Matchday: DCU-RSL

Greetings again from Estadio RFK.

Before we get to the new-look DCU lineup, I wanted to offer up an update on former DCU midfielder Brian Kamler, who is in town for the match. While his primary purpose for the visit is color commentator on RSL's radio broadcast (he also does TV on occasion), he also was hoping to help out ailing former teammate Ben Olsen. You see, Kamler's full-time gig these days is in the medical sales business in Salt Lake City and he has products -- Actipatch and Actiloop -- that he thought might help solve Olsen's persistent ankle problems. The devices are supposed to draw blood to the injured area, which in turn promotes healing. At this point, Olsen will probably try almost anything.

Okay, the match.

Tom Soehn is going with a 3-5-2 formation with Zach Wells in goal, Bryan Namoff, Gonzalo Peralta and Gonzalo Martinez along the back and -- get this -- rookie Dan Stratford pairing with Clyde Simms in defensive midfield behind playmaker Marcelo Gallardo. Fred and Santino Quaranta are on the flanks with Jaime Moreno and Luciano Emilio up front. Interesting, huh?

The bench is Carvallo, Carroll, Dyachenko, Kirk, Burch, Niell and Cordeiro. McTavish (foot-ankle) and Mediate (hamstring) are out with minor injuries.

You know the storyline: RSL is feeling pretty good about itself after thumping United 4-0 two weeks ago and D.C. is getting desperate for a victory after a 1-3 start.

How serious is Martinez about this game? He shaved "23" into the back of his head.

As always, this is the place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion. In 3.....2.....1.....

By Steve Goff  |  April 26, 2008; 6:29 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday Primer
Next: DCU-RSL Aftermath

Comments

Emilio bags 2. I predict DCU 3:1 RSL.

Posted by: Ron | April 26, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm really surprised to see Stratford starting, but I've been eager to see him get some playing time and prove himself. Should be a good one.

Posted by: Andy | April 26, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Martinez shaved 23 into the back of his head! I hope they focus the camera on it during the game.

Posted by: 23 | April 26, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 23 | April 26, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Do us Mountaineers proud, Danny Boy!

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | April 26, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Emilio and Moreno again!! I thoght by this time he should be benched and put Niell in. If it doesn't work today I have serious thoughts about Tom. Atleast the weather is clearing now at the stadiums. Go United!!!

Posted by: td | April 26, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I really like this lineup.

Good to see Soehn trying some new formations and player combinations. It's a long season, and the team needs to find ways to work as many players into the rotation as posible, IMHO.

Posted by: DCUInWheaton | April 26, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

The latest radar map from the Weather Channel site shows that most of the rain is passing to the south of RFK. The next band of showers to the west is probably a couple of hours away; it may or may not hit before the final whistle.

Posted by: tri-village | April 26, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea, but I'd rather see Burch in for Emilio with Fred pushing forward. Hope this works though

Posted by: ahelms | April 26, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

The WFED pregame show is in progress:

Posted by: tri-village | April 26, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

"More importantly, I was looking into Actipatch and it seems like Ben Olsen's problems may be in the bedroom, rather than on his ankle. http://www.actipatch.com/

Posted by: 23 | April 26, 2008 6:48 PM"

ahhahahahah, yeah, draw blood to the affected area

Posted by: peridigm | April 26, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree Tri-village. When Emilio was benched last year, he came back with a vengeance.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 26, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

WHY are DC games blocked on DK?? I mean why the hell do I purchase this freakin' product??

Posted by: Kosh | April 26, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

========================================

You must be thinking of someone else, I'm afraid.

Posted by: tri-village | April 26, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Fred out - not good.

Posted by: MK | April 26, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Welcome home, Dema - PK!!

Posted by: MK | April 26, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Two goals scored by people named Moreno, a few minutes and several hundred miles apart.

Posted by: tri-village | April 26, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

That was a Jaime classic! Someone needs to punish Talley for that cheap, card-deserving hack on Fred....

Posted by: speculation | April 26, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

What is going on with Wells? His communication's been really poor so far...

Posted by: MK | April 26, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

What is it about Dema and handballs?

Good for us this time.....

Posted by: PotomacBoater | April 26, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Just out of curiosity, how has the most recent experiment in sharing parking facilities turned out?

Posted by: tri-village | April 26, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

2 subs in the first 40...good thing we have 8 subs, right??

Posted by: Kosh | April 26, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

parking sharing not good. there used to be a trick to getting into one of the lots and getting out of it quickly post-game w/o being pushed out towards Virginia or Anacostia. Now that option is gone with baseball fans taking our lot. not cool.

Posted by: speculation | April 26, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko!?!?!?!? WTF. why will sohen not play kirk!?!?!?!? and why sub stratford in first half?

Posted by: XioPik | April 26, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Way to motivate the young'ins there Tommy. First you start him, then you sub himearly then you learn him on the sidelines. He probably saw something going on with Statford, but couldn't he have held out until the half? I hope Tommy's not starting to douby himself.

Posted by: Kosh | April 26, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I noticed after the PK Jamie pushed Peralta away after excepting congrats from all other players....anyone else note this and/or know anything about any relationship issues within the team?

Posted by: Chris | April 26, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

An RSL fan's halftime perspective: The same shortcoming by RSL that they have had in all their games (besides the first DCU game):
1) Don't know what to do with the ball in their attacking third of the pitch.
2) Don't have any width. Major difference between DCU and RSL is this.
3) RSL doesn't change point of attack quickly enough. Always slow to recognize this.
4) Borchers has been a rock in the back and has been all season.
5) Duechar/Findley combo just not working. When will Kreis realize this?

Beckerman having a terrible game. Can't count how many bad passes he has had.

Posted by: Timoteo | April 26, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

@Chris

Could just be he wanted everyone to calm and not get back into the game - you know the whole freaky few minutes after you score thingy. OR there could be some problems in the house...Goffinho, wha'cha know, bro?

Posted by: Kosh | April 26, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

A RSL fan's halftime perspective:
RSL is having the same problems that it has had in everygame except the first DCU game:
1) No width
2) No change of point of attack, slow to recognize it.
3) Deuchar/Findley up front does not work. Findley has no first touch.
4) No creative player (#10) who can make something happen in the attacking third.

Beckerman having a bad game. Can't count how many bad passes he has done.
Need to bring in Williams to the midfield, get Kovalenko (the thug) out.

TV Coverage is obnoxious. Too many cut aways while the ball is in play. Wait to show replays or extended sideline shots when the ball is out of play!

Posted by: Timoteo | April 26, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I am at the game and really sick of Emilio's lack of skills. Please sub him. At least Niell can run and get fouls.

Posted by: td | April 26, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Sorry meant Tri-village, I meant ahelms.

Posted by: Glaucon | April 26, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm fine with taking out Stratford after not performing well. I just thought it was strange to take out a defensive midfielder for an attacking midfielder. I would have rather seen Soehn insert Ryan Cordeiro at left wide mid, and slide Burch back into the 4-4-2, since we're leading.

Posted by: DCUMD | April 26, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

PK#2

Posted by: MK | April 26, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

@Kosh

Noted on the second PK Peralta was no were to be seen afterwards....

Man I feel like I'm looking for something here but some things on the field just don't seem right to me.

Posted by: Chris | April 26, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Did we just get a goal in the run of play?!

Posted by: PotomacBoater | April 26, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Santino!

Posted by: MK | April 26, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Yes we did.

Santino's earning my respect.....

Posted by: PotomacBoater | April 26, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Balance has been restored to the universe. This is the natural order of things. This is a properly aligned chi...

Posted by: Kosh | April 26, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Santino's earning my respect.....

Posted by: PotomacBoater
--------------

While Emilio continues to lose mine...

Posted by: Kosh | April 26, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

GALLARDO! That has to be a goal of the week strike!

Posted by: MK | April 26, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo!

Nice! Nice first touch rocket for a goal!

Posted by: PotomacBoater | April 26, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!!!!!

Gallardo...golazo!!!

Posted by: Kosh | April 26, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Holy Crap! what a goal!!!!!

Posted by: Chris | April 26, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

The Weather Channel shows some serious precip that is going to hit RFK within minutes after the final whistle, so people might want to start heading for the parking lots (or the Metro), given that DCU has this game in hand. (I suppose the SE/BB/LN folks will stay put and get soaked.)

Posted by: tri-village | April 26, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Emilio did get a PK. Maybe his role, right now, is being a decoy while the goals aren't coming.

Santino is playing really well. And that was a sweet sweet goal.

Posted by: Bart | April 26, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Finally...

The Captain/Kirk transaction.

We want 5! We want 5!!

Posted by: Kosh | April 26, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Erick, are you on board yet man?? Jaime Moreno is a gem. We are lucky to be alive at this time to see such a player, as is the case with Jack Nicklaus. United simply runs because of Moreno. That is a very sad fact for a very poor team unfortunately. But as far as Moreno goes, we in the states have not seen such a talent who sees the field as he does, and who can hold space like he does. This night was ALL Moreno. I only wish the rest of the team could pick up the slack. This talent is running on overtime, much like Nicklaus' '86 Masters. Stupid DC United front office, please do the right thing and use your 2nd DP card right now. If Moreno goes down, this team is toast. Nonetheless, thanks for a nice night United players. Now I wish I had gone to the game. Fill me in on Monday Erick.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 26, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I can't see how Santino doesn't get another start after his performance today.

Posted by: Bart | April 26, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

@Bart re:Emilio

You are indeed quite right, sir. BUT...I'm greedy AND expect more from my MVP. But hey, we're winning and winning convincingly...that's the tonic right there, baby!!

Posted by: Kosh | April 26, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

ok i love the way they are playing. lets keep this 3-5-2. Anyone else like this?

Posted by: Fisty409 | April 26, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

@Fisty409

Yeah, I'm diggin' it. We have some speed in the back and decent width in the middle, and once we get THE DOE we'll get that speed to make D's honest. I likey, I likey.

DC UNITED: We're the BIRD, you're the PREY!

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh | April 26, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo the bomb!!!

Posted by: td | April 26, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

What a game.
Never watched one in HD on a BIG Screen.
The Beer shower after Gallardo's goal looked hella awesome.
Simms sweating like a mother during his half time interview was glistening like a funky fresh and juicy disco ball!!!
Quaranta making up for some lousy attempts in the first half with a beautiful touch for a goal was priceless.
I hope we see more of these sweet, sweet things this season.
LOved it!

Posted by: Dadryan | April 26, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Well, we got a long, long way to go but that was nice step in the right direction. And boy did we need it!

I'm so glad we got a couple in the run of play after the PK's.

Posted by: Kire | April 26, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and a nice outing for Stratford!

Posted by: Kire | April 26, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan = the Bruno Tonioli of Soccer Insider?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 26, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Great game for Gallardo. He has proven to me that he's a special player. Jaime and Santino stood out as well.

Emilio wasn't as bad as he was last week; if he had been, I'd be demanding his exile.

Wells can make saves, but he is having terrible communications problems. The defense is poorly organized in front of the goal, and I put it on him. I think this is the team's biggest problem at this stage of the season---they have to learn to shut a team out.

Posted by: black shirt | April 26, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

For anyone within range of the Comcast mid-Atlantic feed, a rebroadcast of this game is underway at this moment(11pm-1am EDT).

Posted by: tri-village | April 26, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

I see that there is a large white tent in that gap in the stands behind the goal. It is at least a modest improvement aesthetically. Was something special going on down there; a wine and cheese party, perhaps? Can they make the tent a permanent feature? It is better than nothing.

Posted by: tri-village | April 26, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

I have been Zach Wells' biggest critic so far this season. Today at the game, I decided to keep a tally of his good and bad plays. He came out to a plus 2 for the good.

He is still making some stupid mistakes (bad communication with D, bad positioning of the wall, not coming off of his line quick enough/at all, not cutting off angles), but his reflexes are outstanding and he is doing a better job controlling the game.

I think that he had a solid game today and am happy with him today. I would give him a 7 for today's game. I have to give credit when it's due if I am going to be hard on him when he deserves it. Go United!!!

Posted by: Q | April 26, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Goff, could you comment on the relationships between some of the players, with gallardo making so much more than some of the players on developmental contracts?

Also, that second penalty was a terrible call. Great game all around though, Jaime MOTM no question

Posted by: GoUnited | April 26, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo Goal of the year.

Posted by: The Jim | April 26, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Statford not impressive at all... he brought nothing today

Posted by: qwerty | April 27, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Tri-village:

Re: the tent in the end of the field with no stands-i am in la norte and everyone commented on it. There were chairs and tables set up and it looked like silverware but no one went in the tent the entire game. Maybe it was an appeasement to the ghosts of RFK.

Posted by: pigman sweet | April 27, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

The Gals are romping over the Goats (5-2 late in the second half). Donovan apparently has a hat trick.

Posted by: tri-village | April 27, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, how could Gallardo's wonder strike NOT be goal of the week, if not goal of the year?!?

The reply showed what was an impossibly narrow angle, topped by Rimando moving to near post.

Honestly, one of the most technically perfect goals I have ever seen. Certainly one of the best narrow-angle volleys I have ever seen. (Damien Duff's vs United in the Chelsea match is a close second.)

Emilio is dismal. I cannot buy that he wants to score so bad that it is messing him up - that is front office propaganda. An OVEReager striker takes ridiculous shots in insane situations. Emilio's problem - or one of them - is that he never get the shot off. He continues to take that one-touch-too-many, by which time the defenders have closed, he is under pressure and loses the shot altogether.

Not a fair game to evaluate Wells. RSL challenged him maybe three times. To be sure, he did not inspire confidence - he continues to show that he has not mastered the six critical spanish words to run his defense (how tough to learn 'mio' or 'fuera' or 'dejala'?). On the RSL free kick, they hit the post and Wells stood there motionless, eyes glazed, catatonic, like he had a dump in his pants.

Props to Santino for scoring a really nice goal. Also for being effective on the outside, both left and right sides. Aside from a ballon shot into La Norte, he seems to have made a casr to play on the outside.

Jim - Moreno was voted man of the match. Ridiculous. Yes, he is 'the man' and played much better tonight and look much healthier than the last few weeks, but two PKs? Come on. Gallardo was an engine at both ends. I think Jaime would be more productive on goal is Emilio was benched and Niell brought on to open up space in the 18 for him.

Soehn did enough to keep his job, but some of his game management was curious, to say the least.

Posted by: Erick | April 27, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Erick |

Hmmmmmm, maybe the other guys can learn English - you know, "AWAY, KEEPER" that kind of thing. After all, they came to America to play Wells didn't go to Peru or Colombia, right?
Not to be confused with politics, just saying. Ovechkin learned English which is good since he is in an English speaking-based league.

Posted by: marksman | April 27, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

I had to google Bruno Tonioli only to find out that the only people who know who the hell he is have got to be homos...
Yo' Don't tell me this is Grotus again talking doo-doo and not leaving his handle cuz he's the only one who knows anything about Italian Coreographers.
What the hell is a coreographer?
I got to watch the UberClassico as well!
Lots of Goals.
Donovan is on fyaaaah.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 27, 2008 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pigman sweet | April 27, 2008 12:23 AM

___________________________________________

I don't know what the event was, but the tent was full of people during pre-game. They cleared out around the time of player announcements.

Posted by: Eire Bier | April 27, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Let's clear one thing up: it's not the language barrier that causes Wells to communicate poorly. There is quite a bit of confusion between him and Namoff as well. I wonder if the goalkeeper talks at all.

Posted by: black shirt | April 27, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

The tent -- flyer passed out after game says you can have a pre-game beer blast in the tent. 20 people or more, plus premium level seats. Personally, all the Bud or Miller I can drink is enuf to scare me off he idea.

Posted by: tents. get your tents here | April 27, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse