Morning Kickaround

Unless you stayed up very late last night, you missed the Mexico-China friendly out west. El Tri won, 1-0, on 19-year-old Cesar Villaluz's first-half goal before more than 56,000 at Qwest Field. The D.C. United-Real Madrid exhibition in 2006 is still the Seattle attendance record-holder at 66,000-plus.

*Celtic is closing in on Rangers after a 2-1 victory. The winner was scored in added time by the player with perhaps the greatest name in world soccer, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink. Read the full account of the heated match here.

*Looks as if goal-starved San Jose is about to acquire former Rapids and Red Bulls forward Jean-Philippe Peguero on loan from Danish club Brondby. I hear Toronto was also pursuing Peguero, who suffered a serious knee injury last year.

*D.C. United Coach Tom Soehn, on trialist Francis Doe: "He has done pretty well. He's a pretty good finisher and I think the parts of his game I am happier about are holding the ball and being a presence up top and being able to link up with guys. So far he has been okay." The club will continue to evaluate the Liberian forward this week and probably make a decision over the weekend whether to offer him a senior roster contract.

*The links to today's DCU-Crew preview in the Washington Post and the transcript from my online chat yesterday.

*The Capital Weather Gang offers tonight's forecast at Estadio RFK.

*Tonight's match is on ESPN2. Coverage begins at 8 p.m. and kickoff, according to the ESPN folks, is scheduled for 8:08.

By Steve Goff  |  April 17, 2008; 9:22 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Formations and Transgressions
Next: Predictions, Anyone?

Comments

Finally...first.

Posted by: N. Daknow | April 17, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Now that the excitement of being first has subsided...does anyone remember anything about Doe? If you do, what player would you compare him to?

Posted by: N. Daknow | April 17, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Vennegoor of Hesselink is a great name. He's in competition wih Roberto Acquafresca of Cagliari and Tranquillo Barnetta of Bayer Leverkusen. Plus Junior Agogo and Vágner Love. An all name team?

Posted by: Fred | April 17, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

If you don't have a valid comment what the hell is the purpose of writing "first"? One of the dumbest things I have ever seen on the Innernet.

Moving on....

I hope Doe turns in a good performance is offered a contract. I'm all for adding firepower up top.

Posted by: voyager | April 17, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Voyager...I completely agree with you. It is the dumbest thing on the internet. As much as I complain about it...it was far too tempting. Hopefully now I got that out of my system.

I really do think our strikers are our weakest link.

I don't even consider Moreno a striker (100+ goals aside). He has a great touch and is a good distributor. Almost like an ACM.

Niell...nice goal against Pachuca...other than that has not done too much.

Quaranta...I'm excited about him but, like Moreno, he reminds me of a midfielder. And please...don't wait for the ball!!!

L Emilio...No comment!!!

Posted by: N. Daknow | April 17, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

As always at RFK, the forecast is 100% chance of beer showers.

Posted by: GUTuna | April 17, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: | April 17, 2008 9:42 AM
==============
:-), but the Pope is in America. Maybe Celtic plays better when he's not in Europe (less pressure).

Shouldn't it be Jan Vennegoor _van_ Hesselink? Regardless, I like the name.

--Exit 1 of I-270

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 17, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

As always at RFK, the forecast is 100% chance of beer showers.

Posted by: GUTuna | April 17, 2008 9:54 AM
--------------------------------------------

Forecasters are also predicting increasing likelihood of falling concrete as summer approaches.

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 17, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Doe? A deer?

San Jose should have grabbed Abe Thompson from Dallas while they had the chance.

Looking forward to tonight. DC United on ESPN2 and marinated chicken breast hot off the grill -- with some marinated veggies on the side. Capped off with a cold Sam Adams (the kids get Sprite). Don't let us down, Barra Brava -- I want to hear you in Haymarket with the TV volume turned DOWN!

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 17, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

If Doe can help knock Dyachenko down the list of people with a chance to get on the field then he is a good signing.

Posted by: Mr Obvious | April 17, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I will ignore any post by someone who posts "first"...we don't care.

Posted by: RK | April 17, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

"Shouldn't it be Jan Vennegoor _van_ Hesselink? Regardless, I like the name."

Apparently not. According to his wikipedia page, "of" means "or" in Dutch. Back in the day, two families of equal social status had a marriage and instead of picking one or the other, they just decided that the last name would be "Vennegoor or Hesselink."

Posted by: Tom | April 17, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't it be Jan Vennegoor _van_ Hesselink? Regardless, I like the name.

--Exit 1 of I-270

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 17, 2008 10:03 AM

The wiki entry on his name:

"His name - one of the longest in European football - derives from the 17th century, when two farming families in the Enschede area of the Netherlands intermarried. Both the Vennegoor and Hesselink names carried equal social weight, and so - rather than choose between them - they chose to use both. "Of" in Dutch translates to "or" in English, which would mean that a strict translation of his name would read 'Jan Vennegoor or Hesselink'.[2] This could be considered as having the same effect as the double-barrelling of English surnames."

Posted by: JkR | April 17, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Well played, Tom

Posted by: JkR | April 17, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Who was coaching Mexico?

Posted by: bbarrie | April 17, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

wow all that talk about Jan Venegoor's name when really we should be talking about Shunsuke Nakamura's nasty strike in the first half that gave Celtic a 1-0 lead. That ball has the craziest curve.

Posted by: wrc | April 17, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

RK...Ignore what you want. Considering you probably come here to get the latest news, and I have more inside sources than you will ever have...Ignore what you want.

Posted by: N. Daknow | April 17, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc you just gave me a great idea for dinner, man thanks!
Gotta go round up some coals.

Loved the handball to assist in the Mexico/ China game!
INteresting to see Qwest field Minus the gridiron.
I hope Seattle will get their stadium with real grass and a retractable roof someday. They should tear down the Key Arena since the Sups are leaving and put that thing right there!
It'd double as a sweet venue during Bumbershoot.
Vamos United!
Let us know about Martinez as soon as you know Goff?

Posted by: Dadryan. | April 17, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

DC United v Real Madrid in Seattle? When did that happen?

Posted by: Big Gamer | April 17, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

what's even dumber that saying "first", are those who complain about it!!

the true douchebag: "first" complainers!!!

Posted by: myt! | April 17, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

forgot to add:

twenty second!!!!

Posted by: myt! | April 17, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I hope RFK has their act together 'cuz I'm hungry!

Posted by: Sigi | April 17, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

C'mon, guys, Hug it Out...

Posted by: JkR | April 17, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for more firepower up front, and more competition for the striker position. Emilio could use a little more pressure from the bench, as could Niell, etc.

But Doe looks more like depth than competition. I don't know much about the guy, but that was *not* a ringing endorsement from Sohn: He's a "pretty good finisher" but Tommy's "happier about...holding the ball" and presence.

That sounds like stuff we don't really need so much. I'd like a trialist who is "hungry for goals" and "deadly on the attack" please!

Posted by: rke | April 17, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Look what I done started...lol.

Honestly RK, I apologize for starting this mess. Anyhow, let's get back to futbol.

Posted by: N. Daknow | April 17, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

DC United vs Real Madrid was August 9 2006, right?
Eskandarian with the goal.

Posted by: Dadryan. | April 17, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Daknow -- sorry, not directed at you, personally, but I just want it to stop. The funny thing is that you were joking :)

Posted by: RK | April 17, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Soccer America has an interesting report on the SSS situation in Houston; in particular, a recent letter from the league to Dynamo management:

SA's report on this correspondence is at:

Goff: Am I correct in believing that MLS is the true majority owner of all clubs, not MacFarlane or whomever? Theoretically the league could move or vaporize DCU, just as it moved the old 'Quakes to Houston and vaporized the Miami and Tampa Bay teams. I'm almost surprised that they are coming down so hard on the Dynamo, when United's stadium situation is, if anything, even worse.

Posted by: tri-village | April 17, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

DC United vs Real Madrid was August 9 2006, right?
Eskandarian with the goal.

Right you are, Dadryan.

Posted by: Smitty | April 17, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Dadryan,

There was no handball on the Mexico goal, Santana chested it down to Villaluz for the score.

Telemundo showed the replay about 7 or 8 times. :)

Posted by: Chris | April 17, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Mexico's game last night was at Key West field. I know that's correct because I heard Andres Cantor say it over and over.

The interim coach is Jesus "Chucho" Ramirez who has been the youth Nat coach for a number of years and led them to the U-17 World Cup title in Peru a couple years ago.

He's expected to coach the team through the summer, including their first WCQs vs Belize. Candidates supposedly under consideration are Vasco Aguirre (2002 coach now at Atl Madrid), Felipe Scolari, Marcelo Lippi, Jose Pekerman and maybe some others. Some think Chucho Ramirez could get the job if he does well and the coaching search doesn't pan out well.

Posted by: garbaggio | April 17, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

=========================================

Perhaps Bruce Arena should proclaim himself a serious candidate, just as he did with respect to the Scotland job a while back. And how about Steve Sampson?

Posted by: tri-village | April 17, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Eskandarian's goal in Seattle, including the build-up, was a sight to behold. Click here and scroll down to 08/09 for the video. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the initial pass to Freddy.

Thanks for the elucidation of Dutch surname nomenclature.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 17, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Looked like a little of his arm and chest, I saw the replays but it was a bit late and I had been trying on my beer goggles a little bit again...

Posted by: Dadryan. | April 17, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

SA's report on this correspondence is at:

Posted by: tri-village | April 17, 2008 11:09 AM

****************************************

I'm guessing someone at AEG wrote the letter and had the Don sign and send it.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc, if you're as close as Haymarket, you should be grilling those chicken breasts in Lot 8!!! It's a short trip down 66 :-)
We're heading from Leesburg around 2, already got the beer cooler packed!

We all laugh at a yellow football team, a yellow football team, a yellow football team ... :)

Very curious to see where DevonMcTavish.com starts tonight. It must be a tough transition from right mid to left center back if that's what they end up doing. It appears Peralta plays best when he is comfortable with the guy next to him.

Posted by: Lonnie | April 17, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing someone at AEG wrote the letter and had the Don sign and send it.
=========================================

That's entirely plausible. But that raises the question of whether they would ever pull a similar stunt that was targeted at Fenty.

Posted by: tri-village | April 17, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't it be Jan Vennegoor _van_ Hesselink? Regardless, I like the name.

--Exit 1 of I-270

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 17, 2008 10:03 AM

Actually, no. "Of" in Dutch means "or." So his name actually means Jan Vennegoor_or_Hesselink. He combined two estates and decided to use both names. True.

Posted by: Dutch Royalty, he is | April 17, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"Exit 1 or I-270" works fine. You either stay on the highway or take the exit ramp.

Posted by: tri-village | April 17, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

my apologies for the douchebaggery..

I heart ya'll! (unless you are a red bull's fan)

Posted by: myt! | April 17, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dutch Royalty, he is | April 17, 2008 11:34 AM
-------------
Oh? Ok, then, I'm going by Joe Doc_van_Brad Pitt.

Haymarket to Lot 8? As soon as I get that IRS rebate!

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 17, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

DC United v Real Madrid in Seattle? When did that happen?

Posted by: Big Gamer | April 17, 2008 10:43 AM

In the summer of 2006 noob.

Posted by: mad hats | April 17, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I thought Man Utd - Celtic in Seattle brought in 67,000+.

Posted by: Justin O | April 17, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

ESPN's been marketing tonight's game as "Columbus Crew take on DC United and reigning MVP Luciano Emilio."

For those of y'all who get ESPN en Espanol (which I don't), are they doing the same thing, or are they pushing the Gallardo-Schelotto angle?

Posted by: Juan-John | April 17, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bob F | April 17, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

LOL at bob F!

Posted by: JJH | April 17, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

first!!!!!

Posted by: ..... | April 17, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

ahhhhh stupid computer!!!

Posted by: ..... | April 17, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Exit 1 is always "first." - unless you're going the other way, in which case it's last, but then "the last shall be first," so I'm still always "first."

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 17, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of peculiar names...how about our own Santino Quaranta (Little Saint Forty) or the Colombian who plays in Mexico, Tresor Moreno (Brown Treasure).

Posted by: Far_away_Fred | April 17, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

So the Godfather of Soul (or at least the namesake thereof, the original being deceased) is on United's roster?

Posted by: tri-village | April 17, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 17, 2008 12:52 PM
-------------------------
"We'll know for the first time
If we're evil, or divine
We're the last in line..."

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 17, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Goff, I hate Mexico. Everyone hates Mexico. Why would you post that on here!

Come on United!

Posted by: Oh Susanna | April 17, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

oh susanna
thanks for your insight.

how was mexico not able to score more than one, china brought a young team that was way outmatched. the field looked hard to play on for both teams.

Posted by: Steve | April 17, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't have ESPN. Does anyone know a place online that is broadcasting the game?

Posted by: bristol | April 17, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse