Matchday Primer

For the weather forecast between 7:30 and 9:30 at Estadio RFK, click here.

For a look at Luciano Emilio's problems, click here.

For a look at RSL's approach, click here and here.

For RFK qualifier news, click here.

For George Vecsey's wonderful column on the closure of a New York calcio hangout, click here.

The complete MLS fixture list:
RSL at DCU, 7:30 (Comcast SportsNet)
Kansas City at Toronto, 3:30
Houston at Columbus, 7:30
Colorado at Chicago, 8:30 (HDNet)
Chivas USA at L.A., 10:30 (FSC)
San Jose at N.Y., Sun., 3 (Telefutura)

For your early thoughts about today's matches -- here and overseas, where the English race has tightened -- head to the comments section.

Back later from the ballpark.....

By Steve Goff  |  April 26, 2008; 10:54 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bradley Speaks
Next: Matchday: DCU-RSL

Comments

first! let's go emilio, face the goal and score a couple for the lads!

Posted by: Andy | April 26, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Good game between Chelsea and Man. United, Chelsea deserved it but I really question if that was a handball for the penalty.

Not only are Fulham going out but Reading are also looking as if they are going down with B'city beating a LIverpool that could care less about having a competitive spirit and Bolton, just maybe, getting a point from Spurs.

Posted by: Red Devil | April 26, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

We're the first post club (first post club) We're the first post club (first post club)!!

Posted by: Kosh | April 26, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

AAAAANNNNDYYYY!!!!

Posted by: Kosh | April 26, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Birmingham having a meltdown and giving Reading a lifeline as well as Fulham, 2-2. And Fulham also comeback 2-2 vs ManCity, WOW.

Posted by: Red Devil | April 26, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

WOW!!!

Fulham from being 2-0 down are now leading at the death 3-2, Reading and Wigan draw and Birmingham drop 2 points. Fulham are still alive.!

Posted by: Red Devil | April 26, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Toronto v KC is at 3:30pm, not 7:30

Posted by: a fixture wrong on your list | April 26, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

fixed

thanks!

Posted by: Goff | April 26, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Big match for us tonight. I'm just worried about what will happen if Peralta or Martinez re-injure themselves in this match. With McTavish and Mediate out, we don't have anyone else with the experience to step in. Curtin? Pat Carroll?

Posted by: DCUMD | April 26, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm available.

Posted by: Mario Gori | April 26, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

If Peralta or Martinez need to come off for any reason, I'd expect to see Namoff slide into the middle, and Quevas Kirk get a run out at RWB.

Posted by: AlecW81 | April 26, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I use to live down the street from L'Angolo and watch a few games there. A shame it's closing.

Posted by: Nogra Rover | April 26, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff tell Vecsey to go to the 11th Street Bar in the East Village --- it'll be filled with Liverpool supporters when we beat Barca in Moscow

Posted by: Liverbird | April 26, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

So I want to take my mom to the game to night. Can't get tickets via the website or by phone. They should be available at the stadium, right?

Posted by: kat | April 26, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

that should be "tonight" not "to night"

Posted by: kat | April 26, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

You won't have problems buying tickets tonight, especially since it appears they're opening the upper bowl.

If we have an injury at center back, I'd actually expect to see Pat Carroll. I have a feeling our coaching staff sees Kirk as more of a midfielder than a defender. Just a hunch.

Self-indulgent grammar nerd moment: The SL Tribune article includes the word illustratious (though perhaps I should say "word" illustratious). I believe they meant to use illustrious, though perhaps the author was pointing out how similar our team is to a series of drawings.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 26, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Haha niiice, Kosh.

I'll be tuning into three MLS matches today:

KC 2 - TFC 1
DC 3 - RSL 2
CHV 2 - LA 2

I watch Toronto just for the crowds. Man, I can't wait to head to BMO for a United matchup...if I can even get tickets, that is...

Posted by: Andy | April 26, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Very sad about L'Angolo. I lived on Sullivan just south of Houston for several years, and still miss that place. It's boring to wax nostalgic about the way things were, but what has become of Manhattan, having been transformed from a functional, vital place to a sterile urban FunZone for the very wealthy and hellhole shopping mall for foreign tourists with euros and UK pounds to spend, is a damn shame.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 26, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"I watch Toronto just for the crowds."

I wonder what effect that will have on attendance today.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 26, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

America's Team (19th): vs Birmingham 5/3, at Portsmouth 5/11

Birmingham (18th): at America's Team 5/3, vs Blackburn 5/11

Bolton (16th): vs Sunderland 5/3, at Chelsea 5/11

Reading (17th): vs Tottenham 5/3, at Derby County 5/11

Fulham will probably need to win out -- AND hope for help -- to have a chance at staying up...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 26, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

That was mine, btw.

My NEXT question is, I'm in the sticks of rural southern Ohio at the moment...is there a good way to follow next weekend's Fulham-Birmingham match live online? I neeeeeed to make sure to watch that one...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 26, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Mastodon: the end stands are packed, but there are some gaps in the sideline seats. Overall I'd say about 18K-19K are in attendance. It's a great match so far...0-0, but Toronto has had some great chances and they're moving the ball around really well.

Amado Guevara looks great too. Bruce Arena, who for some reason is doing KC's commentary, said that if he kept playing the way he is today, he may be up for another MVP. WELL Bruce, I wouldn't go that far. Wait until he gets at least a couple goals, or even a few assists...

Posted by: Andy | April 26, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so Guevara scores...1-0 TFC. I knew I'd eat those words...

Posted by: Andy | April 26, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

can't seem to find the bob bradley interview on the website. is it up yet?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 26, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

And Guevara scores a beautiful free kick goal. All I'm saying is that Arena's comments were premature...and so were mine.

Posted by: Andy | April 26, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I have to turn the audio off just to watch the TFC game. Man, Bruce is soooo annoying

Posted by: Anonymous | April 26, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Man if I was the MLS commish, I would look to move Colombus and Dallas to Montreal and Vancouver ASAP.Toronto's crowd puts all MLS teams (besides DC and LA) to shame.

Posted by: MLs Fan | April 26, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

can't seem to find the bob bradley interview on the website. is it up yet?
=========================================

Isn't it the thread immediately preceding this one?

Posted by: tri-village | April 26, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

According to the Weather Channel site, RFK is within minutes of being rained on, and it could last until kickoff, give or take.

Posted by: tri-village | April 26, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse