Men's Olympic Draw Results

Peter Nowak and the Americans are grouped with the Netherlands, Nigeria and Japan.

Only the Japanese qualified for the previous Olympics, in 2004 in Greece, and did not advance out of group play. The Nigerians won gold in 1996 at the Atlanta Games and lost in the quarterfinals in 2000. The Americans' last appearance was in Australia eight years ago, when they beat Japan on penalty kicks in the quarterfinals and lost to Spain in the semis and Chile in the bronze-medal match. The Dutch, who have not played in the Olympics since 1952, qualified this time by going 2-0-1 in group play. Already assured a trip to China, they defeated England in the tournament semifinals, 13-12, on penalty kicks (read about it here) and thumped Serbia, 4-1, in the final.

Other groups:

*Argentina, Ivory Coast, Serbia, Australia.
*Brazil, Belgium, China, New Zealand.
*Italy, Cameroon, South Korea, Honduras.

As you know, this is an under-23 tournament, though each team is permitted to add three overage players.

By Steve Goff  |  April 20, 2008; 7:55 AM ET
Categories:  Olympics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Women's Olympic Draw Results
Next: The Real Deal

Comments

Should be a good test of where our boys are.

I doubt we'd win the group but finish second is definitely attainable.

Posted by: Matthai | April 20, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

given the u-23 format, prior results or even current NT results mean little. according to the above post, the Dutch seem to have their act together. the Argentines are bringing a side that could compete against most full national sides. anyone know anything about the relative strength of any of the other sides? is our dear italian-american suiting up for the azzuri?

my picks for the three overage players: Donovan, Dempsey, Onweyu. We have a good enough keeper to go with field players. If Beasley were healthy I would have left off Dempsey.

Posted by: troy | April 20, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

The full national team has a World Cup qualifier during the Olympics at Guatemala. So expect the overage players for the Oly squad to be chosen very carefully. My guess is McBride will be one of them. Maybe Conrad as well.

Posted by: Goff | April 20, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

A ggod draw. The US will be forced to take all the combatants seriously. Could be fun.

On another note, DC United is now officially bottom of MLS after 4 weeks of play.

That's just swell..

Posted by: A Rickey | April 20, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Nowak would pick an overage GK as well.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 20, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

As you note Rickey, DCU are bottom of the East. Worse they look like they should be there.

Posted by: Nick from Big Soccer | April 20, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Darn rain washed out my soccer!

Holland has a lot of good young players (see linked article) but will they be available after Euro2008?

The US got a manageable but not easy draw. Avoiding Argentina and Brazil probably helps our prospects...

Posted by: garbaggio | April 20, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Brazil always gets the easy draw: China and New Zealand... What a joke.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 20, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

When does Nowak have to name the full squad? What's the likelihood that European players (Bradley, Spector, etc) will be able to play?

Posted by: Amanda | April 20, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I highly doubt that Ryan Babel plays for the Netherlands if he is called for Euro '08. No way Liverpool would release him for two tournaments. The Netherlands is still loaded, and qualifying this group is going to be difficult.

Posted by: Chase | April 20, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

>>>>>>>>>

Babel won't play in the Olympics as he will be on the Euro 2008 team. Holland doesn't need him as their under 23 team is loaded with quality. The one question is what three over 23s will be picked to supplement this team. The little Oranje are one of the Olympic favorites.

Posted by: Orange14 | April 20, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

hadn't thought about mcbride...I had taken his retirement from int'l soccer seriously, but I suppose one never says never.

I don't take Guate lightly -- I used to live there and am still surprised that the local talent hasn't done much outside of the borders -- but I say make the Olympic side as strong as you can, even if it means a weaker side for the one WC qualifier (it would only be the one qualifier in conflict with Olympics, right?). This opinion is, of course, one of the reasons I am a fan and not a coach.

Posted by: troy | April 20, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

so anyway, how about McBride, Bocanegra, and Onweyu as our three overage? In the qualifiers our defense was suspect and we have a lot of good young midfielders. McBride can pair with Altidore up top, with Adu as CAM.

Posted by: troy | April 20, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

The McBride rumor come from Ives, claiming that Novak has already had discussion with him about coming into the team as one of the overrage selections. McBride is apparently highly interested in joining the team.

Posted by: Jimmy | April 20, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nick from Big Soccer | April 20, 2008 10:32 AM
========================================

Interestingly, Houston is bringing up the rear in its division, too. Is the Dynamo also a victim of early season fixture congestion, or is there something more?

Posted by: tri-village | April 20, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | April 20, 2008 6:04 PM

Why does this surprise anybody? One day, teams will be deep enough to handle all this stuff coming at them in the first month of the season, but it ain't today. The Dynamo will be on top again soon, and so will DC.

I only wish that either of those teams had managed to win through to the Cup finals and thereby justify all this suffering.

Posted by: viv | April 20, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

As far as the three "overage" players are concerned: they better not be any significant MLS players (i.e. Donovan or Guzan). They're too important to their respective MLS sides and MLS is in full swing during the summer. Choose European players who don't have regular seasons to worry about.

My picks: McBride, Dempsey and Howard.

Posted by: MemRook | April 20, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

scratch my picks: I don't know why I chose Dempsey at first. We don't need him in the Olympics. We need Onyewu or someone likened to him, Dolo or Boca.

So my picks are: McBride, Onyewu and Dolo OR Boca.

Posted by: MemRook | April 20, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

So my picks are: McBride, Onyewu and Dolo OR Boca.

Posted by: MemRook | April 20, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

So my picks are: McBride, Onyewu and Dolo OR Boca.

Posted by: MemRook | April 20, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

So my picks are: McBride, Onyewu and Dolo OR Boca.

Posted by: MemRook | April 20, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

wow, sorry for the gagillion-post. I don't know wtf happened there. Apologies.

Posted by: MemRook | April 20, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

who cares about olympic futebol..send the some college allstars...

Posted by: mizage | April 21, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully Holland ignores the olympics and focuses on Euro. Brazil's group is a laugher, they might as well have them play table soccer for the first round. Of age additions Robbie Rogers, Benny Felhaber, Arturo Alvarez,Cory Ashe, Michael Bradley, and Lee Ngyugen.
Overage picks, Kenny Cooper, Guzan, Cory Gibbs

Posted by: Guru | April 21, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

=========================================

With all of these additions, there would have to be a lot of "subtractions". Because the 22-player roster will contain three senior players, at least one of the players from the qualifying tournament must be dropped, even without any additions. Who are the half-dozen or so players whom you wish to see replaced?

Posted by: tri-village | April 21, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse