Moreno's Thoughts

Jaime Moreno, who has not played since injuring his hamstring early in the March 12 match at Harbour View, is hoping to play against Toronto FC this weekend.

"I will probably play one half," he said. "So far, maybe that is the idea. We'll see how it goes."

Was he prepared to play against Pachuca on Tuesday?

"Physically, no, I don't think I am 100 percent, but I had a little idea [because] Tommy [Soehn] told me that he didn't want to risk it in case I hurt myself worse. It's a little disappointing, but if that's best for the team, I am fine with that."

On the need for a victory Saturday after a pair of shutout losses: "I think it will be a great opportunity to come back from the first two games and show what we are all about and just show what this new team is about."

By Steve Goff  |  April 3, 2008; 12:33 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: All-Star Lame
Next: More From RFK

Comments

Yeah

Posted by: td | April 3, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Please give Jaime the start then sub him out for Niell.

Niell, despite his hustle, is clearly a change of pace, 2nd half, off the bench player. I think he'll be much more effective given tired legs of defenders.

Posted by: delantero | April 3, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree 100% with delantero about Niell. I think he would be really effective when the defenders are a bit tired or if they are pushed up a bit, not when they are bunkered. He's not a player that will beat 2 or 3 guys to the goal. He's probably not a guy who will score alot off set pieces. He's a guy who serves a roll against exposed/tired/stretched defenses. He'll score his goals this year, don't worry about that. "Just gotta know your role."

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Orejon please come back we need leadership on this team we have great players but it hasnt shown for anything yet

anyone can say im wrong but without Jaime this team is going nowere

Posted by: 135 | April 3, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Moreno's return will fill a BADLY needed role for us... the withdrawn forward who can hold the ball (he's the best in the league at holding, IMO) and who can be very effective in possession with passing & dribbling.

Posted by: jrnail23 | April 3, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts from the other thread:

Niell may not be the second coming of RDA, but he works to find space and the ball, can hold it and bring others into play. Kpene was not nearly as effective at this, and it's critical in our lineup. Emilio is not going to run at the goal with the ball and score. There must be a second forward who brings the other into the attack and Niell has shown that he at least understands that.

He does hit the ground, but he doesn't writhe and stay there. He gives the Ref an option to call it, but then he moves on.

Seems to me he might bang in a few this year, given a chance as the 3rd forward.

However, if he ends up starting more than 10-15 games, he is not suited to that, at least as far as I can tell. I hope to be wrong...

Posted by: JkR | April 3, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to Jaime's return. Agree about Niell.

Posted by: David | April 3, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Hamstrings take a long time to heal. I hope that Moreno is not pushing it. He ain't no spring chicken and healing takes longer than it did when he was 27.

I'd rather him be out for a few more games than come back too early.

Posted by: bribri | April 3, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I hope to see him rest it for the more important match -- Pachuca.

Posted by: RK | April 3, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

If you have to have O'Neil play one half and Jamie the other, I say start O'Neil. His pressure is well suited for if we're down in the second half, whereas Jamie's control is better suited for our time wasting at the game's end. Since I plan on our team being ahead of Toronto FC, I'd play O'Neil first.

Posted by: Glaucon | April 3, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Glaucon | April 3, 2008 03:10 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen may I present to you...Christian Miles :D

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Start Jaime, then put in Niell.
Shoot, start Dyachenko what would it hurt?

Posted by: Dadryan | April 3, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Who's O'Neil?

Posted by: Moteus | April 3, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

comment4, salary network engineer, [url="http://freewebtown.com/kpd63sme/salarynetworkengineer.html"]salary network engineer[/url], http://freewebtown.com/kpd63sme/salarynetworkengineer.html salary network engineer, 910912,

Posted by: Michael | April 4, 2008 6:06 AM | Report abuse