Morrow Out in Dallas

Internal issues and poor results have spelled the end for FC Dallas Coach Steve Morrow. The club was 0-3-1 and outscored 8-2 in the past four matches, including a 5-1 defeat at home against Los Angeles on Sunday.

"We have set high standards, expectations, and goals for this team and organization," GM Michael Hitchcock said. "I feel that the team was not heading in the direction we had planned, and believe it is in the best interest of the club to make a coaching change at this time."
"I have thoroughly enjoyed my six year association with this organization and was proud to be Head Coach of FC Dallas," said Morrow. "I feel I leave the team in a very strong position with a wonderful group of players that are capable of achieving great things. Due to a recent run of poor results, I fully accept responsibility, and, if the team needs to go in a different direction then I wish the players nothing but great success for the remainder of the season and beyond."

Click here for more details.

By Steve Goff  |  May 20, 2008; 1:50 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU Update
Next: USA Roster for England Friendly

Comments

is the deathwatch on for Tommy?

Posted by: downtown | May 20, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Tommy has to be praying to baby jebsus that he turns this around. Otherwise, its over.

Posted by: strago | May 20, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

you know whos next if we dont get a result this week!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: chris | May 20, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

payne?

Posted by: mizage | May 20, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

downtown, are you kidding?

are soccer balls round?

Posted by: Ron | May 20, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Will FC Dallas hire Hugo Sanchez?

Posted by: Bring him back | May 20, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"Are you watching Un-i-ted?
Are you watching?
Are you watching?
Are you watching United??"

Posted by: Kosh | May 20, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Huzzah!

Here to a club that knows when to pull the trigger.

I recommend the DCU ownership sit on a comfy couch, watch some Josey Wales, read a Guns & Ammo, and learn to pull the trigger.

This the the pros, after all. Publish or perish in academic-speak. Win or walk.

Posted by: Erick | May 20, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Have any Mexican managers ever expressed any interest in coming north to bring some of their approach to the game?

Do you think that Spencer Spencer gets a call to sit at the head of the other Texas Club?

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 20, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

That was unexpected. I thought the first one would be TS. Maybe because I don't read Dallas news or blogs but I haven't heard any rumblings about him.

Posted by: td | May 20, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Thank God someone had the balls to do this.

Even without Ruiz, Dallas has way too much talent to be playing like they did on Sunday.

Posted by: Shmenge | May 20, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

this is sort of too bad. I always liked the way Morrow played and his calm demeanor on the bench. Maybe he was too calm and placid. He looked cerebral with his little Euro glasses.

Without at least a win this week I think the time will be up for Soehn. But the question still remains with respect to who would replace him. You can't just fire the guy without some one lined up to take over.

Posted by: Glenn | May 20, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Prediction... at least 4 points from this Toronto-Toronto week or Soehn goes on the dole with Morrow. Thoughts?

Posted by: Kev | May 20, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

No, to Morrow.

Posted by: punderful | May 20, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Internal issues and poor results have spelled the end for DC Uniet Coach Tom Sohen. The club was 0-3-0 and outscored 7-1 in the past three matches, including a 2-0 defeat at home against the Chicago fire and letting a lead slip in the last 25 minuted of the game against Chivas Usa !!!

That should have been the Headline

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

The Sohen headline was mine !!!

Posted by: 135 | May 20, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

What good is it to call for Tommy's head? Unless you have a much better coach lined up, sacking TS will only add to chaos that this team is suffering under.

DCU is suffering from a loss of heart (Olsen), injuries (Fred, McT, prev. Gallardo), and a patchwork of players who are just getting to know each other (the celebrated, off-season player-for-player swaps).

What we need is a little consistency. How 'bout a single, healthy starting lineup for at least three matches? Long enough to establish a system of play, please!

Not every losing streak is about the coach. Throwing TS out at this point would just dig the hole deeper.

Posted by: verse | May 20, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

There's an IKEA down the street from Pizza Hut Park - clearly a plus for Sven Goran Eriksson to come to Frisco.

Posted by: AM | May 20, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Let's get english for a minute.

(to the tune of "Tomorrow")

The hammer'll fall
Tom Soehn
Bet your bottom dollar
That Tom Soehn
Will be gone!

Just thinkin' about
Tom Soehn
Makes you curse loud
and pull you hair out,
'Til there's none!

United's stuck in rut
That's gray,
And lonely,
They should get stuck in
And Grin,
And Say,
D'Oh! [unprintable expletive]

The coach will be gone
Tom Soehn
No chance ya' hang on
'Til tomorrow
Come what may

Tom Soehn! Tom Soehn!
I'll miss ya, Tom Soehn!
You're going to go
A-way!

Posted by: Erick | May 20, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

AM,

Why would you want a coach named after a medium-quality nightstand?

Posted by: Erick | May 20, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey, if you can put together a dresser, you can probably put together a MLS team.

Plus, it's a medium quality team.

Posted by: AM | May 20, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Verse, sometimes sacking a coach can work wonders. There are some things wrong with United this season that should be fixable: namely poor defensive organization and the play of frequent aimless balls.

To that end, you gotta wonder what the coaches are telling the guys in practice. Plus, Soehn's litany of "not enough effort" doesn't really hold water after this much time. If you haven't been able to motivate them to work harder at this point then you won't. OR, more likely, that was never the problem.

If nothing else sacking the coach sends a message to the players that performance is required. Salary cap rules prohibit you from overhauling a roster mid-season. But you can get your message across loud and clear.

Posted by: Matte | May 20, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh the sorrow
For Morrow
Not even Clarence Darrow
Or Mia Farrow
Could quarrow
When the mark of Zorro
Is on your head.

Dudes, would you believe I just made that up?!

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 20, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

yeh - looks like it.

Posted by: poet | May 20, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

JOe Doc u r amazing can i get ur autograph plz? Lol

Posted by: 135 | May 20, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Verse, I hear ya but we ain't gonna get any consistecy as long as Gallardo is getting killed out there and now that teams have seen what were like without Fred and McTavish...guess what? Thems is fair game too. Sooooo, the question becomes, can Soehn do the business with what will be available during stretches of the long season and three tournaments? I think we already have the answer to that. Don't you agree?

Posted by: Kosh | May 20, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. I'm no Erick.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 20, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Both of you have too much time on your hands.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 20, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Any chance that KP and DK were scouting coaches as well during their last trip to South America?

Posted by: N. Daknow | May 20, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I seem to remember tommy having problems getting the team to perform last year. I think a team meeting and a group heart to heart was what it took to turn the team around. I also remember Ben Olsen talking about how ridiculous it was to need that to get the team to do its job.

Anyway, I like Tommy. I think he is doing what he can with the team. The guys have had a series of difficult situations and injuries that don't help. In addition, DCU has new keepers, central defenders, and a new playmaker who plays with a completely different style than the previous one.

If we do get a new coach, let him be Dutch. If we can't win, at least let us play pretty.

Posted by: bribri | May 20, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Rumors were flying that Morrow had a mutiny on his hands (cue Tampa Bay joke). It's a shame, because I think Steve Morrow is a very good coach.

I don't think Soehn is in Morrow's position.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 20, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

wRongen was Dutch. That wasn't pretty.

asitis

Posted by: asitis | May 20, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Bribri, do you not remember our previous Dutch coach? Good guy, bad coach.

Posted by: short memory.... | May 20, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

The world is full of binary choices...either keep what you have or replace it with something that's hopefully better. Many people (including many posters here) are willing to replace something without having something better lined up. If FC Dallas wants to play the "what have you done for me lately" game with its coach, as is prevalent among European clubs, that's their call. I hope DCU will act more thoughtfully and rationally.

Posted by: BillyBob | May 20, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Billybob, there's no need for your well reasoned, logical arguments here, this is the interweb.

[sarcasm]

Posted by: JkR | May 20, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Can someone explained to me what Soehn has done in his career to make anyone conclude he is a superior option to Arena?

Posted by: kjm | May 20, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Matte: I agree, but I worry that in this case, we're in need of consistency more than anything. At this point, I feel sure that the players already know that performance is required!

Kosh: Also agreed, but if our talent remains on the injury list all season, I'm not sure a new coach will change our fate. Might argue for someone who has a particular talent for rebuilding the team for next year, but that's throwing in the towel on '80. I'm not sure we're there yet.

I'm hoping that we're coming to an end of our injury woes, which would allow us to consolidate around a solid starting 11. If that's the case, we could be seeing a turnaround before too long.

To be honest, if we truly need to shake things up, I'd send Emilio packing before Sohn. Not because he's in a slump, but because he doesn't work well with Gallardo. We need to build around our playmaker, and unless Emilio learns to mesh, we could spend his salary in better ways. I love the guy, but he's an expensive weak link in our fledgling system of play.

Posted by: verse | May 20, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Did Morrow bring in Denilson?

Posted by: Ron | May 20, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

If McTavish and Fred come back and turn this thing around, Soehn keeps his job.

If they continue to flail, they'll make a change.

You idiots calling for Payne's head are stupid. We continue to have the best front office in the league.

Posted by: delantero | May 20, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Soehn win the Supporters' Shield last year?

Posted by: RK | May 20, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Payne sucks. We sure don't look like we have the best front office in the league right now.
He sucked on Wa Post Live and he is afraid to take any blame for the mess the team is in.
I'd love to see him back on the show with someone who'll really pull his card. I think Russ gave it a shot and KP blushed. Or is his face always that Red?

Posted by: Dadryan | May 20, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Soehn-Long, Tommy, We Hardly Knew Ya

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 20, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | May 20, 2008 4:30 PM

Word.

Posted by: JkR | May 20, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Soehn win the Supporters' Shield last year?
--------------------------------

That and a buck-fifty'll get you a cheeseburger at Mickey D's.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 20, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Or entry into 2 international tournaments and a nice addition to the trophy case.

Posted by: JkR | May 20, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

my bad on the Dutch coach request. I was just thinking in general about the Dutch mantra of playing beautiful before playing to win.

Re; KP. I'd have to say that it would be folly to get rid of him. DCU has the best FO in the league and KP has been a huge part of that.

Posted by: bribri | May 20, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

There's just no comparison, resume for resume. Arena is on a far higher level as a coach than Tommy Soehn. If DC has an opportunity to make the switch -- and I feel certain it does, for an admittedly high price -- it should do so. Not just for this year, but for the next 2-3.

Posted by: kjm | May 20, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if Danny Snyder buys DCU, he'll hire Arena back.

Posted by: RK | May 20, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Not the best timing...behindthebadge w/ an article on some DCU players hitting the links today.

Posted by: RK | May 20, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

We really have to start taking the draft more seriously. We give draft picks away like they are candy (dare I say the D word?) and come draft day we burn our selections on pure head scratchers. I know that the draft is a crapshoot but some great to decent gems have been unearthed by other clubs in the draft. We're supposed to have this database (video collection?) on second and third team players in Argentina, but it seems like we always miss out on some decent talent in the draft that other teams pick up and make starters of or excellent subs.

What am I missing here? Are we picking good talent and could it just be the system? If we had, say a Dempsey, or a Parkhurst, would they have struggled to become big chips in our system like the Cordieros of the world?

Or do we just go through the motions when it comes to the draft? Meaning if a Niell was in the draft would we have still picked him anyways?

Posted by: Kosh | May 20, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Kosh, you made me look at the last few drafts. It isn't pretty.

Posted by: RK | May 20, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Draft? Like B Carroll, Boswell, McTavish? Plus a fair number of the reserve squad. However, even the best of them are NOT ready to make a contribution in the first season. Boswell the exception.

The NCAA League /= professional leagues in Argentina.

YMMV.

Posted by: JkR | May 20, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

They need to bring a foreign coach that speaks Spanish. How many other MLS team have coaches from another country? LA, NY, NE, Chicago, Columbus, Toronto, Houston, others??? We need the international influence and speaking Spanish and English would help bridge the gap.

Posted by: Himes | May 20, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Soehn speaks another language!

Posted by: RK | May 20, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I am still wondering how KP could be fartin' around down in Argentina and attending the superclasico while his team is teetering on the rocks... That's all I'm sayin'. Then he comes back and won't take a bit of the blame for shaking things up and it not working out yet. Weak.

Posted by: Dadryan | May 20, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Why should KP take blame for the team's situation? None of the players are stepping up and taking any blame. The quotes I've seen read "WE are making mistakes. WE are not playing well enough. WE are blah, blah, blah." Spread the blame and take no responsibility. Where is the leader on the team that steps up and says "I am not doing enough. I am making stupid plays and mistakes. I need to get better and kick the team into performing better."?

Posted by: DC Fan | May 20, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Soehn win the Supporters' Shield last year?
--------------------------------

That and a buck-fifty'll get you a cheeseburger at Mickey D's.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 20, 2008 4:45 PM

I'm a dollar menunaire . . . for that I can get a double cheeseburger and change.

Posted by: Ronald McKoeman | May 20, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm really glad DCU is not a democratic institution and that Goff's blog is not it's polling booth.

Please now return to your regularly scheduled Tommy Soehn effigy hanging.

Posted by: viv | May 20, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I think Quaranta has half admitted getting beat on the field.
Someone has to man up and then we can let the healing begin.
Will the real Emilio please stand up!?
Here's to hoping Fred and McT get back on the map tommorow night.

Posted by: Dadryan | May 20, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

When we take the MLS Cup and advance in the Champions League, I'll remember all of you .. .

much like last year when people said fire the front office, Soehn, etc.

Soehn didn't cover Mapp. Payne can't put in Emilio's sitter against Pachuca.

And for all the gripes against certain new players, who else would the mob calling for severed heads wanted in their place?

Posted by: delantero | May 20, 2008 5:50 PM

Posted by: del | May 20, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

What difference does it make whether the players admitted to make mistakes or not. Collectively not working well right now and they are admitting that. It will not solve the problem just because someone says "oh it's my fault". They will get better. Take my word. One month from now we all be talking about how great this team and the brilliant the FO is.

Posted by: same | May 20, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

i will take over.

trust me i will teach them to play together or get out.

My team would be afraid to come to the locker room after that disgrace on saturday night.

Heart, screw heart, fear of failure is what they need. they have no heart and aren't afraid to fail.

Posted by: vasco | May 20, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

"10 players and a goalie"... plus a new coach. Maybe a change is needed seeing how nobody seems to have a clue how to end this funk other than playing harder. If Soehn goes I won't lose any sleep but fuggin KP better make the right choice as honestly his arse ought to be held accountable for the mess DCU is in right now. Arena is a name but other than that any other names getting thrown around? Next 2 games must get points (4) aor at least a win if not the death watch can begin.....2 Toronto losses and that's all she wrote....

Posted by: GLOVE | May 20, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bribri | May 20, 2008 3:56 PM

Sexy Football? But Ruud Gullit is already in LA...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 20, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Same
_______________________________________

I would suggest that by not taking individual responsibility, the players are actually blaming someone else on the team for their failures. Maybe internally, they are accepting their own failures and mistackles, misshots, missteps, missed marks, etc... but in their public statements, the blame is falling on the "team" and not on their individual performances. They won't get better as a team until each of them step up their own games and decide that they are going to fix their own games.

The good thing is that it is still pre-season. A solid run of games and DC United is back in the thick of it. The way MLS is currently structured, you don't even have to make .500 to make the playoffs and it is better to lose a lot early than late. So, in August if we have to win all our games to make the playoffs, I'll be worried, until then, zzzzzzzzzzz....

Posted by: DC Fan | May 20, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh know! Dallas fired their coach first! That means Dallas might beat us in the race to hire Jose Mourinho.

Kidding!

Seriously though... Assuming Soehn gets fired, which is a really big assumption... Who ever would have thought that Steve Morrow and Tom Soehn would both get fired before Fernando Clavijo?

Posted by: DCUMD | May 20, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

BRING BACK DAVE! The only Dallas coach to win silverware.

OK, I'm kidding. Maybe.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 20, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Dallas should fire their goalkeeper too while they are at it. Sala might be the most lackadaisical player in this whole lazy league, and he practically ushered the ball into his own net on Sunday. LA can't score five goals without some help.

Clavijo's continued tenure is certainly a surprise to me. But you can't blame the front office there, because they have to do all that office work at high altitude.

Fire Soehn already. At this point, the TS effigy has more solutions (self-immolation) than the real TS (um, nothing). It's 1:0. TS is on the wrong end of a clean sheet again!

Posted by: black shirt | May 20, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Tell "Verse"--did you see the game between DC UNITED and ChivasUSA? T.Soehn was OUT-COACHED" when Preki did came out in the 2nd half. I am sorry, but Soehn was given a NOVAK team that believed they could win. I don't think Coach Soehn has gotten the concept. Not, when you hear his reactions.
Does he "have" to use Dyachenko-who is useless--or does the mgnmet tell him to use him--it's weird his subsitutions--especially agains LA. But, did you see that Burch, Sims, and Wells stunk up the place? Or, is everbody blaming Martinez?

Posted by: Leo | May 20, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be great if Kevin Payne was fired?

Posted by: Wishing | May 21, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse