Matchday: DCU-Columbus

[updated]

Greetings from Estadio RFK.

Another gorgeous evening for a match. Almost heavenly. Divine intervention? After all, the Pope is in town.

Okay, first a pair of expected developmental signings: defenders Jeff Curtin, who was claimed in the waiver draft last month, and Mike Zaher, a rookie from UCLA drafted by Toronto and acquired in a recent trade. Both are likely to play in tomorrow morning's reserve division match. Kickoff is 10 a.m. at the RFK training grounds. Admission, as always, is free. Be there. I know the Pontiff will.

With those deals complete, United has just one senior roster spot available. Liberian forward Francis Doe, who has been in camp all week, is the leading candidate.

DCU LINEUP: Wells; Namoff, Peralta, Martinez, Burch; McTavish, Simms, Gallardo, Fred; Moreno, Emilio. Subs: Carvallo, Niell, Quaranta, Stratford, Dyachenko, Mediate, Kirk.

Martinez passed a fitness test this afternoon and was cleared to start.

Ben Olsen was examined by a U.S. national team trainer yesterday in Delaware. Nothing new was discovered -- he continues to have discomfort in the left ankle with bone rubbing against bone. Rest and rehab, and lots of it.

As always, this is the place for civil and substantive pregame, in-game and postgame discussion. Charlie Gibson and George Stephanopoulos, we're watching you. Commence.

By Steve Goff  |  April 17, 2008; 5:42 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Predictions, Anyone?
Next: DCU-Columbus Aftermath

Comments

Thanks Goff - any thoughts on attendance?

Posted by: hoyanick | April 17, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

thanks Goffer - to dish out some WaPo props I think the title for Tom Shales piece on the debates last night: "In Pa. Debate, The Clear Loser Is ABC" summed things up perfectly. Stephanopolous and Gibson were disasters - maybe they prepared for the debate by trying to emulate DC United's performance against RSL.

Anyways, for tonight I'm looking for:

---------Moreno--Emilio----
----Fred----Gallardo---Quaranta--
--------------Simms--------
Burch-McTavish-Peralta-Namoff
-------------Carvallo-----

perhaps a look at Quavas Kirk late in the match?

You would also have to think that Francis Doe is at least as good as Niell - we really lack depth at striker and depth at right midfield. Benny - you can't heal fast enough. I promise to go shopping at Dicks Sporting Goods if that would help

Posted by: diego r. | April 17, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Up against a new episode of The Office?

Sorry DCU, but I'll be over on NBC for the second half.

(Of note - while I live in DC, and go to some DCU games, I am not what one would consider a DCU fan. Also, this is not intended to criticize those who are. Carry on.)

Posted by: KLB | April 17, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Charlie and George disappointed me for the first time ever last night.

Posted by: Adam Spangler | April 17, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------
Yet you read the Soccer Insider, which focuses on DCU at this point in the year. Get a DVR, man.

Posted by: CY | April 17, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Charlie and George did their job...

Posted by: frank | April 17, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Steve, can we expect Doe to play in the reserve game tomorrow morning? If he's fit and in the right state of mind, I have a really good feeling about picking him up.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 17, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I hope to be back in time for kickoff, but I'm playing pickup tonight for the first time since recovering from a quad pull.

Vamos United!

Posted by: Colm | April 17, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of West African forwards, looks like Guy-Roland Kpene is on trial with the forward-challenged Houston Dynamo.

If he latches onwith Houston, would it mean the Dynamo is DC United Rejects South (i.e., Vancouver = DCU Rejects Northwest)?

Posted by: RP | April 17, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

anyone know where this is broadcast online?

Posted by: bristol | April 17, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who else to turn to about this (admittedly) minor catastrophe--but as an American who has been living in Cape Verde the past three years----what happened with the U-20s getting cleaned up 3-1 in this tournament in Portugal. I've been defending American soccer here on a consistent basis but don't know if I can keep holding down the fort after this one.

Steven---tell me something I can say to the hundreds of Cape Verdians talking trash to me non-stop today.

Posted by: Nick Blumenthal | April 17, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

anyone know where this is broadcast online?
==========================================

Posted by: tri-village | April 17, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

The U20 team in Portugal is definitely a "B" side, isn't it? Besides, it's coached by Thomas Wrongen. At least they rebounded to defeat British-occupied Ireland by three goals. Let's see how they do against Portugal.

Posted by: tri-village | April 17, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Chest- Doe has to sign a contract before he can participate in the Reserves game.

Hopefully DC will somehow manager to release Curtin and Zaher's numbers before tomorrow. Otherwise there's no way I'm going to be able to tell all these newcomers apart.

Posted by: DCUMD | April 17, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Goff you rule dude!
I just kept Martinez in and I am glad to hear he may be starting, lets hope he is good to go.
Glad Goff is here to give us the lowdown in the 11th hour with the straight dope on what's really up with the team.
I am dissing the Office tonight and couldn't be happier to have a reason to turn on the Stereo speakers for the Television this evening.
No Dancing with the stars, or whatever in the living room this evening.
DC will crush this team tonight like they have to every visitor thus far!
Maybe Pachuca wan't crushing but it was close.

Posted by: dadryan. | April 17, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

The game is on ESPN360.com. Very good feed and it is available in ENG and SPA.

Loyal reader and loyal Crew Fan!

Let's get it going C-Bus!!!!

Posted by: Jeff | April 17, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Charlie and George did their job...

Posted by: frank | April 17, 2008 6:11 PM

their job? I always thought that a debate was supposed to offering varying viewpoints on substantive issues. How is Hillary supposed to debate a question about whether Obama wears an American flag pin or Obama debate that a recent survey showed 6 in 10 Americans distrust Hillary? The whole thing was a disgrace.

Posted by: diego r. | April 17, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

anyways, it must not have been too bad an injury for Martinez to be starting tonight. I'm still not convinced of McTavish's play out right. Yes, he has scored some goals but I haven't seen much of anything on the right flank this year. Let's see what tonight has in store. Wish I was at Estadio RFK on one of those gorgeous Washington spring / summer evenings

Posted by: diego r. | April 17, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Solid backline. Refresh my memory. Is Mediate the only D or D/M on the bench?

RE; trash-talking Cape Verdeans. Tell them it's only kiddie football and ask them where Cape Verde is on the FIFA rankings table (110). I hope you can fight.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 17, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Here's a partial score from the Caps-Flyers game: Caps 2.

Posted by: tri-village | April 17, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Dude, you know The Office is online tomorrow at nbc.com/theoffice. Good luck finding the United game.

Posted by: Glaucon | April 17, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

The game is on ESPN360.com. Very good feed and it is available in ENG and SPA.

Loyal reader and loyal Crew Fan!

Let's get it going C-Bus!!!!

Posted by: Jeff | April 17, 2008 7:44 PM

---------------------------------------------

Thank you thank you Crew fan! I don't get cable, but I do get cable modem service via RCN, and somehow, thanks to that, I get ESPN360! The full-screen stream is very high quality!

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 17, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

If VW becomes the shirt sponsor, may we link gratuitously to pictures of Heide Klum?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 17, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

I have not seen Jose Carvallo play yet. How is he?

Posted by: chris | April 17, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Finally the liberal press show some guts

Thanks
George & Charlie

Posted by: xjas | April 17, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Finally the liberal press show some guts

Thanks
George & Charlie

Posted by: xjas | April 17, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Chris what are you talking about?
Glaucon, I was saying my wife is an amazing women for letting me keep the game on while she almost missed the office because our daughter was sleeping in the other room.

At least niell can half read some of jaime's touches, emilio seems like he can't read anything these days.
28th minute the barra looks awesome!

Posted by: Dadryan. | April 17, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

good save for Wells. Fred hold it up for a sec and clearing it nicely.
We need a goal

Posted by: Dadryan. | April 17, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

If I were a DC United fan, I would be boo'ing the crap out of this team.

Posted by: Adam | April 17, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mike | April 17, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Namoff gettin' pissed and shooting, Sweet...

Posted by: Madryan | April 17, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Although he was kind of standing around on that second goal.

Posted by: Mike | April 17, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Not that Namoff bears the blunt of blame for being out-of-position and marking poorly on both Moreno goals, but...

Emilio's touch reminds me of Beasley post-first injury. He doesn't look to have the confidence to play one-touch football at this time. I hope, in the strange occurrence whereas I'm onto something, that it does not take him as long to recover his confidence as it did Beasley.

Posted by: B.A. | April 17, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Dude, not a good save for Wells. Pure luck it bounced off of him. Fire that guy. Man I wish we could have got Cannon in that trade. Grrrrrr....

Posted by: T. Henry | April 17, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Is Harkes right to single out Peralta? Jury is still out for me. But clearly they're having major defensive problems.

Why is Emilio always running away from the ball when his teammates are trying to pass to him?

Posted by: puzzled | April 17, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I wish the Caps would lose so we could put Olie Kolzig in goal.

Posted by: Harpo | April 17, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

I would say when A. Moreno, not the tallest strikers in the league, beats a tower like Peralta then some blame has to go in his direction, he looked lost i that sequence.

Posted by: Red Devil | April 17, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Wells... argh!

Posted by: Darth Hater | April 17, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Harkes=idiot.
Card on Carroll was clearly deserved and IMHO borderline red. It was from behind and to the side and studs up. Easily could have been severe injury if he was just a few centimeters off.

Defensive holes are allowing the Crew to break through the Defense, not just Peralta's fault.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

"Man Clyde Simms is doing all the right things. I'd like to see him get some national team time."

DC United fans gettin' silly.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 17, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Emilio looks slower than molasses in January. Garbage.

For that matter, Jaime looks slow, but he just came off an injury...and he is old.

What is Luci's excuse? This season he has looked like a mere shell of last year's Golden Boot.

Posted by: Erick | April 17, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Can the Pope (not Eddie) play keeper?

Posted by: Harpo | April 17, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Only one question in my mind. why does Emilo continue to stay in all the games all the time? all he does is give the ball away and make negative passes. he is in horrible form and needs to improve before he gets the minutes he is getting. lets see quaranta or neil.

Posted by: xiopik | April 17, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Luciano is actually wearing the golden boot and it's slowing him down.
I swear I saw a picture of him on his website holding another one from earlier in his career...
Maybe he's wearing a pair.
We need people to strike the ball, it is insane that everyone is up and they are still passing the stinking ball BACK to Simms.
The Russian or the Irishman better score now!

Posted by: Dadryan. | April 17, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I thought Emilio was surely coming out. He doesn't even seem to keep possession.

Posted by: Mike | April 17, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

DC = WORST CLUB IN MLS!!!!

Posted by: RSL FAN | April 17, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

This team is far from good. I suppose there's another adjustment time but I wonder if Peralta won't turn out to be a bust.

Posted by: Bart | April 17, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

When is Ben Olsen coming back? We need some fire in these bellies. These guys suck.

Posted by: Bart | April 17, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Great! Emilio's presence caused Fred to lose concentration and shoot wide.

Posted by: Bart | April 17, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan, It was toward KLB.

Posted by: Glaucon | April 17, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

well thats it Sohen is a friggen moron! Emilo is still in and all the subs are used! Plus Sohen has no imagination. this is becoming a season of frustration. play players on how they play not their pay!

Posted by: XioPik | April 17, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

L. Emilio has been the Crew's second best player tonight. He just stands still waiting for the ball to arrive at his feet, makes no runs to anticipate a pass and his first touch is below pro-level; IMO.

Posted by: Red Devil | April 17, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Our defense is CRAP. Emilio is CRAP. Gallardo is CRAP. My frustration knows no boundaries at this point....

Posted by: Andy | April 17, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh, United lost? I'm busy watching the Caps.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 17, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Emilio ugh... it's time for that denizens of the tape vault to work overtime finding someone who can score.

Posted by: Pindar | April 17, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I guarantee a win if we use a 4-4-2, with these players.

Moreno and Quaranta
Gallardo
Fred Kirk
Sims
Burch-Peralta-Martinez-Namoff

Quaranta Moreno and Gallardo switching between playermaker and forward and burch pushing up pushing fred into the middle.

Posted by: XioPik | April 17, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Losing to Columbus at home 2-1 is worse than losing to RSL 4-0.

Clearly, we have some work to do.

Posted by: delantero | April 17, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

yo andy, gallardo crap ? sh!t man i want some of what your smoking. he dropped so many balls in place, only for nobody to do sh!t with. now that's CRAP.

Posted by: frank | April 17, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

peralta is not so great, did you see that attempt at a tackle in the box in the 88th minute v. schelotto? he looked like a light footed center mid that doesnt get stuck in. he mistimes headers as well, last week and tonight

mctavish- nice college player maybe, but really brings nothing to the table other than he can trap and pass

niell- he looks like a video game play he is so small, that has to be a youth size uniform. he cant even stand up he just gets knocked over all the time. i wish i could say its bc he is small or something because thats what i thought at first but then i realized

emeilio- he was falling every time we played it into his feet.

what is our style are we trying to play to a target? is that target emelio bc he cant hold it up, bad touch and falls all the time

gallardo is nice, get him the ball
why did we take moreno out. it took away any creativity that we had out there other than fred and gallardo

soehn lets find an identity

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Way to jinx it with the update about the stupid pope.
first the coach saying we need it and then our Guru S. Goff...
Man don't do it again man.
it was a beautiful evening grilled some chicken like Joe Doc suggested, had some cold beer...
Shoulda known what was in store when my Seattle native hit me on the Nextel talking about the Caps game and how he was sitting in a bar way out west watching that!
DC United needs some FORWARDS WHO SHOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jesus H. Christmas man, Peralta had a better chance with his foot tonight than LUciano!?
Martinez who's hammy is in Question shot.
Namoff?
Playoffs?
Thank GOD for Defenders getting pissed coming forward and at least trying to score.
Do me a favor someone and punch me in the face when someone on this team puts the godforesaken ball in the popedamned net!

Posted by: Dadryan | April 17, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Tell me--why did D.C.United give a First round pick for Dychenko? He is PDL member-he was awful against the Columbus Crew. Maybe it's time to think that either Shoen or Kasper gave up a 1st Round Pick for a not-ready-for-MLS player, but then it it grieves me that Coach Sheon will play him in place of Moreno. It was a frustrating and sad to see what this coach is now aware of what to do!!!! I know, you said patience, but it definitely has to change!
D.C.United will overcome!!

Leo

Posted by: Leo | April 17, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Just be thankful we're not the Galaxy or we would really feel the hate rain down on our dismal start to the season. Chins up, things will improve.

Posted by: Hesse | April 17, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Wanted: New DC United Coach.
Qualifications: Trilingual (English, Spanish,Portuguese), ability to motivate forwards to shoot, and to substitute players before the half.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

good thing Martinez was passed fit. He was beast today.
to be fair, the Crew is clearly better this year.

Posted by: andrew | April 17, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

If I didn't know better, I'd say all these guys just met for the first time today at the stadium and decided to play some ball. Either nobody was calling for the ball or nobody was listening... or maybe it's the three or four languages that's throwing them.

Posted by: bbarrie | April 17, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Glaucon, I am just a little sensitive when people be doubtin' my The Office loyalty.
Hopefully Mastodon Juanita won't start doggin my favorite show tooo...
Yo Mastodon You are a Corny Dork and I will fight you whenever you want to get it on.
You will be at the Red Bull/United game later this summer right?
At RFK Right?
Bare knuckle boxing to raise money for a usefull striker for United!
I volunteer!

Posted by: Dadryan | April 17, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Man, Gallardo was our best player out there tonight. Too bad he was playing with a bunch of amateurs. Ugh. Gallardo was a bad signing because no one can receive his service. Like Beckham on the Galaxy. In a class by himself. Sigh. At least Gomezcould play down to our level.

Posted by: T. Henry | April 17, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Is this what DC United got? I am really dissapointed in front of a national TV. It is about time to win some games. We are almost at the bottom table right now. Very frustrating.

Posted by: td | April 17, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan: Mastodon Juan will pimp slap you with his hairy trunk.

Go Caps!

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 17, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

It really doesn't matter Gallardo play samart, since no nobodaybcan put.the ball or receive the ball,

Posted by: td | April 17, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Matodon Juan: My boy madryan will chop up your hairy trunk with a funkin. machette and feed you to the fish in the Anacostia YOU DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOrKKKKK!
You are worse than any clueless Born and Raised DC Bamma that LOVES the Dallas Cowboys.
You live in DC, love the Blue Balls ,and the Caps?
Do you have Fragile X or something?

Posted by: Dadryan | April 17, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Don't give up on Emillio yet. Sit him for a game, ok but lets not get crazy. HE WILL SCORE. I love Gillardo and Fred and Martinez.

Posted by: Harpo | April 17, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

On a Postive note Fred had a good game he seems to have more speed than anyone out there it's too bad no one telling him to shoot cuz his brother Luciano is sucking like Mastodon Juan's mom.
Martinez makes Peralta look good.
Wells looked better, Simms looked good.
We need someone to shoot. You can't score if you don't shoot.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 17, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey Mastodork "your" Caps lost beeatch what you got to say now?

Posted by: Dadryan | April 17, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

gallardo played great. you could see the frustration when pass after pass by him was wasted.

martinez continues to be the rock in the back line. i think he's awesome.

good thing we're exploring other forward options (doe) cause what we've got isn't working. emilio needs to sit for a bit.

Posted by: pat | April 17, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

ONCE AGAIN SORRYEN BLOWS!!! WE NEED A REAL TACTICIAN! LETS GET A REAL COACH TO MANAGE OUR BELOVED UNITED! WE MISS YOU GOMITO...JAIME M. LOOSE SOME WEIGHT BUDDY!
GALLINA IS NOWHERE CLOSE TO GOMITO, OVERPAID HASBIN! VAMOS UNITED FIGHT THE FIGHT!

Posted by: DCU FAN IN SOCAL | April 17, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

SOEHN needs to go, dc needs to spend some money in a decent coach. this one is worst than my high school coach, players playing out of position, just a mess. !!!!!Front Office get your shyt together, dont destroy our pride and joy!!

Posted by: koolcaio | April 17, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

MVP my arse

Posted by: GoUnited | April 17, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Fred sucked too. He thinks he can dribble through their whole team. PASS THE DAMN BALL!

Posted by: GoUnited | April 17, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh don't be calling for Soehn's head yet. We were doing so at this time last year

Posted by: GoUnited | April 17, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

We were awful. Could not hold the ball. Nothing Worked. MF forgot to play defense. Front Line looked fearful to shoot. Back Line Shambolic Too
Frequently. Wells is dodgy keeper. A Dour Performance. Highly unusual for our section to boo our side mid-match, but that happened tonight.

Posted by: SW Trevor in Section 231 | April 17, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

I want to preface this by saying I play keeper on three teams and have coached goalies at different levels. I say this not to toot my own horn; nor do I think that I would be a good goalie professionally, I just feel I have insight that others may not have on the position.

Everyone is missing the point. Our weakest link is Wells. On both goals, he was in awful position. His control of his defense is negligble. I know that there is a language barrier but he should still be able to set up marking assignments. There was one point in the second have when Martinez was trying to have him come get the ball and he wanted Martinez to clear. Martinez was in the right on that play. Wells should have gone to get the ball.

On the second goal, there was no reason for him to come out of his area like he did. Yes, there should've been more D on the ball, but he went out uncontrollablly and left his defense out to dry. I'm forgetting the first goal at this moment, but I vaguely remember saying to my friend that he was out of position there too. There was a great save in the first half that shouldn't have had to be. The ball was crossed into the area, on the ground slowly, and he should've pounced on it. He was caught flat-footed and had to jump in front of the Crew player shooting. He got a lucky save.

Yes, we are having trouble finishing, but our real problem starts and ends at keeper.

Posted by: Q | April 17, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

My impressions form Estadio RFK -- Gallardo did not play great. He played a few great balls. And some lousy ones, too. True that his forwards couldn't handle the 2 or 3 great balls he played through. If we had Andriy Shevchenko we'd have had a couple of goals.

However, a number of Gallardo's passes were mistimed. I'd say he played well, not great -- and he kept disappearing from the game whenever he played out on the wing -- what was he doing out there?

The best player out on the pitch, once again, was Bryan Namoff. I was never a big fan of his, but I am now. He has touch, and vision. He controls the ball when it comes to him, regardless of where it comes down on his body. He has quick feet and he plays with purpose. Give me a a whole team of Bryan Namoffs and United would never lose.

Simms played well, but his passing was as random as ever.

Peralta: I'd be interested to hear what Harkes had to say. I feel like I'm the only one who watches this team game in amd game out and finds Peralta to be a huge defensive liability. Martinez gets burned, too -- but, at least, he has make-up speed and makes the saving tackle.

Wells is looking better with each game, so there's a little to be encouraged about. If the defense wasn't so easily penetrated, and if the offense could put a shot on goal (except Emilio, who does put them on goal, but has an annoying habit of shooting right down the middle and right at the goalie), DCU would be a good team. Right now, they are not.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 17, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm intrigued by O's post. From my seat I couldn't even begin to guess at whether Wells was out of position on the goals. I will say that the defense looks completely disorganized. It's a good thing United controls most of the possession, because every time the opposition has the ball in our end they work through the defense like swiss cheese. I couldn't say if that is Wells' failings, or the defenders.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Is O right?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 17, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Next match's lineup:

Doe Quaranta

Barlow Gallardo Fred Kirk

Simms

Carroll(your pick) Martinez McTavish

Thorpe

Posted by: Glaucon | April 17, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

At least the Nats are giving the Mets a run tonight. Still playing...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 17, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Very frustrating. Right now, the only guys I have confidence in are Gallardo, Fred and Martinez. Emilio is garbage with his back to goal.

Posted by: tpm26 | April 17, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Goffer -- nice match report. I think you're spot on with your analysis. Also, well-written.

We're in deep doo-doo.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 17, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Bench the following: Emilio, Jaime and Gallardo. Teach at least two of the defenders that they are supposed to guard the goal and practice the rest so they don't just lob the ball into the center which is always clogged up. Everyone knows that is where we go. They play like strangers.

Posted by: disgruntled | April 17, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Relax, people. Fire Soehn? The front office sucks? Come on. Give it a rest.

While DCU has clearly been disappointing so far, we have lots of new faces and it's going to take time for this team to gel.

We'll be fine.

Posted by: KR in DC | April 17, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Relax, people. Fire Soehn? The front office sucks? Come on. Give it a rest.

We'll be fine.

Posted by: KR in DC | April 17, 2008 11:50 PM

I actually find the panicking funny. Tis a long season boys

Posted by: GoUnited | April 17, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Thorpe is no better than the clowns they've used so far.
Kirk is really skinny for the scrilla he's getting paid but man we need some service for emilio if we are gonna keep starting and playing him the full 90.
Broken Record: We MISS Ben Olsen!
Quaranta really needs to be played forward, he's not always the best on the ball but he certainley has better touch than Emily and the more chances he gets I'd really be surprised if he didn't stick the mother in the back of the net.
LIl' Saint Forty can't play dumb when he comes up short. Start him and play him further forward, with Jaime with who ever He'll score, and if he doesn't he'll get his eye brows waxed and at least give you some sort of emotional response on why he's not scoring. I doubt he's gonna complain about playing time do ya?
He wants it more than any of em except maybe Fred, and he's making so little you might as well let run.
Quit messin' round and Play Tino!

Posted by: Dadryan | April 17, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Emilio is in a funk, plain and simple. He should have scored that header in the first half. In addition, Jaime Moreno was given a great ball by Gallardo in the 1st half and he couldn't do a damn thing with it. I hate to say it but our forwards are crap right now and we're f'ed until we can get it resolved. For all of the faults in the back, we should have won this game 3-2. Not good.

Posted by: Hoost | April 17, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Joel Hanrahan would fit right in with DCU right now. No control of the ball...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 17, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely horrible performance!!! No energy, slow, we just played right into them. Gallardo has not shown that he is work the DP $$$ laid out for him. I would rather have Blanco, Gomez, etc..

The fans should have clearly voiced their displeasure with the team on the field. When will the fan nation stop blindly chearing when the team is putting out no effort what so ever! This was a disgrace and more so than the 4-0 loss to RSL!!

Garbage, absolute garbage from start to finish! They should have brought the reserves out instead. They might have actually wanted to play tonight. So glad that DCU did not give Emilio the Fat Payday he was looking for!!

Arrgggg!!! You know what HD does, it makes crappy performances look just that much more crappy!!

Posted by: DC U Fan | April 17, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

United better start making my match tickets 2-ply so that I can at least use them to wipe my arse.

Despicable.

Worse, Soehn has become utterly predicatable...revert from flat back 4 to three in the back. Take off Burch...put in Dyachenko. Yawn.

Wells is not improving, despite comments from above. They guy is obviously not controlling his back line, not ensuring the backs are marking goalside, not calling out for balls...he nearly got his face kicked in by Martinez. It is not hard to learn the half-dozen spanish words he would need in order to communicate with his back. Then again, United does have a spanish-speaking keeper with loads of first division experience...

Might be time to warm up the "Fire The Coach Bus."

Posted by: Erick | April 17, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Cheers on the match report as pointed out Mr. Goff!
I guess we are living in the future because I swear I read that article at least five minutes ago...
Bob boswell got an own goal and became a Super Star didn't he?

Posted by: Dadryan | April 18, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Gallardo's ball into Moreno was one of the best crosses I've ever seen. I couldn't believe he was able to play that ball as he did, from his position, with a man in his face. And Jaime let it bounce off his chest. As Goff noted, he set up Fred nicely, too. And he had a nice ball into Emilio, and he couldn't bring it under control, either. Our forwards don't seem all that skilled right now. But, then again, our central defense plays like they're new to the sport -- maybe they've been playing pointy-ball until now.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 18, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

I dont get the bench gallardo stuff. the problem right now is that gallardo is too good for the team we have. what good is a creator if no one can finish.

how bout fred or tino up top?

short term emilio needs to be benched. medium term moreno needs to come off the bench. long term olsen needs to recover.

Posted by: freedc | April 18, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

I do want to point out that I predicted the fall-off from Gomez (a proven star in MLS) to Gallardo (someone who might make really good players look even better, but doesn't have anyone on this team that fits the bill). If they want to make full use of Gallardo, I say sell Emilio while we still can (wasn't there some interest in Mexico?), and use the cap room to bring in a superstar striker -- I'm dreaming of Shevchenko, but we could do just fine setting sights a little lower....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 18, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe people think Gallardo had a good game. I think he has been a disaster. A few good passes but he can't drive with the ball at players, he can't get a decent shot off. He's yet to land a threatening free kick. And he costs 3x what we paid Gomez to only suck on ocassion.

Posted by: David | April 18, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

To DCU fan: Maybe it didn't come across on ESPN, but there a bunch of boos, especially in the second half. Yes, we continued to cheer, trying to push for a tying goal, but we showed displeasure, too.

And, the 13,000 turnout can't be encouraging for the front office. That's why I say it might be worth it to the team to spend on a real scorer, if they can land a real big fish. 5-10,000 tickets per game. They could make up a million, even a two million dollar salary for the right player....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 18, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

I tried starting We Want Olsen chant............it didn't work.

Posted by: The Jim | April 18, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

I inevitably find myself consistently incomparable GALLARDO and GPMEZ.

Sorry, we pay DP cash to get a guy who simply doesn't make goals happen.

With GOMEZ, you felt as if he would make things happen (take people on going forward, creating space, making defenders make committing decisions, pass to people running at goal OR SHOOT THE F-ing ball!)

With GALLARDO, you have someone who is clearly quality, but lacks ability to be consistently dangerous (sits as deep as Simms, can use a bit of cleverness to beat people(however tends to go parallel to keep possession, rather than going at goal), who can spray balls all over the field, but puts people in positions where they still have to make it happen on their own, and moreover, DOES NOT SHOOT!

I feel this is the difference in EMILIO's performance:

GOMEZ = EMILIO running at goal (20 goals)
vs.
GALLARDO = EMILIO receive the ball with back to goal (11 goals)

GOMEZ would put us on his shoulders and say, I will make this happen. He benefited, players around him benefited, UNITED benefited.

Do you think GALLARDO can do the same? (I know there differnt playes)

Im not panicking on this season, calling for Soehn's, Kasper's, or FO's head...We had a worse record last year over the first 4 matches.

We will make the playoffs.

But insert Gomez with our current cast = hoisting of cup.

BH

Posted by: BH | April 18, 2008 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frank | April 17, 2008 10:15 PM

===================================

The point is, he doesn't inspire the offense to score, he can't hold down the midfield, he doesn't do anything in the attack. Sure, he had a few good passes, but what's the point? It didn't matter in the end. He was completely outclassed by GBS, Columbus completely outclassed the United defense, and Sigi Schmid completely outclassed Tom Soehn. End of story.

I haven't given up yet, as it's still really early, but we have a lot of work to do.

Posted by: Andy | April 18, 2008 1:58 AM | Report abuse

I am still in pretty good shape if you want to give me a call.

Moreno was just as bad as Emilio. I like Gallardo better than Gomez because he isn't a little whiner. Are we sure he really grew up in Argentina??

Would have like to see Quaranta the whole game in place of McTavish but he surely should have been brought ina t the start of the second half. Dyachenko is horrible. Give him a mullet and call him Filomeno.

Posted by: Roy Lassiter | April 18, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse