Morning Kickaround

On a day that D.C. United will join forces with a German automaker, let's start the morning with an American theme.

*Michael Bradley had an incredible season in the Netherlands, but his early red card contributed to a big loss to Ajax in a Dutch playoff.

*Ticket sales for the USA-Argentina friendly at Giants Stadium on June 8 have surpassed 40,000.

*Among the call-ups for the U.S. under-20 national team's exhibition tour in England this week is midfielder Derek Markheim, 18, an Osbourn Park (Va.) High graduate who bypassed college to join Amiens SC in French Ligue 2. He has played for McLean FC in Northern Virginia and D.C. United's under-17s.

*Chivas USA defender Lawson Vaughn is out four to six weeks after getting kicked in the face.

That's all for now. Back later with all the color and pageantry from the DCU-VW marriage at RFK.

By Steve Goff  |  May 6, 2008; 7:38 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Das Auto: VW and DCU
Next: Beep-Beep

Comments

A five-year "marriage" where one party pays the other to wear their logo.

Any news on V-Dub Park at Poplar Point?

Posted by: $$$ | May 6, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Certainly M.Bradley's sending off didn't help H-veen's cause, but they were really fighting an uphill battle anyway having lost the first leg at home 2-1 to Ajax.

Posted by: Red Card | May 6, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

One Dubya on his way out soon (thank God!) and another Dubya coming on. Welcome VW!

Posted by: Joe | May 6, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait for people to begin complaining about how foolish the VW looks on United's jerseys.

Posted by: TCompotn | May 6, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

One of the nicest cars I ever had was a new 1973 Karman Gia sports car. It was yellow. Loved that car.

Posted by: Frau | May 6, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

----
----

Either way, United and VW will still be happy that people are "talking" about United and VW.

Posted by: the Coyote | May 6, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I think it's great that United has a different source of income regardless of people like or hate the fact that its shirts have corporate logo. I don't really focus on the corporate logo rather it's a design to look good. There will never be a 100% agreement on any subject no matter what. I agree with the Coyote that the fact that it makes people talking alone is a dream for any business to spread around their name.

Posted by: td | May 6, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Maybe this will mean they will bring back the original "Germanic" eagle logo?

Posted by: edgeonyou | May 6, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

"*Clint Dempsey commits to Fulham, regardless of whether the clubs stays in the Premiership or drops to the Championship division."

Portsmouth will be no problem :-)

I'm sure Columbus is hoping for a Fulham drop so they can bring McBride back, maybe they will trade us for our extra DP slot.

Posted by: Southeasterner | May 6, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Portsmouth will be no problem :-)

Good luck on Fulham beating Portsmouth. I prefer Reading and Bobby Conway's chances of beating soon-to-be-departed Derby and overtaking Fulham to escape the final relegation spot.

Posted by: BillyBob | May 6, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

What are sales for the U.S.-Canada friendly this Saturday at RFK? Given the woeful marketing, they could host this at the Maryland Soccerplex!

Posted by: Geeen! | May 6, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Southeasterner,

I don't think Columbus would need another DP. Scheletto isn't designated as one. They kept his base salary down by using allocation money.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Posted by: Elliott | May 6, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Let's get MLS to reach out to our Bundesliga partners and our new shirt sponsor to get the plans for the Volkswagen Arena (GOOGLE IT!).

It'd look GREAT on Poplar Point.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 6, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

These high kicks the injured Vaughan have to be punished by red cards and suspensions. The length of the injury of 4-6 weeks seems about right.

Posted by: tex | May 6, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I can understand the excitement of the shirt sponsor up to a point. I understand the importance of the money and the business aspect of it, but it still seems the excitement surrounding it is a little bit over-the-top.

To me, the excitement comes across like, "Look Eurosnobs! We've got a sponsor like all the clubs in the rest of the world now. See, we're one of you!" I know that's a little exagerated, but still.

Posted by: TCompton | May 6, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

so does this mean that the new stadium will be in herndon? (as a resident of loudoun co., I could hope!)

Posted by: Anonymous | May 6, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Steven, you wrote-

"*Milan Mandaric, Leicester City's American owner, says he is committed to the club, despite the possibility of relegation to England's third tier. Mandaric grew up in Yugoslavia, made a fortune in Silicon Valley and has had ownership stakes in San Jose, Standard Liege, Nice and Portsmouth."

If you look, that article was last updated at 15:57 GMT, Thursday, 24 April 2008 16:57 UK.

Leicester City went down on Sunday when they couldn't beat Stoke City and Southampton beat Sheffield United.

Perhaps you meant to link this article, where MM pledges his future to the Foxes despite being relegated to League One.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | May 6, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

is the press conference on tv today at all?

Posted by: chris | May 6, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TCompton | May 6, 2008 9:06 AM

If you are referring to UNICEF, even that was a recent decision -- just a year or two ago.

Posted by: RK | May 6, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

now that the sponsor thing is out of the way, we're free to get back to non-stop dp speculation and endless fretting about the stadium. good times!

Posted by: stairs | May 6, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Bobby Conway???

Posted by: DE | May 6, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

stairs,

Stadium?

zzz...

Posted by: B.A. | May 6, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

MLS Rumor mill has it that DC might soon sign another Argentine...midfielder perhaps.

How "hot" is this info.?

Posted by: jim4dcunited | May 6, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Any news on V-Dub Park at Poplar Point?
------------------------
Payne was recently interviewed on Forbes Sports Business: http://www.forbes.com/video/?video=fvn/sportsmoney/mo_sm032008&partner=contextual

About two minutes into the interview he says there will be a stadium announcement this spring. I read his comment as leaning toward PP, but he also mentions the 'other jurisdiction.'

He also says that United might just make a profit this year. Could that be due to our new German best friends?

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 6, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Follow this link to see some of the guys in their jerseys with the new logo....looks pretty sharp!!

Posted by: Smitty | May 6, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Just to clarify, Barcelona pays Unicef for the right to wear the logo. It's not sponsorship, it's charity.

Posted by: TCompton | May 6, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Volkswagen Park? I could get used to it. But at this point, I'd take Head On! Park if it meant a soccer-specific, 25,000-seat stadium.

BTW... how is the new Nationals Stadium? Hoping to get there one of these days... AFTER I get to my first United game of the season, of course.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 6, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

After years of watching their profits swirl down the drain I doubt the owners care less how it looks to the rest of the world. Profits aside I also look at it as a middle finger to the Defords, Romes and Kornheisers of the world.If and when we get our stadium I'm sure they'll sell the naming rights to that for even MORE profits. What the hell is Payne going to do with all that money coming in?

Posted by: DirtyHarry | May 6, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Smitty | May 6, 2008 9:39 AM
---------------------------------

Fred's leg looks fine to me...

Posted by: iammrben | May 6, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Looks very nice. Clean design.

Posted by: peridigm | May 6, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Fred's leg looks fine to me...

Posted by: iammrben | May 6, 2008 9:57 AM

_______________________________________

LOL

Posted by: Smitty | May 6, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Bobby Conway???

Posted by: DE | May 6, 2008 9:21 AM
=================

We're all speaking German now and getting the Vs and Ws mixed up.

Mein Hut er hat drei ecken.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 6, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TCompton | May 6, 2008 9:49 AM

Well big effin' deal. They have a paid membership of over 100,000 and a massive stadium, play in Spain, have a huge TV contract and qualify for the Champs League. Get over it. We have a VW logo on our kits.

Posted by: Get over it | May 6, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

What the? TCompton was just explaining the Barca situation in detail, since it was brought up. Try reading the rest of the posts, first, to get some context.

Posted by: RK | May 6, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

TC Compton wrote:
"Up until United got rid of their stripes, I had been hoping they were going to hold-out and become the Barcelona of MLS. I guess that's not going to be the case now."

Yeh like any club in the MLS is in a position to turn down free money. Clearly you are the one that's delusional.

Posted by: Eurosnob | May 6, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Ah, sorry -- thought you were referring to the latter post.

Yes, the thought of being the "Barcelona of MLS" seems quite silly...

Posted by: RK | May 6, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

The new uniform shirt with the "VW" logo looks alright; pretty understated, if you ask me. Could have been a lot worse.

What often gets lost in the discussion of shirt sponsors is the fact that - in some small way - the fortunes of Volkswagen are now linked to the fortunes of DC United and of MLS.

VW is a HUGE multinational corporation that brings significant economic clout and a highly visible public profile to the table, much as Joe Roth, or Paul Allen, or Oscar De la Hoya, or Drew Carey, or Red Bull, or Toyota. The more "partners" like this that MLS has, the more the league is growing. I think that this is a good thing.

Posted by: DCUInWheaton | May 6, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Ok, this has gone in a completely different direction.

The desire to be like Barcelona has more to do with Barca philosophy. I'm not a Barca fan, so someone may know this better than me, but it's something like, "More than a football club."

I think that DC United's mission statement puts them in a similar category by focusing on the community also.

As for Barca not needing a sponsorship deal, It's not like they were alway in the position that they are now. They chose at one point not to partner with an organization that did not have a similar mission statement. That meant that they had to get their funding from somewhere else... i.e., the people who Barcelona represents. They chose to be different, yet succeeded in their league none-the-less.

I realize the differences between Spanish soccer and MLS, but I still think their philosophy is admirable.

In the end, I'd rather have VW as our sponsor than a paint company, but whatever. Money is money, right? Hell, maybe VW will pay United in Euros to sweeten the deal.

Posted by: TCompton | May 6, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TCompton | May 6, 2008 11:29 AM

That slogan is in reference to Barcelona as a political city, the capital of Catalonia, the enemy of Gen. Franco and his fascist regime. It dates back to the Spanish Civil War. "More than a club" is more than a slogan.

...As for Barca not needing a sponsorship deal, It's not like they were alway in the position that they are now.
Posted by: TCompton | May 6, 2008 11:29 AM

Yeah, like only since the 1930s.

Posted by: Barca | May 6, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

If DCU does not start playing better they will be putting the Pinto on the kit.....

Posted by: Lloyd Heilbrunn | May 6, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tex | May 6, 2008 9:03 AM

---------------------

I have to concur with tex that I thought DeRosario got off very easy with a yellow card during the Chivas / Dynamo game. I was shocked at the time to hear Shep "I'm a Mess of a Color Commentator" Messing complain that the yellow card on DeRosario was too harsh. Messing said that the bicycle kick wasn't "reckless". Surely, if you are trying to kick the ball and you miss the ball and kick someone squarely in the face you can't be in too much control of what you are doing.

It wasn't malicious or intentional, but it surely was reckless. DeRosario should be suspended for at least a game. To get the same penalty that a player gets for time wasting is absolutely ridiculous

Posted by: diego r. | May 6, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Only a yellow card for DeRosario?
HOuston is a lousy thuggish team man.

Posted by: Dadryan | May 6, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"If we can't beat em I hope Doe kicks Boswell in the face when we play them, and knocks all his pretty teeth out."

Posted by: Dadryan | May 6, 2008 12:08 PM

Ouch. Dadryan, calm down. This isn't hockey. Why do you hate Boswell anyway? I can see not liking him or thinking he's not a great player, but you seem really angry at the man. And besides, why do you want Doe to do this and not some one else -- say Sohen, or Niel? Enjoy the Troll food.

Posted by: David | May 6, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

David i was kidding. I liked Boswell and was kinda sorry to see him land on such a violent team.
Again this was a joke,it seems like every other week the Dynamo are caught up in some kind of brutality and to be honest if the refs aren't going to do something about it I wouldn't mind seeing one of their players get "it" in the end.
Doe just looks pretty robust and he looks like he may be capable of some crazy bicycle kick that could knock some teeth out.
I was just joking dude.
Eddie Robinson would probably be a better target any way.

Posted by: Dadryan | May 6, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse