Das Auto: VW and DCU

[updated with news conference details]

D.C. United has finalized a five-year deal valued in excess of $14 million with Volkswagen for the international automaker to become the club's primary sponsor, sources familiar with the negotiations said today. DCU officials declined comment.

It is the second-richest pact between an MLS team and a sponsor in league history, behind Herbalife's deal with the Los Angeles Galaxy, which is worth at least $4 million per year. (The figures reported by online news groups last week of DCU receiving between $3.1 million and $3.7 million were inaccurate. United will earn at least $2.8 million.) VW will also become an MLS sponsor for at least one year.

United is the ninth MLS team to have a corporate logo splashed on the front of its jersey. The players will debut the new uniform Thursday night against the Chicago Fire at RFK Stadium.

When United wears white shirts, the VW logo will be black. When DCU is wearing black, the logo will be white. The three stripes, which were present on the jersey for years and removed this spring in anticipation of a sponsorship deal, will not return.

Volkswagen will have signage inside and outside the stadium, sponsor events in the parking lots and have an elaborate interactive area behind the north goal inside RFK.

UPDATE -- DCU has just scheduled a news conference:

D.C. United will hold a press conference Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. to announce the club's new presenting partner. D.C. United Co-managing Partner Victor MacFarlane, President and CEO Kevin Payne, Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber, and executives from United's new partner will address members of the media in the VIP Room on the fourth floor of RFK Stadium.

By Steve Goff  |  May 5, 2008; 2:03 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spain, Italy, Argentina
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Will the electrical system at RFK now randomly crap out for no logical reason in the middle of the game?

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 5, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

They could have kept the 3 stripes and put the VW logo over it, just like River Plate does with their jersey. I'm just saying!!!!!

Posted by: DC United Fan | May 5, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chris | May 5, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 5, 2008 2:14 PM

Very funny. I have first-hand knowledge of said VW-associated problem.

The real question, Mr. Goff, is what's going on down there in Argentina?

Posted by: chuckles | May 5, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff,

Thanks for the update.

I've learned that I should wait to get the "straight dope" from you before forming opinions about matters concerning DCU.

That's a nice long sponsorship deal, which should do wonders for United's bottom line.

Posted by: DCUInWheaton | May 5, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I suggest an immediate scouting trip to Germany for KP, TS and DK. We need some neu blut around RFK!

Posted by: grotus | May 5, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

What? No Pollo Campero with the goofy chicken? Perhaps they'll save that for the road uniforms . . .

Posted by: Section 304 | May 5, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Thank jebus we can finally be rid the yearlong effing "what's up with the sponsor" posts!

Posted by: edgeonyou | May 5, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Who's going to be the first to own the Official DC United supporter's car? It will be in black of course . . .

Posted by: delantero | May 5, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I bet the price of the sponsorship went down from the $3.7 range after that horid performance on Sunday.

Posted by: TCompton | May 5, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Volkswagen can help DC United pay for decent players!!!!!

Posted by: DC United Fan wearing bag in his face!!! | May 5, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Goff is the man, plain and simple. Journalistic integrity and an accurate story everytime. No mis-reported figures about the deal, etc. Nothing else needs to be said, great work as always Goff.

Posted by: strago | May 5, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

So is that huge Nissan ad on the east side of RFK as you approach from East Capital Street coming down?

Posted by: BK | May 5, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Time for a friendly with VfL Wolfsburg, the VW hometown team. Maybe we can borrow a few of their players?

Posted by: SSMD | May 5, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Volkswagen can help DC United pay for decent players!!!!!

Posted by: DC United Fan wearing bag in his face!!! | May 5, 2008 2:36 PM

We have decent players. Very good players, actually, and will win a trophy this year. MLS is a roller coaster. If you're looking for year-long form, the same thing week after week, that's England. In MLS every game is a new season. Look back and get some history before you post just silly stuff like this.

Posted by: Look How you Sound | May 5, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

With the way United is sputtering and crapping out, Yugo would have been a more likely sponsor...or Preparation H, if they keep getting blanked...

Posted by: Erick | May 5, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

We're finally a real football club! Now Europeans won't laugh at us!

Posted by: Sharp | May 5, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Contract stipulation: players to return home from road losses via Microbus.

Posted by: Divers Wanted. | May 5, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

@TCompton

Then that was bad business on VW's part, because at the rate we're going, all they had to do was wait it out a few weeks and they could have brought the annual payments down much more.

Now's the time to use that DP slot - let's see 2.8 per year, so give...

Palermo 1 and pocket 1.8
OR speedy talent youngster 1.2 and pocket 1.6
OR European winger 1.5 and pocket 1.3
OR Veron 1.8 and pocket 1
OR give Riquelme 2 and pocket .8
OR give 3 to THX 14 and be in the hole for .2
OR we can just trade the damn thing to Chivas, get Galindo and Nagamura...and Preki? and pocket the CA$H!

Posted by: Kosh | May 5, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

"An elaborate interactive area behind the north goal inside RFK."

We have that already.

It's called "La Norte."

SOOOOOOOOOOOOY NORTENOOOOOOOOOOO!
SOOOOOOOOOOOOY NORTENOOOOOOOOOOO!
NORTENOOOOOO! SOY YOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: ROFL! | May 5, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

And in other news, VW has changed their ad slogans to fit DC United

"Fahrvergnügen" now is: Fahrfromgroovy
"Drivers wanted" now is: Players Wanted
"Think Small" now is: Play Small
"If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen" now is: If Only Everything In Life Were as Reliable as a DC United Road Loss

Posted by: JonInVB | May 5, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

One more thing that can increase my credit card debt.

Posted by: td | May 5, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

just as long as the VW logo looks good, and not cheap/low rent. I hope they either turn the blue in the VW logo red or just leave it blue, that would look sharp on the black jersey.

Posted by: steve-o | May 5, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

One more thing that can increase my credit card debt.

Posted by: td | May 5, 2008 3:06 PM
===========

Sign then Wear.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 5, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"Drivers wanted" now is: Players Wanted
----------------------
Just so it doesn't morph into 'Divers Wanted'

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 5, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Goff, thanks for the "real" story on the sponsorship.

Now if we can ever get the stadium deal done we won't have any topics to ask you about repeatedly on every thread.

Posted by: GoldenChild | May 5, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Volkswagen can help DC United pay for decent players!!!!!

Posted by: DC United Fan wearing bag in his face!!! | May 5, 2008 2:36 PM

Hey hombre, please refrain from using DC United Fan, as that is my blog identity, and I do not want people confusing mewith somebody else. Gracias!!!

Posted by: DC United Fan | May 5, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks Riquelme or Henry are coming to DCU (or MLS) is smoking more crack than the Mayor-For-Life.

Enjoy Wonderland, Alice.

Posted by: Reality | May 5, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I am happy to see that the blue will not be in the middle of the logo, but a little freightened about the elaborate interactive whatever...

Posted by: jgildea | May 5, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Tooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Tor! Tor! Tor!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BigWave | May 5, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Let me frame this question as it applies to a small minority of fans and is not meant to indict the present company leadership, DC United itself or the League. I have seen this flame out on other boards with some very distateful attempts at humor and commentary on German history, but I think there is a backstory that needs to be brought up so we can all move forward. I am sorry if this question angers or frustrates you. I know this is a third rail, but I have talked to a number of people who are uneasy about this.

Is it FAIR to even discuss that someone might not want to purchase any DC United merchandise with a VW logo because of its historical association with the 1930's leadership of Germany?

Posted by: AM | May 5, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@ Reality

Hey you forgot to add the words "right now" or "at this moment" to your snapy comeback. OR does your reality only deal with absolutes?

Nice comeback though :)

Posted by: Kosh | May 5, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the addition of a sponsor logo is enough to counteract the curse created by removing the stripes.

Posted by: Kenobi | May 5, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Just so it doesn't morph into 'Divers Wanted'

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 5, 2008 3:18 PM

------------

We already got one Diver...his name is Franco Niell. I know he's small, but man, that guy falls down when the wind blows!

Posted by: DE | May 5, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

The press conference is Tuesday, May 5???

Posted by: DCU-ATL | May 5, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Can we get Basian Schweinsteiger as a designated player now? I just like saying his name.

Posted by: Oh Susanna | May 5, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

AM:

sure, it's fair. but the number of people that applies to are really pretty small. Corporations change and adapt, VW is hardly the same company as it was back in that day. I can come up with a perfectly good reason why someone will refuse to buy a jersey with pretty much ANY company on it. So at some point you have to simply take a deal.

Posted by: northzax | May 5, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@AM

Why stop there? I'm still boycotting England for the Stamp Act!

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 5, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

@ nothzax

Yeah like "Herb-A-Life" (darn hippies) :)

Posted by: Kosh | May 5, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

AM: you might want to avoid Ford, as well.

Posted by: RK | May 5, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Now that we have VW as our sponsor we can announce that we are moving into brand new Ford stadium!

Right Fire fans?

I'm still boycotting French Toast, French Fries and French wine until they support our invasion of Vietnam and Iraq!

Posted by: Rebel | May 5, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Off topic: saw 5 players from the USWNT in Georgetown yesterday afternoon. For anyone worrying, take it easy - they were all out for a run. Don't follow women's much at all so have no idea who they were, but it was still very interesting.

Posted by: Kyle | May 5, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Volkswagen (People's Car) was indeed the brain child of Hitler. However, as far as I know the company only produced domestic cars. Mercedes and BMW, on the other hand, manufactured engines for tanks and aircraft (one can see in this town how much their history has hurt them). So, it is fair question, but a little extreme.

Posted by: A Hardwick | May 5, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Must have meant Tuesday, May 6

Posted by: BK | May 5, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Comparing players to cars, would Niell be the VW bug?

He's about the right size and is always on the ground.

Posted by: Rick in Ashburn | May 5, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the replies. It's something I have thought about for a while now and struggled with. And yes, well aware of Ford's open-mindeness. Saw that documentary.

I will just wear an older DC jersey so I can support the club.

Posted by: AM | May 5, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

AM: Personally...I just don't like being a walking billboard...

Posted by: RK | May 5, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

da da da.

Posted by: stairs | May 5, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

AM, look into the sympathies of the Dasler brother who started Puma as well. He and his brother Adi split over their political sympathies during that era, according to one telling of the story.

I find these kinds of things to be historically interest, but that is all.

Posted by: JkR | May 5, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

@AM - might want to re-think the older DCU jersey idea because of Adolf Dassler's (adidas' founder) ties with being a Nazi. Though apparently not as fervent a supporter as his brother Rudolph (Puma founder), there is a connection.

@RK - out of curiousity, to avoid being a "walking billboard", do you just wear a plain black t-shirt to games to support the team?

Posted by: apqjr | May 5, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't go to games (since I don't live in DC), and I don't wear jerseys. I do have a jersey circa 2000, though...never worn it to a game.

Posted by: RK | May 5, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

so for those of us who purchased blank jerseys can we get the log put on them?

Posted by: owendylan | May 5, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I can understand wanting to wear a DCU (or whatever team) jersey to a game, but I just don't understand this excitement to be the first one to purchase one that has a giant logo on the front.

Posted by: RK | May 5, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

it is time to unpimp zee auto!!

a lot of the medicine we use today are from direct results of human experimentation during the holocaust, performed by none other than bayer, the one being touted on tv by the extreme makeover: home edition host, and who owns/sponsors bayer leverkusen in the bundesliga

Posted by: dcgounitedgodc | May 5, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Can we use the DP money on a new coach?

Posted by: peridigm | May 5, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention that both Dasler brothers were Nazi party members (and Rudolf was drafted into the army and blamed his brother, even accusing Adi of assisting the Nazis). Anyone who is touchy enough not to wear a DC United jersey because VW is the sponsor, probably shouldn't be wearing an adidas uniform in the first place.

Although adidas wasn't officially founded as a brand name until 1949 and did not utilize slave labor during the war like VW, so I admit the comparison isn't completely apt.

JkR, if you're interested there is actually a new book about the brothers called "Sneaker Wars".

Posted by: Ricky B | May 5, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Bayer, creator of heroin.

Posted by: RK | May 5, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I cant wait to buy the new Volkswagen jersey!

Posted by: YESH! | May 5, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Can we now park one of those 70's VW hippy vans infront of our goal to help Zack Wells out a little bit?

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | May 5, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm boycotting myself for being too hard on Fred. Consider me chastised -- the man's gotta be hurt, and my ragging him wasn't right.

I'm no longer sleeping in a Holiday Inn Express, and I'm giving up on HOUSE re-runs on TBS.

BTW... LeesburgSoccerFan, that was a laugh-out-loud funny post.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 5, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

@RK,

Not being a jerk or anything here - but do you go out of your way to buy plain knit shirts, sweaters, jeans, etc? How far do you take your deep seeded averse desire of logos and marketing?

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 5, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Actually...yeah, I do avoid logos etc:)

My previous post will probably clear it up a bit -- if you've got a DCU jersey now, why would you want one with a big logo on it? (I should've been clearer, but this entire affair has been dragging on quite a bit!).

Posted by: RK | May 5, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

So do you not buy Bayer aspirin because of the company's past connection with Zyklon B, mustard gas and heroin?

or Toyota's truck production for the Imperial Japanese Army.

General Motors knowingly produced armaments for Axis powers under their Opel subsidiary.

The list of leading companies with "questionable" pasts can go on and on.

Posted by: Tweaked | May 5, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

personally, I am not thrilled about a shirt sponsor, since I wish we were rich enough to be like Barca and just say screw it.

but we aren't. I want my team to be better, and I know that money is going to come from one of three places: TV rights, Corporate Sponsors, my season tickets. if we can have a better team without raising my prices to pay for it, I will wear an ad.

Posted by: northzax | May 5, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh, sure, I love the fact that DCU has a sponsor, will be getting more $$$, and it will even match well with kit -- didn't the Fire used to have a yellow Best Buy logo across the front (I just looked it up, and it is on white now).

Posted by: RK | May 5, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: apqjr | May 5, 2008 4:37 PM
========================

RK's T-shirts were so offensive that his wife just buys plain black for him now - Smell the Glove (google it kids).

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 5, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Oh Susanna | May 5, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Like I saw in a previous thread -- I can see the new DCU bumper stickers now: the Fahrvergnuegen stick-figure guy with a soccer ball in front of it.

At least DCU has a highly recognizable jersey sponsor -- I still find myself occasionally having to explain to the unwashed and unsanctified just who Herbalife is, and why their name is plastered across my chest. "Who are the LA Herbalifes?"

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 5, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

"An elaborate interactive area behind the north goal inside RFK."

We have that already.

It's called "La Norte."

SOOOOOOOOOOOOY NORTENOOOOOOOOOOO!
SOOOOOOOOOOOOY NORTENOOOOOOOOOOO!
NORTENOOOOOO! SOY YOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: ROFL! | May 5, 2008 2:51 PM

This was just too funny la norte is not an interactive area its a whole bunch of drunk guys screaming that no one notices! hahahaha come on ROLF wake up and smell the grass!!

Posted by: LMAO | May 5, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

DC United Fan and DC United Fan, please refrain from using my blog name. I am DC United Fan. Actually, so is the guy next to me at the stadium. And I think the gal on his other side is too. But they don't blog. And coming to think of it, the person behind.....

Posted by: DC United Fan | May 5, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we can get Gomez back with the extra money.

Posted by: Tommie | May 5, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
Only 8 teams have official sponsors: Chicago, LA, RSL, Houston, CUSA, Columbus, TFC, and DC. I have yet to read anything that says Red Bull paid themselves to plaster their logo on the front of the NY jersey.

Posted by: Jason | May 5, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

what if there will be a surprise DCU stadium deal announcment tomorrow at the press conference? That would be a double header. Can't wait to buy an authentic DCU new jersey.

Posted by: arlington for United | May 5, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

AM,

Good question about VW. Personally, it's going to take some thinking and some discussion with those in my family who were personally affected before I can make a decision.

Posted by: Curious | May 5, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Joe Doc. Good humor is usually rooted in the truth. Anyone who's ever had a vw/audi in the 80's or 90's can now laugh at the gremlins, instead of cussing at them on the side of the road waiting for a tow because they turned on their windshield wipers when it started to rain. (second generation Scirocco)

I'm with RK on the whole logo thing. Unless someone is paying me to advertise for them, I'm logo free. No logo for car dealerships on my car; no brand logo on the outside of clothes if possible, or only if it is VERY inconspicuous. Most logo splashing is for those finding comfort in conformity to a larger group. I'm perfectly OK being atypical. Most of the truly high quality merchandise isn't covered in logos anyway.

Now if DC United/VW want to incentivize me appropriately for wearing a jersey, I'll don it. Otherwise, I think the whole thing about a sponsor is pretty irrelevant.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 5, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

What I really want to know is:

Now that we have all this extra money, what are we going to do with it? The salary cap means it won't really affect the players we can get. So how will it improve the fan experience (promotions or lower prices or something?) or the team (better scouts or training facilities?)?

Posted by: Hmm... | May 5, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Mark my word: There would be a better DP striker in the near future with this money. Possibly more commercials promoting DCU.

Posted by: td | May 5, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Who's to say that this sponsor money isn't already paying for a DP -- Gallardo?

Posted by: RK | May 5, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Possibly more commercials promoting DCU.

Posted by: td | May 5, 2008 8:20 PM

----------------------------------

The only way I see DC United attracting more fans is buy getting a well recognized player to play for us, If they do decide to use the money on commercials promoting DCU, then i think it will be a waste of money.

Posted by: Luis | May 5, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

"An elaborate interactive area behind the north goal inside RFK."

We have that already.

It's called "La Norte."

SOOOOOOOOOOOOY NORTENOOOOOOOOOOO!
SOOOOOOOOOOOOY NORTENOOOOOOOOOOO!
NORTENOOOOOO! SOY YOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: ROFL! | May 5, 2008 2:51 PM

Posted by: LMAO | May 5,

Looks like a barra member undercover is feeling threatened that there name has not been mentioned....CAll LA NORTE what you want but they are not sell outs..call me what you want to because I always take my 8 year old girls there to play there drum and I seem to miss the drunks that you talk about, if I recall correctly it seems that last time I was in barra everyone was either drunk or high.

Posted by: dc fan | May 5, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

well, seeing where the club has been bleeding money since day 1, I'd suggest that this sponsorship money will likely go into the general fund to offset things like renting RFK and paying the bills we already have. Those of you spending it to buy new players need to realize that we haven't got cap space at this point to add another DP anyway.

Posted by: Glenn | May 5, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Glenn: you are probably right. DCU has been losing money. But they are still comitted to stay in DC and work out the stadium deal. Since Ben's situation is not certain we may have some cap space opens up and possibily get rid of Emilio or Peralta (I think sometimes he is good but I am afried he is too slow specially when he faces fast past strikers) and make room for a higly recognized or speedy striker with good scoring skills.

Posted by: td | May 5, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Glenn | May 5, 2008 9:22 PM

DP's don't count against the MLS imposed salary cap.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

DPs do count against the salary cap...but only $325K of the player's salary.

Posted by: DE | May 5, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

AM - You're right to point it out. There's a lot of flippant ignorance here from people who don't appreciate that this IS an issue for some people. My parents, for example -- have never, and would never consider buying a German car -- perhaps especially not a VW, though Mercedes doesn't get a pass on that either.

To ask why this company and that company missed the point. These are individual decisions of conscience. You can't argue with another person on such decisions and suggest they're being hypocritical. That gets you nowhere and just suggests your own lack of understanding.

To be honest, I don't how I feel about it -- there aren't too many companies that I'd be thrilled to walk around with their names plastered on my chest, but VW means a bigger river to cross for me. I may yet buy a new jersey, if the team starts playing well enough to put me in the mood, but I'll have to think hard on it. And, I seriously doubt that I would wear it outside of going to a game. So, VW might not be getting the mileage that another company might.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 5, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I think it only applies up to the remaining amount of budget. So, if we had, say, $100k left on our budget and hire a guy for 1.1m, then $100k goes to cap and the rest comes out of the pocket of the team.

Posted by: Section 107 | May 5, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Just curious what people would think if the National Team sold advertising space on it's jersey. A big Wal-Mart plastered across the chest or something like that. Do the same arguments hold? Keeps tix lower? Helps my team be better? All that?
Or if in the World Cup each and every team had to wear "The Official Credit Card of the World Cup, VISA" on the shirt and shorts?
Me, I don't like the whole corporate sponsor thing. Charge me another 5 or 10 bucks please.

Posted by: marksman | May 5, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

As for spending the VW money --- most of us do understand that cap room issue. Actually, I believe the cap hit is currently $450,000 -- for a full season anyway (unless I'm just confusing that with the portion that MLS covers). DCU will clear some cap room should Olsen shut it down for the season, and it's getting increasingly likely that DCU will be shopping Emilio's contract around, after the end of the seasons down south, next month.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 5, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Anyone from the Barra has chutzpah in calling out La Norte as drunks. The Barra is the one singing about defecating on the other team's fans, and flips off the referees while chanting the "f" word. La Norte is far better behaved.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Yo all you dorks rimmin' about the good old days dribblin' round in yer jock mobiles in the "80's&90's" STFU!!!!
JD I normally dig where you are coming from but you are a kook when it comes to yer opinion on fred.
I really doubt he'd not be travelin' if he weren't hurt.
You know that, right? Hence your Boycott...
United is sucking Dilbags I agree.
A bunch of nerds trying to one up each other on sneaker history let alone Nazi history is really out there guys.
Even for me.
STFU

Posted by: Dadryan | May 6, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

One Less CAR!

Posted by: Dadryan | May 6, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Don't mind my brother..
He's crazy/\
Give Berth to Cyclists...
I bet people in Toronto are riding their bicylcles to the games...

Posted by: Madryan | May 6, 2008 12:35 AM | Report abuse

When will the new jerseys be available for sale to the public? Or would it be safe to assume that's one of the things that will be discussed at the press conference?

Posted by: Juan-John | May 6, 2008 12:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm curious if those who are complaining about VW as a corporate sponsor also boycott Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, etc.

Just sayin...

My reaction to silly over-reactions, like those being illustrated here, is to simply take it up a notch.

You don't eat meat and don't think others should?

I'm going to eat a 10oz filet mignon for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

You're still butt-hurt about VW's history?

I'm going to get a new sponsor-laden jersey, with match VW headband, wristbands, custom Adidas Shelltoes with VW logos on the tongue, etc.

C'est la vie.

Posted by: AlecW81 | May 6, 2008 2:13 AM | Report abuse

I was pretty sure Chicago is getting over $3 million for the Best Buy deal. (though I think that is only for 4 yeaers) so I guess in total money DC's is bigger, but per annum they aren't.

It's good for the league to have more revenue flowing in though...now if they would just allow them to use those sponsorship deals towards the cap.

Posted by: accountant | May 6, 2008 5:31 AM | Report abuse

I find it a shame that the team has sacrificed it's traditional uniform with the 3 stripes. The sponsorship deal with VW is great and is necessary and vital. But could the VW logo not be included without the sacrifice of the traditional 3 stripes?

Posted by: rob | May 6, 2008 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 5, 2008 7:29 PM
-----------------------------
Sure, if you call $14M "pretty irrelevant!" What you gain personally, the incentive for you, is that your favorite sports team has gained an economic advantage over all but one team in its league, which it can use to leverage player talent, an improved stadium, or any of a number of other amenities that directly effect you, the fan. Think big-picture, my friend!

Posted by: schmuckatelli | May 6, 2008 7:13 AM | Report abuse

there use to be a link to a jersey with the vw on it does anyone still have it?????

Posted by: chris | May 6, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

The article states:
United will become the ninth of the current 14 MLS teams to have a corporate insignia splashed on the front of its jersey, a common practice in international soccer but not in U.S. pro leagues

I think the phrase "international soccer" should be replaced with "international club soccer" as I am not certain if FIFA permits national teams in "international competition" to have a jersey sponsor (other than the maker of the jersey).

Posted by: Club v country | May 6, 2008 7:42 AM | Report abuse

@ Club v Country

On the competition shirt, you're right. However, Eircom has come on the Replicas for the Republic of Ireland for a few years and corporate logos have begun to creep in on more than a few national team training gear (US, England, Ireland, I think Mexico, and probably Brazil).

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 6, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Right, I can understand training and replica gear having logos.

But for competition, I think Fifa does have a prohibition against jersey advertising (and maker's logos must be under a certain size).

I'm unaware of "club" jersey sponsor restrictions from FIFA, but I imagine each league has limits to what can and can not be placed on the competition jerseys/shorts/socks.

Just thought the wording in Goff's "print edition" article on the subject was a bit confusing/inaccurate (without the "club" descriptor).

Posted by: Club v country | May 6, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Do USL teams have jersey sponsors?

Posted by: Lower division question | May 6, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Pretty sure USL teams have sponsors.

Random fact - Celtic and Rangers must have the same sponsors each year.

And I'm also pretty sure that beer companies are not allowed to advertise in certain countries (Rangers w/o a logo while playing in France).

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 6, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Hey, don't mention the war!

Posted by: Not a fan of AM | May 6, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Anyone happy about this sponsor? I AM!!! VW is one of the cooler logos on team jerseys.

Posted by: Felix | May 6, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

DCU's official blog, Behind the Badge has photos of players in the new jersey

Posted by: Tweaked | May 6, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

* The 3 stripes are traditional only in the sense that they are part of the Adidas brand (Die Marke mit den drei Streifen). They do not belong to DC United.

* USL teams have jersey sponsors, e.g. Minnesota Thunder. No, they didn't buy their jerseys at Target).

* VW was #8 in sales in Israel in 2006. My wife and I are Gentiles, but she refuses to ever buy a VW because of their WWII atrocities. Her Jewish co-worker, OTOH, whose grandfather fought the Nazis, drives an Audi. It's an interesting discussion, but ultimately a personal decision, as is this:

What Would Moses Drive:

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 6, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

best thing to happen since sliced bread

Posted by: Chris | May 6, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Chicago's was a 5-year deal valued at at least at $3.5 million/yr. So DC would be third.

Posted by: Sal | May 6, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Long time Earthquakes fan, VW collector/enthusiast, and Montgomery County, MD school system product.

I'm not gonna fake like I am a DCU supporter, but I am buying one of those jerseys solely because of the new VDub logo.

FYI, I've always held DCU in the highest regard when it came to the standard at which American Soccer should be played.

And for the VW-WWII protestors, give it a rest already. You're not being virtuous, you're being silly and that's what everyone will think when they hear your explanation.

Posted by: evade | May 8, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse