Matchday: DCU at New England

[updated with team news and lineup]

Greetings from the Borough of Fox.....

Gorgeous, cloudless day in New England.

Given our location and DCU's opponent, today's musical selections are Foxboro Hot Tubs (a Green Day alias), Steve Earle and OAR.

Our tour of MLS road eats continues with a very modest choice, the Piccadilly Pub. I've got Son of Insider (SOI) with me and a burger is a burger. SOI has now been to Gillette Stadium, Crew Stadium, Estadio RFK for MLS Cup and Olympic Stadium in Berlin for the World Cup final -- not bad for a soon-to-be 12-year-old.

Gonzalo Peralta's wife, Leticia, is expected to give birth tonight so her husband, the United central defender, is not here. Taking his place on the 18-man roster is forward Franco Niell, who had initially been told he would play in tomorrow's reserve match only.

The lineup is Wells; Namoff, McTavish, Mediate, Martinez; Quaranta, Simms, Gallardo, Fred; Moreno, Emilio. Subs: Carvallo, Burch, Cordeiro, Dyachenko, Stratford, Kirk, Niell.

TV: ESPN2.
Kickoff: 7:38 p.m.

As usual, this is the place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion.

By Steve Goff  |  May 29, 2008; 4:22 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: DCU-NE, the Aftermath

Comments

Gil Scott-Heron -- The Revolution will not be televised...

And a New Englander -- Tracy Chapman -- Talkin' about a revolution.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 29, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Awesome for a 12 y/o.......good job, Steve.
My 12y/o has been to RFK for soccer, including MLS Cup.
Many other venues for many other sports - including a stay at the SkyDome motel, Fenway, Nashville (Titans/Pats game) and old Olympic stadium in Montreal.
I can only hope that he goes to a World Cup game someday - cause I will be along side him.

Posted by: marksman | May 29, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

If Wells is between the pipes tonite, my attention span will be very short indeed. Possibly not even lasting beyond the opening kickoff.

Posted by: Grunthos | May 29, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

not sure if you saw it in the earlier post.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GOFF!!

Posted by: steve-o | May 29, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

No school for SOI? Or is this extra credit for the school newspaper? Do school newspapers still exist?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 29, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

We know Goff has to be impartial, but how about SOI? Inquiring minds want to know...

Posted by: Impartial Papa but... | May 29, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Next time you're on Route 1, head a bit further north (maybe an extra 5-10 minutes) from Gillette to the British Beer Company.

It's what it sounds like, and they've good food, to boot. Kids love beer, right?

Posted by: spiny norman | May 29, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

We luck out by having a supportive FO, but seems like the Revs' supporter groups are not too pleased with their FO and the limited (aka non-existent) options they have for cheering on their team and are planning a "silent" protest to show their frustations.

Perhaps highlighting their struggles would be an interesting subplot for the coverage of tonight's game.

Posted by: DCU Fan | May 29, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

more importantly, does the young lad play football?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCU Fan | May 29, 2008 4:54 PM

Revs fans will do a nice job getting a ton of people to be silent and dress as empty seats tonight. Power to the people!

Posted by: Kev | May 29, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Son of Insider needs to visit the Home Depot Center. Preferably for a Galaxy-Goats SuperClasico...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 29, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

How much of the Rev Supporter Group problem is one of asking for permission rather than begging for foregiveness?

Musical Addition-- Reckless Kelly's cover of the Beatles Revolution.

Posted by: John | May 29, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Dang - SOI is a true fan! Best I had been to by the time I was 11 was Estadio RFK for Soccer Bowl '80.

While I'd love not to see Wells between the pipes, Carvallo deserves his second start to be at home...

Posted by: DE | May 29, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Is there any chance that Son of Insider gets to see a United home match in anything other than RFK?

Posted by: Kim | May 29, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

OAR SUX

Posted by: jgildea | May 29, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Musical Addition-- Reckless Kelly's cover of the Beatles Revolution.

Posted by: John | May 29, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

References - several iterations ago: Prince and the Revolution.

Beatles - old unwitting Jaime reference - Revolution #9

Aerial Display - Foxboro Shuffle

Posted by: Somewhat old school | May 29, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Grunthos | May 29, 2008 4:41 PM
____________________________________

For me, Wells adds to the excitement of the match. He's like a knife-juggling clown on a unicycle. Who knows what will go wrong today? I'm certainly excited to find out!

Posted by: longfellow | May 29, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Come to McGintys in Silver Spring tonite for a viewing party!

Posted by: dcu ss | May 29, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Or come to Velocity Five in Merrifield to watch the match.

Posted by: Beaker | May 29, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Somewhat old school | May 29, 2008 5:22 PM
=========

The Revs now defunct fanzine was called "Pictures of Chairman Mao."

And, to anyone who brings up the Thomson Twins: Don't!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 29, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

jgildea - i feel sorry for ur lack of taste in music.
anyways....
im not a huge fan of mls soccer, but i do plan on watching this game. maybe its because its a cold, rainy day here where i live.

Posted by: adam | May 29, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

That's the way to do it for son of insider!!
Oh boy United must win tonight. That will really boost their confi.

Posted by: td | May 29, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Or you can come to kitty o'sheas right next bt the orange line metro

Posted by: arlingtonunited | May 29, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm probably preaching to the choir here....but can any one help me shed light on why the hell the mlslive.tv subscription I paid for is not providing me with access to this game (not to mention several other recent games)??? Any tips on where a guy can find this game online? What's the deal with that ESPN 360 thing? Thanks..... I'm sure I'm not the only one....

Posted by: speculation | May 29, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

with all online and/or television sports practices, if you can view the game on national tv (espn, fsc, etc), they black it out on the package whether you get the channel or not. i know, i used to work for dish network! :-D

Posted by: DER | May 29, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Today Washington Business Journal asks the following question:
"Should D.C. taxpayers finance a new soccer stadium at Poplar Point?"

Very poorly worded and misleading question. But you should vote. It would be interesting to see what a large group of people think on this question.

Posted by: The Far Post | May 29, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

I think this one is for the Revs to lose. United have not scored a goal away from home.
We have scored as many goals as NE but leaked 9 more than they have. I say NE takes it 3-1.

Here's an idea, United should sign the best MISL keeper and keep him as our turf only keeper.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

OAR SUX

Posted by: jgildea | May 29, 2008 5:14 PM
-------------------------------------------

Doggone $&%^#^$##@#@#%*&#Q%(&%##@&%$^ Caps Lock Lovin' no musical taste (%&#&^$@&^_(*&^%#@$#@. Go back to the MTV boards....

;-)
jk
Throwin

Posted by: Throwin | May 29, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

What a lucky lucky kid.

Posted by: Rocko | May 29, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

SOI is pretty darn lucky. I turned 12 in 1976. By then I'd been to see the Reds two or three times at Riverfront Stadium. No pro or college football in person (first pro football game was a preseason Bengals game in 1981; first college football game wasn't until 2006!). No pro or college basketball in person. No hockey games (even though I used to listen to Dayton Gems IHL games on a transistor radio under the pillow at night). And Pele hadn't even come to the Cosmos in September '76...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 29, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

"United have not scored a goal away from home."

That's not true. We have a whole 1 gol away from home.

Posted by: Glenn | May 29, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: longfellow | May 29, 2008 5:22 PM
-------------------------------------------
Are you getting referral fees from a local cardiologist or something!?!?!

As one who is eating some crow right now (I thought the Wells/Boswell deal was a steal for United at the time), I'm not sure if we wouldn't be better off with the late Zakk Wylde between the pipes (if he were allowed to use his Fender Strat!).

Posted by: Throwin | May 29, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

a Nationals themed bar on the block...

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, don't take SOI into a Dick's Sporting Goods Store and let him wander around with WOI for too long while you are kickin' it with your friends.

That happened to a friend of mine once and his kid came out looking like an *******.

Sadly, my friend was too slow to catch his kid. :-(

Posted by: Seth|NYC | May 29, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Oops! I just reread my last post and there is nothing "late" about Zakk Wylde, who's still grindin' his axe somewhere in Jersey. I was thinking of Randy Rhodes at the time. Time to go and bang my head against a wall a few times, knock some sense into me...

Posted by: Throwin | May 29, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

??? why start mediate in the back again and leave burch on the bench?

why not play martinez, who is actually a central defender, in his natural position? mediate looked awful last time he was back there.

Posted by: pat | May 29, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. That is not a lineup that inspires much confidence on first look....

Posted by: Throwin | May 29, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Mediate why.........?
New England 3 DC United 1.

Posted by: Garret | May 29, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I agree Mediate makes no sense. He is short and slow and NOT a defender. Starting Burch outside and Martinez in the middle makes more sense. But I get the impression that Martinez and Wells don't communicate and don't like each other.

Posted by: Glenn | May 29, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Here's the latest flip-flop from Iraq:

Posted by: tri-village | May 29, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

one other piece of news that bodes ill for tonight is that the referee is Abbey Okulaja. That's always bad news. It looks like Alex Prus is the permanent Wednesday night referee and Okulaja is the permanent Thursday night referee.

Posted by: Glenn | May 29, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree Mediate makes no sense. He is short and slow and NOT a defender.
========================================

Slow and not a defender, maybe. But at 5'9", he is only slightly shorter than Martinez, Namoff, and McTavish.

Posted by: tri-village | May 29, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

"And Pele hadn't even come to the Cosmos in September '76"

Pele was with the Cosmos from 1975 through 1977.

They even played against the Detroit Express (Trevor Francis, etc.)

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Liveblog going on at Booked For Dissent

Posted by: Dave Lifton | May 29, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

"more importantly, does the young lad play football?"

MUCH more importantly: can your son suit up and play goalie tonight????

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

MEDIATE???

That's it, I'm rooting for the Revs so United fires the coach. Just kidding (but not really).

Posted by: Glaucon | May 29, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

There doesn't seem to be any pregame show on WFED tonight. They seem rather inconsistent about such things. Presumably the main event will come on at the bottom of the hour:

Posted by: tri-village | May 29, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

@ Throwin:

How about Zach Taylor? Or maybe Zack Morris?

Posted by: Section 130 | May 29, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Yellow alert in the defense and we haven't even started the match yet. That combined with our prolific road scoring and Wells's knack for being in the wrong spot at the wrong time -- let's just say, I have a bad feeling about this...

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 29, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

"And Pele hadn't even come to the Cosmos in September '76"

Pele was with the Cosmos from 1975 through 1977.

-----

I was afraid I'd mess that up. Obviously I've slept since then (even though I saw "Once in a Lifetime").

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 29, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

"And Pele hadn't even come to the Cosmos in September '76"

Pele was with the Cosmos from 1975 through 1977.

-----

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 29, 2008 7:31 PM
==========================================

Not that it would have made any difference to you, I guess. I was living in Ohio at the time, and there was no NASL presence within hundreds of miles.

Posted by: tri-village | May 29, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

"Hey, anybody know what happened to Finn MacCool's? I went to Eastern Market after the game Saturday and didn't see it. Not that I've ever been, but I was curious. There was
a Nationals themed bar on the block..."

It's still there. The Ugly Mug is a similar bar that is right next door and maybe you saw their Nats decorations. Both bars are on 8th St. SE between G and H (I think).

Posted by: G | May 29, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | May 29, 2008 7:39 PM

-----

So was I, in New Carlisle, between Springfield and Dayton. I didn't get real interested in soccer until I decided to play for my high school in the fall of 1980. (Clayton Northmont HS was in our conference -- a national power at the time.)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 29, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

So who has uglier kits than New England?

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 29, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Pele was with the Cosmos from 1975 through 1977.

They even played against the Detroit Express (Trevor Francis, etc.)

Posted by: | May 29, 2008 7:09 PM
==========================================

The Express came into being in 1978. Thus, the Cosmos would not have had Pele in their entourage then, although they would have had Beckenbauer, Chinaglia, etc.

Posted by: tri-village | May 29, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

are the players wearing mics? why is there no crowd noise and all you hear is the players cussing at each other?

Posted by: pat | May 29, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

OK, I take back what I said about Mediate.

Posted by: Glenn | May 29, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Luci!

Clyde has his shooting boots on tonight.

Posted by: Glenn | May 29, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Reis tried to kick Emilio in the face after he scored the header. Pure class, as usual.

Just waiting for karma to work its magic on that bastard.

Posted by: d, dc | May 29, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

What a pimp-slap of a goal. Nice shot Simms, poached by Emilio.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 29, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

_____

Because of their front office, the Fort held a 12 minute silent protest.

Posted by: John | May 29, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

that's what we need from Clyde...low hard shots give up rebounds in this league more often than not.

Wait, was that wells doing something dumb and recovering?

Posted by: northzax | May 29, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Tommy Smith (sp?) just asked if defensive midfield is Simms' natural position. "He's looked coming forward tonight, but is defensive midfield his natural position?" Seriously, you are the commentator. Know more than the starting lineup when you are commenting the game.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Zach out in no-man's land again.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 29, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Please if DC has scored please keep going and don't make stupid mistakes in the back. Come on we need to win tonight.

Posted by: td | May 29, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I like Fred's work rate.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 29, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Knock wood, but it's nice to see DC looking a little more like DC tonight. Fred, Tino, Moreno, Gallardo, Simms - even Luci - are all looking good.

Also, what exactly were the New England supporters protesting with regard to the FO?

Posted by: DCBird | May 29, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

How does Joseph not get booked on that hack?

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 29, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

any body know if the game is on any tvu channel?

Posted by: gilbert | May 29, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

and there's the breakdown. We are lucky.

Posted by: northzax | May 29, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

let's see if we learned anything from the Chivas game. NE will come out and put much more pressure on us in the 2nd half. They usually adjust well at halftime.

Posted by: Glenn | May 29, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

OK, obviously NE has not figured out the way to beat DC: SHOOT THE BALL AND IT'S IN THE NET!! Tino is such a loser; Get him off this team. Can Matt Reis suit up for us in the second half? Jaime really should have put that ball away. I'm hoping Clyde keeps wacking the ball; it is very effective. Aside from the one world class pass to Emilio, I don't know what Gallardo is doing. I was pulling my hair out at the beginning as I watched us pass the ball backwards more often than forwards. Mediate is having a bad time; he should have been sent to Vancouver with the rest of the subs.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

G'day mates.

Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Keep it up lads.

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh | May 29, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Clyde up at Olsen's spot. The problem is the baloney sandwich we'd have as holding midfielder.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 29, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Okulaja has got to be the most incompetent ref in MLS history. No card on Joseph for the cheap shot to Fred, no foul call on Revs that led to the last shot on goal, etc, etc. Also, nice attempt at a kick to the head my Reis after Emilio scored. Apparently hurting one DC forward is not enough for that Scumbag.

Posted by: Okulaja Blows | May 29, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Wells has looked sharper today. Tino, Gallardo, Simms, and Moreno have all looked good too.

Posted by: Garret | May 29, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Interesting, but good, half by DC. Great looking possession and 3 really good chances. Should be 2-0 at the moment. Gallardo is spraying passes all over the field and Namoff is getting way up. Looking more and more like the sleeping giant is awakening.

Wells is still inconsistent at best. He's been off his line for 2 punches he has not cleared properly. Still our weakest link I think.

Posted by: strago | May 29, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I was just listening to a VW commercial on WFED. That got me to wondering whether there are any VW owners out there who got free parking last Saturday, courtesy of VW.

Posted by: tri-village | May 29, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

GOOOOOOAAAAAALLLL!!!!

Posted by: Kosh | May 29, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: FFFFFFFRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDD | May 29, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Goal Fred...DCU 2-0 NER

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 29, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

With NE bringing pressure into the half, Wells needs to step up and organize the faltering D.

Posted by: DCBird | May 29, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

GOooal! Fred on the rebound. Nice finish.

Posted by: northzax | May 29, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

And then there's the 2nd goal!!! The D still needs to tighten up...

Posted by: DCBird | May 29, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Pinball goal there!!!

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 29, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Woohoo! Luci's back! We knew you had those moves in you.

And if only Fred could finish like that consistently...

... well, then he'd be playing in Europe, not here.

Posted by: Grunthos | May 29, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Apparently everybody thought the season started today..THIS is the D.C. United I remember!!

Posted by: smith | May 29, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

-----------
As I read it they had a TIFO display planned for night and the front office told them that they couldn't do anything. In addition, they are involved in a long-running fight about what they can and can't do.

Posted by: John | May 29, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

This is what I'm talking about!

DC United!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Phillip | May 29, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Yes, that's what we're talking about! Defensive confusion, and no save from Wells. Again.

Posted by: Grunthos | May 29, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

While Wells has looked shaky all night, that really wasn't his fault.

Posted by: DCBird | May 29, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I am up in New England and talked to some of the supporters. Apparently, they were upset and protested because the Revs wouldn't let them hang up banners ev en though it was a nationally televised game...

Posted by: soccergirl | May 29, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Certainly, it wasn't Wells' fault. But is it too much to ask that he get a touch on such a shot every now and then? Or have I been watching too much EPL football?

Posted by: Grunthos | May 29, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying he couldn't have gotten a touch, or even that he shouldn't have. Lots of keeps would have. All I know is that that was the third time the central defenders have let the ball bounce around the box for several seconds without clearing it.

Of course, it is Wells' job to dress them down for failing to get it out of there.

Posted by: DCBird | May 29, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

It was fun being in NE when we were ahead, but not so much now.

Posted by: soccergirl | May 29, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

You know what...

I'm not for benching Zach Wells.

ZACH WELLS MUST BE CUT!

Posted by: Phillip | May 29, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

....and now it's even.

DCU 2-2 NER

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

wha ha happened..?

Posted by: smith | May 29, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

MARK MUCH??

Posted by: d, dc | May 29, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Welp, Zach Wells you can't commit, then not, then commit. Seriously, Either go or dont go. But if you go, you better damn well get the ball. Your indecisiveness is costing us games.

Posted by: strago | May 29, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Who was supposed to be marking Larentowicz?

Posted by: DCBird | May 29, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Not that our defense helped at all on that one, either.

Posted by: Grunthos | May 29, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

why does this moron keep calling McTavish "Mediate"?

If Luci would have finished some of these golden chances we'd been 3 goals ahead.

Posted by: Glenn | May 29, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Ah, but you see, NE has a player we call a "goalie", who can stop some of those golden chances.

Posted by: Grunthos | May 29, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko? Have we given up? It's still 2-2

Posted by: Glenn | May 29, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

- Certainly not controlling possession in the second half.

- Fred's been a real difference thus far. Is DCU really that lacking without him?

- Emilio is taking too many touches.

- Wells is somewhat better but hardly inspiring.

- DCU doesn't have much movement off the ball in the 2nd half

- Albright has hardly been mentioned. I kinda like that.

- I like Dyachenko but he isn't good enough for that haircut.

Posted by: PotomacBoater | May 29, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

13 minutes is more than enough time for rod to get a red card

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I am not able to watch the game but it it is making me so mad. Now looks stupid wells and stupid defense gave up again. I am sick of wells lost in the jungle look everytime he has not organize the clueless defs. ErrrrrrrrRrrrrr

Posted by: td | May 29, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko on. Ugly time...

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 29, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

damn, im fast

Posted by: khano smith | May 29, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko the foul machine.

Posted by: strago | May 29, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Glenn for the post about the announcer thinking McTavish is Mediate... driving me crazy. Gimme the Comcast team any day.

Posted by: luvsoccr | May 29, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Someone tell Larentowicz he's not on a hockey rink...

Posted by: DCBird | May 29, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Wednesday... June 4th... Houston Dynamo @ DC United...

You HAVE to start Jose Carvallo in goal. I don't care that goals are or are not Zach Wells fault. He is not organizing his defense well enough to be a starter. It's absolute sickening all of the soft goals we have given up this season.

Posted by: Phillip | May 29, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

i'll take it.
but.
wells sucks.

Posted by: d, dc | May 29, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

well, that was unfortunate. We deserved more than 1 point out of that.

why do our players all chase the ball? It's like watching 6 year olds. Stay with you marks for goodness sakes.

Posted by: Glenn | May 29, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Phillip, I'm with you all the way.

Meanwhile, the FO better be out looking for a steady #1 who can organize his back line and defend against set pieces.

Posted by: DCBird | May 29, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Aaaaaand... ballgame.

Should I be happy we got a point on the road despite our massive flaws? Or should I be sad that we still have those massive flaws? I'm torn.

Posted by: Grunthos | May 29, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Good game, despite soft goals, missed chances.

I'll take the point and build off it for next Wednesday.

Posted by: DCBird | May 29, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Look at the bright side:

You could have Wells

AND

LA's back line

AND

San Jose's striker crew.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

...however, at least one blown call (Martinez was clearing undercut before Mediate's foul that led to the second and it looked like Christman was offside on the first NE goal.

And did Santino kill Okulaja's dog or something? Tino could not buy a foul tonight!

Posted by: DC's D was soft on the goals... | May 29, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Despite its flaws, I am not disappointed with this game. DC was the better team, but for significant stretches they were also the team I expect them to be. The first half was their best all year by far. A point on the road, after taking the game to the conference leaders, is respectable.

Of course it would be better to finish our chances. I have really thought for a few years now that Reis pops greenies before the game.

As usual, Okulaja puts in a bad game.

Posted by: black shirt | May 29, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

More points have slipped away.... wells offers nothing....dyachenko belongs on a hockey rink or football field ... on the road or not, you don't lose a 2 goal lead.. does that dull, asleep glazed look ever leave Soehn's face?

Posted by: cosmos | May 29, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Well a point on the road is not the end of the world for a team on the mend. But I am not sold one bit on Wells. The goals tonight may not have (entirely) been his fault, but he just does not look like a starter to me. He could have done something (or pretend to do something) aggressive on the two goals. We won't get a shutout with him between the posts. I don't like him.

Emilio scored again. Yes, a garbage goal but a goal nonetheless. HOWEVER he had some gilt-edge chances tonight that he wasted by either taking too many touches or was just too slow to convert others. We need speed up top, quality and speed. Palermo will definitely be a huge addition.

Gallardo...what can I say? This dude is talent, through and through. He had an awesome night. If we convert better tonight (and we catch Reis on another night) Gallardo has 3 maybe 4 assists in the bank.

Well a point agaisnt the Revs on the road is...OK, but we were good to take all three tonight. Baby steps, I guess.

VAMOS UNITED

Posted by: Kosh | May 29, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Teams have lapses in concentration, they have defensive breakdowns, and sometimes they get unlucky. It is at those times that a goalie earns his keep. Zach Wells has failed miserably in that regard.

Time and time again, when United needed him to make a big play, he has failed utterly. Contrast Well's performance with that of Matt Reis and DCU's poor start becomes much more understandable.

It's not all Well's fault, but he certainly deserves a lot of the blame.

Posted by: noptov52 | May 29, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I thought Wells looked good 1st half...then he absolutely had a nightmare second half.

Carvallo
Namoff-Peralta-Mctavish-Martinez
Simms
Fred-Quaranta-Gallardo-Burch
Emilio/Niell

Posted by: Garret | May 29, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Fred? Is he ok?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

who were those 10 imposters on the field, and what did they do with our beloved United? oh wait. those imposters played our first 1/4 of the season. Aside from Wells and his stupid coming of his line, we looked really good. Let's face it Reis kept em in it.

Posted by: steve-o | May 29, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

The offense did their job but the defense didn't. Bench Wells.

Posted by: Himes | May 29, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

its not dyachenko

its DYASTENKO

Posted by: castroviejo | May 29, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

christman was not offsides.

namoff was lazy by not getting up

Posted by: castroviejo | May 29, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Neither team played 90 mins. The Revs were bad in the first half and on the second DCU goal.

Clearly, if NE is allowed to play hockey they'll make a run at the game. Shocking lack of calls. That said, Joseph is a talent. But Reis clearly the game changer.

Namoff was huge again, but played Cristman onside on the first goal. Tough luck.

Fred, Gallardo and Emilio electrifying at times, but then would go missing on the attack as it was all hands to the pump too much.

A point on the road against NE with McT and Mediate at CB and ZERO BENCH will look good in retrospect.

BTW, I though Dyachenko was fine. Given a hockey game had broken out, he's your guy. He played fine, by me.

Posted by: JkR | May 29, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Wells sucks. But I blame this loss on Soehn. NE came out of the break all fired up. Their coach made some changes and got his players to play better. Soehn? All he did was bring in the same 11 players who managed to lose their concentration.

And who the f**k thought Wells was good enough to be a starter? His indecisiveness (especially in the 2nd half) cost us 2 points tonight. Now Matt Reis, that's a GOALKEEPER. Compared to him, Wells is just a guy who happens to be in goal for DC. Carvallo must really suck. Either that or Wells has some incriminating pics of Soehn.

Posted by: Bart | May 29, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Y'know, if Carvallo isn't able to beat out Wells, then DCU has to get someone else and quick. On that second goal had no plan, unsure of whether to challenge for the ball as he was sliding over. His instincts just aren't good enough. Reis was fantastic, as ever -- but you have to say that the United attackers probably made it possible.

It seems comical that we didn't get the full three points, given all the chances we produced. I guess we could give the Revs credit -- that Nicols is hard to beat.

Still, United is making strides forward. The passing was leagues better than it's been, the possession far more productive. And, I think the defense was fairly solid, except for two mistakes -- and the Revs deserve some credit on those.

Question: How many games in a row can Quaranta get a yellow card, before he's suspended? It seems like he's had one in each of the last five or six games.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 29, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

BTW, did it look like Gallardo was spent in the last few minutes. Just seemed like his impact reduced as the game went on. That's not a good sign for your #1 playmaker.

And please Emilio sometimes a deft touch is better than trying to burst the net. Any striker worth his pay ought to score 1-on-1 against the goalie.

Posted by: Bart | May 29, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

"Quaranta and Gallardo were absolutely class today. Who's up for this lineup next wednesday?

Carvallo
Namoff-Peralta-Mctavish-Martinez
Simms
Fred-Quaranta-Gallardo-Burch
Emilio/Niell"

Uh, Niell over Moreno? He had a great game tonight, that chip over the defense was as close to a goal as any shot this game.

Posted by: Taylor | May 29, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Much better than watching the US Nats play: I'm disappointed that we didn't win but happy we didn't look pathetic.

Posted by: Queensryche | May 29, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

It's time to can Soehn and replace him with someone who knows how to change tactics without a break

Posted by: Dave | May 29, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Disappointing result considering how many chances we had offensively. But a step in the right direction.

Get Rod D off the field. Shave that stupid mohawk and make him a ball boy.

Heaps got away with his shirt-hold on Emilio in the opening minutes.

Posted by: United fan in TN | May 29, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Clear and 74 degrees and 8,000 (official)in the seats. Yikes.

Posted by: Nogra Rover | May 29, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I will continue my rant and say it's time for TS to go. After 70 minutes we hadn't made any adjustments. NE figured out in the first half they made a mistake and subbed before the half. That's good coaching.

Rod's not the problem. He has no clue what his role is, because TS has no clue. Keeping Wells in is more evidence that TS is playing Lotto. One question for all to consider is when NE was getting more athletic with Smith entering the game, why didn't we put in Kirk?

Anyway, high marks to Gallardo and Santino. Emilio looks like he is coming back and Jaime looks solid, as always. Just too bad they were no penalty kicks.

Posted by: Friendship Heights | May 29, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Rod wasn't terrible today just mediocre!

I am very sad the team fell apart in the second half. I shouldn't be surprised by this anymore.

Posted by: United Fan Also in TN | May 29, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm so tired of Zach Wells it's not even funny. He's absolutely horrible. I have to watch this game on Tivo and what do I see, Wells out of position again. The first goal was a good shot. Not much Wells could do there. But that second goal was absolutely horrible. If he's going to follow the ball across the six, he better go after it.

There were two times that he could've gone after it: once as it came across his goal and another right before it got headed. Once he didn't go after it, he got caught in no-man's land and that's worse. If he's not going after it, his position should be in the goal, cutting off a shot AND the pass. He should be one step off of his line and one step over facing the the opposite goal. This is so he can see the whole field. IF he's in this position, there is no way that a shot can go in near post and if it's a pass (which it was) he should be able to slide over and cover the rest of the goal. That's proper positioning. He should know that. It's what keepers learn first thing once they become serious about the position.

If only we could get Seitz, that would be awesome!

Posted by: Q | May 29, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

The United looked much sharper in the first half then they have at any time this year. It looked like fitness took its toll on the team in the second half. Santino Q looked like the only player on our team that was still running hard at the end of the game. our attack was strong, but the defense needs help. Lets stop blaming the coach for every mistake on the field. let the players take responsibility, they are professionals.

Posted by: highlandtown oldtimer | May 29, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Two things just ruined an otherwise good performance for DC on the road: Wells and Dyachenko.

Carvallo must suck if he can't beat out Wells. If so, then we need a new one, now. USMNT has a goalie on the squad who is without a contract, why not him? or the U-23 GK or the U-17 GK, any of which would be an improvement.

Luci should have had 2 and made this a W.

Posted by: RRP | May 29, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Saying I haven't read any of this is the new FIRST!
The end result is not quite as awesome as a win, but...
Our possession is pretty good. I don't watch every game played in MLS but I do try to peek at games outside of United games.
Mediate was a lot better if not just fine in back.
If it wasn't for Matt R in goal we would have stomped the revs.
INertia works in both directions and gravity kills. New England have some inspirational folks turning the screws for that club. Incredible young talent as well. I was really hoping for the 3 points but 1 will do.
Who needs Gomez if you can keep Quaranta and Fred running at fools? United is coming around and though we still are cellar dwellar rats I think that Gallardo is an all star.
Someone else back me on that one!
If Fred keeps making these kind of moves he should be too.
Best thing I have seen since B.Olsen.
enough from me.
I hope the Peraltas are good and I hope Gonzalo is good to go on Wednesday. Never mind USA/Spain right?

Posted by: Dadryan | May 29, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Great shot of Wells up in the Gingers grill on MLS.Net.
Ginger put a nasty hit on Fred and am surprised at the no call.
Sup wit dat?
It's lame when big white dudes put hits on players with more skill than them just cuz. this isn't hockey. Or american football.
Lame.

Posted by: Dadryan | May 29, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

wells played a lot of quick balls into the box correctly. he's a good keeper that just needs time. He is getting better. the back 4 were fine. We didn't get a lot of calls here tonight and if Reis had not played insane we're all happy with a 5-2 win. We were bad up 'til 2 games ago, we are improving. Patience. It doesn't matter what your record going into the playoffs is, but how you played your last 5 games heading in. We in 2006 and 2007 are proof positive of that. Patience, people.

Gallardo, fred, mediate and Quaranta were great.

Posted by: DCAustinite | May 30, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

WELLS BLOWS! He has no clue between the posts! SOEHRRY'N MUST GO! Why would you take OUT Moreno for SH*TSTENKO? why! Moreno was on point tonight! are these the best bench players we have?

BRING IN Pasarella To Manage this team... we have witnessed the talent tonight! NOW LETS GET A REAL LEADER!

vAMOs UniTeD!

WAY TO SHOW EMOTION TONIGHT MORENO!

WELLS, do like your name, find one and JUMP IN!

Posted by: DCU Fan in SOCAL | May 30, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I know I'm crazy but it's good to see DCAustinite agrees with me that Mediate was not the pant crapping disaster that he has been previously this year. After the first ten minutes I was wondering if he was on some reverse samson shizzle whith the short heyair!
Speaking of hair... Is Dychenko like the Eastern Washington Redneck Version of LouRoss(HK) or what?

Posted by: Dadryan | May 30, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

he's a good keeper that just needs time. He is getting better.
--------------------------------------------

A good 'TIME' keeper! hoping an praying the full 90 minutes are near, so the other team stops scoring on his AZZ!

Posted by: DCU Fan in SOCAL | May 30, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

dyastenko sucks

his first touch is 10 feet
he cant pass
he can hack
he is dumb as a rock

Posted by: castroviejo | May 30, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Mediate did play a pretty good game back there. Surprised the heck out of me, too. An example of someone getting better. However, I really think it's different for field players. If Wells hasn't figured it out yet, it's hard to imagine he will. He's not just unpolished. He's played enough that he ought to be more commanding out there. He may not have the personality the position requires. Besides, I really don't think he has the gymnastic ability a top goalie needs. He maybe a better goalie than Dyachenko is a player, but that's not saying a whole heckuva lot. I think Rod could excel at a number of sports. It's just that soccer may not be his best. His first touches are just so awful. And the next ones are only marginally better. I know Tino looks better with each game, and Rod's even younger, but... If it's experience these guys need, they should be getting it with the reserves or on loan to a USL club. We need guys who are actually ready to play professionally at a top-flight level. MLS ain't great, but it's better than Zack and Rod have shown.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 30, 2008 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Re this post from waaay above: Also, DC United fan -- any updates on your plans for a soccer bar (in Bethesda)?
__________________________________

The SEs have been having regular viewing parties at BlackFinn in Bethesda (sign up at the SE website at www.screaming-eagles.com or join our Screaming Eagles page at facebook for area viewing party updates). All DCU supporters are welcome.

Posted by: SEKim | May 30, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

No stadium and a 2-2 tie. Kevin Payne deserves a raise.

Posted by: WalkingWonder | May 30, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

All of you that wants Seitz...be careful what you wish for. He is very similar to Wells. Untested with limited experience. Id be willing to bet alot of growing pains with him as well. Im not a fan of wells but I seriously doubt Seitz would be a dramatic improvement. If you are thinking about his upside down the road(which is considerable), its doubtful he will be in MLS for more than 2-3 more years. I would bet he wouldnt be worth what they would want for him

Posted by: jerry | May 30, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse