USA-Cuba at RFK

Assuming both sides advance this summer, the United States and Cuba will meet in a 2010 World Cup semifinal-round qualifier at RFK Stadium on Sat., Oct. 11, USA Coach Bob Bradley told Washington Post editors and reporters this afternoon. The other home venues -- in September and November -- have not been finalized, but my guess is that Chicago and Denver are at the top of the list.

I'll have more on our roundtable discussion with Bradley later here on the Insider.....

What do you think of international soccer returning to RFK?

By Steve Goff  |  April 25, 2008; 5:43 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS's African Pipeline
Next: Bradley Speaks

Comments

Would FIFA have an issue with the altitude in Denver?

Posted by: Wes | April 25, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

wonder if the Cubans will be guarded this time

Posted by: Mysterian | April 25, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Would FIFA have an issue with the altitude in Denver?

Posted by: Wes | April 25, 2008 5:50 PM

No, their issue is over 3500 meters which is well more than the 5200 feet denver is at.

Posted by: Mark | April 25, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

"What do you think of international soccer returning to RFK?"

I'm stoked. Can't wait for tickets to go on sale.

Posted by: Yes! | April 25, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah DENVER! Awesome stadium. If our guys train here for a bit the altitude will finally be an advantage!

Cool.

Posted by: Hacksaw | April 25, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

WC Qualifier at RFK? Whoo hoo!. Tailgate preparations are already underway.

The Post must have splurged for new techie tools for the Goffer's laptop. A plethora of posts today. Soon the SI will be linked to text messages on our cellphones.

BTW - has anyone else noticed a Tino love fest developing . . .

Posted by: MR Caretaker | April 25, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I thought that El Salvador-Anguilla represented the return of international soccer to RFK.

Posted by: tri-village | April 25, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Finally cities with SSS getting rewarded with Nats (the OG Ones not the fake ass baseball ones) games. this great and it all begings in my back yard the HDC

Posted by: Rando | April 25, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to think of a good -- but, safe -- joke involving my appearance at this game in a certain location so that any asylum seekers talented enough to have a trial with DCU during the winter can find me... But it's Friday night, and the pillow's calling my name.

Posted by: B.A. | April 25, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm on record as being philosophically opposed to holding big soccer events in the city until the stadium situation (ZZZZZZZZZ) is resolved. Removal of revenue and detrimental impact to the city is the only leverage the team and soccer in general has of influencing policy.

Since the USMNT is returning to RFK I can only conclude that the stadium deal is about to be announced.

WOOOOHOOOOOO on both fronts.

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | April 25, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

You're such a tease. Thanks for making Washington Post Live worth watching by breaking this news. Where was Russ Thaler and are you going to help Mike Wise find a 14-year old? If you want to help Wise, I have a friend(chansen59) who can set things up.

Posted by: sitruc | April 25, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

==========================================

This so-called leverage is nonexistent. What evidence is there that anyone in District government even noticed the absence of international matches at RFK the past several years?

Posted by: tri-village | April 25, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping for Trinidad at RFK the Trini community would be out in force for that game.

Posted by: Omar | April 25, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm stoked!

And Goff, what was up with that guy on WPL asking "What is CONCACAF anyways? It sounds like something you get at Starbucks!"???

Smart aleck....

Posted by: Andy | April 25, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I just redeemed the two free tickets I won from the American Outlaws (supporter's group) at MLS Cup for the USA-ARG game in Jersey.

Looks like I pulled the trigger too soon, especially since the Screaming Eagles Party Bus to the Meadowlands is full up.

But I'm glad USSF is bringing the game back to RFK. And I still have the USWNT to see before October.

And I could always crack open my wallet, I suppose. :-p

Posted by: Stevan in Gaithersburg | April 26, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I know they gotta get past the first round first, but how soon would tickets go on sale for this match?

Posted by: Juan-John | April 26, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait, the last game here was a blast! (vs. Panama 6-0!!)

Posted by: Dougg | April 28, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse