Matchday: DCU vs. TFC

[updated]

Greetings from Estadio RFK.

A few notes.....

*Almost all of the Nationals signage inside the stadium has been replaced with DCU material.

*DCU and Pachuca have had very preliminary discussions about entering into a partnership -- similiar to the one United has with Brazil's Atletico Mineiro -- and will chat further next week.

*Is Bruce Arena really doing color commentary on the Wizards-Rapids broadcast in the Kansas City area today?

*The first United-Nats conflict will occur next Wednesday night when both teams play at home. Although they no longer share the same stadium, there is an issue: parking. The Nats run a fan shuttle from the main RFK lot to their new ballpark, but with DCU facing Pachuca on Wednesday, those baseball folks will have to park in Lot 7 instead of coming through Lot 8 off the freeway and the shuttle bus will have to cut through neighborhoods to reach its destination. If you travel via Metro to RFK, expect some crowded trains Wednesday -- the Wizards (NBA, not MLS) also have a home game.

DCU LINEUP: Wells; Namoff, Martinez, Peralta, Burch; McTavish, Simms, Gallardo, Fred; Quaranta, Emilio. Don't be surprised if Moreno comes on in the second half. New signee Laurent Robert starting for TFC. Samuel and Dunivant did not travel.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts are welcome here.

By Steve Goff  |  April 5, 2008; 5:43 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday Warm-Up
Next: DCU-TFC Aftermath

Comments

First?

VAMOS UNITED!

Posted by: Curious | April 5, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I'd really like to see kirk n carvallo today. Only problem with benching wells is he needs more time to gel with his defense

Posted by: matt Y | April 5, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

are the toronto fans travelling to the game?

Posted by: Paul | April 5, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

5-1 the good guys. Vamos United!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC United Fan | April 5, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Any radio?

Posted by: guy | April 5, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

At 6:00 p.m., traffic was a bit sluggish approaching the 14th Street Bridge, but otherwise was moving smoothly. Since parking near the Verizon Center is so limited and expensive, most people will probably be going there by Metrorail anyway. At the District end of the bridge, there is now a huge overhead sign that proclaims that the SW Freeway is the road to Nationals Park and the Verizon Center, with nary a mention of Estadio RFK. (The older RFK signs are still in place, but farther along the freeway.) I guess that makes sense if nobody expects RFK to be around too much longer.

Posted by: tri-village | April 5, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

guy,

Radio is on WFED 1150 AM. Should also be on their website, http://www.federalnewsradio.com, and I think the pregame is starting soon / already on.

Posted by: Johnny | April 5, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Yes there is radion but you'll have to check the DC united website with the station location.
They list the tv and radio options.
Vamos United!

Posted by: Dadryan | April 5, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Any radio?
==========================================

WFED (1050 AM), with a weak signal out of Silver Spring, or on your 'puter at:

Posted by: tri-village | April 5, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Here's a change of pace: Aficionados of another sport complain that having a soccer pitch laid out causes problems for them:

Posted by: tri-village | April 5, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

COME ON UNITED!!!

Posted by: andrew | April 5, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

how can any one get paid 13k a year and live in dc?

Posted by: castroviejo | April 5, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Live in Olsen's basement!

By the way thanks for the radio links. I'm good to go, the Guiness is cold!

Posted by: guy | April 5, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Anyone trying to watch the game online and getting nothing? I called the MLS customer service line and they told me that they're experiencing technical difficulties so the service isn't working, but the girl I spoke to was such an idiot, I don't necessarily believe her.

Posted by: DE | April 5, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

can anyone post TFC's starting lineup/formation?

Posted by: J | April 5, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Goal. DC 1-0. Don't know who scored.

Posted by: Bart | April 5, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

That awful player Emilio...

Posted by: RK | April 5, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Goal. DC 2-0. Santino. In the 5th minute. Emilio scored the first.

Posted by: Bart | April 5, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Not a bad start!

Posted by: Bret | April 5, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Emilio only scores in MLS games :)

Posted by: Bart | April 5, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

My God, people are still getting beer!

Posted by: RK | April 5, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

The toronto announcers are idiots. Apparently we have two argentine center backs. The dude even commented that G Mart played for colombia and he still keeps saying " the two argentine cb's"

Posted by: matt y | April 5, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Toronto will always suck if they keep building their team with English 2nd division rejects and unskilled canadian hacks Please get edu and wynne off that team so they can learn to play real soccer

Posted by: matt y | April 5, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

worst announcers ever!!!!

Posted by: XioPik | April 5, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Sutton just made the save of the year off that emilio header. He robbed emilio on the initial shot that lead to santinio's goal.

Posted by: matt y | April 5, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: matt y | April 5, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
What do you know about Moose going to Vancouver?

Posted by: guy | April 5, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute - so you are getting video from MLS live?! I had a feeling that she was making it up! I'm totally getting a refund...

Posted by: DE | April 5, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Can we trade Emilio and Gallardo for Sutton and a cheerleader to be named later. God, are they awful. So, we get two "junk" goals.... how nice. Every wide open shot and one on one with the goalkeeper ends up being an embarrassment. I watched Christian play today in the Rapids game. Man he is so much more effective than Gallardo. Zack Wells does not give me any warm and fuzzies back there either.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

huh?

Posted by: Johnny | April 5, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DE | April 5, 2008 08:14 PM
-----------------------------------------------

I'm getting it on both a Mac and PC, although on the PC it's pretty choppy, a lot of freezeups.

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 5, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm on a Mac and I can't even get the video to start up at all...in either Safari or Firefox. Radio's working though...

Goal!!!!!!! Gallardo!!!

Posted by: DE | April 5, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm getting the video on MLSLive nice and clear- looks like a good crowd too- have they gone back to the policy of closing the upper deck?

Posted by: Ricky B | April 5, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Moreno adds a level of class this team needs. Albeit Toronto is down a man (and its Toronto), but our possession and creativity improve tremendously with him in the game.

We'll need him to have any chance of getting past Pachuca.

Posted by: Bret | April 5, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

==========================================

If any portion of the upper deck is opened, it will be the sections directly above the press box; i.e., on the same side as the cameras. So it would be difficult for you to tell from a telecast.

Posted by: tri-village | April 5, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Moreno...the night is complete

Posted by: matt y | April 5, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I want Perkins back. Wells is out of position all the time. That should have been a clean sheet tonight, but he comes forward when he should have stayed back and gets beat by Edu. Very poor.

Posted by: KC in Ohio | April 5, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

If you're driving home from Estadio RFK, you won't encounter any precip this side of Quantico and La Plata. If you're taking Metrorail, the Caps fans with whom you'll be sharing the train will be very happy.

Posted by: tri-village | April 5, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

perkins isn't coming back

Posted by: addo | April 5, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | April 5, 2008 09:28 PM
===================
I fear a beer-fueled fight over which sport is "bigger" and whether average attendance is more important than total attendance. I hope Mastodon Juan is present to defend truth and justice.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 5, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I heard Cunningham hit a ball into the upper deck! lol wow

Posted by: andrew | April 5, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah that was pretty funny. The crowd hollered a sarcastic cheer :). Simms played awesome as did Quaranta

Posted by: GoUnited | April 5, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Good thing to get first win of the long season. Surely a better start than last year... :-)
Goff, how is Jamil Walker recovering? It would be nice to have someone who can run on the flanks when the game's outcome is already decided. We miss Joshua Gros' grit. But then again, he will make more money as a cubicle-dweller than as a professional soccer player in the MLS. Here's hoping for lucrative league TV contracts before 2020!
We probably don't have a chance against Pachuca, though Jaime could play and give us a lot more options to score, by himself or by distributing.
Good thing Caps are in. A good story: From bottom-dwellers to making the playoffs. Yet, this is a DCU blog.
Beat the Tuzos!

Posted by: Lassiter | April 5, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Good result for DC, they can get some confidence from this game. They should not, however, take too much from it as Toronto looked like a team who have no idea how to defend for their lives.

Posted by: Red Devil | April 5, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Terrible result! United only scored 4 goals (bringing the goals per home game average down to 4.5) and even allowed a goal (bringing the goals against average up to .5 for home games).

All the nay sayers were right! The season might as well be over. Fire Soehn now!

Posted by: Curious | April 5, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Goff, how is Jamil Walker recovering?
========================================

Walker was last seen around these parts nearly a month ago:

Since then he has been sighted around San Jose, although I'm not sure whether they've offered him a contract.

Posted by: tri-village | April 5, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Good for United!
Good for the Caps, at least I could keep one eye on that game while at the ol neighborhood adult parents and kids birthday party.
Dude soccer nerds don't fight with the hockey nerds you might not win.
It's hard to say though...
Two of the harder sports should get along right?
The only thing that would be better is to throw on some Dallas Cowboys fans on the train.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 5, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't get why we can't play that way every match. Granted Toronto is woeful, but I mean the little things like running off the ball and hustling for all the loose ones. If that sort of effort happened every match we would never lose.

Good to see that hack Harmes sent to an early shower. If ever a player had a more appropriate name I don't know what it would be.

When did Luci get so S-L-O-W? He got caught on several breakaways. I seem to remember him being faster last year.

Tino was running around like crazy all game. And I thought Fred had a very good game but still gave the ball away a bit too much. But I think MotM should be Simms. He wins the ball all over the place and makes a good pass 90% of the time.

Posted by: Glenn | April 5, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

As nice as the 3 points are to get, the game didn't leave me feeling that rosy. I missed the first 20 minutes and didn't see the replays of the first two goals. The sending off of the Toronto player looked somewhat suspect from the one clip I saw of it. Honestly, playing 11 v 10 when the 10 are Toronto, we ought to do better than 2-1. And even then, Gallardo's goal looked offside on the choppy streaming replays I saw, although the Canadian announcers didn't seem fazed by it. Moreno's goal was kind of crafty though, one of the slowest goals I've seen in a while.

Overall: Moreno looked slow as molasses and yet more skilled than most on the field, Simms was awesome, Dynachenko was terrible, Fred looked pretty dangerous at times but not quite sharp enough, Quaranta surprised me both in terms of ability and hustle, Neill is a mystery -- a striker who appears to have no idea what to do with the ball once he's in the box.

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 5, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Interesting game. Toronto really is awful. They reminded me of LA against Colorado last week - just dismal defense. It was good to see Emilio looking more active; I think the altitude in the Pachuca game must have kicked his butt, because he looked much more dangerous this evening. Quaranta looks good, and Martinez and Simms played well too. Having said that, there are certainly areas we can improve.

Wells is not inspiring confidence thus far. Peralta, who I thought looked solid in his first two games, got burned several times tonight and was this close to hauling someone down in the box on more than one occasion. Fred is still as apt to spray a ball to no one in particular as he is to make a spectacular play. Moreno still needs to regain his form (he still looks a little thick, and how many times did he try to bust a ball up the middle to have it intercepted by the TFC defender?) And Niell needs to learn to use that speed for good - way too many offsides. Although I will give him props for staying on his feet much better, and for a sick assist on Jaime's goal (what's that, his pass to Moreno wasn't intentional? prove it!)

But a 4-1 win has to feel good to the guys, and gets the monkey off their backs in general. Hopefully they will come out composed but determined against Pachuca. Anyway we can get Bruce Boudreau or Alex Ovechkin to give them a pep talk on playing in high pressure games? C-A-P-S! CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Posted by: JB | April 5, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I heard Cunningham hit a ball into the upper deck! lol wow

Posted by: andrew | April 5, 2008 09:37 PM

The ball was actually caught by a fan in one of the boxes. That game was over in the first 5 minutes. Through much of the first half Toronto was pressing as much as they could. DC decided to possess in the second half. Too bad that they let in a goal.

Posted by: sitruc | April 5, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

"On the whole, DCU grew predictably complacent as the game went on, misfiring on good chances and giving up a soft goal. Hopefully this is still just early season shaking out the cobwebs and not an indication of a general lack of mental fortitude."

...or maybe they were simply conserving their energy for Wednesday night?

Posted by: silentbob | April 5, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Goff's article is here.

Posted by: sitruc | April 5, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Well, I was a minute late getting to the seating section -- heard the roar and got to a vantage point in time to see Emilio's shot rolling in. At least, I got to a seat before the next goal. A reminder not to be late at RFK. DCU comes out fast. Nice seat, btw. Sec 203, Row 1, great seat for the 1st half, practically front row view of the Toronto goal. Never did get to the Barra Brava this night, but they were in their finest form, as were the Eagles. Heard well clear across the pitch.

Have to echo some of the comments here, but not all. Simms played a very nice game. Even though he didn't put it in the back of the net, he was threatening on offense. Tino actually played quite well, and not just on the opportunistic goal -- from my vantage point I thought Emilio's shot might have gone in, but replay seemed clear enough. Tino made some nice passes, and had another good effort at goal.

Yes, Emilio is incredibly slow. Caught from behind repeatedly. While it's true Toronto was down a man and the game in the bag, our offense seemd just a tad more elegant and effective with Moreno in. Not to take away from Gallardo, but I think it got better still, after he went out -- but, only because Moreno was really finding his stride.

If Fred could have done more with those crosses out on the wing, this would have been a huge rout. I thought Fred's best effort came when he got the ball in the middle. Perhaps Goff is right about where Fred would be most effective.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure it was Fred who sent in that fantastic first-half cross that Emilio nearly put away, but for an acrobatic save. That was United's best effort of the night, even if it went unrewarded.

What else? The bad? Peralta. He was the weakest link tonight. Burned badly at least twice, and fortunate the pass was just a bit long on the first. I didn't see who was at fault on Toronto's goal, so I won't add that to the list. The offense --Niell? At least, Moreno saved his hide when Niell couldn't finish off the break. He looked threatening a number of times, until he actually got the ball. Emilio got caught too, but he can finish. We haven't seen that from Niell. Perhaps, he'll be more effective in the Open Cup...

Wells? A mixed bag. Once again, he made a wonderful save of a ball that came in low, just under his arms. That's a tough ball, but Wells stopped it cold. He's got great hands, anyway. The goal? I could see it coming when Toronto came down the wing. With his height, it seems to me that Wells ought to get to a ball like that, but give Edu credit for placing his header top corner. If he can do that with the national squad, I'll be thrilled to death.

The rest of the squad played solid, mistake-free ball. Not spectacular, but good enough. McTavish had a few moments. So did Martinez. Even Namoff looked good. Burch didn't look so good, so it wasn't a surprise to see him come off -- but it was a surprise to see the formation change. I wouldn't say Moreno was in the midfield -- more of a withdrawn forward. But, it sure worked like a charm.

Of course, this was Toronto, in RFK, and they were a man down most of the match. They will ALL be harder than this one, but it was nice to see the team put together plays and maybe get confidence back. Look out, Pachuca?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 5, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

BTW -- I'm thinking maybe it was Quaranta who set up the Emilio header that was so brilliantly saved. I wrote above, giving Fred credit for the cross, but now I"m not so sure. Anyone recall?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 5, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Great comment by Tommy on Tino: "...his feet were good today". That's really it with Tino. Sometimes he blithely drifts into offsides position and stays there. And he sems to get a bit over-excited right now, launching some hopeless shots, when there were better options -- but his real weakness is that sometimes his feet betray him. Not tonight. Beautiful, Tino. More to come just like it...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 5, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Generally, one would have to be happy with a 4-1 victory but I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed. 11 on 10 vs. Toronto ought to yield a more dominating performance than we saw - at least in my opinion. We looked alright but that's about all I'd say.

Fred seems to be looking stronger this year. I'm confident the defense will continue to improve. Wells is just okay so far. Niell is so so so far.

Hey, it's early and I expected things would take awhile so I'm not surprised but let's just say I'm impatient to see our team get better. I don't feel hopeful about the Pachuca game.

Again, very early in the season. Don't mean to sound negative.

Posted by: Kire | April 6, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

I just Looked at the highlight reel and it looke great.
I have not any one's game analysis, etc.
Emilio gettin it done the way he does.
It all looked pretty good for highlights.
Ass stompin support and strong overpowering play that couldn't be answered.
Highlights tell a decent tale and the score line proves it.
Wish I was there man.
My heart was telling me all along what was going down.
I first checked the match tracker @ the 55th for the first time and was darn happy.
Vamos United.
I think WE CAN TAKE DOWN PACHUCA.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 6, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Esky just got past Rimando for a goal. There is no doubt that HDNet has the best picture for soccer. It doesn't even look like the same Home Depot Center that was on display just a few days ago on ESPN2HD. Chivas beats RSL 3-1. The score isn't indicative of the play though.

Posted by: sitruc | April 6, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

As a heads up, Bikini Destinations is the programming following the RSL-Chivas match...

Posted by: sitruc | April 6, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Great result. I was especially happy with the play of Quaranta and Gallardo. I hope Soehn finds a way to keep Quaranta in the starting lineup. He adds a great dimension.

Gallardo isn't as flashy as Christian was, but Gallardo has the ability to influence the game so much more. He is so composed and shows the ability to control the tempo of the game. He's a great leader and can distribute the ball. I'm pretty impressed so far.

Posted by: smcdave | April 6, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Bikini Destinations sounds sweeet/
Jaime Moreno is the man.
I wondered what would happen when he was rolling with Gallardo
and the boys...
Look at the replays!
I think Niell meant to leave that ball for Jaime right?
Sweet Slow Roller.
99's style is top notch and when the team isn't trying to play long ball out of some sort of desperation they return to the basic dope skill that pay the bills.
Good call starting 25 and even better bringing in Niell once people are a bit tired.
Sorry with the mispell and the ramble.
DCU is looking pretty sweet and I have to admit that those jerseys look fine without big Adidas stripe breaking up the shirt.
Less an Ad, More a Jersey.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 6, 2008 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Good night to build confidence for the offense ahead of a game where we need to score a lot of goals against a very strong opponent. I think many comments on this blog are way too critical of Wells and Peralta. Wells has made some great saves and has been caught with some unlucky breaks that happen to the best keepers in the world. Being at the stadium you could see how much Peralta runs the back 4. He keeps everyone organized and gets them marked up. I think he's a true leader and played solid. Is every player perfect on DCU, no, but don't expect this to be Real Madrid, Man U, Inter, or Barca. But for me, I agree that Niell is going to have to start finishing if he wants to keep getting more mintues, Tino looked dangerous tonight.

Posted by: Sean G | April 6, 2008 2:34 AM | Report abuse

"*Almost all of the Nationals signage inside the stadium has been replaced with DCU material"

42?