Ramblin' Man

Tryin' to make a livin' and doin' the best I can

Off to Los Angeles soon for DCU's match at Chivas USA tomorrow night.

Before I depart, a few offerings.....

*The USA player pool has been announced for the three upcoming friendlies against England, Spain and Argentina. The game-day roster for the first match, vs. England, will be announced next week. The European-based players are the core of the team and in-season MLS players will come and go, depending on their schedule and the circumstances.

GOALKEEPERS: Dominic Cervi (Out of Contract), Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton FC), Troy Perkins (Valerenga IF), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake).

DEFENDERS: Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham FC), Dan Califf (FC Midtjylland), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Jay DeMerit (Watford FC), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege), Michael Orozco (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United).

MIDFIELDERS: Freddy Adu (SL Benfica), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Derby County), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Eddie Lewis (Derby County), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids).

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (New York Red Bulls), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Kenny Cooper (FC Dallas), Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Nate Jaqua (Out of Contract), Eddie Johnson (Fulham FC), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), Josh Wolff (1860 Munich).

*Links to my Luciano Emilio story; Brazil's roster for upcoming matches, including a pair in the United States; Deco's next destination; Cristiano Ronaldo's La Liga dreams; and the USA women's friendlies against Brazil.

*Video highlights from Colorado's 2-0 victory over visiting RSL.

Copa Libertadores: America 2, Santos 0

By Steve Goff  |  May 16, 2008; 7:36 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cordeiro's Time?
Next: Greetings From L.A.

Comments

Good story this morning and be safe Goff!

Posted by: Section 130 | May 16, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

It is 8:12AM and I'm still recovering from that soccer "game" between Colorado and Salt Lake. We lost to those guys?

Posted by: Hoost | May 16, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

No DCU players -- maybe their schedule will line up with teams missing some key players.

Posted by: RK | May 16, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

DECO for DC!!!

Posted by: Matthai | May 16, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Several former DC United players.

Posted by: Curious | May 16, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

No disrespect to Troy, but if we're going to have a keeper from the Norwegian league in the pool, it should be Adin Brown. Not that it matters in the end.

Posted by: philofutbol | May 16, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Eddie Johnson? Really? Still? What for? What does that guy have to do to lose his spot in the squad?

Posted by: Jeff M | May 16, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

The Player Pool of 33 guys will likely feature about 22 on the game-day roster for each friendly.

Currently the 33 are made of a 13 guys in MLS, 18 players with contracts to foreign clubs, and 2 players out of contract.

Posted by: composition | May 16, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Does a National Team call up help those guys who are out of contract, or perhaps are nearing the end of their contract and are looking to strengthen their negotiations? Or is it a negative?

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 16, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Why is Nate Jaqua out of contract? Also, why do we refuse to call in Nevan Subotic to the senior squad?

Posted by: BB17 | May 16, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Look at all the U23s:

* Cervi
* Seitz
* Orozco
* Spector
* Adu
* Bradley
* Edu
* Feilhaber
* Gaven
* Kljestan
* Altidore
* Rogers

For those lamenting the lack of an Olympic warmup camp, we seem to be getting it here.

Posted by: S | May 16, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

plenty of muppets on that squad..

Posted by: mizage | May 16, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

What's a muppet? That word seems to have no descriptive value beyond "me no like."

Posted by: S | May 16, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Feilhaber? A guy who can't get minutes for the practically the worst team in Premier League history? A guy who doesn't even play for a team that would have struggled in the Championship?

I trust that he won't make a final roster, but he shouldn't even be on a short list...

Posted by: chuckles | May 16, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

i apologize..I've been listening to brits too much recently..it's used as a derogatory term. I've nothing against the "muppets" per say, but i wouldn't want them running my web servers or orchestrating my central defence.

Posted by: mizage | May 16, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

plenty of muppets on that squad..

Posted by: mizage | May 16, 2008 9:18 AM
==========

I have no problem with that, if they play like Animal.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 16, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

"the USA women's friendlies against Brazil."

OK. Now that Dodge SUV commercial seems less whimsical and more like a piece of the overall corporate marketing machination.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 16, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Frankie Hejduk? Really? Hasn't his time passed? We have such a plethora of young talented options now at right back (Pearce, Spector, and obviously Cherundolo) who could use more international experience against good teams. I would hate to see Hejduk get any minutes ahead of Spector or Pearce.

Some good forward options. Nice to see Kenny Cooper back involved in the national scene. The negativity towards Feilhaber is unnecessary. He's proven to be a good prospect for the national team, so why not give him a shot?

It's great to see Troy Perkins getting some respect. Any chance that DC United could trade a future draft pick to Chicago for the rights to Dominic Cervi? I'd be fine with giving him the senior roster spot he deserves and cutting Carvallo.

Posted by: DCUMD | May 16, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

DECO for DC!!!

Posted by: Matthai

Deco says he only wants to play in England or Italy...but I'd love to see him in black as well. He has a lot of tread left.

I thought about the # of u-23s on the list. Bodes well for the future that a full MNT roster could also take the field in the Olympics.

We have a US u-18 team in Portugal at the moment, but most of them are hoping for college scholarships rather than professional contracts. Still, they will get a lot out of matches against Sweden, Norway, and Portugal.

Glad to see everyone's hard at work! 2 hours 'til happy hour...

Posted by: troy | May 16, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Before, I used to wonder why Feilhaber seemed to play well for the USMNT, but could not get a sniff for Derby (I was at Anfield and watched them get trounced by Liverpool 6-0...Derby are total rubbish).

I have slowly come to the suspicion (or realization) that perhaps Benny only is effective for national team due to his pairing with Bradley. He pairs well with Bradley. In that Bradley has shown his quality all season long, while Feilhaber is one paycheck away from polishing the first team's boots for a living, I now see it is not a pairing of equals. Feilhaber is the Robin to Bradley's Batman.

It looks like Benny has wrung all he can out of one wonder-volley last summer.

If he doesn't return to MLS, he needs to go to a Championhip or even League One side and start playing regular first team football. Sitting on the bench will do nothing for him.

It is acutally a bit sad he is still in the USMNT picture...Arena would never have let him coast on his playing from LAST YEAR. Arena - I am not a huge fan of his - at least had the gumption to tell players that unless they were playing regularly for their clubs, they could not figure into the first 11 of the national team.

Posted by: Erick | May 16, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

in addition to Hejduk, I'd leave Mastroeni off the list too. thanks for the many years of inopportune fouls; don't let the door hit you on the way out. (see, waiting for the rest of you to get to work put me in a bad mood)

Posted by: troy | May 16, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

interesting points, Erick. But could Benny's lack of playing time also be attributed to Derby's manager(s) being an idiot? Given Derby's season-long demonstration of utter ineptitude, giving the new guy a shot would have seemed reasonable.

Posted by: troy | May 16, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"DECO for DC!!!"

That would be the greatest MLS signing evah. Too bad the chances are 0.001%

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | May 16, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

You're my blue sky
You're my sunny day
Lord you know it makes me high when I read the Insider everyday.

Posted by: Tweaked | May 16, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Kljestan - does that mean he's out of Chivas Sat night?

Posted by: David | May 16, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Didn't see this on the post website, but caught it in the express this morning on metro. Anyone have more details on it?

DC Seeks SE Waterfront Developer
District of Columbnia officials are seeking a mix of shops and housing for a 50-acre site along the Anacostia waterfront next to RFK Stadium.
Mayor Adrian Fenty says the city is seeking bids for a master developer for the site known as Hill East, which includes the former D.C. General Hospital cmapus. The site also could feature a 'healthplex' that would offer medical services (AP)

Posted by: emanon | May 16, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

"I have slowly come to the suspicion (or realization) that perhaps Benny only is effective for national team due to his pairing with Bradley"

So, how do you explain that his US Nat highlight game was vs Mexico when Bradley did not play....???

Posted by: Lloyd Heilbrunn | May 16, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Mostly what I expected but for . .

Gaven? Eddie Gaven? He doesn't deserve it and hasn't been "in form" at all. Why oh why?

Beasley? He hasn't played for Rangers in months b/c of his knee.

As someone already alluded, it seems like a training camp for the Olympic team as well . . . I would like to see Adu, Altidore, Rogers and Bradley get some minutes in these friendlies

Posted by: delantero | May 16, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

It's time to get things started
It's time to dress up right
It's time to meet the muppets on the muppet show tonight.

Muppets, to me, are like Soccer Made in Germany; fine memories from my youth. Leave it to the brits to turn something positive into something negative.

Bradley's roster is really balanced. It'll be interesting to see who he puts on the field against England.

Posted by: Hacksaw | May 16, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

@DCUMD

Frankie - what he lacks in youth he makes up in his MIND BLOWNING fitness. When his days are done - I hope he becoems the trainer for the national team because imagine if we could condition our guys in his mold.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 16, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Re the Emilio article -- Soehn very rarely benches anyone for an entire game, does he? I'll bet he gets some minutes. And if not, Soehn did it just because he read THIS post and it ticked him off.

Posted by: gringo | May 16, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I found it interesting that two members of the USMNT "friendly roster" are out of contract. A forward and a goalie....hmmmm. Do we know any team in the DC area that needs a forward and a goalie? Anyone see where I'm going with this?

Posted by: boda united | May 16, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Follow up to: Hacksaw | May 16, 2008 10:30 AM

If we don't start winnin', we'll be a-singin':

Why do we always come here?
I guess we'll never know.
It's like a kind to torture
To have to watch this show.
(drum fill)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 16, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Have a great trip, Steve. But watch your back:

"Last thing I remember
I was running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
'Relax' said the night man
'We are programmed to receive
You can checkout any time you like
But you can never leave!'"

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 16, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Troy,

Davies left Derby and was replaced by Paul Jewell, who did some great things with Wigan before having his nervous breakdown (or whatever it was).

It was not an anti-gringo bias, as Eddie Lewis made almost 20 appearances for the club. If anything, once Davies left, Benny would have had a clean slate with Jewell and a chance to prove himself. Yet even under the new manager, he was a non-factor. I hate to compare it to Freddy, but when you don't play, and the managers chane, and you continue to not play, blaming management bias is not really reasonable (granted, Freddy has been more successful at Benfica than Benny).

For Benny to not even get on the pitch means he has not shown well in training, either. Jewell, was pretty busy with transfers, which further reflects his lack of confidence in the overall squad, not just Benny (Derby's back line made Greg Vanny look like John Terry).

Jewell was in there in November. Derby was not confirmed for relegation until March. In those ensuing five months, Jewell was desperate for a result. I am sure that if thought a player - regardless of country of pedigree - could have helped in that endeavor, he would have used him. Yet again, Benny was a ghost.

That counterpoint could be that because they were in such dire straits, Jewell could risk using vital game minutes on a develpmental player. OK. But even after the season was lost (March) that left two whole months were Jewell could have given Benny minutes, in pursuit of player development. Nope. Jewell instead publicized his intent to sell Benny (turned down an offer from Tel Aviv FC).

Lloyd,

Benny's performance was defined by that phenomenal goal against Mexico. But, that is one of only two goals he has scored for the USMNT (the other against a dismal Chinese side that I saw play RSL). Add to that, the USMNT has historically performed well (or OVERperformed) against Mexico on US soil.

I don't think we can justifiably compare CONCACAF opponents (even Mexico, as they UNDERperform when away against the US) to Premier League teams. Note how Eddie Johnson could light up MLS (remember him trouncing DCU early last season?) and then be nothing more than an empty shirt for Fulham.

The point being perhaps Benny is more effectiv for the USMNT because their competition is typically inferior to that faced by Derby in the Premiership, allowing him more space and time on the ball and increasing his margin for error. That being said, his last few outings for the USMNT were bad. His play had dropped several notches from what we saw last summer.

Professional football is about results. Rarely will a coach bench a great player for some impetuous reason. If Benny is not playing, it is because the two managers at Derby did not have confidence in him.

Posted by: Erick | May 16, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Jacqua playing well and under contract to SC Rheindorf Altach in the Austrian Bundesliga?

Posted by: Hedbal | May 16, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

-----------
Kljestan - does that mean he's out of Chivas Sat night?

Posted by: David | May 16, 2008 10:23 AM
-----------

I doubt it.

The earliest (I think) that anyone would report to NT "camp" before these friendlies would be on 5/22, after the UEFA final, well at least "May 22-June 9, 2008" was listed above the roster at http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_6422532.html

I'd imagine most MLS guys will also be with their teams on the weekend of 5/24, before a handful will be called over to fill out the game-day roster for the match at England on 5/28.

Posted by: Available | May 16, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

never met Benny and never watched him train, so I can't comment on whether he looked good on the practice pitch, but there were an awful lot of questions being raised about both managers' decisions all season long. I still think -- just my opinion -- that given how bad they were all season long reflects poorly on management.

Posted by: troy | May 16, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Failheber is a dead man. He ends up with NT is beyond me.

Posted by: sky | May 16, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Jewell pulled off a cunning stunt getting Wigin into, and staying in, the Premier League.

The difference between their first and second top-flight seasons were remarkable.

Two huge players for Jewell were Chimbonda and Bullard. Wigan never fully recovered from losing those two guys. Chimbonda being huge in the back and attacking down the flanks and Bullard a key player in the middle and deadly on set pieces.

Before he left Wigan, Jewell was a final contender for the England job. Does that guarantee that he is a good manager? Perhaps not.

I am not saying Jewell is a flawless manager, but in just six years, the guy took Wigan from League Two to League One to the Championship to the Premier League. He later led them out the relegation zone to maintain their top-flight status. By any account, that is pretty impressive.

Comparing Jewell accomplishments vs Benny's, I give Jewell the benefit of the doubt. I can't fathom an anti-American bias, as they bought two gringos, sought to buy a third, and are owned by an American consortium (a gringo is President and CEO of Derby Co).

That being said, I think Jewell was nuts to take the Derby position. Thankless task with little chance of success.

Posted by: Erick | May 16, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Steve - you should stop by the tailgate in lot 6 - there should be a good group of people.

James

Posted by: James in LA | May 16, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Why is lead-foot Jaqua on any roster? The only thing that guy is good for is for a Halloween sketch.

Posted by: bristol | May 16, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Dadryan | May 16, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Christian Gomez is very good.

Posted by: Old WNT fan | May 16, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Benny played pretty well at Hamburg before they changed managers and he was sent down to the B team. He had good skills then and he showed good skills for the USMNT for most of 2007. I'm not sure what happened at Derby and in the Premier League but it does take players at least a year to break into their squads and the style of play in England - the exception being Dempsey. If we went by who had a good year in England, we wouldn't be calling up Demerit, Bocanegra, Spector or Johnson(I did notice that Convey and Hahneman were left off the list). Hopefully Benny can bounce back...good news is that there are some other young talents that can hopefully fill the bill.

Posted by: noname | May 16, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hedbal | May 16, 2008 11:20 AM

------------------------

Yes he is, and if Bradley's going by form, then his 5 goals in 10 games more than earn him a spot ahead of guys like EJ

Posted by: AJ | May 16, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Christian Gomez ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
Anyone know why Burciaga Jr. isn't playing? He's not injured.

Posted by: Dadryan | May 16, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Convey was sent home to the US by Reading for another injection into his knee. Friendlies are not part of his ongoing rehab, it seems.

Hahnemann saw more shots, and made more saves than anyone in the EPL this season. A few weeks off are in order. He has nothing to prove.

Posted by: JkR | May 16, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Hahnemann needs a fifth of Jim Beam and a gift card for the local gun range.

Posted by: Erick | May 16, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Is it me, or is anyone else singing Steve Martin's song "Ramblin' Guy." I didn't even think of the Allman Brothers!

Posted by: Beaker | May 16, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Hahnemann needs a fifth of Jim Beam and a gift card for the local gun range.

Posted by: Erick | May 16, 2008 1:05 PM

LOL!

Come to think of it, I could use the same...

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 16, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Hooray for Troy Perkins!!! A proud moment for DCU fans. It's almost like having a player actually on the DCU roster being included in the national team player pool.

Almost...but not quite the same.

Is he getting better? Maybe, we could bring him back in a few years as a DP....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 16, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

* Feilhaber
* Gaven
* Kljestan
* Altidore
* Rogers

------------------------

If you are building a team for 2010 some or a majority of these players have to get tested now. They'll be mid-twenties then.

Posted by: Liverbird | May 16, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Hahnemann has nothing to prove, but it would be nice to see him get some national team game action. He's got six caps. He deserves more.

That stands in contrast to the slugs in this pool. It does no good to point out that they haven't done much in England this year. That's just because few Americans are truly any good -- certainly, very few are good enough to excel at that level. There's McBride, and a few goalies...and that's it. We have hopes for Bradley and Adu -- even Altidore -- but only time will tell if those hopes are realized.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 16, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I know this is a little off topic but does anyone have any idea why
Jose Burciaga Jr. is riding the Pine for the Rapids?
He was working out as a fair fantasy player(better than any DCU defenders). He isn't on an injury report, partying too hard?

Posted by: Dadryan | May 16, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Kind of surprised Keller didn't get called in, especially when you call in guys like Hejduk, Mastroeni, and Lewis.

University of Maryland representing with Seitz, Califf, Edu, and Rodgers.

There are a lot of players who have just come off injuries or have barely played over the last few months.

Posted by: Mark | May 16, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Frankie is the perfect player to have in a large camp with lots of young kids. He teaches them how to approach the workouts and what kind of effort is needed to make a WC team. I say Frankie should be in pretty much every camp there is. In addition it may be the only chance to slow down the all powerful Crew this yera.

Posted by: Dude | May 16, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Beaker | May 16, 2008 1:07 PM
==========

It's you. The rest of us are listening to the Allman Bros. while drinking Jim Beam at the gun range. And by "gun range," I mean the backyard. Joe Doc, set that empty up on the tree stump.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 16, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Which sss-stump (hiccup!) are you 'fering to?

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 16, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

As has been pointed out, Jacqua's scored 5 times in 10 top level Austrian matches. My hunch is that he's doing something right. He's always been a fairly enigmatic player in my opinion.

Posted by: Nate | May 16, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I-270,

Don't forget, gotta add some Busch beer in order to have some "empties" to toss in the air and shoot them Josey-Wales-single-action-revolver-style before they hit the ground.

I almost forgot: hollow points and a spring assortment of melons and varied head-shaped fruits.

What is that on the hi-fi? Is that Freedom Rock? Well turn it up, man!

Posted by: Erick | May 16, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Okay....Chris Seitz is good, but Rimando is the #1 at Real Salt Lake.

Dominic Cervi didn't even make it to MLS

why not Rimando or Reis on this squad?!?!?

why do we have Nate Jaqua if he's out of contract?!?!

Feilhaber can't even play for the worst premiership team of all-time!!!!!

Come on Bob, you're turning into the Bruce Arena of 2006 way too early.

Posted by: Ben | May 16, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Consider that for some of these out-of-contract players and Feilhaber, Bradley may be using these NT games as a stage to showcase these guys to help them into better situations via trades and/or new contracts (and there aren't much bigger stages than England, Spain and Argentina matches).

Posted by: Gburg | May 16, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

If Cervi is unattached, why dont we make a run at him?

Posted by: Darth Hater | May 16, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

OMG IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!!!1

Posted by: Anonymous | May 16, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Cervi is MLS property of Chicago

Posted by: Anonymous | May 16, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Feilhaber's failure to get regular playing time on the worst team in Premiere League history proves as much as Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano riding the pine at West Ham last year did.

All English coaches are geniuses and must not be questioned!

Posted by: garbaggio | May 16, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Erick | May 16, 2008 10:10 AM

---------

Yeah, Arena sure told Convey to get bent when Convey was [initially] riding pine at Reading.

There's a lot of revisionist history being written whenever DCU fans bring up Arena. Arena was ANYTHING BUT a merit-driven coach. He had his favs, and stuck to them. [An antique Jeff Agoos in Korea, anyone?]

Posted by: reality check | May 16, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Personally, notwithstanding his brief unsuccessful stint in LA, I have thought that Jacqua always looked pretty good. Is he the most gifted athlete? Of course not, but he's got the scorer's touch. It might take more than that in the EPL, but it's good enough for a career in the US or, I guess, in Austria.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 16, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Just curious, do Olympic team appearances count as USMNT caps?

Posted by: jyindc | May 16, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | May 16, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Hahnemann needs a fifth of Jim Beam and a gift card for the local gun range.

Posted by: Erick | May 16, 2008 1:05 PM
------------------------------------------------

Preferably not at the same time...

Posted by: Gun Range Owner | May 16, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

For those of you in Gros/Olsen-land, a football-oriented film called Sixty-Six is playing in Harrisburg tonight and next Thursday:

Posted by: tri-village | May 16, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

What is that on the hi-fi? Is that Freedom Rock? Well turn it up, man!

Posted by: Erick | May 16, 2008 3:08 PM

If your bicycle has a gun rack on the back...

Posted by: J. Foxworthy | May 16, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Arena definitely had his faves. Quaranta and Simms got long looks with USMNT, because Arena liked 'em.

Posted by: FIsch Fry | May 16, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

It's funny to see England's roster with all the players having Premier League clubs right next to their names....and then that one glaring exception:

David Beckaham (Los Angeles Galaxy)

HAHAHAHA

Posted by: Ameobi | May 16, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ameobi | May 16, 2008 5:12 PM
========================

Alexi Lalas is using it as the Galaxy's new letterhead.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 16, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

it's a Saturday Night Special
got a barrel that's blue and cold
ain't good for nuthin'
but put a man six a feet in a hole

Posted by: Mysterian | May 16, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

reality check,

When Convey first went to England, he spent his whole first year on Reading's bubble. In an interview, he said Arena told him he would not be a USMNT fixture until he returned to first team football.

- - - - -

Who lumped DeMerit in with teh duds? The guy is quality. Just because he is not in the Premier League doesn't mean he is crap. His goal lifted Watford into the Premier League. He was one of the few reliable players Watford has. As a professional player he has been far, far more consistent than other higher profile USMNT players suchs as EJ, Gooch (certified shyte Premiership player), Convey, Bornstein, etc.

T&T showed quite well at WC 2006 with a squad of essentially Championship players. I think DeMerit gets the shaft because he was not one of the golden children that came through Bradenton. Those guys seem to have gotten the USSF ghetto pass and are always in the pool regardless of playing performance.

BTW, Hahnemann lead the Premiership in # saves two years in a row, which tells you something about his back line. If not for him, Reading would have gone down in their first year.

Posted by: Erick | May 16, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Not lumping Demerit with the duds..just making the point that if you go by playing time (e.g Feilhaber at Derby), then Demerit is in the same category...he's been riding a lot of pine this year.

Posted by: noname | May 17, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse