More on McBride

As you know, Brian McBride has decided he wants to return to MLS after five seasons in England.

Here is what I know at the moment:

*MLS's negotiations with McBride have just begun and a deal must be formalized before his club can be officially determined.

*Toronto is first in the allocation order, which is used to determine which club has rights to a prominent player. TFC has the option of keeping McBride, trading his rights, or passing altogether.

Let's go through each scenario: McBride would not have committed to returning to MLS if he did not know where he would end up playing. So chances are, he's never going to play for Toronto. McBride's rights carry value, though, so Toronto seems likely to trade him for players, allocation money or draft picks. If Toronto passes -- which would allow it to retain the top spot in the allocation order -- Real Salt Lake would be next on the list.

*One reliable source tells me this afternoon that, one way or another, McBride is, indeed, headed home to Chicago to play for the Fire. (It's just one source, so I'm hoping for more information from other contacts soon.) What Chicago is giving up to acquire him is unclear.

That's where we stand.

I'll keep you updated as more details surface.....

By Steve Goff  |  May 28, 2008; 3:54 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: USA-England
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Could we see Conde in NY with some crazy dealing that eventually lands McBride in Chicago?

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | May 28, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Just a note that the BBC post boards are filled with thanks to McBride and laud his ability, professionalism and skill. Very high praise from Craven Cottage fans as well as opponents.

Posted by: Larry G | May 28, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

How long does a team get to remain at the top of the allocation list? I recall reading somewhere there are expiration dates on them, but don't remember much else. Assuming it's 2 years, Toronto would be pretty much down to half a year to use theirs right? And the allocation list is really just for returning Nats players? Everyone else is signed through their own process right? My point being, who else is on the radar to return, that would make Toronto pass? I would think they would use their claim on him, and see what they could get for him. Columbus has the DP spot to offer I suppose. Chicago has plenty of depth to offer. Seems to me it would be a smart move to cash in this chip while they can.

Posted by: Josh | May 28, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

McBride is a beast. Any MLS team will be fortunate to have him.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 28, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I think Chivas is going to be the team getting McBride.

Posted by: Chivas Advocate | May 28, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

If it's Chicago, they're definitely your title favorites in MLS. Their major weakness is up top (I'm looking at YOU Chad Barrett!).

Posted by: GUTuna | May 28, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Far too easy a scenario:

Reyna retires/Gets hurt. Bulls trade the DP to Chicago for Conde and Barrett or Mapp.

McBride has Chicagoans running to their local Best Buy

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 28, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Egads, thats what we need. A prolific scorer on any other team but DC. Especially a team that has our number in the playoffs.....

Not good news, for a DC United fan....

Posted by: dogboy | May 28, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

DCU trades O'Neil for McBride, Cuatemoc Blanco, and a DP Slot. Wait... I must be dreaming!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Predictor | May 28, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Aw crap. I'm going to go ahead and predict an MLS Cup championship for Chicago right now if they get McBride. I would love love love to see him in DC, but what do we have to offer? A midget? A couple of bad goaltenders?

The allocation rule sucks. If a player is desired by multiple teams, he should go to the highest bidder, assuming they have the salary cap space or DP slot available.

Posted by: DCUMD | May 28, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

McBride and Cunningham for Chris Rolfe

Posted by: ensco | May 28, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

doesn't Chicago already have a glut of forwards? That Polish dude barely gets any playing time. I guess they will have to deal a couple of them to TO. Does Chicago have roster/cap space? would McBride be a DP?

Of course he'll end up at the Galaxy.

Posted by: Glenn | May 28, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I thought if he comes in as a DP, then the allocation and discovery process goes out the window? Chicago has not DP, and who has the cap space. It will be interesting though.

Posted by: GLD431 | May 28, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

That's my understanding too, GLD431. Besides how can the League's 1st draft pick be "discovered"? McBride commands DP money. Chicago has no DP. I think (and hope) it's Columbus. Please, please, please.... ;)

Posted by: FitzCrew | May 28, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

honestly i am just excited to watch him play over here again. OT nate jaqua is out of contract. why doesnt out FO try to get him. it would def be nice to have some one who can take crosses. i know houston still has his rights, maybe they feel bad for giving us well and would release them for free?

Posted by: gilbert | May 28, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm not so sure this is the best move for Chicago. Why break up the great chemistry the team has right now? They are currently playing very well. If it was as simple as adding McBride to the current roster it would be a no-brainer, but will they have to give up too much to get McBride?

I also don't think he's worth DP money. He's had a history of injury problems and he's not exactly a "prolific" goal scorer.

Posted by: mumbly joe | May 28, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Since Phillippe John Peguero didn't work out the for the Quakes, shouldn't we be back up top the allocation list?

Posted by: Matt from San Jose | May 28, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, Barrett seems to be doing something a tad right this season (finally). He's got 4 goals in 9 games. Not a great strike rate, but Chicago is scoring with a lot of players. That said, hard to pass him up if you can get him.

Posted by: OldFireFan | May 28, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I dunno... Barrett seems to be doing something a tad right this season (finally). He's got 4 in 9 games. Not the best rate for your striker, but they're not relying on him for that (thank god). All that said, hard to pass up McBride if you can get him.

Posted by: OldFireFan | May 28, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

man, this would be a great pick up for DC and it's exactly what we need. too bad we suck. :)

i hate chicago.

Posted by: DCfanInPDX | May 28, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I was going to suggest DC go after Josh Wolff but I watched the friendly today and I truly believe Niell is a better option.

Toronto should get A LOT for McBride. TFC should demand Rolff for starters.

Posted by: Hoost | May 28, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Blanco crossing to McBride?

*shudders*

Posted by: DCU-ATL | May 28, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Galaxy sends Ante Jazic and every third round pick in the SuperDraft from now until 2020 to Toronto for rights to McBride.

"OK, you got us. The Galaxy can have every designated player they want until they are good," said MLS Deputy Commissioner Ivan Gazidis, waiting in line at the Pie, Eel and Mash concession stand at Wembley Stadium on Wednesday.

Posted by: AM | May 28, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

RSL gets him with the second allocation spot. He is going to take DP money. RSL has DP slot. They desperately need a finisher and they need something to get the fans back on board, who have about had it with the team's ineptitude.

Posted by: Timoteo | May 28, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

How would RSL do this?
They trade allocation spots with Toronto and throw Deuchar and/or another player (Kovalenko?) in with the deal.

Posted by: Hincha Tim | May 28, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

hmm - the below link takes you to the allocation list as of 6/6/07, but it also has all of the allocations expiring as of 5/15/08 ?

Posted by: emanon | May 28, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I say trade the entire DC United team (except for Moreno, Naimoff and Martinez) and throw in the whole front office in exchange for McBride. Do you think they'd go for it??? Can you imagine? All we need is some weekend soccer hack to put crosses over the first defender, and Brian would head them home. Ahhhh, dreamy!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 28, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm not too sure that McBride will command DP money. He's been a pro for a long time; Among soccer players in this country, he's one of the rarities that have made plenty of money along the way. I don't think that he's out for another big contract, or else he would've gotten it at Craven Cottage already.

In Chicago, this story has been reported for awhile. The reason he's leaving Fulham is that his wife apparently hates it in engerland, and like McBride, is a native Chicagoan. McBride holds yearly soccer camps in Chicago. His daughters are already in the Chicago Fire youth system. The McBrides have owned a house in Chicagoland for years.

In sum, if McBride wants to continue playing, [and there is every indication that he intends to do so] its Chicago or nothing for him. I don't think that TFC has very much leverage in this situation, if any at all.

If I'm McBride, I have my agent force TFC to accept a middling amount of compensation in trade for my rights. I'm thinking a draft pick, and a senior roster player that is not a major component of the FIRE.

Having said this, I think the situation may change, in that perhaps Columbus could become involved, or McBride could choose to retire, or McBride could choose to play in the Olympics instead of choosing to play in MLS this year. But IMHO, it is more likely that he'll be in Toyota Park at some point this or next season.

Posted by: khan | May 28, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Timoteo | May 28, 2008 6:02 PM
--------------------------------

All of that sounds good, Timoteo.
Except that McBride could've had more money [if he wanted to do so] by staying with Fulham than what a DP slot could offer. And that McBride would have to spurn suburban Chicago for [snicker] Salt Lake City [/snicker].

Posted by: khan | May 28, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they should get rid of Wilman Conde since he's just sitting on the bench and unhappy there anyway. The Fire would likely have to give up something else, too. And, as McBride will be adding another Forward, it would make sense to include one in the deal.

McBride wouldn't be a DP would he? I think he's deserving of the salary, but in a way it would be nice for those slots to be used for foreigners. Just my opinion.

Posted by: Sean | May 28, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

It is really hard to imagine McB giving up the money and West London living for a pure lottery that might involve playing on a plastic field....

The lottery has got to be fixed.

Posted by: JkR | May 28, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

It should be an interesting to see how Garber is going to manage the mathematics of the salary cap where McBride ends up. Both Columbus and Chicago have a DP.

I'd think Brian should be worth a solid paycheck, upwards of $500-750 for a year or two?

What was he making at Fulham?

Posted by: delantero | May 28, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

JkR, that's the point. Mcbride has all the leverage.

By the way, putting an in form mcbride, even with a trip to china in there means we are all playing for second place. The Fire officially become a scary team.

Posted by: northzax | May 28, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUMD | May 28, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

The lottery has got to be fixed.

Posted by: JkR | May 28, 2008 8:09 PM
==========================================

How is a lottery involved? Further, Toyota Park doesn't have a plastic surface, does it? If McBride makes it clear he wants to play in Chicago, then the significance of Toronto (or any other team) having rights is that it gets leverage to extract compensation from the Fire. (BTW, I don't see TFC passing, because it is unlikely that another situation like this, where it can trade its allocation for substantial compensation, will come along.)

Then again, we don't yet have a clear sense of how much the Fire is willing to bid for McBride. We also don't know whether McBride is willing to play for less than DP money, even in his ostensibly preferred location of Chicago. If he demands DP money, the Fire would have to trade for a second DP slot, so that both TFC and a second team would gain something of value.

Posted by: tri-village | May 28, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Come to think of it, if Emilio doesn't get hot, United could unload him and trade the associated DP slot to Chicago. That slot reverts to Colorado in a couple of years, but it is not clear how much longer McBride (who will shortly turn 36) will be playing anyway.

Posted by: tri-village | May 28, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Goff-

Aren't Houston and Dallas playing tonight? I looked in the Post, but the little MLS box in the sports section doesn't mention tonight's game. It mentions tomorrow's DC game, and the weekend games, but no listing for the game that's on my TV right now.

How's about keeping the sports editor off TV until he's sure the product he's supposed to be working on is correct.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | May 28, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

---------

How's about you send him an email instead of whining on here. I'm sure he'd love to hear from ya. As always, sports@washpost.com

Posted by: Goff | May 28, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

"Wow. The new Sounders jersey with the XBOX 360 logo actually looks totally sweet."

Actually my first thought was...look, it's the Tampa Bay Mutiny!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 28, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I did. I did when the Post messed up Saturday reversing the hockey and baseball banner headlines. I did when the Post printed the wrong betting results of the Preakness a couple of Sunday's ago. And I just love the article in the Free For All section that the lady wrote about the (lack) of hockey coverage. When the article on the left said Dallas won a game but the box on the right said the Red Wings won the series 4-0. I complain here because I never hear back from Deborah Howell or the Post sports editor. Maybe if the Talent invested a little more effort in making sure that their hard work doesn't go unrewarded, the Post sports page would be a better place for all.

Or does everyone have one eye on the buyout fairy? Seriously. When you get the little things wrong time and time again, how are we supposed to trust the big things?

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | May 28, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | May 28, 2008 8:47 PM
----------------------

The allocation system is a draw, or, in effect a lottery. Perhaps a bad analogy; point being, the team he wants to play for doesn't have his rights. He must know that will be worked around.

RSL and TFC, the first 2 allocation winners, if I understand correctly, play on plastic. He clearly isn't coming here to follow the whims of the allocation rules.

And perhaps, he shouldn't.

That was my point.

Posted by: JkR | May 28, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Goff, any chance of you taking Fischer to task for his latest article where he is claiming that DCU is asking for the city to pay for the actual stadium (not the infrastructure) and that the stadium would only be used 35 times a year.

Posted by: Fischer sucks | May 28, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

-------------
I'm sorry to hear that, but unless you have an issue with something I have written, neither I nor anyone else reading this blog wants to hear it. Move on.

Posted by: Goff | May 28, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

----------
No. You have email access. Send him a message.

Posted by: Goff | May 28, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Blanco crossing to McBride?

*shudders*

Posted by: DCU-ATL | May 28, 2008 5:52 PM
===============

I second that.

As far as McBride deserving DP money but Chicago only having one DP slot,

WAKE UP PEOPLE!! THIS IS MLS!!! RULES MEAN NOTHING!!!!

Has no-one been paying attention to LA and NY for that last 13 seasons?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 28, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

"What Chicago is giving up to acquire him is unclear."

Their souls to satan?

Posted by: Srdan, La Barra | May 29, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to think that McBride has way too much class to willingly put himself on a team with an a$$clown like Blanco. Brian - I liked you on the Crew and loved you on the Nats & Fulham....going with the Fire is gonna make it tough.

Posted by: the other RK | May 29, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

I bet XBOX money could easily make McBride at home in the Pacific Northwest. They do a reality show where he plays ping pong with bill gates. The Vulcans are going to win the MLS cup their first year out with Henry,McBride,Ching, Keller, who am I missing?

Posted by: Dadryan | May 29, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

McBride is a beast and, even at 35, too good a pro to be in MLS. He deserves better, but oh well, that is his choice.

For the record, aside from GKs, McBride is without doubt the most successful field player the US ever sent overseas (Reyna doesn't count...injured way to much and never made a major difference for his clubs teams, unlike McBeast).

To add to what I-270 said...this league is a mafia and rules do mean nothing. That being said, a betting man would figure Chicago merely trades to acquire a DP slot. MLS allows team not using their DP slot to trade them away. RSL does not have a DP. DC is using a Colorado DP slot. Outside of RSL, who might be able to trade/sell away an unused DP slot?

Posted by: Erick | May 29, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

EEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the news!!!!

Poor Fulham. There goes Fulhamerica.

Posted by: Andrea | May 29, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Fulhamerica still has like 5+ Americans on the roster, with more sure to come.

As others have said, McBride will find a way to Chicago, and likely for less than DP pay.

Perhaps Chicago trades the rights to Cervi, and Conde to Toronto for the rights to McBride. Then DC trades Emilio to Toronto (where he occupies their vacant DP spot) for Conde and the rights to Cervi.\

:-D

Posted by: AlecW81 | May 29, 2008 1:20 AM | Report abuse

"McBride is a beast and, even at 35, too good a pro to be in MLS."

Hmm, maybe you should move to England where the pros are good enough for you.

Posted by: Joe S. | May 29, 2008 4:04 AM | Report abuse

McBride was captain of Fulham and leading scorer last year despite injury.

He was a well established and much appreciated pro, a fantastic spokesman for the American soccer player.

He does deserve DP status and pay.

If he has his family in Chicago then he goes to Chicago. simple in his mind. The league will work out the details.

Blanco feeding McBride means leading scorer in MLS.

Welcome back, lad.

Posted by: RRP | May 29, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Everyone, please head over to Fisher's blog and respond to his pathetic article in today's Post. Apparently $600 million+ is ok for baseball, but $150 million for soccer is a boondoggle.

Posted by: Hoost | May 29, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse

"McBride is a beast and, even at 35, too good a pro to be in MLS."

Hmm, maybe you should move to England where the pros are good enough for you.

------------------

Is that supposed to be rip? Duh, as if there were any doubt...hmmm, would I rather watch the a team named after an energy drink play on a plastic field with football lines or Manchester United? Geez, I wonder. Would I rather watch DC Mini-me striker Niell or Chelsea striker Drogba? If only I could decide. Watch a battle to avoid relegation or see which teams pack it in come September, when they have nothing to play for (other than gate receipts). No, wait, the Chivas-Galaxy derby is infinitely more enthralling than a Liverpool, Manchester, or North London derby. C'mon!

The point is that MLS, even after 12 seasons, is still a bit Mickey Mouse. McBride deserves better than to play on a baseball field before 6,876 fans in Kansas City, or shooting from the 25 yard line (right hash mark) at Salt Lake, or stack up against a $12,700/yr central defender. The guy was a Fulham legend. The most successful U.S. striker ever. He surely deserves better.

Posted by: Erick | May 29, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Thaanks for worrying for me Erick but I am a big enough boy that I can decide where I want to play. I made my mark in England and now am ready to come home for my family. I can play 2-3 more years of MLS and enjoy myself. Look for me in MLS Cup while United is sitting at home.

Posted by: Brian McBride | May 29, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

If Chicago can't sell out Toyota Park with a Blanco - McBride combo then they don't deserve either of them...I'll probably fly out for a couple of games.

The sad thing is the way Blanco is playing the Fire don't even need McBride. Blanco could probably make any one of us a leading scorer in MLS just from his ability to give forwards the easiest imaginable shots on goal.

It would probably make more sense to see him playing for Chivas US, KC, SJ or RSL.

Posted by: Southeasterner | May 29, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I dunno but according to his stats all this praise seems a little over the top. Except for his tenure at the Rampage and Everton, his goals to games ratio ain't all that good..esp with wolfsburg and fulham. Sounds line another overaged foreigner tryin' to score a nice retirement check.

Years Club App (Gls)*
1994 Milwaukee Rampage 18 (17)
1994-1995 VfL Wolfsburg 18 (1)
1996-2004 Columbus Crew 161 (62)
2000 → Preston North End (loan) 9 (1)
2002 → Everton (loan) 8 (4)
2004-2008 Fulham 139 (32)

Posted by: mizage | May 29, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

"Fulhamerica still has like 5+ Americans on the roster, with more sure to come."

McBride: Gone
Bocanegra: dismissed
Keller: ?? with the Aussie, Fulham has 2 'keepers over 35
Dempsey: probably staying
Johnson: probably staying

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 29, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

mizage:

You can't sum up McBride's contribution to a team with his games-to-goals ratio. What McBride offers is great movement off the ball, aggression, fearlessness, an incredibly high work rate for a striker, and his size/strength. Defending him is a nightmare. He'd be a perfect fit in Chicago, provided they keep Rolfe, Blanco, and Mapp all playing underneath him. His ability to hold the ball up and bring others into the attack will take an already good Chicago team to the next level on offense. I'm still waiting for their defense to stop playing several levels above what they are reasonably capable of, but replacing Barrett with McBride (and keeping the other players) will make them the best attack in MLS.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | May 29, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Wow, the league circumventing rules, inventing ways to sneak unsigned Player Y under one team's salary cap, while forcing other teams legitimately entitled to Player Y under existing rules to facilitate a player's demands on where he wants to play. Why does this sound familiar? If I were Lider Marmol, I'd be calling my lawyers.

Posted by: Aguinaga | May 29, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

@ Chest,

Don't forget about McBride's qualities as a leader. Hodgson made a point to mention how well-respected McBride was in the Fulham locker room as captain, and what a boost it was psychologically for the team to get him back from injury. I can think of at least MLS team that sorely needs that kind of veteran leadership...

Posted by: Kenobi | May 29, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

who has the rights after tfc and rsl?

i dont see toronto picking him up, i do see RSL, but will they spend the money?
so whose next on the order?

Posted by: captain | May 29, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

who has the rights after tfc and rsl?

i dont see toronto picking him up, i do see RSL, but will they spend the money?
so whose next on the order?

Posted by: captain | May 29, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

who has the rights after tfc and rsl?

i dont see toronto picking him up, i do see RSL, but will they spend the money?
so whose next on the order?

Posted by: captain | May 29, 2008 12:46 PM

=======================

Whether RSL or TFC or any other team makes a claim for McBride, from all indications, it won't matter. McBride is [apparently] going to the FIRE, or he'll call it a career.

Granted, this can change, but he left Fulham to come home. Not to play [READ: live in] Salt Lake City, Toronto, Columbus, DC, Kansas City, Dallas, or Houston. Since suburban Chicago is his home, it would appear that his want is to live/play at home.

Posted by: khan | May 29, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

It is going to be so awesome to read/hear/see you all whine and complain when the Galaxy trade Canadian Ante Jazic and the #3 allocation spot to Toronto for the #1 allocation spot, and take Brian McBride.

Why will Toronto make that deal? Essentially, they'd be moving from #1 in the allocation order to #2 (once McBride is taken, RSL's moves up to #1, Galaxy's #3 spot becomes #2), and they pick up a Canadian International along the way. Ante Jazic for letting RSL cut in line? - Yeah, okay.

Of course, LAG will trade Macca to Chicago for a starting center half (bring on Soumare), but those few hours when McBride is a Galaxy player is going to incent some fantastic whining.

Posted by: John | May 29, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

John: There won't be any few hours when McBride is a Galaxy player. The scenario you sketch out is very plausible, but it has to be a three-way deal in which McBride goes straight to Chicago. If it were a two-stage deal, there would be no guarantee that the second-stage negotiations between the Galaxy and Fire would result in a mutually agreeable result. If the second stage falls through, then the first stage, by itself, would result in the Galaxy having acquired the rights to someone who doesn't want to play for them.

Posted by: tri-village | May 29, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: John | May 29, 2008 8:18 PM

=============================

John, that's not a bad thought in terms of how a trade might work:

TFC has no more US nor any more international slots to use, and are still looking for a DP to ignite their dedicated fan base. Additionally, they could use a solid defender like Jazic, he of the Canucks' national side.

The Gals, like all teams in MLS, are looking for any deal that can incrementally improve their team at a nominal cost.

The FIRE would like to have McBride on their roster. Again, I wrote, "Would LIKE to have" Mcbride, not, "The Fire WANT to have McBride."

Where I'd disagree with this idea is from the FIRE's standpoint, it'd be nice to have McBride playing in his hometown. But the team is already playing well without him. Were it Guppy running the team, I'd have no doubt that he'd make a foolish move to acquire McBride while gutting the roster. But since Frank Klopas appears to have at least a 3-digit IQ, I DON'T think he'll break this team down just to add McBride. Additionally, there is a glut of forwards in the roster: Barrett, Rolfe, Frankowski, Herron, Carr, and
Nyarko.

So for it to make sense for Chicago, they'd have to offload a forward somewhere.

Also, while Soumare-to-LA would be nice for LA, his GenAdd contract subtracts nothing from Chicago's salary cap to be able to accomodate McBride's salary. [Macca would probably come in somewhere around the league max, but not as a DP.] So for the FIRE to fit McBride under the cap, they'd have to lose ~$100K or so from their current salary cap.

For LA, trading away Jazic weakens the weakest part of their roster. Additionally, there is no evidence [to my knowledge, anyway] that Jazic has any interest in moving up north. Also, is Soumare worth an Allocation to LA? I'm not so sure, even as promising as he's been hereto fore for Chicago.

For TFC, this deal works just as you've stated. But I just don't think that it works for LA or for Chicago. But it isn't a bad thought, IMHO.

Posted by: khan | May 30, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

John/Kahn - Jazic to Toronto doesn't make sense for moving out of the #1 allocation spot. While Toronto does need Cdn's, Jazic doesn't really make much sense. He would be a back up and the guy he would be backing up (Brennan) is also a Cdn int'l so would provide no cover for int'l duty. TFC would still have to keep Dunivant for cover for WCQ games. You basically add $150k for Cdn player who would sit on the bench and would only play in case of injury (Brennan is an iron-man).

Posted by: MLS Fan | May 30, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: mumbly joe | May 28, 2008 5:07 PM

McBride has made it clear for years that he wants to play for Chicago or noone. It's basically Chicago or retire. With that in mind, how could they possibly be roped into giving up too much? Basically Toronto has an allocation that is worth next to nothing. If they were smart they would pass and hope someone else comes along. IF they pick McBride he retires and they are out of an allocation.
Mark my words, they will be getting very little for this unless a big 3 way deal is made with someone else (Galaxy in the Conde market I'm sure)

OH and THANK YOU to whoever mentioned the DP thing. I am SICK of people immediately saying that he will require DP money, well, that would be true if he WASN'T going through the allocation process. Unless you mean to tell me that Beckham cleared all allocation places to make it to LA.

Posted by: papa bear | June 1, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse