Morning Kickaround

*I hear that D.C. United President Kevin Payne will join GM Dave Kasper in Argentina this weekend for the superclasico. Intriguing, no? Maybe a formal relationship with Boca? Are the Juan Sebastian Veron talks back on? How about a Martin Palermo signing after Luciano Emilio is transferred to a Central American club this summer? Just more baseless speculation.

*New York and Toronto played to a 1-1 tie last night. Video highlights are available here. Never mind the match -- how about the best-in-MLS atmosphere?

Red Bulls GK Jon Conway: "This is the best place to play. The fans are great, they're loud, they chant, they're unbelievable. I don't mind them throwing stuff on the field as long as it's not projectiles that can hurt me - I don't mind it all, I think it's great, you just don't want to see anybody get injured with a water bottle or anything, but the fans are the reason why I love playing here."

N.Y. Coach Juan Carlos Osorio: "I will probably speak on behalf of all my players but we probably wish we could play in an environment like this week in and week out." (Wait a minute, Giants Stadium isn't like that?) "Most of the players just thrive on the challenge of playing in front of 20,000 and there was great feeling and I think my players performed very well today in front of a lot of people, and took the challenge and did very well."

*To read about DCU rookie Dan Stratford, click here.

*Colombia 5, Venezuela 2 (friendly). Audio is essential:

*Santos 2, Cucuta 0 (Libertadores). Audio is not essential:

By Steve Goff  |  May 2, 2008; 8:59 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Remembering Gordon
Next: Olsen's Career in Jeopardy

Comments

You found highlights from that game?

Posted by: RK | May 2, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I still think RFK is the best atmosphere....that being said, the red patch boys do a heck of a job up there in the big T.

Vamos United.....all the way to the top o' the table!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Smitty | May 2, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I got lvoe for DC and BB and all...but TFC fans take it up a whole 'nother level. Best in the league, bar none!

Posted by: downtown | May 2, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Man, talk about slapping your own fanbase across the back of the head. Ouch...

Posted by: BarraBoliviano | May 2, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Nothing but mad respect for the Red Patch Boys but alot of it has to do with stadium size and configuration. If we were in a 20,000 seat stadium and the Barra had all the sections behind the goal you'd see some atmosphere comprable to the great barra's of South America.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | May 2, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Just in SORRY GOFF we have an Sponsor FINALLY!!! everyone will find out who it is on thursday The FO have Given Barra Brava the insider scoop and have given el Jefe a Huge DCU shirt which will cover up to 3 sections with the New logo on it !! anyone curious?? THE NEW SPONSOR ISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

????????????????? GO to THe Game and Find Out!!!!!!

Posted by: 135 | May 2, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

How hilarious was it to watch Reyna take what seemed like five minutes to patiently remove streamer after streamer while trying to take that corner, all with the "Has Been" poster behind him. Classic!

Posted by: JB | May 2, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I cannot blame KP and Kasper for heading down for this game. Wouldn't you? I don't have anyone to sign but I would love to be there!

Posted by: jgildea | May 2, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

If you don't know who the new sponsor is by now, you simply having been paying attention. Goff et. Al. discussed it at length yesterday, after alluding to it weeks ago. But good on you for the props for the game. Should look sweet on ESPN.

Posted by: JB | May 2, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

having=haven't

Posted by: JB | May 2, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

============
After DCU were able to bring Gallardo, it seems the clubs have been drawn more closer relationship. That's very encauraging. I do not see Veron playing along Gallardo as they both have similar positions. Palermo would be more than upgrade to Emilio but he is also getting old and that is one more thing the MLS criticts would say people coming here for the retirement. How about formal relationship with River Plate? Hopefully, they will bring a really good striker. There is got to be a big reason for this event or otherwise they could watch the game from the US.
Tune in this Sunda at 2 pm to witness Boca v. River live on FSC.

Posted by: ff | May 2, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Why the "SORRY GOFF" business? VW has been discussed at length.

The giant shirt is the news in your post. And that's quite cool, actually.

Posted by: KR in DC | May 2, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Even as the DCU fan, I have nothing but admiration for TFC fans atmospher. Now lets get all into singing and try better than the our northern fan rival on Thursday. So, ESPN can say, it's not just in Toronto, DC is even better.

Posted by: ff | May 2, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Watch this game from home?!?! Are you serious? Do you have any idea what a River v Boca game is like live? If there were any possible way I could go I'd be on the first plane tomorrow.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | May 2, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

If "atmosphere" is being defined as throwing streamers at player when they are near the stands, then bully on Toronto.

I love the passion of their fans and the singing, but the streamer stuff is making MLS look juvenile, in Toronto and elsewhere.

Posted by: No Fun | May 2, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Emilio needs to pick up his scoring fast. Palermo would have been nice 3-4 years ago, but too old now. How about we pick up some of the strikers who scored for Columbia against Venezuela? They seem to be fully capable and younger. Veron is out of the question. We already have Gallardo and Veron already denied us once, so lets forget about him.

Posted by: JLMAN | May 2, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

TFC's supporters rock. I think it's great that we have some legitimate competition for the best supporters in MLS. I'd love to see it happen everywhere!

So my hat's off to the Red Path Boys. They are more than worthy to be considered second best in MLS. ;-)

Posted by: KR in DC | May 2, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

typo: Red PATCH Boys

Posted by: KR in DC | May 2, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I think one important thing everyone is missing here is DC plays at 3 pm on Sunday. Normally a GM and the President would be watching said game, no? Last time I checked you can't be at two places at once. This just furthers speculation that there is some meat to this story we arent privy to yet. I suspect something big will be going down in the coming days/weeks.

Posted by: strago | May 2, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

DC shirt sponsor details from the Washington Business Journal:

Posted by: Arrrlington | May 2, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

not even hours since they signed the contract with VW, dcunited is going to Argentina to get more players. just trade Emilio and Neill to columbus for schelloto and save some money!!

Posted by: koolcaio | May 2, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: No Fun | May 2, 2008 10:02 AM

U have got to be kidding me !! making MLS look Juvenile? come on man!! all those juvenile things are what makes soccer what it is!!! without fans and juvenile things (as u said) soccer wouldnt be the same!!

Posted by: 135 | May 2, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Dirty Harry's comment on the stadium. Shave off the top half of RFK Stadium, eliminate some of the gap between the field and the seats, and RFK equals TFC.

All the more reason to get that 25k-seat stadium built. It'll be like the Charlton game I went to about 10 years ago -- loud, exciting and the field was RIGHT THERE! Can't wait...

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 2, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"I hear that D.C. United President Kevin Payne will join GM Dave Kasper in Argentina this weekend for the superclasico. Intriguing, no? Maybe a formal relationship with Boca? Are the Juan Sebastian Veron talks back on? How about a Martin Palermo signing after Luciano Emilio is transferred to a Central American club this summer? Just more baseless speculation."

What is D.C. United's problem with, oh I dunno, looking for some domestic talent for once? Why are we OBSESSED with ONLY making acquisitions in Latin America? It's getting annoying, we overate these guys from South America and it deosn't translate into results.

Posted by: Bill | May 2, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: No Fun | May 2, 2008 10:02 AM
---------------------------

I don't agree. While this Boca match might be over the top, the passion is infectious!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

The game last night looked great to the point where my girlfriend who watches soccer asked why they were showing an EPL game so late on a Thursday night.

The first thing that alerted her was the fact that they weren't playing on grass.

I can't wait to go up on the 21st!

Posted by: Southeasterner | May 2, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Some of you guys are lame and give TFC fans to much credit. They dont give 90 minutes and are not even the 2nd best in MLS which goes to section 8. They just pack the stands. We would to if we had a tiny stadium. The only reason there noise seems constant is because of the samba being played in the back ground but they have nothing to do with the suppoters sections.

Posted by: Sysco76 | May 2, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

If we ever get a proper stadium, no one will even mention other fans in MLS. United supporters show up every week, sing and get behind their team in the stadium equivalent of a Superfund site.

Posted by: Kev | May 2, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Some of you guys are lame and give TFC fans to much credit. They dont give 90 minutes and are not even the 2nd best in MLS which goes to section 8. They just pack the stands. We would to if we had a tiny stadium. The only reason there noise seems constant is because of the samba being played in the back ground but they have nothing to do with the supporters sections.

heh, heh. Someone feels a bit threatened, I think.

Posted by: KR in DC | May 2, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 135 | May 2, 2008 10:15 AM

Chelsea fans throw celery. That's far more mature ;-)

Posted by: Kev | May 2, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bill | May 2, 2008 10:26 AM

Sarcasm, surely...

Posted by: JkR | May 2, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Of course, if I have the chace to attend live BOCA v. River game, I would go. Just saying there must be some hidden important mission to this.
Domestic talent? I am sure they are desparate to search domestic talent but they are none existance. Everyone wishes but somehow it is still lacking in this country. Hopefully in a few years. Look at even the few folks playing at EPL, they are now in danger of relagating to champoinship leagues and no one is talking about buying them.
As far as fan goes, I am only for the singning and waving flags, scurfs and banners. Not a fan of steamers, confetties, definitely NOT throwing all that stuff on the ground. It is really annoying. And we really need to stop one chant to refs specially we are on TV. You know which one I am talking about? We need to build good fan an example.

Posted by: ff | May 2, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

heh, heh. Someone feels a bit threatened, I think.

Why? I was only stating facts.

Also throwing streamers at a player during comer kicks is also ridiculous. Is south america they throw steamers before a game maybe when a goal is scored. Not at players while taking coner kicks.

Posted by: Sysco76 | May 2, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ff | May 2, 2008 10:38 AM

*****************************

That must be the "Bless U, Ref!" chant I keep hearing.

Thanks for the Roda-gol highlights from the Colombia game. I was surprised to see Hugo Rodallega playing as his team, Necaxa, is in the midst of the playoff race going in to the final weekend of the Mexican league regular season. But closer inspection of the standings seems to show Necaxa locked into the repechaje, or wildcard play-in round, no matter what they do this weekend.

Posted by: garbaggio | May 2, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

best-in-MLS atmosphere? Goffs, why must you needle us so?

Posted by: Matte | May 2, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Well the league really sucks up the atmosphere. Everytime you see an MLS commercial on FSC or ESPN it shows the TFC guys or the Barra and their SMOKE and streamers and confetti. DC United's own season ticket brochure features the Barra and all our flags and smoke. Who is all that geared to?

Posted by: DirtyHarry | May 2, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I just came in to the site and saw some one post with my name 135 in the blog I would like to ask the porson who used my name to please come forward and if you dont come forward just please stop using my name . You have just posted something that you werent supposed to and It is not cool that you are using my name to do so, So please just dont use my name to post stupid things or to post anything for that matter.
Thanks Fernando Sattori (El Jefe's Kid)

Posted by: 135(Fernando) | May 2, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Waayyyyy Off topic: Goff's blog regularly crashes my iPhone. Does anyone else have this issue? I guess the iPhone can't handle Goffinho's power.

Posted by: EssEff | May 2, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

heh, heh. Someone feels a bit threatened, I think.

Why? I was only stating facts.
-------------------------------------

Demonstrably untrue.

Some of you guys are lame (OPINION)
...and give TFC fans to much credit (OPINION)
They dont give 90 minutes (OPINION)
...and are not even the 2nd best in MLS - which goes to section 8 (OPINION)
They just pack the stands (FACT)
We would to if we had a tiny stadium (not FACT but almost certainly true)
The only reason (OPINION)
...there noise seems constant is because of the samba being played in the back ground but they have nothing to do with the supporters sections.

5 opinions, 1 fact (+ 1 that's almost a certainty).

Look, I'm a DCU supporter and I'll put our supporters up against any team in MLS. I just don't feel the need to knock TFC. That's a new franchise and they are doing a GREAT job.

Posted by: KR in DC | May 2, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, it recently came out in Bolivian news that DC is signing some kind of alliance contract with Club Bolivar of Bolivia. Is there any truth to that??

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | May 2, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Who ever is using my name please learn how to F...ing type you are making me look stupid here! Dude Stop texting your texting is tranfering to your grammar now.
u no wut m sayn?LMAO

Posted by: 135(Fernando) | May 2, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Win or Else | May 2, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Before DC signed Emilio there were rumors they were going after Palermo. I hope they finally get him, I always thought Emilio was a poor-mans Palermo.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I hope DC would get palermo that would be awsome!! But IMO hes not speedy enough for our league. I much rather would have a forward who is still quick on his toes. Palermo has Palacio to depend on for that, in DC he would have...Moreno.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | May 2, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

And i just wanted to add in, Palermo though if right now we could directly replace him for Emilio for sure would have finished alot of opp. that Luci-nogol didnt.

Hes still got that great first time strike that all world class forwards have.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | May 2, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm still holding out hope for Veron. With Veron in the middle Gallardo would be free to all out attack. And we'd have a world class threat for strikes from outside the box. Please sign Veron!!!!!

Posted by: Section106 | May 2, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I think the atmosphere at BMO is better than RFK. That was a Thursday night game in a cold rain and those stands were packed. Noise and excitement were coming from all quarters of the stands. Under conditions like that DCU would get an announced crowd of 12K.

With due respect to the BB, SE and LN, the supporters groups cannot be "all the atmosphere". At some point these groups have to stop patting themselves on the back and think of ways to bring the whole stadium into supporting United. One way might be singing songs in English with simple lyrics that even a casual fan could sing. I sit behind the Bara but, I don't know what they are singing so I don't sing along. I do chant "DC United" because I get that one.

I think all the paper on the field doesn't make MLS look juvenile. It makes it look third-world. They have police in riot gear surrounding the field, fences and a moat. Throwing stuff on the field interrupts the game is a good excuse to put up a fence.

They solved these problems in England by taking down the fences in exchange for better behavior. I don't think the lack of streamers, flares or smoke bombs has hurt the atmosphere in the EPL.

Posted by: Don't fence me in | May 2, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Don't fence me in | May 2, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I don't like throwing streamers at the opposition. Not corner kickers. Not goalies. Deliberately interfering with play isn't juvenile, at all. It's asinine. It may still be better than the bleachers at Yankee Stadium hurling batteries at the rightfielder, but that's damning with faint praise, no?

That said, the atmosphere for TFC is pretty cool. WE do OK at RFK -- and it's not just the Barra. I do get a little tired with the endless salutes to Barra. Salvatore is back with his drum on the other side, and La Norte is tiny, but spirited. If that side weren't so far away from the field, and the noise from the other side, you'd hear more from the fans there. Yes, it's the family-friendly side, but the kids can make noise, too. They love Salvatore.

On truly important matters -- Did Goff pick up on my rank speculation from yesterday about a Palermo/Emilio roster swap? Or is that just too obvious not to occur to him independently?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 2, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

In regards to Veron, you might want to read what FC Dallas GK Dario Sala said about him playing in MLS to ESPN Deportes last week:

"Yo hablé con la Bruja el año pasado y también con la directiva del FC Dallas ya que tenía una amistad con él. Lo de la Brujita no es la plata, el quiere ser presidente y directivo de Estudiantes de la Plata. Fue una decisión de él no venir, pasó más por eso que por darle el no a la MLS. No fue algo contra la MLS sino que tiene otros planes."

Basically, he says that the two are friends and he spoke with him last year about the possibility of him playing for MLS. La Brujita wants to be the president of Estudiantes. La Brujita has nothing against MLS, but he has other plans. It's not about money.

Posted by: Maury | May 2, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

You're right Steve. TFC provides the best-in-MLS atmosphere. Having said that, I truly believe DCU will have an even better atmosphere when (if?) a soccer-specific stadium is built in the District. Our biggest problem is playing in a cavern of half-empty seats. Don't care if the upper level is closed, don't care if the pitch is better this year - it's still a half-full stadium where the supporters' cheers are lost.

Something else that helps - did you see any shots of TFC supporters last night that didn't have at least one person holding a cup of beer?

Posted by: BillyBob | May 2, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

It's hilarious that all of these great and "intimidating" fan atmosphere only inspires the opposition, as stated by the New York players and coaches.

Maybe we should stop showing up to matches or jsut be really, really, quiet.

Posted by: A.D.D. in the USA | May 2, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

WE'VE GOT SPIRIT! YES WE DO!

WE'VE GOT SPIRIT! HOW 'BOUT YOU!

Just a suggestion for the next TFC match

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 2, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Why should the supporters groups have to worry about bringing the whole stadium into the fold? That's not their job or purpose. They support the TEAM by growing their numbers which in the Barra's case include alot of american fans who aren't apathetic or averse to learning songs in a different language.

Posted by: RowdyRoddyPiper | May 2, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"Even when the Red Bulls get their new stadium, they'll only get close to TFC's atmosphere when the team is winning. NY metro area fans are fickle. If the Red Bulls suck, they'll struggle to pull 10,000, and the primary noises heard will be boos and whistles. TFC fans seem like the type to support their team through thick and thin."

I'll take that bait. The ESC, which granted doesn't have huge numbers, does sing for ninety minutes, non-stop, loud despite the terrible, echo-ey stadium and poor play. They'll have no problem making RBP loud.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 2, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Why not get Americans - because for every one great (potentially) player you have 15-20 in Argentina/Brazil. They tend to be cheaper and have well developed soccer brains.

That is why. Go ahead and name an MLS standout right now that is American - I can name one (not named Landon) Jozy Altidore and even he hasn't played that much this season. The others Guevara, Gallardo, Lopez, Galindo, Angel, Blanco, etc.

If we had the depth of talent and the resources to find it things may change.

James

Posted by: james | May 2, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

To: @ don't fence me in:

The songs the Barra and the other supporters groups/fan clubs use are readily available. For exampel the basic ones are at:

and half of them are in english, and occaisionally up on one of Srdan's Two poles. Its not uncommon for fans to ask someone who is singign what the lyrics are.

Posted by: Don't fence me in | May 2, 2008 11:29 AM

Posted by: singing | May 2, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Interesting Pachuca news -- they are starting a local affiliation

Posted by: WNT fan | May 2, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

difference between the DC fans and the TFC fans is more of the TFC fans know the game. The DC supporters groups may be a little better than TFC's at times, but the rest of the DC crowd isn't as good as the rest of the TFC crowd. The non-chanters/standers/streamer throws at BMO are very much into the game and yelling and commenting on the plays, if not in a coordinated fashion.

Posted by: satan | May 2, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

the turf in toronto looks ridiculous..why can't they have grass??

Posted by: mizage | May 2, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

The BArra is not like the eourope fans let me ask you when have u seen a game where the the fans are singing and standing and screaming with out their shirts off the Barrais more based on latin america fans!! watch some soccer and u'll see what being a fan is !! u sit behind the barra u are one of those that say "IM A BIG FAN " no no no my friend u are one of those suckers that think that by paying yout ticket for the game and just watching makes u a fan mmmmmmmm. no.. I am a fan i cheer when they win and cry when they lose and i sing a cheer thought out the whole game win or lose!!

BARRA BRAVA ROCKSSSSSS!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

the turf in toronto looks ridiculous..why can't they have grass??

Posted by: mizage | May 2, 2008 11:59 AM
============

Especially since hemp is legal in Canada.

(bah-dum tish!)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 2, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

But look around the stadium and realize if you want an atmosphere that will be recognized as the best you'd better get the rest of the crowd to sing with you.

Cuz I've got news for you. You can grow the Barra Brava or any other fan group (in the name of full disclosure I'm a Chicago fan not in Section 8) as big as you want but your stadium will always be half full of people who attend 1-4 games a year. Without them you're just a fraction fo the stadium singing.

I don't mean for this to be misconstrued. I love the Supporters Groups, your great for all of us and I thank you (whole-heartedly) for what you bring to the game.

But I think some efforts on the part of these groups to engage the rest of the crowd will help bring the atmosphere to the level you see in TFC. The supporters group is the driver but the difference between them and the rest is that everyone else is singing too.

Posted by: Steve | May 2, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Look at any stadium in the world and tell me who has 100% participation. Even in South America where the barra's occupy the endzones, the sideline seats are occupied by fans that want to watch the game. The Barra's purpose is to support United for 90 minutes each and every game. Alot of the time that's conducted by a few directors who give up the pleasure of even watching the game. That is certainly not everyones cup of tea. To think the supporters group job is to involve the whole stadium is naive. If people want to get involved they know where to find us.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | May 2, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

i really hate the comparisons to other leagues.....Honey, we ain't the EPL...nor are we a latin american club

we are a melting pot of ideas....

every game, I hear and see our english, argentine, german, bolivian and others influences.

personally i don't want to be like any other league or foreign supporter group... I want to be our own league, our own group, which I think we have done successfully....

to those who don't sing because the songs are in spanish, I say...Support the team and Learn The Songs in Spanish, they're simple...

its not brain surgery...

Posted by: myt! | May 2, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

If the rest of the crowd joined in with the barra then they wouldn't feel special anymore. Every once in a while they have to start some feud with the screaming eagles to bolster their spirit and group identity.

Singing songs in Spanish would make me fell like I did in Catholic school when we had to memorize the Frenc song sung by the "singing nun". I memorized it but, I didn't have a clue.

I'm all for singing songs in Spanish when the Boca supporters start singing in English. Which has a longer tradition in football.

I may be a bit naive but I dream of a day when the team has an anthem and all stand and sing as one. It will be a long day off if that song is going to be in Spanish.

Posted by: Dont fence me in | May 2, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Sebastián Abreu would be a much better signing than Palermo, imo. I wouldn't mind seeing Ortega suit up for DC either.

Posted by: United Fan in Mass | May 2, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Well then Fence, get off your butt, start a supporters group, write a song for United in english and get the whole stadium to sing along. Doesn't sound that hard to me.

Posted by: RowdyRoddyPiper | May 2, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bill | May 2, 2008 10:26 AM

---------------------------------------------
Yeah... Etcheverry (1998 MLS MVP), Gomez (2006 MLS MVP) and Emilio (2007 MLS MVP) really didn't work out so well, did they? And those 4 MLS cups and 4 Supporters Shields aren't really good results are they?

Yeesh.

Posted by: edgeonyou | May 2, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm a longtime DCU fan and tuned into the TFC/RB game last night to check out the much-vaunted BMO atmosphere, and boy was I impressed. Considering the awful weather and relatively unexciting game, those TFC fans brung it!

Someone else mentioned the crowd shots in which someone could always be seen holding a beer. As far as I could tell, few people _weren't_ holding beers, and there was a ton of double-fisted drinking going on.

Posted by: edgeonyou | May 2, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like some xenophobic slant coming from Fence.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Is that what is sounds like? Not xenophobic, just uni-lingual. Don't condemn me, I'm a victim of an inferior education.

Posted by: Fence | May 2, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: satan | May 2, 2008 11:58 AM
____________________________________________

I'll agree with this. The barra' is the s***, but in comparison to real Barra's in SA is not all that. I think even though in DC we got a rep of having a awsome barra we need to step our game up.

Someone needs to get on the ball with a trumpet lol.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | May 2, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Yes let me also say that i was also impressed too with TFC fans, they were singing the whole time, the whole game never giving up hope! I loved it!

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | May 2, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

WE'VE GOT SPIRIT! YES WE DO!

WE'VE GOT SPIRIT! HOW 'BOUT YOU!

Just a suggestion for the next TFC match

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 2, 2008 11:37 AM

I've always thought the Barra should sing,

"U-G-L-Y you aint go no alibi.
You ugly, hey hey
You ugly, whooo!"

One thing about TFC fans is that, despite their numbers, they really aren't intimidated. Not when you compare them to the tatoo-cladded, gun holstered, maniacle barra brava fans.

Posted by: Glaucon | May 2, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

New kewl things are easy to embrace.
Especially when it's kinda in vogue.
Fixed Gears, cycling caps, tight pants, and now being a soccer hooligan.
Big Deal Toronto.
Funny point on the lack of Grass up north...
The sad part is that that game sucked.
Do we really tune in on Thursday night to stare at the people in the stupid stands?
I think the sky line in the back ground @ kick off is really clever too, but ya'll are gonna get trumped next year when you see how sweet the triple towers look jacked up above Qwest when the Sounders hit the turf.
Funny, emerald city will be playing on turf too.
Better for the tailgates I suppose.

Posted by: Dadryan | May 2, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

heh I give credit where credit is due, and I only watched last half hour in Toronto so maybe first 60 minutes was incredible, but last 30 was average at best. And average for MLS is sad :D

They lead the league as far as regular fans, but that's credit to their inovative FO marketing. As far as supporter groups.. not so much and leaders of their groups will tell you as much themselves.

"I don't think the lack of streamers, flares or smoke bombs has hurt the atmosphere in the EPL."

why is there EPL and atmosphere in same sentence?

Posted by: Srdan, La Barra | May 3, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse