MLS Salaries Are Here

I offer you the complete list. Not every player is included; the paperwork on some contracts has not been finalized (i.e. Lopez in K.C.).

Highlights:

Simms $ 57,750; $59,000
Stratford $17,700; $17,700
Thorpe $12,900; $12,900
Wells $52,920.00; $52,920

By Steve Goff  |  April 3, 2008; 6:13 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: That's the Ticket
Next: He Makes How Much?

Comments

Great info Goff! Any idea how much cap room (if any) DC has?

Posted by: Rick in Ashburn | April 3, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Any news on Burch's salary?

Also missing are Barlow and Murphy whom may have signed too late to be on the list and would presumably get the bare minimum.

Quavas Kirk shows why it's good to have one of those Generation Adidas deals.

Posted by: garbaggio | April 3, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

So, Santino REALLY wanted to play for DC United.

Of course, it's not really that surprising that other teams offered him more money than that!

Posted by: TCompton | April 3, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

geez, can we trade Gallardo for Angel....like right now!! Also, at the the rates you posted, I'd rather have Gomez serving balls into Angel.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Whoops. Sorry I see your introductory paragraph explains why some newer players aren't listed...

Posted by: garbaggio | April 3, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Tino's only guaranteed $35K!!??!! I'd love to see his incentive package. It must be a doozy! Obviously, he wants to be with the team. He took one heck of a pay cut, but I guess $35K is better than not playing the game at all. I'm sure he could find a "regular" job making 35K.

Posted by: Beaker | April 3, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I REALLY need to hire Reyna's agent...

Posted by: Eric B | April 3, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Those numbers for Reyna are astonishing. Bruce Arena should be tarred and feathered. Actually, he just should have known better.

Posted by: Doug | April 3, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Burch and Barlow added (my bad)

Posted by: Goff | April 3, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo $1.9 million

The other 24 guys $2.3 million

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Forget Gallardo. Kirk is getting 100 K to ride the pine.

Posted by: delantero | April 3, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo $1.9 million

The other 24 guys $2.3 million

Posted by: | April 3, 2008 07:03 PM

Apparently Alex Rodriguez makes more than the entire Florida Marlins team combined.

I think McTavish is getting robbed here considering Quavas's $100,000 and Niell's $150,000.

Does Donovan really have twice as much impact as Gomez?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow, McTavish and Burch are getting league minimum for all of the playing time they've had in the last year?!? 33k for Mediate and 35K for Quaranta make much more sense, but I'm suprised they haven't sweetened the contracts of the young starters a little to keep them motivated and ensure that they stick around longer.

They really must do it for the love of the game, because even the journeymen aren't making very much for such a short career.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | April 3, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Namoff, Simms, Dyachenko and McTavish all did clinics for my son's team a year or so back. While I'm pleased to see Namoff at a living wage, Simms is grossly underpaid, McTavish underpaid, and I just wish Rod could get more, he was a great guy...

Posted by: JkR | April 3, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Kirk getting paid $100k+ and he's on the bench while McTavish is the starting right wing. Why doesn't Soehn want to play Kirk, even as a sub?

From how I've seen him perform in the past, he could have definitely helped vs. Pachuca on Tuesday.

Posted by: Eugene | April 3, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Why doesn't Soehn want to play Kirk, even as a sub?
==================

He's saving his Q for a triple letter score.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

And now it devolves into why high-priced player X should earn his keep over respectable and underpaid player Y.

Posted by: Jason | April 3, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Reyna. Ay yay yay. Highway robbery.

Posted by: Golazo | April 3, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Forget Gallardo. Kirk is getting 100 K to ride the pine.

_________________________________________

That immediately jumped out at me. And two guys who make 33k get to play, although one of them had some serious contribution to DC making it into the semi's.

Posted by: peridigm | April 3, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure someone knows...
the 17,700 that Stratford and Moose are making, are they dev. or senior contracts? The 12,900 is obviously the dev min, but, perhaps stupid question, can dev contracts be more? If senior, what's the min for senior contracts? Thanks!

Posted by: Moteus | April 3, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Does Donovan really have twice as much impact as Gomez?

Posted by: | April 3, 2008 07:07 PM
_____________________________________________

See the thing is, Gomez is 33 and donny is 25-26?? With that said, with gomez's play still going strong, he could keep playing well into his 30s!

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | April 3, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

does the base or the guaranteed number count against the cap? it must be the base or else some teams are way higher than 2.18 million, which Mo johnston said was the cap number on Toronto radio yesterday.

Posted by: satan | April 3, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

With some of these guys getting just over $12K a year I'm surprised they're still playing. And the guys making just over $30K to play I don't understand how any of these can live off those salaries. Is it any wonder the best athletes in this country would rather play another sport.

Posted by: Javier | April 3, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff,

Which figure counts towards salary cap .... base or guaranteed?

Posted by: MLS Fan | April 3, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

You also have to remember that Kirk's salary is Generation Addidas and does not count against the salary cap.

Posted by: strago | April 3, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

how does Schelotto make 425K when that would put him into "DP" range? The strange ways of MLS.....

we shouldn't even care anymore about the exact numbers of the cap listed in these reports, because there are clearly other rules we don't know that reduce how these numbers affect the cap.

Posted by: hendrix | April 3, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Many of the players making $33k are doing so by choice. In other words, they would rather play a year at a league min salary and negotiate a contract after the league's collective bargaining agreement than negotiate a new contract 1 year prior to the cba. I would imagine this is the case with some of the young starters mentioned. This, also, would be in the best interest of the agents advising these players.

Posted by: daniel | April 3, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

kirk doesnt count against the cap at all he is a adidas player. seek first to understand please

Posted by: chris | April 3, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching MLS on ESPN2 now? Love that Staples printer cartridge ad.

Posted by: FC | April 3, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Gomez seems like a more cost efficient player

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

those salaries arent totally true also they do get supplemental income for all of the different appearences they make throughout the year. i was talking to brad north about that last year at meet the team

Posted by: chris | April 3, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

This game is insane (Chicago vs. NE)

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 3, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

This game is insane (Chicago vs. NE)

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 3, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching MLS on ESPN2 now? Love that Staples printer cartridge ad.

Posted by: FC | April 3, 2008 08:23 PM ============

that's about 3 years old. Still funny though and I watch too much TV.

Barret scores in the 4th
Laurentowicz sent off in the 8th

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 3, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

This game is insane (Chicago vs. NE)

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 3, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Under terms of their contract, players must make a certain number of appearances on behalf of the team. They are not paid extra for them. However, they can earn extra cash for additional appearances, working at camps, etc.

As I recall, base salary counts toward the cap. But folks, do not attempt to calculate a club's salary cap space based on these numbers. There are many variables involved when it comes to the cap.

Posted by: Goff | April 3, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Pretty amazing to see Reyna and Angel both making more than Donovan. I know which of the three I'd rather have on my team.

One thing I took from that list is that some of these guys really have a passion for what they're doing to work for those salaries. I have total respect for that. I hope it pays off for them in the long run.

Posted by: jva | April 3, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I like the Ben Olsen Dick's sporting goods ad.

Posted by: owendylan | April 3, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching MLS on ESPN2 now? Love that Staples printer cartridge ad.

Posted by: FC | April 3, 2008 08:23 PM ============

that's about 3 years old. Still funny though and I watch too much TV.

Barret scores in the 4th
Laurentowicz sent off in the 8th

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 3, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

I have young children. I can't let them watch this massacre.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 3, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of massacre, check out ll the fighting at the end of the Caps game

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Maryland's Stephen King came on at halftime for Chicago - replacing Frankowski. Seems to be playing right mid early in the 2nd half.

Posted by: garbaggio | April 3, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

The game might be out of reach, but there are still some great chances on both sides...

Posted by: RK | April 3, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

It's about time someone gave a Rev player a red card in the first 10 minutes of a game. It's their MO to give a red-card quality foul in the first 10 minutes and get away with it because MLS refs "don't want to effect the game"

Posted by: Rich C | April 3, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Chicago's pitch is pristine. Nice looking crowd for a freezing rainy Thursday too boot. I must say, Blanco is worth every penny.

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | April 3, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Anyway, good for Gallardo... if a team wants to pay him that much, good for him.

Posted by: dan | April 3, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Way early to judge Gallardo's value but let's face it...he aint Veron.

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | April 3, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

That Chicago game is interesting. I don't think the ref could have done a better job for the Fire if somebody paid him to do so...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

What about Niell? Seriously all he does is run in a circle and fall over garden nomes...oh wait he is a garden nome...can we get a freaking striker for the future? I say bag the SOuth American pipeline for awhile and think about Africa, some real potential coming from there.

Posted by: MO | April 3, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________________

I would like to see us go the bank on a Mexican striker and waive Niell. The kid has hart but he is about as comfortable on the ball as I am.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Most underpaid- Simms
Most overpaid- Niell- stay on your feet!

Posted by: mike | April 3, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Off topic but, I just saw the new Dick's Sporting good commercial with Ben Olsen. Hilarious! I love the "you're in troble boy" bit! Also noticed all his soccer shots were headers. Funny commercial!

Posted by: T. Henry | April 3, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Mountaineer Pride took the words right out of my mouth about Blanco.
NE was a man down and all but Blanco is a freakish ugly man that keeps growing on me, with his I dare say it "party Pieces"
Mexican Phantom of the Opera!
I would imagine we would have seen a lot more whine and cheese had Chicago not handed the Revs their own arses in the first half, but #10 for the fire looks right.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 3, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

who knew? Ben's an actor! More importantly, who's the girl?

Posted by: tim | April 3, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

SJ vs LA
youd think the Beatles were hitting the stage when Becks took the corner.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 3, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I love how I posted Gallardo's salary in the United Pachuca Video blog entry and got heat for questioning the signing. I made the arguement regarding the jump in Gomez to Gallardo's salary not likely to be proportional to the increase in quality of play.

Gomez at that price is a steal. The big issue was the 3rd year on his contract. Seriously, if we are still paying Moreno this much, was the 3rd year that big of a deal???

PROVE ME WRONG GALLARDO!

Posted by: N. Daknow | April 3, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Apparently david beckhams first goal in MLS.
The free kick that went in last year against DCU was some super liga stuff hunh?
Oh Yeah...

Posted by: Dadryan | April 3, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who aren't watching, San Jose scored a goal that the ref brought back as offsides andDavid Beckham scored a goal that should have been called offsides.

Posted by: The Fix is In | April 3, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I think this is more like the Galaxy we'll see all year. Playing well enough, but not great on a leaguewide standard. On the other hand though, not getting plastered 4-0.

Posted by: Logan Circle | April 3, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

huh beckham wasn't offside, not by a mile.

becks was super-excited to score, you gotta love the guy.

Posted by: golfstrom | April 3, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

He's my little special sumthin.

Posted by: Logan Circle | April 3, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

That Brazilian midget just screamed like a fat lady dropping her ice cream.

Posted by: Logan Circle | April 3, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Becksypoo to Landycakes for a nice little pairing and a chip in, 2-0 Galaxy

Posted by: Logan Circle | April 3, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Beckham just DRILLed a free kick that nailed the brazilian midget with such pace that he can't even redirect it. Hilarious.

Posted by: Logan Circle | April 3, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Halftime, Galaxy up 2-0 on great halves from Landy and Becks. The rookies are holding together well. Quakes look like they're still getting to know one another. Conservative football from them.

Posted by: Logan Circle | April 3, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

The salaries raise a chance for me to ask a question -- I could save it for the next online chat, but....

Who pays the salary of a DP? I understood it to be that the team pays the portion that counts against the cap -- I guess that's $450,000 now? And the league pays the rest? Can that be right? That makes no sense to me. What is the control on the salary in the negotiations? The team would have no disincentive that would keep them from agreeing to a player's wildest salary demand. Does the league have some final say? Or, is the team still responsible for the total salary?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 3, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm fairly sure that the team is on the line for the full salary, but the 450,000 counts against the cap. That's why there was talk of MacFarlane proving his commitment financially by laying out for Gallardo.

Posted by: Logan Circle | April 3, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

im not sure but i know the mls owns all of the contracts

Posted by: chris | April 3, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

I thought Moreno was taking a salary reduction this year?

Posted by: Matt | April 4, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

I love DCU but I have to question their judgement. There is some debate as to whether Gallardo will be better than Gomez, but there is certainly no debate that Gallardo is worth 4X more than Gomez.

honestly, I miss Christian. For someone that did so much for DCU I think we all deserve an explanation for what happened this off season. Veron is one thing, but Gallardo???

Niell for 100k+ is also a mistake

Posted by: diego r. | April 4, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

League pays the salary for the portion that counts towards the cap. DP portion of salary is paid by the team.

Posted by: N. Daknow | April 4, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

RSL= Most Over payed team

Posted by: The Jim | April 4, 2008 1:53 AM | Report abuse

"gallardo: 1.9 mil ?!?! DC should have paid what Gomez was asking... with gallardo you are definitely not getting that much better of a player."

Yeah, this seems to be the story. Now it's up to the Doll to prove that he was worth the upgrade.

Posted by: Joe S. | April 4, 2008 3:31 AM | Report abuse

Gallardo-1.5M -3 games-0- Goals
Kirk- 136,500 -3 games - not on field
Niell- 152,000-3 games- 0 Goals
McTavish-33K-- 3 games- 3 goals
Priceless !!

Posted by: Mike | April 4, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Say... minor thing, but the article this morning said the Gallardo earns $1.87 mil and the rest of the team $2.3. I don't know if I've seen definitive numbers, but I thought that $400k of Gallardo's salary was counted against the cap (which is $2.3 mil?), making the rest of the salary $1.9 mil. Was the math in the article wrong? Am I wrong on something?

I appreciate you going through the salary list, so I don't have to! :)

Posted by: Arlington, VA S | April 4, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I know it's been said a million times but..

HOW DO THESE GUYS LEAVE OFF OF THAT!?!

My God...

Posted by: Dougg | April 4, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

The very low earners (young/unproven players how are playing for the love of the game) live off of other supplemental income (soccer camps, part-time jobs coaching or doing mortgage management).

As for Kirk, since he is Generation Adidas, I don't think his salary counts against the cap (but I may have that MLS "rule" not quite right).

Posted by: What it takes | April 4, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

If I went to college or had a GED I would really have to LOVE LOVE LOVE soccer to agree to be paid $12,900! I don't know what the poverty line is but that has got to be close. There must be some serious incentives or these players come from affluent backgrounds. I understand the player's union's contract or whatever but as an employer you have to be embarassed to offer an adult $12,900 for any job!

Posted by: John | April 4, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

ok, $12,900 sucks, but if you are 23 or 24 years old with a BA degree (or less), is $33,000 a year a bad salary?

Do 23 or 24 year olds with a BA degree working in washington DC (say at a non-profit or on the Hill etc.) make salaries that are significantly higher than $33,000?

Now factor in a professional soccer player "works" maybe 3-4 hours a day, has winters off...ok, so the travel and working on the weekend sucks, but honestly, if you were a recent college grad with a BA degree (or less) won't you be happy to make $33,000 and be doing something you love.

Posted by: Salaries | April 4, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I feel like someone should go all Sally Struthers on this:

(start weepy)
Ladies and gentleman, you can help. You can make a difference in someone's life. When you're out at a restaurant, a Burger King or Subway, if you see an American United player, please pick up the check, buy them a dessert, something. Please help those who work so hard for so little for you.

Can't you give just a little.
(end weepy)

Cherish these days. When MLS gets bigger we'll be looking back at this time when players sacrificed for the love of the game rather than whined for the paycheck (for reference see NFL, MLB, NBA).

Posted by: DCU-ATL | April 4, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Minimum Wage is $5.85 per hour. 40 hours per week during 52 weeks per year equals $12,168.

Posted by: David | April 4, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Making 33k in DC is rough on anyone but factor in any game or practice a guy could have his knee blown out forever and 33k or less is pretty hard to swallow. Sure they love the game but it's pretty rigorous on the body especially knees, groins,hammies and ankles(just ask Ben). And we ask why Perkins left to Norway to play in the icebelt or Gomez demanded 325k+? mls has a long way to go as does US futbol in general, we'll get there let's just hope all the young talent does not leave (Jozy et al)

Posted by: glove | April 4, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

So much for Moreno taking a pay cut; looks like he's making more in base salary this year than last. Arf?

Posted by: xox | April 5, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

How embarrasing this list must be to the MLS!!!!! No wonder second tier players (Perkins, Noonan, etc.....) are leaving to play in 3rd rate leagues. The MLS needs to loosen up the reigns and let teams pay professional salaries to professional players! They are asking way too much of these atheletes for way too little pay. These senior minimum salaries should be for the reserve squad not starters of one of the best MLS franchises. MLS, please let the owners open up the checkbook not for the star players but for the full roster, which is way too small for a professional club anyway

Posted by: embarrased | April 5, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse