DCU-TFC Aftermath

Two early goals, a flawed opponent, a red card, a comprehensive victory.

Several outstanding performances, but on a night when the attack returned to form, I'll mix things up and go with Bryan Namoff as my man of the match. He timed his tackles exquisitely, distributed long balls out of the back effectively and reinforced the attack.

Player ratings: Wells 6; Namoff 8, Peralta 7, Martinez 7, Burch 6; McTavish 6, Simms 7, Gallardo 7, Fred 7; Quaranta 7, Emilio 6. Subs: Moreno 7, Dyachenko 5, Niell 4.

A few notes:

*On Maurice Edu's late goal, Zach Wells said he crashed chest-first into the post but was not hurt.

*After the match, United was visited in the locker room by Lt. Col. Greg Gadson, who served as an inspirational figure during the New York Giants' Super Bowl run last fall. Gadson, a former Army football player, lost both legs to a roadside bomb in Iraq last year.

*My match report can be found here.

For bonus quotes, jump below.....

Santino Quaranta
On starting: "It was a humbling experience because it's been a while since I've succeeded and really enjoyed the game. It was a pleasure to be out there again. I had a feeling [he was going to start] because I've been working hard in training. I was nervous before the game actually, but once the game started, I felt comfortable. I was as comfortable as I have ever been on the soccer field. You can't explain it sometimes. It was more fun than anything."
On playing alongside Emilio as opposed to Moreno: "It's different. Luci is phenomenal. He's a great finisher, a poacher, and I like to play underneath a little bit and defend a little bit more for Marcelo when I can."
On celebrating his goal in front of the Barra Brava and Screaming Eagles: "They give you such a boost and it's like an extra gear. I ran to them because they deserved it."
On the attack: " When we click, it's going to be dangerous, very dangerous."
On his role: "He [Soehn] wants me to be more of a playmaking forward. I don't really do well with my back to the goal, I like to face the field more, and when you have so many good players, you can rotate and I was helping Fred a lot on the left and when Marcelo goes forward I can drop back."

Jaime Moreno
On his return: "I felt okay. I thought I was in better shape. My leg is not there yet. I was a little bit disappointed because I thought my leg was better. Definitely games are different. I'm feeling better, but I'm not 100 percent. I'm not comfortable yet sprinting 100 percent. I still have a little fear and that's mental. Hopefully I will be good for Wednesday."
On his goal: "You have a couple seconds to see what you do with the ball. It was a good play by Franco and I was lucky to have a nice finish."
On positive signs for Wednesday: "The hunger of scoring goals and being smart in moving the ball. We know they were a man down, so we were smart. Overall, it was a good performance but we can't be too satisfied because Wednesday is a big game for us and we know it is going to be a totally different game."

Zach Wells
On the team's start: "We came out with the right mentality. We were sharper on the ball than we were in the mid-week game and we had a lot more guys having good games. The red card took some pressure off us. The second half we kept the ball well, scored a couple extra goals and really put it away."
On switching to a 3-5-2: "They were a man down so we matched up with them better in midfield and bringing Jaime in there in the second half added a little calm and allowed guys to play comfortably with the ball."

Tom Soehn
On the decision to start Quaranta: "Reviewed the Pachuca tape, the pressure from the front-runners, making sure you dictate which way they go and making it harder for the backs, Franco still has to learn how we do things. Tino has been here before and understands it a little better. We have to spend some time with Franco so he understands it."
On switching the formation: "It's a situation where we are up a man, so it's always important to try things and for me it was important to get Jaime into the game and get some fitness for him. The way the game was, it was a good game to get him in because he could get a lot of touches on the ball."
On Moreno: "He's got a calming force, his feet are good, and his experience, we want him to keep the ball and make them work, and that's one of his strengths."
On the lull in the first half: "We had a stretch where I thought we should have kept the ball a little bit better and we attacked with too much urgency instead of stretching them out and making them work harder. That's early signs of a team that has not been playing that much. You have to have the experience at that point to now realize what it is going to take to kill a game off."

By Steve Goff  |  April 6, 2008; 12:19 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: DCU vs. TFC
Next: Moose Crossing

Comments

Vamos United!!!

Great Game!

FIRST!

Posted by: myt! | April 6, 2008 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Although pretty much everyone played well (with the exception of Emilio in possession -- man he looked bad), I'd have to say my Man of the Match was Quaranta. A goal, an assist, and lots of imaginitive, dangerous attacking play. DC's just a much better team with him in there instead of Niell.

Posted by: jrnail23 | April 6, 2008 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jrnail23 | April 6, 2008 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jrnail23 | April 6, 2008 1:46 AM | Report abuse

sorry for the triple post there... I guess there were some technical problems that made it look like my post wasn't accepted

Posted by: jrnail23 | April 6, 2008 1:53 AM | Report abuse

I think I have to agree iwth Giff, though I do not like to becauseit can look like kissing up, but Namoff showed really well tonight. He is my MOTM. He had some great tackles, great clearances, and really just controlled his side of the field defensively. Though, I have to say, I loved Tino's goal and the confidence it brings for him. What a great redemption story for the young kid. I would love to see him thrive this year. I would name my kid after him if he did!

Posted by: T. Henry | April 6, 2008 2:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: T. Henry | April 6, 2008 2:08 AM | Report abuse

I think I have to agree iwth Giff, though I do not like to becauseit can look like kissing up, but Namoff showed really well tonight. He is my MOTM. Hehad some great tackles, great clearances, and really just controlled his side of the field defensively. Though, I have to say, I loved Tino's goal and the confidenc it brings for him. What a great redemption sory for the young kid. I would love to see him thrive this year. I would name my kid after him if he did!

Posted by: T. Henry | April 6, 2008 2:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: T. Henry | April 6, 2008 2:16 AM | Report abuse

Nice comprehensive win tonight.
Will DC hit its competitive stride this wednesday? I wonder.
Let's hope so. If they can have an opening 4 minutes like they did tonight, they would be level pegging with Pachuca and it would be quite a game...

Posted by: black&red blood | April 6, 2008 2:30 AM | Report abuse

Nice comprehensive win tonight.
Will DC hit its competitive stride this wednesday? I wonder.

Posted by: black&red blood | April 6, 2008 2:30 AM | Report abuse

So what are the chances that four guys would type the exact same thing four times in a row!

Posted by: Wow! | April 6, 2008 2:30 AM | Report abuse

Triple post and a quadruple post... impressive.

Good quotes, Goff.

Posted by: sitruc | April 6, 2008 2:30 AM | Report abuse

wells is a major liability

Posted by: castroviejo | April 6, 2008 2:34 AM | Report abuse

The interwebs hate soccer

Posted by: AlecW81 | April 6, 2008 2:40 AM | Report abuse

Damn, it was nice to watch United dismember and dominate an opponent. I have not seen them so thoroughly spank a team in a good long while.

That being said, it should have been 6 or 7 to zero. Some shocking missed chances.

For once, I love what Soehn did...rather than tuck into a male fruit basket and bolster defence, he takes out Burch, goes to 3 in the back, and adds and attacker! I love it. Go after 'em. Also, he showed some sense taking out Gallardo - save him for Pachuca...after all, regular season means nothing as long as the playoff strucure remains in place. Soehn is starting to think "european" valuing his players against domestic versus international play. Save them for matches that truly matter.

All that being said, a few guys showed somewhat poorly. Fred seemed ineffective on too many occassions, bad touches, bad passes. He doesn't seems to have the spark he had last season.

Is Luci a ball hog or a "striker?" I mean, does he hold the ball too long because that is what he is expected to do or because he showed his indecision when under pressure? He seems to do it with regularity, and it typically costs them goals.

Wells. Hmmm. There was no reason for that last minute goal. A shame to lose a clean sheet. I can't say the goal was his fault, but you would expect him to organize better and ensure his backs do their job. Toronto did not test him. So far, it looks like Perkins was a better keeper. Once they were 3- or 4-nil up, you would think they could put Carvallo in and at least give him some minutes. I wonder...

Great game.

Posted by: Erick | April 6, 2008 4:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR | April 6, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, the concessions situation was pretty pathetic. I stood at the front of a line with money in my hand for like 10 minutes watching guys take hot dogs off the "roller", place them in buns and then in the warming drawer. Not once did someone offer to help me or tell me the line was closed, even when I repeatedly asked them.

Posted by: JB | April 6, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

bummer i missed it! tried the mlsnet tv thing from my hotel...that s*cked..w/ an 11 Mbps connection u think u'd get more than just audio and occasional video..

Posted by: mizage | April 6, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

*It was great to see Jaime being Jaime. He changes the game when he comes on.

*White Gonzalo is just as slow as Boswell or Vanney, perhaps slower. That could be a problem down the line. That said he's a beast in the middle.

*Black Gonzalo was ripping it last night. A central defender who is a threat out of the back with the ball at his feet, that's cool. And he played outside in the 3 back. I'd have given him an 8.

*Niell oh my. Even Kpene would have buried at least one of those chances.

*The concessions were a disgrace. Don't even think about eating this year, and allow plenty of time in the beer line. My decision to abandon the beer line to catch the kick-off looks good in hindsight.

Posted by: WNT fan | April 6, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I wanna crack some skulls against Pachuca this wed.

Posted by: The Jim | April 6, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

"Extremely poor performance by the RFK Vending management. All the decent beer stands not even open, excessive lines at the ones that were...

Posted by: JkR | April 6, 2008 07:51 AM"

40 minutes in line for an ATM...the one and only working ATM at RFK. Do they understand people need money to buy things in the stadium since nobody takes credit cards?

Lines for crappy food and crap beer to spend the money were just as bad.

DC United forgot the fans last night. I know they want the new stadium but they can't totally ignore us for the next 2-3 seasons until that happens.

Posted by: What about us? | April 6, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Simms was the MOTM for me. Had great positioning during the whole game, timed all of his tackles well, didn't make a single bad pass and played a huge role on the second and third goals

Posted by: GoUnited | April 6, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Fantastic quotes. Thanks Goff.

The 3-5-2 actually looked more like a 3-4-3 to me, which is a strange choice when you're up 2-0 at halftime. I guess it was effective, but you have to wonder if that led to the late goal.

Great performance all around by United. I totally disagree with the people who are saying that this game didn't inspire confidence. Simms was MOTM. And it was also real good to see Quaranta work hard and go the full 90.

Posted by: DCUMD | April 6, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

The club has nothing but the power of persuasion WRT concession issues, but it's hard to understand what the advantage to the stadium authority is of leaving this money on the table. I would think enough of last night's 20K were advance sales for them to know it was a potentially lucrative event.

Posted by: stuck in 200 | April 6, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Great game and I really like our new defense. However, Pachuca and Toronto are miles apart and Wednesday is going to be a huge challenge for United.

I agree with other posters that the concessions last night were a joke. Whoever is responsible (DC United? Stadium? City?) needs to be replaced ASAP. They are missing out on millions of revenue. Also what happened to the good beers?

If they players are getting ratings of 6+ DC United admin and RFK get a 0.0001.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 6, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know what Esky is talking about here (specifically "they said a couple of things"):

from mlsnet.com

"We're just Real Salt Lake rejects is all I can say," Eskandarian said. "I know they said a couple of things, their general manager Garth Lagerwey said a couple of things when both me and Atiba left, so I don't think he'll be talking too much about tonight's performance."

Posted by: delantero | April 6, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I called the 3-5-2! :)

I'm in DC this weekend, and channel 4 played some highlights, including Santiago Quaranta's goal...

Posted by: RK | April 6, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

why does anyone eat at the stadium to begin with? unless you have access to the Champions Club and it's "free" food and even that wasn't so great last night. You know the stadium food is going to be horribly over-priced and not very good. So, why not eat before you leave home or tailgate? The same with the beer. Do you really "need" to drink $8 beer during the game to have a good time?

Even the team shop was swamped before the match. They must have been making money hand over fist in there. At least they take credit cards. :-)

As for the ratings, I would have rated Simms higher. He had a couple of good shots, was winning the ball all over the place, and made smart decisions with his passes.

Posted by: Glenn | April 6, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Do you really think that the DCU front office/management is happy about the current situation concerning the concessions??? Please do your homework and realize that they have no say whatsoever with this and it is all the DC Sports & Entertainment Commission...the same people who are trying to screw United out of a ton of rent because the Nats are no longer there as well as any/all RFK repairs, upgrades and modifications that DCU wish to make.

If everyone feels strongly about the issues with concessions and ATMS please write the DC Sports & Entertainment Commission and send your letters to RFK Stadium addressed to them. With enough public voice, they should take action.

Posted by: To What About Us? | April 6, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

If we are worried about concessions, DCUnited must be doing well. I also waited too long in line to get really crappy and overpriced food and drinks. I also bought stuff from the new DCUnited Team Store... also overpriced. I almost expect that from a stadium. But who cares? I am happy the team had a nice warm up game for Pachuca. Muneco y Jaime scored. I feel like we have a fighting chance now!!!!

Posted by: juanma | April 6, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: To What About Us? | April 6, 2008 10:56 AM

Done!

Posted by: What about us? | April 6, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

they wont care we will be dealing with this all year it will really be bad on wednesday when there is a baseball game at the same time i believe its the same company

Posted by: chris | April 6, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: juanma | April 6, 2008 11:21 AM

If you invest millions on a team and brand and then don't capture your full potential revenue on that investment you fail. If your customers can't get money or spend money because of poor services, you have no business being in the sports and entertainment business.

DC Sports & Entertainment Commission
Your Fired!

Posted by: Donald Trump | April 6, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Man did anyone see the RSL Chivas highlights? The goats sure play some pretty football.

Btw, did anyone else find the fireworks to be annoying? We aren't like hockey fans who (even though they are in a closed arena) need artificial noise to get the stadium loud.

Posted by: GoUnited | April 6, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

WNT Fan-

Peralta isn't fast, it's true. He's a beast, as you said, because he stays so completely calm all the time and reads the game much better than Vanney or Boswell. Pairing him with someone fast like Martinez looks really promising, at least thus far.

Everyone confused by the switch to a back three-

Consider it a dry run to see if we can do it against Pachuca. If we find ourselves at 0-0 at halftime or only up 1 goal later on, we'll need to make a switch like that to force the issue. I think it was a very wise decision from Soehn to use a game like last night's for something like that. If it had gotten away from us, we could have moved McTavish into the back and Quaranta to right midfield, so it was not an irreversible decision.

On Wells-

I would have liked to see a shut out, but people are treating Edu's goal like it slipped through his hands or something. That was a superbly placed header on a play where a downward header to the other post seemed most likely. At this point, the only goal I feel he has reason to feel bad about is Pachuca's first. Their 2nd was down to a blown mark by Martinez (just putting a body on Montes would have forced him to slow down and alter the path of his run, and there's no way he hits a bullet header without charging in at full speed), and this one was, for me, mostly down to a good player making a good play.

I'm not saying Wells has been great, but I think he's getting too much of the blame here so far.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 6, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

*I think it's great that the biggest complaints we have are about the food.

*Defense was solid last night, late goal notwithstanding--showed me much more than did our revved up, but not always accurate, offense. If we don't bury those 1 on 1s, Pachuca is going to bury US.

*Fred was everywhere last night, but not always accurately. He seemed almost too excited.

*Emilio has quite a cannon, but no speed or ball skills. He needs only as many touches as it takes to crack off a shot.

*Jaime is still the man. I love that he's still adding to his record instead of resting on his laurels. I hope he can do some damage against Pachuca.

Posted by: viv | April 6, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I was happy to see GO UNITED sign on the stadium and all the signs that says champions on the way to the stadium.
Beer sales - they really need to improve the service. Yes, I had food and drinks before the game but after all that screaming, need more energy. I waited about 15 mins to Sam Adams but by the time I flashed my dollars the guy said "oh I am all out", with 10 or more people behind me. I missed Gallardo goal!!

Posted by: td | April 6, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

has gallardo done anything notable yet this season to justify his salary (i haven't seen dc play yet)?

Posted by: shaj | April 6, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, the DC front office got it half right. I was told there would be Guinness, but I didn't see any. Did anyone else see a Guinness stand? There was a small stand near 231 with Sam Adams and Sierra, but that's about it. Truly pathetic service.

Good game, though.

Posted by: Hoost | April 6, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

regarding the posts concerning the poor concessions situation at RFK: perhaps it is time for united to get more serious about a move to maryland? The DC government is clearly either not interested in keeping the club or too incompetant to get a deal done. Either way, the result is the same for united and its followers. I too think that a stadium at poplar point is most desirable, however we seem not to be any closer to it than we were a year ago or 2 or 3 years ago. Lets get serious about our pursuit with maryland and perhaps it will trigger a more serious attitude from the district. Pressure of a potential lose may be the only thing we have to get their attention.

Posted by: rob | April 6, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the concessions will get a little better once the season starts rolling along.
Were there beer dudes out in the crowd last night? That'd be helpful.
The beer lines and totall lack of beer dudes at the Harbor View game were lame, All the more reason to bring your own.
Some airplane bottles or a flask will allow for slower steadier sippin of the hard to get expensive beers.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 6, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

If I remember right I believe there was a change of vendors this year for DCSEC. New vendors at both stadiums but I don't hear anyone complaining about the bat ball concessions. DCSEC needs to step it up.

Posted by: JMR | April 6, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Steven-

Any idea how much TFC is paying Frogbert? Is he a DP?

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | April 6, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Namoff the man who should have received a red for his last-defender foul on Dichio?

Posted by: Glaucon | April 6, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Concessions: You will see better ones at RFK when Hillary makes hers, as in not likely anytime soon. I waited 15 minutes for a sausage to find out that the cash registers were not working and the attendants seemed content at arguing amongst themselves to occupy the time. Luckily I had exact change and my buddy found another beer line.

Lot's of good things on the pitch. TFC at 10 men more like a doormat though. Pachuca match will be the real first home test of form.

Niell. One word. Shoot! Gallardo is no Diablo (yet). Let the doll play house some more before passing judgment. Peralta's size, skill, presence and read of the game will likely make up for any perceived lack of speed. You can make up for a lot of speed with smarts.

SE and Barra at their black dressing, singing, bouncing best. The latter might have even put Tino bashing behind them (as predicted by posters here). "Dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria!" Did Tino offer up his match jersey as a final act of contrition?

Garber was boasting about a large Toronto contingent making the trip to DC. Maybe ten folks with scarves and a banner constitutes a strong road showing for them.

Posted by: MR Caretaker | April 6, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Did Tino offer up his match jersey as a final act of contrition?
I'm pretty sure that happened after the HVFC CCC match.

Posted by: sitruc | April 6, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

One negative from the game -- I wish they wouldn't give away so many set pieces. They're going to pay for those.

Posted by: RB | April 6, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Peralta: I think he looked slower last night because of the hack-down from Harmes. It seemed to me he was still moving stiffly even in the second half. Obviously he's not super-pacey, but I thought he showed better movement in previous games.

Wells: It's too early to decide that he isn't going to cut the mustard. Remember Perkins' first game v. RBNY? Troy looked completely out of his depth in that one. I don't think Zach has shown the level we need yet, but I'm not going to write him off so fast.

Fred/Tino: It's interesting, I saw this the reverse from earlier commenters. Fred struck me as making better moves in the attack (although he was showboating too much at times), while Tino's energetic play didn't lead anywhere after the opening salvos. I wish we had a way to get Fred into the middle, in front of Gallardo... too many times in the first half, Marcelo had no one in front of him and had to resort to the long ball. Jaime moved into that space in the second half and drastically improved our build-up.

Posted by: Grunthos | April 6, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

There were plenty of beer (or maybe I should say squirrel-pee) vendors in the SE section, if you can call Bud Light beer.

One interesting thing: My seat is in Row 6 of Section 132, on the very edge of SE territory. At one point during the game, an usher went up to the folks in the first few rows in front of me and asked them to sit down because the people sitting to our right couldn't see. Dunno what they said to her, but the folks in front of me (rightfully) stayed standing.

One more strike against the stadium for not telling those folks IN ADVANCE who bought tickets near (but not in) the supporters section that it's customary for people in that section to STAND and CHEER for their team.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 6, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"SE and Barra at their black dressing, singing, bouncing best."

Posted by: MR Caretaker | April 6, 2008 01:52 PM

Ha! With the exception of the few SE's, I don't think SE's are known for their bouncing and singing.

Posted by: DCU fan | April 6, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Down in Mexico, Canada leads Costa Rica by only 1-nil midway through the second half. Are the Ticas closer to Canada and Mexico than many people thought?

Posted by: tri-village | April 6, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

""At this point, the only goal I feel he (Wells) has reason to feel bad about is Pachuca's first.""

I agree with your overall assessment, but the first KC goal was pathetic. I have no idea why Wells dove the wrong way and let the near post go clear. It seemed like an easy stop had he just gone after the ball.

Posted by: delantero | April 6, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

one other thing, maybe it's been touched here but I don't remember seeing it (and definitely no one from DCU said anything before I revnewd). My midfield seats are now at about the penalty spot because they moved the whole field closer to the Barra. Maybe that explains why some fans not familiar with the supporters clubs are getting "obstructed".

Posted by: WNT fan | April 6, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

US vs Mexico Women Olympic Qualification can be watched here:

Posted by: Anonymous | April 6, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

For various reasons, I've missed (thank heavens) the previous games, so this was my first look at the new United. I have to say I like Martinez' hustle, creativity and apparent rapport with Fred, Peralta and Wells. Tino seemed to be a man on a mission, and I'll be happy if he can sustain that energy.

As for the fireworks, they weren't so much annoying as just lame.

Posted by: LD | April 6, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Buehler and Heath are surprise starters, but when you're playing three games in five days, nothing is really a surprise.

Posted by: tri-village | April 6, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I have no complains over fireworks. It's been conducted in other football clubs overseas.

Posted by: td | April 6, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Dwight Schrute once said: "Michael is a man of great depth and passion."

After last night, I would definitely say this applies to Santino Quaranta. Keep it going, big guy.

Posted by: Andy | April 6, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

FYI,

At 5 PM EST Pachuca plays Atlantle on channel 612 (Telemundo) in Howard County via Comcast.

Posted by: strago | April 6, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Halftime
USWNT 3 Mexico 1

Posted by: sitruc | April 6, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

The tattooed one has stuck twice. USA 3 - MEX 1 at the half.

Posted by: tri-village | April 6, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Dallas is leading Houston 3-2 after 70 minutes or so. It is on one of the Spanish-language networks (I'm not sure which one).

Posted by: tri-village | April 6, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see Cooper back in form...

Posted by: RK | April 6, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Is Cooper going to be back in the national team mix anytime soon? It's been about a year since he was last capped.

Posted by: tri-village | April 6, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Once again the Sunday Source section of the printed Wash Post lists upcoming sporting events and excludes DC United's match with Pachuca....

Posted by: JkR | April 6, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR | April 6, 2008 05:18 PM

Write to:
ombudsman@washpost.com
And/Or
letters@washpost.com

Posted by: FC | April 6, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

USA versus CRC Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. EDT. From all reports, Friday's crowd was solidly pro-Jamaica, and presumably they'll be equally pro-Ticas on Wednesday.

Posted by: tri-village | April 6, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure how intimidating it was, but this crowd was pretty good. It looked packed for the US victory over Mexico.

Posted by: sitruc | April 6, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

It's great that Peralta and Martinez look smart and strong enough to hold down the center this season.

Let's also take a moment to note that Houston, owners of the best defense in the league for the past two seasons, have now given up 7 goals in their first two games. Who was on the field for all that mess? None other than our favorite former Cosmopolitan Bachelor of the Year.

Posted by: more blogging less defense | April 6, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Pachuca vs America can be watched live here:

Posted by: Anonymous | April 6, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Ironic, it should be 4-1 Pachuca...=/

Posted by: strago | April 6, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Pachuca locked in a tough one with America. Pachuca scored on a shot from the semi-circle in the 43rd minute, but America came right back with an even more impressive shot less than a minute later. Hopefully, they'll really make Pachuca work for it.

Oops -- Pachuca's taken the early second half lead, with a great cross from the left and a sharp header by Aguilar.

Last night -- I posted my impressions of the match in a thread last night, so I'll limit my remarks here. I wrote earlier that I thought Namoff played a surprisingly good match. Not sure I'd give him MOTM, but he was good. Simms also -- not sure I see a reason to grade Namoff above Simms. I definitely don't see a reason to grade Peralta at that level.

To respond to a comment above, I believe it was Peralta that brought down Dichio, and probably should have been shown the gate. I thought he was beaten a couple of other times, too.

I think McTavish deserved a higher rating than Burch, though McTavish had trouble controlling a few passes that might have produced more.

In the end, I'm not sure there was a standout performance, but it was a solid team effort.

Damn! Pachuca gets another one, and it's not even ten minutes into the second half. This is a good squad that is really on its game. Making up 2 goals on Wednesday seems a daunting task, indeed.

Finally -- concessions. Better than the Harbor View match, but should have been better still. Once again I did not get to buy a beer before heading to my seat. That's $6.50 the Stadium authority didn't get. I did try something new at halftime. Overpriced, and fatty Carne Asada -- but it was better than nothing. Some of us don't get to the game in time to taligate -- many of us even take the Metro, so tailgating isn't an option. Having decent food and good beer available, without having to spend 20 minutes on line (when there's a game being played, that kind of wait just means I'll wait until I get home) would be appreciated.

I realize that the Commission looks at RFK and sees one-fifth as many games there as last year. And, the soccer games are shorter than baseball, without the inning breaks, so they probably see less need to have food concession stands. They're probably right, but still they are missing an opportunity. We're ready to spend money, but they've made it impossible and unappealing to do so.

RFK is a dump, and it's clear that it's going to be even more so, this year. I would say that the DC Sports Commission is definitely sending a signal to United and its fans. If this is what we can expect -- if this is how the Comm'n values soccer -- then it will be good riddance to the city when United is forced to move to the 'burbs.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 6, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

The tattooed one has stuck twice. USA 3 - MEX 1 at the half.

Posted by: tri-village | April 6, 2008 04:29 PM
======================

Finally! A Hawaiian who can score for the National Team!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 6, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

forgot to sign name to Kai post.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 6, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I can't complain, but sometimes I still do:
-Too bad Dyachenko didn't look better.
-I still want to see Fred advance the ball more. I'd rather see a dull move forward than the fancy back-heel pass . . . backward.
-But life is good so far: Simms was amazing. If he plays that well all season, he'll be leaving our island on a boat bound for somewhere better, just like what's-his-name on Lost, whom he sort of resembles.

Posted by: gringo | April 6, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone explain what Burch was thinking when he got his yellow? What a STUPID, STUPID FOUL!!!

I understand about sticking up for a teammate, but I thought the ref had blown his whistle before Burch pushed Kevin Harmse.

Come on Burch, if you are going to retaliate, please do it like Santino did, waiting 12 minutes to foul Marvell Wynne who fouled him early in the second half.

Posted by: Chewy | April 6, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaj | April 6, 2008 12:49 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | April 7, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Probably because the Sunday Source gets it's info from the Post.

Which conveniently leaves out non-MLS games.

Thx,