Morning Kickaround

Let's play "Name That Team."

Here are your clues: Chase Hilgenbrinck, Amaechi Igwe, Gary Flood, Kheli Dube, Rob Valentino, Spencer Wadsworth, Brandon Tyler and Sam Brill.

The first three mysterious characters were starters on the road against unbeaten Dallas last night. The other no-names were available on the bench. That's right, the New England Revolution, which, despite the absence of six regulars because of injury and suspension, produced a 1-0 victory on Khano Smith's second-half goal. The Revs are now 11-4-1 all-time at Dallas.

All MLS Cup jokes aside, Steve Nicol is doing something awfully right in Foxborough.

For match highlights, click here. For a game report, click there.

Busy day ahead for your favorite blogger: DCU training at RFK, a Luciano Emilio story to write, Mr. Bob Bradley stops by The Post for a late-day chat (be sure to check back here tonight for details) and an appearance on Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live."

I leave you with.....

Copa Libertadores, Nacional 3, Cienciano 1 (two quality goals, one soft goal and one deflection):

By Steve Goff  |  April 25, 2008; 8:26 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maradona and Others
Next: Update From RFK

Comments

Mr. Goff, do you know if the US WNT will have any open training sessions when they come to town?

Posted by: WNT fan | April 25, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

In the days leading to the match, the USA women will train Tuesday-Thursday, probably at Georgetown, Friday at RFK. Not sure if the public is welcome. Can't imagine they'd scare you away.

Posted by: Goff | April 25, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Oh, Bob Bradley. He's dreamy.

Do you think you'll have time to ask him how he feels about MLS setting a schedule that conflicts with the Fifa Coordinated Match calendar? As a National Team coach, does he care if he calls in players (and that certainly is his job/duty/right) but those call-ups result in missed league games for those players.

Overall, I'd be interested to hear his thoughts on MLS, and now that he's been in the head coach role with the US team, how he feels the league does (or does not do) in it work to create and foster a useful player pool for the national team program.

Posted by: Bruce Arena | April 25, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Are you trying to say something about WNT fan, Goff?

//no, I'm not trying to begin a silly argument in the comments section

Posted by: sitruc | April 25, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Yes, fifa calendar will be a topic of discussion with bradley.

sitruc, not sure what you're getting at...

Posted by: Goff | April 25, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Check this story (ok, questionable source, I know...) about fans scuffling over a Beckham jersey:

Note the Lalas comment towards the end:

"My suggestion is that the judge get a pair of scissors, cut the thing in half and give half to each"

The *simple* solution for Lalas, one that would promote the sport and generate a lotta good will, is to *send another jersey* so that each kid would have one. Kinda helps to spread the brand, show compassion and enthusiasm for the fanbase, etc. But no, to Alexei, scissors are the answer....c'mon now!

Posted by: No way to promote the game or the players... | April 25, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Well, its pretty obvious "WNT fan" isn't in it for the quality of the soccer being played.

Posted by: M | April 25, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I got it sitruc ;)

I think if I left my trench coat and camera at home, and brought some of my girls team to Georgetown, security would leave me alone. If it's Thursday, we can head over to RFK afterwards and jeer Blanco on national TV. That would be a nice day.

Posted by: WNT fan | April 25, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Trenchcoat leave at home (unless it is raining). Camera bring (also unless it is raining).

Posted by: M | April 25, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Right M. Why would I want to encourage teenage female players to watch the best women players in the world train? Your comment is ignorant and moronic.

Posted by: WNT fan | April 25, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Was it really $1 Beer Night at the Suburban Pizza Last night?

Also, seeing FC Suburban Dallas' gate draw made me throw up when thinking about PG County. C'mon DC - STRIKE A DEAL!

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | April 25, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Who knew that Lalas could invoke the Book of Kings.

Posted by: Solomon | April 25, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

------
Yes, fifa calendar will be a topic of discussion with bradley.
------

The Fifa calendar is all well and good, in my opinion. The national teams, and national team coaches, can work within those dates and get things done, one would think.

The issue is MLS, and their failure to set a schedule that does not conflict with those known Fifa dates (when players are going to be away on international duty).

Yes, this may be more of a question for Garber or Gazidas, but I'd certainly like to know Bradley's current views on those conflicts (created by MLS) and if that is the type of topic that he and Gulati discuss with the MLS honchos.

Posted by: Soccer fan | April 25, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

WNT Fan: From what I've read, the WNT allows girls' teams and other spectators at training sessions - under past coaches anyway.

Lalas is truly a wise man for the ages - begin to cut the jersey in half. Whoever treasures it more will cede it rather than let it be destroyed (or does that just work with babies?)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 25, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WNT fan | April 25, 2008 9:29 AM

----------------

Wait, the Brasilian Women's team will be training with them? If not, then you won't be taking them to see "the best women players in the world" train. FIFA agress - Marta, Cristiane, and Prinz are "the best women players in the world."

Just sayin' - and moreso because you immediately leapt to calling M ignorant and moronic.

Posted by: DE | April 25, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

MMMMMmmm.
Dollar Beeeer Niighht...

Posted by: Dadryan | April 25, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Goff, Nicol is getting the job done, but does he have to bore us to death? That pathetic crowd didn't do much to spice things up either. Nice result for the Revs but I wish that that game was played on DK instead of national TV. Yes it was hot, but FCD's offense was slower than DC's. The Revs didn't even have to work hard or foul much to get back to position and play their usual bunker ball. As the saying goes, "a win's a win" (and I won't mind if we win a few ugly ones too), but I'd prefer we leave the high-def national broadcasts to teams that - have the fans to make a night of it, hate each other, or play beautiful soccer. Where stand you on this, Goff?

Posted by: Kosh | April 25, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Can you ask Super Bob Bradley where he thinks Mikey will end up next year? *cough* AC Milan *cough*

Posted by: Oh Susanna | April 25, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Some of you have emailed me about wild, unfounded rumors concerning Darren Huckaby coming to DCU. I asked Dave Kasper if he has any interest in, or been contacted about, the English winger. His answer: "No."

Posted by: Goff | April 25, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

------

That does not leave many options to fill 20 (??) Thursday night broadcasts.

Posted by: Goff | April 25, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Yes, the Revs won the game. But I was very impressed with FC Dallas last night. A bit unlucky last night, but I'm seeing them as a favorite in the West right now...no question.

Posted by: BK | April 25, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

For whatever they're worth, the current FIFA womens rankings are : 1. USA 2. Germany 3. Sweden 4. Brazil. But, whatever. If the Brazilians were in town, I'd love to watch them train too. For the quality of the play.

My comment was a reaction, perhaps a rash and unfair one, to my perception that M's comment was more of the same from another non-fan of the womens game. As has been said here so many times before, if you don't like the womens' game, just pass on by. Sorry if I harshed anyone's mellow.

Posted by: WNT fan | April 25, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

@Kosh

The problem with the Thursday Prime-Time games, especially early in the year are the conflicts with Hockey and NBA playoffs right now. (Both Mavericks and Stars still alive in Big D) It also doesn't help that Frisco is SO far away from downtown that I can't blame a lot of people for not taking the time to drive up there. I'm not blaming HSG for taking the deal they did with Frisco - but the 18-35 demographic with disposable income and time on a Thursday night, doesn't live in Frisco.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | April 25, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Every travel soccer team in the United States practices Thursday nights. Not a great night for MLS to play games.

Shame on me, though. Instead of watching Dallas-NE when I got home from practice, I viewed Mack in Alaska showing off F-16s, Stryker fighting vehicles and M4s on "Future Weapons."

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 25, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

not only that, but Thursday is also a school night this time of the year. I think having the 8 PM kickoff on a school night last week hurt our attendance a bit as well. 13K for DCU is not good.

Posted by: Glenn | April 25, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Wow. It hadn't been long enough since I had heard or seen "harshed anyone's mellow." I half expected to see the comment was by Diablo Cody and not WNT fan.

:-P

Posted by: sitruc | April 25, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Hey, can you ask Bob where the US will be training in England prior to the match (or are they?) Im going over for the week and would love to stop by and let them know they have some support. But, maybe they don't give out that info...

Anyway, Rev's coach is fantastic. DC United used to be like that under Arena.

Posted by: Hacksaw | April 25, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

WNT fan: Well put, all around. I'm luke warm on women's soccer, but I certainly admire your passion and knowledge of it as expressed on this blog over and over again.
Cheers.

Posted by: David | April 25, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Sure you can, Goff. You have the 4 Super Classicos, you have SJ in the mix (that's a decent hate), DCU is always a decent draw and garanteed atmosphere, Chi-town is getting there, you've got TFC...I am sure any combination of those could result in exciting matches and not snoozers. But I see your point.

Goff, along the lines of the Bradley talks, can you ask how successful he an Nowak were in recruiting that kid from Pachuca? (his name escapes me)

Posted by: Kosh | April 25, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I was at the Dallas game, the attendance was pretty avg for a game, which is to say about half full. The reasons/issues for attendance are numerous, even on Frisco Community Night, where they gave free tickets to all or most of the elementary schools kids they couldn't come close to filling the stadium. Maybe because the game kicked off at 7:30 and ended around 9, which is past probably 90% of the kids who they gave free tickets to. And it wasn't $1 beer night, they do $1 pregame then at kick-off its cut off.
Oh and Dallas dominated possession, but did nothing to generate scoring chances until 10 mins left. And Smith's goal should have been saved, and really that was the only time he beat Dax in a 50-50 challenge. Dems the breaks sometimes.

Posted by: Joseph in Dallas | April 25, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

@Kosh

Not to keep beating - but with other national television partners like FSC and Telefutura - ESPN doesn't always get first pick of games. So they couldn't do all the Clasicos and rivalry games. You also have to account for the scheduling issues that MLS faces as a tenant in some places.

It's difficult. It's not as easy as telling NBC Sunday Night football to pick the best game on the 14 day window.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | April 25, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I can't believe no one has mention that last goal by Nacional! Que Golazo is right! I lived in Uruguay for 2 years, y soy de penarol, but hey, I have to applaud some quality futbol.

Posted by: River City Kid | April 25, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

@Virgina Blue Blood

I know, I know, I do hear you and Goff, and I agree with what your saying, it's just that game left me really wanting for some excitement. I was pumped and did my pre-game ruitual and everything, and oh well.

@ Joseph in Dallas
As a live attendant, was tehre more to the communication issues between Cooper and Alvares? On TV it looked like they canceled each other out.

Posted by: Kosh | April 25, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Goff,
One big problem with United right now is our team speed. All of the practice and "gel" time is not going increase the speed. What does the team plan to do to address the problem?

Posted by: David | April 25, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Nicol is doing something right? Jeez, Goff, you really want to be a full time basketball reporter, 'cause displays like that will kill this league faster than anything. His teams bunker, they foul non stop, they're nothing but thuggish athletes with little to no skill, they couldn't put five passes together against traffic cones, it's all kick and rush and foul and fight, they just kill any game. Nicol and the New England Revolting are the scourge of football. In a real league, with real referees, they're Derby County.

Posted by: B-ball reporter | April 25, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Francis Doe is quick.

Posted by: Goff | April 25, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Posted by: David | April 25, 2008 11:07 AM

Get of the speed. It's a soccer game not a track meet. Speed didn't the U-S-A any good against the old and slow Czech Republic did it?

Posted by: Tweakin | April 25, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

DAMN!!! THat last goal that Nacional scored was SICK!!!!!!

That is classic south american team work right there with a beatiful backheel to finish it off!

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | April 25, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

--------

It won't kill the league. Grow up. They were missing SIX regulars on the road against an unbeaten team. Paraphrasing Herm Edwards, you play to win the game. On this one night, credit to Nicol for getting a result under very difficult circumstances.

Posted by: Goff | April 25, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Get off the speed. It's a soccer game not a track meet. Speed didn't the U-S-A any good against the old and slow Czech Republic did it?

Posted by: Tweakin | April 25, 2008 11:11 AM

Speed...Kills.

Posted by: Matthai | April 25, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Nicol knows what he is doing and to get a decent performance out of a bunch of no-names, well thats really still what our league is all about. Give him credit for finding guys who fit into his system. None of us like his system but Goff is right three points on the road puts them that much more in front of us at this still early phase of the season. It looks like parity is going to be the name of the MLS game this year.

Posted by: sbg | April 25, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@Kosh

Sorry - I don't want to make it sound like I'm lecturing you - just wanted to throw it out there that with other National Partners involved ESPN one can't take all the top matchups - otherwise the others wouldn't want in at all. FSC can hopefully take some of those top matchups and one day been on the regular tier of channels w/o needing me to shell out an extra $5/ month to Comcast (they're terrible btw).

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | April 25, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Did you bother to ask if Dave had given Joan Laporta a call to see about Thierry Henry?

I hear that he would love to get a place in Georgetown.

Kidding. A Gunners supporter can hope...

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | April 25, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey, did anyone catch the comment about Cooper training with a former US olympic sprinter? Would that be one who did, or didn't, get caught yet for using steriods (are there any left that didn't?)? The guy is huge and really fast... what is MLS' drug policy, anyway?

Posted by: Hacksaw | April 25, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

@Hacksaw,

MLS does random testing IIRC and it's a one and done policy.

I'm recalling this all from The Don's Capital Hill testimony from a few years agao.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | April 25, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

$1 beers before kickoff sounds great texas dude, if anything it shows the fans someone appreciates the money they do spend @ the match.
It sure would get me to a few more weeknight games this year if RFK was doing something like that.
I can drink a lot of $1 beers quick like if the happy hour cut off looms.
Did I mention my cat can eat a whole watermelon?

Posted by: Dadryan | April 25, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but with many, many $1 beers before kick-off, how are you going to stay out of the men's room during run of play?

Ya gotta think ahead...

Posted by: seahawkdad | April 25, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hacksaw | April 25, 2008 12:12 PM

-----------

The Olypic sprinter in question is the one and only Michael "Golden Shoes" Johnson. I don't believe any anabolic steroids were inconvenienced as he was breaking records in Atlanta '96.

They also mention that Copper was training with teh Man U reserves during the offseason. He looked very good, I thought. I never thought much of him until last night.

Posted by: BK | April 25, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hacksaw | April 25, 2008 12:12 PM

-----------

Posted by: BK | April 25, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for all those typos

Posted by: BK | April 25, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I think they were talking about Michael Johnson last night, Hacksaw. I wasn't paying attention to the commentators, but that caught my ear since I'm a track and field person and a big fan of MJ. He's the world record holder in the 200m and 400m. I'll never forget those gold Nikes and his performances in Atlanta back in 1996. Of course there were accusations, but he is clean and is just one of the many great 400m runners from Baylor. Another Baylor guy(who is actually training under MJ), Jeremy Wariner is knocking at the door and wants the 400m record before Virginia native LeShawn Merritt makes his case for it.

Posted by: sitruc | April 25, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

...and that's what I get for typing, walking away from the computer and then hitting submit when I returned.

Posted by: sitruc | April 25, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Cool, well the guy's a monster and remarkably fast. Have to keep an eye on him.

Posted by: Hacksaw | April 25, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse