More News From RFK

*Devon McTavish (sprained foot) did not practice and appears unlikely to travel with DCU to Denver this weekend.

*Fred (bruised quadriceps) practiced Wednesday and Thursday, but worked out on the side today.

*Domenic Mediate (hamstring) was also limited in his activity today.

*Marcelo Gallardo is a little banged up and jogged around the training grounds.

*While other outlets have been quoting anonymous sources, catching fleeting glimpses of players in hallways and publishing e-mails from shadowy senders, we finally have someone associated with DCU on the record about the club's new jersey sponsor, Volkswagen.

Insider: With your German ancestry, how do you feel about a German automaker representing your club?

Coach Tom Soehn: I think it is two great companies coming together as partners.

Insider: So you are confirming it.....

Soehn: If it is Volkswagen. It could be Chevy. Then I'll play my American card.

Nice recovery, coach. ;-)

I'll share all the specific details with Insider loyalists early next week. Enjoy the weekend. Unless something urgent arises, I will not rejoin you until Sunday afternoon from Denver.

By Steve Goff  |  May 2, 2008; 2:02 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olsen's Career in Jeopardy
Next: No Fred

Comments

Nice jedi mind trick, Goffer.

"These arent the sponsors you're looking for"

Posted by: Rick in ashburn | May 2, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

All this talk of rumors and anonymous sources, but this looks pretty legit

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | May 2, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Fred with the amazing recovery from "dead leg." Huh.

I played an entire game with a broken and bleeding nose (many a year ago, and it was an improvement to my face). I watched a 16-year-old in high school run a guy down 60 yards -- with a torn knee ligament -- to cleanly tackle the offender who caused the knee injury. I've seen 10-year-old kids take balls directly to the face, and keep running. (Falling to the ground never occured to them.)

Fred and the other MLSers who drop to the ground in agony at the slightest nudge ought to check out a youth game every now and then, just to experience the passion that drives athletes to excel.

Meanwhile, Tommy ought to put Fred's behind on the bench.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 2, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"You don't want to sell me sponsors, you want to change your life."

Posted by: Stan | May 2, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it looks like MLS (and their current "no comment" stance) looks to be trying to control the message/news.

But this seems done.

Obviously, the league and United seem intent on debuting their new jerseys on 5/8, and not sooner.

Posted by: V-dub | May 2, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Is McTavish just trying to stay home for Apple Blossom in Winchester this weekend?
j/k. hope he gets better soon!

Posted by: johnk | May 2, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

If you have time be sure to stop by the Class VI tailgate before the game. Parking lot AA, far east side of the lot. Starting two hours before kickoff.

Posted by: Bonji | May 2, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Careful Goff,
They like to kick people out there. Facists!

Posted by: jgildea | May 2, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Re:Class VI tailgate. Starting two hours before kickoff.

Posted by: Bonji | May 2, 2008 2:37 PM

AMATEURS!!!!

Posted by: myt! | May 2, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

So now in addition to the NY vs. DC rivalry we have an Austria vs. Germany rivalry with our sponsors. Nice! Just too bad NY doesn't have any fans.

Posted by: Southeasterner | May 2, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what's with the Fred hate? I don't get it.

Posted by: DCAustinite | May 2, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Um, Joe Doc? Did it ever occur to you that perhaps Fred's activity was being limited today to make sure that he's as recovered as possible for the game? You know, practice on the more intense days in mid-week to make sure you can go on it, despite the soreness, and then shut it down a bit to rest it up (and avoid exacerbating the injury) prior to the game.

I wonder, by the way, did the 16 year-old with the torn ligaments play the next week?

On the other hand, I once ate a really spicy bowl of chili, and I was right back on the can the next morning after my coffee...so I guess I, too, can call out professional athletes as weaklings.

Posted by: EdTheRed | May 2, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Boy, with Goffinho's sleight of word (as opposed to sleight of hand) and with EdtheRed's chili comment, this blog's giving me lots of opportunities to perform spit-takes with my daily refreshment.

Rock on!!

Posted by: Beaker | May 2, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Related story alongside the Baltimore Business Journal's piece on DCU/VW:

(At least they don't want to be the Y*nk**s of MLS. :) )

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 2, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

at edthered

REPPED!!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Ich liebe Eintracht DC!

Posted by: Andy | May 2, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I can see the new DCU bumper stickers now: the "Fahrvergnuegen" stick figure guy with a soccer ball...

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

@edthered:

That sound that just went flying over your head was my point. I'll try again:

I've seen kids and teenagers take harder hits than Fred did, and keep playing (the 16-year-old chased the guy down immediately after getting hurt. I'm assuming he was out for weeks afterward).

A muscle bruise? Please! Man up, get back in the game, and rest/recover later. Do you think Benny would have taken himself out of the game like that?

Why all the hate for Fred? No hate here. The guy can play. He just needs to toughen up.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 2, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc,

Your internet diagnosis of Fred's injury is fantastic.

I'm a big fan of doctoring remotely.

Posted by: Bill Frisk | May 2, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

1. It's "Frist"
2. Guess I'm not drinking the Kool Aid today, so I'm pulling myself out of this match.

P/O.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 2, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

hey Joe Doc: when's the last time Benny played? oh right. when your livelihood is based on being healthy and playing, you take care of yourself. when you play injured without treatment, you risk furher injury and an end to your career.

I have told ligaments (in my shoulder, skiing) and went the rest of the run down to the bottom. After surgery, I was out of commission for 6 months. had I not moved, it would have been more like 4 months. oops.

Posted by: northzax | May 2, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc: Unless you have personally examined Fred today, you have no &^%$# idea the severity of Fred's injury. None. Diagnosing a player based on what you saw from your seat or on TV is crap. If he's hurt, he's hurt. Reading between the lines, it seems they're bringing him along carefully so he can play Sunday.

Posted by: DCU UCD | May 2, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Goff, we appreciate you travelling with our local club again. Cheers.

Posted by: td | May 2, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

more importantly when you travel DCU seem to be winning so keep travelling.

Posted by: td | May 2, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh my god I will FREAK OUT if these rumors of a shirt sponsor are true. We've been waiting for this day for years now -- and, finally, it looks like it might happen. Goff you better not be teasing us. I want to buy new home and away gear with A REAL PRODUCT LOGO on the jersey! Come on VW, DCU, make it happen, MAKE IT HAPPEN

Posted by: mk | May 2, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

@mk

I hope you're kidding, and I think you are. If not, this is why I sometimes feel like I don't belong in this consumeristic society. I only get that worked up about goals and championships, not corporate logos. If you were being facetious, sorry I missed it.

Posted by: David | May 2, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey Mr. Goff:

How come the Washington Business Journal scooped you on the fact that VW will sponsor DC United's jerseys? In fact, this was reported yesterday! http://washington.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2008/04/28/daily54.html?surround=lfn

(Not that I care particularly, and I think you're wonderful and all, but some posters seem obsessed with this announcement).

Posted by: SoccerMom | May 2, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm predicting a return to the 442 for Sunday. Lots of factors point to it:

- Our 2008 road troubles
- Poor history in Colorado
- Stratford's struggles alongside Simms, combined with a desire for some more attacking urgency, saw us go to a 3142, with Simms the lone defensive midfielder. I don't see us doing that against Gomez, but with McTavish probably out, the only other option would be throwing Stratford straight back into the fire.
- Colorado's emphasis on wing play, featuring the man-crush of many SI commenters (Cooke) and possibly MLS's most underrated winger (Clark)

In a 442, we'll have cover on the flanks, and will be able to get our wide players some isolation against the Rapids' questionable outside backs. I also think we're going to have to use a sub for Emilio at some point, since he will probably have to spend a lot of time chasing the ball and pressuring their backs (with Erpen there, you know we're only a moment away from a freebie goal if we just keep forcing him into critical thinking moments). I think it could be a really good game for Niell to earn some freekicks and generally be a real pest for their backs.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | May 2, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

SoccerMom,

We've discussed this at length for the past two days. Where ya been, hon? Nonetheless, thanks for joining the mob. The Sports Business Journal broke the story, not the Wash Business Journal; that's what they do -- sports biz. Props to them. Maybe their reporting is accurate, maybe not. We'll find out soon enough.

When the dust clears, I might share everything that has happened behind the scenes with this story (from a media standpoint). With a blog, I can do such things. It ain't pretty.

Posted by: Goff | May 2, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc - 16 year olds do lots of experimentation. They're at a different development age, physically and mentally. And they can go back home and sleep in their parents' house, eat their parents' food, and watch their parents' television.

As northzax said, pros need to be healthy to pull down their paychecks so they can put a roof over their heads, food in their bellies - and many do the same for their own kids (who are free to aggravate their injuries to their heart's content with no immediate consequences). Pros are also playing against much, much better competition. A great 16 year old player who's at 80 - 90 percent fitness may still be able to own a game. Most pros can't - and from what I've seen that includes Fred.

Posted by: Modibo | May 2, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Well said, Modibo. Good thoughts to consider.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 2, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Just to echo what a lot of people are saying on Fred: he's been one of our strongest performers on the field since he first arrived last year. To lose him to something as "simple" as a leg injury -- by the way, last time I checked footballers do a lot of running and kicking -- would be utterly senseless and a failure of the DC coaching and medical staff. I think that goes without saying. Let the man rest and recover, we're going to need him down the stretch.

Posted by: Andy | May 2, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible that a United story can get broken by Craig Stouffer at the Examiner rather than here and it not be about some "we'll tell you the real story at some point" intrigue?

Posted by: Jerry's Other Kid | May 2, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Go back and read the Examiner story, Mr. Other Kid. Other than reporting a uniform being carried around by a player, the story had no one commenting and not even an anonymous source confirming the deal, just speculation. It was a fortuitous observation, but no actual reporting. The Sports Business Journal did the real reporting. Credit to them. Like I've said over and over and over, I will have more specifics for you early next week. Let ... it ... go.

Posted by: Goff | May 2, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

To all you doubters, after watching a House marathon last week-end, I was able to extract a splinter from my dog's paw that I hadn't previously done.

If I wasn't going to LA next week-end, I probably would have cured cancer.

Posted by: JSF | May 2, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

If I wasn't going to LA next week-end, I probably would have cured cancer.

Posted by: JSF | May 2, 2008 6:02 PM

JSF,
I could use some help around the hospital. Give me a call and I'll have you treating all the splinters and thigh bruises.

Posted by: Beaker | May 2, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Beaker | May 2, 2008 6:56 PM

Can I scrub in on your next heart surgery?

Posted by: C. Yang | May 2, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Yes - joking. I'll never understand the fan desire for a shirt sponsor. I mean it would be cool if it were ferrari or something

Posted by: mk | May 2, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

or it would also be cool if they gave you a free car for wearing the shirt to the dealership. But yeah, I have never understood the clamoring for a shirt sponsor either.

On the Fred thing, to call him a weakling is beyond idiotic. Unless you have had Carey Talley's knee hit your thigh you got no business talking smack and telling Fred to just "be a man" and play. Deep bruises can be very painful and will certainly slow you down. Fred is such a fiery and competitive player it is impossible to believe that he took himself out of the game last week if he wasn't really unable to continue playing.

Posted by: Glenn | May 2, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Watching the Toronto FC fans last night, I was wondering how West Ham players will react when they get streamers thrown at them during the All Star Game. My guess is they won't be happy. Can't wait for Beckham to take corners up there.

Posted by: Mark | May 2, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Soccermom:

Are you seriously questioning Goff getting scooped on the VW sponsor??

If so, then you are completely out of touch and maybe have NEVER read the soccer insider, Goff has tampered our over-enthusiastic rumors about a shirt sponsor for YEARS and specifically the VW sponsor for at least 6 months. A business jounrnal reports something that hasn't been confirmed by either DCU or VW and now Goff has dropped the ball?? This man does more for soccer daily than any of us.

Goff may be holding out on stadium news but he doesn't hold out on anything else.

Posted by: Rocko | May 2, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Here's the scoop-
While playing in austrailia fred ate some kangaroo eggs-which have an unusually long gestation period. DCU is spending all of the 3.7 million dollar sponsor money to have the eggs extracted. Howvever, the new sponsor isn't VW-its Eastern Motors-you job's your credit. I top Goff!! I am king of the blogs!

Posted by: pigman sweet | May 2, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

LOL!

Posted by: Goff | May 2, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm just glad we have 2 newspapers who actually give a rat's *ss about covering soccer. Instead of people arguing over who "broke" the story, let's appreciate what Goff and Stouffer do to keep us informed.

Posted by: Mr. Happy | May 2, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Remember Veron-gate.

Have a good weekend, Goffinho!

Posted by: B.A. | May 2, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Goff, how come you don't know everything? Cause you should. It sucks that you aren't omnicient. Well, drop one of the Fs and slide the other to the left one letter and then come back and report on our beloved United. Come on man! For the love of Goff! :)

Posted by: AlexandriaDan | May 2, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Goff, how come you don't know everything? Cause you should. It sucks that you aren't omniscient. Well, drop one of the Fs and slide the other to the left one letter and then come back and report on our beloved United. Come on man! For the love of Goff! :)

Posted by: AlexandriaDan | May 2, 2008 11:14 PM

I'm sorry... WHAT??????

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 12:51 AM | Report abuse

I am a big fan of soccermoms.

Yummy!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | May 3, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse

I kinda like the jersey without a logo. Understand why we need/want one but wish we didn't have to.

Posted by: RRP | May 3, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Soccer America mentions that a U20 squad coached by Thomas Wrongen, with Marco Etcheverry as an assistant coach, is off to England for a few friendlies aginst EPL reserve sides, including Man U and Liverpool. It is definitely a "B" side with few familiar names, although it does include Bill Hamid of the DCU kiddie corps. I wonder whether they will do any better than they did in Portugal recently.

Posted by: tri-village | May 3, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mr. Happy | May 2, 2008 9:35 PM

I'll second that. I hate how it has become a pissing contest of who breaks what first anymore.

Posted by: Matthai | May 3, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Since the DCU logo has always looked suspiciously similar to the logo worn by the German national team (with a similar color scheme minus the yellow) VW as a sponsor seems to suit nicely.

Posted by: PM | May 3, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

With Seatle coming to MLS next year, their shirts have Nike logo on them. Would it stay that way or will MLS will strip off and make everything Adida? It would be nice if MLS has different shirt designers, PUMA, Nike, Adida, Umbro and others. I am not sure if Adida controlling everything wonders me if MLS gets worthy of sum!

Posted by: JerseyNut | May 3, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Off topic but...

FULHAM WINS!! Fulham 2-0 Birmingham City

The Cottagers are, at the moment, clear of the relegation zone...with a visit to FA Cup finalists Portsmouth up to finish the season.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 3, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Does Wells has a brighter color shirt? He should wear a nicer looking shirt than he always wears. That gray color is depressing. Brigter color shows nice on TV too. Just my opinion.

Posted by: td | May 3, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of new announcements, I just read that a deal could be made that promises a new DC United stadium...more likely to be IN THE DISTRICT. Kevin Payne said on the Forbes Video Network that an announcement could be made as early as this spring.

Honestly, any news of a new stadium is good news, especially if Payne is speculating that a deal is about to be finalized and that it is "more likely to be in the District."

Goff, heard any news about this? What does everyone else think?

Posted by: Andy | May 3, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Well, drop one of the Fs and slide the other to the left one letter...
Posted by: AlexandriaDan | May 2, 2008 11:14 PM
======

Goe? Oh, I see, one letter on the keyboard.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Does Wells has a brighter color shirt?
Posted by: td | May 3, 2008 12:47 PM
======

Maybe he'll get shirts that are the colors of the 2009 VW models. Seriously though, GKs don't want to stand out so much that the opposing players can see them with peripheral vision. Hence they often wear green (that's my theory anyway).
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FULHAM WINS!! Fulham 2-0 Birmingham City

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 3, 2008 12:35 PM
=======
If they hold their position, it will make two years in a row that Americans have saved Fulham from the soda-pop Championship.

Next week's prediction: Bolton loses to Chelsea, Reading beats Derby, and Fulham draws P'mouth. Fulham and Reading stay in the EPL.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 3, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I thought exactly the same. Maybe that's why he wears gray to hide from the strikers or could be his fav color.

Posted by: td | May 3, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse