MLS's African Pipeline

Super agent Patrick McCabe, who has strong ties to the African player market, was spotted at D.C. United training this morning. He was not accompanied by any players, but he did share this with me:

He is headed to Senegal and Gambia in June on a scouting mission with representatives from Toronto, Los Angeles, Chicago and possibly DCU. They will visit several clubs and also attend a Gambian under-20 match.

The trip has been in the works for quite a while, but the success of New England's young Gambians early this season helped build momentum.

By Steve Goff  |  April 25, 2008; 3:38 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eddie on eBay
Next: USA-Cuba at RFK

Comments

I hope Mansally has a brother for DCU. That guy is really good.

Posted by: Mysterian | April 25, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Maybe DCU can find the next Drogba, Eto'o, Milla, etc...

Posted by: Bethesda, MD | April 25, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Its about time MLS starts sending more scouts to Africa. I'd even consider sending a few to countries like Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon and Ivory Coast. Just becasue the "best" talent has already been picked over by Europe doesn't mean that the rest of the players from those places are just chopped liver.

Look at the talent MLS has mined from South America (hell look at what DC United alone has done) which hasn't always been deemed Euro class but is plenty good for this league.

I don't think MLS needs to only go to unheralded countries like Gambia and Liberia to find diamonds in the rough. Good finds can be made even in the more well known teams/leagues.

I also wish MLS made some plays for some Koreans and Japanese (maybe Chinese) players. The more global the pipeline of talent becomes for MLS the more it will move up the ranks in stature amongst the other leagues.

Posted by: Matthai | April 25, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I am a talented soccer player from, Nigeria. I want to play in the Major League of American Soccer. The government will allow me emigration from the country if I show that I have funds in a bank of the United States.

My deceased father worked for an oil company and managed to secure twenty millions of American dollars. I will deposit these funds in your account.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | April 25, 2008 4:13 PM

Good Play! LMAO

Posted by: lol | April 25, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh, bless your heart. Let me get your email and I'll send you my routing number and account info...

Posted by: Raleigh Times | April 25, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Well played by our Nigerian friend.

Posted by: sitruc | April 25, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I am a highly talented fotballer from, Cameroon. I is my dream to play in the Major League of American Soccer. However the only way the government will allow me emigration from the country is if I show that I have funds in a U.S. bank.

My deceased uncle worked for the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (N.N.P.C.) and managed to secure fifteen millions of American dollars (US$15,000,000.00). I would like you to deposit these funds in your account. Once I have signed a football contract to play in the Major League of American Soccer, you may keep sixty per cent (60%) of the funds.

I await your contact.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I am highly talented fotballer from, Vietnam. I is my dream to play in the Major League of American Soccer. However the only way the government will allow me emigration from the country is if I show that I have funds in a U.S. bank.

My deceased great served with the National Front for the Liberation of South Vietnam and managed to secure six millions of American dollars (US$6,000,000.00). I would like you to deposit these funds in your account. Once I have signed a football contract to play in the Major League of American Soccer, you may keep sixty per cent (85%) of the funds.

I await your contact.

Posted by: ERICK | April 25, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Wait... are you guys saying those emails aren't (gulp), true?

Oh man. Oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man.

How do you stop a withdrawal! Quick!

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 25, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Here is my bank account info:

000000010101011001010101010101010101010101010
010101010101001000101010101010000010101010101
010110101011111010101010101010101010101010101
010101010101010101010101010101010101011111010
000001111101010101010101010010101010101010111

You can read it if you know how to read binary.

Posted by: The Geek | April 25, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Dear Nigerian Soccer Star:

Thank you so much. I'd like to make a change in our arrangement though, could you please instruct your contact to send the American funds to my spiritual adviser, Mr. Steven Goff. He is not an attorney, but I have him handle all of my financial transactions.

Yours in football.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Funny stuff -- but the Vietnamese post reminds me that I was watching Asian Champions League play (maybe it was highlights -- it's all a blur now) -- and there was a goal scored by an African on the Vietnamese squad. He looked pretty good. Makes me think there's a LOT of African talent that is escaping European clutches for one reason or another. Personally, I think MLS would do better scouting in Africa than in South America. Sure, they are famous for their inability to play defense, but what the MLS needs right now is more speed and more goals. Excitement to put bodies in the stands and ratings on the telly. And, while we're at it, maybe we can convince them not to dive....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 25, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

And, I might add that if the African-American youth start seeing lots of black faces playing soccer here, instead of just suburban-raised whites and immigrant Latinos, we might start to see a higher-caliber athletes playing soccer here.

Thierry Henry's face on lots more billboards and TV ads wouldn't hurt the cause, either. C'mon over, Frenchy.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 25, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else watching WaPoLive for Goff and DaJo? I'm not reliable for watching WPL.

DavJoh
DaveJohn
I'm bored.
Anyone want to finish this work for me?
Yeah, I'm actually working.

Posted by: sitruc | April 25, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I got a cousin in the Raleigh/Durham triangle area into soccer when he was small. He became one of the best in the system he played in. When he got to high school he decided to be a kicker for the football team.

Posted by: sitruc | April 25, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I'll second Matthai's post. MLS scouts should have been looking at Africa more often years ago. Korean and Japanese players are probably more of a longshot (with roughly equivalent leagues in their home countries), but it does strike me as odd that no MLS team has ever had a Chinese player (especially the California teams).

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 25, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the DCU segment might be after the break if the Soulja Boy segment isn't first.

Posted by: sitruc | April 25, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I honestly believe that if MLS packaged these deals with a college scholarship should thier professional careers not take off, a move to America would be a much better proposition for young African players than to any other country, even to join the youth scheme at Real Madrid.

Posted by: Mark | April 25, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

USA vs Cuba Oct 11? at RFK?

Posted by: sitruc | April 25, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Goff on WP Live.
USA vs Cuba @ RFK in Oct!

Posted by: Dadryan | April 25, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Goff's source has been outed as Bob Bradley.

Posted by: sitruc | April 25, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Wise is on tape soliciting "14-year olds to fawn over." Somebody call the FBI and arrest him for the good of humanity.

Posted by: sitruc | April 25, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone so hype on Soulja Boy.
I sure hope soccer players don't start thinking they are rap icons...

Posted by: Dadryan | April 25, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

The Cleveland Cavaliers-Washington Wizards first round match-up is a story driven match-up. Cleveland is a good team led by LeBron James and the Wiz have been good even without their All-Star. The teams have had quite a bit of history in the playoffs the past few seasons. Deshawn Stevenson said King James was overrated. James didn't feel the need to dignify that comment and said it would be like Jay-Z addressing Soulja Boy. It has brought more attention and theater to the playoffs which is always good for the NBA. While Soulja Boy is a good promoter and is raking in a lot of money, few think he is good at anything outside of that. He was somewhat lucky to have produced a hit dance song and a funny track after that. Even he doesn't take himself seriously and that's why he'll forever have much much more money than me.

Posted by: sitruc | April 25, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Goff is this intentionally placed on World Malaria Day? Africa's among the worst hit places and one of the best things MLS has been doing is helping buy and distribute bed nets there. So look for talent in Africa but support the people left behind as well. And treat the young talent with respect, not as throwaways like so many unscrupulous agents in Europe have done.

Posted by: Modibo | April 25, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

MLS recruiting in Africa is long overdue. Would love to see additional coverage of this June trip.

Posted by: FC | April 25, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 25, 2008 5:25 PM
----------------------------------------------

I've raised this notion (looking for talent in Africa) time and again on this very blog (look back about a year ago or so), and Goff's repeated reply is that the costs (time + $$$ presumably) aren't worth it, since the Euro teams have picked over Africa already. I said it then, and I'll say it again, but that line of reasoning makes zero sense...

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 25, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

poaedz qafwt avqui obhea dfzwnbsl voslmtu uylq

Posted by: tdawgql rhamokwl | May 8, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

ojwcps vohsywc qrasdlwc jdhxv tvzna kwtoedghc uxfvecj http://www.scdv.rhuxd.com

Posted by: bgqjnz wrgdqxcp | May 8, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse