altidore Red Bulls | April 27, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I was looking through the game attendants for all matches for this round and found out that Galaxy v. Chivas has 27k, secon DCU v. RSL has 23k plus and third Toronto v. Kansas 20k plus. Forth place was Houston v. Columbus 15k. Everyone else very poor.

Posted by: td | April 27, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I think a 4 is the best we can hope for Wells. He was aweful and it's going to start showing when we play real teams later the season. He didn't even move on some of their shots and seems a bit of an airhead. I would take Rimando over him in a heartbeat because at least we'd be entertained if we had to put swiss cheese in the goal.

Posted by: NeedaNewKeeper | April 27, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Is this Juan mastodan girl annoying or is it just me?

Posted by: dc | April 27, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Juan, answer my question. How many were REALLY there?

Posted by: Hoost | April 27, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I have been waiting here for hours waiting for someone to mention the red bulls. I have to go now because mom said to get off the computer in the basement because tomorrow's a school night.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 28, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse

I have to go now. Mom said to get off the computer in the basement cuz tomorrow is a school day. Redbulls rule, DCU drool!!

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 28, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

"dadryan":

your latest comment has been deleted. please clean up your language.

SG

Posted by: Goff | April 28, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I thought that I played well and deserved at least a 6. I think people are obsessed with my pathetic start to the season and are now biased in assessing my performance. I actually played well - especially making a very nice turn to set up a penalty kick.

Posted by: Pretend Emilio | April 28, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Sorry SG
Thought I'd censored, although thinking back even though I screwed up the letter count it was still a little crass.
My bad
I just need to pinch myself next time MJ pipes up, we all it won't be long before United passes right on by his sorry Redbulls.

Posted by: dadryan | April 28, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Cue Mastodon's disappearance from these boards in 3...2...1...

...right after his Red Bulls get beat like a drum, like they do every time they play DC.

What's history of the Atlantic Cup again? Have they EVER had it for more than one season? Have they ever actually HAD it?

Posted by: viv | April 28, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

The second half was vintage DCU. Kudos to Burch and Simms who continue to play solidly and without much recognition. Can't believe only one person in this thread even mentions Burch, who was responsible for setting up two goals. The 3-5-2 will work, if Burch replaces Stratford.

As for Wells, it's true he hasn't taken command of his box as yet (hopefully experience will help), but you can't pin all of it on him. Namoff was waiting for Wells to call for the ball in that one instance, and Wells didn't. That's on Namoff. By the way, Namoff is doing some nice tackling, but how many times are we going to have to see shots of an opposing team's goal where Namoff is behind his mark? Getting to be pretty frequent.

Posted by: BillyBob | April 28, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo gets a goal of the year!!!! at least goal of the week!!!!!

I think Gallardo and Moreno played very well and they are starting to click.

Wells is a second class goalkeeper.

Posted by: Franz | April 28, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

"Will United fans ever be happy? You even have to argue about Goff's player ratings...
Lifes too short dudes, smile your team rocked the house last night. Enjoy it."

Uhh, 'dude', this statement calls into question your soccerfan cred. :-) You may be pleased with the RESULT, but there was enough in the game to be critical about.

As Nick Hornby said, "bitter disappointment is the natural state of a football fan---no matter what the score". That about sums it up perfectly.

Posted by: todd11 | April 29, 2008 4:30 AM | Report abuse

soccer fan cred todd11?
whatever you are just like all those dorks in highschool, you were soccer nerds then and you are soccer nerds now.
I don't need your approval to be a fan of anything.
I understand the quote and it
makes sense.
It's a matter of optimism or negativity.
you probably smoke cigarettes, and wonder why you always feel like crap.

Posted by: dadryan | April 29, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Cigarettes? High School? What are you on about? Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on the bigsoccer Rivalries board or something.

If you had mentioned any specific reasons--(for which there were more than a few)-(individual preformances, perhaps?) for 'optimisim' perhaps your post could be taken more seriously.

I would maybe assert that most of us who have played, coached, watched soccer for a long time tend to look through a critical lense at team preformances...which is why we enjoy Goff's blog...so does he...by the way looking at something critically does not necessarily mean only looking for the negative. Yes we 'rocked the house', 'dude', but analysis of what went on down on the field (apart from the score) is part of the fun of the game.

Posted by: todd11 | April 30, 2008 2:54 AM | Report abuse