Morning Briefing

*An Insider contact with strong European ties tells me that one German club recently inquired with MLS about Jozy Altidore's transfer availability. The response: Give us $7 million. That club passed, but would others in Europe be willing to fork over serious cash for a young American?

*England Coach Fabio Capello has unveiled his 30-man preliminary roster for upcoming friendlies against the United States and Trinidad and Tobago, and David Beckham is on it. As for the USA roster, as we told you a few weeks ago, Bob Bradley plans to have a base of European-based players for all three friendlies (England, Spain, Argentina) and will shuttle MLS players in and out as needed. Capello's England roster:

GKs: Joe Hart (Manchester City), David James (Portsmouth), Chris Kirkland (Wigan). Ds: Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), David Wheater (Middlesbrough), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), John Terry (Chelsea), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Stephen Warnock (Blackburn). MFs: Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), David Beckham (Los Angeles), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham), Owen Hargreaves (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), David Bentley (Blackburn), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough). Fs: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Michael Owen (Newcastle United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Peter Crouch (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Portsmouth), Dean Ashton (West Ham).

*The exchange between The Commish Don Garber and Post columnist/TV personality Michael Wilbon continues. To quickly recap, Wilbon trashed MLS for allowing streamers to be thrown at players preparing to take corner kicks in Toronto. Garber responded on his blog by saying that it's part of the soccer culture and provides an interactive fan experience. During a Q&A chat yesterday, Wilbon responded:

"I've talked with Don Garber over the years [Goff comment: Really? When?] and he's very, very good for MLS, period. And he knows soccer a trillion times more than I ever well [Goff comment: Don't be so sure, Mike. Garber is a good commish, but no soccer genius] and what kind of entertainment experience he wants his league to have. Having said that, ANYTHING that interferes with the actual competition is bad. It's just awful [Goff comment: Awful? Streamers? Really?]. DON'T UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES screw around with the competition. That's not to be interactive, it's not to be influenced by anything and anybody that's not in a uniform or striped jersey on the field. Nothing and nobody is going to change my opinion on that. Ever."

*Ticket sales for USA-Argentina on June 8 at Giants Stadium have surpassed 44,000.

*Coming to Houston on July 5: Free Kick Masters.

*Catch me on Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live" today around 5:15 p.m. (The show airs from 5 to 6 and repeats at 11.)

*Mark your day planner: Let's chat live online on washingtonpost.com tomorrow at 1 p.m. Link to submit questions will be provided later today or tomorrow morning.

Back later with DCU updates from RFK.....

By Steve Goff  |  May 13, 2008; 7:42 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Afternoon Briefing
Next: Quick DCU Update

Comments

Garber knows very little about soccer except what his little north jersey minions tell him.

He's a marketing guy - all he knows how to do is spin things. His integrity is questionable too based off of insider dealings with Philadelphia.
Mark Abbott is the brains behind the MLS.

Posted by: Abbott knows soccer | May 13, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Continuing the Carroll vs Simms debate from the previous thread -
Agreed that Carroll plays better in a 3-5-2 and Simms is better in a 4-4-2. So how come we let Carroll go and then switch back to a 3-5-2??

Posted by: ff | May 13, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I have to unfortunatley agree with Wilbon on this one.If it was a cuple of people that security missed and couldn't get to, then so be it. but when it interferes with the flow of the game, and it does, then it absolutely wrong. it was cute at first , now it just downright annoying. MLS doesn't have the cahones to scold our precious drunken fanbase.

Posted by: Dave B, IN. | May 13, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I love the streamers. If you can't handle a few pieces of toilet paper, play something else.

Posted by: Umm no! | May 13, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon is right on this one. How is chucking streamers at a player taking a corner any different than throwing them at a player taking a free kick or a goalkeeper trying to make a save? Sure, they throw streamers in South America, but before the match and after goals are scored. What's going on in Toronto is just wrong and it ticks me off that Garber is so nonchalant about it.

Posted by: Matt | May 13, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

streamers? did wilbon happen to notice that the free kick reyna took was basically perfect? the streamers don't do anything to impact the game and he needs to get a clue. if they hold up the game for 10 or 15 seconds who cares. it's a hell of a lot better than the 2.5 hours of commercials that intercede a 60min NFL game.

Posted by: noble | May 13, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Abbott is a former lawyer who created the single entity structure. Ivan Gazidis is actually the brains behind the soccer decisions. He is a former player and is the only MLS senior executive who understands the game. He is a great guy and well liked.

Posted by: Bill | May 13, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Wilbon - I think the confetti strewn on so many MLS fields after goals is particularly awful.

If Altidore or Beckham stepped on something and slipped, hell would hath no fury like the uproar in the MSM, let alone by the fans of the team whose player was injured. And can you imagine if it were a home game, having been the home fan to have thrown the streamer?

I'm not saying this as one of those DC types who cares a little too much about rules, but there seems so little net benefit to this. Just keep it off the field is all.

Posted by: KLB | May 13, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

*Mark your day planner:..."

That would be "FranklinCovey event planning tool," thank-you-very-much.

I can see Wilbon's point, but the streamers don't bother me. My concern, I guess, is some nitwit saying, "hey, I'm out of streamers, but this cup of beer is warm, so..." and off it goes toward Brian Namoff's head.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 13, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

As long as MLS/Garber is doing something that upsets Wilbon (and/or guys like him) enough for him to complain about it, then I'd say MLS/Garber are doing an ok job.

Posted by: Yeah | May 13, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Hey I guess, I was the person who asked Wilbon the question yesterday. I still don't understand his logic, but respect his opinion. I like the streamer's as it adds some character to a sport seperates it from all others. I was very curious to see what Wilbon's reaction would be to Don Garber's blog comment. Very interesting.

Posted by: DC United Fan | May 13, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I agree that coating the field/corner with streamers to stop a guy from taking a corner is silly. It slows down the game. You never get that time added back. What's the point other than to let some drunk yahoos feel like they are "part of the game"?

Having said that, Wilbon's stance that no one outside of the players and officials should "influence the outcome" seems to be needlessly dogmatic. Does he think that everyone should merely sit quietly and watch the action unfold? Does he also complain about loud crowds who make it impossible for the QB to get a play started because no one on his team can hear him? Or is that acceptable behavior? Should the home crowd not get behind its team and help drive it on? The "12th man" stuff isn't just marketing.

Unfortunately having the TV guys get all jazzed up about Toronto and their streamers has released a plague of copycats in every other stadium.

Posted by: Glenn | May 13, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I meant to say "Hey guys" instead of "Hey guess." My mind is not with it yet this morning.

Posted by: DC United Fan | May 13, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Have you seen the party bus that Screaming Eagles are taking up to Giants Stadium for the USA-Argentina match? It has neon lights, a disco ball, a full bar, and wait for it....yes.....a stripper pole.

God Bless America

Posted by: Oh Susanna | May 13, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

The more rubbish that is on the soccer field, the better the game that is being played.

Like long balloons being waved behind the hoop at NBA arenas during free throws, I don't think the streamers (even those that reach the field) are having much of an impact on the "play" of the MLS matches.

Separately, MLS should really be asking for transfer payments in a currency more valuable than the US dollar.

Posted by: Hey | May 13, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

MLS is nuts demanding 7mil for Altidore. How can they demand that much for a player on a team with a cap of 2.5? Streamers make the league look more like a circus but if it's what the fans of those teams want to do then so be it. Learn some songs and chants and you won't need the streamers.

Posted by: peridigm | May 13, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

------
------

Yes it is silly (and not really needed), but who cares?

Actually, they have "stoppage/added time" that is designed to "get that time added back" at the end of each half.

Posted by: More | May 13, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

------
------

Transfer fees have nothing to do with salary.

MLS should (and likely will) be getting that kind of transfer fee for a player like Altidore.

Posted by: cash | May 13, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

As a former ref, I absolutely agree with Wilbon...

As a fan, not so much. It's fun.

So just call me conflicted about this one.

Fortunately (or maybe not..), most corner kicks in MLS are executed poorly anyway, so I'm not sure the streamers are interfering with anything.

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 13, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

When someone says "No one or nothing can ever change my opinion" about matters like this is no different than saying "I am old, possibly senile, and set in my ways." It is also the adult version of pressing your hands over your ears.

Loud crowd noise affects sports competition a lot more than a few streamers do. Ever see an american football game where the home fans scream so loud the opposing quarterback can't make his signals heard? I have never heard the Wilbon the Pious complain about that.

Posted by: Ron | May 13, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I don't have a problem with Wilbon criticizing MLS, but the man went on TV and called it bush-league. While the streamers may be an annoyance to the players, I doubt that they have a direct effect on the final outcome - such as the fans can have in baseball by simply reaching out and grabbing a ball, yet I didn't hear Wilbon call MLB bush-league.

Posted by: OR | May 13, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Fans throwing streamers/confetti should not be an issue of concern. When the objects being thrown are dangerous or harmful to those on the field, then MLS should step in and regulate.

Remember when the Toronto fans threw all those round free-be seat cushions after a goal? That was awesome.

Posted by: I like soccer | May 13, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

For once I'm with Wilbon on this. The streamers and confetti add nothing to the "atmosphere". The streamer phenomenon only serves to add "terrace cred" to the supporters groups. The streamers get noticed on TV and supporters groups can go on big soccer and pat themselves on the back on how awesome they were.

That said, the spontaneous seat cushion fling when TFC scored their first goal was one of my favorite MLS moments.

Posted by: Tommie | May 13, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Now it's up to Garber to keep this "fued" going. This falls into the "any publicity is good publicity" category.

Posted by: Jeff M | May 13, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

As for game disruptions, I'm sure the higher-ups would rather there be streamers than streakers.

Posted by: Jeff | May 13, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Someone should go TP Wilbon's house.

Garber's too; for good measure.

Goff, you're next.

Posted by: I'm just saying | May 13, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Someone should go TP Wilbon's house.
Posted by: I'm just saying | May 13, 2008 9:20 AM
===============

Use baby wipes instead. He's a new dad.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 13, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC United Fan | May 13, 2008 8:57 AM
-------------------

Did you also mean to say "streamers" instead of "streamer's"...or were you referring to something the streamer owns?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Re Wilbon -- I think it's a good discussion to be having; it draws attention to enthusiastic fans in a full stadium. Glad they're not bickering about poor attendance in Columbus.

Posted by: gringo | May 13, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

With the declining value of the dollar, that's only about 4.5 m euros. I can think of a couple of German clubs that have that laying about -- and several that don't. Could it be Hertha again?

Posted by: Juliet | May 13, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

For a sportswriter, Wilbon shows a startling lack of knowledge...

Hmmm, crazy soccer fans interfere with the game. Ooooo, that should never, ever, ever happen. NEVER INTERFERE WITH THE GAME ON THE FIELD! Especially like:

1) baseball fans cursing out outfielders and their mother
2) baseball fans pouring beer on outfielders attempting to make a catch
3) baseball fans storming the field and taking a swing at first base coaches
4) hockey fans throwing squid/octopi on the field
5) hockey fans cursing players on the bench
6) basketball players waving signs/foam fingers/middle fingers behind the backboard during foul shots to distract the shooter
7) sideline basketball fans yelling at coach and players
8) football fans tossing beer at player in the endzone
9) football fans & booster bands(on their own and responding to their teams' call-out) increasing their noise in order to drown out the play calling / audible of the opposing quarterback

Hmmm. According to Wilbon's logic then, the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL are all bush leagues.

Hmmm, on further reflection, let me refine my point: WILBON IS AN IDIOT!

Posted by: Erick | May 13, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Yes it is silly (and not really needed), but who cares?

Posted by: More | May 13, 2008 9:04 AM
--------------------
Right, that's my point. Even though the referee is supposed to add time for stoppages you never get the amount that is really lost to stoppages added back. And for sure you aren't going to get that 30 or 40 seconds or more added that it takes for the guy to pick up all the trash and move it out of the way.

Posted by: Glenn | May 13, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

@OR

Usually a person interfering at a baseball game (by reaching onto the field to get a ball while it is in play) is escorted out of the stadium and depending on their sobriety sometimes arrested.

I'm mostly with Wilbon here, not so much because of the streamers, although I think they're lame, more because of what is next? Are we going to be like el Salvador or Mexico where beer, batteries and piss are heaved at the field of play?

You may say, "but that's different than streamers" but to me it is a slippery slope to the bottom when you condone things being thrown onto the field.

I doubt it would happend in T.O. (maybe at NJ or Chivas) but there is nothing to stop someone from tossing a AAA battery amongst the 100+ streamers since it wouldn't be easily noticed until someone gets whacked in the head.

Posted by: Matthai | May 13, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

The streamers can get pretty ridiculous:

Posted by: Paul | May 13, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

"If MLS were to actually address an issue that is needless and slows down the game and interferes with the competition, they should likely look at simulation and feigned/exaggerated injuries by players."

Amen, brother.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 13, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I think the streamers make the league look cheap. I mean, it looks like some seven year old girl's birthday party out there during corners. Where is the pinata?

It is pretty annoying to hear tv people getting so hyped about the streamers, but that's just a symptom of the big, chuckling dumbness of us tv soccer coverage. That may be a snob remark, but I had to put up with Rob Stone all of last season, so I think I'm justified.

That said, I think the streamer issue isn't exactly the biggest problem facing mls. If there were something I would fix about toronto, it wouldn't be the streamers, it would be that terrible artificial surface.

Posted by: stairs | May 13, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Physically interfering with the ball, field, or players is entirely different than yelling and chanting, and should never be tolerated. Ask the players and coaches in Spain that have been hit by batteries and bottles, just in the last year.

Posted by: RK | May 13, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Agree with Wilbon. Streamers are lame and stupid. La Norte throwing donuts at Tony Meola - that's genius.

Posted by: Sharp | May 13, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sharp | May 13, 2008 9:49 AM

Tony picking them up and eating them. That's Classic.

Posted by: Matthai | May 13, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Any nominees for people to serve in the wall for the Free Kick Masters competition?

I'll start: Mayor Fenty.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 13, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Piss Bags wilbon...what about the Piss Bags

Posted by: Tweaked | May 13, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"The response: Give us $7 million. That club passed, but would others in Europe be willing to fork over serious cash for a young American?"

$7 mil is serious cash in the Bundesliga, but not in England.

And if Wilbon is outraged by streamers, I hope he didn't see the Birmingham City fans on the pitch Sunday - screaming at the board and terrifying their children.

Posted by: Kev | May 13, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Streamers: Can we remember that this is a game and should be fun. Streamers don't hurt anyone- if the fans wanna throw them let them throw them.

Posted by: laur | May 13, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Are the streamers re-used after the game? Or do the fans buy carbon credits to offset the co2 emissions? Otherwise I find the practice, from a resource perspective, unsustainable. Maybe they could all blow bubbles. It would be as pretty.

Posted by: mizage | May 13, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

why is it an either/or issue with the streamers? yes, sometimes the streamers look cool, and don't interfere with the play (like when they're thrown over the goal after a goal is scored).

but when an opposing player is trying to to take a corner kick (take a look at that youtube video of blanco in toronto linked above) and it cleary is an interference with play, then that needs to be stopped. yellow card to the coach or something.

Posted by: pat | May 13, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Streamers?! We're talking about STREAMERS?!

Posted by: Allen Iverson | May 13, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

-----
-----

Yes, it is a slippery slope.

As is the issue of "fan control" and encouraging and "enjoyable experience" and "supporting/allowing passion amongst the fans".

Drawing the line at "streamers are acceptable" (even if they land on the field of play or temporarily distract a corner-kick taker) seems like a reasonable and safe line for MLS/Graber to have in place. When other things do start to be thrown (yes, MLS and its clubs should step in to "protect the safety" of those on the field. but streamers are an "annoyance" and not a "safety issue", and imo, should not be regulated/prohibited.

If it gets Wilbon's goat, and he's got a problem with it, he's free (and paid) to share his views on the topic. I don't think it's gonna change anything.

Posted by: ticker-tape | May 13, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Those streamers would be eco-friendly if Toronto had real grass -- they would just be used as colorful fertilizer.

Posted by: RK | May 13, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

$7 million is not a lot for the Bundesliga. $7 million is a lot for Altidore. Why pay that much for basically an unproven commodity. He should probably go to a 2nd tier league (dutch, belgian, portugese etc) first and see if he can bang 'em in on a regular basis. Then a $7 million transfer fee could make sense. In a league where the premium money is spent in the attacking end of the park, it is hard to know the true value of a successfull MLS forward. Muppet defenses are too common in the MLS.

Posted by: mizage | May 13, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

----
Streamers?! We're talking about STREAMERS?!
----

ESPN (often) and the Washington Post (sometimes) really do get to the important issues of MLS.

Posted by: media | May 13, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I think the coordinated throwing of so many streamers does look silly. A few here and there are fun, but it just looks juvenile. "Hey, I threw something at that guy cause he's on the other team. Aren't I an awesome fan!"

As far as people bashing Garber because all he does is "spin," that ludicrisp, as Mike Tyson would say. Without his connections, the league would never have gotten this far in broadcasting, sponsorship, ownership groups, etc. It's a team effort - Don, Mark, Ivan, Durbin and many others each brings something to the table.

Posted by: Brian | May 13, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

We're a long way from that here, but let's not forget the troubling side.

Posted by: Kev | May 13, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon is a huge hypocrite. Other sports have messed with the "competition" for years. Where's his outrage? Other sports bend the rules for entertainment purposes. Case in point: when was the last traveling call in the NBA and how many steps did they take to get it?

Posted by: MAR | May 13, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"In a league where the premium money is spent in the attacking end of the park, it is hard to know the true value of a successfull MLS forward. Muppet defenses are too common in the MLS."

(cough)McBride(cough)

Posted by: kl | May 13, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

What does Wilbon think of people in the crowd at an NBA game banging those thunder sticks behind the basket? That is to interfere with the players line of site and distract them so they miss the foul shot. Sounds similar to streamers and barring a streamer to the eye, the danger is about the same.

He's just prejudice against soccer... then he caters his reasoning around that.

Posted by: argi4 | May 13, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Streamers?! We're talking about STREAMERS?!

No, you misread. We're talking about STEAMERS.

Posted by: Matte | May 13, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

''I love Garber, but I think his stance is a little silly. And for those who want that "interactive" and "South American" atmosphere. Let's not ignore the fact that, especially in Argentina, that comes with massive barriers and nets separating the supporters. And the visiting teams usually have to run out in a 30 yard long plastic bubble protecting them from missiles.

We're a long way from that here, but let's not forget the troubling side.''

Are you Brimson in disguise!?
Are you Brimson in diguise?!

Are you bright or are your Bimson?
Are your Brimson in disguise!!!!

Posted by: BS | May 13, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon is right.

Posted by: DuPont Mike | May 13, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"Re Jozy -- MLS didn't demand that much for Freddy, did they? Wasn't it $4m or something? Maybe the difference is just inflation, or the weak dollar as Hey alludes to."

More goals in a third as many minutes, five more inches in height, and forty pounds, plus much more strength and maturity at a younger age.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 13, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Pardon The Interruption.

Such a perfect name for a program on which to share views like "ANYTHING that interferes with the actual competition is bad."

Interrupting sports and drawing attention to themselves is ESPN's job, not the job of Toronto FC fans.

Wilbon is upset that the TFC streamer-throwers are encroaching on his territory. But obviously, he is conflicted, so he must remain strong in his stance. If the streamer-throwers didn't exist, what what Wilbon and his cohorts have to talk about, in terms of MLS?

Posted by: PTI | May 13, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

And if we'd like the league to grow, seeing paper, streamers, etc on the field simply does look poor and bush-league. I flipped on the Boca game, and my wife couldn't believe that the players had to wade through TP to dribble the ball. It detracts from the game.

Posted by: RK | May 13, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

first of all i thinks you all are a bunch of old farts that cant see fun even if it hit you .... what is the problem with streamers ? this is soccer not golf and if you dont like the soccer envoirement then dont go to the damn stadium or watch the damn game. When you see bricks thrown at players then start worriyng .... streamers are just fuc..ing pieces of paper its not hurting anyone .... "oh but it makes the league look cheap" SHUT UP ?cheap? come on as i said this is SOCCER remember that !!!!

Posted by: hey dum@sses | May 13, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I think the streamers are pretty funny. But, really, it's only a matter of time before streamers turn into bottles or pennies or whatever else. Security at every park needs to keep a close eye on it, but as long as it's just streamers, then it's just fun.

Posted by: hacksaw | May 13, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

If you encourage fans to throw streamers, there will be no toilet paper in the stadium restrooms.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 13, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I just heard over the weekend that a close friend of mine was interviewing to be Don Garber's personal assistant (she's currently the assistant of one of the MSG execs.) She was one of three finalists but dropped out of the running b/c the job would have required a lot of weekend work.

Posted by: Pete | May 13, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

(cough)McBride(cough)

>>>

fair enough but has he ever scored more than 10 goals in season for fulham? i doubt he would have ever fetched $7 mil. too many american players (ex goalies)just don't do as well as expected in the top leagues. the best american mls player was a complete failure in the bundesliga. $2 mil seems a fair price for a talented but unproven commodity.

Posted by: mizage | May 13, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

RE: Altidore

This is the problem with MLS, they overvalue their players too much. $7 million?? For a guy that has not proven himself in Europe. Lets compare that to Roque Santa-Cruz who went to Blackburn for $6 million from Munich and scored 19 goals in his first season at Premier League, is Altidore really worth $1 million more than him.

RE: Streamers

I don't have a problem with streamers or confetti, it brings a party atmosphere to the game. I do have a problem when it disrupts the game so much that it stops the flow of the game. As others have posted already, do it before and after the game or after a goal is scored.

Posted by: Red Devil | May 13, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

He's just prejudice against soccer... then he caters his reasoning around that.

Posted by: argi4 | May 13, 2008 10:44 AM
-----------------------------------------

bingo.

Posted by: Ron | May 13, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

The Don has some shortcomings and has more of a background in marketing and business than in soccer - but lay off the guy.

When he came in, he threw in some new ideas that weren't great and brought in some that were (goodbye shootout - hello traditional rules focus).

When he came in, the league that preceded him was headed for the wastebasket faster than I think a lot of MLS fans care to admit. After the 1998 season and US World Cup DISASTER, you see teams get sold, you see the players lawsuit, and you see Anschutz, Kraft, and Hunt come to own the whole league.

You see the downturn in the internet economy and the axing of two franchises and I'm sure there was a written obituary for the league that was ready to run in the papers before the 2002 season.

While Don can't be thanked for the 2002 World Cup that lead American soccer back into people's conciousness - he did manage to get the three well-pocketed patriarchs of MLS to keep it going and to keep investing with Crew Stadium and the HDC. They kept the league up for players to continue their development and kept losing money, hand-over-fist to do so.

Since 1999, for all of Don's missteps, marketing speak, and spin messages - the league has 14 teams and will get to 16. The league has 6 stadiums in the ground for 7 teams - it has two going up in Salt Lake and Harrison, NJ - and likely has 4 more and Philadelphia. In 2011/2012 MLS will have all but the Revs and Sounders in their own parks (and their owners own the stadiums).

You will have seen the net addition of 4 teams and you've seen 3 owners go to 15. You've seen rights fees and marketing revenues increase - and you've seen the league attain some level of relevancy and some manner of "how far can it go?" be asked rather than "How long will it be around?"

So - call him bush league for not being a soccer guy or dislike him because he's a marketing head - but the "soccer guys" that started MLS are long gone and the league almost went with them!

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 13, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

---------
---------

Or, depending how you look at it, it makes the league look like it has passionate fans who are having a good time at the games.

---------
---------

Well, if you wife agrees with Wilbon, I can see why this is a problem.

But since Garber agrees with the TFC fans, I guess Wilbon will be able to continue to complain about his.

I can't believe that some people feel that streamers on the field actually "detracts from the game."

Posted by: Hey | May 13, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Ummm Pete, was your friend aware that most MLS matches are played on weekends?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 13, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Glenn | May 13, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I-270,

She admittedly knows very little about the MLS or soccer in general. I did explain to her about the weekend games.

Posted by: Pete | May 13, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon is not prejudiced against soccer.

I agree that the publicity is good.

Posted by: BB | May 13, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hacksaw | May 13, 2008 10:54 AM

-------------------------------------------

Hey mister, don't mess with domino theory!

Posted by: George Kennan | May 13, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

For a sportswriter, Wilbon shows a startling lack of knowledge...

1) baseball fans cursing out outfielders and their mother
2) baseball fans pouring beer on outfielders attempting to make a catch
3) baseball fans storming the field and taking a swing at first base coaches
4) hockey fans throwing squid/octopi on the field
5) hockey fans cursing players on the bench
7) sideline basketball fans yelling at coach and players
8) football fans tossing beer at player in the endzone

Hmmm, on further reflection, let me refine my point: WILBON IS AN IDIOT!

Posted by: Erick | May 13, 2008 9:31 AM

-------------------------------------------
Making noise and throwing objects are two completely different things. In any of your examples where a fan trows something on a player, if they identify the fan he is thrown out. My only concern is if a roll of streamers doesn't unroll when thrown onto the field a player could get injured. It doesn't take much for a player to roll his ankle or twist a knee (home or away players) and yes an unrolled streamer could cause this. I know some people think it's soft paper, but if a player steps on it the wrong way.......?

Posted by: Doogie Howser | May 13, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

As far as streamers, I don't think they're bad. I lived in Rome for a spell and attended games in Stadio Olimpico. It was the craziest yet must enjoyable sporting atmosphere I've ever been to. There was so much smoke from FLARES being thrown that you could hardly see the pitch for the first 5-10 minutes of the match. Loved it!

Posted by: Emilio_Must_Go | May 13, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"Let's not ignore the fact that, especially in Argentina, that comes with massive barriers and nets separating the supporters. And the visiting teams usually have to run out in a 30 yard long plastic bubble protecting them from missiles.

We're a long way from that here, but let's not forget the troubling side. "
----------------

Yeah, if anyone saw the Boca-River game at the Bombonera a week and a half ago on FSC, the River coach needed a riot-gear-clad policeman with a shield to escort him to his team's bench. Let's hope US soccer never gets to that point.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 13, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Streamers are paper and confetti. It is not hurting anyone nor does it interfere with the play. Distracting the opponent is part of Home-field advantage. What about the 12th man in Seattle, Are you going to ask them to now cheer so loud? Isn't it the same thing as handing out noise makers and balloons before a basketball game for those who sit behind the basket? Some NFL teams even pump their own crowd noise through the P.A. system yet no one really cares.

Posted by: dcchilidog | May 13, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Emilio_Must_Go | May 13, 2008 11:18 AM

True, but curiously, the English team fared better when some of their players went abroad - especially to Italy. It's the sign of a strong league, but not necessarily a strong national side.

Posted by: Kev | May 13, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

DCchilidog, asked and answered. There's a large difference between cheering and physical interference.

Posted by: RK | May 13, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

RE: Altidore

------------------
Comparing Roque Santa Cruz with Jozy Altidore is... well, no comparison. To start with, Altidore is younger, and has more upside. Secondly, when Blackburn Rovers bought Santa Cruz, he had come off several injury-ridden years with Bayern. Neither Bayern nor Rovers had any way of knowing he'd be good for 19 goals, or he'd have garnered a much, much higher fee. Lastly, given the decline of the value of a dollar in comparison to the pound in the last year, USD6M in last year's money may in fact be USD7M now! In summary, Altidore's worth it.

Regarding Wilbon and streamer, what a conveniently short memory some people have. It seems like only a few short years ago when the Redskins were still playing at RFK, when seat cushions filled the air after a touchdown. Look, nobody's throwing coins, bottles, urine bags... let this one go.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | May 13, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

The only things that DC fans toss are our cookies.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 13, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

"The streamers may have been fun the first time. But now they are just a cliche. They are boring and passe. Time for something new."

Road flares.

Posted by: Good | May 13, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"On a separate topic, I am extremely jealous when I see the English roster and see that 29/30 players on the National team come from their domestic league. I hope that I live long enough where our own senior roster looks that way."

Are you Brazilian or Argentinian?

Posted by: Santos | May 13, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Striped jersey, eh?

Does he mean Celtic or Inter Milan?

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 13, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"Seems like this is just another debate between the soccer purists/traditionalists and the other soccer fans."

Hey RJ..
Which side is anti-streamers?

Posted by: Stream of Conciousness | May 13, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Hey RJ..
Which side is anti-streamers?

I was wondering the same thing...

Posted by: laur | May 13, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

batteries are expensive.

Posted by: jsf | May 13, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I gotta say that it is silly to think that soccer in the States would ever get to the level of thuggery that happens in a game like the Boca/River match. The Commish is fine with streamers, but you better believe that if it gets out of hand they will come crashing down on TFC's fans to keep the players and coaches safe. As long as it is just streamers, then it really is just a nuisance. When batteries or anything dangerous starts being thrown, then TFC will lose its streamers privileges. So be good TFC. Keep it simple and safe.

Posted by: elopingcamel | May 13, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Striped jersey, eh?

Does he mean Celtic?

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 13, 2008 11:55 AM

Hooped shirt

Posted by: A. Pedant | May 13, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

It's being held at a restaurant, of all places, so I'm assuming anyone could attend. I will not. (If this had any news value, it would've been held at RFK during the day.)

Posted by: Goff | May 13, 2008 7:31 AM
____________________________________________

Haha True. They are basically holding it at the "Bolivian" press conference spot where most bolivian happenings...."happen". Thats why.

I doubt they would do it at the RFK cause truthfully no one would really give a damn beyond the bolivian community. If anything i think this is bigger right now for Bolivar than it is for DC.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | May 13, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

CNN-Espanol reported Sven is going to manage Mexican Nats. Any further info?

Posted by: nico | May 13, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

$7 million (3.5 million pounds) is not that much for an 18 year old with a lot of upside, who has played meaningful professional minutes and has performed well internationally at the U-20 and senior level. Take out his nationality and the league involved and I don't think anyone would blink at valuation.

And the major reason Adu went for so little was due to the fact that his contract was expiring at the end of the season, hence MLS was willing to drop its valuation...

Posted by: Chase | May 13, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Univision.com is reporting the same thing about Sven...

Posted by: dcchilidog | May 13, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Streamers reallly is Wilbon running out of things to blabber on about. Geez go back and bash our sport, he does a better job. I boycotted espn ages ago all those shows are like the news talk shows on FOX CNN etc.. rubbish.

Posted by: Hank | May 13, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

--------
Univision.com is reporting the same thing about Sven...
--------

Only because they're using CNN-Espanol as a source.

Although, I'm sure someone can get this verified from another source.

Posted by: sveninho | May 13, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Let the streamers be, they're not hurting anyone (well except Wilbon, which is a good thing).

Wilbon is taking a slanted go at soccer, because there are other distractions in other sports too - some of which have been listed by many here so I'm not going to go into that. That whole "making noise is not as bad as throwing a streamer" argument sounds silly to me, because they are both intended to distract the opponent and their game plan. Oh and ask Ron Artest and many other NFL/NBA/MBL players to choose which poison they would prefer - streamers or some drunken yahooo having a profanity laced go at your Mom, wife and /or sister(s). I would rather have streamers than battery laced snowballs - hmmm, where did that happen?

As for lost time - don't kid yourself, you are never going to get decent added on time in a soccer match (well not unless you are Liverpool). It's all an estimate anyways. Plus I think players faking injuries eats up more time and slows the game down more than a few fans throwing out streamers on DC's second corner kick of the game in the 85th min.

That whole logic, of streamers will lead to grenades is load of crap. When TFC fans threw those projectile weapons that were otherwise called seat covers - the team and league put a stop to that. So, yes, if some idiot decides to escalate, and there will be those (pretty much in every team) MLS and the associated team will put an end to that. So no, I don't think that the Don's position will lead to fans checking in their rocket launcher at the gates.

Finally on the streamer thing - some people here don't like it, because it's not their idea of atmosphere. Tough cookies. As long as no one is getting hurt I have no problem with it. Reyna himself said that he enjoyed it - better than playing in an empty stadium, which I am sure could be considered more bush league. Right? We sing they throw stuff. It's all good.

On the Jozy deal - he is worth more than 7 mil and we don't want him going to any club that values him less.

Oh yeah, lay off the Don. He's done more good than harm. I know it's hard to believe considering how we are all Fantasy League experts here.

That's my 2 cents.

Posted by: Kosh | May 13, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Wibon is a joke
PTI is a joke

Streamers set TFC apart from the other MLS teams. Opposing Players have no problems with this at all.

Quote:
Toronto fan passion unsurpassed in MLS
By: Ives Galarcep
Red Bulls Captain Claudio Reyna

"A lot of other cities and clubs in the league need to learn from this," Reyna said after Thursday's match. "Whatever they do, it's here in Canada. We love soccer in America, but for whatever reason they really get behind their team here."
When asked whether he had ever faced a shower of projectiles on a corner kick like the one he saw in Toronto, Reyna had to think about it.

"In Central America, with the U.S. teams, we'd get stuff thrown at us, but not as bad as that," Reyna said. "[Toronto fans have some] good aim. They were wrapping it around my ankles and I really had to stop. It was in the way, but it's good. That's great and they've really been a breath of fresh air in this league with the atmosphere they create."
If you can't handle streamers being thrown at you...grow up and get the hell off the pitch. This is football, not basketball, hockey, tennis or whatever is in between.

I wonder how many of you have seen a game outside of the MLS? Hell I wonder if half you watch football in general. It's streamers.. freaking streamers...give me a damn break.

Much respect to all the crazies at BMO field in Toronto. I wish more teams had the passion and excitement these guys/gals do. They saved MLS and injected it with new life. So instead of taking something away which makes for an awesome TV display (the streamers) get off your hands and cheer for your team.

Posted by: Mel | May 13, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

When I saw the $7mm figure Jozy, I thought it was too LOW. Pato went for $30mm plus. Now I am not saying that Jozy is in his class (or ever will be), but people teams pay a premium for talented young players. Heck, I read that Liverpool wants $30mm for Crouch. Jozy is a bargain by comparison.

Posted by: Bill | May 13, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Like I told my kids, we didn't throw donuts AT Tony Meola - we threw donuts TO Tony Meola!

Posted by: ff | May 13, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Mexico shouldn't get Sven...he hasn't accomplished much in the last 8 years or so, since he left Lazio.

Posted by: nico | May 13, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 |

You mean like at RFK??
And don't forget no paper towels.

Posted by: marksman | May 13, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

bbc had this on their gossip page this morning

Sven Goran Eriksson could be in line to become the next manager of the Mexico national team, replacing Hugo Sanchez. (football365.com, 1430 BST)

Posted by: emanon | May 13, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Toronto does go a little overboard with the streamers.
I think moderation is the key, but a paradox with drunk people.

I prefer chanting aimed at particular players.
Tooooooooojja
Take the Mullet back
to Dallas Braaah!

Posted by: Dadryan | May 13, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm fine with streamers and confetti and other visible expressions of passion by fans. This is what makes for great atmosphere at soccer games around the world, and Garber is right that it helps distinguish MLS from other pro sports in the US. I've been pleased that MLS and stadiums have allowed all that they have so-far and wish they would be more lenient (I had my confetti taken away at Giants Stadium when I went as a United fan). As said elsewhere, better streamers than empty seats.

Also -- those white baloons they hand out at basketball games for behind the backboard are given by the teams and have corporate logos on them. Our streamers are fan-initiated and therefore truly authentic expressions.

Posted by: David | May 13, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I personally think that the streamers are silly. I fully appreciate the fact that they don't injure anyone and are not bottles, batteries, coins, etc. I still have never been a fan at throwing anything at the field. I could care less that Garber considers it to be part of "soccer culture" and/or "interactive". I have never been down with it.

Having said that, Wilbon gets on my freaking nerves. He just rubs me wrong. Especially when he talks about soccer.

If you are going to throw them then better to do it when your team is winning. Coz whn you are losing your team needs every second that it can get and there is no guarantee that the ref is going to add on the complete amount of time delay that results from throwing them. This is a concept that I struggled to communicate to some youngin's at a USL1 Puerto Rico Islanders' game a couple weeks ago. We we LOSING and these chuckleheads were throwing tons of streamers at the opposing team's goal to the point that the 6 & 18 yrd boxes were littered, mostly covered and the ref stopped the match while they were cleaned up. So I politely asked them to knock it off, especially given the fact that we were LOSING, 1-0 and that our boys hard started to get some offensive rythm going. They still didn't get it. Not even when the team owner/club president that I was hanging with went over to talk them after I was unsuccessful, he sent over the police. When the game was over, it didn't seem like the ref added the time second for second (not that it would have mattered because Miami eneded up scoring a second goal very quickly after the ref stopped play over the toilet paper cleanup).

If you're gonna do it then at least think about the timing. Any fan/hincha/barra should always utilize a certain amount of intelligence or sophistication and doing anything to hurt your clubs chances to get a better result--even inadvertantly is just plain not thinking about the bigger picture.

I'll take streamers over rioting and tossing flares any day of the week...I may not like them but hey--let's keep things in perspective oh Great Wilbon.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 13, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Comparing Altidore to Santa Cruz demonstrates the figure isn't too high. Altidore is capable of 20 goals -- maybe not in his first year, but as he learns and improves his own game...With better service, Altidore will be a force. he could be Yakubu-level or better. And he's so young -- that the figure will prove to be a bargain in a few years.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 13, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

As for the streamers -- I've expressed myself before -- I agree with Goff -- if the intent is to interfere with an opposing team player or play, it's not defensible behavior. It's not a question of fun -- it's morality, or ethics. Saying baseball fans do it is no defense. Yankees fans have been known to throw objects like batteries at the rightfielder. Does that justify the Costa Rican fans throwing various missiles at the U.S. players?

I understand the MLS wants to be as indulgent of its fans as possible. They don't want to do anything to tamp down the carnival, but some things really are a bridge too far.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 13, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

i agree with wilbon, its getting annoying, funny the first couple of weeks toronto did it, now colorado and columbus are doing it, hey it works in bothering the players but i personally don't want a 3 min stoppage to clear streamers, however, since this will be allowed, players should plan ahead and do quick corners

Posted by: anti-streamer | May 13, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Streamers are nothing. Really.

Wilbon shows his lack of flair by not even harping on the requisite stabbings at any Buenos Aires derby or the uniquely Italian penchant for tossing scooters off of the upper deck at Serie A matches.

Back to it though, Doogie Howser, you are misguided. Hurling verbal insults is little different from hurling beers at players. It is a difference in DEGREE not kind. The point being that its action is designed to unbalance the opposition and improve the chances of success for the desired team. All U.S. sports broadcasters weave insufferable yarns about the fabled 12th man and playing in certain "houses" (how about the notories Eagles fans, Wilbon? they never, ever act poorly, or hurt visiting fans...). College games are infinitely worse that pro. Epithets, slurs, beers, rocks, coins (a favorite at some schools) are all regularly hurled at the opposition. Patrons get tossed out only if they invade the field of play or start throwing fists.

[cue music]

Streamers? did you say "streamers"?!? Nothing is streamered until WE decide it is. Was it over when the Germans streamered Pearl Harbor? Hell No!

Streamers?

Forget it, he's rolling.

And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

What the F*** happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer...

Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

We're just the guys to do it.

Let's do it.

LET'S DO IT!

[release streamers]

Posted by: Erick | May 13, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

this is futbol game not just a regular season football game,. This is life and passion please dont turn this into another sport. I love soccer because of what it is

Posted by: dc fan | May 13, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dc fan | May 13, 2008 1:54 PM

---------------------------------------------

So are you saying the many countries where they don't throw things at players aren't doing it right?

I love how some soccer fans move the target for what is acceptable. Part of my problem with streamers is that if you let what happens now continue, you really run the risk of someone thinking it's OK to throw something else at players.

Posted by: Huh? | May 13, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

we don't need no steenkin streamers...

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 13, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Did you all see the streamers that BB released on thursday? we didnt hurt anyone but it looks damn good on the DCU website!

Posted by: 135 | May 13, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

When I watch the game, it is like my life depends on it, my heart beats so fast, even when my son watch (7) he sometimes cant watch the game because he is afraid to lose, you know this is the main diffrence than any other sport. I have friends that watch other sports and when there team loses, it loses yeah they are sad but it is not the same. Futbol/soccer is so diffrent, why do jerks like WILBON who could not kick a ball if his life depended on him think they know squat about soccer. Futbol is what it is, passion, hinchadas, drums, horns, streamers, flares, etc. IF you want to change it then go to another game. You have to take the good and the bad, or none at all.

Posted by: Dc Fan | May 13, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Forget the streamers. What soccer in the US needs are:

- Orchestrated fireworks.

- A stadium organ to play the "Charge" song.

- Light shows and the Alan Parsons Project for player intros.

- Canned music throughout the game

- Scoreboard prompts to tell the fans when to cheer (you people on the loud side are cheering all the time, showing how clueless you are)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 13, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

batteries are expensive.

Posted by: jsf | May 13, 2008 12:03 PM

Throw used batteries. Duh.

Posted by: Duracell | May 13, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

More horns!

Posted by: Joe | May 13, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

When are the England upcoming friendlies?

Posted by: Sammy | May 13, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

when streamers are a subject of debate, you know people have too much time on their hands

Posted by: nico | May 13, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Good for Micheal.

Idiots throwing stuff on the field are why you can't buy a drink with a bloody lid at a sporting event.

Cheer, scream, jump up and down, hold clever signs, play drums, but keep your stuff in the seats....

Posted by: Lloyd Heilbrunn | May 13, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I didn't read any of the comments, and I think that the streamers are getting kinda old.

But having said that Wilbon says that anything that a fan does to screw with the actual competition is wrong yet isn't that exactly what every (american) football team in the world asks for? In some stadiums the fans are literally so loud that the opposing team cannot communicate and are at a definite disadvantage relative their opponent when it comes to communicating while on offense.

Posted by: Brian | May 13, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

More cowbell....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 13, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

When did Wilbon start caring about soccer? Shut the hell up and go back to arguing with Kornheiser about Dan Snyder.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea who the hell is this Wilbon but he sounds like he needs to retire from this world because he is worth the sh.t. If you do not have talent and capable of doing something worth you are coward and it is not worth talking about this stupid jerk. So let him yell untill he runs out the air die.

Posted by: what? | May 13, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Steamers from last thursday was from SE. I am sure there are some from BB too. Rumor has that they spent on it

Posted by: td | May 13, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

the streamers on corners/throw ins are bush league. Plain and simple no two ways about it. No other league allows that. After goals, sure, go nuts. If you wanna toss em around in the stands; great.

If players were smart they'd place the ball and walk away until they are tuckered out; especially if they are beating TFC. Sure the time is added on at the end but we all know they never put ALL the time lost on. No ref can force you to play while objects are being lobbed at you.

Now, if a player was REALLY smart, he'd wait for a streamer roll to hit him anywhere near his head, fall down and claim something was rolled up in it once he regains his wits and refuse to continue the match. 3pts for the visitors. I'd tell my players to do it for sure if we were losing.

Wilbon is an ass who knows nothing about proper football but he has a point on this.

Posted by: papa bear | May 13, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

How's David Beckman doing for the Galaxy?

Posted by: Sammy | May 14, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse