Matchday: DCU-Chicago

[UPDATED with DCU LINEUP]

Greetings from soggy RFK.

Reminders.....

*Kickoff is scheduled for 8:02 p.m.
*TV: ESPN2, with pregame starting at 7:30.
*Weather: The game-time report is available here.
*Parking is free. (All at once....."Thanks, VW!")
*Because of the wet field, the DCU under-18 academy team's match against the Potomac club has been moved to the training grounds. Kickoff remains at 4:45. The public is welcome.

The youth program, under the direction of former midfielder John Maessner, is preparing for a major under-17 world tournament in Madrid, beginning May 27. United, which qualified by winning the MLS youth title, will face Sevilla, Español and Partizan Belgrade. As Insider loyalists know, DCU has had talks with Nantes academy director Laurent Guyot about joining the front office. I neglected to make clear that, if a deal is reached, Guyot would not replace Maessner, but would oversee the program, as well as have other duties with the club. Apologies to Mr. Maessner, whom I still fondly remember scoring twice for UVA in the 1989 NCAA Final Four at Rutgers.

My mistake earlier today: Cindi Harkes, not John Harkes, is being honored at halftime for her induction into the D.C.-Virginia Soccer Hall of Fame. John is already in the hall. The others tonight: Marco Etcheverry, Kevin Payne, Gary Allen (youth coach) and Ferdinand Paciolla (coach, administrator).

Okay, as for the big match tonight, all eyes are on Marcelo Gallardo, who is listed as questionable with a strained groin muscle. He struggled in training last week as well, but ended up playing against Colorado.

UPDATE: No Gallardo (groin), no Fred (quad), no McTavish (foot), no Mediate (hamstring). Moreno, who has a knee ailment, is in central midfield.

LINEUP (3-5-2): Wells; Namoff, Peralta, Martinez; Quaranta, Simms, Dyachenko, Moreno, Burch; Niell, Emilio. Subs: Carvallo (age 22), Kirk (20), Stratford (22), Carroll (22), Zaher (22), Cordeiro (22), Doe (22).

As usual, this is the place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion.

By Steve Goff  |  May 8, 2008; 3:00 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA-Brazil Again
Next: Payne Is, Um, a Little Upset

Comments

Rain + strained groin = really not good

Posted by: RK | May 8, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Goff wrote:
-------------------
This explains some of his performance in Colorado... Any news on how long the strain has been bothering him?

Posted by: Jason S | May 8, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

really looking forward to watching this one on TV tonight. DC fans always bring it, even on weeknights.

The Fire, after many years of struggling at RFK, have played some strong matches there recently. Last year's playoff game was thrilling. I hope tonight's match is half as much fun to watch as that game was.

But you have to say, Christian Gomez powered DC back into that one and so far he is missed. While Gallardo may have more skill, Gomez had the amor por la camiseta ("love of the jersey"), which counts for a lot, especially with great fans like you see in DC, Chicago, Toronto, etc.

Posted by: furia yanqui | May 8, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

John Maessner, Tim Kunihiro, Cam Rast, Steve Rammel, Tony Meola, Steve Snow, Paul Bravo... quite a flash back in reading those names from the '89 Final Four.

Most of them went on to MLS -- even though none of them had any idea there would BE an MLS at that time.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 8, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm excited to go to the game tonight - but worried at how we'll do against a legitimately good defense.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 8, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Any word on attendance?

Posted by: hoyanick | May 8, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I am putting a lot on this game. I need to see DC put together a clean sheet tonight and I need to see Emilio score a goal with Gallardo delivering clean services. 2-0 DC would be ideal, Can DC come through?!?!?!?

Posted by: dcchilidog | May 8, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Goff said 15k earlier.

If Emilio disappears tonight, I better hear the boos rain down...

Posted by: RK | May 8, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Work sucks. Let's go to the game now OK?

Posted by: DCBird | May 8, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Go VW's! Beat the Best Buys!

Posted by: Corporate America | May 8, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Goff, I know this is late (work has been busy) but thanks for the Gallardo and Hamlett pieces. I like seeing more DCU articles in the Post besides game previews and results.

Posted by: GoldenChild | May 8, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

This a message to all DC Fans to please not boo me because than I will have to use my weapons of choice which is dive at fake fouls and bark at the referee all game long. Please its going to be a messy field today, I don't want to spend all game on the ground and get all muddy...

your pal
El Cuao

Posted by: Cuatemoc Blanco | May 8, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Where did the love for Luci go? He's the reigning MLS MVP, first 20+ goal scorer for United since 1998(?), has scored 3 goals in the first 10 games of 2008.

Yes he's had trouble getting into a rhythm yet, but who on the team has?

Posted by: TCompton | May 8, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When he showed up to training camp heavy, didn't score for months on end then got a pay raise for playing like ass.

Posted by: League minimum | May 8, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Please do not boo my friend Blanco. I dive and whine just like him and to think you do not approve of diving and whining makes me very very sad and hate myself.

Posted by: El Muneco | May 8, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm calling two goals for luci tonight. bank it.

Posted by: dt | May 8, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I miss the days of losing to the Chicago Fire in important games, especially that time I spit in one of their faces.

Posted by: Christian Gomez | May 8, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

please talk lots of trash to me as I am an a___clown and am queen of the south.

Posted by: Mr. White | May 8, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Donde esta su cuello???

Posted by: Hey Sr. Blanco | May 8, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

From my understanding, the pay rise for Emilio comes if he's with the club next season (I've done a lot of reading today, and I'm a bit memory-drunk at the moment).

However, if Luciano breaks out of his funk tonight -- and performs a post-goal celebration that the lawyers of a certain Chicago Fire DP have warned against -- I'll gladly pay for all legal fees.

...That is, if I had a job.

Posted by: B.A. | May 8, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

they offered Emilio the DP, but couldn't the same for Gomez
we got a bunch of bozos in front office

Posted by: koolcaio | May 8, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

And... I'm wrong. *sigh* Well, it's only an additional 12K cap hit this year.

Posted by: B.A. | May 8, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

0-4 Thumping Coming

Posted by: Darth Hater | May 8, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

The Gomez cry babies never stop.
Gomez was unhappy in DC and hey he's only scored one goal this year, same as Emilio.
Same as Erpen,Burciaga, and countless others who aren't goal scorers.
His assist last week against United was great but it wasn't a goal.
Namoff has the same number of goals as Gomez.
Sheesh!

Posted by: Dadryan | May 8, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

DC United is going to lose tonight 7-0. This is going to be the year that DCU sucked the most!!!!!!! And I am not proud of saying it!!!

Posted by: Devil's Advocate | May 8, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Gomez is old and out of shape, but he still can control the midfield; or at least make some dangerous plays when he's not sucking wind or subbing out in the 60th minute. He seemed to do pretty well last weekend against DC's superstars, though.

Anyway, Emilio is totally off his game. He's got no spark.

Have to say that DC could be in for a whipping this evening if they don't show up.

Posted by: Hacksaw | May 8, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking for Dyachenko, Emilio, Niell and Wells to start the game firmly planted on the bench

Posted by: diego r. | May 8, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

DCU-Columbus (Thursday night) attendance with Guillermo Barros Schellotto playing was 13k-plus.

Maybe with Cuahtemoc Blanco playing they might be able to get 15k...

Posted by: Juan-John | May 8, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Things to hope for tonight:

- We should try to force Chicago's distribution out of the back to be through Prideaux (no skill on ball) and Soumare (inexperience). This means Quaranta will have to be on his game defensively, because they like to trust Segares on the left.
- 442. Chicago plays with Rolfe and Mapp as wingers (real, all-offense wingers) and Blanco likes to float wide too. We need people out there to deal with it. Namoff and especially Burch (who will often be up against Rolfe) have to come up with big games.
- Take advantage of set pieces. Chicago has a good defense, but all 4 players are prone to committing a lot of fouls. We need to make them pay.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | May 8, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

ChestRockwell -- Good observations re: Chicago. Segares is the only guy who passes well out of the back. Guti turns it over too. And we do give away too many set pieces around the box.

However, I think Thorrington will man the right and Rolfe will play up top tonight, probably paired with Barrett.

Posted by: dabes2 | May 8, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm not usually chicken little, but I think we're in trouble for this one...

That lineup is scary, but the problem is that it scares me, not Chicago.

Posted by: bennyf118 | May 8, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

this is going to ugly...

Posted by: jerad | May 8, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

this is going to be ugly...

Posted by: jerad | May 8, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I had this game circled on my calendar from day 1, and now this dude wishes he hadn't. I think we are going to get our a$$es handed to us in this game without gallardo (he needs the pt to gel with the team) and fred (who is 10 times more important to this team than el muneco) and a sloppy possesion-losing pitch.

Lets hope that raise takes emilio's perfomrance to a new level and maybe we can squeak out a tie.

Vamos United!

(Goff, great piece on hamlett today)

Posted by: DudeAbides | May 8, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko - we're doomed !!!

Posted by: diego r. | May 8, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Which United player will get tossed out before the 17th minute? How many goals will Chris Rolfe score by halftime? Final result 5-0 Fire. And the 8,000 angry fans that show up to see Blanco will do their very best to boo some shame into our team. Can a banner carried by Emilio-Gallardo-Tino-Dychenko-Wells be far behind?? Ah, I remember that embarrassing night very well. "The Lean Days" the front office called it. I say they're still with us.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

wow on the inexperience on our roster

Posted by: gilbert | May 8, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing how quickly people lose faith in a team. It's early in the season people. Guess how good our record was early last year? Let's give the team a chance and that goes for luci too.

DC 2-0 Chi

Posted by: Niv | May 8, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

let me correct myself - Niell in, we're doomed !!!

can't we put Pat Carroll in at central defense and have Burch play left mid, or put Quavas Kirk in at right midfield and have Quaranta play left midfield. Niell brings nothing to the game (except for falling down)

Posted by: diego r. | May 8, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Mapp scores?!? You're kidding me!! Sweeet...

Posted by: Modibo | May 8, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

We need kirk on the right and moreno on the left of midfield and push tino uptop. and umm anyone for dyachenko

Posted by: XioPik | May 8, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Tom Soehn has been leaving us exposed in defense the past couple of games. This is absolutely irresponsible coaching.

Posted by: diego r. | May 8, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I also have the feeling, with Wells in goal, that anytime there is a shot on goal that it is going to go in

Posted by: diego r. | May 8, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Folks, we might not make the playoffs. Yikes. I blame everyone...but me of course.

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | May 8, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Biggest problems with this team:

1) No heart, soul, or desire to win. We sorely miss Gomez and Olsen.
2) Speed on flanks
3) Wide play. I saw at least 3 opportunities we passed up on the wings in the first half to play into the congested middle.

Sigh, its going to be a long year for DC.

Posted by: strago | May 8, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Question:

Why was Peralta far away from the center of the field on that goal?

Posted by: B.A. | May 8, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I would add Gros to that equation, Strago. He had the heart, soul and the speed on the blanks you speak of. The front office tried to get too cute this off season and we are going to be rewarded with no playoffs, no champions league and no superliga next year.

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | May 8, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

BA, it looked to me like Peralta had his eyes on Blanco, and was out of position. Maybe it was a tactical instruction, maybe it was stupidity. But man, that's inexcusable, especially considering Tommy Soehn was a hard-ass defender whose strength was his positioning, toughness, and smarts.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 8, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that when Niell is on the field, that we are essentially playing with 10 men

Posted by: diego r. | May 8, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

im done watching the game. If you folks have Fox Sports en Espanol. go watch the River Plate vs. San Lorenzo game, its a hell of a game.

Posted by: jesse | May 8, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Niell is really bad. Like, get rid of him now bad.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 8, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

That was a "STFUDC" goal from Blanco. Unstoppable. THAT is what a DP does.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 8, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Blanco! Blanco! Blanco!

Posted by: Modibo | May 8, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I do

Posted by: Miss last year's defense | May 8, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

...and our DP rode the bench for his club. Go figure.

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | May 8, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

anyone notice how people are always trying to chip wells because hes always too far off his line? i hate to be negative but theres a lot of things that are gonna be hard to fix this season

Posted by: smith | May 8, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

MP,

Yes, I forgot about his speed and tireless work rate.

The defensive pressure we are applying on Chicago is pathetic. That goal from Blanco is well deserved. They should really have at least 2 more. I don't understand how you can leave someone like him that open. Our man marking is wretched. There is way to much space that Chicago is finding. We also cannot possess the ball, AT ALL. It's just turnover after turnover. I'm disgusted...

Posted by: strago | May 8, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

This is easily the least talented team Ive ever seen United put on the pitch. Injuries are a huge part of that, but this is a poor team tonight

Posted by: Kev | May 8, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

How did Blanco score?

Posted by: ???? | May 8, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Awful play by pretty much everyone. No sense of urgency. No challenges on 50-50 balls. No defense. No pressure on the ball.

Injuries can only be used as an excuse for so long. The tactics are questionable. The positioning is poor and everyone is woeful.

Posted by: bristol | May 8, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev | May 8, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of Neil!!!!! He is pretty bad!!!!!!

Posted by: Pi**ed DC United FAN | May 8, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Blanco's goal was indicative of the team's approach to defense. Namoff, Quaranta, Simms, and Peralta fell asleep and let him waltz in and shoot.

And someone tell Marc Burch to stop taking free-kicks. He's worse than Landon Donovan.

Dyachenko must be Alan Gordon's long lost brother. His finishing blows.

Zach Wells is a poor man's Tom Presthus.

Gonzalo Peralta is a poor man's Facundo Erpen.

Tom Soehn is a poor man's Thomas Rongen.

Posted by: bristol | May 8, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm available...will work cheap.

Posted by: Frank Rijkaar | May 8, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

me too

Posted by: Sven-Goran Eriksson | May 8, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I gots to get paid!

Posted by: Emilio | May 8, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

burch is gassed. guess thats what happens when youre the only one on the left side. at least hes fighting for 50-50 balls. i guess thats a bright spot? brightish?yeah, you're right, i dont even know why im trying, this is bad.

Posted by: smith | May 8, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Will someone pull the trigger? You don't always have to defer.

Posted by: strago | May 8, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Emilio's body language suggests that he doesn't care anymore.

Posted by: Max | May 8, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

"that's all frustration" - JP

no, that's all dyachenko, baby. red card waiting to happen

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Two word review

Sh*t sandwich

Posted by: Kev | May 8, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

God bless the supporter section but how can they still be chanting DC United after that aSS whooping. I would be showering booos on their a$$es

Posted by: Raining Booos | May 8, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Unable to watch the game tonight on ESPN2 due to my satellite not working.

Probably a blessing in disguise. :(

Posted by: United fan in TN | May 8, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

That was an old man's game. Jaime Moreno holds the ball too long; no quick wall passes; too few overlaps. It's all 'hold the ball and look for the clever pass.'

Posted by: Larry | May 8, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

we are ****ing garbage.

niell? garbage.
dyachenko? garbage.
flanks? garbage.
3-5-2? garbage.
leadership? nonexistant.

this team is awful.

Posted by: ant | May 8, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Fire the manager. He has lost his team

Posted by: Soehn Hater | May 8, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

oh yeah: emilio. wide asleep and seems to just not care.

Posted by: ant | May 8, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

DCU has come to lose its passion for game. WE NEED CHANGES!

Posted by: Trade_Niell_Emilio | May 8, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

FYI, I don't have a right foot at all. Just wanted to let everyone know that.

Posted by: Marc Burch | May 8, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

IF this team finishes higher than RSL did last year I think we should consider that an accomplishment. Someone pull the trigger and fire Soehn.

McFarlane? Chang? Payne? Someone? Anyone?

Posted by: DCUnPNW | May 8, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Bet you all are kinda upset that DC traded with Toronto to get me back huh?

Posted by: Rod DyaSTINKo | May 8, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

You all know you want to blame me for this mess but can't because of my previous medical history. I guess that's a plus for me.

Posted by: K. Payne | May 8, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

we need a good coach!! also need to get rid of a few player there, dyachenko,emilio,niell, I like Moreno but hes old now get a front office job or think about coaching this team

Posted by: koolcaio | May 8, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Boy am I glad that I'm not part of this mess.

Posted by: Christian Gomez | May 8, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Troy Perkins, who?

Posted by: Z. Wells | May 8, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Even I pity DC.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 8, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

*sigh*

Posted by: Sean M. | May 8, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Enough with the knee-jerk reactions. This is a new team, and they need time to gel. Remember how poorly we started last year? Have faith in the FO. They'll make another Erpen-Vanney trade to trigger a 13 game unbeaten streak again.

. . . Who am I kidding? Fire the whole squad and hire Real Maryland.

Posted by: Glaucon | May 8, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

hmm... let's see, carroll - w, erpen and gomez - w, prideux - w... can't wait til the houston game

Posted by: guy boswell | May 8, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

i am so so so glad that i didn't make a trip down to RFK today. maybe all of Barra Brava and Screaming Eagles should sit down the next home game. you know, to show the team that we're losing faith too.

Posted by: blah | May 8, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't matter who played well in spurts United sucks! They show moments of hard work, never brilliance mixed in with the worst football they have ever played.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Horribly constructed lineup, I blame the FO. It's been demonstrated many times in this league that money should be spent going forward: midfielders and forwards. Serviceable defenders are cheap. United purchased a forward (a questionable one at that, Niell's workrate is okay - but I'm not sure why his teammates continue to give him service through the air) and defenders (Peralta - serviceable, Martinez - hopeless, did anyone notice him watching the first goal?: both overpaid). This team has no spine through the middle of the field. Which brings me to my question: Who was the best midfielder for this team tonight? Simms? The only midfielders I remember were all wearing red jerseys. Please come back Beninho! We miss you!

Posted by: UnitedinSF | May 8, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Well, the table does not lie. This DC team is seriously, seriously underachieveing and I am no longer in the mood to wait for this team to gel. I am tired of watching this crap. The team needs to be blown up and rebuilt before it's too late. Winning something this season? At this point, I dunno.

This team just plain sucks, and its all falling apart, and TS is looking less and less like he's capable of running this ship. I am really ticked right now, and I have this sinking feeling that I am going to feel just about the same tomorrow. I am sorely disappointed and extremely angry right now. This is simply not a good time to say anything about any of the players. What a pathetic, shameful and disgustingly embarrassing performance.

If this crew can't bleed for the shirt, if they won't split their guts for this team, for these fans then kick them out - ALL OF THEM - regardless of history or who has the most fan boys. DC UNITED IS BIGGER THAN ANY ONE PERSON. THIS TEAM HAS HISTORY AND TRADITION AND THIS LOT ARE NOT FIT TO WEAR THE SHIRT!!

Posted by: Kosh | May 8, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Underachieving? Or... just not very good?

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 8, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

i wonder how much Luci made today.

Posted by: garret | May 8, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Boy, was it embarresing? I mean come on! That was the most rubbish football you could ever see. It's not like Chicago is great but our squad really realy sucks. As I aften mentioned in the threds, Emilio is completely rubbish. I am never a fan of him or his play even when he won the mvp. Now OF is trying to offer him dp!! Wow

Posted by: td | May 8, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

You know who could coach this team? Etcheverry.

seriously.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Etch in for head coach and Moreno in for Ass. coach

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

How many times did three or four players go up for the same header? How many times did one player scream and gesticulate (that's a real word) at another player out of pure frustration? How many times did someone take a shot from 20+ yards out simply to take a shot (and how many times did a player keep dinkin' with the ball without taking a shot)?

This is lookin' a lot like weekend ball... without any organization, direction or deliberation...

Without reservation, when do we get to start holding the coaches accountable?

Posted by: Mickey | May 8, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

"You know who could coach this team? Etcheverry."

Go ahead... I'd love to see a few more nails driven into his coffin. You lot may have spent the last thirteen years in awe of Etch, but to the likes of Dyachenko, Wells, and Quavas Kirk, El Diablo means nothing.

Take my word for it: the last thing you want is to be in a situation where you put up a sign that reads "FIRE ETCHEVERRY." You might as well take a sharpie to that "TRADITION" slogan on the back of the shirt.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 8, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

OK -- I'm first one back from the game, maybe?

And, what do I see? The usual crap "it's early" posts? Early? This team has got nothing.

If we want any hardware, we should concentrate on the U.S. Open Cup -- though I have to say, with our offense, I don't know how many USL teams we could beat. Good thing we don't have relegation here. I said this after the RSL game -- we may have beat them 4-1, but we were outplayed for much of the game -- at least until we had a 2-0 lead from some fortunate penalty calls.

With Fred and Gallardo we are better than we showed tonight, but that's damning with faint praise.

What was the difference? Chicago created gaps in the defense, causing opportunities to develop and shooting lanes to present themselves. DCU found a wall. Heard of the Gang that Couldn't Shoot Straight? DCU is the Gang that Can't Get a Shooting Opportunity. Not once did DCU create a good shooting lane.

Simms showed off his cannon again -- it's too bad he can only find the back of the net once or twice a ear. Burch is one-footed wonder, making him very easy to defense -- and he was still the only hope we had of creating any scoring opportunities. I'll give him props for that nice last corner that Jaime almost put away, but the rest of the game was forgettable.

The defense? I'm tired of reading people ripping Wells. He saved our hide repeatedly. This game should have been 3-0 or 4-0. The defense blows the marking all on its own. Stop blaming Wells. I watched them let players slide into open space over and over again. Maybe, its our players; maybe, it's the formation. It's not Wells. Until other teams figure out not to shoot low on him, he's going to make some spectacular plays.

This team may not be the worst in MLS. On the other hand, it might be.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 8, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

i think its obvious.

fire volkswagen. we need a new sponsor.

Posted by: smith | May 8, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, MacFarlane was white-knuckling the railing on the owner's box the entire second half. He was counting the pixels on the monitor in the owner's box during the replay of Blanco's goal. He was clearly focuesed on the field during the second half - notwithstanding the fact that a fair amount of VW VIP's were probably on hand.

Posted by: Mickey | May 8, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

"Mastodon Juan, griefer? Or just nowhere to post in the vast media market of NY because well, why should the media pay any attention if no one goes to the games?"

As I have said before, I represent the silent voices of everyone who hates United.

On a more limited scale, I represent the four or five Metro supporters who also took jobs within smelling distance of the Potomac, even if some of us have to spend two out of three weeks watching MLS TV or ESPN2 at Hampton Inns in the suburbs of non-MLS cities.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 8, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

"fire volkswagen. we need a new sponsor."

Fire Volkswagen? Hell, I think they should fire YOU.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 8, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

M-J. I was once a Metros fan who took a job within smelling distance of the Potomac. Don't sweat it. Maybe you'll grow into a United fan eventually. Like me. But, it won't happen until we bring in some players with actual talent. I"m not defending Tommy. I don't know if he's a good coach. I dont think tonight's game helps his cuase, but the line-up was devoid of anyone who can create offense or score, with the possible exception of old man Moreno.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 8, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I do fear the VW curse. Bringing in not just a German sponsor, but that German sponsor. That's just not good karma.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 8, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

boo!

if anyone gets a rating over about a 4 for that stinkeroo Goff will need to turn in his typewriter.

why can't anyone make a simple pass to his teammates? Why is Marc Burch standing around marking empty space when the other team has the ball and Blanco is standing wide open? Why is Dyachenko even on this team? What is wrong with Clyde Simms? Why will no one step up and stop Blanco from running free?

Sad, sad, sad.

Posted by: Glenn | May 8, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

that was embarassing. i cant believe i just paid to see that

Posted by: chris | May 8, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I guess whatever bonus Emilio made only paid him to play for the first 20 minutes. Another problem is A-mid. Dyachenko is hot trash and is third string at best.

Martinez is about the only dude out there with heart besides Moreno, Namoff and Santino (and maybe Simms). He at least manned up and knocked punk Rolfe over a few times.

And how many times did Tino get looked off when he was wide open on the outside to hit a cross in?

This post is disjointed but I think our biggest problem is not having Ben Olsen. That man is our heart and the real field general.

Posted by: Darth Hater | May 8, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Not one player should receive anything over a 4 tonight. That was a shocking display all the way around. We are awful up top, weak and short on depth in the midfield, and quite slow in the back. I know Niell pretty much blows, but at least the poor bastard tries his best. I'd give him the only 4 for the evening.

Posted by: Hoost | May 8, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I have no words to explain. Just returned from the game. I didn;t feel any excitments at the game. Without Fred, Gallardo, McTavish you will notice how much dfference it makes and we can clearly see on the field. Chicago did nothing to inspire me to think that they deserved the win. It's our lack of play.
So, as most posters pointed out earlier the threds....Emilio man was he suck. I HAVE NO WORDS TO EXPLAIN. I DON'T SEE ANY LEADERSHIP FROM THE COUCHING STAFF AGAIN. JUST SO YOU KNOW. GELLING TIME IS WAY OVER NOW.

Posted by: arlington for United | May 8, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Dont you hate the guys that always tell you to be patient about a coaching change. Well they are always right, except for this year, this reminds me of the 2000 season

Posted by: dc fan | May 8, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I want to coach DC United.

Posted by: Ray Hudson | May 8, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to forget how pitiful we are...please forget...

Posted by: Andy | May 8, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

============================================
Goff - you forgot no defense...

wow - that was pretty rough. I still have the faith that we'll get this turned around.

Think about it, tonight we played without 4 legitimate starting mf (Olsen, Gros, Gallardo, Fred).

Depth a problem, we all know it is. Tom needs to figure this out.

See all of you believers in LA, that's where I'll be.

BB doesn't boo the team. We support them, even when they aren't playing well.

Posted by: JSF | May 8, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Well, that was pretty bad. But I think these things go in negative feedback cycles. It'll just get worse and worse--until it stops, and clicks. Or sputters.

Regardless, it's not really about the talent on the field. Recall, if you will, NE's AWAY win over #1 Dallas a few weeks ago. Our team today is considerably more talented than that team was, I don't care who you are (ok, MJ, you're excused).

There's no chemistry. It will come. It will take time. Some of that I put on Soehn, but it's hard to blame folks for the intangibles.

Good things: I did see people trying to jumpstart the team at various points, but nobody can do it by themselves and it was disjointed and jumbled. Moreno did his damnedest to carry this team on his back and he almost succeeded.

This too shall pass. Like a kidney stone perhaps, but it will pass.

Posted by: viv | May 8, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Fisch, if someone tells me that if I support DC, I never have to spend another night at the Plano TX Hampton Inn, I would actually think about it. One of these days, one of these interminable consulting trips will coincide with a game down in Frisco, and I'll take my rental Ford Focus down the North Dallas Tollway. Until then, it's Powerpoint, stale bagels, and the worst coffee known to man.

If the Metrostars circa 2004 had taken a good sponsorship offer from VW, it would chafe my MOT ass too, but to be fair to you, I still would have stuck to my boys. Don't buy the shirt, still support the team you love.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 8, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

...more like Dyastinko

Posted by: Rex North | May 8, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the 3-5-2 experiment is over.

Maybe the Tom Soehn experiment is over, too.

How the hell do you have a 3-5-2 with Gonzalo Martinez (shirker) back there? At least give the team a chance to do something. What the hell is it with the 3-5-2 and American coaches, anyway? That piece of crap formation hardly ever works. If anything, I would go with a 4-5-1 and hope to get lucky. This is with the wide mids helping out on defense. Sub the flankers second half and try to make a run, or someting.

Can't blame Soehn for taking the job, but boy has he not delivered. At least Ray Hudson was good for a laugh...

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 8, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

The Gods are Unhappy
first half looked great
I know I'm to blame for Blanco's goal.

The fat boy with his back turned to the field assured me of that after my hollerin'.
Like I said his back was turned and didn't see Wells Way out of position again...
Luci looked better tonight
Moreno is the man.
This team is really in trouble now but they seemed to try a bit harder tonight.
Wish it would have pissed on us all earlier.
Can't believe Blanco's goal.
Wells has got to go.
Let's see Jose already.

Posted by: Dadryan | May 8, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

M-J -- Funny stuff. Yeah, I'll continue to support the squad, but I didn't like seeing a few fans with the new jerseys. Not for me -- unless VW and DCU come out with some special Israel's 60th birthday version....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 8, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Four Four Two.

Cuatro Cuatro Dos.

Quatre Quatre Deux.

Er Er Si.

Arba' Arba' Itnayn.

Anybody else know a language that the coaching staff might understand, feel free to chip in.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 8, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Fisch - How would a "VW/DCU Isreal 60th Birthday Version Jersey" change anything?

Posted by: apqjr | May 8, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | May 9, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

***Anyone not watching or listening the local news, be aware that south of DC has a Tornado warning***

RE: Tonight's game

Awful, awful, awful; our defense is non-existent, and our strikers have no confidence in themselves and when you have that chances will be far and few in between.

Posted by: Red Devil | May 9, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't call Martinez a shirker. He hustles. He's a thug. A cheap-shotting thug, who somehow gets away with those takedown shoulders and shoves into the boards. But, he does hustle.

I also can't agree about Wells. His defense let him down. He had no chance on either goal.

Soehn speaks German. Vier Vier Zwei

I have to say with Gallardo and Fred out, the 3-5-2 didn't seem like a sensible idea. I realize we didn't have but 4 healthy defenders, but.....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 9, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

"Daft" means "dimly aware of why you're wrong while still being wrong."

A lot of us whose parents were holocaust survivors identify VW with a bad group of people.

If VW have made strides forward, good for them, but don't fault those of us who are uneasy with VW for reluctance to take too much jow.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 9, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

this team is pretty much atrocious. we don't do a single thing well on the pitch.

we have caught a case of the DC area sports team virus. our immune system broke down and we are now infected with what afflicts the rest of the complete dissapointments we have for teams in this area.

let's go get some more bargain bin South Americans and overpay them!!!!!!

Posted by: Peter S. | May 9, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

apqir -- It wouldn't change the past, but it would make me feel a little better about sporting a "VW" logo -- if there was some special Jewish symbolism, it might make me feel differently about the present/future. But, mostly, I was joking.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 9, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

I left out the final request: don't be daft.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 9, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

New song for the Barra Brava (and it gives me NO pleasure to sing it!!!):

we all want to fire Tommy
He's the worst coach in the league
and we'll really f**k him up when we lose another cup
'cause United is a crappy football team!

Posted by: jrnail23 | May 9, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Well said, Mastodon. It may be daft, but it's our right to be daft.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 9, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Excuse me? United is the greatest football team.

Posted by: Sir Alex Ferguson | May 9, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Four Four Two.

Cuatro Cuatro Dos.

Quatre Quatre Deux.

Er Er Si.

Arba' Arba' Itnayn.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 8, 2008 11:54 PM

You got the Chinese wrong, it would be
Si Si Er

Also with Soehn should be Vier Vier Zwie

Posted by: Matthai | May 9, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Si. If anyone wants to pay me money to play, I'm ready. Gallardo -- "Estoy contigo hasta la muerte" -- I am with you forever.

Posted by: Diego M. | May 9, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

I go back and forth as fast as I can, apparently for no reason. I swerve right, and swerve left. I also hit the ground a lot. Who am I?

Someone not too familiar with soccer who watched the game said, this player (to be revealed) compares to a PING PONG ball.

Posted by: Franco Niell | May 9, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Four Four Two.

Yeah, it's time to grind it out and at least win 1-0. Time to bunker in and crank out some wins. Beautiful game? Hardly . . .

Cuatro Cuatro Dos.

Quatre Quatre Deux.

Arba' Arba' Itnayn.

Posted by: delantero | May 9, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Juan - who's faulting anyone for anything?

Fisch - I always enjoy reading what you post (you too Mastodon...almost always), and even thought I still forget my mobile # from time to time, I remembered you mentioning how much the VW sponsorship bothered you earlier in the week. I realize it's affecting you but I didn't think it would cause you to have second thoughts about supporting the team.

I'm glad to see that's not the case.

Posted by: apqjr | May 9, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Goff's got a new story up.

Apparently, KP exploded. Says he's prepared to make changes. I could name at least four or five that ought to be made...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 9, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Matthai. :-)

With those brand-new sponsors sitting in what goes for an RFK suite, I can see how KP, embarrassed about the loss, would be all smiles and shrugs with the VW people and still feel a need to tear someone a new bodily orifice.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 9, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Payne's to do list:

First Task, Send Niell back to Alice.

Second Task, buy VW Toureg to haul crappy players back to airport.

Posted by: delantero | May 9, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Etchevery as a coach nah. Great players dont make great coaches. IE Wayne Gretzky.

Posted by: Somebody | May 9, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse

- Etchevery as a coach nah. Great players
- dont make great coaches. IE Wayne Gretzky.
- Posted by: Somebody | May 9, 2008 12:54 AM
---------------------------
Sorry Somebody,
I think Cruyff, Van Basten, Keane, Klinnsmann, Rijkaard, and Dunga would disagree with you.

Posted by: jrnail23 | May 9, 2008 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Great players don't make great coaches? Joe Torre did OK as a manager. In fusbal, Klinsmann seems to be a good coach.

Posted by: Michael Jordan | May 9, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Ruud Gullit might want to disagree there, too

Posted by: Beckham | May 9, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Three comments.

1) I don't think Niell could have been any less of a factor. I have to question his start, especially when 6-4 Soumare is marking him.
2) Looking at the schedule, I hope this doesn't become a pattern. There are no easy games until June 22 at home against San Jose.
3) Good for Payne and Soehn for calling out players. Individual mistakes are killing this team.

Posted by: tpm26 | May 9, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Was? Wo ist mein Name

Posted by: Franz Beckenbauer | May 9, 2008 1:12 AM | Report abuse

SoehnRRY BLOWS! GET RID OF HIM! WE NEED A TACTICAL MAGICIAN WITH THE PLAYERS WE HAVE! AND NO NOT ECHEVERRY!

VAMOS UNITED!

Posted by: DCU Fan In SOCAL | May 9, 2008 1:13 AM | Report abuse

I actually love Niell's hustle, but he doesn't produce results -- at least not in an adult league. Sorry. However, I sympathize with Tommy. The other option would have been to put Jaime up top -- in which case we'd have had an especially inept midfield. No good choices, though I think Tommy made the worst one.

Is this season salvageable? Bring us Shevchenko...or...either Riquelme or Palermo.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 9, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Thank God we only have Niell on a year-long loan from Argentinos Juniors.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 9, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | May 9, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Personally I think it's a little unfair to force Niell to play with a size 5 ball. He might do better in one of the half-time swarm ball fests with the kids.

Posted by: Bellecosse | May 9, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse