He Makes How Much?

We were the first to bring you the long list of MLS salaries earlier this evening (see previous thread). Now we offer a few numbers that might have caught your eye:

BARGAINS
Maykel Galindo, Chivas: $79,750.
Brad Guzan, Chivas: $103,974.
Juan Toja, Dallas: $150,000.
Devon McTavish, D.C.: $33,000.
Marc Burch, D.C.: $33,000.
Stuart Holden, Houston: $33,075.
Jeff Larentowicz, N.E.: $33,000.
Sainey Nyassi, N.E.: $17,700.
Khano Smith, N.E.: $46,305.
Will Hesmer, Columbus: $70,000.
Kenny Cooper, Dallas: $83,000.
Scott Sealy, K.C.: $34,728.
Jozy Altidore, N.Y.: $128,333.
Dane Richards, N.Y.: $33,000.

HMMM
Shavar Thomas, Chivas: $98,750.
Jim Curtin, Chivas: $104,004.
Conor Casey, Colorado: $190,008.
Abdus Ibrahim, Dallas: $103,000.
Quavas Kirk, D.C.: $136,500.
Patrick Ianni, Houston: $108,000.
Dave van den Bergh, N.Y.: $274,583.
Nikolas Besagno, RSL: $136,500.
Dema Kovalenko, RSL: $207,618.
Ramiro Corrales, San Jose: $202,500.
Carl Robinson, Toronto: $330,000.
Collin Samuel, Toronto: $193,000.

Who would you add to, or remove from, these lists?

By Steve Goff  |  April 3, 2008; 11:55 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Salaries Are Here
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Even after looking at some of these for a few hours, I'm still shocked by many of them.

Posted by: sitruc | April 4, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

I would trade Gallardo for Toja in a split second

I would add Gallardo to the hmmm list (more than Juan Pablo Angel) ???

first !

Posted by: diego r. | April 4, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

I think what this shows is the immaturity of front offices, insofar as there really isn't a unified level of negotiation or talent assessment. In a few more years, after the next round of salary negotiations, I think the market prices will normalize a bit and the talent pool will be mature enough to bring players in at the right price.

Posted by: Logan Circle | April 4, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

I swear Kovalenko did some work off the bench last weekend.
More than Kirk could claim for DC anyway. Maybe you could say twice as much work.
We are all aware of Big McT's goal scoring potential.
Posting kinda late Mr. Goff did you get your Beckham fix?
What will the Haters say in the morning about Donovan and Beckham?...

Posted by: Dadryan | April 4, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

additions to the hmmm list

LA
Buddle 157k
Vagenas 138k

Posted by: Ben | April 4, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

additions to the hmmm list

LA
Buddle 157k
Vagenas 138k

Posted by: Ben | April 4, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

The haters will say their team still sucks and will bleed goals this season. Sucks big time.

Posted by: Goose | April 4, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Look for Brad Davis to be let go when Stuart Holden needs a pay raise.

Posted by: Tim | April 4, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Shavar Thomas was outstanding for Chivas USA last year, so I'm not sure why he warrants a "hmmm."

Posted by: blurp2000 | April 4, 2008 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Nikolas Besagno...how...just how?

Posted by: NCfutbolfan | April 4, 2008 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Vagenas for $137,812.50 has to be on the hmmmm list.

Posted by: Ryan | April 4, 2008 1:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, and I know this should probably be in the previous thread, but NO ONE deserves to be paid less than $13,000 for participation in the so-called "Top-Flight" professional soccer league in the United States.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 4, 2008 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Abdus Ibrahim (FCD) is on a Generation Adidas contract, like many other FCD players. These don't count against the cap and are supposed to entice young talent to sign with MLS, so a lot of the wacky salaries can be explained that way. That said, it's weird to see so many of the FCD kids paid way higher than many of the established starters.

Posted by: Chris | April 4, 2008 2:19 AM | Report abuse

I would add Gallardo to the hmmm list (more than Juan Pablo Angel) ???

Posted by: diego r. | April 4, 2008 12:34 AM
--------------------
After a grand total of ONE league match?! Typical Washington fan... No patience at all.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | April 4, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Nyassi makes $17,700 a year, but so do A-league minor league baseball players so what's the big deal?

Posted by: MLS Apologist | April 4, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse

where can you see the entire list for the league?

Posted by: bubbles | April 4, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me like we should have retired Jaime and his salary, paid Gomez what he wanted and acquired Gallardo, too. Looks like we would have had the money, and could've picked up another striker for $100,000 from Africa or South America for backup. Change to a 4-5-1, and imagine this starting 11:

Emilio

Fred - Gomez - Simms - Gallardo - Olsen

Burch - Gonzo (either) - Namoff

Wells/Carvallo

That midfield is the stuff of dreams, with Simms and Olsen dropping off for defensive cover, and the other 3 playing Total Football, Ajax style.

Please, SI community, who are more knowledgeble (sp?) about these matters than I (I'm talking to Chest, I-270, etc), could this not have been done?

Posted by: grotus | April 4, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chris | April 4, 2008 02:19 AM
-------------

I was about to say that. GenAd is specifically designed for guys who aren't ready yet but have big upside like Abby. The fact that some of these kids will bomb (Besagno) just goes with the territory. But if every third one generates a $1m fee or multiple all star teams, you've justified the program.

Posted by: S | April 4, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Gallardo should be taken off both lists

Posted by: D. Conrad | April 4, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I will never get over the fact that supposedly savvy sports fans will be shocked that there are players in MLS who negotiate favorable contracts and don't live up to them and others who outplay their potential and look "underpaid."

It's just like every other league in every other sport in the world.

Posted by: Brian | April 4, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

It is weird to me that someone could get drunk everyday, wake up late, do an all around ok job for the afternoon as a bicycle messenger and still make more money than some of these guys in MLS.
Maybe they could get some sort of Government subsidy?
I'm a stay at home Dad these days but I still have more earning power than some of these guys.
Dudes, I owe ya a beer after the next match.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 4, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Can we pass the hat for McT? FO better step up and sign him to a long-term deal.

Posted by: boda united | April 4, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

It is weird to me that someone could get drunk everyday, wake up late, do an all around ok job for the rest of the day as a professional baseball, football or basketball player for a couple of years and then never have to "work" another day in his life.

Posted by: WNT fan | April 4, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Tatoo Niell making more than Toja - definately warrants a HMMM...

Chris Klein - that is another hmmm to me.

Sasha Victorine appears overpaid.

Talley making 6 figures???

Posted by: Henchlow | April 4, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"Maybe they could get some sort of Government subsidy?"

I hope this is a joke. You think that money comes out of thin air? No idea why taxpayers should support professional athletes.

Posted by: Colin | April 4, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Devon McTavish, D.C.: $33,000.
Marc Burch, D.C.: $33,000.

Not just because I'm a DC United fan, but that is effed up.

Burch was a revelation last year and he only gets $33K

He really needs a better agent!

Posted by: Dave | April 4, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Burch was a revelation last year and he only gets $33K

He really needs a better agent!

Posted by: Dave | April 4, 2008 09:36 AM

----------------------------------------

Wouldn't matter. MLS signs young players without many other good options to low-paying, long-term contracts. There's no incentive for the league to renegotiate for Marc Burch and Marc Burch had no leverage when he signed the deal.

Once in a while, a guy like Boswell gets a chance to re-up at a higher number if he adds more years to the deal, but then visions of Europe dance in the heads of young men and they register a domain name and all hell breaks loose.

Posted by: Brian | April 4, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: grotus | April 4, 2008 08:00 AM
=================

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 4, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Schelloto at 425 is a bargain. He had more of an impact on Columbus last year that all of the higher priced players combined.

Put him on a good team and just imagine what he would be doing.

Is there any way to get back Niell's contract? He isn't worth half that much. Looks like the FO got burned on that deal.

Posted by: Jeremy | April 4, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Kirk still has time to earn that money (he's what - 19?), but it would be a good sign of progress if he could at least beat out Dominic Mediate for third choice on the wing.

Posted by: Jeff M | April 4, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Your are right about Shavar Thomas. He deserves much more than $98,000. He is an outstanding center back and he proved it again last year.

Posted by: BigLarr | April 4, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I think none of the Gen-adidas should be on here...but Kirk hasn't done anything to earn that paycheck yet.

Posted by: Sean | April 4, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Addition to the bargains list:

Bouna Coundoul - GK - Colorado - $33,000

Are any other starting keepers even close to that salary?

Colorado fans voted him team MVP last year (granted, there weren't many bright spots for the Rapids last year, but Coundoul was definitely one of them). In my opinion, one of the top 3 keepers in the MLS. He's going to shine this year.

Posted by: Malaga CF fan | April 4, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

"I don't think Namoff is fast enough for a 3 defender formation and (IMO) Fred still needs to work on his defensive skills. But I'll defer to Chest R, who is the knowledgable one. I'm mainly comic relief."

It'd be a 4-5-1 so a slow Namoff wouldn't have been the problem, but a slow Emilio would DEFINTELY have been a problem. He also doesn't have the holding skills to be a lone top. Either way it's water under the bridge now, so why worry about what could have been?

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | April 4, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Jesus christ, will people stop making the minor league baseball analogy. It's not applicable, because minor league baseball players pay adjusts to the major league level IF they play for the big boys. There salary doesnt stay at the 17k mark they are making, it jumps to the league min prorated for they number of days they are there. Until MLS changes that, its not applicable.

Posted by: Josh | April 4, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

---

You're right in your point here, but so is the analogy. If you're 23rd on the depth chart, you are basically a minor league player, a "cup of coffee" AAA-er. MLS could, and probably should fix the system so that guys make the major league minimum for the time they're actually in the game, but otherwise, the main difference between a DEV player and a AAA player, or even better the NBA's D-League, is that the MLS DEV player happens to play in the same town as the major leaguers.

Posted by: S | April 4, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm the knowledgeable one? I thought I just talked a lot.

Could this have been done? I don't think so. If Moreno didn't want to retire, we couldn't force him to, for one. I also believe we wouldn't have offered Gomez the guaranteed years he wanted, in any situation. I think the front office's plan for getting a DP required him to be a name big enough to interest existing MLS fans, Eurosnobs, and the Hispanic community. Gomez would not have fit that bill.

Finding another striker somewhere requires believing we have an endless well of talent to pull from. While we're extremely well connected in South America, I don't think we can reasonably expect more than 3 good signings from there per offseason. There has to be a guy who doesn't adapt to the US, or someone who doesn't fit our style of play (Donnet, for example, would have prospered in a 442, but was here before we switched).

I also prefer Emilio to have a partner. With the personnel listed, I would have pushed Gomez up as a forward. He plays so high up anyway, and Emilio needs someone to draw defenders. He's great at escaping his marker without the ball, but doesn't create too many of his own chances.

The total football mentioned also wouldn't come off with that group. While Fred, Gomez, and Gallardo could switch about with little problem, Emilio can only play one position: striker. He's not a visionary passer...really, he's not even inclined to pass at all. All he can think about is goals, which on this team will bag him 15 or more if he avoids lengthy injuries.

Coming back to Moreno, I still believe that our players haven't learned to cope without him. The way we played in KC and Pachuca looked remarkably like how we looked whenever Moreno missed out last season. Offensively confused, we would resort to playing over the top, forcing Emilio into footraces he doesn't often win or Niell into shoulder-to-shoulder challenges that end with him on the ground. Yes, we did thump Harbour View without Moreno, but their suicidally high line and generally low quality guaranteed that. When Moreno is in, he holds the ball longer than anyone else we've had, giving our midfielders time to get into dangerous positions. When he's not in, people believe we have Sam Eto'o chasing things down up top. I say this every time it's suggested that Moreno retire, because I'm still waiting for us to play anywhere near as fluently without him.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 4, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Let the record show that the comment about the Government Subsidy was a joke.
We are in DC after all and you know what they were doing on the hill this week don't you?
If you could get real representation in congress for DC what would be wrong with a little pork headin' DCU's way?

Posted by: Dadryan | April 4, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the responses, 270 & Chest. I agree, Chest, that Jaime is important to the team when he plays, but that is growing less and less frequent. The injuries are running together. It's not surprising to me that the two guys that are hurt are our viejos. Crucial viejos to be sure, but viejos nevertheless. This team has to set it's sights on what happens when Jaime and Benny retire, because they are going to. Where will we be then? I just think we have to be a bit more proactive about the situation. I love Ben and Jaime as much as the next guy, but there comes a time....

Posted by: grotus | April 4, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Now, as for notable bargains/wastes (I had to pare my list down a bit):

BARGAIN
Dasan Robinson ($44,625) - capped, athletic guy that can play any defensive position
Lawson Vaughn ($33,000) - underrated, versatile player
Colin Clark ($33,000) - Best bargain in MLS, along with Richards. He's one of the best left midfielders in the league. Absurdly underpaid.
Omar Cummings ($33,000) - He's not that great, but he is their first choice forward

WASTE
Justin Mapp ($171,000) - How many years do you get to be a potential star before you're a letdown?
Chris Pozniak ($101,000) - 6 figures for a guy who only brings hard work and aggression to the table? You can find kids at the draft to do just as well for 1/5 this amount
Mehdi Ballouchy ($93,000) - Unbelievable. I would honestly offer Ballouchy a developmental deal if I were an MLS GM. He just isn't very good.
Jovan Kirovski ($220,000) - Still living off of somehow ending up in a Champions League game.
Steve Cronin ($75,000) - I know he's their #1, but he's still just a back-up playing because there's no true starter.
Alan Gordon ($72,504) - Of the MLS players to see regular playing time, he is the worst.
Ian Joy ($120,000) - He's no more than a back-up in MLS, much less a 6 figure starter. RSL's tribute to their past follies, I guess.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 4, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Biggest shock to me. LA Galaxy.

Everyone says they have no depth because they spend all their salary on 3 guys, when they actually have no depth cause they overpay very mediocre players. They have 8 guys making >100K. NE has 7. Chicago has 6. Their roster is pathetic cause they are paying guys like Buddle, Klein, Jakic
and Vagenas big money. Plus they signed Quavas Kirk to the $100K deal.

Lalas is horrendous.

Posted by: srfinger | April 4, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Dema Kovalenko, RSL: $207,618

This doesn't surprise me at all once you stop to consider that between fines and insurance premiums, the league probably gets 50% of this money back every year.

Posted by: Kenobi | April 4, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Stuart Holden at $33k??? Wow, that's the bargain of the century. He'll be a fixture on the USMNT for the next 10 years.

Posted by: jrnail23 | April 4, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

WASTE

**********

I've been pacing myself. See ya ---

Posted by: Justin Mapp | April 4, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Bargains? Chris Rolfe @ $86 K. Yeah, he was injured last year, but when he was healthy he was... ON FIRE!!!

Sorry, I coulnd't help it.

Posted by: Modibo | April 4, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I would take Kovalenko off the Hmmm list, trade him back to New York, and double his salary . . and add him to the Bargain list. ;)

Posted by: sublicon | April 4, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

i think Carl Robinson is worth the money. Not sure his worth is easily visible on a poor team like Toronto, but I think he is a good D-Mid...better than Mastroeni.

Posted by: nico | April 4, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Josh - I assume your minor league baseball comment was directed at me, since I don't think anyone else brought it up. I assure you, I was being very very sarcastic.

And S, I would say the difference is more than just playing in the same city. They play on the same team. That's a big difference. There's no way New England's Gambians are comparable to minor league baseball players who might play in the same city as the parent cluc.

There's a difference between someone playing on a different team, and afixing an arbitrary label on certain players already on a team in order to justify paying them below the league minimum.

-Justin

Posted by: MLS Apologist | April 4, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I think Kirk is highly overpaid to just sit on the bench. gallardo is overpaid period, wells is the biggest joke of any keeper i rater have tony meola who lets in 209303 goals in the indoor leauge or fricken granubauem he is better, letting christian gomez leave united was stupid and pure stupidity i also think kenney cooper should make at leave 200000 dollors a year NICKOLOUS BASAGNO makes 6 figures BIGGEST JOKE OF THEM ALL! ANYONE AGREE with me on that???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Posted by: mike from germany | April 5, 2008 3:30 AM | Report abuse