Decide, Deciding, Decider

After his club's cowardly tactics in the first leg (I'm kidding, I'm kidding!), Sir Alex had this to say about next Tuesday's second match against Barcelona:

"The game now starts at Old Trafford -- it's the decider."

Hold on here! I thought this guy was the decider. Or maybe this one.

The complete Man U story can be found by clicking here.

Will Man U take care of business at home? You decide.

By Steve Goff  |  April 24, 2008; 11:56 AM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Champions' Cup Even
Next: Maradona and Others

Comments

They've put themselves in a bad spot here, well Ronaldo did. It's easy to see this game devolving into a 1-1 draw, which now is all Barcelona need. Even without some key players, Barca are a formidable opponent. For their part, though, I think they probably regret not putting at least one goal away, as well.

I have a bad feeling it ends 1-1.

Posted by: Eddie C | April 24, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I have a bad feeling it ends 1-1.

Posted by: Eddie C | April 24, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I've decided to give Bill Maher a severe beating if I ever see him on the street.

Man Utd at home is tough to beat. I see United going up 1-0 on a Ronaldo goal, then 2-0 late as Barca pushes forward and gives up a counter to Tevez.

Henry back to Arsenal?

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 24, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I imagine ManU pulls it out at home.

But they don't deserve it. They spent so much time hunkered down in their own end in Barca it was embarassing -- 10 men behind the ball and packed in to slow down the game.

I sure wish Barca had punished them for their lack of imagination.

Posted by: scott47a | April 24, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

How's Benny?

Posted by: Bubbles | April 24, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Screw United...

pass the scotch.

Posted by: Paul Gascoigne | April 24, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Man u 3-1

Posted by: chris | April 24, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Man u 3-1

Posted by: chris | April 24, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Man United will win because UEFA has instructed the referees that it be thus.

All kidding aside (if I was kidding), Man United will pull it out at home. But I disagree with Joe Doc, the goals will come from Rooney and Ferdinand (from a Giggs free kick after the ref calls a dubious foul on Barca).

If the match is tied at the end, or if United trails, they will get 4 minutes of added time that will be measured as 7 minutes to anyone with a time monitoring device.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 24, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

In the spirit of the election season, Goff, I have decided that the best decision is to remain undecided. :)

My United is more than capable to do the business at home. That PK would have made life much easier (Mr. 30-something goals and counting), but I believe that they can do it. Barca has got some sort of in-house cleaning to do and I don't think it's going to wait until the off-season. Now's the best time to play them. But then again, ManU is going to have to be smart about this, because 1 goal by Barca could mean some serious trouble.

Now if I were SAF, I'd start by taking the risk of allow Ji Sung Park to go public with whatever pictures he has that has allowed him a whiff of the field. While we're at it, maybe give Anderson the start before (dare I say it?) Scholes.

First things first, wrap up the PL on Saturday and break that Stanford Bridge record.

Posted by: Kosh | April 24, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Man United will win because UEFA has instructed the referees that it be thus.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 24, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Don't misunderestimate Sir Alex.

Posted by: Mysterian | April 24, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Big thing for Barca is MauU had CL match, Chelsea, and then Barca once more. Wonder how the legs will be for the players come Tuesday.

Posted by: KLB | April 24, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Shut up Alex!

Posted by: The Special One | April 24, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

i'm picturing something similar to last years away-home series with roma. 5-1 United. Valdez lets Ronnie have a goal for free after manchester go up 3-0(did you see the way they were looking at each other before ronaldo took that PK yesterday? no wonder it was a miss).

Posted by: moses | April 24, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe Fergie said decider. (Even though he used it more correctly than our esteemed president.)

I'll take United at home, please, with a 2-1 scoreline. Even if I wasn't a fan, I'd believe it. Barcelona had 65% possession yesterday. They didn't even seriously test Van der Sar. All the saves he had to make, he made comfortably. Catching practice. And Ronaldo will be looking to make up for that missed penalty. So I think United will go through.

Posted by: Deanna | April 24, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm certainly no United fan, but Barca are sleepwalking through this spring. Can't see United falling at home next week.

Posted by: Kev | April 24, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I think it depends on which Barca show up as to how they fare. If it's the one from the last few league games, it will be over soon. If it's the one from yesterday they will fare much better, particularly if they give Henry more minutes. He was the only one that wanted to shoot. Oh, and Deco REALLY surprised me yesterday.

Can anyone confirm that Rooney was on the field yesterday? I watched the whole thing and saw absolutely no sign of him, except when he was giving the ball away to Abidal.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | April 24, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"But I disagree with Joe Doc..."

At your peril, my friend. At your peril.

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 24, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Here's some choice words about Ronaldo from Irish television's post-game analysis.

Posted by: jyindc | April 24, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, the infamous Eamon Dunphy. What a d*ck.

Posted by: Kev | April 24, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: Mysterian | April 24, 2008 1:14 PM

Why not? The guy has 'won' precisely 1 CL title that was gifted to them due to a coach playing up to sentimentality. (if Bayern doesn't pull Matthäus for his ovation, United goes home crying...again)
He's had the horses to win 5 CL titles but he's simply not a great tactician when it comes to 'Continental football' that, more than love for United is why he's never been a national team manager.

United will press the attack at home and won't be bunkered in Arena-ball style and will be caught in the spaces. That's what Barca at their best do. If Barca plays 75% of the way they are capable of, they do no worse than draw (with goals) and move on to the final.

Like it or not, in sum total, Barca has a more talented team. They are bigger underachievers, but they are far more talented than United. Oh and Puyol is back next time. Good night, United.

Posted by: papa bear | April 24, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Yes Manu-U takes care is business at home - 1-0 manu - Tevez.

Posted by: bobf | April 25, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

of course United takes care of business at home - 1 - 0 - Tevez gets it.

Posted by: bobf | April 25, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Can you stop saying "Man U" please!?!?!

;)