Friendly Anyone?

As Insider loyalists have known for some time, local promoters have been attempting to stage an El Salvador-Guatemala friendly this month at Estadio RFK. Today the deal was finalized: Fri., May 30, 8 p.m. Tickets purchased in advance will cost $30 or $40. Tickets purchased on the day of the match will set you back $35 or $50.

Considering El Salvador drew more than 22,000 for a World Cup qualifier at RFK against Anguilla in March, what do you think this one will draw?

By Steve Goff  |  May 1, 2008; 2:21 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United, Argentina and France
Next: Remembering Gordon

Comments

RFK is still standing? And this will ruin my 12 events a year pro forma...

Posted by: Not Marc Fischer | May 1, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

More than 30,000, for sure. I went to the US/Guatemala qualifier at RFK a few years back and it was sold out.

Posted by: CY | May 1, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I'd say at least 40,000.

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 1, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Goff, this is off topic but I'm hoping you can shed some light. On GolTV news a few days ago they said that the Galaxy had to use a salesmen as their 11th player during a reserve match. GolTV then said that this is pretty common in MLS, for teams to use a salesperson, groundskeeper, etc. in a pinch for reserve matches. Is this true? I know the MLS is still a 'minor' league (according to El-Bashir), but I find this to be very amateurish if true.

Posted by: CY | May 1, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I've heard Greg Lalas chime in about suiting it up for the Revs reserves a few seasons back and even heard rumors of teams picking people off the street to get the numbers right for a reserve throwdown. Personally, I would like us to beef up the senior squad numbers (with quantity and quality) before I would even start to consider getting bent out of shape about the number of reserves that suit up every once and a while.

Yes, when trown out there the way it was by Gullit, it does kind of de-pant the league. Could be a good thing - a little bit of BLUSH goes a LONG WAY.

Posted by: Kosh | May 1, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet an internet nickel that, properly advertised, this event draws >40K.

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | May 1, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Off-topic?

Bull, send him an email if you need info..

Que Viva ES/Guate!!

40k for sure will maybe 35k!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | May 1, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

It'll draw:
- 29,000 fans (4,000 of whom will sit in the wrongs seats, claiming to not understand the ticket label...nevermind arabic numerals are the same in either language, the ask beer dude in perfect english for una cerveza)
- 36 ICE/INS agents
- 15 ticket scalpers
- 7 women selling pupusas and cervezas in the parking lot
- 1 Salvatore (love him)
- 1 rotten Pescadito
- ZERO members of the Prince William County Board of Supervisors (after all, they hate those dang Mexicans).

Posted by: Gimme Some 'Merican Cheese | May 1, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

It's not unusual for MLS teams to be shorthanded for a reserve match, necessitating the call for replacement players with soccer experience. I've seen third-string goalies play forward, equipment managers suit up and a former college player who was working for an agent take the field. It has happened often since the reserve division was created a couple years ago.

Posted by: Goff | May 1, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

So, if you attend a reserves match, bring your boots...

Posted by: RK | May 1, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

The Galaxy story was confirmed on FFF and World Soccer earlier this week. Two lads from the sales office, wasn't it?

Posted by: Erick | May 1, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

there have been past El Salvador-Guatemala friendlies at RFK that have only drawn 15,000-20,000 but I belive that Salvadorean fans are excited about their chances against Panama in the Qualifiers so it should cause a spark in the fan base to come out and Guatemala loves to torture Salvadorean fans since they have owned them the last few years so I think a crowd of 32,000 on a Friday Night would be the max.

Posted by: dcchilidog | May 1, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

If you're more interested in the Galaxy reserves situation, check out Luis Bueno and Andrea Canales' excellent: www.sidelineviews.blogspot.com. One of them did an article on it a few days ago.

Posted by: Nic ATX | May 1, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Fortunately the Gnats will be on the road at that time, which means that there won't be competition for parking. I don't know whether that was a factor in choosing this date or not. However, the Gnats will be at home a week from Saturday, when the WNT will be in town to play Canada. And there surely will be other events at RFK that are announced from time to time. Will the arrangement used for United dates (i.e., sequestering Gnats fans in Lot 7) be used for other RFK events generally?

BTW, I see that there are plans to bring pointyball back to RFK:

The article mentions Gnationals Park as a possible venue, but I think that is less likely, in light of the smaller capacity, lack of parking, and a stadium configuration that probably is not that great for pointyball.

Posted by: tri-village | May 1, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Ticket prices seem somewhat on the steep side to fill the stadium with the targeted community. They should have a broader range of prices.

Posted by: ML | May 1, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

if the pointy ball is at RFK, maybe they fill in the missing seats again....one can only hope.

Posted by: mizage | May 1, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

A better question on the reserve match fill-ins: How can I sign up?

Posted by: jyindc | May 1, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Considering there were about 20k+ Guatemalans at the Gold Cup in Foxboro last year, I'd say it'll top 30k. I wish the country hosting the game could draw that much for ITS OWN home games =(...

Posted by: Anonymous | May 1, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Goff, rumors are swirly that VW has signed on as the sponsor of DC United?!?! TOR has a post on it.

Please share oh wise one.

vamos dc united y ptfc.

Posted by: VW lover | May 1, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Kosh- isn't it more an issue of total squad #'s not reserve (I guess you mean developmental?) vs senior. Increasing senior spots without touching dev spots would have the effect of increasing available contracted players for games. It might also help at least the home team field a full team of players if they could get NCAA approval to use academy players without jepardizing their college eligibility.

Posted by: bluemeanies | May 1, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mizage | May 1, 2008 4:46 PM
==========================================

This is unlikely. To recoup the expense of installing replacement seats, they would have to fill those seats over and over, especially given that the remaining life expectancy of RFK can be expressed using the fingers of one hand. A few additional events per year just won't do it.

Posted by: tri-village | May 1, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know where one can buy a Guatemalan MNT jersey? Me being half-Chapin, half-Gringo, might as well support the other half once in a while...

Posted by: Juan-John | May 1, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I saw that Bowl game in the papers this morning. I always figured DC would wait until the Dannydome was built and create a high profile or BCS bowl.

Posted by: sitruc | May 1, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone been watching tonight's BSPN2 offering? I am still stuck at the office, but my DVD player is watching.

Posted by: tri-village | May 1, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

tri-village:
I started it from about 50 mins. I won't mention the score here but NY looks pretty sluggish.

Posted by: td | May 1, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Looks like they're playing on a wet Hefty bag.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 1, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

the game quality is incredibily poor. Nobody can hold the ball, can't pass, can't recieve the ball.

Posted by: td | May 1, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

46,500

Posted by: Curious | May 1, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

BOCA v River superclaasico is on foxysocca channel on Sunday at 2 pm live. peek it to see if one could see sir kasper.

Posted by: ff | May 1, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Note to self: DO NOT TOUCH SINKS AT RFK POST-GUAT v. EL SALVADOR MATCH.

Posted by: Hoost | May 1, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

A friend just told me the Washington Business Journal is saying Volkswagen is being announced as United's sponsor and will receive $3.7 million per year.

Posted by: Kire | May 1, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

what i wanna see is the aftermath in the parking lot between ES/GUA fans. :0

Posted by: NotMe | May 2, 2008 2:02 AM | Report abuse

I know I'm going!

Re the VW rumours. Well, rumors are nice, and that's a nice pricetag, but I'll believe it when el van goffinhoster reports it.

Posted by: northzax | May 2, 2008 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Note to self: DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING "Hoost" touches.

Posted by: yo its me | May 4, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse