Saturday in the Park

*Read about the USA women's team, about Gordon Bradley's memorial service and Heather O'Reilly's online chat.

*Expecting to see Mike Wise's column about Ben Olsen and DCU in this morning's paper? It will appear in Sunday's editions instead.

*The USA women's 18-player game-day roster for tonight's friendly against Canada at RFK Stadium is listed here.

*Defender-midfielder Carey Talley is headed to his fifth MLS club in 11 seasons, traded from RSL to Chivas USA for a conditional draft pick in 2010 or 2011. Chivas also announced that defender Dan Gargan, who recently signed with the team after being waived by Colorado, has decided to retire and that defender Chris Pozniak (three starts) has been waived. Meantime, defender Jonathan Bornstein will miss 6-8 weeks after spraining a knee ligament during Thursday's training.

*New England has upgraded Gambian midfielder Sainey Nyassi (five starts) from developmental to senior roster.

*Big day tomorrow in England for a bunch of Americans: Who is headed down? Hahnemann and Convey at Reading? Dempsey and Co. at Fulham?

*A few days old, but definitely worth watching: America overcomes a 4-2 deficit against Flamengo at Maracana with a 3-0 victory to advance to the Copa Libertadores quarterfinals.....

By Steve Goff  |  May 10, 2008; 7:19 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Soccer Video x 2
Next: Read It in the Sunday Papers

Comments

Goff, great piece on the memorial service. Many thanks.

Posted by: JMR | May 10, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Is there any word on ticket sales for tonight's game.

Posted by: John | May 10, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I think Fulham is going down because they have the stronger opponents although as rubbish the team as they are Ready deserved to go down. I will not be surprized if ManU stumbles and hand Chelki the underserved trophy.

Posted by: td | May 10, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

i mean Reading not Ready

Posted by: td | May 10, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Great piece on the Bradley memorial service, Steve.

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 10, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Do the Fire still own the MLS' rights to Bocanegra? We need goals on DCU, even if they come from the defense.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 10, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

The Bradley memorial service and the O'Reilly online chat conflicted; I attended the former event. (Nice story, Goff!) I wish I had known about O'Reilly earlier so I could have submitted a question in advance. A couple of other people asked her about Sologate and got predictably vague responses. I would have asked more specifically whether the members of the team realize what a public relations disaster they created, and how it is essential that they repair the damage to their images before WPS, the new pro league, launches next year. Not that I would have expected anything other than the same generic response that other people got.

Posted by: tri-village | May 10, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I've asked this question on other threads, but I don't believe it's been answered. (If it has, I apologize.) If someone heads down the SE Freeway, looking for Lot 8, what will s/he encounter? In other words, will that approach to RFK be for the use of football fans (as it is when United plays), or for Gnats fans?

Posted by: tri-village | May 10, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Was that Troy Perkins in goal for Flamenco, selling out to the shot over the wall?

Posted by: Matt | May 10, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

It was deflected by the wall

Posted by: Anonymous | May 10, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

No, but it wasn't Zach Wells bailing out of the charge on the second goal, either.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 10, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Dunno, but I wonder if the softball game between the US Olympic Team and the Washington Glory will have an impact on RFK attendance...

---------

Is there any word on ticket sales for tonight's game.

Posted by: John | May 10, 2008 9:17 AM

Posted by: Juan-John | May 10, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Our little brother club Wolfsburg is doing pretty well in the BundesLiga. They are beating defending champions Stuttgart 4-0 75th minutes. They are looking for European spot and looking bright for them unlike DC United.

Posted by: fff | May 10, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | May 10, 2008 11:37 AM
===============
I wish I know but I don't. Hope someone will provide you some help. I take Metro so no clue about SE Freeway.

Posted by: td | May 10, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I just picked up the early edition of Sunday's Post. Mike Wise's story is headlined "Olsen's Ankle Injury Has Left United Without Its Heart," and in this edition it is on the front page of the section above the fold, with a continuation that takes up nearly half the second page. This article will obviously receive less prominent placement in the regular edition that most people will see tomorrow morning, because they have to make room for reports on Saturday action in various and sundry sports. (The early edition is almost all feature stories.) I wouldn't be surprised if they eliminate one of the two photos that accompany the piece.

I'd like to be able to give you a link to the article, but it doesn't seem to have been posted yet.

Posted by: tri-village | May 10, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Our little brother club Wolfsburg is doing pretty well in the BundesLiga.
==========================================

I suspect that people in Wolfsburg regard DCU as a little brother, and with more justification, insofar as their team is about 50 years older than United.

Posted by: tri-village | May 10, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Our little brother club Wolfsburg is doing pretty well in the BundesLiga.
==========================================

Posted by: tri-village | May 10, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | May 10, 2008 4:34 PM
======
Oh I know. I just wrote it like that but to be honest they probably don't even know DCU. Unless, they have shown some sort of press release or TV showing VW big man holding United shirt!

Posted by: fff | May 10, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Wolfsburg....that's cool.

Posted by: pigman sweet | May 10, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Just a reminder that people can watch a video stream from RFK here:

I'll be at the stadium myself, so I'll be curious as to what people think of the Internet telecast.

Posted by: tri-village | May 10, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

=============

It's dreadful. It runs for about 20 seconds, then loops, then stops. The announcers are the guys from the US Soccer podcast. 20 seconds isn't much to gauge, but I just heard one of them whisper to someone else (as if we couldn't hear), "We'll save that for the next break."

Posted by: Ben | May 10, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

WHAT A GAME! For the most part the women kept the ball well, strung some good passes together, and played creative soccer. Granted, the Canadians just couldn't keep up in the second half and that last goal was due to crap defending, but several of the other 5 were team goals, especially the first.

Canada gave us lots of space on the left wing in the first half and even more inthe second. Not sure what they were thinking.

Abby Wambach is playing more like Brian McBride in that she can be the target or she can hold the ball and feed her teammates. Natasha Kai is my new favorite player. Lots of energy, lots of enthusiasm, and goals, goals, goals! (sorry heather, but it's good to see you back).

We need to work on the keeper-defender communication a little more. Scary moment in the first half, but Canada couldn't convert.

Bogus yellow card on Lloyd.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 10, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps DCU should consult with US Ladies how to score goals.
I-270, Exit 1: Obiviously, Kia got hat trick but she is your favorite because of that photo you saw on the post today, isn't?

Posted by: fff | May 10, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Long night for Canada. Their backup keeper came out on the field after the whistle and gave the keeper a hug, which she looked from 301 like she really needed. Not only 6-0, but also a late tough collision in the six box that upended her.

It's a new era for the WNT. Lots of movement and quality passing, the modern game. Very different from what I saw against Japan in San Jose last summer. I agree with I-270 about Kai; with this hat trick, she's the new superstar. But Wambach was impressive in a new role in which the attack isn't about getting the ball to her and letting her size and athleticism score. She did some nice work with her back to the goal. We're midway into what looks like an exciting transition.

Posted by: dcca | May 10, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I believe this is the first time Mitts has gone the full 90 in many moons. She may yet succeed in reclaiming her spot, pushing Rampone to the middle, and leaving Whitehill on the bench. But then again, the Rampone/Markgraf tandem predates Mitts' return.

I was a bit surprised that PS went 70 minutes and four goals before bringing in any subs, and only used three in the end.

Wambach had zero goals and three assists, which indeed suggests a new, McBride-like role.

Kai had what would normally be considered a hat trick, except in her case it was a fluorescent orange headband trick.

The pitch looked to be in great shape. It came through the Thursday game, and the rain both before and after that game, quite nicely.

Posted by: tri-village | May 10, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

I'd forgotten what a blast can be had at RFK with a skilled home team on the field.

How delightful it was to see a home team that had beautiful movement off of the ball, passes to where players knew their team mates were going to be, soft controlling touches, command of most 50/50 balls, a keeper who trusted her back line enough to distribute to them, a mid-field that controlled play, wings and defenders making overlapping runs into the corners and delivering deadly crosses, through balls on the ground to feet, no hospital balls, give and go sequences that led to goals...oh, and players who could find the back of the net...six times.

My wife asked me if I remembered when DC United used to play like that.

She (a former coach) said that, as the US women were still busting their butts when they were up by five, that Pia must have put the fear of God into them after they almost blew the Aussie match after having been up 3-1.

Do you suppose Pia might be interested in a MLS head coaching job?

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 10, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

My wife asked me if I remembered when DC United used to play like that.

Do you suppose Pia might be interested in a MLS head coaching job?

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 10, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

My wife asked me if I remembered when DC United used to play like that.

Do you suppose Pia might be interested in a MLS head coaching job?

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 10, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

The link to Mike Wise's profile of Ben Olsen is now available:

Posted by: tri-village | May 10, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the multiple posts...it was a blast, but not that much.

I kept getting 'bad response from server' messages...

Guess those were the bad responses.

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 10, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

The link to Mike Wise's profile of Ben Olsen is now available:

Posted by: tri-village | May 10, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

I would have definitely made any save tonight, if Canada had put a shot on goal.

Posted by: Hope Solo | May 10, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hope Solo | May 10, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Here is Goff's report on the match:

I have one quibble: In the "Notes" section at the end, Goff refers to Nicole Barnhart as the third-string keeper. I believe that she is now ahead of Scurry on PS' depth chart, assuming she comes through this minor surgery OK. Remember that she, not Scurry, went to Mexico and saw playing time in Olympic qualifying.

Posted by: tri-village | May 10, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

I would have definitely made that save, if Canada had put a shot on goal.

Posted by: Hope Solo | May 10, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Here is Goff's report on the match:

Posted by: tri-village | May 11, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like a lot of fun.
Seahawkdad's analysis made me jealous...
I guess the good news is the way things are going if we get to the WCQ vs whoever at RFK we'll do great(mens team).\
This is the brighter side.
(sigh) (biting Goff)...

Posted by: Dadryan | May 11, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fff | May 10, 2008 10:42 PM
===============

:-). Heather is aging. I have to trade in the first fantasy for the trophy fantasy.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 11, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

RE: Fulham

The game is being shown on Setanta Extra, Ch. 670 on DirecTV. 0-0 at the moment.

Posted by: Red Devil | May 11, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

It was sweet to give the mother's on the US Nats flowers. Did anyone check to see if there were any starters on Canada who were mothers? It would have been a nice thing to do.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 11, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

That would have been a good idea. I just double-checked to make sure that Mother's Day is celebrated on the same day in Canada. (Similar holidays are celebrated on different days in different countries. In most cases the traditions predate the North American version.)

Posted by: tri-village | May 12, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse