DCU-NE, the Aftermath

Nice show for almost an hour. DCU played like the team it was supposed to be, even struck for a pair of goals on the road. (Say it ain't so!) But the scoring dried up, thanks in large part to Matt Reis, and United abruptly faded. Under most circumstances, getting a point at New England is not a bad thing, but after holding a two-goal lead and dominating possession, it sure felt like a loss afterward.

The good news: United was sharp in attack and finished a couple chances before the break. Zach Wells and the backline held up well in the first half and Marcelo Gallardo and Clyde Simms were outstanding.

The bad news: United seemed too comfortable with the lead in the second half and allowed New England to assert itself. Fred flailed at the cross that led to the first goal and Wells was caught in no man's land on the second.

Attendance: 8,000-plus. Embarrassing.

Man of the match: Reis, no doubt.

Watch the video highlights by clicking here.

My full match report with quotes is available here.

Player ratings: Wells 4; Martinez 6, Mediate 5, McTavish 5, Namoff 6; Quaranta 6, Simms 7, Gallardo 7, Fred 6; Moreno 6, Emilio 6. Subs: Dyachenko 4, Burch 5.

(This was a tough one to analyze. Fred, for example, was excellent at times and scored, but failed to clear the Revs' first goal. Wells was not directly to blame for the goals and played well in the first half, but didn't make many clutch saves either and was caught wandering on the second goal. Emilio scored, was a constant danger and seemed to have regained his confidence, but didn't finish a few other opportunities.)

Not sure whether I will rejoin you at all on Friday. Cheers!

By Steve Goff  |  May 30, 2008; 12:13 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: DCU at New England
Next: L.A. Law

Comments

Better...DC isn't there yet though. DC should have had a better result. They were too casual with the lead. I haven't watched replays or read other accounts, but while Wells was not entirely at fault for the goals, his positioning wasn't great either. A lot of the problems in the box and clearing go back to him and his lack of control in the box. Especially in the first half, Simms and Gallardo were great. Namoff was good when getting up for offense, but he had a few bad lapses on defence. On the other end, Reis was the clear man of the match. His saves and quick and on point distribution kept New England in a game they had little right to be in.

Posted by: sitruc | May 30, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

while not a good result, things are starting to fall in place. Still a way to go, before DCU wins their 5th star, but the pieces are there.

Still many opportunities for improvement.

Houston and Chicago are going to be difficult.

Posted by: JSF | May 30, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Quaranta keeps getting better, but those fouls! How many games with yellow cards is that? Surely, he faces a suspension soon. Mediate played a decent game. Simms did take some big shots, forcing saves, but there's something about his shot -- sometimes it's the straightest shot I've ever seen. Blistering, but straight -- other times, it just hooks wide left (or over). He doesn't seem to be able to pick a spot on goal that he goalie can't get, too. He's got the most powerful shot on the team, but...On the other hand, I wish Gallardo would stop with the long range shots. He doesn't put enough oomph into his shots to beat a professional goalie. Zack Wells, maybe -- but not a pro. Of course, if Gallardo ever scores one of those long shots, I'll gladly eat crow. And, yeah, Moreno and Emilio could both have put away shots they did not.

Sounds like I'm down on the team. I'm not really. This was the best this team has looked on offense since last summer. And, except for three bad plays, they looked good on defense, too. The result was a disappointment, but I'm seeing signs of life.

I think we're one or two players away from giving Chicago a run for its money in the Fall. Any chance that we'll see them? Seitz, after the Olympics. And, perhaps another striker -- after Niell is sent home. Olsen's return also would be nice, but Quaranta is starting to look like a serviceable replacement.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 30, 2008 1:30 AM | Report abuse

About the pathetic crowd -- what makes it worse is that the Red Sox and Celtics were off tonight. No local teams to compete with. I realize they're playing rent-free in Foxborough, but the Revs need to find some land in Boston (near a T stop) and build their own stadium, soon. At least, they would be easily accessible to all the students. With the skyrocketing gas prices, a stadium that far out in the sticks is just not a good idea.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 30, 2008 1:34 AM | Report abuse

On the other hand, over 48,000 showed up at the same stadium for the college lacrosse championship. But, that was on the holiday weekend, so it's apples and oranges, right?

Posted by: I could be wrong | May 30, 2008 1:39 AM | Report abuse

The league should know to schedule Thursday games in stadiums with good attendance (TFC, Houston, DC, LA, etc.) since they are featured on national TV.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | May 30, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse

As long as MLS markets to soccer moms, families and youth leagues, weeknight games will be dismal. Message to Garber: school night. Duh.

United looked like a force. For a time. Obviously it sucks they let their foot off the gas, but the positive is that they at least show the potential to take to a decent team, if only for 55 minutes.

Reis continues to be a beast. I hate the guy, but he has been the best keeper in the East for last 5 years.

Dynamo coming next week. Let's see.

Posted by: Erick | May 30, 2008 1:59 AM | Report abuse

I agree, but with the Revs 20k really doesn't look a whole lot different than 8k.

Posted by: Max | May 30, 2008 2:05 AM | Report abuse

While DC should have won this game it was a step in the right direction. DC's attack looked very good. Tom Sohen should never have taken off Moreno, he is the heart at soul of this team. DC got caught in what is known as the 5 minute drill. They where to casual up 2-0 and paid the price; as NE scored within 5 minutes of DC's second goal. The finishing for DC will come. I know this has not been brought up in this blog but in the last section; but, everyone was screaming for KIRK. Lets face the facts; last year kirk was awful for LA why would he be good this yr? KIRK is about 6'0, fast and has no skill; trust me, he is not a pro player he is just another gifted athlete trying to play pro soccer. We as USA fans need to realize the difference between athletes and footballers! Up and till now we have not. Its our whole perception of the game that does not only our league but our nation team as well. we need to move past American sport dichotomies and into a footballers realm.

Posted by: DC Fan Stuck in St Louis | May 30, 2008 2:45 AM | Report abuse

when I say " I know this hast not been brought up....." I ment: This "has been brought up"

Posted by: same as above | May 30, 2008 2:47 AM | Report abuse

Usually I'm with you Goff, but I'm scratching my head at your ratings this time. Gallardo was night and day in the first and second halves, brilliant early but repeatedly coughing up the ball late in the game. I thought Fred was the best player on the field (except Reis) for most of the game, bringing energy and creativity--and doing some excellent things on defense. Quaranta was middling... I love his energy, but what's with the fouls and constant diving? He should have been booked for at least one of those cartoonish flops.

I'm happy with a draw, but disappointed that Soehn pulled Moreno for Dyachenko... essentially killing any chance of getting three points. Oh well.

Posted by: Joe S. | May 30, 2008 3:27 AM | Report abuse

We're coming together now. It's just about being consistent through the whole game. We rocked in the first half. Then, like you guys said, we took our foot off the gas and NE had more of the ball.
The only thing bad that Reis did all night was trying to kick Emilio in the head and give another one of our strikers a concussion.

Posted by: andrew | May 30, 2008 4:10 AM | Report abuse

oh boy, I knew you "gotta hope for the best people" would come out in droves after United played 45 minutes of soccer last night. Let's get real: put Twellman in the lineup and he torches Wells for a couple of goals and we lose again. The back line did not "hold their own" at all last night; NE simply did not take a bloody shot on net in the first half. When anyone does, lights out Wells. Jaime walked off the field super pissed off; I'm hoping it was at Soehn. My stomach gets rolling when idiot Soehn makes a substitute, and I'm thinking Jaime was pissed at being taken out last week and las night for an incompetant substitute. Great job Tom, taking out the best holder of the ball in the game; always a smart move. Yes Jaime was doing the Gallardo thing last night and passing to fantom players that did not exist. And Gallardo....geez...any 5 year old could have slotted that late ball to Emilio for a point blank shot on net. The bloody pass was hit so hard, it looked more like a shot from 40 yards out than a simple slot pass. And Emilio....this guy is finished! It is not a matter of bad luck....he's clueless! He tries to toe a shot past Matt when he should have blasted it with his left foot, and then later, he tries to decapitate Matt with a shot that he should have lifted over Matt with his toe. Emilio has no clue on what he is doing. 3 simple goals missed; and you people laugh at Jaqua! There was no improvement last night, only Emilio puting in some garbage at front as a result of Simms doing his job and punishing the ball whenever he can. I have a friend who is a good friend of Jaime's. Maybe I'll have her call him up so I can ask him who he was barking at last night. Frankly, it was nice to see some player anger directed at the coaching staff. Since Jaime is one of only 3 worthwhile players on the team, I'm hoping front office change will come knowing he is still going to be here next year as well and is demanding better.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 30, 2008 4:30 AM | Report abuse

For all our complainng about turf surfaces, we seem to play well on that one at NE. For the first half we were taking that team apart, total domination but lacked for that second goal in the first half. Our touch passing and was exquisite and we found service for our skill players up front who showed some quality last night. Credit Nicol who understands the tactical game with the subs he made. Disappointing to leak the second half goals. We needed the 3 last night. Beware Houston!.

Posted by: sbg | May 30, 2008 6:20 AM | Report abuse

Clyde Simms were outstanding - yea except for the fact that his mark scored the second goal..what was he doing jumping backwards into the goal? idiot...

Posted by: bobf | May 30, 2008 6:24 AM | Report abuse

Yes Simms has let a mark score time and again this season, but I can't fault him much on goal number 2. Wells was off his line (again) and Simms had to make a call - mark the man or get on the line. Simms simply got caught in two minds. The real problem is Wells. If I've said it once (and Q's said it a million times) Wells is absolutely terrible with his positioning. He came off of his line for a cross and did not fully commit. It was a simple cross mind you - no fancy bend or anything, so it had a very predictable trajectory. If you decide to come off of your line for a cross then bring it!! Instead, he does another one of his half-assed decisions and gets caught in the middle of nowhere. As long as Wells is in there - we will NEVER post a shut out this season, which means our offense is going to have to outscore everyone we face. Have you met our offense?

Wells is a backup keeper (3rd string if I may add).

Posted by: Kosh | May 30, 2008 6:36 AM | Report abuse

To be clear about my "outscore" comment - yes I know a winning side MUSt outscore an opponent to win, but DC can go for stretches as a 1-nil maestro. So based on that, my point was with Wells, we would have to score anywhere from 2 - 4 goals per game to make a win a certainty.

Have you met our offense lately?

Posted by: Kosh | May 30, 2008 6:39 AM | Report abuse

Let me understand, you're critical of Fred not clearing the ball from his own area on the first NE goal. Where was the defense? Why not crticize Namoff for first not being there and then playing the two NE guys onside and then doing nothing on the play but watching.

Story of the match: Reis v. Wells

Posted by: congguy | May 30, 2008 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Great first half, and a much better overall effort than the last few games. The offense showed what it's capable of doing, except for some subpar finishing (Luchi - try shooting low). After being caught in no man's land again on the 2nd goal, Wells was much more aggressive (Steve - maybe he didn't have to make key saves because he came out to clear balls before they became problems).

The back line seemed to be more coordinated, particularly in the first half, with Mediate rather than Peralta. Could we see a permanent change? If not, I'm back to Burch at left back and moving Martinez to center.

In a year of questionable coaching, has there been a more unbelievable decision than Soehn removing Jaime for Dyachenko? I don't blame Jaime for the anger.

congguy - Isn't defense everyone's business? Can't we just admit Fred flubbed it?

Posted by: BillyBob | May 30, 2008 7:10 AM | Report abuse

"Not sure whether I will rejoin you at all on Friday."

Which means we'll have 3 or 4 posts on the Insider, including some jaw droppers. ;)

Posted by: Section 130 | May 30, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

As you say, guys - a step in right direction. It was good to see some passion, Jaime fired up, even Wells barking some orders. Anybody noticed who the guys ran up to after scoring? To be patted on the back? It was Benny! Its good to see him exert some presence and leadership off the bench. Badly missed on the field though.

The critical improvement was in more movement. It was (sometimes only) a running game - with players running with a ball and without. It immediately created some opportunities. Too bad they did not have enough in them (discipline? persistence?) to keep on it.

A good team needs to be able to adjust during the game and play to its strength. It happened that it was Simms' night. It was clear early on that he caught courage with his shots. So feed him. Let him rip. He did just a few times raking havoc. Should have been more.

Wells displayed some glimpses of why somebody would think he has promises, but then went to his usual out of position, out of play on the goals. We've seen what a good goalie can do for his team on another side of the field with Matt Reis. A contract can't be more striking. It feels that we need a good goalie more than any other position on the field.

Posted by: Tolik | May 30, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Someone please remind me again what Moreno brings to the table nowadays. I find myself forgetting every game as I count each time he gives up the ball.

Posted by: BK | May 30, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Steven - ENJOY the day off if you get it.

I was elated in the first 65 minutes of this game but DC did seem to be thinking that it had exorcised its demons too early. I mean, when you sit back, finding a good rhythm and some scoring and some good possession and getting a point against the table leaders is a good result (just not great when our season has gone the way it has).

However, what's it going to take for us to find a half decent net minder (bilingual preferably) who can also help organize a defense.

On New England's Attendance: I know that the Krafts are fabulously wealthy and that they would prefer to have the Revs stay in Gilette than to help them build their own park in some expensive part of Boston. However, good lord wouldn't that be a much better situation where you could have people show up easily versus driving away from the city. I just have to imagine that there is a better way for this team to succeed at the gate than what they are doing right now. If I recall, there has been news in the past that has creeped up from time to time about them pursuing something in Boston - has anything ever come from that? Are they still looking? Really what is the family's long-term goal for this club?

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 30, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BK | May 30, 2008 7:56 AM

Wow BK - Were you out getting a Whopper last night and missed the game?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 30, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

22 goals allowed

Posted by: castroviejo | May 30, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

martinez was all over that ball like flies on turd last night

Posted by: ballston dude | May 30, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BK | May 30, 2008 7:56 AM

Moreno organizes the attack, holds the ball to give our players time to get into open spaces, and occupies the middle to give Gallardo more of an opportunity to roam free. But Jaime does lose the ball a lot :/

Story of the match: Reis v. Wells

I totally agree with that, but I would also add Nicol v. Soehn. Nicol is a coach who knows how to make adjustments when things aren't going his way. Soehn, not so much.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 30, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Woops. The 8:16 post was by me.

Posted by: DCUMD | May 30, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

If I see that yellow footed idiot go to cross the ball and hit the defender in the chin I will take a 1 month sabbatical from MLS soccer (this 1 month ban will coincide with the Euros). Also, maybe I am just spoiled from watching so much european soccer but can Gallardo (yes I'm calling out our best midfielder) please not pass the ball backwards evertime you get the ball. Dribble it into space, make the defense move.

On a brighter note, can you imagine how bad the score would have been if NE had all those chances against us.

Posted by: NFeKPo | May 30, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

The reason why Gallardo was night and day in the 1st and 2nd half was because NE actually covered him in the second half. He couldn't go 1 touch without a NE player on him. Emilio and Moreno needed to finish their chances, especially the last one Emilio tried to BLAST past Reis. All this time I wanted Wells to come off his line more and be more decisive but from what I saw in some of his clearences yesterday I see why he is hesitant...he doesn't know what he is doing! Soehn should give Carvallo a chance at home on Wed.

Posted by: dcchilidog | May 30, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I would rather have a one armed, assertive, committed, confident goalkeeper then who we have now. the FO took a chance on an unproven keeper and didnt come close. I thought we had some young peruvian keeper or maybe he was central american that can get some minutes.

Posted by: NFeKPo | May 30, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Even though United ended with 1 point after the 2-2 draw, I thought it was a huge improvement all around. Several players step up after I had essentially written them off.

I was expecting a loss, got excited by United's 2-0 lead, but ended very happy with a draw.

We're moving in the right direction.

Posted by: TCompton | May 30, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Alright, so I consider myself to be somewhat of voice of reason. I am usually a staunch Namoff fan, but I have to hold him accountable for a number of mistakes. His marking was suspect last night and his offense was ineffective. He'll pick it back up though so I'm not worried about him.
Emilio had a number of great chances last night. We should be pretty happy that he was even there in those situations. We're not though. Reis made some good saves and thats well and good. But when good finishing meets good goalkeeping, finishing should win more than not. So Emilio has to finish. Thats his job and thats all we ask of him.
I am a little suprised that Moreno wasn't able to bury his shot. I remember as recently as last year when Reis was asked who he feard the most, he said Moreno because of his unpredictability, his amazing accuracy and his touch of the ball.
Encouraging signs and I hope it only gets better. Win or lose, I'm a shameless not going anywhere. Maybe we'll trade for McBride!
By the way, how bad must Carvallo be?

Posted by: moreno4prez | May 30, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I missed the Toronto game, so last night was the first time in a long time I saw our players MAKING RUNS instead of spectating and waiting for the ball to appear at their feet. Jaime, Fred, Gallardo were actually communicating and working together...and Emilio even seemed to be engaged with the rest of the team. Good to see.

Back line and especially Wells need to work on focusing after 60 minutes. Can't tell if it's physical conditioning, young players like Mediate, or just Wells' lack of leadership, but NE's defense woke up about the time ours lost lock. And Soehn needs to work on the halftime pep talk...whatever he's saying isn't working.

Posted by: LD | May 30, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

22 goals allowed

Posted by: castroviejo | May 30, 2008 8:02 AM

Exactly. That's pathetic. We've given up so many soft goals this season that no lead is a safe one.

The goal off the direct kick had no fewer than 4 open, untouched Revs in the six yard box. No wonder they scored. They could have played keep away with Zach.

PLAY SOME DEFENSE.

Posted by: delantero | May 30, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I could be wrong | May 30, 2008 1:39 AM

An annual, championship event, planned on by many families up and down the East Coast. Held on the same weekend every year - with 40 years of history behind it. Yes, I think it's safe to say that's apples to the oranges of a midweek, regular season MLS match. 8k sucks though.

Posted by: Kev | May 30, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I have bashed Emilio all season and I want to say that his effort last night was outstanding. He will always be slow but when he gives up on plays (which has been the case for every other game) it makes him an undesirable player.

Is he worth DP money...no. Which means he'll probably be gone this summer.

In the mean time I hope he keeps his energy level up to increase his value.

Posted by: N. Daknow | May 30, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

LD, I agree. I noticed Emilio making runs towards the goal as well as Quaranta and Fred. This is a vast improvement as we have all noticed that Emilio posting up is a waste of time.
How many days next week do thing Soehn should spend just having Gallardo cross the ball over the defense so they can practice getting that thing out of there? How many days do you think he actually will? I remember saying to myself that the free kick would be a goal scored on us. I am very critical of Soehn because I don't think he is coaching this team effectively, nor is he improving our deficiencies.

Posted by: moreno4prez | May 30, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

>>>

or had we converted all our chances..

Posted by: mizage | May 30, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

We need to win at home vs. Houston, and if we can get a tie in Chicago with the upcoming 3 games:

H NY
H SJ
H LA

It is possible we can go into the SuperLiga break at 7-7-2.

If we do that and get our act together during July we can come out of the All-Star break ready to mow down the competition and move into position for a good run in the playoffs.

Posted by: Matthai | May 30, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Not DC related, but since Goff is off enjoying some quality time with SOI thought I would post it in this thread.

Initial US roster has been announced for the Spain match.

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION
GOALKEEPERS (3): Dominic Cervi (out of contract), Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton FC)

DEFENDERS (9): Carlos Bocanegra (out of contract), Dan Califf (FC Midtjylland), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Jay DeMerit (Watford FC), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege), Michael Orozco (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Freddy Adu (SL Benfica), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Eddie Lewis (Derby County), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids)

FORWARDS (5): Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Nate Jaqua (out of contract), Eddie Johnson (Fulham FC), Josh Wolff (out of contract)

"All 17 of the European-based players that appeared on the U.S. roster for the match against England have traveled to Santander. Decisions on the remaining seven players, including Landon Donovan, will be made this weekend."

Posted by: emanon | May 30, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

H NY
H SJ
H LA

It is possible we can go into the SuperLiga break at 7-7-2.

Posted by: Matthai | May 30, 2008 9:05 AM

Thank you Matthai. At last a voice of reason to silence the haters. Given the progress we saw last night and 4 of the next 5 at home, DCU will work their way into a playoff spot by the end of June.

Posted by: BillyBob | May 30, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

The good points are that we had 65 minutes of a solid effort. For that period, the midfield and forwards were controlling the game and the defenders were moving far up field. Emilio is at his best when he's in a position to poach (see his last 2 goals).

It seemed to me that Moreno was playing even with or even behind Gallardo for much of the time, floating from right left to test the defense. Maybe this is better to get Gallardo further upfield. It did seem to tire Jaime out though.

I'm sure to be in the minority, but I think Wells had a much better game than his previous outings. Overall, he was more decisive and came out of the box a couple of times to stave off danger. Part of the problem was the makeshift back line. Namoff's heel flick clearance to the attacking player was just horrible. Lucky for us the shot went off his back.

Reis and Nicol deserve most of the credit for the tie.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 30, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Or to play the negative card based on the above post...You could say that out of 4 games in the past 12 days, we came away with 4 points...out of a possible 12.

Amazingly the same people who are now singing DC's praises on here are the same ones that said we needed a minimum 6 out of the 12 available points for us to turn our season around.

Of course, if, as the saying goes, we are only as good as our last game, then at least we aren't going down without a fight!

Posted by: JonInVB | May 30, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Re: MNT roster. Is Bradley playing Guzan so that the latter can be eligible for a British work permit? I think he has good reflexes and will be a good keeper, but I have doubts about him commanding the defense.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 30, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

@DC Fan in St L: Moreno played well for an hour, but after that he was GASSED. He had NOTHING left. He had to come out.

Posted by: Ron | May 30, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

As a Soehn supporter it pains me to admit that he's now been outcoached twice in the second half of games. First Preki and now Nichol. They can see what the opposition is doing and how to adjust accordingly, Tommy not so much. The one bullet he did fire was Dyachenko for Moreno. It backfired.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | May 30, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I just wonder who was playing in the white uniforms in the first half. I know I watched DC United in the second half, but I was confused for the first 45.

Posted by: MezzSouthGol | May 30, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 30, 2008 9:34 AM

That's the exact reason he's playing him. Which is something I HATE HATE HATE about the US national team. The coaches play guys almost as favors to them to try and get them WP eligible for England rather than play guys to get them experience or for the benefit of the National Team.

Guzan is good and I'm glad he's getting these games as he's in line to become #2 behind Howard, but I'm sick of them giving people games (e.g. Wolff amd Convey a few years back comes to mind too) just so they can become eligible or stay eligible to get a WP in England.

Can't qualify for a WP then too F-ing bad. There's plenty of other places to play like Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Holand, Russia etc where that isn't an issue.

Posted by: Matthai | May 30, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I-270, thats exactly whats happening. Guzan is pretty close now. Guzan has repeatedly expressed his intrest in the media about going to Villa and I think it will happen.

Posted by: strago | May 30, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

How is Fred? That was a nasty blow. I thought Moreno was more pissed at the cheap shot he took to the head than he was at coming out.

Posted by: Old WNT fan | May 30, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Seems Bradley is also playing guys to try and get them jobs. Not sure if Bocanegra's display at Wembley has locked down an offer from Coventry or Ipswich yet :-/

I want to see Freddy for at least 70 minutes against Spain. Then again, he might be in the shop window as well.

Posted by: Kev | May 30, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

We played well yesterday - best effort in the league for us this season. But that is not going to be enough. We are going to need yesterday's performance amped up to the next level (in terms of sharpness and duration) to really get to where we should be.

For all of you "we'll make the playoffs" people out there - I don't see DC as that sort of team. We have won championships, we play with the big boys of CONCACAF and COMNEBOL. Making the playoffs should not be a goal, IT SHOULD BE AN EXPECTATION. Winning some other form of silverware is what our goals should be. I love the turn around the team is making, but, call me a hardass, I expect more from this side. But for a few bad bounces here or there, this same side took it to Pachuca. So excuse me if I'm not all blushy and rosey for yesterday's efforts.

I am not looking at making the playoffs, I am looking at going deep into them. I mean we have made the cut the last few years and...well we all know where those trips ended.

I am not a hater, just a fan who believes that our team is much better than what's reflected in the standings. So while the efforts in the last two games gives some of the targets of my venom (Soehn, Emilio, Wells) a slight repreieve (to some degree), I EXPECT more from this side, and if they can't do it then the FO should find the right people who can.

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh | May 30, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

An away draw is a decent result, especially when the opposition keeper has a blinder.

The second half falloff? How 'bout fatigue among the older players like Gallardo and Moreno. They lose a step or two late in a match. Soehn can see that as well as anyone. Moreno had covered a lot of ground and was slowing. It would be nice if the fresh legs were a player better than Dyachenko, but Soehn has to use the tools the front office provides. In Dyachenko's defense, he made an excellent pass into the area that wasn't converted.

Posted by: Running Cloud | May 30, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Matthai,

Bradley playing Guzan for WP purposes makes perfect sense and - in the long run - will help the USMNT.

First, the matches are friendlies - typically the preferred venue for giving players 12-18 some playing time and a chance to show their mettle.

Second, Howard is coming off a grueling english season. He is entitled to a bit of rest. He is the #1 and continues to be.

Third, Guzan needs to develop. While Howard is the assured #1, Guzan is a few years younger and needs quality minutes to become a strong #2, with eye to becoming #1 in 5-6 years.

Fourth - perhaps most important - getting Guzan a WP that paves the way for him to move to Aston Villa helps the national team immeasurably. The quality of training will be top notch. Plus, the quality of competition will be much higher. To go from Everton starter as #1 with Villa starter as #2 will be a nice situation for the Nats and give them some peace of mind going into qualifiers.

Posted by: Erick | May 30, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Wells vs. Reis. You saw it last night, and there's a story there about team philosophy. To be "fair" to Wells, DC United has never invested in top-level goalkeeping to anchor the defense, and has been successful. This is in contrast to New England (Reis) and Houston (Onstad) who have excellent keepers to anchor the defense. DC has traditionally just obtained "good enough" keepers (please, no overinflating of Troy Perkins.)

But Wells isn't even "good enough." The US produces high level keepers--its the position we are best at. Why can't we have a better goalkeeper?

On the small crowd, Foxboro is horrible, hard to get to, and depressing. The Revs need a stadium much closer to Boston and mass transit, where the closest entertainment is something other than a Motel 6.

Posted by: macheath | May 30, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Sure it's possible we'll make the playoffs. The problem is that we will have no chance at winning the Cup because of the keeper situation (barring a trade for Seitz).

Posted by: jm | May 30, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Wells sucks but at least he's making some noise now. A lot of field noise was getting picked up which is nice. Whose nickname is Chalo? Martinez? Thought I heard Wells yelling that.

Posted by: Dadryan | May 30, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Erick on the Guzan situation (I mean only one keeper can take the field at a time). Having your #1 and #2 guys playing in the PL will be huge.

However, I'm with Matthai on all the other positions for which coaches uaually use 3 subs. If you are not good enough to start and not good enough to get subbed into a game here or there then you probably have no business applying for a Work Permit. The PL is starting to get littered with our guys who are not even worthy for bench duty.

Posted by: Kosh | May 30, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh | May 30, 2008 10:03 AM

Expect what you want, but results (i.e., standings) are the only measure. True, we'll have two all important opportunities at silverware coming up...the US Open Cup that no MLS team seems to value, and the made-for-$$$ Super Liga where we'll play most if not all of our games at home (a true test against the Mexican sides). Those of us in the "we'll make the playoffs" crowd will be supporting DCU in those efforts, but we're also playing the hand we're dealt. Given where DCU is in the standings (i.e., results), and given the lack of playoff success the last two years after winning the Supporters Shield, I'll take just making the playoffs and rooting for a deep run.

Posted by: BillyBob | May 30, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

The one bullet he did fire was Dyachenko for Moreno. It backfired.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | May 30, 2008 9:44 AM

How did it backfire? I thought he was fine. If nothing else, he's the enforcer protecting Gallardo from what was becoming "kick the guys in white jerseys".

Posted by: JkR | May 30, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Erick,

I'm with you on this being good for Guzan and the NT in the long run, I wasn't railing against that, but rather the practice that they will play somebody every game they can just to get them to the 75% limit, whether they are deserving or not, which is lame.

There is no other reason you see guys like Wolff getting time in games like this. Why not run out Rolfe or Cooper or hell even Findley who all would benefit much more from this experience?

Too often decisions are made at the NT level based on cronyism which is holding us back in the long run, and I'm sick of that mentality that we need to do this favor for players.

I honestly don't care if players go to England or not, if our WC team is 100% MLS but is the best we can put out there I'd be happy, if they all played in Mexico and Colombia but were our best option I'd be happy.

If a player really wants to play in Europe but can't get the WP and is forced to look at Germany or Spain or France is that really so bad? It didn't seem to hurt Reyna or Keller when they played outside of England.

As I said earlier Guzan needs the experience to be a good backup for Howard and is a legit prospect for a long NT future, so I'm glad we have him playing rather than someone like Keller, but this pattern has happened so many times in the past that we play someone to showcase them for a job more than to benefit our team it drives me nuts.

I'm only speaking up now because it is another clear case of this crap and it really needs to stop.

Posted by: Matthai | May 30, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

United is waking up. To me the most worthless player on the team is Jose Carvallo, back up keeper. If Carvallo isn't better than Zach Wells then there is absolutly no point in having him on the roster.

Posted by: Harpo | May 30, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

It backfired because we lost Moreno's ball holding skill and lost the lead in the ensuing minutes. With Moreno off the field teams can concentrate on Gallardo. Jaime seems to know this which is probably why he was pissed at getting yanked.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | May 30, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Enough star power to draw 8,000 people with tens of thousands of screaming empty seats... (tired of watching crappy attendances)

Posted by: MLS | May 30, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Can we afford Oswaldo Sanchez?

Just kidding - I know we can't

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 30, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I think its still too early to starting thinking about stringing together a lot of wins. The team played much better and has been progressively so. But while we'll start to see DC hang on to a few games like this, I imagine there are still going to be a few blown games in the future.
Seriously though, how bad is Carvallo? What's he doing in the reserve matches? Chasing butterflies; drinking on the job?
Also, while Reis was good, I didn't think he was THAT fantastic. Blocking Jaime's shot was his best effort, many of the rest of his saves were more or less right at him or the strikers took too many touches and he was right on top of them before they left fly. He was just solid the whole time and United couldn't muster a really good first shot.

Posted by: Skippy | May 30, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: andrew | May 30, 2008 4:10 AM

I was wondering if anyone else thought that was sketchy. Personally, I couldn't tell whether it was momentum from Reis rolling on the ground that flung his leg over, or if it was a kick. It did look suspicious though...

As for the game, it was not great, but considering where the team was two weeks ago, it is an improvement.

Finally, I am yet again overwhelmed by the horrible feeling of Nicol's thug-ball style. And since the ref was dear Abby, what more can be said about that?

Posted by: Rob | May 30, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

The good thing is that we are moving up the single table slightly, above San Jose and RSL with KC, Chivas, Houston & New York within one win of us overtaking them.

The bad thing? Except New England everyother team has between 1 and 3 games in hand due to the congestion we have at the beginning of the season to accomodate our July Superliga break. Sigh.

Posted by: bluemeanies | May 30, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DirtyHarry | May 30, 2008 10:29 AM

I'll respect your opinion, but disagree. I thought Jaime was done at that point, that our attacking was behind us, and that we needed some grit in the midfield.

But your point is well taken. Jaime can do all of those things, I submit he wasn't doing them (not to blame him, but he can't hold the ball if he doesn't get it.)

BTW, I'll say again something I was saying earlier in the year: This team doesn't seem 'fit' enough to play with a level of intensity for 90 minutes.

Posted by: JkR | May 30, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

From the Post's sports section:

"United's under-17 academy team defeated Sevilla (Spain), 1-0, in its second match at a major youth tournament in Spain. In its opener Tuesday, United was beaten by Espanyol of Barcelona, 3-2."

I'd think that, with scores like this, some of the United youngsters are catching the attention of European clubs.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 30, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

What about this Dominic Cirvi guy? It says that he is out of contract. Who is he? If he's on the national team for some exposure, I wonder if we've talked to him? Who drafted him?

Posted by: moreno4prez | May 30, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh | May 30, 2008 10:03 AM

Kosh, I expect them to go undefeated every preseason and every year those a-holes dissapoint me! ;)

Ok, all kidding aside, I'm with you that just making the playoffs is not a goal to shoot for when you're United but with our start that's what we're looking at now, getting back into playoff position. You can't talk title until you are in the position to advance and right now we aren't.

These next 5 games will tell if we're back in it or if we're starring at 2000 again. If we can claw back to .500 and work out the kinks in July then look out MLS, if we tank the next few games that we should win then we'd be looking at a miracle to make the playoffs. Gotta keep things in perspective.

Posted by: Matthai | May 30, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

@Rob

It looked intentional to me.

Posted by: Matthai | May 30, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

@BillyBob

There's also the CCL which is bigger than the two competitions you just mentioned.

Plus you missed my point - by EXPECTING a playoff berth, it is understood that one is not only in support to obtain it, but also to do something worthy with said berth. So my expectations for trophies is not mutally exclusive to supporting the team in it's efforts to obtain them.

I just feel like JUST making the playoffs is a goal for the younger clubs (RSL, TFC). I mean no disrespect to those clubs, it's just that they are working on establishing thier images and their traditions right now. I believe that DC is past that stage and, personnel deficiencies aside, are potentially much better than where we are in the tables. That is why I find it hard to excessively pat those guys on the back for blowing a 2-0 lead.

Posted by: Kosh | May 30, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I was there only eight rows up, so could see Jaime's face up close. He was done. He had a great game, with more energy, speed and tenacity than I expected, but he was done.

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 30, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

For what it's worth Steve, attendance in New England doesn't usually increase until the summer after school has let out, and even then, midweek games are still tough draws.

A big reason is Foxboro's isolation. I live in Cambridge just across the Charles River from Boston, and it took one hour to drive down to the match last night (which was fantastic actually), but it took a solid two hours to get home after the match for a trip that should take 45 minutes.

There's been increasing chatter that the Krafts are close to securing land in Somerville for a SSS, which would be a fantastic location just outside Boston and accessible via public transportation, but in the meantime, we'll have to make-do with Gillette.

Posted by: Evan | May 30, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: moreno4prez | May 30, 2008 10:38 AM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cervi attended the University of Tulsa from 2004 to 2006 and made 31 starts. He was drafted by the Chicago Fire with the 12th pick of the 2008 MLS SuperDraft, but he did not sign for the club after rejecting a $32,000 contract offered by MLS. He was the second keeper taken in the draft.

Posted by: emanon | May 30, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

@Kosh: That's a very Brazilian attitude. I feel that same way about the WNT. Keep it up.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 30, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Rob, Matthai:

I rolled that replay of Reis's hissy fit back and forth about 6 times. Go back and look at his face, if you get a chance. It was intentional. Matt Reis is a thug of the highest order.

Posted by: d, dc | May 30, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

WELLS BLOWS! He has no clue between the posts! SOEHRRY'N MUST GO! Why would you take OUT Moreno for SH*TSTENKO? why! Moreno was on point tonight! are these the best bench players we have?

BRING IN Pasarella To Manage this team... we have witnessed the talent tonight! NOW LETS GET A REAL LEADER!

vAMOs UniTeD!

WAY TO SHOW EMOTION TONIGHT MORENO!

WELLS, do like your name, find one and JUMP IN!

Posted by: DCU Fan in SOCAL | May 30, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I'll take a draw against NE, although at this point, with this many losses already in the books, I dunno how many more draws the team can handle if it wants to make the playoffs.

On Guzan, I have absolutely NO problem with Coach Bradley helping him get enough time on the USMNT to get a work permit in England. It may be an Anglophile thing with U.S. Soccer, but I'd want my MNT goalkeepers -- heck, ALL my players -- with as much top-level, world-class experience as possible, and MLS just ain't there yet.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 30, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Quaranta had an improved game ... he got fouled several times during runs that weren't called ... Q also seemed more confident on the ball.

A new goalie wouldn't solve all of United's problems ... but it's a GOOD start.

Posted by: United fan in TN | May 30, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

That's what I love about this game.....the emotional rollercoasters.
The high of dominating the table leaders at home and going up 2-0.
The low of watching my team slowly fall apart and end up with a draw.
The resignation to the fact that 1 point was good because another 10 minutes and it would have been a loss.
All that aside, I am starting to see signs of the team that was expected. They need to figure out the defensive lapses. They seem to come from everywhere - Namoff, Wells, McTavish, Peralta, Martinez, Simms, Fred, Q, no one can be exempted. I am starting to see a better collective and play for each other attitude, so maybe those gaffes will begin to fade. Maybe.
As for Reis, he played well and, importantly in contrast to Wells, was always in the right position.
And I thought he took a clear swipe at Emilio after Luci scored. That's Reis though, a cheating, dirty bastage.

Posted by: marksman | May 30, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

What happened to Burch? He was a revalation last season now he's stuck on the bench. What happened to him. He's fallen out of favor pretty quickly. With Perlata (sp?) out I was stunned they chose to start Mediate and move Martinez to LB over starting Burch.

Posted by: Omar | May 30, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

@Harpo
Was it the Chicago game where Wells took that huge hit in the opening minutes? What would we do if Wells really got hurt?
Put in Thorpe?
Give me a break.

Posted by: Dadryan | May 30, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Chicago has the rights to Cervi. Hard to imagine we could get him, but not impossible, I guess.

Somerville for the Revs? On public trransit -- where? By Porter Street? If it's on the red line, that would be very smart -- great for the kids at Harvard, BC and BU, not to mention close by Tufts -- just hard to imagine the land is there and affordable.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 30, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Right now, Senor Tom have me wash his car. Later they have me clean up the office. Sometimes, Senor Kevin order me to dress up like the DC United bid, Talon (why you name your bird 'heel' make no sense).

Last game at RFK, boss sent me behind section 300 to cook at the pupusa stand.

I mentioned playing arquero, but they get mad, hit me, and take away my lunch.

Posted by: A guy named Carvallo | May 30, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Actually our U-17s getting attention in Europe is a bad thing if they are any good. The way the league structured the system so that players could maintain amatuer NCAA eligibility teams only acquire MLS rights but all players are essentialy international/USL free agents. It might also make them ineligable NCAA wise if they get a game with the reserves. After some actual practice of trying to bring along youth team players the league will be cursing out the NCAA 2 years down.

Posted by: bluemeenies | May 30, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Dyachenko's performance last night doesn't deserve the criticism from Goff and some posters.

He hasn't been that good this year but did fine last night in his 10 minutes plus stoppage time. He might have even gotten a gamewinning assist if Khano Smith had got called for holding back Quaranta and preventing him getting onto Rod's cross at the far post in the 90th minute. It wasn't as bad as the non-call early in the game where Heaps had a fistful of very stretched Emilio jersey in the penalty area. But Okulaja let NE commit fouls to stop 2 pretty clear scoring opportunities.

Overall, DC played its best soccer of the year for 65 minutes. After Emilio's shot (off the wall pass from Gallardo) was luckily kicked away by Reis, DC seemed to run out of gas and allowed the Revs to be the primary attackers for the rest of the game.

Posted by: garbaggio | May 30, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I thought Mediate looked pretty good back there, perhaps there's a language barrier with Peralta/Wells that was affecting their coordination.

Posted by: kickoff | May 30, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: garbaggio | May 30, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I think Wells could sit a few games, but I'm not sure about getting rid of him. Anyone care to make a list of young players that we got rid of in the past who became much better later on? Just thinking that if everyone had Wells pegged last year to be a Nat one day, maybe we just need to wait while he figures his stuff out.

The rest of the team? Yeah, it's a long season. Seems that every year someone starts on top and drops hard, and someone hangs in the cellar and climbs in the fall. I'm bummed, but not worried. Yet.

Posted by: e | May 30, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Soehn is not an excellent coach. I have yet to see him make a truly ingenious in-game adjustment. That was the difference last night. NE's coach made some tactical changes and got his team focused after the break. United started fading a little before half time and never came back focused.

And yes Wells is not fit to be a starting keeper in this league. Reis showed what keepers are supposed to do last night: keep your team in the game.

Posted by: Bart | May 30, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The competition takes a back seat again.

Today MLS/SUM/FCB announced the two games that Barca will be playing here. The most notable is the August 3 match-up of FCB vs CD Guadalajara at Soldier Field.

For all of you scoring at home, Chivas, should it advance that far would play the SuperLiga final August 5. And likely NOT in Chicago.

MLS - you want to understand why fans, writers, talking heads, and all alike whack you for you decision making? Well here's the perfect example. The big money tournament that you are trumping to succeed in the hearts, wallets, and television minds of fans on both sides of the border will be shunted in terms of the glory exhibition two nights before. Chivas will make more money playing Barca that night than they can win from SuperLiga.

I side with the league in its decision making on a great number of things, but they screw the pooch with these friendlies.

[Throws hands in the air]

It's really hard to defend the league in the light of these calls it makes. The next time people say "I don't care because the competition doesn't matter" I won't be able to refute them. The next time I hear that the MLS office is a money grab - I'll have to agree with them.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 30, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Bart, I'm not sure what changes you were looking for last night. That was the weakest looking bench I can recall.

Nicol made a good change because he had 1 or 2 subs who could actually implement a tactical change. Soehn only had body for body. There was no one on the bench who was going to change our attacking tactics more than Rod and Burch.

Posted by: JkR | May 30, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 30, 2008 1:34 AM

Posted by: CMJ | May 30, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Omar,

Burch never really stepped up his game defensively and was kind of a liability in the back. Teams also now know he is slow and only has a left foot so they were able to shut him down pretty easily.

Posted by: DRB | May 30, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Mediate did not look bad in the back last night. And I agree that Burch should be considered for to start at left back with Martinez in the center. Either alternative beats Peralta. (Question for Mr. Insider: How did Burch become the 2008 version of Bobby Boswell - in Soehn's doghouse with no apparent chance to get out? BB played himself in there - has Burch done the same? Anyone else think we could use the excellent service from the left flank that Burch provides?)

garbaggio - Gotta agree; that was Dyachenko's best game of the season last night. That my friend is what we call damning with faint praise.

Posted by: BillyBob | May 30, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice if we had a dangerous sub to put in at the end of the game. Dyachenko and Burch aren't much of a threat.

Posted by: ff | May 30, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Fisch Fry nailed the Cervi problem on the head; Chicago owns his rights. However, it is sounding like McBride wants to go to Chicago (who knows if it is true, but those are the initial reports), and if Chicago wants him they are going to have to start doing some major wheelin' and dealin'. Please, DC FO, be there to make something happen. I don't know what we really have to give, but we need a real keeper badly. The Wells experiment is a failed experiment and needs to stop.

Maybe we could trade Niell for Cervi, straight up? A guy can dream...

Posted by: elopingcamel | May 30, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Everyone lamenting Soehn's lack of tactical adjustments:

What is your magic solution, then? With the players we had available, what tactical move was available to Soehn to counter?

A lot of times, tactics don't matter; it's just a matter of being more focused, more attentive, and playing better. The Revs tightened up in central midfield and, in replacing Thompson with Cristman (moving Nyassi to the right), put out a more attacking team. Yes, it was the right move for Nicol to make, but you have to consider the flip side of that coin: If Nicol is so much more intelligent than Soehn, shouldn't his starting lineup have had Cristman in and Nyassi on the right? Nicol blundered at the start and recovered from it. Soehn put out his best team (which, generally speaking, is a good way to go about winning games).

This isn't a defense of Soehn (who has made his fair share of mistakes), but more pointing out the flaw in thinking Soehn was outcoached. Soehn's team dominated the game and comes away unlucky to have only tied, despite being on the road. How is that being outcoached?

***

Rob:

I have to disagree with the "thug ball" accusation to a certain extent. The Revs play physically, and Okulaja (as always) let them get away with some obvious fouls. However, last night the Revs played us much more straight up than they did against Columbus on the weekend. All they did against the Crew was foul anyone with skill the moment they went 1v1. Rogers must have been shoved, clotheslined, or hacked down 10 times. Credit to them: it worked, since they got the win. However, it was disgraceful from a neutral perspective.

JkR:

Your fitness point may have merit, but I think last night was more a combination of factors. Reis making so many saves took the wind out of our sails, while we were also on the road (psychologically, we were probably accepting a draw by the 80th minute). I didn't see too much out there that said players were out of gas (other than Moreno, who for him ran a lot last night).

Omar:

What happened to Burch? Basically, Soehn switched things up to see if we could find a working combo, and Martinez looked good at left back. I don't think Burch is in the doghouse as much as just being outplayed. Martinez has looked more confident on the dribble, and can play with both feet. Neither of his feet are as good as Burch's left, but that ability to use both makes him much tougher to defend.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 30, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

DCU had a collective step towards playing United football for 50 plus minutes,and their building up some confidence...

But damn, can somebody please get Wells a library card!!!

Cuz that boy CAN'T READ any balls crossed into the box.

Keep up the good work United, also it was nice to see Benny on the sideline, even if he's not suited up...

3 points next round

Posted by: Cashous | May 30, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

My critique would include the ongoing problems that aren't fixed. Screw in game adjustments, we don't have a ton of offensive talent waiting on the bench. But how are we not getting better at set-piece defending? How is Wells (who definitely played better) making the same mistakes today that he made 10 games ago and every game in between? Why is our defense still filled with so many holes? My contention is that he is not making enough progress in the areas that we should be improving.

Posted by: moreno4prez | May 30, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

What do I have to do to get a start around here? Did I park in Kevin Paynes spot, did I eat the last orange slice at practice, does Zach have incriminating photos of the boss?

I can't be thaaaat bad, ay caramba =(

Posted by: Carvalho | May 30, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't know much about Cervi, myself, but a very trusted and knowledgeable fellow DCU fan who writes about college soccer and who has seen Cervi many times in the recent past, says Cervi isn't the answer.

Posted by: Beaker | May 30, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

From what I saw of Cervi, he's definately not the answer. He's a long term project at best. He has some of the physical skills needed and his size doesn't hurt, but he's prone to indecisiveness and bad judgement. He's definately not an upgrade at this point and especially not if he is going to command a high salary.

Posted by: Not Cervi | May 30, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I would have stopped those shots.

Posted by: Hope Solo | May 30, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

CMJ,

Just FYI, but the MBTA does not run trains from South Station to Gillette Stadium for stand-along Revolution matches, and sometimes, not even the double-headers or other major matches.

"I agree in part with this - certainly the bad economy is taking its toll as are gas prices. But on the transportation issue, you can actually take rail to Gilette from Boston South Station and basically get dropped right at the doorstep of the place.

Posted by: CMJ | May 30, 2008 11:49 AM"

Posted by: Evan | May 30, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

DC needs to replace their keeper now because he is killing them. He is by far the worst keeper in the league and it shows by the fact he continues to be out of position on most goals and his lack of experience. Matt Pickens is available now that he has been released by QPR. You can't afford Kasey Keller or would he play on the east coast. Replace him and your team will probably win those close games.

Posted by: Matt | May 30, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

So what do you called what happened in the Chivas game? Because heaven knows Preki was hurting for players more than Soehn was. But Preki studied the field and made one minor adjustment at the start of the second half (i.e., push Jesse Marsch up into D-mid from defense) and BAM - DC is under instant pressure that continued and resulted in our coughing up 3 goals. All Preki did to spark the fire was adjust what he already had on the field. If that ain't outcoaching please tell me what is?

Yesterday, Nicol had a plan and Soehn had a plan. Nicol quickly realized that his plan sucked so he adjusted, Soehn did not. If both coaches are executing a plan and one recognizes that his plan is not working - adjusts and the turns the game...I could see how the word "outcoached" could come to mind.

Yes Soehn is hurting for bodies and talent, and he was the poorer coach (in terms or resources) last night. But on the night where he was the richer coach (see CUSA) he failed to anticipate the intentions of his opponent, he failed to go to plan B (if he has one) when plan A was failing. That is why I and many others on this board have used the word "outcoached".

Sometimes it ain't about what do (or do not) you have on the bench as much as it is about making what you have work for the desired outcome.

Posted by: Kosh | May 30, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I hate to whine and I know that I'm biased when it comes to DCU but, NE played like a bunch of thugs and it was just plain ugly.

Joseph should have been carded early and often. NE players consistently went in late or went studs up when the ball was in the air. I saw elbows thrown at heads and Christman throw down McTavish after the play had moved on. And Reis trying to kick Emilio in the head was obvious and absolutely classless...in fact, I think one could safely use classless to describe the entire NE team. I thought I was watching DC play Chicago at times.

The 'tackle'/bodycheck that send Fred off was absurd, there was absolutely no attempt to play the ball. I'd be surprised if Fred didn't crack a rib there.
Where the hell was the ref?

I understand that the MLS is supposed to be a physical league but what is the point of that type of physicality? I'm all for hard tackles but, it doesn't make you tough to kick a guy in the head after he scored on you. It doesn't make you a better player to plant your studs into the ankle of a guy who is quicker than you. And it doesn't make you a 'scrapper' to kick the legs out from under a guy who is trying to play the ball...and punching someone in the face after the play only means that you are stupid...unless the ref only gives you a yellow.

Posted by: bribri | May 30, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I am definately happy with the performance of the boys. Well, the first half at least. The second half they came out kinda sluggish.

I just do not understand the love affair that Tommy has for Dyachenko.

I thought that Wells, after the score was tied, started to play better. Made a decision and stuck with it. Though, at the end of the game, there was that sigh that Wells made and the first thing on my mind was "Saved my job for a week at least"

(meaning that's what Wells was thinking)

Posted by: dogboy | May 30, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

If Larentowitz' hit cracked a rib Fred needs to be drinking some more milk, but I do agree that was a hockey type of hit and was garbage. Even worse was the stupid crap eating smirk on that stupid gingers face afterward.
I hope alls well with the Peraltas and he comes back with some proud papa fight in him. It's funny that someone mentioned signing Brashear(sp) last week but we sure could have used him to put a hit on the Ginger.

Posted by: Dadryan | May 30, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Off topic. (I'm surprised we've made it this far and have stuck to DC-NE and MNT comments).

MLS is named 2008 Professional Sports League Of The Year. The year is not yet half-finished, but this is a sports business award, so maybe they're talking fiscal year.

One needs a subscription to view the full statements on the nominees (biz journals, what do you expect?) but it seems like MLS won by attrition. From the teasers, the issues were: MLB (steriods), NFL (Vick), and NBA (something about the all-star weekend debacle). MLS, in contrast, was acknowledged for DPs and increased attendance and ratings. Oddly enough Toronto FC is listed as a nominee for the same award. The WTA was another also nominee.

Tim Leiweke beat out Don Garber as Exec OTY.

Winners here:

Nominees here:

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 30, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Did you catch any of the reserve game today or talk to anyone to see if Manzonelli played for the Revs and if so, how he looked?

Posted by: jscraig | May 30, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

...I didn't see too much out there that said players were out of gas (other than Moreno, who for him ran a lot last night)...
-------------------
Toward the end of the second half Gallardo wasn't going to the ball and had a couple of passes to him intercepted because of it.

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 30, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

if Manzonelli played for the Revs and if so, how he looked?
Posted by: jscraig | May 30, 2008 2:20 PM
++++++++++++++++++++

He played. Details can be found at

Posted by: emanon | May 30, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

This will likely be the biggest event at RFK so far this year:

Is anyone going to see it? I wonder whether the Post will be covering it. (If Goff needs the time off, we can see whether the Post has any bench strength.)

Posted by: tri-village | May 30, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matt | May 30, 2008 1:37 PM

I think Pickens only went to the home of football, ummm sorry for my bias... QPR, so that he could start getting acclimated to Europe. He'll be looking for another job abroad, would be surprised if he comes back to MLS.

Posted by: Kev | May 30, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I just do not understand the love affair that Tommy has for Dyachenko.
[snip]

Posted by: dogboy | May 30, 2008 2:04 PM

Boy, I will second and third that comment and would rep dogboy if I could.

Mrs. Beaker started calling him a lumberjack because of his speed (lack thereof), awkwardness at times and occasional poor playing ability.

OK, I'm not 100% sure how she got to the "lumberjack" nickname, but I agree with her that he's a dud. I do see flashes of brilliance with the ball at his feet in traffic, but more often than not he's got a first touch of lead (that's the Pb type of lead), and his enforcer ability is reduced to crunching, awkward, card-inducing, embarrassing fouls. Last night he had a least 2 situations where if he had a graceful first touch, he'd have been streaking toward Reis 1-on-1. Needless to say, that didn't happen.

I don't see him as a reasonable replacement for any of the starters, and certainly not Moreno or Gallardo.

I wish we'd saved the money and the draft picks it took to get him back from TFC.

Posted by: Beaker | May 30, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

A bit off topic:
Am I the only one kinda excited for Sven becoming manager of Mexico?

I always dig raising the level of competition in our zone.

Posted by: Ryan from Baltimore | May 30, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Is it me, or does Cervi have a frighteningly odd shaped head?

He looks like a black Qtip. Or maybe Bert from Sesame Street: (I present Exhibit A, Your Honor...)

Seriously, the fact that he has been out of contract this long, without bites from other clubs is a worry (they only need to beat Cervi's $32k with Chicago). He had a trial with Celtic in April, but no big buzz resulted. I am sure he and Celtic were hoping he could pencil-whip an Italian passport and count as a euro player. Without that, probably zero chance. He is getting some pretty big looks from Nowak/Bradley for a guy who is not playing regularly.

If he were truly good, someone would be after him and someone would have signed/paid him.

I would bet that Chicago dumps his right to another club as part of a McBride drug deal. I also would not be surprised if as part of a three way deal, Emilio was traded to Chicago, so that Chicago can cut his contract up before July 1 and open up the DP slot for McBride, and DC ends up with the rights to Q-tip-Bert (Qbert - remember that video game?).

Posted by: Erick | May 30, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there, if only to see if I can score a Chapin jersey...

--------------

This will likely be the biggest event at RFK so far this year:

Posted by: tri-village | May 30, 2008 2:44 PM

Posted by: Juan-John | May 30, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Why does Josh Wolff continue to make it onto the US Rosters??????????????

Posted by: JLman | May 30, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I doubt that game will outdraw Beckham's visit in late June.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | May 30, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"Guatemala Coach Ramon "El Primitivo" Maradiaga's roster includes many regulars, including Fredy Thompson, Guillermo Ramirez and Dwight Pezzarossi."

I was wondering where my presidential hopeful was these days.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 30, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Rob, Finally someone else who saw the crap that reis tried to pull. First let me start by saying that I am not a fan of either DC or Revs, but I am DEFINITELY NOT a fan of Matt Reis. That is not the first time he pulls that crap. Some of the higher ups (that you MLS replay committee-man) should take a look at that play. I honestly believe if he had made contact with any part of Emilio's body he would have seriously injured him. Steven, please tell me you noticed that too! Thanks. (First Time poster, LONG time reader.)

Posted by: Chava | May 30, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Whose nickname is Chalo? Martinez? Thought I heard Wells yelling that.
Posted by: Dadryan | May 30, 2008 10:14 AM

Yes. I believe it was Dan Steinberg who revealed early on that Gonzalo Martinez's nickname is "Chalo".

By the way, how about the Mediate brothers who were playing central defense last night.

Posted by: DCUMD | May 30, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Why does Josh Wolff continue to make it onto the US Rosters??????????????

Posted by: JLman | May 30, 2008 3:32 PM

He's only on this roster because he's not an MLS player (well, not yet at least). This friendly only squad is mostly comprised of European based players. Plus, I think that Bradley wants to help him get a new gig.

Posted by: Kev | May 30, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I doubt that game will outdraw Beckham's visit in late June.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | May 30, 2008 3:40 PM
==========================================

Which is why I deliberately said "so far this year."

Posted by: tri-village | May 30, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

re: Chava - i saw Reis attempting to kick Emilio in the head and it was close...

as for the mediate brothers.. that was so annoying. someone apparently didn't have a clue who was playing. perhaps he should read the roster before announcing.

I thought McTavish played pretty well, but you wouldn't have known just listening to that broadcast.

Posted by: therealfan | May 30, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey. El Enano Neil scored a goal today. Maybe he is going to comeback to the first team.

Posted by: DC United Newsman | May 30, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Why does Josh Wolff continue to make it onto the US Rosters??????????????

Posted by: JLman | May 30, 2008 3:32 PM

Posted by: Kev | May 30, 2008 3:54 PM

There are other European based players that deserve a shot with the National team before Wolff. He shouldn't even be called in, but he started. That's inexcusable. I will never understand USMNT coaches fear of playing talented youth against tough competition - especially when they're already better than their veteran counterparts (i.e. Freddy, Charlie Davies, etc. vs. Wolff). I simply don't get it.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 30, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Has everyone seen the "On Faith" chat with Fred?
Q. Do you talk about religion in the D. C. United locker room? Do other players talk about their faith?
A. Yeah, we definitely talk about it. Sometimes they ask questions of me and [fellow Brazilian] Luciano Emilio. He's also very religious. We will answer them or help them out.

---I thought Olsen was the chaplain.

Posted by: gringo | May 30, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

time for soehn and wells to dust off their resumes and start looking for other jobs because their days are numbered. They suck

Posted by: bristol | May 30, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

mentioning chats - Gallardo did one recently with ESPNDeportes.

The team has posted a translation of it

Posted by: emanon | May 30, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Let's be fair. If we're calling out thugs -- Quaranta gets a yellow card every game, and Burch gets one every time he starts. The truly amazing thing is that Martinez does not. If anyone plays like this is a hockey game, it's Martinez. The way he shoves or slams into other players as they're headed out of bounds -- I don't know how he avoids getting cards. Biggest thug out there -- funny thing is that every time someone bumps him, he rolls around for two or three minutes. He must have a really bad back, in addition to all those muscle pulls in his lower body.

Also, I don't think Smith fouled Quaranta -- Tino just couldn't get there. Not really stressed over it because Reis had it covered. It was a nice idea by Dyachenko. Too bad he couldn't bend it around the defense and have it curl back where Tino could get possession. We'd all be showing Rod lots of love....

Still, we're gonna crush the Dynamo, right?

Also looking forward to the USMNT giving the Spanish a run for their money. Actually, I guess that's a possibility. We don't match up so well against the British because they're even more physical than we are. Gooch just might bludgeon Torres into submission...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 30, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Much thanks to being the badge for the report on the reserves game. Sounds like Carvallo is getting it together....At least, he's making saves...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 30, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I mean "Behind the Badge".

Posted by: I mean "Behind the Badge" | May 30, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Behind the badge reports that Neill scored on a three-quarter volley. I know what a volley and a half-volley are. What is a 3/4 volley? A height-adjusted volley?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 30, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Link to Fred's "On Faith" Q&A:

Keep praying for those wins...

(and I mean that in a positive, non-sarcastic way)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 30, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

let me start off by saying im not a fan of either team. that being said, i would be embarassed to be a NE fan after seeing that game. u rarely see a team whine so much. they made rash challenges and were upset when the ref made the foul call.

as for reis-that looked like a bush-league move after the goal. from the limited replays espn2 played, it sure looked like he meant to hit the player with his leg. unacceptable.

Sharie Joseph(sp)- always thought he was a good player....my mind is beginning to change. he seems to pass well and plays defense well enough, but he seems a bit like a thug wannabe

Posted by: adam | May 30, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

moreno4prez:

While I agree that our roster is not built that well, I think you're overestimating what coaching can do. You could put the best coach in the world in charge of DC United, and Rod Dyachenko is not going to suddenly turn into a good, reliable player. Should we be better at set piece defending? Absolutely, and like I said, I definitely do not look at Soehn as flawless. Wells, I think, was poorly appraised. People saw him last year for Houston against Pachuca (where he could have easily given up 10 goals in that 2nd leg, but stood on his head to keep the Dynamo in the game), but didn't see him anywhere else. Several non-DCU fans posted before the season began that we'd be unhappy with Wells (including the much-maligned Mastodon Juan), and they were right.

All this misses my main point, though: Soehn was not at all outcoached last night.

Kosh:

Again, I was talking about the game last night. However, since you brought it up:

Preki tried to experiment with a 343 that went terribly (similar to Nicol's poor choice of a starting XI last night). DC didn't play that well but were bossing the game because Chivas was awful. The move Preki made back to a 442 didn't change the game at all; the first Chivas goal (which came out of nowhere) did. That game had 1-0 written all over it until Marsch managed to slip his shot through. And then, suddenly, Chivas realized that this game was still on the table, and our players collectively gave up. The failure there isn't coaching or tactics; it's attitude. That game was a perfect display of how losing becomes a habit. It's hard to keep your struggling team from dropping its head in a game like that when the player most likely to not let heads drop is at home with a bum ankle.

You point out that Nicol adjusted his plan because it sucked, and that Soehn didn't. What in the world would Soehn have changed? We were still entirely in control to start the 2nd half. Nicol was even quoted as saying that there was nothing complicated in his moves or halftime speech, just more heart and grit.

gringo:

Olsen can legally preside over a wedding as an officiant, but it's non-religious. A friend of mine got the same thing so he could legally marry people during a minor league baseball ceremony, as well as marrying 2 friends of mine a couple weeks ago. You get the certificate online.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | May 30, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 30, 2008 5:30 PM
==========================================

There is a local blog called Quarter Volley. Perhaps you can get an answer there:

Posted by: tri-village | May 30, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey, did everybody see this? It's in the NYTimes Goal blog:

"Who are the 100 greatest players from outside Britain to play in England? According to the April issue of the British soccer magazine FourFourTwo, No. 1 is the skillful and impetuous Frenchman Eric Cantona, who played for Leeds United and Manchester United from 1992 to 1997.

Four Americans made the list: No. 100 Kasey Keller, No. 99 John Harkes, No. 44 Roy Wegerle and No. 39 Brad Friedel."

I don't know if his career beats that of Wegerle or Harkes (those two both had goals of the year), but I feel like McBride surely beats out Keller. Keller had some great moments on the international stage, but in England? I guess his League Cup for Leicester CIty counts for something...

Still, it's amazing that four Yanks would make such a list. (OK, it's dicey to call Wegerle a Yank, but still...)

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 30, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 30, 2008 6:24 PM

Not only should McBride be on that list, but I'm thinking Tim Howard should be somewhere in between Friedel and Keller.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 30, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 30, 2008 6:24 PM

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 30, 2008 7:07 PM

I think Howard needs another season or two to get that nod.

Posted by: Matthai | May 30, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

@Chest Rockwell

On the Chivas game I am going to have to disagree with you - Preki made the change at the half and there was an instant momentum shift - we were immediately under the kosh and that pressure increased until we eventually surrendered the tying goal. Then...well you stated how it went down after that. It could be because I was sweating bullets at the time but that game stopped looking like a 1-nil game after the half to me.

My position on this, and we can agree to disagree here, is that in the Chivas game (switch to 442 as you say) and the NE game - those coaches were losing and then they made changes that turned their games around and we failed to compensate and keep the upperhand. Do we need to react and make a sub? No. Do we need to change formations? Probably not. But someone has to see, someone has to feel the change, sense the the shift and direct the compensation for it. Should the players recognize it and react better? I should think so. Is it the captain's job to whip their butts into action and direct the adjustments? Yup. But at the end of the day, one guy is getting paid to manage and orchestrate the game plan and make the necessary adjustments to the flow of the game. We saw one person do it in the Chivas match, and another in the NE match. Sadly it wasn't our dude.

I have never played professionally but in the many amature and pickup matches I have played my teammates and I had the game sense to feel where the other team was weak and exploit it. When the opponent compensated for our exploitation we would immediately look for another chinc in the armor and go after it - on the fly. The same applied when we were getting slaughtered - we sensed the opponent's feeding frenzy and tried to plug the leak the best we could. I think it's fair to expect people who get paid to do that to get it done with some diligence.

Posted by: Kosh | May 30, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse