Soccer Video x 2

Some solid futbol-related video on post.com today ... first, I invite you to watch Mike Wise's latest "Behind the Column" feature, in which he visits Ben Olsen's house. The column itself will run in the Saturday paper (and go live online sometime tonight):

Next, how about Dan Steinberg's trip to U.S. women's soccer practice at Georgetown? Some good stuff on the new coach, Pia Sundhage. And please remember, there's an online chat with U.S. forward Heather O'Reilly at 2 p.m. today.

By Jon DeNunzio  |  May 9, 2008; 1:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who's to Blame?
Next: Saturday in the Park

Comments

Mike Wise is columnating about soccer?!?

Posted by: Juan-John | May 9, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Wise has written on soccer before (I think I've seen him discussing it on Comcast too). He's definitely a soccer-friendly guy, even if he still says "the United".

Posted by: Ricky B | May 9, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Ben for coach!

Posted by: Dema | May 9, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

no one likes to see ankle scars.

Posted by: get well | May 9, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Come back Benny!!!!

Posted by: DC | May 9, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I guess the larger question is how many people does Goff catch on "a bad day"?

Posted by: Section 130 | May 9, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Ben!!!

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | May 9, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

A nutshell look at why Ben Olsen is a perfect example of what is great about soccer in this country. Get well soon Ben!

Posted by: Kev | May 9, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Interesting commetns from the WNT palyers about Pia and her style for motivating and connecting with the team as well as getting the best players to play as the best team.....

are you listening Chad, Mark, and Tom?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 9, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chad, Mark, and Tom | May 9, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

U.S. Goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart Undergoes Arthroscopic Procedure on Right Knee

Olympic Qualifying Hero Out Four Weeks

CHICAGO (May 6, 2008) - U.S. Women's National Team goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart underwent an arthroscopic surgery this morning in Washington, D.C., to remove a loose body from her right knee.

The out-patient procedure, which was performed by D.C. United team physical Dr. Chris Annunziata, is deemed to be minor. There were no complications and Barnhart will begin rehabilitation immediately. She is expected to available for selection for the Peace Queen Cup tournament in South Korea that begins in early June.

Barnhart has played in four matches for the U.S. this year, including the championship game of the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament where she saved Canada's seventh penalty kick in the shootout to seal the victory.

Posted by: WNT fan | May 9, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

"...the United." I cringe every time I hear that.

Posted by: Boss T | May 9, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

"...the United." I cringe every time I hear that.

Posted by: Boss T | May 9, 2008 3:04 PM

----------------------------------------

Like fingernails on a chalkboard. Surely, someone could have said something to him.

Posted by: BK | May 9, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe I am the first to notice this but Gallardo is helping to lay the stone in Ben's backyard with Ben's brother. Wonder how much he pays him?

Posted by: JMR | May 9, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

What's wrong with saying the DC United? I like it and plan to use it when I talk about them.

Posted by: Max | May 9, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

He should three-hole-punch those medical forms and put them in a binder!! That'll be in Oneonta some day!

Posted by: Sharp | May 9, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Gallardo needs the extra money. Maybe Emilio should be doing some of the grunt work.

Posted by: SP | May 9, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Sign the stone mason.

Posted by: David | May 9, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

hey guys hey,
as a Revs fan, thought i'd ad a little outside-the-district perspective.

Ben Olsen rules. he's more than a player, he's an ambassador. that's about as cliche as it gets but its definitely true. The man has moxy. It'll be a shame if he has to hang up the boots but I wouldn't worry about losing him altogether. This guy can land a job in any FO in the league and excel at it. That's a mute point though because I highly doubt he'd work for anyone but DC.

Posted by: AndrewK | May 9, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

No one likes "the United" because the use of the word "the" usually implies a team nickname like the Red Bulls...it's also kind of like saying the Liverpool FC - it just isn't correct.

I like that Gallardo's helping out laying stones, shows he's not just an overpaid star..plus if the bearded one makes it back to playing I feel like those two would be nasty in the middle.

Posted by: Skyler | May 9, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

yeah, said that before I watched the video...

Posted by: Skyler | May 9, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

"That's a mute point though because I highly doubt he'd work for anyone but DC."

A mute point is difficult to hear.

A moot point is one that implies a forgone conclusion.

Posted by: Dictionary | May 9, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

dude, it's not gallardo

Posted by: d, dc | May 9, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Heather Mitts...yum.

Posted by: Paul | May 9, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

"A mute point is difficult to hear.

A moot point is one that implies a forgone conclusion."

It's a moo point. Duh!

Posted by: silentbob | May 9, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

On the WNT video, are they all doing the interview with mouthguards in? Might be my laptop, but everyone sounded like they had a speech impediment. Wasn't sure if they were trying to be funny, or in the middle of a hard hitting drill or what. Maybe it's the laptop...weird.

Posted by: e | May 9, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I second Dema's proposal!

Posted by: Roy | May 9, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I have a mancrush on Ben.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 9, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

At least wise tries.
He freely admits he doesn't know a damn thing about soccer.
He does his job as a sports journalist and works angles where he can be taken seriously.
Shoot, I wish I could go over to Olsen's house and talk about anything. Maybe tell him how much this teams supporters love him and would respect him in any role @ the club.\
Goff thanks for Linkin' this. I am lucky to have you bring us the juice day after day.
In our darkest hour.
I hope...

Posted by: Dadryan | May 10, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

what is up with the WNT speech impedements ?
Mitts is better off not talking eh?
Shhhhhh.

Posted by: dadryan | May 10, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

OMG Bens alive. Chicks dig scars eventho hes married. nice house

Posted by: Some guy | May 10, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

If I hear "The Uniteds" again, I'm gonna stab this fruit in the face. We miss you Olsen!!!

Posted by: OlsenRaymondAida | May 10, 2008 2:58 AM | Report abuse

@WNT

See you at the match tonight! I'll be the guy in the blue shirt.

:-)

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 10, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

@ Dictionary...since you brought it up:

A forgone conclusion would be a sacrificed ending

A foregone conclusion is an inevitable consequence

Posted by: Bellecosse | May 10, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I love Benny, we need Benny back! the team needs him like a coach, spirit maker or whatever!

Posted by: MM | May 10, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse