Quick Update From RFK

[updated with Soehn and Carvallo quotes]

DCU's morning training session at Estadio RFK was closed to the media, a rarity so early in the season. Something's up.

Carvallo gets the call in goal?
Quaranta starts up front with Emilio?
Moreno ready to return?

Weather conditions for tomorrow's match here.

Meantime, here's the latest on Ben Olsen's injury situation. His right ankle is fine -- "stronger than ever," he said. The left ankle, though, is in a protective boot. He will see a doctor today and a specialist next week.

"I've tried to get through it and it just gets worse and worse," he said. "We're trying to figure it out. If it comes to a point where there's something we have to go get in there, I don't think it's going to be a good situation. It would not be just a couple weeks."

Carvallo, on whether he'll start tomorrow: "I don't know yet because the coach has not told us anything. I always want to be ready. We train very hard and I feel like I am ready if they need me."

Carvallo, on what he has learned about MLS: "It's fast, it's a hard league, it's very strong, but it's soccer and soccer is the same all over the world."

Soehn, on Moreno: "He made it through [training the last two days], he came out without any side effects that he had before. So far so good. But when you've been out for as long as he was, the fitness part drops, so you have to be cautious about the chances you take and how hard you push him."

Soehn, on the scoring problems: "It's still comes down to our service. You can't score goals if you don't get the service, and I don't think we did it a good enough job in the last two games of providing service into the box. That is something we are going to focus on getting better at."

Soehn, on the players possibly looking past Toronto and ahead to Pachuca: "We've addressed it. I'll tell you tomorrow."

By Steve Goff  |  April 4, 2008; 10:55 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Matchday Warm-Up

Comments

This ankle thing is making me worry now.

Posted by: sitruc | April 4, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Poor Benny... too many takes for the Dick's commercials

Posted by: TheCoreSpeaks | April 4, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing it's Quaranta with Emilio.

Unitedcast...I like it.

I have been avoiding the urge to worry about Olsen's ankle, but this quote probably ends that. Hopefully the specialist can figure out the problem, and it's not one that requires surgery.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 4, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

ouch. we need some bite in the midfield.

Posted by: mizage | April 4, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I hope the guy can walk without a cane when he is 50. Right now I am not holding out hope.

Posted by: Ouch! | April 4, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Neill better prove his worth and soon, or else he's gonna be calling Filomeno, Donnet and Erpen for job advice.

Posted by: Logan Circle | April 4, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for Benny. He's had enough ankle problems already... I felt last year was the first year he seemed to have fully recovered.

Alas. Hopefully, he gets healthy soon. United really needs his presence on the field.

Posted by: TCompton | April 4, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's both. Carvallo and Quaranta. Or, maybe...a scret addition to be rolled out at game time? Sheva?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Fred in the middle? 3-5-2?

DCU started off like this last year, and changed from a 3-5-2 to a 4-4-2, right?

Posted by: RK | April 4, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I think now is the time for Sohen to experiment with the lineup while it's still early. Give Kirk, Santino, and Carvallo a start now. We have seen what Niell does. It's still early and I am highly optimistic about our roster but after watching the past few MLS games this week I think we will see another season of low goal differentials.

Posted by: peridigm | April 4, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: peridigm | April 4, 2008 11:48 AM

We havent yet seen what Niell can do! He's played 4 games with new teamates. It takes more than 4 games to gel as a team, what a bunch of chicken littles!
Low goal differentials, what MLS highlights have you been watching?!? The average goal differential so far has been over 2 goals per game!(That's including the ties!)W/O the ties the victory margin jumps to almost a 3 goal differential. That's huge!
Sometimes it's so frustrating to read these silly comments. Have patience and keep it real.
Today's instant gratification society has left us empty and short-sided.

Posted by: boda united | April 4, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Fire Soehn!!!!!!!

Posted by: chris | April 4, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I feel empty and short-sided. Which side do you wear your shorts?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Seriously. We are definitely short-sided. Without Benny, I don't see how DCU has the personnel to switch to a 3-5-2. Start Dyachenko in lieu of Burch or Namoff? This is an extremely thin roster right now. If Benny's not back when the transfer window opens I think the team will be looking hard at its options....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | April 4, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Goff: Isn't there enough money in your budget to rent a helicopter?

In an earlier thread someone pointed out that all of Olsen's action in that commercial was with his head, which makes a lot of sense.

Posted by: tri-village | April 4, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Olsen. The guy had a potential overseas career ended by the first round of ankle woes. Then, in 2002? he blows out a knee. Now this. I hope he comes back strong, but I'm getting Josh Gros vibes from this one.

Posted by: griffin1108 | April 4, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

People should just chill out. Everybody will get "wet" this weekend..Toronto is coming to town..Goals will be a plenty!!! The ship will be righted! Gallardo will show what we have all been waiting to see. Now if we stumble against Toronto, then we can start to be concerned.

Posted by: Alan | April 4, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Goff: How are advance ticket sales going?

Posted by: tri-village | April 4, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

...Can we have Donnet again?

Posted by: B.A. | April 4, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

1 Day till the home opener!!

Carvallo (but prob Wells)

Namoff, Thor, Lil' Gonzo, Burch

McTBone, El Muneco, Simms, Fred da Silva

Luchisismo, Tino

Posted by: delantero | April 3, 2008 05:20 PM

Posted by: delantero | April 4, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

What's sad about that commercial is that it is true. In two local Dick's stores, I was unable to find a DC United jersey, but Beckham jerseys were everywhere.

""Poor Benny... too many takes for the Dick's commercials

Posted by: TheCoreSpeaks | April 4, 2008 11:28 AM ""

Posted by: delantero | April 4, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I feel empty and short-sided. Which side do you wear your shorts?

Posted by: | April 4, 2008 12:09 PM

To the right.....

Posted by: boda united | April 4, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I see Niell more effective coming off the bench, so he can make defenders that are already tired chase him around.

Posted by: dcbeatpachuca | April 4, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't be worse than 0 DCU jersey @ City sports next to verizon center, with a mannequin in the window wearing the Becks jersey last summer.
Looks like no replay of the Toronto game on comcast. Is Direct Kick and Mls.live the only option on watching the game aside from going?

I think I'm saving my pennies to go to the home leg against Pachuca...
Is this a marketing tactic to get a maximum turnout at RFK?
Kinda sucks for the broke stay at home Dad...

Posted by: Dadryan | April 4, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Guinness will return to RFK this season! Yes, our prayers have been answered. Well, at least mine have been answered...

Posted by: Hoost | April 4, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Where's this info on RFK concessions coming from?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

it took Drogba over a season to start not sucking at chelsea..and then he crushed. ten game minimum before any judgements!

Posted by: mizage | April 4, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Hoost, I hope your Guiness prayers included it's companion, Harp.

And for those who didn't click on Goff's link to The Post's UnitedCast, give it a try. Very, very nice.

Posted by: seahawkdad | April 4, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Quick question for the masses:

Anybody know approx. how many United games will be on national TV vs. MLS Direct Kick? All I need is ballpark here.
I'm already in the hole $160 to see the Nats out-of-market and I'm trying to figure out if 80 bucks more for DCU will be worth it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by: McBride | April 4, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Goff's link to the CWG UnitedCast post has now about quadrupled the typical number of comments for one of their blog entries. I wonder what the SI newbies will make of one of Augusta Jim's head-spinningly technical posts? Or how long until Mastodon Juan turns up there complaining that United fans are arrogant? ;-)

Posted by: JB | April 4, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

yeah, whats with comcast not showing the game at all? You would think they could carve out a 2 hour time slot sometime early sunday morning, at least so my DVR could catch it. Bush league!!

My guess is jaime plays, but niell still starts. He needs to keep his head up though and find that killer pass, the lanes are there for the taking. Once he establishes that low ball to the corner that McT or emilio can run onto, it'll free up space for him to work some magic in the middle with the ball at his feet.

Posted by: DudeAbides | April 4, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure most of the season's games are televised by comcast, if they aren't being shown by espn or another major station aside from the game this weekend.
There have already been a few games on FSC but those have been the CCC games so far.
Direct kick doesn't seem to be worth the money does it?

Posted by: Dadryan | April 4, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Direct Kick might might be worth if you live in Ohio, as I do. I just don't think I'll get more than 10 games all year via ESPN/FSC

Posted by: McBride | April 4, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

If Direct Kick's telecast of the game last week was an attempt to get subscriptions, they failed miserably! For about twenty minutes the telecast was in English and Spanish at the same time. The picture quality and camera work was horrendous!

Comcast and FSC need to get HD capability already! It's tough to watch ESPN in such clear picture and then switch over to the grainy images of the other channels!

Posted by: D | April 4, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Really looking forward to the season opener tomorrow. It's my first game as an official, card-carrying member of SE (along with my 11-year- old). Any pointers for a n00b?

Posted by: JB | April 4, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I guess direct kick would work for you out der in ohio,I guess I could have it worse than misssing the random home opener that is pretty much blacked out.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 4, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Whatever it takes, I hope they do for Benny. If it is an operation, he is certainly worth waiting for. He is our heart.

Posted by: Bubbles | April 4, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

There's a Caps game at the same time. Why Comcast couldn't roll out the "Comcast Plus" channel option, I dunno. Guess that only applies for the Wizards.

JB: Get to RFK early and find the SE tailgate area. Free beer, and food for around $6.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 4, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Thats not free my friend!!! if you have to pay that means is not free!!!

BB tailgate is free!!

Posted by: FS | April 4, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

If you go to the DCU site, there are several links to click on to buy tickets, all of which seem to lead here:

There are all kinds of packages, but I don't see how to buy one or two lousy tickets to a single game. Should I just ignore this and go straight to Ticketmaster?

Posted by: tri-village | April 4, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Hoost, I hope your Guiness prayers included it's companion, Harp.

Posted by: seahawkdad | April 4, 2008 01:29 PM
==================
... and someone who can pour a Black & Tan.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 4, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I weighed my options long and hard, but ultimately, since I always go to the games with my son, I decided that the ability to have him join for $5 and still come with tipped the scales in favor of SE. And honestly, I was a little uneasy with the notion of him getting a beer shower during the games! SE seems a little more sedate; (boy, I'll bet I'm kicking a hornet's nest now!) But much love to BB too!

Posted by: JB | April 4, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm not worried about the season - to date. However, I'm not satisfied with Namoff and Burch's performance, so far. Mediate has been an absolute disaster.

Posted by: JSF | April 4, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Comcast home games are in HD, when carried. At least at my house they are...:)

Away games are not. Here in DC, the number of DCU games NOT available on TV has traditionally been less than 5 per year to my memory, and frankly more like 1-2 per year. Then again, I have a full array of channels via DirecTV which includes HDNet...

Posted by: JkR | April 4, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Tri-village you could just buy tickets at RFK. They take plastic.
I have looked for single game tickets but the service charge from ticketmaster seems like money better spent on $6.50 beers.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 4, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Tri-village you could just buy tickets at RFK. They take plastic.
=========================================

Thanks, but I can tolerate the service charge, if only because the alternative is waiting in line. Besides, I want to know exactly what I'm getting in terms of seat location.

Posted by: tri-village | April 4, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: McBride | April 4, 2008 01:37 PM

That how I work it.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | April 4, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Quick question for the masses:

posted by: McBride | April 4, 2008 01:37 P-------
Check out DC United's website and click on schedule. It listed all the tv games. BUT United game is more satisfaction to attend in person. Nat's doesn't matter where you watch there is no excitment.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Posted by: tri-village | April 4, 2008 02:27 PM
-----
contact Screaming Eagles or Barra website sites. You will get individual games. Good luck.

Posted by: td | April 4, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I guess I got lucky with the line at the last home game, the ticket lines were tiny if existant the waiting went on in the Beer lines...
Cheers!

Posted by: Dadryan | April 4, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Hoost, I hope your Guiness prayers included it's companion, Harp.

Posted by: seahawkdad | April 4, 2008 01:29 PM
==================
... and someone who can pour a Black & Tan.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 4, 2008 02:32 PM
__________________________________________

True that, when I had my DCU season tickets those poor souls at the guinness stand would look at me as if I had lobsters crawling out of my ears (A Christmas Story reference) whenever I'd ask for a black-and-tan.

Oh how I miss DCU games. Now I only get to go to 2 games, when the team comes out to play Chivas/L.A. in So-Cal.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | April 4, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Ticket lines are much better than will call lines at RFK. I wish you could print your ticket for free.

Posted by: sitruc | April 4, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Direct Kick covers a little over 55% of the games, and the others falling onto ESPNs and FSC, Telemundo/Galavision (???) and then the odd 4 to 6 games on HDNET or via webcasts.

Between DKick and Espn's/FSC you get about the bulk of the season, plus international tourneys...

For me being on the left coast, I only get to see United 2 to maybe 3 times year (Chivas USA, Galaxy homes games and Superliga final if its @ HDC, and maybe the MLS final, if'en they make it..)

DK is money well spent...

Re: Black & Tans...

bring a spoon and pour slowly down the side.

Or if tailgating for Half & Half, 3 cups
(1 cup guinness, 1 cup harp, 1 soon to be full of Half & Half)

Harp to half, let settle, then Guinness down the inside of cup very slowly if no spoon is available. Let settle and enjoy...

Sounds like I know what I'm drinking for the game tomorrow...

Posted by: Cashous | April 4, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

DCU's website has the full season schedule with what network is televising each game:

Isn't there also a Wizard's game tomorrow night? Maybe they just don't have enough crew to handle 3 games at once.

Posted by: Glenn | April 4, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Well, its coming from DC United's front office. I won't name names, but that's what was told to me.

Posted by: Hoost | April 4, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Hoost -- Pray tell, what can we expect in the way of solid sustenance? Since we aren't allowed to bring food in (I'm not clear why they're adhering to this rule at RFK, but not at Nationals Park, where they stand to make even more money from in park sales), will we have to tailgate to have anything edible besddies the sick chicken nuggets and steamed dogs at Uncle Sam's?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"Why not just shell out the 20 bucks to get the mlslive.tv package? You can still hook up your computer to your tv and watch it that way and most of the time you the DCU announcers."

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | April 4, 2008 03:01 PM

i tried the mlstv package last year and it was unbearable with the connection issues (and i have a solid high speed connection otherwise). also, being able to record it to a dvr is key - if you miss the game good luck navigating through the mlsnet site to where mlstv is buried to view the game replay without seeing the score plastered everywhere.

Posted by: pat | April 4, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

*******************************************

I'm going to the game tomorrow night but yeah, I've got at least one eye on Pachuca. Anyone who wants to see our evil Mexican gopher enemies one more time can see them play America at 5 pm Sunday on Telefutura.

Posted by: garbaggio | April 4, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Soehn's talk of service being the problem means more possession and less long ball, which has been the actual problem. If we start keeping the ball, we can have Gallardo and Fred being the ones trying to play our forwards through, rather than our defenders. I am big on Peralta and Martinez, but I'd rather have our $1.5 million playmaker grabbing the assists.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 4, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Chris. You are the only sane one out here. Fire Soehn. Indeed, we have not seen what Niell can do since he has been getting third rate service from Gallardo. Who was the genius that decided to get rid of Steven DeRoux? Yep United, it is better to bring back dead weight for $25,000 than pay a guy $18,000 to work his butt off every time he stepped on the field. Oh well, at least the reserve matches are always worth the price I pay for admission!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pat | April 4, 2008 04:08 PM
_________________________________________

Not to be too cynical but it's pretty easy to go to yahoo or google and type in "mlslive.tv" and have a link directly to that page pop up. As for connection issues, I can see how that would stink. I guess that's 1 thing I can actually be thankful of Charter Communications for.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | April 4, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Ughhh the thought of surgery on Olsen's ankles worried me from the start. This is not good.

The team is substantially worse without his heart, desire, and grit on the field.

Posted by: Todd H. | April 4, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

You guys quit ordering black and tans - the beer line is slow enough already!

Posted by: ff | April 4, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Today's instant gratification society has left us empty and short-sided.

Posted by: boda united | April 4, 2008 12:05 PM

__________________________________________

I'm not talking about goal differential for a game you ninny! I'm talking about the table. ALl I'm sayin' is at the end of the season you will look at the table and see low goal differentials across the board. NE oes up by 3 in their first game and drops by 4 in their second. In 2007 out of 14 teams only 3 had a goal differential over 10. In 2006, 1 team had a goal differential over 5! Granted their are not a lot of teams so there will obviously be a lot with a negative but what this shows is none of the teams have had a strong defense. They all leak goals.

As far as Niell is concerned, I'll be the first to eat crow if he proves his worth. Otherwise all I have seen is that he can run around like a maniac and can only jump as high as the shoulder of his closest defender. Oh, and he falls down a lot.

Posted by: peridigm | April 4, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

One day to the second home match of the season!

Can United continue to average six goals a game at home?

Posted by: Curious | April 4, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

People , Get a Grip!!!

I remember last year somebodya talin about a "must-win" game in the first few weeks of the season.

If the last two years have taught me anything, it is that there is no such thing as a must win game in the regular season in this league.

Let's let this brand new team gel. I'm actually surprised that Goff was as hard on a few of the players as he ws in the last few days (Neill, Emilio, Wells). It's actually going to take afew months for these guys to work well together, whihc is fine with me.

We can't help it if the CCC is held during our preseason and in the middle of Mexico's season.

Posted by: Bjorn Turok | April 4, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Just called RCN to ask what up with MLSkick, which they are including generically in their soccer guide listings. Not available yet but RCN is currently negotiating the deal with MLS, according to sales guy.

Posted by: dcca | April 4, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

thanks dcca. I have RCN and was wondering why they did not have directkick yet. will keep my eyes open.

and thanks to all for making me thirsty reading this post. off to get a beer.

Posted by: Sec. 131 | April 4, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I guess just about the only significant action of the day, such as it is, kicks off in a few minutes, when the USA faces Jamaica in women's Olympic qualifying. What is scary is that Mexico has already beaten the hapless Reggae Girlz by seven goals, so the Yanks have every incentive to duplicate this feat, and then some, in case of a USA-Mexico draw on Sunday, when goal differential would come into play. I wouldn't want to be in the Jamaicans' shoes.

Incidentally, there is a matchtracker, if you want to follow the carnage:

Posted by: tri-village | April 4, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey, what's with all this doom and gloom???
It's only the start of the seaon--teams take time to jell together. Damn, all of you whinny people give D.C.UNITED TIME to jell together.
Soon they'll start beating everybody and making the supporters feel good. Give it time.
DCUNITED will RULE!!

Posted by: Leo | April 4, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I concur with Leo. This team is still not in shape. They will do better next time around with Pachuca with a home crowd backing them!!!

Posted by: Felix | April 4, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Still USWNT 2 Jamaica 0 at half

Posted by: sitruc | April 4, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

The stadium down there apparently holds about 22,300 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Ol%C3%ADmpico_Benito_Ju%C3%A1rez). The Mexicans somehow got over 20,000 fans out on a weeknight to see El Tri go up against the lowly Reggae Girlz. On Sunday the place will be packed for USA-Mexico. And at the rate things are going, the possession arrow will be pointing Mexico's way, so to speak. So the USA has to win outright on Sunday in a hostile environment, or else they face Canada, and a trip to China is not guaranteed.

Posted by: tri-village | April 4, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Beware the RCN Bammas...\
They'll steal your stuff...
Just ask Debt.

Posted by: Madryan | April 4, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

I see my long lost brother is rambling again.
I would so love to buy a scratcher and win 200 bucks so I could weasle out of the birthday party tommorow, and go to the second home opener and the Pachuca match next week...
Honestly the coverage of DCU games on free tv is pretty great aside from this weekend. The REAL BLACKOUT if you will.
Holler if you got an extra ticket man! I'll bring a bottle.
I really should come home early for the ol' across the street parents birthday party, but my mother in law will be in town and she works in a pinch.

I would love to just make it to all the games that are not on Comcast this year.(the most important ones of course)
That would be alright.

Posted by: Dadryan | April 5, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

When the Diplomats were in business nearly 30 years ago, nearly all their away games were on Channel 5 (before there was a Fox network for Channel 5 to belong to), and all of their games, home and away, were on WTOP, when that station was on the AM dial at 1500, and with a far stronger signal than WFED. I sometimes wonder whether this crazy quilt of radio and TV coverage is much of an improvement over NASL days.

Posted by: tri-village | April 5, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

The U.S. Soccer matchtracker noted that the crowd was clearly rooting for Jamaica against the U.S. Is there any doubt that they will be rooting for Canada if it comes to that?

Posted by: tri-village | April 5, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

US win 4, 5, or 6 - 0.

Posted by: sitruc | April 5, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

I normally hate it when the MatchTracker stops working in the middle of the women matches, but I think I would have taken that...

insanity over the...

confusion MatchTracker caused...

this time.
USA beat Jamaica 6-0. Mexico just needs a tie to win the group while the US needs a win.

Posted by: sitruc | April 5, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (April 4, 2008) - Three goals from Abby Wambach and one each from Lauren Cheney, Heather O'Reilly and Tobin Heath propelled the U.S. Women's National Team to a 6-0 victory against Jamaica in their opening game of 2008 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying. The WNT faces Mexico at 1:30 p.m. MT on Sunday for first place in Group A.
Of course the MatchTracker and all accounts say the first goal was scored by Lloyd and assisted by Abby. That would mean Wambach only had two goals, but what do I know? The above quote is only from the US Soccer front page and I followed the match via US Soccer's MatchTracker. For all I know, the first goal that was disallowed(25 seconds in) was actually a goal.

Posted by: sitruc | April 5, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Here's a somewhat less confusing account:

Posted by: tri-village | April 5, 2008 3:46 AM | Report abuse

I pick Costa Rica for second place in the other group, because all they have to do is bunker down and lose by fewer than six goals. In any event, the difference between facing Canada and Costa Rica (or T&T), with a trip to China on the line, is like night and day.

Posted by: tri-village | April 5, 2008 3:53 AM | Report abuse

Deroux? Are you serious?

Why do people insist on confusing frenzied running with effectiveness?

Thanks for the laugh, though.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2008 4:15 AM | Report abuse

Someone earlier asked me about food at RFK. I only know about beer!! : ) I also heard Carlsberg, in case anyone was interested. : ) No word on Harp.

Posted by: Hoost | April 5, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: peridigm | April 4, 2008 08:31 PM

Thanx peridigm, I needed a good laugh this a.m.! :-) I don't know that I have EVER been called a "ninny".......I can now add that to the long list of "Complimentary things I've been called" ;-) My group of 28 leaves NoVa for RFK in 7 hours!!!!!! Vamos...Vamos United.....este noche...

Posted by: boda united | April 5, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

FWIW, the US Soccer front page changed two more times before getting it right.

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (April 4, 2008) - The U.S. Women's National Team got two goals from Abby Wambach, who also created two others, in a 6-0 victory over Jamaica in the USA's first match of the 2008 CONCACAF Women's Olympic Qualifying. With the win, combined with Mexico's 8-1 win over Jamaica on Wednesday, the USA and Mexico have qualified for the semifinals.

Posted by: sitruc | April 5, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Would it be bad form to wear my Ovechkin jersey to the game tonight? I'm psyched the season is starting, but I gotta admit, I'm going to be doing a lot of scoreboard watching while at RFK. C-A-P-S! CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Posted by: JB | April 5, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I wish both games weren't at the same time. I drove to the game on Tuesday so I could haul tail as soon as the game ended so I could see the DCU CCC match. I hear there is some little college basketball tournament tonight as well.

Posted by: sitruc | April 5, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse