The Good, The Bad, The Coyote Ugly

THE GOOD

*Columbus scoring three goals in 10 minutes to win its fifth straight and improve to a league-best 6-1-0.
*After two losses and four ties, the two-time defending champion Dynamo has a victory.
*Dane Richards's 30-yard run and delivery that led to Juan Pablo Angel's go-ahead goal for New York.
*Kenny Cooper's acute-angled smash for Dallas.
*Ramiro Corrales's courageous header to give San Jose only its second lead of the season.
*Taylor Twellman's first appearance of the season, and a goal 14 minutes later.
*Christian Gomez's determination and ball control that led to Omar Cummings's goal.
*The Crew's club-record 18 corner kicks -- all taken by Guillermo Barros Schelotto.
*Through balls by Emmanuel Ekpo and Alejandro Moreno to set up Robbie Rogers's goals.
*Steve Ralston becoming the first MLS player to reach 30,000 minutes.
*New England improving to 3-1-1 on the road.
*Kyle Beckerman's glancing redirect of Andy Williams's chip.
*Jon Conway's bravery late in the game to secure victory for the Red Bulls.
*Joe Cannon's tip save on Frankie Hejduk's chip directed at the top corner.
*Dario Sala's reflex save on Kyle Beckerman.

THE BAD

*Colorado's sloppy backline play.
*Chivas USA missing defenders Claudio Suarez (red card), Lawson Vaughn (nose reconstruction) and Jonathan Bornstein (knee).
*David Beckham's clear yellow for taking a run at Dave van den Bergh.
*"Peguero Jean-Philippe." Did I miss something?
*Sideline ejections for Colorado assistant Gary Smith and forward Tom McManus.
*The Earthquakes' gaping fault line of a backline.
*Real Salt Lake's announced crowd of 12,173. Maybe the thought of seeing that turf in person scared everyone away. Despite the victory, "This was probably one of the worst matches we've played this season," Coach Jason Kreis said.
*Ugo Ihemelu's risky attempt to use his upper body to clear the ball out of the box on a throw-in, and getting called for a handball.

THE COYOTE UGLY

*The Western Conference. (What category is below Coyote Ugly?) Colorado is in first place at 3-4-0 and the combined record of the division is 12-22-14.
*Danleigh Borman attempting to celebrate his first career goal for New York with a mangled flip. "That's about the worst goal celebration I ever saw," MSG announcer Shep Messing said (40 seconds into the clip).
*Chivas USA's announced crowd of 10,927.
*The Revolution playing a 3-6-1.
*Bouna Coundoul's flailing clearance attempt that led to Brian Ching's goal (50 seconds into the clip)."I don't know what (Coundoul) was thinking," Ching said.
*Dario Sala smashing the ball off a teammate on an clearance attempt, watching it hit another teammate, allowing Javier Morales to score easily (1:15 into the clip).
*"It's a pity," Galaxy Coach Ruud Gullit said. "It's frustrating. The players have possibilities, they can play very good football, but sometimes in a game they switch off. They think they can do it only on talent. But it takes hard work."
*D.C. United. What? They were off this weekend? Still coyote ugly.

What'd I miss?

By Steve Goff  |  May 12, 2008; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Possession Game
Next: Afternoon Briefing

Comments

The good: Galaxy games for neutrals. They can attack but they can't defend, plus they have strong personalities to love or hate (or both). Every Galaxy game I've seen so far has been entertaining (though I missed the blowout by Colorado).

Posted by: SSMD | May 12, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

it actually turns out that everyone had Peguero's name backwards. Jean-Philipe is his last name and Peguero is his first.

Posted by: Dave | May 12, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else try to click on the "comments" sections of Goff's previous posts where only a blank screen appears? Could that be why there's so few comments?

Posted by: Juan-John | May 12, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Technical problems shut down the comments sections and delayed the appearance of new topics for all Post sports blogs this morning.

Apologies.....

Posted by: Goff | May 12, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

J-J, yes I have been having that problem. This is the first I have been able to get through.

And by the sound of Ruud Gullit is sounds like LA has caught DC United disease...

Posted by: Ron | May 12, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

A 3-6-1? And they won? I'm not sure of which I am more disappointed...

Posted by: RK | May 12, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

The Good: Murphy saves 5 gringos from a fate worse than death

The Bad: Murphy saves 5 gringos from returning to MLS

The Coyote Ugly: Murphy helps put 5 gringos in the UEFA cup

Posted by: Southeasterner | May 12, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

At least behindthebadge has something positive to show about DCU :)

Posted by: RK | May 12, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for giving us the quick links to the good stuff Goff!
Angel is gonna be right up there with the goal leaders in no time.
He and Kenny Cooper's goals were sweet.
I swear I remember someone joking about getting Gordon in the preseason...At least the guy can turn and shoot.
It's good to see that there is still some exciting stuff happening elsewhere in MLS.
The bright side of DCU's loss last week was witnessing the Mexican Phantom of the Opera's left footed goal...why was Wells so far out again?
Please play Jose already.

Posted by: Dadryan | May 12, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

DC Utd should trade for Robbie Rogers and Ekpo. Ekpo is like a raw Michael Essien. I saw the match, and not just the highlights.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | May 12, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

The Good: Those nice blue and white away hoops for FC Dallas!

Posted by: Kev | May 12, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Good: USWNT victory, Kai's hat-trick, and Heather Mitts' return.

Bad: Canada's defense.

Coyote Ugly: "Food" @RFK.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 12, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

The real ugly: Michael Wilbon's comments about streamer's being thrown at players during the Toronto FC - New York match. And I thought he was a soccer fan....

Posted by: DC Unitde Fan | May 12, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and add this to the Coyote Ugly and leave it there until further notice:

Chivas USA home attendance. It is a disgrace. It is an embarassment. It is pathetic to see broadcasts or highlights of Chivas home games in the middle of a sea of empty (other than maybe 2000 people) gray stands. It is not getting better.

That team needs to be re-branded and relocated. Sooner rather than later. It is not working, and there is nothing I know of in the offing that is likely to make it work.

Same deal with the Crew home attendance. The Crew are playing well, they have some quality players, but still apparently can't draw worth beans at home. (I know they were away this past weekend, but just look at highlights of any of their past home matches). It has not worked in Columbus. The community has written them off. They need to move.

Posted by: Ron | May 12, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Also good: gallant save by Bobby Boswell (.com) in the 58th minute of the Dynamo-Rapids game.

Posted by: kickoff | May 12, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Charisma_Man | May 12, 2008 1:39 PM
===========================================

What earthly reason is there to believe that either of these players would be made available to DCU or anyone else?

I'm still having technical difficulties with two previous threads ("mother" and "Sunday papers"). Has anyone else been able to access them lately?

Posted by: tri-village | May 12, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Mssr Goff,

I am deeply offended by the comparison drawn between DC United and the at-large population of coyotes.

As a group, coyotes are daring, resourceful, clever and deeply enjoy "the hunt." In my own case, I am constantly working to refine my "game" so that I may finally catch a certain pesky desert bird.

To compare my species to United is hurtful and misleading. DC United have shown neither creativity, drive, killer instinct, nor cleverness. They wish they had the guile, skill and bearing of a coyote!

DC United are utter rubbish.

On behalf of coyote's everywhere, honor demands I seek satisfaction...a duel, good sir. Tomorrow, noon, RFK auxiliary field, Acme pop guns at twenty paces...

Posted by: Wile E. Coyote | May 12, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I predict that Steve will re-name the third category "The Coyote Gullit" by the end of the season, after so many Ruud appearances.

Posted by: Kev | May 12, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Charisma_Man | May 12, 2008 1:39 PM
===========================================

Posted by: tri-village | May 12, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

LOL!!!!!!

Great post, Mr. Coyote

SG

Posted by: Goff | May 12, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm still in a bad place so let's see what I can scrape up here from the "glass is half empty" category...

The Good - DCU was off this weekend

Tha Bad - Never mind the East, but the Crerw are tops of the league. Are you kidding me??

The Coyote Ugly - As if things could not be any worse - the Metrocows are comfortably ahead of us in the table. These are turely sad times indeed.

Hey for those relagation/promotion fanaticos out there, I'll propose a deal that will make everyone happy. Last place in the East gets related to the West.

@ Wile E. Coyote
Post of the day, Sir.

Posted by: Kosh | May 12, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

oh that would be RELEGATED and not RELATED

Posted by: Kosh | May 12, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

LMAO @ Danleigh Borman. He looked like an idiot trying to play it off like that.

Posted by: bob | May 12, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't get what the problem is with a 3-6-1 . . . With the overload of mids the Revs have right now, it makes real good sense and it seemed to cause Chivas a whoooole lot of problems with people coming out of nowhere time after time.

Posted by: Tim Crawford | May 12, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

J-J: I had that problem too, earlier.

Now about the Crew -- their problem, with not drawing well in Columbus, is that they don't wear scarlet and gray, and have a big block O on their chest.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 12, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote. Suuuuper genius."

Posted by: C. Jones | May 12, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Good- Fulham stays up and now may get England's extra spot in Europe.

Bad - two bonehead plays by Colorado costs them the game.

The really Ugly - Ching can't find the net unless he's gifted a goal. So much for being the next McBride.

Posted by: Hacksaw | May 12, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Gift indeed. Ching was offside.

Posted by: dcca | May 12, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

The good: I'm pretty sure Columbus finally becomes the first MLS team to win after conceding the opening goal. Now some viewers may watch games AFTER a goal.

The ugly: Colorado and Chivas USA's flat back line. Both gave up breakaways up the middle. Coundoul was screaming "where's my defense!"

The coyote ugly: Coyote Anti-Defamation League starts strong-arming the media...

Posted by: garbaggio | May 12, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

One would think it's a matter of time before Chivas is shipped to San Diego...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 12, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Is San Diego even looking for an MLS team? Is there a viable stadium?

Posted by: Ron | May 12, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

To 1-270

You actually found food at RFK for the WNT?

Posted by: Bubbles | May 12, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

and no lines since they were the folks at the game...

Posted by: bobf | May 12, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Is San Diego even looking for an MLS team? Is there a viable stadium?

Posted by: Ron | May 12, 2008 4:16 PM

Or how about:

CF Phoenix. (at U of Phoenix Stadium until own facility is built)

AC Las Vegas. (at Sam Boyd Stadium until retractable-roof facility is built -- let 'em play on the road in the height of the Vegas hot season)

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Chivas to Salinas.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | May 12, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

To 1-270

You actually found food at RFK for the WNT?

Posted by: Bubbles | May 12, 2008 4:44 PM
================

I put "food" in quotes. They were merely eible things that looked like hot dogs and nachos. I don't think Mrs. I-270 will ever venture toward the standard RFK concessions again. But that carne asada cart looked intriguing. I wish I saw that before the frankfurtoid experience.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 12, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Houston didn't deserve to win against Colorado and I expect them to continue with their losing ways.

Posted by: Gary B | May 12, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Good: Mexico to sign Erikkson as Nat'l coach

Posted by: Louis | May 12, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Steve...18 corner kicks and no goals is good? Perhaps another coach would have asked him to take a breather after the first 10 fruitless efforts.

Posted by: crewfan scott | May 13, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

no, no, Louis. no Erickson to Mexico. Erickson to Benfica! (since I still think he's a good coach)

Posted by: troy | May 13, 2008 3:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm not all that surprised by Brian Carroll's success. I was a bit surprised by DC United leaving him exposed and even more surprised by San Jose trading him to Columbus. Being able to pick up a player who could start every game and play every minute of every game is not something to pass up too quickly. Good for Columbus. Somehow I think they got the Argentinian DP that we wanted without paying him the DP salary.

Posted by: diego r. | May 13, 2008 6:41 AM | Report abuse

Apparently Stevie Nichol has dreamed up a new formation, can someone tell me what a 3-6-1 gets you?

The good, Ralston's endurance, 30k minutes is a lot of soccer.

Posted by: Matt Johnston | May 13, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

YES anonymous! AC Vegas needs to happen! I'm sad that I no longer hear wind of a team coming to Vegas.

The U.S. just ain't ready to support two teams in a town (even if it is L.A.).

Posted by: elopingcamel | May 13, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse