Quick DCU Update

*Defender Gonzalo Peralta's wife is expected to give birth soon and, although he is not scheduled to travel with the team to Boston today, he could rejoin the club tomorrow before kickoff.

*Rookie midfielder Ryan Cordeiro has been promoted from the lower developmental to the senior developmental roster, taking the retired Jeff Curtin's slot.

*Because of a reserve match Friday morning at Foxborough, all the young players are headed north.

*Team captain Jaime Moreno, on the new stadium prospects: "We just want a stadium, plain and simple. ... Until we see the first work being done, then we can believe it."

Added Coach Tom Soehn: "I've got so much else to worry about, I haven't even seen that [story in The Post]. Right now we've got to focus on making sure we turn things around as a team. The stadium stuff would be a blessing, but right now we have to focus on the real issue, which is winning ballgames."

Don't forget to join me for an online chat at washingtonpost.com at 1 p.m.

By Steve Goff  |  May 28, 2008; 11:58 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lots of Soccer
Next: Matchday: USA-England

Comments

Rev game will be a good test of where we are with the alleged turnaround.

Posted by: Ron | May 28, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Jaime gets it right

Posted by: HulkHogan | May 28, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear TS is working the team and not reading the paper, I guess.

Posted by: DCBird | May 28, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I agree with both statements. This will be a good test to see how far we have turned around.

Though, with Wells in goal, I am unsure that this will be a solid determination. If we had a solid Keeper, I believe, these talks may not be so rampid and our standing would be quite different.

Posted by: dogboy | May 28, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"Ballgames"

Why is the coach referring to soccer matches as ballgames?

I know it's a subtlety, and I'll get flamed for suggesting he's silly for using that term (note: it's not like I'm asking him to refer to the game as "football"). But the guy's been around the pro level enough to know that we don't play "ballgames".

Posted by: Anonymous | May 28, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

re "ballgames." relax man. it is just a word. Soccer/football/futbol is a game played with a ball.

Posted by: steve-o | May 28, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Soehn is just channeling Jon Miller with his "ballgames" remark. Some one should link to that old NASL video again so we can hear Mr. Miller repeatedly refer to the upcoming match as a "ballgame". Very funny. Poor old baseball guy.

Posted by: Glenn | May 28, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Where is the best place to watch the USA Englad friendly (its on ESPN Classic). I notice its on at Lucky Bar but my experience there lead me to beleive it might be rather crowded. Thoughts, suggestions??? thanks

Posted by: sevillista | May 28, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Man, who's taking longer to have their baby... Mrs. Peralta or Bonnie from Family Guy?

Posted by: Kev | May 28, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

All the best for Gonzalo, Mrs. Peralta and their soon-to-arrive baby. A joyous occasion, indeed.

If it's a boy, I like "Golazo" as a name. Or Bob.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 28, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Better pitching will win us more ballgames.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 28, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing wrong with our pitching. We're not scoring enough.

By the way. anyone have a clue what dogboy means by "rampid"?

Posted by: Ray Knight | May 28, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

About Tommy's ballgame.

I think it has to do with your mind set. Let me explain, when I talk to my friends that may or may not play soccer I say "today I'm going to play ball" some think basketball some think baseball but for me it will always be soccer. I never think do they know what I mean. For me playing ball is only soccer.

It might be the same for him a ball game would never be baseball for him its soccer. It't the only ball game he plays. Maybe I'm wrong and hes crazy.

Let's play some good "ball: on Thursday, and win.

Aguante United!

Posted by: Sysco76 | May 28, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Even if he was having a great year there's not much chance of Soehn coaching in the new stadium... that's well past the average tenure of an MLS coach.

Posted by: bbarrie | May 28, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

re: rampid

I think he meant 'Rampant'

Posted by: bribri | May 28, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I stopped using the word ball when referring to soccer and started saying Buckministerfullerene to be more specific. Then Adidas came out with that Deutschgeist or whatever it is and now I don't know what to say. Icosapaneledsphere?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 28, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"Rampid" -- rabid, rampant, rapid, ramped, raid -- a riddle wrapped in an enigma.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 28, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Brian McBride leaving Fulham for MLS...

Posted by: Kev | May 28, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

bhtb has a photo of ben olsen training. see him soon maybe?

Posted by: gilbert | May 28, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Brian McBride leaving Fulham for MLS...

Posted by: Kev | May 28, 2008 1:56 PM
============

The article states that he's leaving Fulham. The MLS part is just speculation.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 28, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Here's a better article, from the Fulham website. It states that he's leaving to return to America.

Posted by: Hokie | May 28, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Lucky bar may be less crowded than you think. Especially since they make you smoke outside these days.

Posted by: Dadryan | May 28, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Any replays of the game planned on any channels?

Posted by: Stuck at Work | May 28, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

so with peralta jr being a us citizen by birth - will peralta sr be far behind?

Posted by: pjb | May 28, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Any replays of the game planned on any channels?

Posted by: Stuck at Work | May 28, 2008 2:34 PM

7pm on Galavision

Posted by: Kev | May 28, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

At wembley. Magnificent atmosphere. Adu has reg jersey; possibly starting? 15 min to start. Terry looks fully fit; shame for our forwards. Ferdinand is just huge in person. We have a lot more peoiple kicking around than can be on the bench...did our spain team also get to hang around?

Posted by: troy | May 28, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Any chance McBride lands in DC ???

Posted by: Steve | May 28, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Donovan not playing tonight, out with groin injury.
(insert joke here)

Posted by: Red Devil | May 28, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Methinks McBride heads to Chicago....

Posted by: PotomacBoater | May 28, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Any chance McBride lands in DC ???

Posted by: Steve | May 28, 2008 2:49 PM

I think Chicago are heavy favorites - and they have a DP slot left.

Posted by: Kev | May 28, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Any replays of the game planned on any channels?

Posted by: Stuck at Work | May 28, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Kelly rowland does the anthem? Hmmm. Don't know who the british women were. Pearce starts? Clark? Wow.

Posted by: troy | May 28, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | May 28, 2008 1:45 PM

Keep that "enigma" stuff between you and your doctor. Sheesh.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 28, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

If McBride goes to Chicago I would like to get Dichio. Gallardo would be bouncing balls off his shiny head into the net from every conceivable angle, and probably some inconceivable ones. Or maybe Niell can shave his head and strap on a pair of those carbon springs like the South African sprinter dude.

Posted by: Old WNT fan | May 28, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I think DC United should have a rule that the players wives are not allowed to have babies during the MLS season.

Posted by: Mean DC United Fan | May 28, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

um, meant Toronto not chicago. they have mcbride's rights

Posted by: OWNTF | May 28, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Isn't "senior developmental" an oxymoron? Congrats to Cordeiro on the $4800 raise.

Posted by: DCUMD | May 28, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

old WNT fan Niells got crazy hops unfortunately it's done nothing for him. If you search the Behind the badge deal far enough you should find a great picture of the Argentine Spud Web gettin' some ups...
One more time: Toronto still sucks!

Posted by: Dadryan | May 28, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

If United loses, Mrs. Peralta is my scapegoat.

Posted by: Glaucon | May 28, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse