Guevara to Toronto

From Honduran star Amado Guevara's rep, Patrick McCabe: "Guevera has signed and will arrive in L.A. on Friday."

Guevara, who had been playing for Motagua, reached a deal with MLS. His previous MLS club, Chivas USA, then traded his rights to TFC for undisclosed 2009 and '10 draft picks. The Canadian club will face the Galaxy on Sunday. Guevara's home debut will be next Saturday vs. RSL.

"This trade was made in the best interests of our club," Chivas Coach Preki said. "We feel good about our group right now, and since the player in question did not fit into our plans, we made the best available deal for his rights."

By Steve Goff  |  April 9, 2008; 5:43 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: DCU-Pachuca
Next: DCU-Pachuca Aftermath

Comments

Chivas finally gets rid of him almost a year later. Funny, I remember him saying he didn't want to go to Toronto last spring.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | April 9, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

If he keeps his head screwed on straight he improves Toronto and the league. Good for them - I only relish NY and LA being completely inept. The fans in Toronto deserve a better product.

Posted by: Henchlow | April 9, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

"Toronto was desperate for help and Guevara fills a playmaking role, but will he dramatically improve the club?"

=======================================

Depends on which Amado Guevara shows up - the League MVP or the moody primodona.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

No doubt he will improve TFC. I think to much has been made of his 'mood' issues. (I suppose every league needs some villians. The C. Americans seem to fill that role in MLS, eg Ruiz, Herron, Pavon). He plays well more often than not. I think being a league MVP says it all. He will be far more productive than current MLS big earners, eg Conor Casey. Guevara, with 'attitude' and skills, is more effective than 95% of players in MLS. imo

Posted by: nico | April 9, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

NO. Can you say has been.

Posted by: Johnny | April 9, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Considering how out of shape FCT looked last Saturday night, and how generally gawd awful TFC is in general, Gollum can only help.

Posted by: Big Roy | April 9, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

He'll clearly improve TFC's side. However, its equally obvious one man no matter how he plays wlll only make so much of a difference there. I won't claim to have an idea how well he'll do but he will help them.

Posted by: Kire | April 9, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Well I was wrong with my post yesterday. Guess I should have more respect for Goff's sources.

Posted by: Curious | April 9, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

One player cannot dramtically change the team, but I am sure he will bring something to TFC.

Posted by: jaguar515 | April 9, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jaguar515 | April 9, 2008 11:40 PM
-------------------------------------------
Yeah: Cancer to the locker room when he doesn't get his way.

They are desperate and Mo figures that he can "manage" him but after spending some time with one of their players that I know at their hotel, I can tell you that if this goes sour, this is the last thing that club will need. Their is already a pretty high level of frustration brewing.

Posted by: yankiboy | April 10, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Cunningham/Dichio

Robert Edu Guevara

Robinson Harmse/Brennan

Brennan/Dunivant Wynne

James Marshall

Sutton

Depends on Ricketts MF and Tielby Cb trials.

I would say yes.