DCU-Colorado, the Aftermath

Fans entering Dick's Sporting Goods Park on Sunday were given Mexican wrestling masks as part of the Rapids' Cinco de Mayo celebrations. Perhaps to spare themselves further embarrassment after their brutal display, United's players should have tried them on for size.

Yes, it was that bad.

"We were just bad all over the field," United Coach Tom Soehn said. "I can't even pick one guy who did well. You could talk about tactics [and] formations all you want, but if you don't show up, you are not going to do well - period."

The full print-edition story on washingtonpost.com late tonight.

Player ratings: Wells 4; Namoff 5, Peralta 5, Martinez 5; Quaranta 3, Simms 5, Dyachenko 4, Gallardo 4, Burch 5; Niell 4, Emilio 4. Subs: Moreno 4, Doe 4, Kirk 4.

Time to board the flight home (the team is on it, as well).

I'll have the "Good, Bad and Coyote Ugly" from the MLS weekend on Monday morning.

By Steve Goff  |  May 4, 2008; 7:59 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: DCU at Colorado
Next: The Good, The Bad, The Coyote Ugly

Comments

Fuego el coacho

Fuego el coacho

Fuego el coacho

Fuego el coacho

Fuego el coacho

Posted by: D+ in High School Spanish | May 4, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Brutal. But agree fully.

Posted by: strago | May 4, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps if this level of play continues the DC FO could pass out paper bags before a game.

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 4, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Boy I miss Gomez. Maybe the FO out-managed themselves this off season. I hope they're having fun down in Argentina.

Posted by: Tommie | May 4, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Soehn should take this starting 11 and make them play in the next reserve match.

Posted by: Frustrated@Fort Benning | May 4, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Frustrated@Fort Benning | May 4, 2008 8:24 PM

nice.. love it..

Posted by: JIN | May 4, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

They looked like they didnt care.

Posted by: Just a job | May 4, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

The Good: the weather this weekend

The Bad: the weekend is over

The Ugly: Losing to a goal by Erpen....

Posted by: I'll start now... | May 4, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Yes, having Gomez would have changed the entire match for us.

**ROLLS EYES BACK AND FORTH 12 TIMES**

Let's face it, the entire team stunk today. Gallardo didn't play well, but he certainly wasn't the worst of the bunch. Nice to see Quaranta back to his stinking ways, and I won't even get into Rod D.

Posted by: Hoost | May 4, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Very soon, Soehn needs to be worried about his job. What a mess. They missed Fred, but yikes.

Posted by: Nogra Rover | May 4, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I think that was the worst I have ever seen dcu play. What the hell was going on? They couldn't connect simple passes and lost every 50/50 ball. Man do we miss benny.

Posted by: pigman sweet | May 4, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

The only fault I find with Soehn is the switch in formations. Moving from a 4-4-2 to a 3-5-2 is a drastic change in that it weakens the back line and clogs up the middle unless there the players have a good idea of how to create space. Remember that early last year they played a 3-5-2 (legacy of Nowack) and didn't get out of the funk until they moved to the 4-4-2. I don't think this team can play a 3-5-2 (and I don't know of any top flight team that does - Barcelona tried it last year when they had a lot of defenders out with injuries).

Go back to the 4-4-2 or if need be a 4-3-3 with Fred & Niel supporting Emilio.

Posted by: orange14 | May 4, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

ugh, that was ugly....

Posted by: JSF | May 4, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Tino...worst first touch in MLS? Complete rubbish.

Posted by: J Cooks | May 4, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Tino had an off game. He's been killer this season, give him a break.
Wells should get a 3, he was horrible. Communication is not there, not the slightest.

Posted by: Garret | May 4, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Goff, your ratings are way over the top. I wouldn't give beyond 3 for all of them. When it's due it is nice to give them the ratings they deserve but when it is not you should not give them what's worth more then they deserve and they really stunked up today. Tom has already protecting his butt by saying "you can talk about tactics and formation all you want", yeah, maybe that has something to do after all. Perhaps not in this game because everyone dropped bombs but in general that sort of thing maters. It was simply a shamful display from United.

Posted by: td | May 4, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

anyway, safe flight home.

Posted by: td | May 4, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game; just moved here from DC. DC looked awful, worst I've ever seen them play, live at least. It's like they were a step or two behind everywhere. The Rapids, on the other hand, showed up for the first time in a few games and guys actually looked like they gave a damn. I don't know about DC's lineup, lots of new names and no one seems to have a clue what they are supposed to be doing. Also, I think the altitude really hurts DC's older guys, and they have a lot of them.

Anyway, Congrats to Colorado.

Posted by: Hacksaw | May 4, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

The good:
Columbus keeps on winning.
Beckham's brace.
Fulham (America's Team) moves out of the EPL relegation zone.
Another booming, boisterous TFC crowd.

The bad:
Columbus's low attendance.

The coyote ugly:
Rice-Eccles Stadium's turf for soccer.

Carry on...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 4, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

The good: I still have hope

The bad: TFC ave attendance exceeds DCU.

The coyote ugly: DCU bottom of the table and showing rubbish display on the road.

Posted by: td | May 4, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

If we are allowed to get players on loan, they should try to fill some of our deficiencies.

Posted by: Bubbles | May 4, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Here's what will land on people's front lawns in the morning:

Posted by: tri-village | May 4, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

simms a 5? no freaking way - Dc could have played better with 10 and have Simms ride the pine.

Posted by: bobf | May 4, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

When I heard "Kirk passes to Doe" - I thought....

"Oh No...this is gonna be bad. Is that the best we can do?"

I got my answer.

Posted by: PotomacBoater | May 4, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, I was there too and United stunk! They have zero chemistry right now. Something needs to be done and I think it is time to sit Gallardo and give Fred a shot in his place. This is the worst they have played since the first season. United was lucky to end up with a 2-0 loss. They didn't even come close to scoring.

Posted by: Jeff | May 4, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey, we'd be fourth if we were in the West!

Posted by: Glaucon | May 4, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Some point to Gallardo, but he isn't the problem at all. When the team doesn't show up we have to look at the coaching stuff. I am convinced that United have the most talent in MLS, but tactically and motivationally they are a mess. Chemistry seemed to be fine last Saturday at RFK. It doesn't seem like chemistry. It's about showing up and playing.

Posted by: Dave | May 4, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

not to be a nitpicker, but someone needs to tell that cutline writer (for the picture accompanying Goff's story) that Erpen is a "defender"...Mike Green is a "defenseman".

just sayin'.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I was on my way to a youth game here, so I only caught the first half on radio.

What stuck me the entire time was how little confidence the back line has in Wells. Over and over I heard that Peralta or Martinez (or even Namoff) cleared a ball that Wells should have had, called, or at least noticed.

The rest of the team didn't sound as bad as they obviously were. Hear no evil...

Posted by: LD | May 4, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Fire Soehn...

Hire Olsen...

NOW! Not after we don't make the playoffs.

Hell, make Gros the assistant!

Posted by: Dema | May 4, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

DCU looked really bad. No excuses - something needs to change on the road. Also, we shouldn't have let Gomez go.

By the way, Beckham had two great goals today.

Posted by: FC | May 4, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

dyastenko and quaranta, which apparently means 1/4 of a man in spanish are not the answer. you are only as good as your weakest player.
almost forgot about wells.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Beckham's goals were yesterday, of course. Getting sleepy, making errors - maybe it's the altitude.

Posted by: FC | May 4, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

So... Carvallo gets another start Thursday (assuming he doesn't flub horribly in training)?

Posted by: B.A. | May 4, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure that you're all getting tired of this from me, but Wells is horrible! He is not communicating with his defense at all. There is no reason that he should not be able to call off his D for balls that he definitely should have. Also, the first goal was a nice shot, but a keeper in position would've stopped it. If you watch the replay, he didn't move his feet to protect his near post. He (again) was protecting his far post instead. What is worse is that he was protecting the far post, but leaning towards the near post. I'm really tired of watching Wells lose the game for us.

By the way, all of this being said, the second goal was not his fault. He was in good position, it was just a nice header by Erpen.

Also, Doe=Kpene!

Posted by: Q | May 4, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

When was the last time DCU beat Colorado away??

Posted by: Red Devil | May 4, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Of course the sky is falling.

Posted by: pigman sweet | May 4, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Niell and Marinez are hopeless. Niell can't do anything and Martinez can't pass to anyone. He's a more muscular Prideaux; that's about it.

It's not Soehn. Management mangled this team during the off-season.

Posted by: Brendan | May 4, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I think I agree with Dema on getting rid of Soehn and giving Olsen the job now.
Wells has ZERO confidence in himself and should be benched.
Rod looked like he was the 12th man for the Rapids @ 60th minute till the end. Did he make one pass in the last quarter of the game?
This team sucks.
Hope the gymbags that decided to head down to Argentina for the weekend come back with some pixie dust or some other sort of hocus pocus cuz this team needs a stinkin miracle.
Good to see Doe and Kirk get some playing time but Rod shoulda been removed before he turned into a big tall pile of worthlessness.
I think I'm gonna start nudgeing my wife to put in for a job transfer to Columbus...

Posted by: Dadryan | May 4, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WNT fan | May 4, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Red Devil: 8 years ago. A 5-2 win during the 2000 season.

That said, the loss today wasn't too surprising. What was surprising was how disorganized and disinterested DC were today. It was shameful. What I loved was MLSNet.com's article titled "United's depth a strength" ... what???

Anyways...

The good:
Becks' brace at RSL
TFC starting to come together

The bad:
DC's continued run in bad form
No Western team has pts. in double digits

The Coyote Ugly:
Defending MLS Champs Houston still winless

Posted by: Andy | May 4, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Well, I said the other day (as I said at the time) that we should have kept Gomez, and used the Gallardo money/slots for defense and a few other needs, and some folks vehemently disagreed. Still think that way? Gomez isn't better than Gallardo by some distance, but he's plenty good for MLS. Why take the supporters shield winning team and get rid of a recent MVP for this reconstruction? It wasn't a very good idea at the time, and it is starting to really show badly now.

Posted by: macheath | May 4, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

No off-ball movement whatsoever. No defnsive pressure. Those two things have been the signature of DC United Champions of the past.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

As pointed out, they are simply not creating enough scoring chances. There is no semblance of improved chemistry developing among players. Bad communication. Mistimed runs. Passes with too much (or too little) pace.
They don't have a football/soccer sense for each other's space, rythm, movement.
Had not read about Olsen's potential retirement until today. Not good. Like others have said, the team has really missed him on the field.
The good news is that the Supporter's Shield appears to be an almost meaningless achievement if you want to win the MLS Cup, so there's always hope... ;-)

Posted by: Lassiter | May 4, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

The Bad: Those pictures of Kai were way too small.

Posted by: sitruc | May 5, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

soehn has to go before its to late in the season

Posted by: chris | May 5, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Despite all the venom and disappointment spewing forth , I still love DC United. Always have, always will. Season = early.

Posted by: I love United | May 5, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

If you're in Comcast mid-Atlantic territory, there is a rebroadcast in progress at this time (11pm-1am).

Posted by: tri-village | May 5, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

I've seen Gallardo ping some fabulous passes this year (and he obviously scored a brilliant goal on the volley last week), but he doesn't seem to have the drive / leading personality that United needs. I'll give him a bit more time, but I'm getting worried.

Watching Erpen score made me ill.

Posted by: sfdda | May 5, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Am I alone, that I can't sleep after such a brutal effort?

Posted by: JSF | May 5, 2008 2:14 AM | Report abuse

This is the first time that I've thought Goff's ratings were inflated after a bad game. Really sad that DC's performance stooped so low that 5s are generous.

Something has got to change with this team, and fast. We really need leadership. Moreno isn't enough on his own, and we can't count on Olsen anymore. (A tragedy in and of itself.)

I think we miss Perkins more than people realize as well. He was always good for one great stop per game. Wells is good for one terrible gaffe per game.

Posted by: bennyf118 | May 5, 2008 2:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm posting what others must have already posted, but I have to finally vent. This team sucks and the no-brain trust who were so miserly with Christian Gomez are a bunch of idiots!! Give me Gomez and even Erpen for what we're paying through the nose for now. I am not paying my money to watch this piece of crap we put on the field. Gallardo cannot bring what Gomez brought to this fabled team. What a waste and series of stupid moves we've made. Gomez and Erpen played with pride, more than we we can say with these mercenaries. I fault the front office more than Soehn and will not renew my tickets.

Posted by: Eric | May 5, 2008 6:38 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else see Paralta shake his head in disbelief at yet another no-talk, hesitation by Wells that forced Paralta to head out for a corner? So why does Wells start i he is so bad at controlling and communicating in his 6? Why is Rod even allowed on the field? Niell? Do the wings know how to take on someone 1v1? If they did could they cross into the box? Our issues are basic.

How can a team that beat Pachuca 2-1 lose to Col 2-0 who fielded ordinary talent?

Posted by: RRP | May 5, 2008 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Gomez 1, Gallardo 0

Posted by: BK | May 5, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

I agree with your player ratings except one. While Namoff sucked just as bad as the rest of them he did save us from a 4-0 loss. He had two great defensive plays that helped keep DC "in" the game.

I say he deserves at least a 6 :-)

Is it possible to exchange my DCU season tickets for Real Maryland tickets?

Posted by: Southeasterner | May 5, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Horrible performance. I don't think Simms deserved a 6. He was chasing Gomez on day.

And could Rod D. turn the ball over more...if the league kept track he'd lead the league this season.

Posted by: Ike | May 5, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Is it me, or is this season starting to look like a disaster? Last year we ended the season with more points than anyone and yet the FO chooses to overhaul one-half the team. Some of our defenders don't speak the same language as our other defenders, Niell CANNOT stay on his feet, Emillio has his back to goal 90% of the time, Gallardo gives the ball away 7 out of 10 passes, and the ONLY intensity and passion on the field is shown by Burch, Namoff, Simms and Martinez !! Soehn has got to get control of this situation or we are in for a dreadful and embarassing season!!!

Posted by: Mike | May 5, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

chill out people..it's good to give these teams home wins..will hopefully boost their attendance. watching the game @ 4x fast forward on the dvr wasn't as painful. the atmosphere in colorado was like a funeral. maybe dc just can't play when the game feels like a scrimmage.

Posted by: mizage | May 5, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Simms fan, to be sure, but I think that was his worst performance in a long, long time. He had two atrocious giveaways in the first half, one of which should've led to a goal, and Gomez made him look pretty bad on the first goal. He did have one or two good clearances when nobody else seemed to want to move the ball out of the box, but I'd give him a 3, or 4 max.

This team desperately needs some speed up top . . . Niell runs as fast as his little legs can carry him, but the fact that he needs to take three steps to equal one of most backs really hurts. One striker with better than average speed + Gallardo's probing passes would really open things up for this team.

Posted by: Greenbelt United | May 5, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Wells need to be benched!!!!!

Luciano needs to be benched!!!!!

Moreno needs to be in the midfield, and move Gallardo as a forward.

Posted by: Franz | May 5, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

We are playing too casually with no intensity or sense of urgency. The exception to this were Niell and Doe, at least they tried to make things happen. We played as though we are leading 5-0 or something. Look at how aggressive Colorado played, and they don't have the quality as we do.

Posted by: la_chingada | May 5, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

the blame for the loss and horrible game should be placed squarely at the feet of Tom Soehn. Going with 3 in the back on the road and at that enormous field in Colorado was irresponsible. A 4-4-2 or even a 4-5-1 would have been much more effective formations. I know McTavish and Fred were hurt but you could still put Pat Carroll in the back and have Burch play left wing.

Additionally, the Rod Dyachenko experiment must end. What exactly was the position he was playing yesterday? If you have the stomach for it, go back to the 73rd minute of the game and watch the "playmaker" make a stunning pass that barely went anywhere except to Colorado and then 1 minute later made another terrible pass that gave up possession.

I'm hoping for a major shake up on Thursday: Luciano Emilio, Rod Dyachenko, Zach Wells, and Franco Niell should all be planted firmly on the bench when the game begins.

Posted by: diego r. | May 5, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

wow, those comments from Tom Soehn are pretty surprising. He distances himself from all of the blame for the loss and dishes it out to the players.... hmmm...... When you put your team in a strong position to lose, don't expect a different result

Posted by: diego r. | May 5, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

At least I watched the game on Telemundo, so I didn't have to "hear" how bad and uninspired United played.

Dyachenko was the worst player on the field.

I kept waiting for Erpen to make a blunder, leading to a DCU goal. Oops.

Posted by: United fan in TN | May 5, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I remember a day not long ago whn we did have Gomez and we still lost to Colorado 4 zip. What is it about that place? What is it about the early months of the season? What is it about altitude? Maybe the 3-5-2 just doesn't work for Tommy. Peralta seems better working with Martinez in the middle and Burch seems better working from the back rather than from the midfield. We need some speed on the wings too.

Posted by: noname | May 5, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

If Wells is benched for Thursday, it will be 8-0 instead of 4-0. All for benching Emilio though.

Posted by: Darth Hater | May 5, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

What I am learning about DCU this season.

This team is completely devoid of leadership.

Zack Wells is not a MLS caliber goalkeeper.

Namoff and Martinez are actually playing pretty well and I thought Paralta was ok, but the play around them was horrible.

Sims missed Brian Carrol either in partnership on the field or as a competitor in practice. By the way Carrol has looked terrific for Columbus this season and is one reason they are at the top of the League.

Gullardo is a very expensive role player. He has a wonderful touch and great vision but his impact on play is spotty. No wonder he was easy to obtain from the French League.

Quaranta and Dychenko should have been waived. It tells you how little depth this team has when you start these two. Quaranta was done a year or two back. He should not have been invited back. Dychenko has got to be one of the more expensive reserve players in the League considering what DC keeps doing to keep him. For the life of me I can't figure out what the Coaching staff sees in him.

Burch is having a very so/so season. But he is a role player and certainly not someone you build your team around.

Again, Again and Again. Neil is the worst forward signing for DC since 96. He cannot play in MLS and is costing DC what 160k.

Moreno is done. He is a brilliant player that that come to that end game where he just can't do what his mind wants.

Emilio should thank his lucky stars he had Gomez providing service to him last year. He scored some goals and immediately felt MLS was going to be easy. Wrong. He needs to sit.

Posted by: Nick from Big Soccer | May 5, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

DCU Stinks.

I can't believe I chose Maryland as a college to be closer to this crap team.

Posted by: Jeff from Maryland | May 5, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

As far as the cap goes, Gallardo costs us $75,000 more than Gomez. If anyone out there can find a player that would make us world beaters for that amount, please call United and get a job as a scout or assistant coach ASAP. Is it too much to ask for people to do some math before the wild internet claims begin?

Anyone who believes that was the worst United performance ever has only been watching us since 2004. What we saw yesterday was about average for the Hudson era. Keep things in perspective. I recall a loss in Dallas under Hudson that made yesterday's showing look like Brazil 1970.

That said, the game was over once Peterson (who I can't stand) scored. Once again, our play on the road was simply not good enough to even hope for a draw. We don't keep possession long enough away, leading to our opponents building in confidence and forcing us into playing desperate long through balls and hoping that the opposing center backs simply fall down or try to shoot at their own goal. I don't know what's being said to the team on the road, but something's got to give.

Quaranta, Dyachenko, and Simms had particularly bad games yesterday. I think it might be a bit harsh to come down on our forwards, since our midfield did so little to ever give them the ball in a reasonable position. You know things are bad when the best attacking pass anyone made was from Emilio to Niell, who wasn't even looking for the ball until it was too late.

Right now, we are Dr. Jekyll at home and Mr. Hyde on the road. Our personnel and results have shown that when we take care of the ball, good things happen. On the road, we treat the ball like a ticking time bomb for the most part.

Finally, someone mentioned Carroll after trashing a bad performance by Simms. Don't think for a second Carroll would be doing better here. Look at Carroll's good seasons, and find the common factor: 5 man midfields where his partner in defensive midfield is an enthusiastic rough-and-tumble type that has the work rate to get forward and grab some goals. Adam Moffat is no Ben Olsen, but he's the same style of player, and it's a perfect match for Carroll. BC is playing well because he's a great match for the current Crew system.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | May 5, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Fire Sohen???????? Sweet jesus, it's time to rename the team DQU for Drama Queens United.

Posted by: Allen | May 5, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo might have the pedigree, but he is no Christian Gomez. DCU have really dug a hole for themselves. While the team wants Gallardo to get forward more, I recall commentary prior to the season stating that Gallardo preferred a withdrawn midfielder role, as opposed to a true attacking midfielder. To some extent, DCU released Gomez, who shows flashes of brilliance in the attacking third, for a Reyna-like player in Gallardo, who does not appear as comfortable in one-on-one situations nor does he have the explosive capability of a Gomez. Big problem for DCU. The attack will be limited as long as Gallardo is your central midfielder. He is what he is - just like Reyna, a possession-minded holding middie who adds very few natural attacking capabilities in the attacking third.

Posted by: BobbyG | May 5, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

WOW! DCU FAN IN SOCAL HAS BEEN RIGHT ALL ALONG!! FIRE SORRYEHN!! EL DIABLO WAS ASKED IF SORRYEHN SHOULD BE LEAVE THE POST HE STATED "NO COMENT"... BRING A COACH WHO IS WORTH LEADING THE TEAM I BLEED! VAMOS UNITED FIGHT THE FIGHT! Trough the GOOD BAD OR UGLY I STAND BY MY DC UNITED!!

Posted by: DCU FAN IN SOCAL | May 5, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse