Read It in the Sunday Papers

Thanks, Joe.

To read Mike Wise's front-page Sunday column about Ben Olsen and D.C. United, click here.

To read my front-page match report on the USA-Canada women's friendly and Natasha Kai's hat trick, click here.

By Steve Goff  |  May 11, 2008; 1:11 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday in the Park
Next: Mother? Not Mother?

Comments

Did anyone follow any MLS action on Saturday? I see that Houston finally won one, Columbus is continuing its winning ways, etc.

Posted by: tri-village | May 11, 2008 1:37 AM | Report abuse

I just went through recap on the MLS site. Columbus - San Jose was pretty good. 5 goals before more than 9k. with the exception of LA - NY drew 27k all the other games have below 16k attendance. If only Randolf of LA can score LA would have won the game but with his poor finish in the box more one occasion and so did other team mates they are not going to win. Rogers from Columbus has a real potention being one of the good players from a local talent. He know where to run and he has the speed.

Posted by: arlington for United | May 11, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Houston won a late penalty when a Colorado defender lost his mind and parried the ball coming out of the penalty box. The ref seemed almost stunned as the call was delayed, but correct. Derosario deposited the spot -- kick lower left corner.

Great videos on Olsen/Wells. Why not send Wise to Fenty's house sniffing around for a stadium proposal.

USA women on fire last night. Sunil G. and D. Flynn were almost high-fiving each other in the VIP box (BTW -- Sunil's got at least a six inch vertical leap). Pia leaped higher than Lebron James when Hope Solo made her own confident leaping catch on a cross in the penalty area in the waning minutes. Pia's got them playing with determination and confidence. Can't wait for the Olympics and the eventual rematch against Brazil.

Posted by: MR Caretaker | May 11, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

A great game last night, in a wonderful environment. A clear purpose to the U.S. style of play -- keep the ball, control the tempo, work the combinations. Great stuff.

"I got the trash and
You got the cash
So baby we should get along fine
So give me all your money
'Cause I know you think I'm funny
Can't you hear me laughing
Can't you see me smile..."

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 11, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

My daughter and I were well entertained last night. Two observations - Lucigol are you paying attention? First, on one play Wambach lined up on a wing, the ball was shifted to the other side of the field and she drifted centrally to make a run into the box for a cross. Second, on a play in the U.S. defensive end, Wambach sprinted and lunged to clear a ball out of touch to avoid it crossing the goal line for a Canadian corner. Forwards can move and play both ways.
Also, beautiful ball movement and wing play from the U.S. -- DCU wingers? were you watching?

Posted by: griffin1108 | May 11, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Joe.
========================================
No problem, glad to help.

Posted by: JSF | May 11, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

The Colorado defender was Ugo Ihemelu, the same guy who put Dominic Mediate out.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 11, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

With regard to the parking situation: I entered from Oklahoma Ave. NE, NW of the stadium. The attendant asked me where I was going, and I answered truthfully, forking over $12. Presumably, if I had said that I was going to the Gnats game, I would have been let in for free. From that point all vehicles were directed to the same area on the north side of the stadium, where shuttle buses to Gnationals Park were waiting.

Posted by: tri-village | May 11, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Agree with griffin1108. It was a treat.

I hope the guys were watching last night. Women may have a different style from men, but fire, joy, and teamwork are not style dependent.

Oh and I miss Ben even more now that I've read/watched the interviews.

On the bright side, the Post's soccer coverage included two front-page above the fold articles and added up to at least a full page. Nice.

Posted by: LD | May 11, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

The bad news last night was those two East teams winning over West teams. If everyone else in the division keeps winning we're going to be firmly rooted in last place no matter what.

I never quite know what to do when I watch LA play NY. I suppose I should root for a 0-0 in such a case. But I seem to take more pleasure out of watching LA lose.

Robbie Rogers is a good player but SJ's defense turned into Swiss cheese in the second half and he ran through totally free. SJ's creating some chances but their finishing is as bad as ours is right now.

Posted by: Glenn | May 11, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

One other observation from last night at RFK...contrast this team with the one that bombed out last year and think about the difference that a coach can make.

Not only was the play clearly superior, but even when up by four they still played with grit and passion.

Griffon1108's question about DCU's wingers watching was one I also had last night. I also hope DC's FO was also watching and thinking about what a difference the right coach can make.

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 11, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

OT: Fulham stay up with 1-0 win over Pompey

Reading, Birmingham and Derby go down.

Posted by: Red Devil | May 11, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

CHAMPIONS AGAIN WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Posted by: Red Devil | May 11, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Someone tell Wise that it's United.

Posted by: The United | May 11, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Two quibbles about Wise's profile of Olsen: First, he said that Ben recently returned to the flank for the first time in the nearly eight years, implying that he had been a d-mid for most of his career. Second, "goaltender" is a hockey term.

Posted by: tri-village | May 11, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

We've covered the good and brilliant parts of last night's game, here are the bad:

RFK box office computers going down, forcing will-calls and buyers to use the same windows.

The ticket office not finding the order for the guy who had a group of 23. If you're reading this, I hope all the kids got in.

Closing off one side of the stadium so that there were very few $28 sections and more $35 ones.

The appearance that I was the only person in section 309 who knew the National Anthem. There were two idiots whe knew when to shout "O!"

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 11, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

The mezzanine was pretty full on the side that was otherwise closed off. That leads to another bad thing: Many people entered through a gate on that side (Gate F, I think), but it was closed at the end of the game, causing a lot of congestion and confusion. People finally figured out that they had to head for the main entrance on the west side and circle back.

Any player ratings, Goff?

Posted by: tri-village | May 11, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Any player ratings, Goff?

Posted by: tri-village | May 11, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I know it's off topic, but I think my indoor team got a bigger crowd for our final 2 weeks ago than Chivas USA is getting today. I know they're in a city with another team, and it's a Sunday afternoon (and a holiday, at that), but still.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | May 11, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Live Joe Jackson ... that's what makes you the most cultured soccer blog on the Net. Love it.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 11, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Best thing about the mezzanine on the closed side: you could hear the players communicating, which they did quite a lot of.

Worst thing: it felt kind of lonely with no one bouncing down below.

Posted by: LD | May 11, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

BRING BACK BRUCE! BRING BACK BRUCE! BRING BACK BRUCE!

Get DCU back to GLORY!!!!!

Posted by: Thomas | May 11, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

how tall is Joe jackson? he looks about 6 foot 6 inches in that video...

Posted by: Nina the MTV VJ - whoa | May 11, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Could just be my computer, but are others having issues "opening" up the two newer posts and reading the comments?

Posted by: emanon | May 12, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse