Afternoon Briefing

First, let's go to the mailbag.....

Typical RFK (from an anonymous e-mailer):

"Tonight's friendly match between USA and Canada -- all and all fun, great to see the US women back on the field - YET who could focus on a game when repeatedly the game pa announcer fumbled over names, numbers, game time -- A DISGRACE (at least 7 errors). This would never have happened at a men's game. Following the game, the majority of gates were closed having nearly 10,000 fans wandering back and forth through RFK trying to get out. Security had no idea where to direct fans. Back and forth with no guidance, fans becoming more and more infuriated. Interestingly when the security station was approached, he was watching a basketball game. hmmmmm. Did they really care about this event?"

Remembering Gordon Bradley (from former GMU player Irad Young):

"I read with great pride the wonderful article you wrote in the Washington Post about Gordon Bradley's memorial service. It was especially emotional for me because Gordon represented the connection between my and my father's soccer careers. Gordon coached my father, Roby Young, when he played for the New York Cosmos in 1972 and 1973, and he coached me at George Mason from 1989 to 1993. Gordon actually took great pride in having the opportunity to coach a "second generation" of players. The memorial service also gave me the opportunity to reconnect with Werner Roth and Shep Messing, teammates of my father that I have not seen in years. Incidentally, Shep is the Godfather of my youngest brother. Randy Horton, another teammate who attended the memorial service, kept calling me Roby because of the strong physical resemblance between my father and me. I have only heard stories of my dad crossing balls to Randy who towered above the defenders to head home many goals, including the game-winning goal in the playoffs during the 1972 championship run. I have known the Bradleys my entire life. Gordon was a big influence in our family's soccer career as he was for many others, first on Long Island and later around the country."

*BBC offers the best quotes from the English season.

*The key to Columbus's 6-1 start? Schelotto? Rogers? Perhaps Brian Carroll. DCU fans remember him, right? "He's been a tremendous addition to our team," Crew Coach Sigi Schmid told Soccer America. "He's that fulcrum in the middle of the field and he's able to anchor it for us."

*This just in from DCU (yawn -- can someone explain the purpose of these "strategic partnerships"?):

D.C. United will hold a press conference Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. to announce the club's new strategic partnership with Club Bolívar of La Paz, Bolivia. United General Manager Dave Kasper, Bolívar President Marcelo Claure, former United and Bolívar midfielder Marco Etcheverry and United forward Jaime Moreno will address members of the media at Tutto Bene Restaurant in Arlington, Va.

*Our thoughts and prayers are with the good people of Chengdu and Sichuan province, the epicenter of a massive earthquake in China today. (I spent a week in Chengdu last fall with the U.S. women's team during the World Cup.)

By Steve Goff  |  May 12, 2008; 1:22 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Good, The Bad, The Coyote Ugly
Next: Morning Briefing

Comments

The only good thing about the announcement at Tutto Benes's are the salteñas. Bolivar? Blech...

VIVA EL TIGRE

Posted by: BarraBoliviano | May 12, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree the announcer was horrible! I wont go so far as to claim this never would have happened at a MNT game but his performance was certainly disgraceful. Fans would have been better without an announcer.

Posted by: WNT Fan | May 12, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Given all the "help" in terms of players and coaching acumen obtained so far, I would say frequent flyer points, the chance to sample local cuisine and watch better matches than the ones put on by United this season.

Posted by: griffin1108 | May 12, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

The partnerships seem to do nothing than placate the fans who have a chip on their shoulder about MLS. The teams seem to think if they are "partners" with these foreign teams, people who think MLS is bad will suddenly change their mind.

Posted by: Brian | May 12, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Then again if you can get a player like Juan Carlos Arce on your team as an 18 year old it will have been well worth it.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | May 12, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Weird Tutto's is right down the street from me.
Still never been in and have wondered what the deal is with Saltena's on Sundays at an Italian eatery?
Will the place be open to the public when Jaime and crew are up in there?

Posted by: Dadryan | May 12, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

The announcer was the same one from DC United games. I noticed his numerous errors, but have to give him a little leeway. These names probably are not known to him, like DC United players or even US Mens National Team players.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Tutto Benne has an Italian menu Monday thru friday and Bolivian on the weekends.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | May 12, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

No disrespect to the Bolivian partnership but DC needs to focus a little more on trying to patch up with the Salvadorean & Guatemalan community. IF DC wants more fans in the stadium than the ones they have, they should get a salvadorean or a guatemalan player or just partner up with a big club from either country. just imagine that stadium much more packed screaming DC like the old days.

just saying!
500000 salvadoreans can do wonders to the stadium attendence average.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | May 12, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I agree that an announcer does a disgraceful job if he or she mispronounces players' names. Perhaps RFK's announcer does show greater diligence studying men's names than he does with women's names. He should be more like Fox Soccer's announcers, who show no sexism when it comes to mispronouncing names,

Posted by: ho | May 12, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Tried that with Cerritos and Quintanilla. Didn't work then, won't work now.

Posted by: HulkHogan | May 12, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

If there is indeed some sort of benefits why wouldn't DCU partner with a little more recognized clubs.

Posted by: td | May 12, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry. After years of watching him make 1 good play followed by 3 bad ones, I can't believe a single positive word written or said about Brian Carroll.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | May 12, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

USSF Studio 90 highlights are up

I had to rewind the first few seconds to make sure that I did hear the announcer say "Tina Ellertson had her first baby on Monday."

Mistakes aside, congratulations Tina, Brad, and big sister MacKenzie!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 12, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Are Boca Juniors and Atletico Mineiro well known enough for you?

Posted by: DirtyHarry | May 12, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Man, I miss living near Tutto Bene- gotta go there next time I'm back in DC on a weekend. Mmm...saltenas....

Posted by: Ricky B | May 12, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

DirtyHarry I am aware of the Italian/Bolivian menus @ Tutto Benne, without dining there on either day I wonder why they do this?
Bolivian chefs?
Italian dishwashers?
Do you know the deal?
I am now dying to go check the place out on a weekend and a weekday.

Posted by: Dadryan | May 12, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Dual ownership. Both menus rock. Pretty authentic Bolivian cusine. Marco's a frequent customer.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | May 12, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

=========================================

Perhaps the announcer was thinking that Tina Frimpong had the other one.

Posted by: tri-village | May 12, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

My personal favorite from the BBC site:

"I've got more points on my driving licence."

Derby manager Paul Jewell on his side's meagre total.

Posted by: delantero | May 12, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I was at the memorial service. I don't think I saw Randy Horton, but even if I had, I'm not sure I would have connected him with the person with an impressive Afro from 35 years ago. He seems to have had an interesting post-NASL career:

Posted by: tri-village | May 12, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow!
Good to know Dirty.
I've heard good things about the place from a couple sources.
It looks a little pricey,
but I think the testimonial on SI is gonna be
the end of us holding out.
Thanks!

Posted by: Dadryan | May 12, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I hope the days of pursuing a player of a particular nationality are long gone.

The people coming to RFK enjoy attractive and winning soccer. That should bring just about anyone out, El Salvadoran/Ghanan/Mexican, etc.

Thus far this season, we've been a horrible roller coaster with flashes of brilliance and ugliness mixed.

Posted by: delantero | May 12, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Goff, great work on the Bradley memorial coverage. Still got a bit of goosebumps from reading that.

Can anyone else share more Bradley-isms? Two of those are absolute gems, and I'm always looking for pithy one liners like the ones in Goff's article to keep me motivated and put it all in perspective.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | May 12, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I had a dream last night....

The MLS realized they're the only game in town in July and August in terms of soccer, internationally. Miraculously, MLS brings in some top talent, and makes up the money with deals to sell packages of their games around the world.

Alas, it was just a dream...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 12, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

A few years ago I was sitting on the quiet side and DC gave up a goal to a young unknown Jamil Walker of the San Jose Quakes (or maybe Clash). The RFK announcer credited the goal DC's never-used backup keeper Jorge Geddes. Apparently they wore the same number.

Nowadays the loud side of RFK rarely hears any PA system. i doubt anyone misses it.

Posted by: garbaggio | May 12, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

FC Dallas got Ricardinho and Andre ROcha from their partnership with Club Atletico Paranese.

And well..we could have signed Cezar from Atletico Minero....but we didn't.

Posted by: Well...Partnerships.. | May 12, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Tried that with Cerritos and Quintanilla. Didn't work then, won't work now.

Posted by: HulkHogan | May 12, 2008 2:56 PM
-----------------------------------------
Of course it didnt work, it was DC's front office solution for a quick fix. But i do agree that we just need to be more cohesive in examining talent from more than just two countries of latin america/the rest of the world. This season just doesnt convince me at all with the new players and what not. There are a few true position players such as gallardo, the center backs and fred on the (either wing) but the rest are playing two many roles and not understanding each others game play well.

DC has major re-construction to do.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | May 12, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I knew this wsas going to happen a while ago, but i truthfully dont see much coming of the Bolivar/DC United partnership, both sides are going through bad times, both sides tried to go all out and buy too many foreign players to improve play but so far has proven to be somewhat of a failiure.

Hopefully both sides can get together and address issues and learn from each others mistakes.

Personally i would love to see Botero come in for Moreno or Emilio, or Pachi loaned to play on our wing.

Any other Bolivaristas have similar thoughts?

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | May 12, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

screw botero and pachi, bring Martins! (moreno)

Posted by: koolcaio | May 12, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Nice punch line tri-village.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 12, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Brian Carroll. DCU fans remember him, right?

umm yea..wasn't he the one that made Simms look like elmo playing soccer?

its really amazing DCU let him go and kept such a stellar player as simms - dumb da dumb dumb

Posted by: bobf | May 12, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Last year at this time many folks were on here ranting about how Carroll stunk (esp after the RSL game where unmarked Beckerman hit a laser from like 35 yards out), and Soehn should sit him and bring on Simms.

Posted by: Old WNT Fan | May 12, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

screw botero and pachi, bring Martins! (moreno)

Posted by: koolcaio | May 12, 2008 4:40 PM
____________________________________________

i WISH!!

His transfer fee is getting CRAZY High, and is rumored to go to Man United, Fiorentina, Real Madrid,etc! Big big clubs! I wish DC could even get their hands on him for a loan or something but that would never ever happen until say 10years from now! LOL

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | May 12, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

The Carroll I saw was dreadful. Maybe he had lasik?

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 12, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I always thought Carroll was a better DM in Nowak's 3-5-2, but Simms better in a 4-back system.

Posted by: B.A. | May 12, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

B.A. nails it. Carroll does well in a 5 man midfield when paired with a hard-running, all-action type of player. Ben Olsen was his partner under Nowak, and he had his best seasons. Adam Moffat plays a similar game(though on a lower level than Benny). In a 4 man midfield, Carroll has to get stuck in, while he would much prefer to intercept passes and generally play a more elegant version of the position (which did not work for us).

On RFK announcing:

The English-language announcer mispronounces United names on a weekly basis. I would prefer the Spanish-langauge announcer (who has filled in on occasion), since he almost never screws up.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | May 12, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Goff, any idea if the press conference is open to the public?

And is there any kind of dress code if it is? Will you be attending?

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | May 12, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Goff, could we get an injury update? Here's to hoping Fred and McTavish are back on the wings in LA this weekend.

Posted by: Joe S. | May 13, 2008 6:42 AM | Report abuse

any idea if the press conference is open to the public?

And is there any kind of dress code if it is? Will you be attending?
-------
It's being held at a restaurant, of all places, so I'm assuming anyone could attend. I will not. (If this had any news value, it would've been held at RFK during the day.)

Posted by: Goff | May 13, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

"The key to Columbus's 6-1 start? Schelotto? Rogers? Perhaps Brian Carroll. DCU fans remember him, right? "

yes insert Carroll for Simms and United would be much better in my opinion. Weak midfield play is killing United. Carroll would actually link with the offense after winning a ball. Simms just lobs the long ball to nobody or sends a 10 ft square to whomever is nearest or at worst will pass directly to the opposition.

Posted by: glove | May 13, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

The midfield is FUBAR right now. Much like the striker play. The only unit worth much of anything is the back three, but they are too easily shifted for backside attacks and need to be flat four. The midfield and strikers crowd together to such an extent that there's actually very little space for runs or service. It's a congested mess. If you're going to have 5 mids, might as well at least spread the field. The opposition should sure as hell spread the field wide versus DC's back 3. Chicago could've scored five, had they any sense.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 13, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Lets be honest...does anyone actually care enough about the U.S. Women's team to actually pronounce their names correctly? 10,000 people at RFK doesn't really jump up and scream "WOW". When the women start bringing out 20,000 plus to games, then maybe the announcer will actually do his homework. As for RFK....it's the "U.S. Women"...time to take a nap for the evening....enough said.

Posted by: JC | May 13, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

=========================================

Huh??? In my job I help crank out publications that are read by many thousands of people, as well as some that are read my far fewer people. I never know in advance how many people will eventually read any particular thing I'm working on, and quite frankly, I don't care. I try to do my best at all times. That's what being a professional is all about.

I would like to see an announcer at an event at a Division II or III school tell his/her audiences that only fans who attend games at the large state university down the road should expect competent announcing.

Posted by: tri-village | May 13, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse