Manchester United Wins Champions League

A few glitches in post.com systems prevent us from giving you the story in standard ways, and Goff is busy in Toronto, so here's the early wire copy from Robert Millward of AP:

MOSCOW (AP) -- Manchester United beat Chelsea 6-5 in a rain-soaked penalty shootout to win the European Champions League title Wednesday night following a 1-1 tie.
Cristiano Ronaldo missed United's third penalty kick and, with a chance to win Chelsea's first Champions League's title, John Terry hit a post.
On Chelsea's seventh kick, Manchester keeper Edwin van der Sar dived to bat away Nicolas Anelka's drive and give United its third European championship following titles in 1968 and 1999.
Ronaldo had scored in the 26th minute for Manchester United, his 42nd goal of the season. Frank Lampard tied the score in the 45th.

My guess is this will not go down as an all-time great European final, but it still was pretty entertaining -- and historic, with the two English giants meeting up. According to the BBC, "the 1971-72 UEFA Cup was the only previous major European competition to involve two English clubs in its final; Tottenham beat Wolves 3-2 on aggregate."

So, what did you think? Who was Man of the Match?

By Jon DeNunzio  |  May 21, 2008; 5:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Matchday: DCU at TFC

Comments

Not sure about MoM, but is it just me or was Van Der Saar shading a hair to the kicker's left the first three shots Chelsea did against him (ergo they all went right, and into the net)? He nearly lost the game for Man U.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 21, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Cant wait to watch this match!!!!

Hopefully, DCU will win tonight as well...

Posted by: Cashous | May 21, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Vegas has set the over-under on English fans being stabbed on the way to the airport at 4.5.

I will take the over.

Posted by: AM | May 21, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

motm...hmmm. id say everyone. that was the best game i saw ever. goff can you clear this mark viduka rumor. its been hounding me all day. also anything on the lineup for tonights game?

Posted by: fisty409 | May 21, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Make mine a DOUBLE!

Now, I can't wait to go home and watch the match, since I've been stuck in work all day. Then I can maybe answer the MOM question.

Posted by: Deanna | May 21, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I didn't care who won, but am happy Ronaldo missed his pk. Particularly after that prima donna run up . .

The ref was awful but his awfulness was fair to both sides . . .

Posted by: delantero | May 21, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Nice teamwork Mr. DeNunzio. Slide in behind Mr. Goff with the help defense.

Posted by: Old WNT fan | May 21, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

But Ronaldo also scored that kept them in the game so he still influnce this in a great way.

Posted by: td | May 21, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Manchester who? Don't you know there's an important MLS match on tonight?!
;)

Hate to be obvious, but I think MoM has to be Rinaldo, even with his miss on the PK. Not for the goal, as pretty as it was, but for control and constant attack. Somehow he was playing Rooney's role from the wing.

Good match, plenty of tension, despite my own neutrality.

Posted by: verse | May 21, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing "prima donna" about his run-up.

The stutter step may be a gray area when it comes to taking PKs, but I've never seen you complain when Jaime has done the same thing.

I'm not a Man U fan, but I'm glad they won. I equate Chelsea on par with the Cowboys, Yankees, Notre Dame etc... part of the real Axis of Evil.

*I don't have a team in Europe.

Posted by: AlecW81 | May 21, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Tactical, somewhat plodding match on a disgraceful pitch with both sides squandering opportunities - Tevez with 2 sitters in the first half and Chelsea hitting the post & crossbar in the 2nd. Nothing in sport more riveting than PKs - and to extend beyond the first 5 in the final of a major championship .. whew. Agree with Ronaldo as MTM for the first 120 minutes but his inexcusable PK disqualifies him.

Posted by: Hmmm | May 21, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

If Terry doesn't miss, Man of the Match is a no-brainer. Terry's header to deny Giggs was the biggest play -- that and those Chelsea shots that hit the pipes. Can Man Utd's goal get the nod?

I guess it has to go the cry-baby, even if he did his penalty (I thought he was going to knock it over, but I guess he was worried about that and played where Cech could get it instead). Ronaldo was the best player out there. Evra looked pretty good, too, As did Tevez, but they didn't contribute to goals.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 21, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

big diffrence between morenos pk stutter step compared to ronaldo. TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR WATCH during both.

Posted by: dc fan | May 21, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

EPL losers. Drogba: Loser; way to take one for the team. Your team is dominating and you have to do one of those famous EPL girly swipes; loser. John Terry: loser. I wish both teams had lost. I came close with my wish. What a field full of overpayed whiners.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

RE: stutter step. No stutter, he clearly stopped. But he seemed shaken when Cech didn't take the bait.

RE: officiating. I sat next to an experienced youth league ref during the game. He had no disparaging remarks about the ref.

Re: the pitch. Was bad

RE: The stadium. Fans behind the goal would have been better off watching on TV.

RE: Man of the match. Shouldn't be awarded this year, unless it's to the goalpost.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 21, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Ronaldo's penalty kick had to be the stupidest in history...that was no studder step...for the ManU fans that had to be the longest second in their lives! Luckily, everybody will remember Terry's miss and Van der Sar's save, but not Ronaldo's miss. First half was great. The rest of the game was blah. Hard to say who MoM was though.

Posted by: BigWave | May 21, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I'll be a contrairian and suggest Vidic for MOM. His play was inspired and he kept Drogba, Essian and all off of a weak looking Van Der Saar.

The pitch was part of the reason Chelski even scored...Van Der Saar looses his footing and falls down and cant recover before the shot.

Posted by: WOW | May 21, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone explain why the stadium in Moscow was playing Take Me Home Country Road before the game? That threw me off from the first second of the broadcast.

Posted by: Aaron | May 21, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I think it has to be obvious that the MoM is Didier Drogba for pulling a Zinedine Zidane circa World Cup '06 and winning the match for Man U!

Without Drogba missing from the last 7 or so minutes of extra time and the PKs I think Chelsea pulls it out

Posted by: G's Fan | May 21, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

The United supporters have their own version of "Take me home country road"... its "Take me home maine road" which is a reference to a old City/United Stadium

Man of the Match is Patrice Evra, no doubt.
Look back at the game and see how many times he made clutch tackles, plays, and crosses. The MOM doesn't always have to score or have an assist.

Posted by: BBFunnyMan | May 21, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I knew Ronaldo would miss. I think Alex knew it also. That is why he hid him in the middle of the 1st 5 shooters. Smart play. Gives the team a chance to recover from his flub. Kinda like Beckham - you kinda have to shoot him but, knowing he will miss, you have to bury him at the least important spot you can.

Posted by: marksman | May 21, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else hear that strange song they were singing to Clarence Seedorf in the pressbox?:

"Are you Marcelo Balboa in disguise?"

Posted by: Lloyd Heilbrunn | May 22, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AlecW81 | May 21, 2008 6:14 PM
-------------------------------------------------

Hmm, that's odd -- I've always equated Man U with the hated Yankees/Cowboys...

As for the stutter, dude, Ronaldo stuttered and came to a complete stop! Not something I've ever seen Moreno -- or any other penalty taker do...

Posted by: edgeonyou | May 22, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

It was fun match to watch - had a mix of end-to-end play and some nice possession.

MOM- Wes Brown. Awesome cross and he shut down the chelsea wide players. Close second Vidic - wow - a freaking rock back there.

I thought Rooney was invisible. He only got the ball when he dropped into the mid-field.

Posted by: bobf | May 22, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

SMH @ Drogba...what a shame. Well I guess I will be switching my allegiance to AC Milan this summer (keeping my fingers crossed) and hopefully it will be a Mourhino/Drogba kind of dream.

Too bad I can't switch my MLS allegiance so easily...Come on DCU, you're breakin' my heart.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 22, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

bummer chelsea didn't win. I feel bad for my man grant, whose been hounded non-stop by everyone since the un-special one was fired. terry will be gutted for life..man. good game.

Posted by: mizage | May 22, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

American owners beat Russian owners on their turf. Proving, once again, that... ummm...

OK. I got nothin' One billionaire beat another. Big whoop.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 22, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

no MOM as that was a team effort from Man U especially seeing Ronaldo miss his pk but seeing teammates step up and hit theirs. Giggs as usual seems to always come through. He should retire after next season or now. Going out on top and in good form makes him one of Man u's greatest ever...

Posted by: glove | May 22, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

My MoM is Van der Sar for saving Anelka's penalty. Second choice is Vidic for winding up Drogba enough to get him sent off. Next I'd take Ronaldo for his goal in the first half.

Posted by: Deanna | May 23, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Ronaldo and Terry each got their squads to penalties, but each blew it at that point. Man ofthe Match: Nemanja Vidic.

Posted by: Arbito Ciego | May 24, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

It's "Take me home, United Road". It's the name of a road in Manchester that leads to Old Trafford, which is United's stadium.

Posted by: Cantona | May 28, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse