Maradona and Others

And we thought Diego Maradona was brilliant in tight spaces.....

Story here, video below.

*USA and MLS veteran Tony Sanneh, who will turn 37 in June, had been working himself back into shape with his old club, Hertha Berlin, in hopes of signing somewhere. Sanneh, who played nine games for Colorado, returned to his home in Chicago yesterday. More details as I learn them.

*Is Spanish midfielder Gaizka Mendieta coming to MLS?

*USA winger Jeremiah White, who made his international debut this past winter, had scored in each of his last two matches for Aarhus in Danish league play before a 1-1 tie with Copenhagen today. He had missed several weeks with a broken jaw.

By Steve Goff  |  April 24, 2008; 1:45 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Decide, Deciding, Decider
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Does anyone know where Gaizka Mendieta's going in MLS? He is a very good player.

Posted by: bubbles | April 24, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Maradona?

"Follow the yellow brick road. Follow the yellow brick road..."

I think I'm one of the few Tony Sanneh fans. But at 37, I'd have to think his pace is gone. He ought to be thinking about coaching somewhere.

Posted by: Joe Doc ('sup, yo) | April 24, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Mendieta, you have a call from Gilles Grimandi parked on the white phone.

(picks up red phone)

No, the white phone.

Oh, sorry.

Posted by: AM | April 24, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

No word on whether he committed a hand ball during the scuffle.

Posted by: Andy | April 24, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

A Spaniard? Woohoo!

Posted by: RK | April 24, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Good to see some more washed up midfielders come over Stateside to support terrible football clubs...whoops! That wasn't a Becks reference.

Posted by: ashburner | April 24, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Goff, thanks for the update on J-White. I have a few friends in Denmark whom support AGF (Aarhus), so I enjoy keeping track of their progress. Its been a rough first year back in the Superligaen, but at least they are above the relegation zone.

Posted by: Redd | April 24, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Sanneh can't be any slower than Peralta.

Posted by: Henchlow | April 24, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

"Er kommt von Washington United, genau wie ich damals."

He comes from Washington United, exactly as I did back then.

Washington United? Will we never get any respect?

Posted by: Capitol Hill | April 24, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha! After years of suffering past-their-prime Europeans in MLS, we return the favor by sending Sanneh to Germany.

Washington United, disrespectful? Well, Germans would be able to place Washington easier than DC.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 24, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Sanneh: (loosely translated) I can help the American youngsters (like Arguez) who come to Germany learn their football ABCs, even though they all come in wanting to be Maradona . . . .

funny.

Posted by: WNT fan | April 24, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Goff
Any word on Toja making the starting XI this evening?
anyone?
Is the man with the ape drape gonna play or not?
HOw about Oduro?

Posted by: Dadryan | April 24, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I-270, Exit 1 - LOL! Great comment, thanks for the chuckle!

Posted by: Modibo | April 24, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

See, there's hope yet for me!

Posted by: JOB | April 24, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Does the title of the Bild article read

Sanneh: I sleep in Hertha's dirty linens? Or is it "clean linens"? Bettw"asche verstehe ich nicht?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 24, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

No thanks to Giazka, he was awsome a couple years back, and wasnt there like a rumor almost 2 years ago he was going to colorado? Even back then he was a bench warmer for Middlesborough...

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | April 24, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

It is just linens, no sense of wether they are clean or dirty...

Posted by: Capitol Hill | April 24, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

man I hate when people use Google or High School German class to translate German. :)

The title is saying he sleeps with Hertha Berlin bed sheets.
He's a filthy liar because even Hertha Berlin players on payroll wouldn't sleep in that garbage. :)

Oh and he's not 'REALLY' training with Hertha, he's training with their Oberliga Nord side (which is like 4 divisions below the BL.1 and will cease to exist as a league at all after this year or next) It's basically like training with the USL PDL teams.

He really needs to hang it up.

Posted by: papa bear | April 24, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

is it just my pc or is that waterford ad the most annoying ad ever.

Posted by: David | April 24, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

man, New England is playing on the road against FC Dallas. Stadium is empty.

Posted by: football | April 24, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

football,

I don't think they allowed any fans in the stadium tonight.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 24, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I'll predict an attendance of 500 (including players, coaches and beer vendors)

Posted by: Red Seats | April 24, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

At least those 500 fans are getting to watch a great game.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 24, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Nats and Wiz are on and winning. I'm beginning to regret recording NBC Thursday night to focus on sports.

Posted by: sitruc | April 24, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Dax is a tenacious little bugger ain't he?

Posted by: Dadryan | April 24, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Why do all fans do the Seven Nation Army thing. It is really annoying and very unoriginal. Can't fanclubs come up for more than the tune of a song? Glad DC United does not do this (i think, at least not often).

Posted by: Garret | April 24, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

As long as Dallas isn't playing DC I'm rootin' for em.
Hard thing to admit for a Redskins fan.
Cuz the Cowboys suck on the broke back mountain tip.

My chant las year was:
Tooooooooojaah!
Go back to Dallas
with that Mullet Braaah!
He's shortened it up.
Must be the influx of other Hair Farmers from down South...
Columbus gets my vote for Hair team of the year.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 24, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Heap's a Heap.

Posted by: madryan | April 24, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

What was up with ESPN's camera angle on Smith's goal? It was a good effort and a good goal, nonetheless...

Posted by: Andy | April 24, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

That NE goal by Khano Smith appeared to be New England deciding they wanted to score. I'm pretty sure they had been trying not to before that.

Posted by: sitruc | April 24, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Alvarez=tripped by ghosts

Posted by: Dadryan | April 24, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

What was with the pathetic streamers after the Wizards game? Oh this is the Soccer Insider. Even with the Nats winning, it is a relatively boring night in sports. I wish Dallas had played with some of that intensity and skill they showed late, during the rest of the match.

Posted by: sitruc | April 24, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Go Soulja Boy!
Richetti had a sick strike
too bad it went wide

Posted by: Dadryan | April 24, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Seeing FC Suburban Dallas' gate draw last night made me throw up thinking about PG County.

(And wasn't it $1 Beer night, too?)

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | April 25, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse