DCU Updates

As always on the day before a match, the meaningful portion of training was closed, so no eyewitness reports of formations, tactics, form, etc.

In interviews after training, many of the players voiced their support for Coach Tom Soehn, who has been blamed for much of the club's early-season problems. I will explore this topic at greater length in Saturday's print edition story (available online at washingtonpost.com late tonight).

Looking back to Wednesday in Toronto and looking ahead to tomorrow against Toronto, Soehn said: "Our performance was much better, and if you do that consistently, you are going to get your results. We were a bit unlucky, but that's soccer. If you are doing that in the midst of a win streak, you can settle for that, but right now, it's not. We're done talking. We need to execute. We know what we need to do to do that."

Injury update: MF Rod Dyachenko, who did not play in the reserve match yesterday, has a hip flexor injury, and MF Dan Stratford left the reserve game midway through the first half with a knock on the ankle. Both practiced today. D Jeff Curtin (Georgetown) is facing the possibility of a fourth groin operation and might call it a career soon.

FYI: Sunday's scheduled reserve game at the RFK training grounds has been postponed, apparently because of TFC's upcoming Champions League qualifying schedule.

What do opposing players think of TFC strongman Danny Dichio, who not only scored the lone goal Wednesday but tormented DCU with his physical presence?

Devon McTavish got beaten by Dichio on the goal and had a confrontation or two with him later in Wednesday's match.

"It was nothing. It was just bickering back and forth," he said. "He's a force. He's tough to deal with. He's big and he knows how to use it."

He gets under your skin, doesn't he?

"He did that for a little bit, yeah. ... He doesn't really know where all of his limbs are going all the time. That stuff gets on your nerves a little bit, but that's just the way he plays."

Added Santino Quaranta: "I wasn't a big fan of him in the beginning, but I'll tell you what: He's a big guy, he battles and he's strong. He works hard and he's good for your team. He's not the most talented in the sense that he knows his role on the team and does well with it. We were talking after the game and some guys were bashing him and I said, 'Listen, he did his job for his team and I respect that.' "

Another line from the self-deprecating McTavish. Commenting on his fitness level after missing four games: "My feet weren't under me for the first 85 minutes of the game and then I got pulled in the 86th," he said. "It is kind of hard to step in when you've been out for five weeks. I tried as hard as I could, but considering the turf and the wet field, it was kind of a struggle for me."

So whatcha think? DCU turns it around tomorrow and embarks on a eight-game winning streak? Or the problems continue?

By Steve Goff  |  May 23, 2008; 12:08 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Friday Night Lights

Comments

I think DC wins ugly, but doesn't turn anything around.

Posted by: EdTheRed | May 23, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Definetly an 8 game win streak....this can't lat forever.

Vamos United!!

Posted by: Smitty | May 23, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Don't know about the 8-game winning streak, but I predict a good win tomorrow. And a great crowd.

Streaming Eagles!

(My apologies to the real SE's).

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 23, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I think DC wins 2-1, looks good for about 60 minutes, lets in a goal and makes us all sweat a bit.

I thought they looked significantly better in Toronto. I think we'll see continued improvement tomorrow.

Posted by: GoNYforDCU | May 23, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Rebuilding Year.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | May 23, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: apqjr | May 23, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I thought McT played better as the game went on. Lighten up Devon...

Dichio battles for the shirt, no doubt. But it's up to the CR to make sure he does so fairly and within the rules. I thought the CR failed in that regard the other night. But the CR's failings are not Dichio's failings. He's good for his team.

Posted by: JkR | May 23, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

"D Jeff Curtin (Georgetown) is facing the possibility of a fourth groin operation and might call it a career soon."

Couple this with Gros's retirement and Ben's almost sure retirement and this Volkswagon is beginning to look a lot like a Yugo.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

There is no way we win. I see 2-0 result. As been stated by numerous posts, the team lacks the flair, creativity, and passion of past DC United teams. I feel like the biggest has to be Emilio. Who goes from scoring 20 goals to not even scoring. Until this team figures out how to score, and defend we will be bottom dwellers for the season.

Posted by: I'm Just Saying | May 23, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I'll take 0-0 tie at the moment. Our defense needs a shutout in the worst way.

Posted by: apqjr | May 23, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

At this moment, you do, indeed, have a 0-0 tie.

:-)

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 23, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

DCU gut's out a win and starts a turnaround.

Posted by: JMR | May 23, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

We win tomorrow 2-1. If the soccer God's truly loved me we would lose and Soehn would be gone. But let's face it, I've never been that lucky.

Posted by: N. Daknow | May 23, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I'm Just Saying | May 23, 2008 12:40 PM

===================

Lighten up, Eeyore, you're bumming us all out...

Posted by: JkR | May 23, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I think we win tomorrow but not convincingly. It won't be good enough to say we've turned the corner, but it won't be bad enough to call for anyone's head just yet. Another month or two of muddling through is my guess.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Fred will 2.

Posted by: moreno4prez | May 23, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I mean Fred will score 2.

Posted by: moreno4prez | May 23, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I predict a DC win. They're not THIS bad, and Toronto aren't that good when they play away and can't stop corner kicks with fan interference.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 23, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

It is at home -- it won't be a loss.

Posted by: RK | May 23, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

No good will come until Payne leaves.

Posted by: Hopeless | May 23, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I still think Toronto is a crap team..and since we are also...I'll pick the home team by an dicko own goal.

PS: DC fans...PLEASE, PLEASE pelt the Toronto corner kick takers with rolls of toilet paper...then we'll see how funny it is...

Posted by: Matt Y | May 23, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

WO! MJ predicts a DC win?!?

Posted by: RK | May 23, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I think we draw 1-1. An improvement, but certainly not a great game.

I certainly don't think that United can get a clean sheet yet.

Posted by: TCompton | May 23, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"I feel like the biggest has to be Emilio. Who goes from scoring 20 goals to not even scoring."

I was very ready last season to say Emilio is very slow for a striker. I'd like to see him up there with Neill or Doe.

But remember Emilio was pretty crummy last year before the weather warmed up.

Posted by: GoNYforDCU | May 23, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I predict blood. and vindication of sorts.

And, god willing, La Norte pummeling TFC players with streamers on corner kicks.

Posted by: d, dc | May 23, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

DC United will continue its losing streak to make a record in the MLS.

Posted by: Devil's Advocate | May 23, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I love me making boat loads of money and using up a DP slot.

Go me!!

Oh yeah, and go United too.

Posted by: Emilio | May 23, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I know we have a lot of losses but out west the best has 4 wins?
This season may just be getting started. Here's to showing Toronto what a fluke they are!!!
Douchio is a strong guy, and I guess he's TFC's leading goal scorer with 2? Hopefully we dismantle them like the last time they visited.
United has been sucking but Toronto just Suck.

Posted by: Dadryan | May 23, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I predict blood. and vindication of sorts.

Posted by: d, dc | May 23, 2008 1:06 PM
******************************************

Hopefully instead of streamers, it'll be car keys, house keys, the Florida Keys, 2x4's, cinder blocks, javelins, Cystal Skulls (yes I did just see Indy 4).

Maybe we can get the rowdy teens from Dazed and Confused to hunt down TFC on Friday night and smack em all upside their backsides with paddles.

Posted by: McGruff | May 23, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc you're on a roll today, 2 laughs already. Hope this returns the favor.

Posted by: Old WNT Fan | May 23, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Indy 4... any good?

Posted by: d, dc | May 23, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I've seen people get sent off for what Dichio did to Simms before the goal was scored. He lunged into a tackle leading with his forearm and hit Simms in the side of the head. That could have easily been a concussion. A couple of seasons ago, Juan Arango of Mallorca was hit with a more premeditated version of the same thing that left him with a fractured skull and in need of an immediate trip to the emergency room.

Dichio then had 3 more clear elbows to our players' heads. Sure, 2 of them hit Peralta fairly lightly, but the difference between a light elbow to the face and a broken jaw, broken nose, or cut face isn't much.

Dichio has tons of heart and bravery, and I'm sure if I was a TFC fan, I'd love him. However, as a fan with no real antipathy towards Toronto beyond having just lost to them, I see a guy who is going to hurt someone. By my count, Dichio should have been given 4 yellow cards Wednesday night, and I usually tend to think MLS referees are too quick to book people.

I disagree with JkR's point that it's the ref's fault and not Dichio's. Prus had a very poor game in that regard, but I can't see how Dichio throwing the first few elbows is the fault of anyone but Dichio. Prus gave him the opening to keep doing it, but that doesn't make it a clean or honorable way of playing.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | May 23, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Red Devil | May 23, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Ivory Coast U20 vs. USA U20

>>>

woo hoo ..we got a slow roller on goal..they look like dcu!

Posted by: mizage | May 23, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matt Y | May 23, 2008 12:57 PM
////////
No. We show them by good examples and classy fans and the best fans in MLS by not throwing anything on the feild or to the players. We not only cheer our team but also respect the opposing side. Sing loud, boo and wave flags.
=======
/////////
Why bother closing the practice? It's not like he came up with brilliant ideas to win the games thus far.

I wish the team best of luck but I sure don't hope DCU becomes Derby County of MLS.

Posted by: td | May 23, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

> WO! MJ predicts a DC win?!?

I say we all pitch in and buy him a jersey!
;)

I do see DC on the verge of a turnaround. Starters are healthy again, and this bad luck can't last forever. (Not saying it's all luck, by any means, but a little payback from the karma-bank sure couldn't hurt.)

Posted by: verse | May 23, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Indy 4... any good?

Posted by: d, dc | May 23, 2008 1:13 PM

******************************************

Better than I thought it would be. Take that for what it's worth.

Posted by: McGruff | May 23, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | May 23, 2008 1:13 PM

=============

I never said anything about 'Honor' or 'Fault'. It is the CR's responsibility to keep play fair and clean.

I agree with you that the CR had a poor night in that regard.

Posted by: JkR | May 23, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Ummm.. Start a player who has been out for 4 weeks with a foot injury (Mastabadon correct me if I'm wrong) in a position he hasn't played all season, on a wet artificial field and against the biggest goon forward in the league. Wow! One can only conclude it's that sort of brilliant tactical decision making that has DC UTD bottom of the league.

With bittersweet irony DC wins 2-1, this only serves to enable Soehn to linger until Mid-August, at which point DC is well out of MLS play-off contention. On the bright side they'll have several first round draft picks next year.

Posted by: BBB | May 23, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

You idiots calling for Paynes head need to check your own and realize:

1. If it were not for Payne this team would be called the Washington Revolution or Washington Spies.

2. If it were not for Payne we would not have had the great teams of the past

3. If it were not for Payne we would have had crappy uniforms and and an even worse game day experience.

4. If it were not for Payne the Barra Brava's very existance would have been undermined by security.

5. If it were not for Payne, chances are you would not be writing on this blog because it is unlikely DC United would have built the kind of following to support a dedicated blog at the Washington Post had the above 4 things happened.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

If it were not for Payne, we'd still have Gomez.

Posted by: Furthermore | May 23, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

FFS! Gomez has gone, that ship has sailed. Get over it.

Gomez had a chance to take a contract and he didn't BLAME GOMEZ NOT PAYNE.

Posted by: FFS | May 23, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I honestly think the Payne hate is one guy who lacks the stones to attach a consistent user name to his trollish drivel.

Posted by: JkR | May 23, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

This morning's Post reported that that other distinguished AU alum and football fan, movie critic Desson Thomson, has taken a buyout. Does anyone know where he is going next?

Posted by: tri-village | May 23, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hate to tell ya guy but our current, advertising jerseys are much worse than the 3-stripe across the front jerseys.

Posted by: Jersey guy | May 23, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

If he has done this gomez will be a star. If she has done that gomez will be a star.
If it has done this gomaz will be a star.

Posted by: gomez hater | May 23, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Players having to publicly state that they back their coach? Ouch! Thats the birthplace of the dreaded vote of confidence and the pucker for the Kiss of Death, boys and girls.

I hope (no I pray) that Soehn proves me wrong, because even SAF (Soehn is no SAF) was on the verge of being chased out of Old Trafford before he became their living legend. If Soehn's sitting on a nice hand that he magically flashes on the table to shut all of us naysayers up then fine I'll eat my crow raw and like it too - anything for the team. But, I just don't feel it. I have heard so much talk that I (and I am an optimist) don't even see a glass anymore. How I pray that I am so wrong.

As for tomorrow, I'll hold off any any predictions. When Carver decided to read from his Steve Nicol manual and shut that game down, we did not have any imagination on how to get behind that line (sans the Gallardo to Fred sitter - but I forgive him). If Carver bunkers up (or using his words "Spoils the game")? Homefield or not, it will be a nightmare for DC. If Carver bunkers up and nicks one off of a counter then...

Look for my general health I'll watch, but I'm not expecting much to be honest.

Still...

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh | May 23, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

You idiots calling for Paynes head need to check your own and realize:

2. If it were not for Payne we would not have had the great teams of the past

Speculation and past accomplishments do not make a successfull future or competitive team. Downward slope keeps sloping . . . losses keep mounting . . . dissension in the ranks . . . no FO accountability . . .

Posted by: LivingInThePast | May 23, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

ivory coast just missed a 1 v 1 w/ Seitz.

Posted by: mizage | May 23, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Instead of giving Emilio more money to try and motivate him, they should have instead given him less money and told him that they would give him a good bonus for every goal he scores. Now THAT's motivation.

On second thought, give that bonus to everyone who scores.

Posted by: Himes | May 23, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't care if DCU doesn't win because I got what I want. I will keep doing what I am doing which eat more fried chicken and cookies. I hate hard work but I am getting good pay so i am happy.

Posted by: Emilio again | May 23, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

the solutions to our defensive problems...lets get Carlos Bocanegra

Posted by: XioPik | May 23, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Bryan Arguez has looked good in this match. Sure wish we could have kept him.

Posted by: Wishing well | May 23, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Emilio again | May 23, 2008 1:47 PM

He's Brazilian, make that steaks and it would be more accurate.

Posted by: Ronaldo | May 23, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey, remember me? I've got stepover skills and speed. You need me cause I am a grown ass man who has played in the top league in the world. I will play for DC United if you give me what Emilio is getting. Fulham probably doesnt want me any more.

Posted by: Eddie Johnson | May 23, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys no worries I'll come back and save the day.

Oh wait, DC is 2-7. No way I'm coming back to that mess.

Good luck with all that.

Posted by: Ryan Nelson | May 23, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Gomez had a chance to take a contract and he didn't BLAME GOMEZ NOT PAYNE.

Posted by: FFS | May 23, 2008 1:38 PM

Ok I'll blame Gomez for his loyalty to this club when he was making far less than many other players ($218k if I recall correctly). Then when it was time to show him the same loyalty I'll blame Gomez for not accepting a crappy deal.

Posted by: N. Daknow | May 23, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@ Wishing well

I'm guessing Arguez would have been as awesome as Quavas Kirk for us this season. You only known how good they are if you play them - which we don't do. Everyone else cuts these kids loose and let them be (with reason of course). We let our guys out, sub 'em before the half and never hear from them again.

We have Arguez here for a year and he doesn't even get a sniff. He goes to the Bundesliga 1 and gets to dress. Either A)DCU is that good that our reserves are good enough to dress for Budesliga 1 sides, OR B)we have no talent-a**- clowns who have no idea on how to nurture and develop talent.

Hint, hint...it ain't A.

Posted by: Kosh | May 23, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

the solutions to our defensive problems...lets get Carlos Bocanegra

Posted by: XioPik | May 23, 2008 1:51 PM

===============================

That's ludicrous. Bocanegra is used to the EPL, he could never handle the pressure of wearing the black-and-red in RFK the House That Payne Built. Get a hold of yourself, man.

Posted by: Old WNT Fan | May 23, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see last night's BSPN2 telecast? Does SJ's temporary home look OK on national TV, even if it is undersized, unlike its counterpart in Kansas City?

Posted by: tri-village | May 23, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I cannot do anything wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: K. Payne | May 23, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Sure I am interested to join DCU but they need to get a good goal keeper first. Otherwise it will make me look bad like i didn't play in EPL and I will slap Wells for not giving me the instructions.

Posted by: Carlos Bocanegra | May 23, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm the best goalie in MLS. Much better than the other goalie DCU has on their roster.

That's why he never gets a chance to play.

Posted by: Z. Wells | May 23, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

"If it were not for Payne, we'd still have Gomez."
-----------------

Man I'm sick of this. He's gone, get over it. And Gallardo has been good - any time you bring in a new starting central player it takes time for the team to adjust.

They'll come around. Defense aside, this team is too good not to score goals.

Posted by: GoNYforDCU | May 23, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I was the oompa-loompa in the lastest rendition of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.

I was also the leprechaun in all the Leprechaun movies. My favorite to film was "Leprechaun: Back To The Hood."

Posted by: F. Neill | May 23, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc you're on a roll today, 2 laughs already. Hope this returns the favor.

Posted by: Old WNT Fan | May 23, 2008 1:13 PM

I'm STILL laughing, Old WNT Fan! Thanks for the link.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 23, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I hear the name Wells and my cringe gland starts acting up. It's Pavlovian I tell you.

I am full of doubt when the balls is in our defensive third because of Wells. So if that disburbs me all the way in Harrisburg, PA I can only imagine what that does to the guys standing a few yards in front of him. I know our defense is not stellar, but its hard to be when you have to stand infront of...

Ouch! There goes the old cringe gland again...

Posted by: Kosh | May 23, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

And I'm just too busy singin', to put anybody down.

Posted by: F. Niell | May 23, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I am one of many . . . there are no stones on a blog. Come on - you're smarter than that, aren't you?

Posted by: TrollishDrivel | May 23, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

WAY off topic, I know, but:

Does Paul Scholes still have a nose for the goal?

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 23, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least I can leave early today, and avoid this repetitive drivel.

Posted by: RK | May 23, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I agree. I think we will win but it will be a real struggle. I don't see TFC as really being superior to us. They got a bit of a lucky goal the other night and didn't look like world beaters after that. I wonder how the line up will get juggled. 3rd match in a week. Can Jaime handle it? How long will Fred last? Can we finally see the other GK or are we stuck with Wells' mistakes for the whole year no matter what? Is Carvallo really significantly worse? Is it possible for anyone to be significantly worse?

Posted by: Glenn | May 23, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Quique Sánchez Flores is the new manager at Benfica...

Posted by: RK | May 23, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Who's to say that Gomez would be playing well with DC United right now? Or next year for that matter? Had United given Gomez what he wanted, guaranteed years, and he had sucked it up next year because he didn't have to worry about his performance, than would you still be calling for Payne's head?

I think our most costly loss was selling Perkins off. Perkins was an outstanding goal keeper. He beat out Rimando for the starting job, and Rimando was probably our best keeper up until that point.

I'd suspect, that with Perkins, we'd at least have a few shutout this season, maybe resulting in draws while our offense begins to connect, but he would have settled the back line down.

But can you blame Payne for granting a player his wish to play in Europe? I can't. I think it shows class. Something New England certainly has not demonstrated on the point.

As for Toronto, Dichio, McTavish, and Wells... Dichio's goal was earned by fighting hard for every ball. That's something DC United needs to follow. Dichio exploited mistakes by McTavish (putting the ball to the inside instead of the outside of the goal) and Wells (who saw Dichio's pressure and did not instruct McTavish to clear the ball). Both United players failed to communicate--and you can't blame the language on that one.

Dichio simply hustled and scored.

Posted by: TCompton | May 23, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Lets see; Kevin Payne takes a significant amount of time off over the offseason for quadruple bypass surgery and the club promotes technical director/chief scout Dave Kasper to be head of day to day operations and let Kevin deal mainly with the business side of things. The team is not doing well in precisely the same year Kevin Payne has less responsibility for the roster and Kasper has more. However Payne's is the head being called for because of a slow on field start and Kasper is barely mentioned between the Payne and Soehn haters.

Posted by: bluemeanies | May 23, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

For all you crying about Gomez not getting his money, how did giving Emilio all his money work out for you?

Posted by: VoiceOf Reason | May 23, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Having been at Buck Shaw (Earthquakes' stadium) once this season, and having seen it pre-Earthquakes, it is amazing how good the field and setup is, considering how much had to be adjusted to get the field ready for the team. Intimate feel too...seats (at least on the bench side) are very close to the field.

Posted by: roxrok | May 23, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

You can't fire me. I'm God.

Posted by: D. Kasper | May 23, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dichio's other great play - clearing Fred's second chance after Onstad spilled his header. The ball was going in until Dichio slid in and got a toe to it. Say what you like, but Dichio plays end to end.

Posted by: Hedbal | May 23, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Despite our problems we play well vs Toronto at home. DCU wins 3-1. However the die is cast and Soehn is out.

Like it or not, and caarp all you want, Payne is not going anywhere. Neither is Kasper.

Anyway, my prediction is we win Saturday, but the problems will continue until we have a new coach.

Posted by: Ron | May 23, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"I'm Beautiful."
"Beautiful."
"Beautiful it's true."

"No matter what you say."
"About how much I'm paid."

"I'm never leaving you."

"The DP slot's too new."

Posted by: L. Emilio | May 23, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"In short, do not fire Payne for the roster situation if you have to fire anyone. Fire Kasper (have we had our consistent wing problems since Kasper has been Tech Director? Can he just not identify and recruit effective wide players?). If you are going to fire Payne for anything wait til Poplar Point is completely dead."

-------------------------------------------------

All I know is that someone, Soehn to be exact needs to be fired by Monday.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I disagree. Let's fire the whole team. Everyone's accountable. Let's fire the whole team and buy another team, import all their player.

Who is on top of the East right now? Columbus? Let's bring all them over here. Then we'll win!

Why can't this thing do a "roll eyes"?

Posted by: viv | May 23, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I forgot--let's buy their obviously successful-can-do-no-wrong coach too.

Who is that, I forget... Sigi Schmid? Excellent.

Posted by: viv | May 23, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Goff, I want more McTavish quotes - "He doesn't really know where all of his limbs are going all the time, "My feet weren't under me for the first 85 minutes," that stuff is great. Too bad about his slip up against Dichio on Weds, though.

Posted by: Modibo | May 23, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

2-0 TFC. Six game unbeaten streak despite a scoring slump isn't a fluke. Toronto's midfield pretty much bossed Gallardo the other night and they'll do it again, but this time won't go into a defensive shell after scoring seven minutes in.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Roxrok I thought that game last night looked like a blast to be at.
Stuffed stands rockin and rollin' I was actually trying to picture myself being there.
How many people can they stuff in the joint?

Posted by: Dadryan | May 23, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

More injuries??????????

I'm not sure I've read this, so I'll point it out: Perhaps Coach Soehn has been practicing the boys a bit too hard. The hard practices lead to injuries. The injuries lead to losses. The losses lead to Soehn's firing. See? It's all a big loop.

Posted by: Glaucon | May 23, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Soehn might not be the best coach around but the front office is WORSE --- they really botched this one up --- for starters, what in god's name was Payne and the boys looking at when they signed Marcelo Gallardo for huge bucks -- he's the most overrated and overpaid player in MLS --- all because they didn't want to pay Gomez, big mistake

and then there's the goalie fiasco, this one sucks; and the defensive backs, Boswell should have been kept and managed better --- one front office mistake after another --- fire Soehn and fire Payne too!

Posted by: michael | May 24, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse