Matchday: DCU-Pachuca

[updated with lineups]

Greetings from RFK Stadium. (We'll avoid 'Estadio RFK' today -- can't let Pachuca get too comfortable in DCU's house, right?)

Gorgeous day here along the banks of the mighty Anacostia. Nats fans looking for their shuttle to the ballpark/amusement park down river have been told they cannot park in Lot 8, where serious tailgating will commence soon. If you see any seamheads in the wrong place, kindly direct them to Lot 7. While you are at it, try to persuade them to stay at RFK and watch a meaningful competition instead of one of 162 beisbol games. ;-)

I've arrived at RFK after a long lunch in Bethesda with one of the legends of the newspaper business, William Gildea, a wonderful writer who covered the World Cup in 1990, '94 and '98 for The Post before his semi-retirement. He calls Italy '90 and France '98 the highlights of his distinguished career. (In '90, I was a young pup who had the pleasure of taking dictation from Bill as he relayed his story from a pay phone in an alley in Sardinia while English supporters rampaged. We worked together in the next two Cups and ate many fine meals together in Lyon, Paris and Aix en Provence.) For a sample of his work, please jump down to the continuation of this thread. It will be worth your time.

Okay, as for tonight, predictions anyone? I give DCU a 23.6 percent of overcoming the two-goal deficit and advancing to the finals.

You are also welcome to comment on today's Euro matches, the Olympic women's qualifying semifinals and the Houston-Saprissa match later.

DCU LINEUP: You can call it a 3-5-2, a 3-4-3, a 3-4-1-2, whatever. Fact of the matter is that Tom Soehn is taking an offensive approach

Wells; Namoff, Peralta, Martinez; McTavish, Simms, Gallardo, Fred; Moreno; Quaranta, Emilio. Subs: Carvallo, Burch, Kirk, Mediate, Dyachenko, Stratford, Niell.

PACHUCA: Calero; Lopez, Manzur, Cabrera, Pinto; Correra, Caballero, Chitiva, Rodriguez, Gimenez; Cacho. Subs: Blanco, Montes, Torres, Aguilar, Rey, Salazar, Alvarez.

Author: William Gildea
Date: Jun 28, 1990
Start Page: e.01
Section: SPORTS
Text Word Count: 1408

A few minutes before Pope John Paul II's weekly audience, Ireland's surprising World Cup soccer team walked down the center aisle to a standing ovation from almost 7,000 people in the great auditorium in the Vatican.

The Irish, wearing green warm-up suits, were ushered to seats of honor ahead of the first row, to the right of where the pope would soon be seated in a huge, straight-back, tan velvet chair to speak in seven languages with the throng of visitors.

My ticket read: ingresso C, prima fila S, No. 21. My wife had No. 20. Each usher we passed gestured us forward. We took our seats in the first row, 50 feet from the pope's chair, 20 feet from the Irish team. The location almost directly in front of a large modern sculpture of Jesus Christ's ascension into heaven was as stunning as it was humbling.

Tall Jack Charlton, a star on England's 1966 World Cup champion who went to Ireland to coach, had a corner chair in the front row with his team. Others along the row included Irish captain Mick McCarthy, whose green playing jersey would be presented to the pope; David O'Leary, whose decisive penalty kick moved the team past Romania on Monday in the round of 16, and Ray Haughton, a white-haired trainer who held a soccer ball autographed by the players that also would be offered to the pope.

"Five years ago, Jack Charlton promised me he'd take us to Rome to see the pope," Haughton would say later, recalling Charlton's dedication to producing a strong Irish team for the '90 Cup even though no Irish team ever had made the finals. Yet here they were, in Rome to play a quarterfinal match Saturday night against heavily favored Italy.

The order of events was announced and the pope appeared from off stage sharply at 11 a.m. The press-and-photographers' area to the pope's left was unusually crowded to record the visit of the upstart Irish. Among groups from around the world-including an especially large number from the pope's native Poland-were Irish citizens located in the front rows close to their team, their eyes riveted on the supreme pontiff.

Following a prayer and a Biblical reading, the white-robed John Paul II delivered an address in different languages and gave his Apostolic blessing. He introduced and greeted various visitors, including several choral groups who stood and sang for about 30 seconds each.

A cluster of Spaniards sang and clapped; a group of Czechoslovakians raised their flag; Polish stood in such numbers that the pope gave a spontaneous greeting while waving both hands; he blew a kiss to a group of nuns; he seemed moved when children sang.

"I greet members of the Irish football team," the pope said to great applause. While only occasionally adding extemporaneous comments, he had an eye for the Irish players and a short but clearly sincere message.

Looking their way and giving them an affectionate wave, he said with a broad smile, "Best wishes." He then burst out laughing.

They, in turn, listened intently to him. Players in the back rows craned to see. Like the pope, they responded to a group of Italian children who sang, adding hearty applause.

Later, John Paul II greeted hundreds, going deep into the middle of the auditorium, waving, blessing, grasping hands, exchanging words, placing his hand on a priest's head, acknowledging many who had sung their native songs or hymns when they had been introduced.

Then he moved along the row where we sat.

As he extended his hand, I told him that this year my wife and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, which caused him to pause. He bowed to us and as I held his hand I asked him if he had any message for Americans who would be preparing to serve as hosts for the World Cup-known here as the Mondiale-in 1994.

He had begun moving on a step toward my wife but said, "1994?"

I had been told he does not like to use translators, and while he understood the question he appeared to be making certain of the year as spoken in English. Indeed, knowing that the next World Cup would be played in the United States, he retraced his step and said earnestly, "I hope for the best for 1994."

The positive aspects of sports in drawing people together are on his mind. That was the theme of his speech here May 31 when he blessed the Olympic Stadium. When I mentioned the gist of his words that day, he nodded several times in assent.

"God bless your family," he said.

He seemed able to focus deeply on each individual, no matter the number he greeted. While his address this morning had been serious but at the same time one that held out hope-the fullness to which anyone can grow spiritually-he clearly enjoyed meeting people, and struck me as possessing an indefinable quality that can touch a person in an instant.

He also can enjoy himself. When introduced to Charlton, who is known as "The Boss," John Paul II, pleased to meet him and seemingly pleased with himself for knowing of Charlton, responded, "The Boss, the Boss, the Boss."

The players laughed and shook the pontiff's hand as he moved among them. In congratulating them, he mentioned the fact that penalty kicks were needed to decide Ireland's scoreless overtime game against Romania.

As the pope mingled with the team, Irish people in the audience sang, to the tune of "Those were the days my friend . . . ":

"We are the boys in green/ The best you've ever seen./ We've just made his-to-ry /We're off to It-a-ly."

"I've had an ambition to meet the pope as long as I have lived," said McCarthy, the team captain. "It's a very personal thing. I can't say any more."

The pope focused much attention on young people-the Irish players, teenagers in the audience he reached out to, small children, crippled youngsters.

The attention surrounding the World Cup has given him the opportunity to stress the "healthy" interest provided by sports. As he said at the Olympic Stadium, while warning against any violence by overzealous fans:

"Sport is certainly one of the most popular human activities and can greatly influence people's behavior, especially that of the young.

"But it too is subject to risks and misunderstandings, and must therefore be directed, developed and guided so as to express its potential in a positive way. . . .

"It is necessary to overcome the dangers which threaten modern sport, from the obsessive preoccupation with gain to the commercialization of almost every aspect of sport . . . from the use of doping and other forms of fraud to violence."

To him, the soccer championship of the world that will be coming to America "can become a festival of solidarity between the peoples."

As he speaks to large groups and especially in one-on-one encounters, John Paul II's magnetism attracts people of various beliefs. "I'm not a Catholic," Charlton said later, "but I enjoyed it. The players enjoyed it. The lads had expressed an interest before we got to Rome to see the pope. It's a memory they'll take back and certainly think of for the rest of their lives."

"Every player with us had the ambition to meet the pope," Haughton said, "and we got the opportunity through football. It was an unbelievable time, a time we had dreamed of for so long, a dream come true for all the lads."

They had been directed to a convenient exit and most of the audience had departed. The pope had a few last matters to attend to. At the end, he shook hands with some priests and, with that, walked off. He had spent 2 hours 8 minutes of what must have been in a way known only to him an experience that could move a person as it surely did us. My wife and I walked out a side door onto a cobblestone path.

After a few steps, I turned back, wanting to look inside a last time. But just then, a guard closed and locked the immense doors. I was only momentarily disappointed, because I realized then that what had happened inside was locked in my mind forever.

By Steve Goff  |  April 9, 2008; 4:42 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Super Wednesday
Next: Guevara to Toronto

Comments

I think 23.6 is way over-optimistic. I'm going with 23.3. Vamos United!

Posted by: regular fan | April 9, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Odd. Aix-en-Provence didn't have any games :)

Posted by: RK | April 9, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Get after it, lads! As the adidas ad states: Impossible is Nothing.

Posted by: str8red | April 9, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

No fine meals with Gildea in '94?

Has anyone thought about transportation by water between the two venues?

Posted by: tri-village | April 9, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful writing by Gildea! The World Cup does create unforgetable moments and memories.

My memories from the 1998 WC include staying in the same hotel as the Iranian team in Lyon as well as the puzzling looks from the the French in Nantes as we sang:

Que sera sera!
What ever will be will be.
We're going to go home in three
Que sera sera!

Steve Sampson still owes my wife and I a bundle for ruining that French vacation. (An Mike Burns too for not guarding the post!)

Posted by: France98 | April 9, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Goff...Playing quite the instigator today ("seamheads", "amusement park", "meaningful competition" etc).
This wasn't a liquid lunch by any chance? Knocking back one too many martinis, or whatever it is that journalistic types drink nowadays.

Posted by: Gburg | April 9, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

As a fellow Gildea, he and my hometown favorite Jim Murray were two greats!

Posted by: jgildea | April 9, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Man, I just finished a 1000+ word story on some accounting nonsense... then I read that Gildea piece.

Way to make me feel like a hack, Goff! (I am)

Posted by: d, dc | April 9, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Gildea. A great wordsmith. Loved his stuff.

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 9, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

POINT 6????????

Let's hope that Pachuca has difficulty moving the ball through this thick, low altitude air, and thus their whole game is slowed...

Posted by: StatsMaster | April 9, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I hope the choke on our thick air. freaks...j/k

Posted by: jgildea | April 9, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I think 23.6 feels about right. We've realized "Little Buddy" falls to his feet way too often and he's worked out of the starting 11, whether or not Jaime is in the picture. We had a solid performance over the weekend as a confidence builder. Without those two things we'd be at 13.6.

Posted by: David | April 9, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

It is already filling up lot 8 tailgate. Hope to come full force DC United. I saw some kids with their parents going to the amusement park :)

Posted by: td | April 9, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

i see a 5-0 score line.

DC united all the way.

The drive for 7 trophies in 08 has begun.

make sure you eat before you go, since Ovations runs the consessions

Posted by: vasco | April 9, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

anyone know when they will announce the schedule for the CL semifinals?

Posted by: pat | April 9, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

DC 2, Pachuca 0

Posted by: Asher | April 9, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see how well the Metrorail system handles the perfect storm (three events within a few kilometers of one another). Then again, I work near the Verizon Center, and Wizards fans don't seem to use the system to the same extent as Caps fans. When the Caps are playing, and you are in the Metro Center, Gallery Place, or Judiciary Square station, you know it.

Posted by: tri-village | April 9, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

3-0 Pachuca. Obviously you all did not see them dismantle America over the weekend. They look like a well oiled machine. Sorry folks, the tournament ends tonight.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

DC 2, Pachuca 0

Posted by: Asher | April 9, 2008 5:56 PM
=========================================

If that is your prediction, don't you have to say what will happen in overtime?

Posted by: tri-village | April 9, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I am a Red Bull New York season ticket holder, but tonight I am rooting my heart out for D.C. United (and Houston). Let's go Screaming Eagles!!!!

I want an MLS team in the FIFA Club World Championship so bad I can taste it.

Here is hoping all MLS fans can put the MLS ahead of their own team loyalties and root the league on towards respect and someday...greatness. It all starts with us, and we have to spread the gospel of the beautiful game.

Finally, I wonder if some or all of you share this view: I love the MLS and my Red Bull New York. But that love is a distant second to my desire to see the US win the World Cup during my lifetime. (I am 36, so hopefully at least another ten chances.) Said another way, my view is that because many of the MNT players are going to come up through MLS, we need the MLS to be as strong as possible so that any years spent in MLS are as developmentally valuable as possible. So the better the MLS is, the better the MNT can become.

I played football in college and am originally from Detroit, and thus love the Red Wings, Lions, Tigers, Pistons and Wolverines. I would give up watching college football and all pro sports (other than soccer) for the rest of me life, AND give up beer, if only it would help the US win the World Cup. I would also sleep with any number of overweight, hairy, and/or otherwise unsightly women if I thought that would help. Shoot, I would sleep with three a day and four on weekends if that would do the trick, and I am open to other suggestions.

Posted by: DCU Fan For A Night! | April 9, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

"I played football in college and am originally from Detroit, and thus love the Red Wings, Lions, Tigers, Pistons and Wolverines.

There's the problem right there -- you back That School Up North.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

hmmmmm...lets go with a 13.66666667 chance of for an aggregate win. I do, however, think we have a respectable chance to win the day but not the series.

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | April 9, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for da holla earlier about the tailgate.
Soon I'll be a taker today just isn't the day.
I hope to make it home from the stupid bar without spending more than 28 bucks.
I got a chance to work tommorow morning real early and am afraid going to RFK would have thrown a wrench in the works.
Sooo off to the Courthouse area to watch the game on tv, god that sounds pathetic, even more so if they end up beating Pachuca...
Vamos United!

Posted by: Dadaryan | April 9, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

DCU Fan For A Night,

I appreciate your support, but if the situation were reversed, I'd be rooting for Pachuca to kick the tar out of NYRB. You've grown accustomed to seeing DC collect the trophies while NY's trophy case remains bare so another sign of DC's dominance wouldn't bother you, but to me, any hardware that the Red Bulls receive would be an affront to God and the natural order.

Who roots for a league anyway? That may be NYRB fans' main problem right there. They don't know squat about soccer.

Posted by: DCU Fan Forever | April 9, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

"While you are at it, try to persuade them to stay at RFK and watch a meaningful competition instead of one of 162 beisbol games."

Goff:baseball as Fischer:soccer

just kidding!

Posted by: Glaucon | April 9, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Very interesting lineup by Mr. Soehn, I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out. I assume the thinking is that Moreno will boost possession and provide a link between the mids and Emilio/Quaranta who are not always very good about coming back for the ball.

Posted by: noptov52 | April 9, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

hey anyone got a stream for the game tonight. Still in iraq but need to get my united fix.... please help..

Posted by: JIN | April 9, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

According to someone yesterday, there should be a stream here:

I watched last week's game here, and had no problems. Commentary is in Spanish; don't know if that affects you. I don't understand a lick of it, but I enjoy it none-the-less. Plus, the message board seemed to have a lot of bilingual trash talking going on, which was pretty entertaining. What I understood anyway. Hope this helps!

Posted by: to JIN | April 9, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow DCU Fan Forever. That guy says he will back your team and you act like a bratty kid.

Is it your view that all that matters in soccer is DC United? If so, then you are the one who "don't know squat about soccer". Get a clue. It is accepted throughout the world the national team success in the World Cup trumps EVERYTHING. But you have the very continental view of the world that Americans are often criticized for.

Yes, DCU has trophies, but they are MLS trophies. Not World Cup trophies that allow the national team to put a star above the badge on their kits. Your thinking is small fish/small pond, and you have embarrassed me and your fellow Screaming Eagles.

Posted by: DCU Fan Forever Lacks a Clue | April 9, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I support Team USA, just not that team that plays in New Jersey. Real soccer fans know the difference. Do Celtic fans root for Rangers in the Champions League in the hopes that it will somehow help Scotland's prospects? Of course not.

Posted by: DCU Fan Forever | April 9, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

here's one that definitely works, I'm watching now!! Yay for the internets!!!

Posted by: to JIN | April 9, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Love Gildea's stuff. His book on high school basketball in Indiana, "Where the Game Matters Most," is one of my all-time favorites and a must-read for high school sports fans, alongside Friday Night Lights, of course.

Posted by: JTY | April 9, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

So even if it helped Team USA, you wouldn't support another team? What are we, in fifth grade?

The Scottish Premier League is an established league that actually gets to participate in the Champions League. The MLS is an upstart dying for international credibility. One would think that difference was obvious. But to you, even if the Red Bulls made it to the Club World Championships, which would obviously help MLS (and arguably USMNT) you would root against them? How silly. That is cutting off your nose to spite your face? (Or is it throwing out the baby with the bathwater?)

By the way, you picked a tremendously poor example. One of my best mates supports Hearts and he roots his butt off for whatever SPL side is in the Champions League.

Now go sit in the corner and take a timeout.

Posted by: DCU Fan Forever Lacks a Clue | April 9, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Great tempo to start, but I'm worried about stamina going forward in the game...

Posted by: MK | April 9, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

The connection between an MLS team participating in the Club World Championship and USA success is highly dubious, but putting that aside, isn't it my prerogative to care for my club team (and hate their rivals) more than I root for my national team? All this fandom is a bit arbitrary anyway so let's refrain from accusations of immaturity. Rooting for a national squad is a form of parochialism too. It so happens that I am a fan of the U.S., but can one not root for D.C. United and Mexico, Argentina, or some other national side as well?

Posted by: DCU Fan Forever | April 9, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

--------

I can firmly say that I happily root for any MLS team in any international competition. That even applies to RBNY and the Galaxy, neither of which I like. Right now, one of the key things for MLS teams is to perform well in international competition -- doing so will increase the profile of the league and help draw in better talent and get better TV deals, sponsorship, etc.

Quite frankly, I don't get MLS fans who root against other MLS teams.

Posted by: Phil | April 9, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

How the game?

Posted by: Trap at work! | April 9, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

WNT 0: CRC 0 at the half

CRC bunkering; US 10 shots, 5 corners, no goals.

Posted by: WNT fan | April 9, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

god, Emilio is pathetic. It's gonna be a long season. Now he's doing the Moreno jig: can't score from 3 feet out

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we (USWNT) can penetrate into the area and win a PK. That may decide the match

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 9, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Why aren't you at the match DCU For Life?

If you agree with the original premise that a better MLS means a better national team, then an MLS team winning the world championship should help the national team, because it would obviously help the MLS.

By the way, you said "Real soccer fans know the difference." What difference?

Also, it is painful to read when people refer to themselves as "real soccer fans" on blogs. Most who say it are posing.

And people who say things like "that team from New Jersey" are usually 15, maybe 16 max. Adults don't say such things, so I have to support the immaturity implication.

Posted by: ??? re DCU For Life | April 9, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Did he really ask "who roots for a league"? How can you brag about DCU trophies if you don't think the league is any good? Is the thinking really "we dominate a crappy league"?

Where did this guy come from?

Posted by: I root for a league! | April 9, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Kai at 58' makes it 1-0 USA, assist Heath (a halftime sub)

Posted by: WNT fan | April 9, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Costa Rica has to un-bunker now. I hoping for a few more goals.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 9, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

this team runs 100% around Jaime Moreno...still. He makes the engine run. What a brilliant pass to Emilio, and Emilio does his thing....nothing

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Emilio!! You can't take that many touches on a break-away in the box when you're as slow as he is!! I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Emilio is not a good striker. Moreno even did all the work and created the opportunity for him!! This game should be 1-0 DCU

Posted by: DCU_needs_a_legit_striker | April 9, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

What's the heck is wrong with Emilio? We should have at least 2 goals by now if it wasn't for Emilio's blunders.

Posted by: Nick | April 9, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Prediction 3 goals in the second half...lets just hope they are ours.

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | April 9, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Not just Emilio. The passing in the last third has been poor.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 9, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Matchtracker says "Heath is grabbed on the left flank."

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

The passing isn't poor when you have the ball at your feet, in the box, with no defenders in front of you, and you try to take 3 touches. That should've been a goal.

Posted by: DCU_needs_a_legit_striker | April 9, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

2-0 O'Reilly from Kai

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 9, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Get. Emilio. Off. The. Field. Now!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

When an MLS side succeeds in a meaningful international competition, it can only help the league and the reputation of soccer in our country. If you travel anywhere outside of the states, perceptions of our league and the national team program are tied together, and they are based almost entirely on World Cup performance and goofy 3am highlight shows.

Leagues in established soccer nations sell themselves. We are still sharing stadiums with baseball teams and getting excited if they mention MLS in passing on SportsCenter during the postseason. Until the MLS has firmly established itself within the country and internationally as a viable league, I will continue to support all of our teams regardless of my die-hard United fan-hood.

...except for Real Salt Lake. The more we can keep that name out of the international spotlight, the better.

Posted by: MK | April 9, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

... Although it should be unassisted according to the description - the keeper spilled it.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 9, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Here comes the onslaught...

Posted by: MK | April 9, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why that goal was waived off, but Emilio needs to watch that and learn. That guy shot it one time and on goal. That's what a good goal scorer does.

Posted by: DCU_needs_a_legit_striker | April 9, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

First, that "goal" wasn't waived off. It didn't go in! It hit the side netting and went behind -- Wells even went to retrieve it behind the goal. Not sure why Bretos or ... Sullivan? couldn't see that.

Second, um, I'm not a DC fan so I honestly don't know, but where does this Emilio hate come from? Didn't he win the golden boot and mvp last year?

Posted by: Issa | April 9, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

and third, that was a clear pnealty.

Posted by: Issa | April 9, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

golazzo Kai 3-0

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Kai makes it 3 with an assist from Hucles. Adios Ticas. Hola Olympics.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 9, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

fred was pulled down, no question. terrible.

Posted by: hoyanick | April 9, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see the goal. Im watching the game on TVU and its very unclear, so it looked like it was in on my computer.

I am not hating on Emilion, I just don't think he is that good. Yes, he did score 20 goals last year and won the golden boot, but I was never really sold on him. I don't think he's very creative or very good 1 on 1. I also think he is a step slow to be an elite striker. This definitely shows in International Competition, when the defense is a step faster and more skilled. Against MLS defenders, he's weaknesses are not noticeable because MLS defense is more about size and toughness. I think if our beloved DCU wants to make a name internationally, they need a more quality forward than Emilio.

Third, that was a foul, I also agree with that.

Posted by: DCU_needs_a_legit_striker | April 9, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I like Fred better in the middle of the field.

Great cross from Burch!

Posted by: MK | April 9, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Re: emilio. Gotcha.

Posted by: Issa | April 9, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Another example on that header. Yes, the Pachuca keeper is one of the best. But there was not a defender within 2 yards of him, and he headed up straight. A more quality forward would have put that to a corner/back of the net

Posted by: DCU_needs_a_legit_striker | April 9, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Just got here--How's the game going?

Posted by: Dan | April 9, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

did http://www.justin.tv/psn_2 just crap out for you too?

Posted by: voodoodiver | April 9, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Yes I cannot watch, my internet is too slow here at college

Posted by: Dan | April 9, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

That link died for me too... crap.

Posted by: Modibo | April 9, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

yeah, it crapped out on me too. now I get to play phone relay of commentary. bah.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Here it is again... oh great goal Pachuca.

Posted by: Modibo | April 9, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

See that finish? He had tons of space. but he takes one excellent touch, and then delivers the Dagger. Back to MLS for DCU.

Posted by: DCU_needs_a_legit_striker | April 9, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't call them a superclub like Bretos, but another classy performance for Pachuca. As much as I'm usually rooting against all things Mexico in soccer, Pachuca gives you very little to dislike.

Posted by: MK | April 9, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo: $1.9 million of WORTHLESS. Get Christian Gomez back on this team. What a waste of money! This team is sad. Jaime runs the show. Emilio and Gallardo should be sent packing, tonight!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

speed kills, particularly when we don't have much of it. Pachuca have just killed us with their speed notably from our attackers in front of goal. It seems that nearly every attempt at goal was blocked at the defense and never reached the goal.

Posted by: rob | April 9, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Rowdy Roddy with a consolation goal - it would have been a crime to come out of the game without a goal though.

Posted by: MK | April 9, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Great work from Fred on that run. And great one-timer from Dyachenko.

Posted by: DCU_needs_a_legit_striker | April 9, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

geez Emilio, did you watch Rod strike the ball?? Maybe you'd like to practice against a high school wall tonight to get your touch from 3 yards out. Thanks Rod, for making us repectable tonight.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

i agree that gallardo looks to be way overpriced or way overhyped or both. moreno has looked good. i don't know what's wrong with emilio but he needs to pick it up soon. tonight would have been a good time to start...

Posted by: andrew | April 9, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

They neglected to mention that Simms made the USMNT as the regulars were in a contract squabble.

NIELL GOAL!! FREJJ AGAIN WITH AN ASSIST!!

Posted by: MK | April 9, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

update??!?

Posted by: dan | April 9, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

2-1 DC win, 3-2 Pachuca on agg.

See 'em at the end of July in the SuperLiga semifinals...

Posted by: MK | April 9, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

3 goals and six subs and all the ref gives is 2 mins of extra time??? A great performance by DC. Tough luck loss just seems like we always have bad luck in this tourney

Posted by: matt y | April 9, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Proud of the boys for playing hard and grinding out the win. We are getting closer....

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | April 9, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

There were 85 minutes where we could have scored but didn't, so while they should have had more injury time, we can't really complain.

Posted by: MK | April 9, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

If we have to play the blame game (which we do after losses), I point to Namoff. What was he thinking on the Pachuca goal? "Oh, I'll just wander over to the marked attackers and give my guy 20 yards."

Great to see depth (especially O'Neil) come in and make an impact.

Posted by: Glaucon | April 9, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

game over 2-1 United

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Simms played for the usa in the 05' gold cup. Unless donovan, beasley and keller were strike breakers then your info is wrong. Did u watch the game? Simms playd great and has all season

Posted by: Matt Y | April 9, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

"Did the commentator just say that Clyde Simms should be considered for the US MNT? Oh jebus I hope not. "

Yeah, what's wrong with that? The guy performs his defensive duties admirably, doesn't make mistakes, and keeps possession. Why shouldn't Bradley take a look at him?

I liked having Fred out on the right and Burch as left midfielder. Hopefully we'll see some more of that.

Posted by: Glaucon | April 9, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: matt y | April 9, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Agree with the Simms comment. He was money tonight and we are lucky to have him

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | April 9, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know where the Ref lives? I wanna take him a burned DVD of that no-call penalty in the box.

Posted by: Fred | April 9, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Why does nobody else like Gallardo?? I think he has been great, especially this game. Passes the ball better than anybody else. Shot and corners have been below par, but everything else has been great!

Fred on the other hand.....
Wow, Truly class. Reminds me of Ronaldo, but lacking the shot.

Posted by: Garret | April 9, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

"Uhh...again someone didn't watch the game. On the goal pachuca had a 4v3 man advantage so u can't blame namoff. In the end burch's clearance/touch set the alvarez clear"

It was 4 on 3 until McTavish (I think got back). That's when Namoff wandered. Even if it's 4 on 3, you keep one guy middle, one guy left, and one guy right. Not two in the middle and one on the right.

Posted by: Glaucon | April 9, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Totally objective question:

Did the ref miss like 2-3 calls for DCU but call everything even minorily in Pachucas way??

Posted by: Rocko | April 9, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

How does one follow the Houston game online? A simple matchtracker will do.

Posted by: tri-village | April 9, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo looked fantastic. His touch and vision are miles ahead of anybody on the team. he is much better then gomes, it's like comparing kobe beef to usda prime. what in tarnation are you two talking about?

Posted by: Pindar | April 9, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Emilio had an off night. Everyone else was excellent, including Soehn. We should be able to build on this outstanding performance, although the next game (against RSL) will be tough due to the physical and mental hangover from this one. Once we bounce back (hopefully sooner rather than later), we should dominate in MLS. After tonights performance, I have great hope for our chances in the Champions League, Superliga, and MLS Cup. Tonight this team (without Benny on the field) showed real heart and real class against one of the best teams in our hemisphere.

Posted by: Aquia | April 9, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

How does one follow the Houston game online? A simple matchtracker will do.

Posted by: tri-village | April 9, 2008 10:09 PM
-------------------------------------

I'm watching it on TVU... Sold out stadium in Costa Rica, pitch plays superfast, almost like turf. Early on Houston is looking shaky. Robinson and Boswell out for the game, which is rough because Weibel comes out in the 3rd minute with a hammy...

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 9, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

So, why did they skip the national anthems at RFK? Never saw that before...

Posted by: Albert Hall | April 9, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

To watch the Saprissa-Dynamo match.

Posted by: Nic | April 9, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

we wuz robbed!

Great effort by the boys tonight. It was nice that Pachuca came to play and not sit on their lead, so that made for an exciting match. It's just a shame the referee was so biased in favor of Pachuca. 2 CLEAR PKs not called. Any time our guys (especially Luci and Simms) even breathed on one of theirs they hit the deck and got a foul call. 2 mins of stoppage time is BS. The goal happened right at 90 so he should have added at least another 30 seconds after that.

NO ONE can blame Namoff for that goal or anything else. He was everywhere and read the game brilliantly. It's good to have him back healthy. He ought to get some National team consideration. Martinez was a beast too. He makes the most amazing tackles. It looked like he may have pulled an abdominal though on the last. Maybe it will be smart to let him rest this weekend instead of playing on the turf.

It was also great that we kept battling even after going down 3-0. Just too many missed chances (Luci SHOOT!) and a few too many easy give aways. But I like our chances in MLS if we can keep up this level of play.

Posted by: Glenn | April 9, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Leave yer handle complainers.
or join Pachuca and Roma in the constantly complaining when things aren't going your way dept.
Glad I stuck around to see Rod stick it in the back of the net and Frank Oneil as well.
Summers sucks.
Start Quaranta or Rod up front and then bring in Moreno.
Wells is still out of position all the time.
that crap has got to stop.
Now that this CCC crap is over someone please give the other goal keeper a gosh darn look.!

Posted by: Dadryan. | April 9, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Totally objective question:

Posted by: Rocko | April 9, 2008 10:08 PM

Posted by: Yes | April 9, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Houston a bit unlucky

Posted by: sitruc | April 9, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Saprissa scores a very weak goal as a shot deflects off Ianni and jut barely squirts under keeper King. Now Houston will have to chase the game.

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 9, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

The keeper's name is Tony Caig.

Posted by: Nic | April 9, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

I just got home from RFK, but I am confident that United is still sitting just outside the box waiting for the perfect pass right this moment...still.

Posted by: NW FC | April 9, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Emilio showed me today that he is an excellent MLS striker, but put a quality defender on him and he is not as dangerous; he missed about 3 quality chances tonight.

Clyde Simms was the man of the match, he played off his skin and did an excellent job of being the connection between the defense and the midfield to create something.

Gallardo had his worse game in a DCU kit, I thought Moreno had a decent game as did Quaranta, but that final ball tonight was shocking.

I guess the only thing I really liked about tonight was that Guiness is back in the concessions stands.

Posted by: Red Devil | April 9, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I would also like to add that I have never seen a more biased referee than the one at tonight's match. Almost every decision went to Pachuca, I was surprised a DCU player was not sent off or gave a soft penalty to Pachuca.

Posted by: Red Devil | April 9, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

We were almost close to tie up but it wasn't our day. I don't know when will be though? MLS won't be presented again in the club worl cup again because the Houston is lossing. Ref was somewhat questionable to a few calls but what else could we do? Two goals were atleast pride of out league against a very good Mexican team.
While we were tailgating, Will Chang stopped by at our SE site. It was great feeling. He simply looks a very simple guy who cares about the clube and the fans. It was great that I actually saw him walking to our tail gate.

Posted by: td | April 9, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Getting back from the game, I have a few observations.

Moreno played awful. He lost the ball at least every other time he touched it. Sadly, DC's offense still runs through him, yet we scored twice with him off the field, which was unexpected.

I love Burch, the man knows how to whip in a cross, which was lacking the entire game.

What's that you say, Emilio has no touch? Shocking I know. Needless to say, Emilio will torch some of these sorry MLS defenses but is short on the type of class you need to win these games.

Soehn actually has to get some credit for his alignment and subs tonight, he definitely was trying to win it.

Pachuca's goal was crap, DC was pushing up searching for the goal and a very unlucky bounce takes the clearance right to those bastards.

And of yeah, CONCACAF refs are gawd-awful!

Posted by: G-Dub | April 9, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Can't tell u how many times we we're chanting obscenities at the ref tonight. They were awful. DC got tons of cards and for all the rough tackles pachuca doled out they got only one. Seemed like there was alot of rough play going on off of the ball as well that the ref was unaware of.

Posted by: F*CK YOU REF | April 9, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see the guys fight for the goals at the end. I hope that attitude (notably without Ben on the field) carries over into MLS regular season matches where the aren't as high.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 9, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't look we'll be seeing Houston-Pachuca...

Posted by: sitruc | April 9, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Well at least the USA women qualified for the Olympics

Posted by: Rocko | April 9, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Gophers against Purple Monster for the last Champions Cup -- Saprissa just went up 2-0.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 9, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Ouch. Nice strike from Saprissa likely dooms Houston... 2-0

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 9, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Overall our play was respectable. Still, while we had a chance we were outplayed even though we 'won'. Certainly a better showing than last week but we I don't think we were ever really that close.

You can beef about the refs but ultimately you make your own luck.

Posted by: Kire | April 9, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo sucks balls. What was our front office thinking?

Posted by: We Want Gomez | April 9, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

What was the total attendance? Looked like 25k.

Posted by: Garret | April 9, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Pachuca did nothing to make it easy on DC, and missed chances did not help. The team seemed like they're still getting to know each other on the field.
Peralta and Namoff misunderstanding led to Tuzos goal. Namoff assumed Peralta would stay on the left after being beat. Peralta assumed the same about Namoff. Man alone. Goal.
Emilio was brought in because we had nothing else other than Moreno to finish anything, and even Moreno was struggling (at the time, Eskandarian was inconsistent, Quaranta was hardly a threat). Luciano is not a one-on-one guy, but expected to strike the net more often than your average MLS forward.
Some of you may be right on Gallardo, considering his salary, but I'll reserve judgement. He passes the ball into spaces where he expects quality players to run into. DCU players are not li is no Veron

Posted by: Lassiter | April 9, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo sucks? Are you kidding me? Obviously you've never played the game, nor watched much. He's quite good. The problem is, our forwards (please see Emilio for starters) aren't doing anything to convert. How many times did Gallardo feed perfect balls into the box, only to see Pachuca steal it away from one of our forwards? Moreno wasn't bad tonight, but again, without Emilio playing well, there wasn't much going forward.

Let's also not forget that this is game 4 with Gallardo running the offense. If memory serves me correctly, it took 1/2 year for Etcheverry to get things moving in the right direction in 1996. Or do you also believe he sucked balls?

Posted by: Hoost | April 9, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Oh well, so much for avoiding the "submit" button. Anyway. Meant to talk about Juan Sebastian Veron. Coulda. Woulda.
Juan Pablo Angel makes 1.5 million, nearly 5 times more than Emilio. Hopefully Luciano will not drop in goal production.
If the team ever clicks, they will be better than last year (but agree about goalkeeper's fears).

Posted by: Lassiter | April 9, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

OK. SO I'm home now. And, I have seen bad referees before. This is the first time I've watched a game and concluded the referee was not a disinterested party. I don't know if he was paid off, or if he just had it in for the American side. Phantom fouls, a bogus yellow, two horribly missed penalties in the box.

Yet, worst of all for me was the ref blowing the whistle to stop play at the end of each half, when United was in the middle of an organized attack. Not before the attack started, not while the team was looking for a way forward, but as United actually was moving forward and about to make a pass into the box. He waited to see if Pachuca might break up the attack, and only whistled play when it became clear that United was about to create a shot at net.

If CONCACAF or FIFIA don't investigate this referee, those organizations will have no reason to continue in existence.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 9, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

"Simms played for the usa in the 05' gold cup. Unless donovan, beasley and keller were strike breakers then your info is wrong."

=======

Simms was called into camp as a replacement player because the USSF and Players Association were in a stalemate over the expired collective bargaining agreement. They finally reached a deal and the regulars came back. In the meantime, Simms did well in camp, so he was rewarded with being a 91st minute sub against England. He was not on the roster for the '05 Gold Cup.

Posted by: MK | April 9, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 9, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

the photo accompanying your post-game article mis-identifies Juan Carlos Cacho as Fausto Pinto.

Disappointing result in the end but I'm still proud of my favorite team. I'll be hoarse for a while.

Watching Saprissa - Houston on FSN makes me think Pachuca should earn another trip to Japan.

Posted by: garbaggio | April 9, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what's the deal with Emilio but ever since the season started he has been very slow. If Sohn brought Niell a little earlier would it have changed the game. He finally scored a goal. Oh, well that FIFA Club World is over so now United needs to focus on MLS or SuperLiga crab.

Posted by: td | April 9, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

As for Emilio, the man needs space to shoot. He should never be given the ball when he has to hold it or pass it. You could count on one hand the number of times he didn't give up the ball.

I remain big on Martinez. Skill, hustle, and spunk. He also seemed to be the fittest DCU player out there. Some of our other players need to do wind sprints. And I also thought Namoff played his heart out.

Posted by: LD | April 9, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

What sucked balls was that pachuca's goal was flukish. If not for Burch tracking back and deflecting the ball straight to their forward, there would not have been a goal. The pachuca midfielder wasn't even looking to pass in that direction!

Posted by: page | April 9, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Saprissa adds a third following an inadvertent back header from a Houston player sends a forward in uncontested as Caig comes way out of the box and leaves an easy empty net.

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 9, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

On the Pachuca goal -- it seemed to me that DCU was outmanned in the bakc. It was a 4 on 3. You could see the goal coming, as the rest of the team was taking its sweet time getting back.

I don't thank Gallardo was especially great. Perhaps, I will feel differently, if I watch a replay on TV. At the stadium it seemed he made some decent passes -- not great ones, as the striker wasn't put in position to do much -- but, he gave away a few balls, especially late. I was hoping they wouldn't give him the ball those last few times down the field, and my hopes were rewarded with two goals.

Namoff had another great game. I wish those big lugs in the middle had anything like his skills on the ball. Still, they play pretty good defense. Simms is such a key contributor that I hate to harp on his offense, but he didn't help enough tonight.

In truth, while I wish Luci had the speed to make more of some of those opportunities, the one player I thought really could have and should have done better was Fred. Again, maybe I'll feel differently watching it on TV, but it seemed Fred was largely ineffective and lost too many balls.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 9, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Anyone that thinks Galladro stinks needs to watch a little more soccer. Very very different player than Gomez. Gallardo is much more like Etcheverry, only better. Yes his free kicks havent found the mark yet, but they should get there. If DC had Lassiter right now, you could ring him up for 30 goals with Gallardo feeding him.

Posted by: Henchlow | April 9, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

What was the total attendance? Looked like 25k.

Posted by: Garret | April 9, 2008 11:15 PM

DCU site says 17,329. Looked like more to me.

Posted by: FC | April 9, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

No way that was 17k.

Posted by: Garret | April 9, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Isn't the lower bowl only about 19,000?

Posted by: sitruc | April 10, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

LD said, "The Pachuca goal came, if you recall, right after Gallardo tripped on his own bootlaces and gave up the ball. I am pretty sure the back line (which should have covered) wasn't prepared for that. He is solid in the middle, but hasn't shown me anything worth what he's getting paid. He's supposed to be the experienced international player out there, what with two World Cups and all..."

The break that gave Pachuca that goal wasn't Gallardo's fault at all. It was Emilio's horrible touch that gave away possession. Gallardo has been composed and intelligent on the ball. For me it has been totally evident that he is a class above everyone that he has shared the pitch with this year. Although he hasn't been flashy or spectacular, he orchestrates very well from the midfield. I've been impressed.

Posted by: Give Gallardo a Break | April 10, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, Goff, but this is simply incorrect:
"Things nearly got worse shortly after the break, but Chitiva's apparent goal was nullified by an offside call"

The ball went wide and hit the side netting. No offside, just a goalkick.

Posted by: Glenn | April 10, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

I was pissed at Emilio for creating the turnover and counter for Pachuca instead of creating a scoring opportunity for DC. People were looking at me like I was crazy and blamed in on the 4 on 3 which I thought had an unlucky bounce off a clearance.

Posted by: sitruc | April 10, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Give Goff a break. I thought the ball went through the netting and came out the back side. I was wondering what was the call, why they weren't getting a goal myself, until the guy next to me said the shot missed.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 10, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

As much as we like to complain about the referees, does anyone know why the Pachuca goal was disallowed? Can you imagine if the tables were turned?

Posted by: Give referree a Break | April 10, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I don't think this is right, either: "while in the act of shooting from 12 yards, he [Emilio] had the ball swept away by sliding defender Marvin Cabrera."

Watching live, I wasn't sure, but the scoreboard replay seemed to show that Cabrera took out Emilio, not the ball. The first of 2 penalty kicks that should have been given.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 10, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

I did not see that incident but from what I was told it was a clean tackle and Emilio took way too long to shoot.

Posted by: Red Devil | April 10, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

I didn't say Emilio didn't take too long to shoot. It definitely was not his night. Just thought it looked like a foul. If anyone saw this on TV and can give input, I'd love to know. Ditto on Fred being pulled down...

I will say that I agree with I-270. It was great to see that kind of urgency and spirit at the end. The kind of play that nearly rescued our season against Chcago. As I wrote then, if DCU would play like that ALL the time, they'd be unbeatable.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 10, 2008 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or is Gallardo just about the weakest free kicker on the planet? It's almost as if the GK has way too much time to react.

Anybody know the nationality of the Referee?

Posted by: Juan-John | April 10, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

I thought it was an excellent, high paced game, and a solid win (despite aggregate loss). We are still undefeated in RFK this year. DC showed incredible promise for the rest of the season and really played their hearts out tonight. Hats off to the guys and some pretty favorable ratings for beating a very tough opponent:
Soehn - 7 - I like the attacking mentality
Wells - 7 - A couple very very big saves
Namoff - 7 - all over the place, awesome game
Peralta - 7 - Solid performance with 3 back
Martinez - 7 - Kept his head & played solid
Simms - 8 - Wins it and keeps it MV DC player
Gallardo - 6 - best performance yet, some wonderful balls in, some miscues, he and the team are just starting to really click. needs work on set pieces.
Fred - 7 - always a threat, worked his ass off, nice assist(s?)
McTavish - 5 - he has played better, but still a solid performance
Quaranta - 7 - awesome considering the cast
Moreno - 7 - he provided multiple silver platters and was his silky classy self
Emelio - 3 - what is a striker if he can't finish and loses possession, where's that '07 form?
Burch - 5 - some nice crosses as expected
Niell - 6 - he FINALLY finishes one. big game for him.
Dyachenko - 6 - solid finish, nice possession

Posted by: Sean G | April 10, 2008 1:01 AM | Report abuse

I'd rate Namoff above his defense mates -- an 8. Burch definitely had his best moments of the season, and gave the offense life -- he desreves much better than 5. I'd say a 7. Niell also turned int very good play. He was only in a short time, but his hustle was there, and this time his play didn't seem so discombobulated. I'd bump him up, too. A three is harsh for Emilio, who had a fine header. He should have put away a couple of other chances, so I'd give him a 5 or 6.

On the other hand, Quaranta doesn't deserve a 7. He played one good ball to Emilio, and he had one good shot. The rest of his touches were off the mark. If Emilio deserves a 3, Quaranta would have to be lower. I'd give him a 5 or 6, too. I'd knock Fred down to a 6, too. Moreno gave away a lot of balls, but so did Fred. Both get a 6 in my book.

Dyachenko -- few minutes, but good on offense and defense. I give him a 7. First time I've really been impressed by him.

Same with Wells. At least a 7. First time I've been impressed with his play.

Soehn -- I think he gave us a good formation to start with. He also made great substitutions. I moaned about each one, but they each worked wonderfully. My hat's off to Tommy.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:52 AM | Report abuse