Happy Weekend

Slow day so far. Let's keep it that way.

D.C. United is off this weekend, and so am I.

You should know that the DCU reserves rebounded from a two-goal deficit to beat Columbus, 3-2, this morning.

Keep a look out in Saturday's print editions (available online late tonight) for a human interest feature I wrote on a unique local USL player. I think you'll enjoy it. (I'm assuming the story will run in tomorrow's paper, but there's always a chance it could get held back for a day or two.)

Otherwise, I do not plan to rejoin you until Sunday morning after the Olympic draw.

Feel free to discuss any weekend futbol matters in the comments section.

Cheers!

By Steve Goff  |  April 18, 2008; 1:01 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Women's Olympic Draw Results

Comments

Fantastic! DCU's reserves had an own goal, too!

Posted by: RK | April 18, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to check out some of the reserve games. Do they open a lot for parking?

Posted by: PGS | April 18, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

========
Why aren't any of the seniors do this? They need to practice and take chances. Don't wait wait wait touch touch touch until the ball is taken away.

Posted by: td | April 18, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Good point, TD.

My daughter and I had a lengthy conversation about why it's a bad idea for midfielders (or forwards) who are just 22-25 yards from the net to play the ball WIDE! It's too compact to get behind the defense at that point. Just play a combination with a target player or, better yet, put a shot on frame.

One of the biggest weaknesses of the American player, in my humble opinion, is the inability to shoot from distance. It's a lesson for all of us youth coaches -- we need to encourage our kids to fire one from outside the 18 every now and then.

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 18, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

HAVE A GO LITTLE DOC! DON'T BE SHY!

Watch Carli Lloyd, she sends in some bombs.

Posted by: WNT fan | April 18, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

The field is right next to Lot 7, and parking there is free.

3 goals by 3 rookies: Stratford, Barlow, and Cordeiro. I wish I was able to tell who had the long assist to Cordeiro for the winning goal, because it was a beauty.

Lineup looked something like:
------------Carvallo-----------
Zaher-Curtin-Mediate-P.Caroll
Cordeiro-Murphy-Stratford-Kirk
---------Niell-Dyachenko-----------

Jeremy Barlow came in for Curtin at the half and played CDM, sliding Murphy back to central defense.

Posted by: DCUMD | April 18, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc: I completely agree with you.

Goff: What is the reaction from Argentina media about last night's game? I heard the game was shown live in Argentina because of the Gallardo-Sheletto, River-Boca rivalry.

Posted by: td | April 18, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I agree, TD. It was like watching the Caps power play. Pass first and find that perfect shot.

They need to take shots. Simms did, though it went high, at least he took the shot from outside the 18.

Posted by: dcfan | April 18, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Great blog Mr Goff:

Any comments on how you see the TFC/RSL match going down tomorrow?

Posted by: bgnewf | April 18, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Good point Doc. We rarely see US players take that monster blast that causes nightmares for keepers - you know like Scholes, Essien, all Italian strikers, Podolski, and so on and so on. When are guys take that once in a year chance it is always some ugly section tripple Z type deal. What gives? Can't be the ball. I think our players just don't know how to strike a ball well. I have never played anything to the level of a pro, but isn't that something they teach you along the way? Is it a temprament thing? Like our guys just don't have that cool calm determination on the ball?

Posted by: Kosh | April 18, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Emilio has taken his share of grief, and deservedly. However, target players do need some space to work with, especially if they're trying to turn and get to goal. Emilio was surrounded by yellow jerseys because Columbus knew a shot from distance was not coming.

If Simms, Gallardo, Fred, Burch, et al would put some shots on frame from 25 yards and beyond, opposing MLS coaches will note that in their pre-game film sessions. THEN Emilio might find he has a bit more space in the box with which to work.

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 18, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"..fire one from outside the 18 every now and then."

------------------

Boy, do we miss Ben Olsen...

Posted by: ML | April 18, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I thought a player could only play 90 minutes between reserve and first team in a given weekend. That would have ruled Dyachenko and Niell out at some point in the second half of the reserve match. Did they change the rule?

Posted by: Matte | April 18, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

You are the best, Goffinho!

Have a great weekend and thanks for all of your hard work and the insight you provide.

Posted by: Smitty | April 18, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matte | April 18, 2008 3:10 PM

I believe they increased it to 120 minutes.

Posted by: OnTheEdge | April 18, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone noticed this weekend's MLS games schedule? The games are timed so you can watch every game this weekend (live) except for 1/2 of the SJ/COL game or 1/2 of the HOU/LA matchup, whichever you decide.

That game sucked last night, but at least we can watch a bunch of MLS soccer this weekend and try and forget the loss.

Have a great weekend, SI Nation.

Vamos United!!!!!!!

Posted by: Smitty | April 18, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Boy, do we miss Ben Olsen...

Posted by: ML | April 18, 2008 3:02 PM
========================================

Careful, you might inspire someone to post a link to some footage of Erpen.

Posted by: tri-village | April 18, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Goooo chicago right?
If DC can't get their act together who will be my number 2?
I hope Luciano stops sniffin glue or whatever it is that's slowing his body and mind. I suspect the Homer Donuts at 7-11...
Good job to the back line for scoring ALL the goals last night. It's gonna be a loooong week I hope them Bammas get some rest and practice shooting!
Have a great weekend Goff and please don't bring up divine intervention pre game again, it certainley revealed your faith in the team at this point in the season but sheeesh.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 18, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

If Simms, Gallardo, Fred, Burch, et al would put some shots on frame from 25 yards and beyond, ..
-------------------
From Behind the Badge's coverage of the Reserve game:

"Stratford took his first touch towards goal and, from 25 yards, smashed a shot to the far post that whizzed by a helpless, diving Andy Gruenbaum..."

Posted by: seahawkdad | April 18, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks OnTheEdge. That actually makes more sense. Allows a guy to still get steady work in the reserve division while being available for first team minutes.

Posted by: Matte | April 18, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

when i was playing in my youth, i always remember that when we had scrimmages we set up these small goals. one time in grad school i was playing and there were these perfect goals like 8 x 6. before we started it was decided that any shot over three feet high that went in would not count. when i complained, people said it would discourage people from taking long shots. it was the dummest thing i ever heard. rippers from distance are the best thing about this sport.

Posted by: mizage | April 18, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

All this talk about striking from distance reminds me of the number one highlight of my high school athletic career -- the goal I scored in the very last game of my senior season (fall of 1981).

Funny thing was, it was intended to be a chip pass for our center forward and all-Dayton (Ohio) North leading scorer (we played a 4-3-3, which looking back amazes me, because we were REALLY bad...a 5-4-1 probably would have suited us better).

As it turned out, I was deeper in our offensive end than I thought, and when I let fly and looked up, the ball was fading back to the right (I'm left-footed) over the jumping keeper's outstretched arms, under the crossbar, and into the back of the net.

When I looked around making sure there were no flags up, I noticed I was about a yard or two outside the area.

Alas, that was the last goal of our season -- West Carrollton ultimately demolished us, 9-2. But I got my goal!

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 18, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't know whether this affected the Copa Libertadores action:

Posted by: tri-village | April 18, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Great blog Mr Goff:

Any comments on how you see the TFC/RSL match going down tomorrow?

Posted by: bgnewf | April 18, 2008 2:28 PM
_____________________________________________

Law of logic says if we beat TFC 4-1 and RSL beat us 4-0 then RSL will clobber TFC 8-1.

Posted by: peridigm | April 18, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Who else is missing Boswell, Vanney, or even Erpen? Peralta has been absolutely awful the last two games. No wonder he was playing in the Argentine second division. DP on a CB? It wouldn't be the sexy move, but it would help us win games. Martinez has been solid though.

I'm also kinda missing Perkins. He is much better than Wells. Man, I miss our old team.

Posted by: Mark | April 18, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | April 18, 2008 1:53 PM
-------------------------------------

If you went back and watched the game again, I think you'd count at least 5 attempts to shoot from outside the box. Sure, it's not 25 out, but around 20 is close enough. Peralta had one, Namoff had one, Emilo had one, Simms had one (remember his sweet one last year?), and either Gallardo or Quaranta took a rip but had it blocked two feet away.

The problem is that none of those were on frame, that's why you don't remember them. But don't castigate DC for not taking long-range shots. They do -- just not well.

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 18, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Tommy Soehn,

Sigi Schmid owned you tactically and it doesn't hurt that he was able to throw simple counters out of midfield for chances.

It's apparent that DC United has no offensive speed and couldn't finish off a Guinness.

Olsen is sorely missed as McTBone has met his early limit.

To win, this team needs to stay compact defensively. Everytime we get stretched, we don't respond well as a unit.

We don't counter worth beans and everyone in MLS knows it.

Defense first, please. Winning one-nil is fine with me at this point.

Posted by: delantero | April 18, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Harksey, I know you read this as it's your job to come to the best of soccer blogs.

AH LAY HAAAAAAAA N DRO

not AH LAY HANNNNNDD DRO

Posted by: delantero | April 18, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

All is futile!

Posted by: Ecclesiastes | April 19, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

SportzNut - my top HS athletic highlight memories involved the back seat of a Pinto! Now, that takes athletism.

;)

Posted by: JSF | April 19, 2008 1:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised, that in our fervor, no one has yet to mention filing a discovery claim on Jose Manuel Miranda (GK-Cuba U-23) yet.

I'm also surprised that I am awake and Emilio hasn't had the early season benching like he had last year.

Posted by: B.A. | April 19, 2008 2:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure LA already has that Cuban Keeper in training there.

Posted by: AlecW81 | April 19, 2008 2:45 AM | Report abuse

Check out Bobby Boswell's site - Kpene is on tryout with Houston.

Posted by: Bubbles | April 19, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Weren't the U20s supposed to have played Portugal yesterday? I can find nothing about it at the U.S. Soccer site or anywhere else.

Posted by: tri-village | April 19, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Weren't the U20s supposed to have played Portugal yesterday?
Posted by: tri-village | April 19, 2008 12:34 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
The game didn't go well for the US . . .

Posted by: emanon | April 19, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

AlecW81,

I know. I was hoping someone would consider pulling a Lider Marmol regarding Miranda.

Posted by: B.A. | April 19, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Fulham 0-2 Liverpool

It's not looking good for America's Team...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 19, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Miranda? He has no right to be there.

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 19, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Once again, baseball's Moneyball maestro, Billy Beane, pops up in a soccer/football discussion:

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 19, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Here's Goff's article from Saturday's print editions:

Posted by: tri-village | April 19, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Kpene gets around. I thought I read that he played for the NE reserves last week.

Posted by: Glenn | April 19, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Here is a new allegation about artificial turf. You can make of it what you will:

Posted by: tri-village | April 19, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Off this weekend?!?!?!? Someone should be at RFK doing windsprints! :-)

Gomez makes it look likes it is hard to breathe in ColoColorado.

Pintos are dangerous, especially the back of Pintos :-)

Posted by: Lonnie | April 19, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

25 players named for the US good national team friendlies including RFK, 18 to suit up per game. Mitts, Wagner included.

Posted by: US good national team fan | April 19, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Watching the Galaxy game, it appears that Joey Franchino from the Revs just got traded to the Gals.

Weird. He's still listed as a Rev on MLSnet.

Posted by: viv | April 19, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Careful, you might inspire someone to post a link to some footage of Erpen.

Posted by: tri-village | April 18, 2008 3:34 PM

Did you see the COL/SJ game tonite? (Sat.) Erpen had one of his famous, or is that infamous, missed tackles and Kamara from SJ goes on to score the 2nd goal to seal the game. Some things never change.......
on a side note, pretty small looking crowd for a beautiful night in Colorado.

Posted by: boda united | April 20, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Viv, MLSnet sucks it's injury reports are innacurate, I'm not surprised to hear of more inconsistency. I think the trade deadline was the 15th he must have gone then?

Posted by: Dadryan | April 20, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

on a side note, pretty small looking crowd for a beautiful night in Colorado.

Posted by: boda united | April 20, 2008 12:01 AM
------------------------------------------
Avalanche at home vs wild maybe? or they just suck. Who knows

Posted by: The Jim | April 20, 2008 2:45 AM | Report abuse