'We're a Folk-Singing Group From Salt Lake City'

[updated with Fire news, Mexico roster, charity event]

Greetings from the Wasatch Front.

No wedding crashing this weekend. No venture capitalists from New Hampshire. Sadly, no Rachel McAdams either. Just futbol.

United (the airline, not the MLS club) apologizes for my day-long absence. (The connection from Denver was ready for lift-off. Unfortunately, the crew was in San Diego -- grrr.)

So what'd I miss?

Well, for starters, I was too late for DCU training at Rice-Eccles. So I really have nothing to offer you. Not a crumb. Maybe later tonight. Maybe not until tomorrow at the match.

Well, there is this: John Guppy is out in Chicago.

Also, you remember Pachuca, right? The team that ruined DCU's week? Yeah, those guys. Four of their players were named to Mexico's roster for the friendly against China Wednesday in Seattle.

GOALKEEPERS: Oswaldo Sanchez (Santos Laguna), José de Jesús Corona (Tecos UAG).

DEFENDERS: Leobardo López (Pachuca), Patricio Araujo (CD Guadalajara), Fausto Pinto (Pachuca), Adrián Aldrete (Morelia), Omar Trujillo (Morelia), Omar Esparza (CD Guadalajara), Alejandro Castro (Cruz Azul).

MIDFIELDERS: Sergio Amaury Ponce (Toluca), Luis Ernesto Pérez (Monterrey), Jorge Hernández (Atlas), Antonio Naelson (Toluca), Carlos Gerardo Martínez (Pachuca), José Joel González (Monterrey).

FORWARDS: Sergio Santana (CD Guadalajara), Juan Carlos Cacho (Pachuca), Cesar Villaluz (Cruz Azul), Pablo Barrera (Pumas UNAM), Christian Bermúdez (Atlante).

Finally, the KICKS Against Breast Cancer tournament takes place all day Saturday at Maryland SoccerPlex featuring women's college teams and the Washington Freedom. Click here for the full schedule. Admission is $10.

By Steve Goff  |  April 11, 2008; 5:02 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Night Arrives Without a Suitcase
Next: Fire Search and More Salaries

Comments

mmwahahahahaha, numero uno biatch!!!

Posted by: yes | April 11, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

It could be worse, you could have been booked on American...

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | April 11, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Come to think of it, there's a daily non-stop from IAD to SLC on Delta that avoids the whole transfer in Dallas or Denver completely. Unfortunately, I've gone to Utah for work. Nice people, but TERRIBLE nightlife, especially down in the Utah Valley.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | April 11, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh that sounds terrible but glad you made it. Behindthebadge hasn't offered anything either. Maybe kyle is depressed!

Posted by: pk | April 11, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

LeesburgSoccerFan beat me to the current events reference.

Posted by: B.A. | April 11, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Boycott United. Seriously. I was stuck in Denver for 3 days during the snowstorm last year--United pulled all of its people, offered us nothing, not even meal vouchers, or a line to stand in. Every other airline was there helping people, making the stay more comfortable and easier to transition out of.

United is the worst airline ever.

Posted by: viv | April 11, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Delta too expensive this time. Plus, I've gotta get my United miles.

Posted by: Goff | April 11, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I saw the first few minutes of practice before they kicked us out (I guess they didn't want any NE Patriots videotaping going on). The practice was short (less than an hour) - first 20 minutes of practice was just fitness it appeared. We didn't get to see the rest. Nothing noteworthy that I could tell. I have a few pictures that I'll post here when I get a minute.

Posted by: realslfan | April 11, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Those fares where ya have to make a connecting flight don't seem so cheap now do they? ;)

Posted by: Allen | April 11, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

LSF: If you're in the area for any length of time, you'll have to go north to Salt Lake for ANY kind of nighhtlife. The Provo-Orem area is dominated by the BYU campus & morals. Trust me, I grew up in SLC.

Posted by: Bob in Manassas | April 11, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and from an earlier thread some one posed a query / song quote from the Beach Boys. Yeah, they used to come to town on a semi-regular basis back in the 60's. The resort they talked about (Lagoon) was north of SLC/Bountiful, just off I-15 - Kinda like King's Dominion, without Corporate sponsorship.

Posted by: Bob in Manassas | April 11, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised Goff didn't get kicked off the plane for dressing to revealing.

Posted by: sitruc | April 11, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, fair enough, but just know that they'll screw you as soon as look at you. Yes, even a Gold member or whatever ya'll are called.

Posted by: viv | April 11, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I should have never joked about delay...
Could be worse though and all the stupid planes could still be crashing into buildings.
Thank goodness Bush/Cheney and all their oil tycoon buddies are making record profits and flying on private jets while everyone else sits in their mess.
Human powered transportation will save some of us I hope. Glad you finally made it but isn't it weird how the whole airline industry is starting to rival Grey Hound in horror stories?
The exodus is right around the corner.
Beware the suburban sports facility!
Build in the City!
They will all be coming back sooner than you think!

Posted by: Dadryan. | April 11, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

A plea to karma...oh balancer of the events of the universe, you have Lopez on tab for that red card that he got away with at RFK on Wednesday. Please, oh please don't collect it in a useless friendly. Save it for a more important occassion, like in South Africa in 2010. That would be nice.

I'm not bitter, I'm not bitter, I'm not bitter...

Posted by: Kosh | April 12, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Goff - for your trips to LA and San Jose, you've got to fly Virgin Atlantic. Decent fares, direct service, friendly staff, and mood lighting on board (not making that up). Plus a TV screen for everyone.

Posted by: FC | April 12, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

The Post doesn't give you a private jet? Cheap bastards!

So why does every latino guy I have talked to this morning think DC United is in talks with Riquelme? Was something said in the Spanish media?

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 12, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

the new site name of worldsports11.blogspot.com is worldsportsnet.blogspot.com

Posted by: Yaya | April 12, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Re: Riquelme,
I don't think they have a clue. DCU wouldn't pursue two play makers for a designated slot. That's just pure fales unless OF is on pils.
McBride scored nice sliding goal but can FulAmerian can hold on to it?

Posted by: Arlington for United | April 12, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

ESPN's soccernet now reporting

Ronaldinho has agreed initial terms with AC Milan and the Serie A club will now speak to Barcelona about a deal, Milan and the player's agent have said. The 28-year-old Brazilian playmaker has had a difficult few months at the Nou Camp because of injury and loss of form and a move has long been mooted.

Posted by: RK | April 12, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Here's what Goff filed for this morning's print editions:

Posted by: tri-village | April 12, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Good story by Steve this morning. Dead tree edition and coffee - good way to start the weekend :-)

... and I-270, Exit 2 scored 2 goals in kiddie soccer.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 12, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse