All-Star Lame

MLS has finalized plans to have West Ham play the all-stars in Toronto on July 24.

The Commish promises a "memorable display of the world's game."

Prediction:

MLS 3, West Ham 1

League trumpets another glorious victory over a foreign club in preseason. Rest of world yawns.

By Steve Goff  |  April 3, 2008; 11:32 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zaher In, Cezar Out
Next: Moreno's Thoughts

Comments

This has always been a "who cares" event for me, and this years version will not stop the trend.

Posted by: voyager | April 3, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

If the game day temp. is above 80, it'll be more like 5-1.

Posted by: EdTheRed | April 3, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I guess the All-Star Game, for what it's worth, won't come back to D.C. until United gets the new stadium built. Fair enough. But I'd like to see at least one European club play United this year at RFK.

Posted by: Todas las Estrellas | April 3, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

They should do a north america vs world all star game rather than this piece of crap

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Yawn, but it is an opportunity for Canadian Eurosnobs to show up in their Chelsea/Man Utd/Arsenal Jerseys.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 3, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Has there ever been an east vs. west all star game? I am too lazy to look it up right now. But why have these conferences if we aren't going to use them? lets just pull the trigger already and go with the one table format and stop pussy-footing around!!

Posted by: DudeAbides | April 3, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

The league has only been around for 13 years and DudeAbides just made me feel really, really old.

Here's a link for the kids:

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 3, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

You will never convince me to pay for this game. I'd be tempted to hock free tickets if I got 'em.

Posted by: xb1srw | April 3, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I'd pay to see West Ham, unless they were playing Man Utd.

Posted by: Deanna | April 3, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

MLS came to its senses and got rid of the game clock counting down to zero, the shootout. It's gradually admitting that it really doesn't need to "Americanize" the game of soccer in order for Americans (and Canadians) to support the league. Euthanizing the senseless ASG is just another overdue step in that direction.

Posted by: Doug | April 3, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Why are All-Star Games and All-Star voting held mid season? (Except football) Never understood this concept. You're only an All-Star if you perform well in the first half of the season? That's just dumb.........50/50 on me watching the All-Star game...

Posted by: boda united | April 3, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

No way in hell. I won't even watch it on TV. All Star games are pointless.

Posted by: No Way | April 3, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Didn't even go to all star game when it was at RFK and I had tixs..

So over pre-season bottom feeding EPL teams playing meaningless games here. Very excited about mid-season top Mexican teams playing games here that count for something.

Posted by: Big Roy | April 3, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

No, i would not pay to see that. A crappy EPL team? Im sorry but i rather see MLS play a big south american team like say Boca.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | April 3, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I am an EPL fan but no to this nonsense game. Although if it was ManU I would love to see.

Posted by: td | April 3, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the We Couldn't Get Liverpool Bowl.

I saw DC play Spurs at RFK many years ago, and it was friends and family. Sometimes, I think the EPL overinflates their belief that every club is 'massive', no, only the Big Four. Past their prime Ljungberg, Dyer and Bellamy take on the best American players who have not fled to Europe yet, yawn.

Posted by: AM | April 3, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Why must you all hate me so?

Posted by: Jonathan Spector | April 3, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I would not pay to see West Ham. But I did go the MLS v Chelsea match in Chicago and it was cool. Preseason or not, there were Ballack, Terry, Sheva, etc. just a few feet away. And a lot cheaper than going to see them at Stamford Bridge. It was a good value, I'd say. Don't think West Ham is a good value at any price. The opponent matters, is the bottom line.

Posted by: Scott | April 3, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

If I get to see my boy Johnny Spector play, I would pay to see this game!

Posted by: Oh Susana | April 3, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Hello - it's your friends Switzerland and Austria. We're hosting a big quadrennial tournament this year and we'll have the big name players from big name clubs tied up for this summer (unless you're England - but your players don't play for the big clubs there).

West Ham was probably the best you could do.

Didn't you partner with our German neighbors and the Bundesliga? What's that generating?

Posted by: Euro 2008 | April 3, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Hammers, eh?
Can MLS get the Cockney Rejects to play the halftime show. That might be fun.

Posted by: Dobey | April 3, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

West Ham? West Ham?.........They could have atleast pick a team like Fulham, then it would have been MLS ALLSTARS vs EX MLS ALLSTARS

Posted by: yo its me | April 3, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I'll be the first to say that I WOULD pay for this. West Ham seems like a pretty meaningless opponent, and I would certainly prefer to play another team. That said, I always like to see how MLS stacks up against other leagues in the world. Plus, it's fun to see all the best MLS players I see every week on the pitch at the same time. I would rather see United vs Pachuca or as suggested elsewhere, MLS vs an in-season S. American team from Argentina or Brasil, but if I lived in Toronto, I'd try to get tickets to this. I do prefer it to East v West.

Posted by: David | April 3, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

first, the all star game generates revenue, a lot of it

second, each mls all star recieves a nice bonus, so this is a really good chance for developmental players and such to impress to get that extra hefty bonus

and finally, does it need to be the EPL? i hate watching the premier league, i hate its, it gets shoved down my throat by fsc, but it sucks, i don't really like it at all, where's my bundesliga? oh great, comcast doesn't carry gol tv

fact remains, we're trying to market to the eurosnobs to watch mls, jaime moreno said after the chelsea game in front of all the fans "hey, you have a team here in chicago, a great team, support them", thats really what the league is after, if it works, hell yes, if it don't, oh well, still made some dough

Posted by: 24060 | April 3, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I would definitely pay to see this match. A bunch of DC whiners on this post. I suppose international friendlies are also meaningless.

Posted by: Real New York FC | April 3, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I like the MLS All-Star game. I think WestHam is a step down from the last 2 opponents, but the Hammers are still considered substantially better than MLS. The MLS All-Star format is far superior to the drab East vs. West 12-9 exhibition matches. At least it's competitive.

Sure, none of us thinks that MLS All-Stars are superior to Chelsea. But why belittle MLS for coming up with an entertaining and competitive All-Star format that celebrates the league's best players and that gives them a chance to shine against supposedly superior competition.

All of you who don't want your tickets, give them to me. I have friends who'd love to go.

Posted by: DWE4 | April 3, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

i wont even watch it on tv. what a waste of time. this eague is so horrible i might even sell my season tickets.

Posted by: chris | April 3, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

the league is doing a great job it is time to start opening up the pocket books so we can start competing with the rest of the world in this game. if we start to bring in better players more people will watch. i know alot of people who love soccer but refuse to go see another mls game because they are so horrible

Posted by: chris | April 3, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Chivas is the only team that has come to play that hasn't spoken English as its primary language.

Bundesliga deal?

Boca? River?

Fiorentina? Milan? Roma? Juve?

Ajax? PSV?

Villareal? Atletico Madrid? Sevilla?

Lyon? Marseille?

Certainly we can get some translators.

Posted by: Anglo-Saxon Mania | April 3, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I think they should play the Allied team from "Victory" next year.

Posted by: Kev | April 3, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Can MLS get the Cockney Rejects to play the halftime show?

Posted by: Dobey | April 3, 2008 01:07 PM
--------------------------------------------

Now that, I would pay to see! Naturally they would open with "Police Car"... (The second line is something like, "I got nicked, rooting for West Ham!")

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 3, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: ahelms | April 3, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Even better, the Rejects lip-synching their West Ham song on TV!

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 3, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Sigh, worse than the Fulham game. Atleast then you could say, "look, here's two players on the other team who will represent you in the next World Cup." Now what is there to talk about? Jonathon Spector?

Could this be the only non-sell out at BMO this season?

Posted by: Glaucon | April 3, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

To Goofy Goff and All the Haters:

Here are some facts about West Ham which you obviously don't know.
- Was the starting point for the core of England's current national team like Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Michael Carrick, Rio Ferdinand (Captain) and Jermaine Defoe. Even David Beckham spent some time in the Academy. So the next generation of superstars will no doubt be coming to Toronto to play MLS
-Has a host of Premier League stars like Freddie Ljungberg, Anton Ferdinand, Luis Boa Morte, Dean Ashton and Bobby Zamora.
-Has the future of the US National Team's defense in Jonathan Spector.
-Provided the core of England's ONLY World Cup Champion Team

Correction to Goff (again):
WHU - 2
MLS - 1

Posted by: DCU-WHU Fan Club President | April 3, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

DCU-WHU Fan Club President

They aren't worth your time, they don't know anything about West Ham, you can't argue against ignorance.

Posted by: Dannyc58 | April 3, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

YES...bring on the HAMMERS!

Should be an interesting and competitve match....prediction = MLS 2 West Ham 1

GO FIRE......BLANCO for VP

Only 15,000 tonight at TP, come on FIRE fans get off your arse and freeze with the rest of us!

Posted by: Gilly73 | April 3, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"-Provided the core of England's ONLY World Cup Champion Team"

Excellent. So West Ham is bringing a team of 60- and 70-year olds to face the MLS All Stars?

MLS 25 - West Ham 0

BTW, only 3 Hammers were on the WC66 team. Is 3 a core? If so, then Liverpool and Man Utd each had a core on that team.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 3, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

DCU-WHU Fan Club President

Posted by: Dannyc58

See, I would have said INDIFFERENCE, not ignorance.
But, whatever.

Posted by: marksman | April 3, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

So now we're thumbing our noses at the EPL? I'll agree that West Ham isn't one of the Big Four, but you still get to see top MLS players playing against quality players. Maybe not HIGH quality players, but I doubt anyone playing for West Ham would struggle to make a roster in one of the top four or five leagues in the world.

Thanks for missing the whole point, people. It is called BRANDING. We have to show to people who follow the sport that MLS has good players. Sure, Celtic or Chelsea or whoever is a big-ER opponent, but any EPL team other than say, Derby, is quality enough to show that MLS players "have something."

Posted by: Doug | April 3, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

How about MLS all-stars versus Mexican League all-stars?

Posted by: Yes | April 4, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse