Morning Kickaround

*Beckham scores! Donovan scores! Kobe rejoices! All is well in Lalas-land.

*Ralston and Twellman down, Larentowicz sent off, Revs crushed.

*A moment of silence for Hrvoje Custic, a 24-year-old Croatian striker who died after crashing into a retaining wall during a NK Zadar match.

By Steve Goff  |  April 4, 2008; 8:49 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: He Makes How Much?
Next: Quick Update From RFK

Comments

condolences to Custic's family and friends.
going from comparing MLS salaries to Bike Mess Money, to thinking of the friends we've all had taken away too soon.
We don't forget.
What a morning.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 4, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

After seeing the video I'm amazed there haven't been more injuries (not deaths necessarily but at least maiming injuries) with those jersey barriers with steel poles so close to the field.

My condolenses to everyone at NK Zadar and his family. I feel bad for the guy who tackled him as well, just a freak accident.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

We don't forget.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 4, 2008 09:17 AM
==============================

Early morning, April 4
Shot rings out in the Memphis sky
Free at last, they took your life
They could not take your pride

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 4, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

A "Kobe" and a "Cobi" in the same venue last night.

Crazy things are happening.

Posted by: What's in a name | April 4, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Good call, 270.

"Let us dedicate ourselves to what the Greeks wrote so many years ago: to tame the savageness of man and make gentle the life of this world." RFK 4/4/68

Posted by: WNT fan | April 4, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Custic, 24, was going for the ball during Saturday's 1-0 home win over Cibalia Vinkovci when he slid off the pitch and hit the wall which was two metres from the touchline.

Two meters!!!

Posted by: RK | April 4, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Wow. I don't understand some of the posts here. I find the whole thing to be incredibly macabre, from the pictures of grieving friends and/or family to the declarations of not forgetting. This is a stunning tragedy. It seems so unlikely to ever be repeated, and yet the possibility that it might be repeated should cause stadium officials to think about taking measures to prevent that. Perhaps padding would make the difference. Perhaps future parks should be built with more room off the sidelines, even if that means every sits a few feet farther away. Theese aren't gladiators. They are young men playing a game. They put their bodies and health at risk, but their very lives? This isn't like losing MLK and it's not the biggest issue on anyone's plate, but this shouldn't be allowed to happen again.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 4, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

On a totally different tangent...

While watching last night's Quakes-Galaxy, I immediately thought of you guys here on SI when I saw the Dick's Sporting Goods commercial featuring Ben Olsen (with Brian Ching, Christian Gomez, and Duilio Davino).

It's not on their website yet, though, for those who may have missed it.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 4, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Ben Olsen is a superstar.
Who's the kid though?
I thought he was a sorta newly wed?
Also Off Topic but they continue the diss to DCU's MVP's on sports center.
ESPN can sure suck sometimes.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 4, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

it's just a kid actor in the commercial. but i believe i read that it's his real wife. wow, good looking.

Posted by: antonio | April 4, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Wow. How horrible. The video and music make for a powerful, well-done tribute. No one should be allowed to play at that stadium until the layout is fixed.

Posted by: David | April 4, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I jokingly sent a message to a few people on the West Coast last night.

Did you see the Galaxy almost look decent last night in a 2-0 victory over the "expansion" San Jose team...er...I mean, did you see Kobe Bryant with his wife and kid watching soccer at the Home Depot Center?"

Posted by: sitruc | April 4, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Ronaldinho out another 6 weeks -- and might not play for Barca again.

Posted by: RK | April 4, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Ronaldinho to DC United!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Fisch, what posts did you find inappropriate or disrespectful? Everything seemed in line to me...

This reminds me of the Greek basketball player that was so upset at a call, that he headbutted the cement holding up the basketball hoop, and broke his neck. Luckily, he was able to recover and walk again, but steps were taken to make sure that it wouldn't happen again (padding, no cement, etc).

Posted by: RK | April 4, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Hrvoje Custic.

It so sad to hear things like this. This clearly could have been prevented. Im Croatian too so I feel for him more. But these stadiums need to be fixed. I know they are old, the clubs are poor and the cities own most of the clubs/stadiums, but stuff like this can be easily avoided. My condolencses to the young man and his family.

Posted by: Daniel | April 4, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only person who sees some resemblance between Frank Yallop and Pia Sundhage?

Posted by: tri-village | April 4, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Watching the LA/SJ match all I could think is that Alan Gordon has to be the worst striker in the league...he should've had a hat-trick with the service from Becks and Landon!

Posted by: AJ Wood | April 4, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow, it's ironic this happened now, because I remember watching the Galaxy game last night and thinking "those ads are much further from the field than in other stadium, that's probably for the best. Someone could get hurt."

Posted by: Kevin | April 4, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | April 4, 2008 12:26 PM
===============

I guess so.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 4, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Horrible news about Hrvoje Custic. Unfortunately, I'd didn't get through the video because that Babybird track is one of my least favorite songs of all time.

Posted by: Jamie Z. | April 5, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse