Good Afternoon

Pardon the absence. Flew back from Toronto and then celebrated the wedding anniversary with Mrs. Insider in historic Leesburg.

Just trying to catch up on things.....

*United's reserves can't win either -- a 2-1 loss to Toronto this morning. Lombardo and Gala scored for TFC, Kirk for DCU. Leftover quote from last night: Danny Dichio, on his slow-moving shot that resulted in the only goal of the match:

"I think half the stadium blew it in as well, it went in so slow. ... It took an eternity to go in -- but when it went in I was really pleased with it."

*In case you missed it yesterday, Colorado sent defender Kelly Gray and forward Jovan Kirovski to San Jose for backup keeper Preston Burpo and a draft pick. The Quakes could use some warm bodies.

*ESPN Classic will replay the Champions League final at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday night. You can stay home and watch that, or suffer through another DCU-TFC match. ;-)

*New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker teaches teammate Randy Moss the wonders of soccer. Read about it here.

Finally, on the occasion of another trophy being lifted by Ryan Giggs, we honor the great Welsh winger with a flashback to this clever 2006 commercial:

By Steve Goff  |  May 22, 2008; 2:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Aftermath: DCU-TFC
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Happy Anniversary Steven!

I was recently at a wedding reception at that very restaurant.

Brilliant!

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 22, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to the Insiders!

Posted by: JkR | May 22, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Steven, what's with that 30 second clip from the Honorable Mayor Fenty that was on after the broadcast last night? Do you (or Nakamura) have anything on that?

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 22, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Let's sign Randy Moss as a striker! What have we got to lose?

Along the same lines, "Soccer as NBA Building Block" from NYT

Posted by: Mysterian | May 22, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | May 22, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

celebrated the wedding anniversary with Mrs. Insider
======
Congrates....I knew you also celebrated for ManU win with your loyal ManU son in honor of Giggs.

======
Every body wishes they have the talent to play soccer these days.

Posted by: td | May 22, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Every body wishes they have the talent to play soccer these days.

Posted by: td | May 22, 2008 3:06 PM
===========

Myself included.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 22, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Every body wishes they have the talent to play soccer these days.

Posted by: td | May 22, 2008 3:06 PM

===============

Randy Moss would have a better chance of scoring Saturday against TFC than Franco Niell. Dead serious on that my man. Some of the "soccer poets" need to get real.

Posted by: Mysterian | May 22, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Welker should talk to Frank Deford...

Posted by: Juan-John | May 22, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Every body wishes they have the talent to play soccer these days.
Posted by: td | May 22, 2008 3:06 PM
===========

Myself included.
Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 22, 2008 3:07 PM
///////
But you already knew all the ins and outs unlike the rest of them that soccer is kicking. Now they realize it requres really special skills.

Posted by: td | May 22, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mysterian | May 22, 2008 3:10 PM
///////
No, he will imediately get yellow cards for nocking off the players. He will be gone in a matter of minutes.

Posted by: td | May 22, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Happy Anniversary, Steve! Please thank Mrs. SI for allowing us to have some of your time today.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 22, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Happy anniversary Steve to you and Mrs. Insider. Thanks for putting up with all of us obsessives and keeping us informed.

Posted by: BillyBob | May 22, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Kasper should sign Welker as a keeper... fast feet and he won't drop the ball!!

Posted by: Soy United! | May 22, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Soy United! | May 22, 2008 3:19 PM

_____________________________________________

Welker's too short. I'd opt for Moss. Or Kevin Garnett if we're going to open it up to all sports.

Posted by: Jamie Z. | May 22, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to M/M Insider!

Posted by: Section 130 | May 22, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

I know that at times this blog can be a roller coaster for you. I just want to personally thank you for your dedication and for giving us a place to hang out. Enjoy your anniversary.

-N

Posted by: N. Daknow | May 22, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"BTW... you didn't, by chance, eat at the Leesburg Roy Rogers, did you? I believe LeesburgSoccerFan will agree that the Fixins' Bar is something' else."

LOL, I can't eat wheat, so I'm not a patron of fast food ever. I'm partial to Tuskee's, the aforementioned Lightfoot (but in the bar), and the new Angeethi. It's a great old town to stroll through on a lazy May weekend afternoon. It's a shame that the horse-farms are being overrun by Sub-developments and McMansions, but that's everywhere in Northern VA.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 22, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

fire soehn!!!!

erm, i mean, happy anniversary!!!

Posted by: longfellow | May 22, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"I have to get used to a new group with a different mentality than what I've been used to," Gallardo said. "I've always lived for soccer, in every sense. Here, for some of the guys, they don't look at soccer as a passion that fills their entire being. Sometimes, I think they see it as a job, mostly. You've got to feel more intensity for the game."

Uh-oh

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 22, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Great Giggs commercial.

regarding Gallardo's comment, I fear this is more of an issue than some may think.

NOOOOOOOOO AAARRREEEENNNNNAAAAAA!!!!!!

Posted by: peridigm | May 22, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo not happy with Monday's golf outing! :)

Posted by: RK | May 22, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Happy Anniversary to the Goffs.

Thanks for taking some time to informationalize us SI folk about the comes'n'goin's in the coccer world on your special day.

Congrats.

Posted by: Kosh | May 22, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Happy Anniversary Mr. and Mrs. Goff!!

Andrea Lombardo scored a goal? Wow! Hell just froze over.

Posted by: Ameobi | May 22, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

@ Virgina Blue Blood

Didn't Schelloto say the same thing about the Crew last year? I recall him also saying that.

I'm not sure if that's the kind of press the league wants, but facts are facts.

Posted by: Kosh | May 22, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

just came from our u-18 mnt match against portugal. they dominated every phase of the match, but weren't able to score, largely thanks to the incredible play of goalkeeper larry jackson (can anyone think of a team that needs a goalkeeper?). in the 85th minute a long ball deflected back to amobi okugo who scored (can anyone think of a team that needs an opportunistic striker?). even though having difficulties, the team held tough and won the match 1-0 (can anyone think of a team that needs to put out maximum effort for the full 90 minutes?)

(sigh) I wonder if we could send the video to DCU for inspiration...

all four teams in the tournament are now tied on 3 points (we lost to Norway yesterday after giving up 2 goals in the first 7 minutes, Norway lost to Sweden today 3-1, and Portugal beat Sweden yesterday 2-0). it all comes down to saturday.

Posted by: troy | May 22, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

by the way, if it wasn't clear, I meant portugal dominated the match but hadn't scored.

Posted by: troy | May 22, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Every body wishes they have the talent to play soccer these days.

Posted by: td | May 22, 2008 3:06 PM

*******************************************

Luckily I still do, play every friday night in Upland.

Past 2 weeks have had a hat-trick each game.

Go me!

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | May 22, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

No other news today? No fires? No hires? Darn! Enjoy your anniversary.

Posted by: Glaucon | May 22, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

SIGN CHIEF CLANCY WIGGUM!

A foot for goals and a firearm for defense.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 22, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

@Kosh,

I believe you're correct in your recollection. Based on my opinion alone, I would like to say that MLS is very much in a strange adolescent phase of it's existence.

It's no longer that quirky American league and it has larger aspirations. It's getting more responsibility in preparation for adulthood (International Competitions, semi-serious transfers), but is having some trouble getting beyond it's childhood roots (CBA, Salary Cap, Stadium issues). Sometimes it really surprises us with where it's come (increasing quality on the pitch, television rights fees, growing streams of revenue) and sometimes it really makes us want to ground it (Denilson, Alexi Lalas, performance in the money rounds of international competition).

The scary part of adolescence is here is where life always gets interesting and missteps can prove detrimental in the long run. We have some good influences headed our way (a broadening of owners and venues that will allow us to present the game well and help clubs to grow their financial independence, well heeled and knowledgeable people that want to see it succeed, a growing focus about its performance on the pitch rather than spending 100% of the time just trying to get its infomercial on the air). We also have some bad ones (an ugly labor agreement that could derail things, a calendar that puts the league behind the 8 ball at times, and the continual problem of youth acquisition/development/cultivation).

Gallardo's comments aren't really that bad - they just show that perhaps the environments we reap our players from put us in a different category than some of the others throughout the world that we idolize because of their dedication and work ethic. Perhaps because our guys aren't paid well enough we cannot enforce a greater culture of professionalism upon them.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 22, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Happy Anniversary Goff!

Nice clip of Giggs too, that was awesome!

Posted by: dogboy | May 22, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

@ Virginia Blue Blood

So what you're saying is that MLS is this pimple-faced teenager who is just getting their man voice and is responsible for the vanishing lotion and tissue paper?

Just kidding. I agree 100% with what you said. The CBA is going to be ugly, but when the dust settles I hope this league is all the better for the blood-letting.

Question though, are most of the players in the league too old to learn how to become good pros (like the boot boys of the world)? Is it our coaching that's getting in the way of making our guys better pros? I just fail to see how with all the Beckhams, Blancos, Schelottos, Angels and Gallardos that we are getting - I fail to see how our guys are not picking up (as fast as I would like to see) some of their mannerisms and passion. Yes these guys are new to the league, but we also had the Etcheverry's and Harkes' of yesteryear.

Posted by: Kosh | May 22, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

So has Soehn been fired yet?

How about now?

Still not?

Now?

Nothing? Seriously?

How about now?

Posted by: DCU | May 22, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

@Kosh

Now that's a tougher issue to put a finger on. The guys in our league are professionals for sure. However, whether it's a money issue, an issue of the environment they were brought up in as players, or just all part of the maturation process into a developed and functioning league.

For sure there are guys in MLS that are class professionals no matter what. Ben Olsen is a prime example. Others would have to include Joe Cannon, Wade Barret, Brian Ching, DeRo, Diego Guitierez, etc. The longevity and dedication to the craft is half of it. The ability to perform and connect with the other obligations on a professional are other parts of it.

I'd say a lot of it comes from coaching. I'm not out to fault American coaches and label them as unprofessional - but I do think that certain guys can't hold the respect that a manger deserves when he walks in a room the way some others around the world aren't. And don't read anything about Tommy into that. I'm sure there are just as many people that think there's no respecting Steve McLaren or someone else abroad.

But coaching and dedication to the sport are part of it. It may not be something you can pick up but it's just in you. While there is some serious credentials surrounding guys in MLS now - it also asks more.

Our managers need to raise the bar and our players need to as well. LA is building something better this year because some of those guys have had a longer spell with Beckham and have seen his dedication to what's being done on the pitch and also seen him be criticized for lack of performance by his manager. It'll come, it's just the next part of the adventure - but I thought that Andrea articulated some of the issues very well.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 22, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

SIGN CHIEF CLANCY WIGGUM!

A foot for goals and a firearm for defense.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 22, 2008 4:48 PM

==========================================

Believe me, last weekend out here for the Chivas/DCU game I was ready to hop on the pitch and take the spot of Doe or Emilio.

Especially after Sasha came over and taunted us in the Barra section after he scored.

"Sasha's a girls name....Sasha's a girls name..."

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | May 22, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I just saw that mark Schwartzer is moving to Fulham. So where does that leave Keller?

Posted by: Glenn | May 22, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

My parents are regulars at lightfoot. Cheeky choice mate.

Posted by: Clyde Syesterson | May 22, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I just saw a post on a previous thread about how we always seem to have issues finding personell for positions and other teams don't seem to have the same issue. Our ability to score goals from our Forwards on a consistant basis has always been an issue for DC United.

My question is this then; Do you think we are the NY Yankees of the MLS where certain players just don't work out because of the pressure etc..of playing for DC United? We have the strongest fan support, well at least the most consistant, the most trophies, and we demand great play.

Being a lifelong Yankees fan, I have seen all to often seen otherwise great players fold under the pressure of playing for the Yankees. Maybe DC United has the same issue? Anyone???

Posted by: DC U Fan | May 22, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

You couldn't satirize the ego trip of some DC fans better if you tried.

Believe me, the foreign players who have disappointed have played for clubs with far more history, and pressure to perform, than DC United.

The American players are just making the kind of mistakes young journeymen players tend to make early in their careers.

There are legitimate problems with DC United, but one of them is not that the club is so massive that the players collapse under the pressure of wearing the storied red-and-black. If I were a DC fan, I would have been embarrassed to read such nonsense.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 22, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

In sum, "delusions of grandeur."

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 22, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Juan...

Don't confuse the inane rantings of one dude with the rest of us. He's a yankees fan, he's prone to delusions of grandeur. Let it go. Please. It took me awhile, but I did.

Posted by: d, dc | May 22, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

But that's what Mastodon is best at. Strawmen, hyperbole, and cutting, yet purposeless sarcasm.

And he's a Redbulls fan. Go figure!

Posted by: viv | May 22, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

It's not a straw man argument if I'm actually responding to an actual argument made by an actual person.

Note that I said "some," not "all." It's true that the Yankees fan has distilled that kind of case to its purest form, but some of those sentiments ("we're better so we deserve better") are the subtext of the statements of some, I repeat, SOME, other DC fans who comment here.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 22, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Giggs scored more goals in his backyard than DC can score on the road.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | May 22, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Happy Anniversary Goff sorry to bug you on what I hope was an awesome day for you and your's!

Posted by: Dadryan | May 22, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

The Y*k**s are the Evil Empire of MLB.
The U of M*ch*g*n is the Evil Empire of Big Ten football, and possibly of the entire NCAA Football Bowl Division.
The Cowpatties are the Evil Empire of the NFL.
The L*k*rs are the Evil Empire of the NBA.

DC United is NOT the Evil Empire of MLS. (I'm not sure MLS even HAS an Evil Empire yet.)

That's the difference.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 23, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

(and happy anniversary, Steve. *cue The Four Lads*)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 23, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

No doubt, Keller will be dueling fellow Washington state native Hahnemann for the no. 1 slot with the Sounders. But, that could mean he'd be willing to sign a relatively low-rent, short-term deal for that other Washington team....

As for the Gallardo quote...I love that quote!!! I'm thrilled to hear that kind of passion and determination from him. I thought he was here for a cushy urn into retirement. Very encouraging. Now, all we have to do is surround him with some players that can do something with his passes -- and maybe someone who does a better job with the free kicks. Unless Sr. Futbol es my vida starts working on and doing better with those....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 23, 2008 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Love that Giggs ad. I did see it once, but I'd forgotten all about it. Lovely. Thank you, Sr. Goff.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 23, 2008 1:23 AM | Report abuse

In sum, "delusions of grandeur."

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 22, 2008 9:53 PM

==========================================

Who are you, Peter Angelos?

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | May 23, 2008 2:40 AM | Report abuse

In sum, "delusions of grandeur."

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 22, 2008 9:53 PM

==========================================

Who are you, Peter Angelos?

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | May 23, 2008 2:40 AM | Report abuse

Oh if I ever meet Mastadon Juan...

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 23, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 23, 2008 12:41 AM
=================

I nominate Chicago.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 23, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Well...we are officially the worst team in MLS now.

Posted by: BK | May 23, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Well...we are officially the worst team in MLS now.

Posted by: BK | May 23, 2008 8:18 AM
=============

Almost. We have a game in hand over San Jose.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 23, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

And the home team wins again...

Posted by: RK | May 23, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

"Oh if I ever meet Mastadon Juan..."

I'll be at the Nationals game Monday afternoon, section 114. I'll wear my 2000 Metrostars shirt. Stop by and say hi.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 23, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I don't support the baseball team and their dump of a stadium.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 23, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Observe Giggsy's perfect form in lifting that flower pot. Now that's a man who has lifted an kissed a trophy or two, no?

Posted by: Kosh | May 23, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Happy Anniversary to the Insiders. It was the 26th anniversary of the Section 304's yesterday too. May you have as many great years as we've had.

Posted by: Section 304 | May 23, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Lets get rid of Emilio, and splash some of that DP money on Moss, Welker, Kobe, or Nash.

Posted by: JLMan | May 23, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Section 114 huh? Good seats.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 23, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse