Morning Kickaround

In today's print editions, I take a broad look at D.C. United's problems heading into this week's critical pair of matches against Toronto FC. For a chart of DCU's slow starts over its history, click here. Some interesting quotes to chew on, as well:

"Losing the other day really ticked [the players] off even more," Coach Tom Soehn said. "I'll say this: As soon as this team gets it, I wouldn't want to play against us, and we're getting really close."
"It was a letdown and you could see it," veteran defender Bryan Namoff said of Chivas's tying goal Saturday. "Almost everybody had a collective sigh and didn't really know where to go from there. Our mentality was, 'We have to win the game!' We took some chances we probably shouldn't have."

Meantime, Toronto Coach John Carver isn't sure if Maurice Edu will play. He told Canadian reporters:

"Mo took a bang on the leg the day before the game [against Columbus]. He had a dead leg. He got another bang on it just towards the end of the game. That's why we took him off. He's also had a slight problem with his foot as well but every day he's improved like 100 percent, which is great. So I'm going to give him a little bit more time. I've not named the team for [Wednesday] night. I'm going to give him as much time as I can and hopefully he will be recovered in time to take his place on the team. I think it's 75 percent at the moment. The good thing is when you're on a little bit of run that we're on usually you've got a settled team and I want to keep a settled team if I can."

*An arbitrator rules in favor of Trinidad and Tobago's national team members in their dispute with CONCACAF czar Jack Warner over 2006 World Cup payments.

*Check out these video packages put together by the BBC ahead of today's Champions League final between Man U and Chelsea in Moscow. Good stuff.

*Today's the big day for European football, the culmination of a long Champions League campaign with a showdown between two English rivals a long way from home. TV coverage begins at 2:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2. Kickoff is around 2:45. Yes, that is 10:45 p.m. in Moscow.

This is the place for your pregame, in-game and postgame observations.

I will be heading to Toronto shortly for tonight's DCU-TFC match and will rejoin you from BMO Field this evening.

By Steve Goff  |  May 21, 2008; 9:03 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Roster for England Friendly
Next: Manchester United Wins Champions League

Comments

The sooner Jack Warner leaves the world of professional soccer, the better. He's a cancer on the game.

Posted by: TNT | May 21, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Goff,
Thank you for continue travelling to report DC United's matches even though they don't treat you well sometimes. Looking forward to the game report and hopefully a good this time.
My time off today will be well worth. Many friendly games on FSC and of course Champoins League Final. Man U 2- Chelsea 1. Goals Rooney and Ronaldo, Shevchenko.

Posted by: FC Arlington | May 21, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

10:45pm kickoff in Moscow? Jeeze.

Posted by: bwidell | May 21, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Alright, I read the story and I still get upset about the excuses for Emilio. I don't think he gets bad service. I still think he is getting fine service where he sets himself up. He used to make runs into the box towards the penelty spot. Now he posts up at the top of the 18 or comes back in to the midfield to help with possession. The few times he made adequate runs into the box, he screwed them up. I just think his problems lie with himself and he needs to hold himself accountable as do we.

Posted by: moreno4prez | May 21, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I'd like you to keep an eye on the Serioux tackle on Beckham debacle. Its become pretty clear this guy has been planning to lay a hard hit on Beckham since the day he was signed. There are old reports that have him saying he doesn't care who beckham is that he is going after him. I feel he needs to be banned for more than a match, maybe 3.

Posted by: Felix | May 21, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Soccer Wednesday
2:45-Champions League
6 U11 practice
7 U14 Practice
~8:15 United(yeah for DVRs)

Posted by: John | May 21, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Check out those videos on the BBC site, you can adjust the volume and the slider goes up to 11! Looks like someone over at the Beeb is a big fan of Spinal Tap.

Posted by: Nick | May 21, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

@ Felix: That is pretty disturbing if in fact is true that he said it. MLS should investigate that kind of pre-meditative ill thought. I am not surprize if he has personal issue because Beckham makes a lot of many and he doesn't (which he should earn and show himself if you are worthy like Becks). Beckham has established himself a super star status on the globle scale and motivation, if true, like that would only make you stupid rather rise yourself. I am not saying everyone should Becks free pass but playing fair is all about this game.

Posted by: FC Arlington | May 21, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I noticed that too. 11 is one louder, you know

Posted by: SP | May 21, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I am watching US v. Turkey playing in France in an empty stadium. Faildheber is on the roster too. US wearing ugly jersey. Not surprisingly Nike made the exact same jersey for ManU in 2005 season. Oh, and Faildhebar is captain. Horondus anthem singing voice directly to the TV. You could even hear players speaking on the field.

Posted by: TD | May 21, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Forgot to tape the CL. Oh well.

Posted by: RK | May 21, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

TD-keep us updated on that game. I wish i could watch, but im stuck at work for a few hours. anyone know a website i can follow that game?
Im leaving early to get to the bar for the champions league final. cant wait!

Posted by: adam | May 21, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

RK-
according to espnsoccernet.com the game will be re-aired @ 7 on espn2

Posted by: adam | May 21, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Way off topic here, but good ol' curmudgeonly Frank Deford is back at subtle soccer hating this morning - this time while talking about lacrosse. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90642119

Look at all us slobs, having interest in soccer's "mere footmanship."

Posted by: NW FC | May 21, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

There are reports coming out of Trinidad that the game with them and England might be canceled due to stadium issues & fees that have come up on Jack Warner overnight.

Posted by: Ben Canada | May 21, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

if you can get it, www.epsn360.com is showing the game online.

Posted by: kasdc | May 21, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

if you can get it, www.epsn360.com is showing the game online.

Posted by: kasdc | May 21, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

adam: that's right, thanks. I'll probably just follow along online depending on how work goes today. I'm less interested because it is the EPL...

Posted by: RK | May 21, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

err... espn360.com would prob work better. sorry for the double post.

Posted by: kasdc | May 21, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

adam. I feel you but I will as best i can. Although I don't know most of these young players. So far possesion has been mostly to Turks. Not convincing play from both sides thoug.

Posted by: TD | May 21, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Sammy Ochowo (sp) US shot missed badly, should have been an easy goal.

Posted by: TD | May 21, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Goal turks from corner kick.

Posted by: TD | May 21, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

That is awesome about T&T! I'd love to see it stuck to Jack Warner, what a absolute scumbag, it is a travesty to see this man with that much power.

Posted by: Felix | May 21, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Gungor in CD from Turkey scored on the 20th. They almost scored again.

Posted by: TD | May 21, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Can I also say how much I detest Jack Warner? Just in case it hasn't already been mentioned.

Posted by: Kev | May 21, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

----------------------

I just heard that story too and it's really awful. I was annoyed enough to write in to NPR, and I urge others to do the same at http://www.npr.org/contact/

Want motivation? He trotted out that tied joke "Why do so many American kids play soccer? So they don't have to watch it."

STFU old man.

Posted by: edgeonyou | May 21, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Frank discounts the fact that immigration tilts in soccer's favor and that as Americans continue to suffer financially, not everyone can attend the Gilman School like he did.

Pompous, arrogant, "Lax it up, Braaa", Baltimorons.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 21, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Turkey second goal #10 captain. Unlike our captain Faildhebar has not done anything.

Posted by: TD | May 21, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Ah, those young turks...

Posted by: RK | May 21, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Great quote here:

--------------
"We don't have any other choice," team captain Jaime Moreno said. "We do know that we are in a situation no one wants to be in."

Moreno, a 12-year veteran who was re-signed in part to facilitate the influx of the Latin American players, called the chemistry issue "a cheap excuse. It's very simple: We're not playing well, we're not getting results -- that's all that counts right now."
----------------

Posted by: DC | May 21, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

EUFA memo to member clubs:

"Dear Member Clubs,

If y'all wish to take part in the filthy lucre that is the Champions League, then please set aside the last Saturday in May/first Saturday in June for the final game. If this means y'all need to juggle your domestic schedules (or start earlier in August/September), well, them's the breaks.

Sincerely,

Michel 'Mad Dog' Platini"

-- Won't ever happen, but one can dare to dream, can't one?

Posted by: Juan-John | May 21, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Where ya'll catchin' the US/Turkey game?

Posted by: Dadryan | May 21, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Where ya'll catchin' the US/Turkey game?
_______________________________________

Doesn't sound like much of a game.

Posted by: btwiggy | May 21, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

the guy whatever he is saying on NPR is a stupid and ignorant so please don't react to his garbage. It's not worth a second to think. Everybody knows which sport is better so why bother upseting cluless articles. Let's sit back and enjoy our beautiful game, the MOST POPULAR SPORT IN THE WORLD.

Posted by: FC Arlington | May 21, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Now I can see why F'ber is not playing in Derby county. He is terrible.

Posted by: TD | May 21, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

FSC is carrying the US-turkey game

Posted by: Juan-John | May 21, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FC Arlington | May 21, 2008 10:34 AM
--------------------------------------

He is ignorant, however he is also one of the most respected sports commentators in the country. So it is worth reacting to with force and in numbers. The (bad) analogy would be if some respected journalist did an op-ed that was racist or whatever, would you simply say, "oh he's an idiot, don't worry, everyone 'knows' he's wrong"?

Posted by: edgeonyou | May 21, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Thnx Juan-John.
My neighbor's got FSC, and I know where they hide the keys, but the baby is sleeping...
Sometimes I have FSC envy. I guess that's less of a sin than some other things.
Here's to both United's getting a winning result today!

Posted by: Dadryan | May 21, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

are you kidding me? getting close to what, losing by only 1 goal? I'm tired of this lip service. it is time for results. comments like that make me sick. I know the media/people want quotes/sound bites, but the sports cliches are very tired. It is the same old stuff, day in and day out (for all sports). stop talking and start doing!!

Posted by: steve-o | May 21, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

What do you want him to 'do' between games?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

OT -- but Heather Mitts. News from WNT blog, which bodes well for Olympics.

"This being the beginning of a training camp, that of course means the team ran the Beep Test today. . . . .everyone did extremely well, including Heather O'Reilly and Heather Mitts, who seemed to be Cyborg fitness machines sent from the future to dominate the Beep Test. Mitts sweated and sprinted to the best score by far and probably one of the best marks in recent U.S. WNT history."

Posted by: Old WNT fan | May 21, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

===========================================

In Russia, the game is cancer on YOU!

Posted by: Yakoff Smirnoff | May 21, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Deford managed to praise Duke, bash soccer and patronize lacrosse all in one article. That's a hat-trick of d-baggery.

The only cliche bigger that bashing soccer is stating how lacrosse is growing beyond it's bounds. They've been saying that for 20 years now. It's a great game - just shut up and enjoy it Deford - a$$hat.

Posted by: Kev | May 21, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

In Russia, the game is cancer on YOU!

Posted by: Yakoff Smirnoff | May 21, 2008 11:01 AM

Best Soccer Insider comment ever

Posted by: Kev | May 21, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

oh boy...Turks thrid goal. Tow us defendars blocking the US keeper. Atleast US one goal. I missed this coz the repairman just came in. errr.

Posted by: TD | May 21, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I want to announce that Mike Viduka is coming to DC United. Here is the story: "http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/21/rumours.liverpooljuventus".

Posted by: Journalist from The Guardian | May 21, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

excuse my mistypes and spells ...I am multi tasking here.

Posted by: TD | May 21, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

RE: US-Turkey

Posted by: | May 21, 2008 10:49 AM
-----------------------------------

If you get a moment, this is worth watching if only for the brutal commentary from the Brits. Calling everyone out, especially Feilhaber... Best line I heard in the 10 minutes I've seen: "Another instantly forgettable touch from the USA."

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

thnx ano for the link

Posted by: Dadryan | May 21, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

you're welcome!
;)

Posted by: apqjr | May 21, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Journalist from The Guardian | May 21, 2008 11:10 AM

Mark's brother? Is he any good?

I kid, I kid :-)

Posted by: Kev | May 21, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

That old dinosaur is still alive? Huh, who'd a thunk it. I figured he was blowing spit bubbles at the old folks home. Maybe he should take a buy out like Kornhole.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | May 21, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Feilhaber playing like poo, takes a ding and is sub'ed off...

Posted by: edgeonyou | May 21, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Someone named Sammy Ochoa just scored for us in the 72nd minute: Now 3-2, Turkey

Posted by: Ameobi | May 21, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Stupid meetings. Don't folks know not to schedule meetings during the CL final? I mean come on--priorities people! Will miss the first half, oh well. I wonder if anyone would notice if I had my xm walkman on...

Posted by: Sec. 131 | May 21, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Ochoa's nice goal. He looks like Chivas goal keeper. US 2 Turkey 3 73rd

Posted by: TD | May 21, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Whoever said these commentators were bad wasn't telling the whole truth. The main play-by-play guy sounds like someone just killed his dog.

He's resorted to questing the American players names.

Posted by: Ameobi | May 21, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

TD - ManU's third jersey in 2005 and the current US jersey are somewhat similar, but definitely not the same jersey.

Posted by: apqjr | May 21, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Soccer Wednesday
2:45-Champions League
6 U11 practice
7 U14 Practice
~8:15 United(yeah for DVRs)

Posted by: John | May 21, 2008 9:36 AM

That's a good life, John. Well done.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 21, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

anyone else just have the audio drop for the US/Turkey game?

Posted by: apqjr | May 21, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

LOL...even Eurosport was getting sick of the commentary so they probably unplugged their microphone

Posted by: Ameobi | May 21, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Viduka? Wonderful, another forward who needs service to be effective on a DCU team that couldn't serve a ball if it was on a silver platter.

Posted by: Matte | May 21, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

My feed just tanked out. What happened?

Posted by: Ameobi | May 21, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Viduka??? That's got to be a true rumor and someone is joking. There is no way he is good here. We need someone who can score goals and runs fast or someone who can sell a lot of tickets. Without these two benefits anyone is wortless and waste of money and energy.

Posted by: FC Arlington | May 21, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry, Frank Deford will expire soon enough.

Posted by: Hoost | May 21, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Viduka could set picks for Niell to get off his jump shot?

Is that the idea?

Posted by: d, dc | May 21, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Viduka could set picks for Niell to get off his jump shot?

Is that the idea?

Posted by: d, dc | May 21, 2008 11:47 AM

Makes more sense than playing corners to Niell's head (see: half 2, Chivas away)

Posted by: Kev | May 21, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Between Emilio's "I'm not getting enough service" quote and his "I was injured, not benched" fantasy, I think Luci should take some advice from Moreno and quit with the "cheap excuses." Jaime shows class and takes responsibility while Emilio tries to foist it on his teammates.

A team can always afford get its forwards more service - the forwards can't afford squander the chances they do get though. Until Emilio admits that he's under-performing, I doubt he'll turn his game around...

Posted by: DCBird | May 21, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Emilio is trying to blame Gallardo saying he doesn't get service. He is a classless funk indeed. I think he can't stand the fact that he was MVP last year and United got Gallardo as DP. And Tommy rubbing Emilio's back.

Posted by: FC Arlington | May 21, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

hey anyone know of any bethesda-area bars that will be showing the cl final in high-def? thanks.

Posted by: longfellow | May 21, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: longfellow | May 21, 2008 12:41 PM

Bet that Union Jack's would be your best bet. But you could call Flanagans Harp and Fiddle as well, better bar - TVs not as nice. They'll have it on the projection screen.

Posted by: Kev | May 21, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Translation:

"10 players and a goalie."

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I am modifying my prediction a bit. No matter what happens tonight, if we lose or tie at home this saturday Soehn is out.

Likely he is going to throw this match anyway as he did @ Salt Lake. Tonight we have turf, and people not completely healthy.

Posted by: Ron | May 21, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

thanks kev

Posted by: longfellow | May 21, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

In case anyone cares to see my response to NPR...

I am a big fan of all NPR programs, and while I do not agree with every comment made I tend to let most things slide by as a simple difference in opinions. I am also a huge fan of Frank DeFord and find his sports commentary to be funny and entertaining. That said, in this morning's show he went out of his way to bash soccer, and in doing so craft fully compared it to - not any of the big sports in the US - but to lacrosse.

His double handed attempt to belittle the sport was rather amusing to me, because I was of the opinion that he knows what he normally talks about. It was discouraging to realize how wrong I was. He, like every other poorly informed soccer baser, used the weak, tried and tested reason that "there is not enough scoring in soccer". That simple minded defense/argument is something that soccer fans in the US are used to hearing - and in most cases that's the first flag that you are in a discussion with a simpleton that does not get the sport. But in some cases, some people do get the sport and just use that statement as a cheap ploy to kill a good argument/discussion. So that's not what did it for me in Frank's comments this morning.

His statement about "mere footman ship" is what really indicated that he had absolutely no idea, whatsoever, about the finer subtleties of soccer. Now that level of ignorance is what shocked me. I have always found it wiser to shut up and not say much about things of which I have no idea. Sometimes when we do less jabbering and try to listen, we can actually learn something.

I get it Frank, you don't like soccer and I am not interested in trying to get you to like it either. I was just shocked at the level of ignorance that you displayed in your commentary this morning. You came off as pompous and arrogant - which are qualities that are forgivable when complemented with knowledge. But alas, your points and arguments did you in, and made you come off as simple and petty.

I guess we can just chalk this up as another difference in opinion, but what hurts the most here is suffering through another Charlie Gibson moment. I guess I severely overstate my esteem of certain individuals. In any case, I'll still listen, but with a grain of salt, sir.

Posted by: Kosh | May 21, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Start with Payne - treat the disease not the symptoms.

Posted by: Doctor | May 21, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Frank Deford = Baltimoron

Frank Deford = Gilman School

Frank Deford = Princeton

Elitist with the silver spoon up his....

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 21, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I will try to watch the match at Ri-Ra in Bethesda.

4931 Elm St. West of Jaleo

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 21, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Kosh: That was a perfectly written response. Thank you.

Posted by: TD | May 21, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

lacrosse is an east coast sport. It will never be mainstream. all the top NCAA teams are east coast teams.

Posted by: lacrosse? | May 21, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Love those "soccer basers" with "footman ship" :)

Posted by: RK | May 21, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh crap. My bad. Oh well I hope there is enough content there to get my point across. :)

Posted by: Kosh | May 21, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm . . . . Supporter's Shield what? Who cares, it's all about the CUP!!! And using history as our guide, we should be odds on favorites . . .

1996 2-6-0 won MLS Cup

2004 2-3-3 won MLS Cup

I can't believe a full team that played so well against Pachuca can fall so flat and even talk about collapse. United is clearly capable of much more, it's time to start showing it . . .

Posted by: delantero | May 21, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lacrosse? | May 21, 2008 1:25 PM

This is why comments like Deford's are a shame. It just prompts more generalizing. Of course Al Gore invented the Internet for generalizations, but I digress.

Lacrosse has gotten bigger in the past 30 years - it's not sweeping the nation, but it's more widespread. Ohio State and Notre Dame made the quarter-finals of the tournament this year. Denver played Maryland close in round one. It's a cool sport with plenty of fans. It's cause was certainly not helped, nor does it need to be, by Deford's lame piece.

Posted by: Kev | May 21, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Start with Payne - treat the disease not the symptoms.

Posted by: Doctor | May 21, 2008 1:08 PM

What's with all the Payne hate and calls for resignation? He's not infallible and I'm sure some blame must be laid at his feet for the team's poor start, but where would the organization be now without him? Where would it go? What about the stadium? What about the club always being a positive force in the greater community?

Posted by: apqjr | May 21, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

@ RK
I have made the necessary corrections. Thanks for the catch.

@ TD
Welcome. Normaly that stuff does not bother me. However, in this case I had to say something, but then again I guess I did not reach the optimum calm down zone - thus, the slip of the hand that RK caught.

Embarrassing indeed. But it's all good.

Posted by: Kosh | May 21, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Teams for the Champs League Final

Manchester United: Van der Sar, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Hargreaves, Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez.

Subs: Kuszczak, Anderson, Giggs, Nani, O'Shea, Fletcher, Silvestre.

Chelsea: Cech, Essien, Terry, Carvalho, A Cole, Makelele, Ballack, Lampard, Malouda, J Cole, Drogba.

Subs: Cudicini, Shevchenko, Mikel, Kalou, Alex, Belletti, Anelka.

Posted by: Kev | May 21, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

To compare soccer and lacrosse in this country is foolish. The MLS is the 14th highest attended league in the world with an average attendance of 17,000

Major League Lacrosse only averages 4,300 per game.

Posted by: Ameobi | May 21, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

The comments from the coach and the players sound like a replay of last season's end. I am tired of hearing all of it. They are professionals go play professionally and get the job done. If the people that post here perform their own jobs like DCU and they would not still be working.

Posted by: Randy | May 21, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

ESPN2 is showing pre Champions League game now.

Posted by: FC Arlington | May 21, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Goff, have you heard anything about the rumors that the Quakes made a two-for-one deal?

Posted by: Danny | May 21, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Clarence Seedorf is sitting in the booth with Darek Rae and Tommy Smith in Moscow commentating.

Posted by: TD | May 21, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Steve - any way you can have your web gurus set it up so links open in a separate window?

Posted by: Brian | May 21, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

two-for-one deal? elaborate please.

Posted by: downtown | May 21, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

@downtown
That's the deal where we give them Niell and get Clark and DeRo plush cash.

@Randy
You mean to tell me you don't get a raise for putting in a cruddy job and basically being a no show? Man you MUST work for the wrong organization.

Posted by: Kosh | May 21, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brian | May 21, 2008 2:05 PM
=========================================

Many browsers permit you to do this yourself by right-clicking.

Posted by: tri-village | May 21, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

You're in charge of security at the stadium in Moscow. You're told it's two English teams. "And by the way, Dmitri, kickoff will be at 10:45."
Good luck, comrade.
Maybe they've freed up some petrodollars to help pay for the overtime.

Posted by: gringo | May 21, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I know Payne - he is the disease.

Posted by: InsideDCU | May 21, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Game on....

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know the average TV ratings that the UCL final generally gets? I know it's gotta be kinda big (obviously dwarfing the pointy-ball SuperBowl), but...

Posted by: Juan-John | May 21, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

this is an interesting list of the most watched sporting evente:

Posted by: bribri | May 21, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

GOOOOOOOAL Cristiano Ronaldo!!! 26' minute!!!

Posted by: 135 | May 21, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

GO UNITED !!! I just hope im celebrating DC United goals 2night as i am now with Manchester United!!!!

Posted by: 135 | May 21, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Very interesting list. I'm surprised the CL final was that low.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 21, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

DAMN Chelsea ties the game lampard 45' minute!!

Posted by: 135 | May 21, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

anyone know anything about Shola Ameobi, who may go to TFC?

...I'd love to hear about some great DCU prospects up front. But I ain't holding my breath.

Posted by: downtown | May 21, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I know Payne - he is the disease.

Posted by: InsideDCU | May 21, 2008 2:42 PM

Bitter (Ex)employee? Thanks for the insider info. :)

Posted by: apqjr | May 21, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

this is an interesting list of the most watched sporting evente:
Posted by: bribri | May 21, 2008 3:07 PM
==========
This is way back in 2004. This can not be now because I heard just for the English Premier League final this month alone watched by more than 400 million worldwide. That's a rough estimate and do not count every individual. They are estimating by household. Imagine every bar has how many people watching.

Posted by: td | May 21, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Let's count on the second half but if United does't win they have themselves to blame. Two golden chances blown by Tevez and Carrick. Straight to the goal keeper. Why can't be to the side a bit? And mess by defendars.

Posted by: td | May 21, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Y'all are disillusioned on Kevin Payne.

Like him or not - the only way he goes is with a buyout from Victor, Will, and those Blue Dumies who are off doing God knows what (probably hiding from creditors for debts owed on their real estate developers).

Kevin Payne has an equity stake in the team - so unless the team is sold - he's here.

Dave Kasper is the talent finding guru.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 21, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

US Men lose in Toulon Cup to Turkey 3 - 2. Housecleaning needed at US MNT HQ - anyone who had anything to do with putting that embarassing squad of kickballers together needs to go back to Rec League administration where they belong.

Tevez should hope he didn't burn bridges at West Ham - after missing 2 first half sitters, the choke artist may have played his last game for Man Utd.

Posted by: Hmmm | May 21, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMPARD!!!! Chelsea very lucky to get out of that half tied...my boys got dominated in every aspect. Hopefully they come out with some fire in the 2nd half. Why do I have to be at work right now? WHY?!?!?!?!

Posted by: Sam | May 21, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Very interesting list. I'm surprised the CL final was that low.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 21, 2008 3:26 PM

2004 might not be the best example, since the CL Final was played between two relatively unglamorous clubs. Match today will do a big number worldwide - and I think ESPN will be happy here too. Not Super Bowl big worldwide though, this was a big year for that event. 97 million in the US alone.

Posted by: Kev | May 21, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hmmm | May 21, 2008 3:49 PM

Youth tournament in preparation for a youth tournament. Yawn.

Posted by: Kev | May 21, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm really shocked to see me writing this about a Chelsea game -- The refereeing has been very bad and has taken the game AWAY from Chelsea. The linesman on the near side has been the absolute worst. No close offsides plays for him to screw up, but he's gotten every thing else wrong -- or, at least hasn't been aggressive enough to correct the referee, who really is getting the calls all wrong.

A poor second half for Man Utd. -- utterly forgettable.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 21, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Poor poor finished by Giggs. That was another golden chance. Chelsea has two unlucky strikes on goal.

Posted by: td | May 21, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Anyone calling for Payne's head is a johnny-come-lately with little understanding of this club's history and past success.

Posted by: get real | May 21, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

John Terry is a football god. The best defender I've seen. Reminds me of that incredible play he made in the World Cup to kick the ball off the line.

Vidic is pretty good, too. What a play to dispossess Kalou.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 21, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

*Victor is on WSJ page C1 today. Seems DCU is the least of his current problems. Google Landsource MacFarlane & Calpers.

*Drogba, Zinedane. Straight red in the finals. "That ain't the way to have fun, son."

Posted by: Old WNT Fan | May 21, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

... And 75 million toilets just flushed around the world.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 21, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

And Terry chokes just when Chelsea needs him the most. Dammit.

Posted by: Sam | May 21, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Even a football god can be undone by slick turf....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 21, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

One hell of a way to win/lose a football match...

Posted by: Juan-John | May 21, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

1-1, United win on penalties...zzzzz....

Roll on the more exciting playoff finals this weekend.

Posted by: Kev | May 19, 2008 3:55 PM

What do I win? ;-)

Posted by: Kev | May 21, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I just won $5000 thanks to ManU. Yea baby!!!!

Posted by: The winner of $5000 | May 21, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

One hell of a way to lose a job!

Posted by: Avram Grant | May 21, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

*Crying tears of joy*

Posted by: Red Devil | May 21, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Champoins MANCHESTER UNITED!!!!! Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Van Dersar THE HERO. Ronaldo missed the pk but he did scored and therefore kept them in the game.

Posted by: TD | May 21, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Chelsea did really good. I don't think there is any sports in the world the as stressful as football is. My heart was pumping so hard and fast I thought I would have an heart attack. I just had to look away from the screen for a while. Nothing can compare the sporting like this. This is why football is the most beautiful and exciting game in the world. Wow. Just Wow.

Posted by: TD | May 21, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Vivic and Drog will be personal enemy.

Posted by: TD | May 21, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Russ Thealar (sp) from comcast will be online about discussing why Soccer will not be as popular as other parts of the world. go try

Posted by: TD | May 21, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Dear Chelsea FC and John Terry:

Now you know how it feels.

Sincerely,

Florida State University

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 21, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

==========================================

This was a deliberate decision by Nowak to have a look at people who are on the bubble in terms of possibly being included in the squad that travels to China. Nothing of importance is at stake in this tournament. The Olympics are everything at this point.

Posted by: tri-village | May 21, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Actually Chelesa did not do "really good". They did really well.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Interesting list of 2004 sporting events. I couldn't find a listing for 2006 or 2002, when the WC final would have shown up. I didn;t see Lacrosse,though.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 21, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse