Friday Night Arrives Without a Suitcase

My suitcase gets packed tonight in advance of tomorrow's day of travel to Salt Lake City.

So the floor is yours until I rejoin you sometime Friday.

Your MLS weekend schedule is highlighted by San Jose's home debut, though not at the Santa Clara University stadium. The Quakes will host Blanco and the Fire at McAfee Coliseum (4:30 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel) in the first of three appearances in Oakland.

Others:
Chivas at Columbus, 7:30
Colorado at New England, 7:30
Houston at K.C., 8:30 (HDNet)
New York at Dallas, 8:30
DCU at RSL, 9
Toronto at L.A., Sunday at 3 (Telefutura)

You'll also be interested in this story from Galaxy camp, where some of the Cuban refugees have turned up.

By Steve Goff  |  April 10, 2008; 8:32 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nowak at RFK
Next: 'We're a Folk-Singing Group From Salt Lake City'

Comments

Doesn't their legal status as refugees have to be formalized before they go to work for the Gals or any other employer? I thought that could take a while.

Posted by: tri-village | April 10, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

So asylees don't count against the international player quota - who knew?

Posted by: Defector | April 10, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Goff, safe flight and thanks for travelling to cover the United game for us.

Posted by: arlington for United | April 10, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Goff, see you at the big Ben Cup matchup at Rice Eccles this weekend. Well, maybe not SEE you, but perhaps a wave at the press box? Either way, hope you have a good weekend here in Utah!

Posted by: rsl ben | April 10, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I hope you aren't flying with Am. Airlines.
Ughhh.
I am dissapointed with the news about comcasts coverage, wishing we were already in the days of the double coverage!
The broadcast in spanish was often not delayed
and less cluttered with GRaPhiX!
So is everyone just gonna wait until Sunday night?
whatever, how many stinking,flaming, hula fudgin' hoops do I have to jump through just to watch a United game uncut and in it's entirety?
Is there a place we could send a simple"this is unacceptable" type of email?
I promise I'll wait till morning to send it.
Does comcast have a bunch of other overlapping issues in tthe near future that the Lowley at home fans need to know about?
If I need to go get the pay per view john at the homies house i need to know now.No big deal. I just need to plan for it...
Thanks Big Man Goff on the heads up.
I think we should let comcast know we appreciate everything they give us but for christ's sake this is soccer not a gosh darn rootin' tootin' nine inning baseball game, it is not a dragged out dogged drama nba game(yawn!), it's 90 minutes split in half that should never ever never ever be cut to " in Progress"
That is GARBAGe!

Posted by: Dadryan. | April 10, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edgell supporter (dcu ben) | April 10, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Please feel to stop by the RCB tailgate (a couple hours before match time- in the west parking lot of the stadium) and grab a cold drink (beer or mormon beer-soda) and a brat or burger.

Posted by: f4denz | April 10, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Watching the hightlights of the CCC games of yesterday I gotta say I'd rather be DC than DYnamo any day of the week. Houston sucked bad. they do suck bad.
At least DC scored.
Rod Rocks!
Niell beat the old man...
We did pretty good Vs Pachuca.
What gets lost in translation in the back can really hurt the team and I really really hope Namoff and Peralta can start talking.
fo real!
I'm not pointing fingers but I don't think double teaming some on who is no where near the ball is a good defensive strategy.
Crush RSL slowley.
Relax pass the ball to Jaime, pass it back to Gallardo, pass, pass, shoot, shoot!
World class in players in all portions of the field.
Gallardo and Moreno could really create some sick opportunities for some strikers who are sleeping on there own shooting booots! Wake up #11!

Posted by: Dadryan. | April 10, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Let us know if anything from this lyric rings true. It's "Salt Lake City", from a bunch of kids known as the Beach Boys, lead by Brian Wilson:

There's a park near the city, yeah
All the kids dig the Lagoon now
It's full of all kinds of girls
And rides and we'll be flyin' there soon now
And girl for girl
They've got the cutest of the Western states
They got the sun in the summer
And winter time the skiing is great yeah
Salt Lake City we'll be coming soon

Posted by: BaltoFan | April 11, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Great, now Lalas is signing refugees. Do they qualify as "discovery" players? Youth Internationals? Generation Fidel? Where are they going to live, the trunk of one of Beckham's cars?? So many bad jokes, so little time...

;-)

Posted by: Throwin | April 11, 2008 1:36 AM | Report abuse

I will NOT wait to see the replay game one day after the game is over while there is LIVE going on so even though I don't understand a word of spanish I will be tuning into Telefutura. There is a reason why it's LIVE game and since they promised to show it LIVE and DIDN'T AGREEE TO CUT THE GAME and than show half way through.
Someone provided Comcast e-mail in the earlier News thread yesterday that we can send the complaints.

Posted by: td | April 11, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Out of all the MLS (and USL) teams why would they want to play for the Galaxy?

They could have taken a bus to Boston and found an owner and coach who would probably take them at this time without a tryout.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 11, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Mondays child has learned to tie his bootlace.

See how they run.

Posted by: swinreston | April 11, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

The look on Toni's face after scoring in the last second to defeat Getafe says it all:

Posted by: RK | April 11, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Dadryan

That was one heck of a - I don't even know what to call that.

Was your brain hooked straight into the computer to compose that?

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | April 11, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Soccer reporter.
Bloggers at your feet.
Wonder how you manage,
Deadlines to meet.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 11, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | April 10, 2008 9:15 PM
================

Don't Cuban defectors in the have legal status automaticamente if they request it? The "water below the knee" rule.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 11, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Work? Who says they are getting paid?

Posted by: RK | April 11, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

"The Quakes will host Blanco and the Fire at McAfee Coliseum (4:30 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel) in the first of three appearances in Oakland."
--------
Is it true that, if you're sick entering McAfee Coliseum, you're immediately deleted?

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 11, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Wow. That was bad. Time for you to go home for the weekend, Joe.

Posted by: RK | April 11, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what would happen if some haitians had defected and shown up at the galaxy's..i assume they would have been arrested and deported.

Posted by: mizage | April 11, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 11, 2008 9:42 AM
===============

Bah dum tish!

(drum sound effects)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 11, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Cut Joe Doc a break. The liquor stores don't open until 10am, and the cough syrup hasn't kicked in yet...

J/K. ;-)

Posted by: Throwin | April 11, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

hahahahaha we need more joe docs in the world

well anyways, in canada you're certainly welcome

Posted by: van beuren | April 11, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"Dadryan

That was one heck of a - I don't even know what to call that.

Was your brain hooked straight into the computer to compose that?"

In Canada, we'd call that a wake 'n bake ;)

Posted by: van beuren | April 11, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Back to soccer: I caught the extra time part of FSCs Getafe-Bayern Mu"nchen re-broadcast.

The Getafe keeper was awful on Toni's 2 extra time goals. On the first, he spilled the ball and Toni cleaned up. On the second, he was out of position and was back-pedaling. I feel bad for the other 9 guys on the field. I'm sure the local papers are eviscerating Abbondanzieri.

OTOH. Getafe, down a man, had some good runs at the goal in the extra time, but were content to slow down.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 11, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Wow. That was bad. Time for you to go home for the weekend, Joe.

Posted by: RK | April 11, 2008 9:46 AM

I'm outta here. Don't forget to tip the waitress.

Actually, I'm at the Caps game tonight. I will enjoy a cold beverage for all of my Soccer Insider colleagues.

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 11, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Has there been any word on negotiations for an "arrangement" with Pachuca? I've been busy for the past couple days and haven't been able to follow the news. I can't help but think that all the vocal support they got at Wednesday's game would just be more encouragement for Pachuca to try a partnership of some type.

Posted by: Curious | April 11, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

270, I haven't seen the highlights yet. The papers aren't focusing on blame, at all -- they are lauding the team for its accomplishments and commiserating, crying "blue tears." All of Spain rallied around the working-class team that anyone could follow (since they aren't Barca or Real).

BTW 9.5 million (of 42 million) Spaniards watched this...

Posted by: RK | April 11, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

J/K. ;-)

Posted by: Throwin | April 11, 2008 9:52 AM
-------------
But the Sudafed has!

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 11, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

US WNT official game announcement (Goffer already sniffed out this scoop) for 7 pm KO on 5/10 is imminent. No DCU conflict so hopefully will be a good turnout.

El Salvador MNT v. Guatemala MNT also visiting Estadio RFK May 30, 2008. A decent Friday night futbol option.

Posted by: MR Caretaker | April 11, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if the United shop is open this afternoon? I'm flying in at 3:30 and wanted to get a a No. 19, Clyde "The Panther" Simms jersey in honor of the Southern Man. Hours???

Posted by: unitedinatlanta | April 11, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 11, 2008 9:31 AM
==========================================

There is almost no question that they will be allowed to stay in this country, just as I'd like to think that there is no question that my passport will be renewed. However, the process can take a while in both cases, and in the case of the Cubans, it may interfere with their jobseeking.

Posted by: tri-village | April 11, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah -- to that SI loyalist I met during halftime (whose name totally escapes me right now, sorry), it was great to meet you and your blonde friend with the green jacket!

Posted by: Juan-John | April 10, 2008 2:17 PM
__________________________________________

Juan-John, It was a pleasure to meet you as well. We can't believe we have been sitting across from a SI blogger all this time.

See you Thursday.

Posted by: Sec. 131 | April 11, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if DCU sells their red (training?) jersey anymore?

Posted by: RK | April 11, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: unitedinatlanta
______________________________________
unitedatlanta....here you go...

The Official Team Store is open Monday - Friday; 11am - 6pm and on Game Days four (4) hours prior to kickoff, and closes thirty (30) minutes after the conclusion of the match. Call 202.546.7023 for more details or check out the Official Team Store located at Main Gate behind Section 317..

Posted by: Smitty | April 11, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if DCU sells their red (training?) jersey anymore?

Posted by: RK
_________________________________________
Hey, RK

I have one from 2006 but I believe that was the last year they sold the red ones (before they switched to the black training jersey with the red "cross-over" on the back). However, there may be some laying around RFK??

Good luck,

Posted by: Smitty | April 11, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

@unitedinetlanna and RK: Don't you people want to wait until DC has a jersey sponsor?!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Besides, it's noon and no-one has brought it up yet :-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 11, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Wake N' Bake!
Hahaha.
I posted that at night,loooong work day for an unfit bike courier.
Six pack of Grolsch, a big burrito and yes maybe a trip back to the Ol' work bench since the mother in law was in the house.
The tv listing on Washington post is not what it used to be. Will the DC United game be on one of the spanish speaking channels on Saturday night?
That'd do da trick!

Posted by: Dadryan | April 11, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Interesting piece from another blog:

"Filled with facts and figures, the [MLS team] media guides are indispensable aids to covering the league, but the books also inadvertently tell much about the identity of individual teams. . . . D.C. United, which chose to acknowledge their especially fervent fan base with a crowd shot. Logical covers in each case."

Posted by: WNT fan | April 11, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

So.... three Cubans show up in LA or wherever in MLS, and if they are good enough, three Americans get cut from the team - shouldn't the MLS Players Union be raising their hands about this to the teacher.

And weren't the Cubans playing for clubs in Cuba? How do they get around FIFA laws on player transfers? Doesn't the Cuban FA still hold their player registries if they are 'amateurs'?

Posted by: AM | April 11, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

If you buy MLS Direct Kick you will get DC vs RSL live at 9PM. I have Cox out of Fairfax VA. It is $79 but worth it. So far all the games have been on. It is on Cox's Channel 656.

Posted by: jumpy | April 11, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

270, good memory :)

Actually, I saw the red one last year and liked it. I want one now to play in now, though.

Posted by: RK | April 11, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

If you buy MLS Direct Kick you will get DC vs RSL live at 9PM.
==========================================

In the previous thread someone raised the possibility of a local blackout. What is the story?

Posted by: tri-village | April 11, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Any Easybeats (Friday on my mind) reference? Or is this a lyric I don't recognize?

Posted by: Kartik | April 11, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Kartik --

The Beatles, man. "Lady Madonna."

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 11, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

methinks someone needs to edumacate these youngsters...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

OMG, can't believe the Beatles reference flew over my head..........yes it is from Lady Madonna, you are correct!

Posted by: Kartik | April 11, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

beatles fans -- fab faux at the warner 4/26

Posted by: WNT fan | April 11, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

methinks someone needs to edumacate these youngsters...

Posted by: | April 11, 2008 1:33 PM
====================

Beatles: The band with that old guy to whom Heather Mills was married.

Rolling Stones: The band with that old guy who played Jack Sparrow's father in Pirates III.

Eric Clapton: The old guy who was married to the woman who had been married to a guy in the band with that old guy to whom Heather Mills was married.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 11, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I thought that old guy was in Wings?

Posted by: ANTM | April 11, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Seems like no one's actually focusing on the opponent this week...have we not yet learned about RSL's ability to play their very best against us?

When you look at RSL, their strength is clearly in the center of midfield. They'll likely play a very narrow midfield diamond, with Talley at the bottom, Beckerman and Kovalenko to the right and left respectively, and Morales underneath the forwards. Beckerman and Kovalenko will be pinching in a lot to crowd out Gallardo, and I also have a feeling they're going to try to funnel us into playing through Simms more than we'd like. The key will be creating real width to give Gallardo (and if he's fit, Moreno) the space they need. Fred and McTavish/Quaranta will need to play really wide. For Fred, this means staying wide until the last 20 yards or so. We will also need to get Burch more involved coming forward.

Their defense is there for the taking. Wingert and Joy are sub-par, while Borchers and Mantilla are still learning about each other. If we can play wide and then come back in once we get deep (on the dribble, like Fred on Dyachenko's goal against Pachuca), I predict a nice night for us and a great chance for Emilio to renew his confidence (not that he needs it...if anyone has ever shaken off misses, it's Lucigol).

Defensively, we have some natural match-ups coming: Peralta vs. Deuchar and Martinez vs. Findley/Espindola/Movsisyan. As long as we keep the miscommunications out of our game, we should be able to hold them off. With RSL lacking any capable wide players, Namoff and Burch can pinch in a bit and help crowd any RSL attacks down the middle out. This will force them to either push Wingert and Joy forward (giving us more room to hit them on the counter) or push Beckerman and Kovalenko into wider positions (both are less comfortable with that, and it will also allow us to cut through the middle in transition much easier).

If we try to play through the middle, I think it's going to be a much tougher game. RSL has more rest than us, they're at home, and they always treat their games with us like a cup final. Playing a team with those things going for them at their game is a recipe for defeat. We need to stretch them and let our higher skill level show through, rather than let this turn into a scrappy game.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 11, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I thought that old guy was in Wings?

Posted by: ANTM | April 11, 2008 2:16 PM
--------------------
Do you mean Roy Biggins?

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 11, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Without getting all analytical and expert-sounding like Chest Rockwell I think this is an opportunity for a classic letdown. Last year we played well against Guadalajara and then started off MLS 0-3 against the likes of Colorado and Columbus.

In the past couple weeks our energy and main focus were on a tougher opponent in Pachuca. Now we travel to a "lesser" opponent at Salt Lake. Except this "lesser" opponent has beaten us more than once recently.

Posted by: garbaggio | April 11, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Friday night I crashed your party
Saturday I said I'm sorry
Sunday came and trashed me out again...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

RSL's ability to play their very best against us?
///////
Make sense. When DCU plays against the quality team they play their best except the lost in Pachuca but it's got good excuses, i.e., fitness, travel and the high altitude.

Posted by: PK | April 11, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AM | April 11, 2008 12:43 PM
==========================================

The union represents all players, not just Americans.

As to how the Cubans deal with their former teams, does anyone know whether this was an issue with Galindo, and if so, what the resolution was?

Posted by: tri-village | April 11, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Chest Rockwell deserves his own pre-game show.

Stating the obvious: If the RSL midfield pressure forces Emilio to come back to receive the ball and then take on defenders, then we're in for a long and unproductive night. We definitely need get deep with good play on the wings, so "Listen to What the Man said."

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 11, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

So the floor is yours until I rejoin you sometime Friday.
By Steve Goff | April 10, 2008; 8:32 PM ET
===============================

Geez! How long does it take Steve to pack for a one-day trip? :-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 11, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"goff, make sure to leave extra room in your suitcase to transport the Ben Cup back to DC.

Posted by: edgell supporter"

Unnecessary, as it will be staying in Utah for yet another year. However, maybe he can use that room to bring you a bottle of fry sauce or something.

Posted by: rsl ben | April 11, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

SUNDAY MORNIN CREEPIN LIKE A NUN.

GOTTA LOVE THE BEATLES HEADIES.

Posted by: dk | April 11, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Great to read some analysis that makes some sense C.Rockwell.
I am glad we have pulled our heads out of the clouds after the not getting through in the CCC.
I 'd say I agree on all yer points especially about getting the communication right in the back. The players are there and they are technically superior but without being on the same page they really highlight Wells being out of position.
In Wells defense I don't know what could be scarier for the dude than watching and hearing his boys not getting each other in front of the net.
If the whole team could lay their eyes on your report I think we'd be better off.
I gotta say also that I am still happy for Niell making the best of his chance on Wednesday night, he needed more than Rod but both goals still mean a whole heck of a lot to the fans.

Posted by: Dadryan. | April 11, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Tri,

I hear you, but this seems to be a very technical legal issue where U.S. law would supersede FIFA statutes on employment, which Sepp NEVER lets happen in any country. If these guys came from any other country, they would be international players, subject to U.S. Soccer and MLS player restrictions. Also, if they defected to any other country, they would be not be classified as domestic players.

And where the Players Association should be concerned is if three guys making 40k a year are cut because the Cubans are happy to play for 30k instead. I realize soccer is a what have you done for me lately job, but I would think the Union would try to protect their members from being undercut like this.

Posted by: AM | April 11, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

At least we made it to this final.
Finalists in '05, '06, AND '07!

VAMOS UNITED!

Posted by: Jason | April 11, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

At least we made it to this Final.
DCU were finalists in '05, '06, AND '07!

VAMOS UNITED!

Posted by: Jason | April 11, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post.
It's 5:46 on Friday and I'm still at my desk.

Wonder if Goff packed his hair dryer and travel iron.

Posted by: Jason | April 11, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Why are the Quakes playing at McAfee? Are they really expecting that large of a crowd? Anyone know how many they're expecting?

Posted by: Andy | April 12, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Andy: I don't know why they were at McAfee, but the fact that this is a season opener, indeed the return of MLS to the Bay Area after an absence of three years, may be a factor. So may the fact that the game was nationally televised (FSC). The MLS site reports that today's attendance was slightly over 20,000, which is far more than they could have accommodated at Buck Shaw Stadium, where they will be playing most of their home games. I'm not complaining, because I'm not sure that substandard venues such as Buck Shaw and that minor league baseball park near Kansas City project the best image of the league on national TV.

Posted by: tri-village | April 12, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse