Matchday Warm-Up

*Read about Devon McTavish's surprising scoring touch, his tour of almost every position on the pitch in college and MLS, and his battle with Crohn's disease.

*Portsmouth is going to the FA Cup final for the first time since 1939 after edging West Brom, 1-0. Pompey's opponent will be Barnsley or Cardiff City, who face each other Sunday.

*Two goals from Abby Wambach, one each by Lloyd, O'Reilly, Cheney and Heath lead the USA women into the semfinals of the CONCACAF Olympic women's qualifying tournament with a 6-0 victory over Jamaica. The Americans will face host Mexico tomorrow afternoon in their group finale and then likely play Costa Rica on Wednesday for a trip to the Summer Games in China.

*If you are headed to Estadio RFK this evening for United's home opener vs. Toronto (7:30, no regular TV), don't forget to donate a toy to benefit the Children's National Medical Center and The Children's Center. Donors will receive a buy-one-get-one-free ticket voucher to a future match. The drop-off points are outside Gate A and in the lobby of the club offices on the fourth floor.

Other MLS Matches
Colorado at Kansas City, 5 p.m. ET
Columbus at New York, 7:30 (FSC)
RSL at Chivas USA, 10:30 (HDNet)
Tomorrow
Dallas at Houston, 3 (Telefutura)

By Steve Goff  |  April 5, 2008; 10:27 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quick Update From RFK
Next: Matchday: DCU vs. TFC

Comments

A sold-out Mexican crowd of 22,000+ and a Mexican team that beat Jamaica 8-1 will be an interesting test for the women.

Posted by: sitruc | April 5, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Ya'll have fun now ya hear!
I'll have to miss this one all together.
At least I'll be able to watch a game on telefutura tommorow...
Vamos United!
Last call for any extra tickets?

Seee ya wednesday night.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 5, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Between Estadio RFK and the Verizon Center, riding Metrorail at about 9:30 p.m. should be an interesting experience. (I work near the latter venue, and I can tell you that a lot of Caps fans will be on the Orange Line heading toward Vienna.)

Posted by: tri-village | April 5, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Good to see Pompey in the final, but in a year of upsets I think Barnsley will take it.

Fullham are looking as if they will join Derby down to the Championship; very, very unfortunate.

Posted by: Red Devil | April 5, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

DCU players better come out tonight like they are shot out of a cannon, for the fodder here will be unbearable with anything less than a convincing win. Goffer - more stimulation needed with your forthcoming "en estadio" report.

Posted by: MR Caretaker | April 5, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I expect DCU to show more cohesiveness and win, not necessarily win with a bang. Hopefully Soehn has addressed the issue between the midfield and the strikers, specifically Gallardo and Emilio.

Posted by: Red Devil | April 5, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

0 days to the second home match.

See you there!

Posted by: Curious | April 5, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

How would Wombach fare in MLS?

Posted by: Steve | April 5, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Do you all think that teams from Jamaica have more relaxed drug-testing?

Posted by: Bob Marley | April 5, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

3-1 is my prediction. 2 from Emilio and 1 from Gallardo on a FK

Posted by: GoUnited | April 5, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I just read the list of MLS salaries. How embarrasing this list must be to the MLS!!!!! No wonder second tier players (Perkins, Noonan, etc.....) are leaving to play in 3rd rate leagues. The MLS needs to loosen up the reigns and let teams pay professional salaries to professional players! They are asking way too much of these atheletes for way too little pay. These senior minimum salaries should be for the reserve squad not starters of one of the best MLS franchises. MLS, please let the owners open up the checkbook not for the star players but for the full roster, which is way too small for a professional club anyway

Posted by: embarrased | April 5, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

calm down embarassed. MLS clubs have only started to become profitable within the last couple years. As more money flows into the league, more will flow out to the players. The salaries on the low end right now are comparable to other minor leagues in other sports.

Posted by: Steve | April 5, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

The league is becomming profitable because all of the teams are not owned by three groups of of owners. The new owners are trying to make a profit not use the league as a tax write-off. The MLS cannot afford another off season exedus of second tier players as the league plans more expansion in the next few seasons. The players need to be payed a professional salary

Posted by: embarrased | April 5, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Is the voucher not good for tonight's game? United's website is a little unclear. I am taking my son tonight and am planning on using a voucher for him.

Posted by: dr | April 5, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Abby Wambach is not bigger or more tenacious than MLS defenders, so her advantage would be lost. Also, she may not be faster than MLS forwards, so she would spend a lot of time on the bench. The men's game, even in MLS, is faster and tougher. If ever a female player could succeed in MLS, it would be as a goalie or, maybe, a holding midfielder.

Awaiting the angry responses in 5... 4.... 3...

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 5, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff,
Is it true you live in Reston?
-Restonian

Posted by: restonian | April 5, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Why should there be any angry responses? It is a simple matter of fact that none of the four hoops teams that will be featured on CBS (and on the Internet--thank you, CBS!) tonight would survive in the NBA. So what? Every competition has to be considered in its own context.

Speaking of which, this evening will be interesting from a multitasking standpoint for some of us. I will be in my office listening to Limarzi (and A Prairie Home Companion), watching the CBS online feed, following the Caps somehow, and also trying to get some real work done, given that I missed a deadline on Friday.

Posted by: tri-village | April 5, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

See what this blog does to us? Now tri-village has to work through the weekend since he blew Friday blogging on the Soccer Insider ;)

Posted by: ML | April 5, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if Direct Kick is free again this weekend?

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | April 5, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if Direct Kick is free again this weekend?

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | April 5, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

2...1...

Most of the women's fans here are pretty reasonable so I wouldn't be too afraid of angry responses, I-270, Exit 1. I look at the women's game as a different game as well. I can't imagine a successful female keeper. Most of the women are a step or a step and a half slower and can't cover the entire goal as easily. I can imagine problems controlling the box as well. Holding midfielder is an interesting position where one could potentially work although an attacking mid may be an easier role since speed can be used instead of trying to maintain with the body. Abby isn't slow compared to other women, but she definitely isn't fast. She uses her size and isn't afraid to sacrifice her body and doesn't back down from challenges. Unlike many players in MLS, she can finish though so that could potentially make things interesting.

Posted by: sitruc | April 5, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I hope Abby would turn down 33K per year and play overseas

Posted by: Dough-Girl | April 5, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Exodus?

A handful of guys left and more than a dozen new ones - including a few who have already made their mark - have filled the ranks.

You call the salaries embarassing. How can they be when not that many people are paying attention to MLS, which is the reason the salaries are still low.

Not everything has to be changed drastically right now. Slow and steady wins the race. And, remember, they are still working on a CBA that was negotiated when the league was still in the glow of contraction.

Patience.

Posted by: Brian | April 5, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

________
Anyone know if Direct Kick is free again this weekend?
________

The free preview of DK was for one day only in 2008, as far as i know.

if you missed it on 3/29, i think you'll have to pay for DK if you want it for the rest of the season.

Posted by: Get to the stadium | April 5, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Sitruc: PHC is rebroadcast on Sunday.

Everyone else: Because sitruc may listen to the rebroadcast, DO NOT POST ANY PHC SPOILERS!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 5, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I'm the one who mentioned PHC, which actually can be heard at all kinds of times over the Internet:

And I assume that Goff's dictum, that we need not worry about protecting people from spoilers on this blog, applies to public radio variety shows as well as football matches.

Posted by: tri-village | April 5, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

is there any way to watch tonights game on TV other than subsribing to Direct Kick? Comcast is my cable provider. thanks.

Posted by: Paul | April 5, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Paul,
No. Go to RFK!

I'm leaving now. See you all there!

Posted by: DCUMD | April 5, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I am almost there

Posted by: td | April 5, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Here's the weather forecast, for anyone who missed it when Goff posted it yesterday:

Which reminds me of yet one more piece of multitasking that I'll be doing on my office 'puter tonight: consulting the Doppler radar map for this area at the Weather Channel site.

Posted by: tri-village | April 5, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Brian, it's been 13 years how much time do they need to pay a man a real money to play professional soccer in this country!!!

Posted by: Exodus | April 5, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Sorry tri-village, I get you and sitruc mixed up. You both look alike to me :-)

Spoiler Alert:
In typical fashion at Powdermilk Park, the Lake Woebegone Norsemen led the Albert Lea Cornstalkers 1-0 until late in the second half when Sven, while trying to clear a loose ball in the 6-yard box put in his own net to tie the score. Deep into added time, another attempted clearance caromed off Sven's head and back into the goal.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 5, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Really, I-270, Exit 1? I haven't been working out.

Posted by: sitruc | April 5, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Mr. Goff, for spending a little time in your McTavish feature on his battle with Crohn's. It was interesting for me to hear how someone else deals with it. (If I'd seen the story before my first visit to the team store tonight and getting my jersey purchase customized with Simms 19, I might have picked McTavish instead. ... Nah, Simms deserves the respect for the tireless effort and always being there to cut off the attack.)

Posted by: tps | April 6, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse