USA Roster for England Friendly

Here it is:

GOALKEEPERS: Dominic Cervi (out of contract), Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton).
DEFENDERS: Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham), Dan Califf (Midtjylland), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Jay DeMerit (Watford), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege), Michael Orozco (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Jonathan Spector (West Ham).
MIDFIELDERS: Freddy Adu (Benfica), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers), Michael Bradley (Heerenveen), Ricardo Clark (Houston), Benny Feilhaber (Derby County), Eddie Lewis (Derby County).
FORWARDS: Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Nate Jaqua (out of contract), Eddie Johnson (Fulham), Josh Wolff (out of contract).

As I've cautioned, Coach Bob Bradley is going to take into account the impact of call-ups on MLS clubs, as well as the domestic and international demand on players this summer, and be very selective with the roster for each of the upcoming friendlies against England, Spain and Argentina.

So whatcha think of this particular one?

By Steve Goff  |  May 20, 2008; 5:19 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morrow Out in Dallas
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Eddie Lewis? As in Eddie Lewis who only played sporadically for the worst team in premiership history?

Why is he still getting chances, exactly?

Posted by: d, dc | May 20, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Howard
Cherundolo--Onyewu--Boca--Spector
Adu--Clark--Bradley--Beasley
Donovan--Dempsey

Posted by: Alex | May 20, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Eddie Johnson? REALLY? Exactly what has he done for Fulham? And what did he do for the second half of last season in Kansas City? I'd rather see Jozy in there. Hell, they might as well put in Quaranta (ok that's a joke, but still, Eddie Johnson needs to prove himself first).

Posted by: Kevin | May 20, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Most interesting callup: Michael Orozco

Kid's stock has absolutely taken off.

I love the fact Jozy was left off. He's going to be busy enough this summer.

Posted by: strago | May 20, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Alex, I Like your line up

Posted by: ahmed | May 20, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Considering all of the possibilities, about what I expected.

I wonder if they'll have it on in a bar in Mykonos :p

Posted by: RK | May 20, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Why is he still getting chances, exactly?

Posted by: d, dc | May 20, 2008 5:39 PM

Lewis played 24 times for them (not counting 4 more cup matches). What's that, 20 more than Fielhaber?

Posted by: Stan | May 20, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

When we take the MLS Cup and advance in the Champions League, I'll remember all of you .. .

much like last year when people said fire the front office, Soehn, etc.

Soehn didn't cover Mapp. Payne can't put in Emilio's sitter against Pachuca.

And for all the gripes against certain new players, who else would the mob calling for severed heads wanted in their place?

Posted by: delantero | May 20, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Those cute little CONCACAF teams and all their out-of-contract players.

Posted by: Blont | May 20, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Josh Wolff is out of contract? When did 1860 let him go? I missed that one.

Now, if only I could think of an MLS that could use a striker.

Posted by: bdr | May 20, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Ha Ha! We are going to beat England with a bunch of players who don't have jobs.

Califf plays for Mint Jelly Land?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 20, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I keep looking at the roster, but all I see is three out-of-contract players I'd like to see in DC.

Posted by: Joe S. | May 20, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Stan:

Say what you will about Feilhaber, but at least he's young. An he can obviously use the experience.

Eddie Lewis is a known quantity, and a 34 year old known quantity at that. It's probably time to move on.

And as bad as it looks, I can see why Bennie wasn't getting much time for Derby, as their "tactics" this past season focused mainly on booting the ball from point a to point b, asap. He didn't really fit the style of a team that knew it would be fighting for survival three games into the season, IMO.

Might have been better for him to sign in Holland, Spain, or another league where the clubs actually believe in developing young players.

Posted by: d, dc | May 20, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, right post, wrong section.

Go Yanks!

Posted by: delantero | May 20, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

As soon as I see Lewis, Faildheber, Johnson it immediately bring down the whoe team. They can rely on Tim Howard but he alone can't save our butt. England 4-USA 0 sadly.

Posted by: Wow | May 20, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

What, no DC United players??? What a shock! What, the same old Bruce-Bradley ball??.....the same old recipe for stupidity. God, when will the USSF and United front office's wake up???? - answer: never! Come on Bradley: I'm sure Agoos can make the team too!! Where's your loyalty??

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Konwing that we can't use the same roster for the 3 games I am not surprised by some of the names but dissapointed that guys like Wolff and Lewis who will not figure in 2010 are getting looks. Why not look at some younger talent like Gabe Ferrari or even ask McBride to have a go since he's already in London. I will say I'll puke if Bradley trots out the same roster for Spain without any changes.

Posted by: glove | May 20, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Um, 6:27, have you seen DC play recently? Like, at all? There are only three MLS players on that roster, anyway, and it's not like anyone on DC is making a great case for his selection.

Posted by: Amanda | May 20, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Why is Rico getting the call? The guy has been hacking his way through MLS this season, earning card after card. That alone wouldn't be concerning if it wasn't for the assault he pulled on Carlos Ruiz last year.

Seriously, I used to like this player, but there has recently been a significant change in his attitude, professionalism and performances.

I think its time Bob gave someone else a call -- why not call up Parkhurst and give him a go at d-mid? What about Szetela?

Posted by: Eugene | May 20, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

no one from fulham on the english squad? how weird.

Posted by: smith | May 20, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

taribo west was on the world cup qualifying and tournament team in 2002 for nigeria, he didn't have a team for 3 yrs b4 he retired, who gives?

as long as cervi, jaqua and wolff produce its a moot point, cervi probably got the call up so bradley could shop him around, same for jaqua and wolff, although i wouldn't know who to replace on that roster for jaqua and wolff

Posted by: nigeria_star | May 20, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Amanda | May 20, 2008 7:18 PM
===========================================
Amanda, please walk with me over to the sarcasm corner. Shhh. Don't tell anyone - he was kidding.

Ferrari is with the U23 at the Toulon cup trying to make the Olympic team. Funny - that Cervi is on the roster too. FYI - they play tomorrow morning at 0930. Here's the roster
Roster by Position:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Dominic Cervi (out of contract), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake), Quentin Westburg (Troyes)
DEFENDERS (10): Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake), Eric Brunner (out of contract), Kyle Davies (Southampton), Michael Gavin (Los Angeles Galaxy), Kamani Hill (Vfl Wolfsburg), Jonathan Leathers (Kansas City Wizards), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Julian Valentin (Los Angeles Galaxy), Rob Valentino (New England Revolution), Blake Wagner (FC Dallas)
MIDFIELDERS (5): Bryan Arguez (Hertha Berlin), Corey Ashe (Houston Dynamo), Greg Dalby (SC Charleroi), Benny Feilhaber (Derby County), Lee Nguyen (Randers FC)
FORWARDS (4): Gabe Ferrari (Sampdoria), Bryan Jordan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Ellis McLoughlin (Hertha Berlin), Sammy Ochoa (Tecos)

Posted by: JSF | May 20, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Feilheiber is with the U23 team at the Toulon cup too.

Posted by: JSF | May 20, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

BDR and all, I thought the same exact thing when I saw Josh Wolff's name with the out of contract label. Care to return home to the States Josh? A DP contract awaits ye.

Posted by: DCUMD | May 20, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Eh, my bad. I'm not the best at detecting sarcasm. Especially about the national team, because people say ridiculous things on a regular basis.

Posted by: Amanda | May 20, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Uhhh, how'd they select that Toulon Cup roster - musical chairs?? I know a few U-17 teams that could run circles around that motley collection of stiffs. Kickball enthusiasts are in for a treat.

As regards the MNT, what would Eddie Johnson have to do to LOSE his spot on the roster? Apparently, not playing, not scoring, not assisting, wandering aimlessly, hiding behind defenders, being stripped of the ball at will and passing backwards whenever one comes within 30 yards of the goal are admirable qualities in US strikers.

Posted by: Hmmm | May 20, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

I love snarky comments from England fans who would claim to care less about the USA as they troll Goff's blog.

Up with the colonies!

Posted by: Adam R. | May 20, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Feilhaber is still a top 3 center-mid for the US, regardless of how much he played at Derby. People seriously need to take off the club-soccer blinders and realize that good club-soccer players don't automatically translate into good international players, and less-successful club-players don't automatically make poor international players. Just because Schevchenko has struggled at Chelsea doesn't mean he's not an elite striker. And just because Javier Saviola has never been "successful" at the club level doesn't make him a lesser selection at the international level.

Feilhaber has outperformed Michael Bradley on, I'd say, 75% of the occasions they've both been featured on the national team. He is THE creative force right now on the squad, with Adu still learning the rigors of the full international squad.

Starting Lineup:

-Howard
-Cherundolo - Gooch - Boca - Spector (or Pearce)
-Donovan - Feilhaber - Bradley - Beasley
-Adu - Dempsey

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Hi Mrs. Feilhaber.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

So beasley made a full recovery then?

Timay
Cherundolo Gooch Boca Spector

Adu Feilhaber Bradley Beasley

Dempsey Donovan

Posted by: Pino | May 20, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

- - - - - - -

Kevin,

I agree 1,000% percent. Eddie has been an empty shirt at Fulham.

There are a host of young forward who perhaps should get a run...maybe Rogers, Cooper, or Findley (his speed would be a nice problem for England).

I think EJ gets a bit of a free ride. That won't do much to motivate him and get playing toward his potential.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I read the name Josh Wolff.

Then I threw up in my mouth.

I thought we'd gotten rid of all the old USA deadwood ... McBride, Reyna, Keller, etc.

Posted by: United fan in TN | May 20, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

This is just awful.

Why are Eddie Lewis, Josh Wolff, and Nate Jaqua not working at the mall instead of playing football?

Posted by: darcy | May 20, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Califf plays for Mint Jelly Land?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 20, 2008 5:59 PM

I thought he played for Midget Land

Posted by: Little People United | May 20, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

BASURA!

Posted by: Senor Hoost | May 20, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

If Cervi is out of contract, why doesn't United give him a chance? (Not that goalie is our absolute worst problem right now, but....)

Posted by: Terp | May 20, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

play jay demerit...anywhere.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Think what you will about Jacqua, but he has scored 5 goals in 10 appearances with Altach in the Austrian Bundesliga. Yes, I would rather see Cooper or Altidore, but Bradley is shielding MLS from callups at this point (thus explaining Josh Wolf.)
I like our defenders, but as you move forward each line gets weaker. But Feilhaber and Bradley do work well together, it seems.

Posted by: Hedbal | May 20, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I was really excited about these three games, but then I see the roster and I cringe. I know England hasn't been playing so well lately, but this could be hard to watch.

Howard
Spector-Gooch-Boca-Pearce
Donovan-Bradley-Clark-Beasley
Dempsey-Johnson

Adu for Dempsey
Feilhaber for Clark
DeMerit for Gooch

Posted by: Metzeng | May 20, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Not too sure what everyone is complaining about. This is probably our A- team. If you want a national team for superstars, maybe the USMNT isn't for you.

Posted by: hoyanick | May 20, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure why Eddie Lewis keeps getting called up. The midfield is weak. Put Dempsey in there and it's a bit stronger. Beasley hasn't played since forever, while Lewis and Feilhaber have hardly been stalwarts for Derby (and even if they had been, would that be to their credit?).

I say that with this lineup, the USA haven't a chance of winning. Thank you Bob Bradley, drive through...

Posted by: Gary B | May 20, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Err... For our losing lineup, I say

Howard
Cherundolo DeMerit Onyewu Spector
Adu Bradley Clark Dempsey
Jaqua Donovan

Posted by: Gary B. | May 20, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

These are friendlies right?
Did anyone read the part about these line ups getting altered slightly depending on the players obligations to their club teams?
Seems like a fine team and if parts are lacking I'm sure Bradley will be happy he had three games to sort it out without penalty before the WCQ's.
I bet we beat England regardless.

Posted by: Dadryan | May 20, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Just a guess for anyone clamoring for the younger MLS guys (Jozy, Rogers etc.) to get a shot ... perhaps the Argentina friendly in Jersey is the best shot. Bradley's gotta be judicious with MLS season going on.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Jacqua out of contract? Did he fail in Europe or was he let go at the end of the season.

DC could use a tall forward.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | May 20, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

they will wait until spain for jozy since that is where he will be playing soon. they will try and showcase him there

Posted by: chris | May 21, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

For those call-up haters, you have to remember, we are playing ENGLAND (they will be watching the Euro 2008, remember) Hell, put a U-17 team there and USA will still win... :-)

Posted by: PJ | May 21, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Good grief. Does no one here understand the value of a veteran presence? Eddie Lewis is there because he's been on two World Cup rosters and has something to teach the younger guys about how to handle themselves in big game situations. Nobody, least of all Bob Bradley, sees him as a long-term answer anywhere on the field. Calm down.

Posted by: Kenobi | May 21, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm disappointed to see the lack of love for Eddie Lewis. He's proven himself over and over again for the USMNT, most recently with the brilliant free-kick goal in Poland.

There's a good reason he plays in England; not his fault he landed on the worst team in the Premiership.

Posted by: Joe S. | May 21, 2008 2:29 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm...A really speedy forward with a decent scoring touch...and he's out of contract. I can't imagine how Marcelo Gallardo could do anything with that. No, I guess DCU won't be trying to bring Josh Wolff to these parts. Wouldn't want to stretch the defense and open up the midfield a little....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | May 21, 2008 2:47 AM | Report abuse

DC could use a tall forward.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | May 20, 2008 11:23 PM
------------------------------------------
Can he play with Gallardo

Posted by: The jim | May 21, 2008 3:39 AM | Report abuse

You know when I sit back and watch some of the posts, especially in this thread, I am in awe and keep mumbling to myself..."is this how I sound in my posts?"

I don't see how being out of contract - for seasons that ended just a week or so ago - have anything to do with calling someone up for a FRIENDLY. As much as I get disillusioned myself from time to time, we ain't exactly Italy, that can field 5 NTs with starters from big clubs.

Perhaps I'm wrong on this one (because this player has a tendancy to shame his backers), but Eddie Johnson in England (on the bench or otherwise) has to be better than Eddie Johnson in MLS. We have all heard the players from England say that training is where the real hard work is and matchday is the reward. He's not playing (true, but he just joined a side struggling in a relagation battle), but I think he's learned a thing or two training with better players. I could be wrong, but we'll see...

Eddie Lewis is still a very decent player. For all the nonsense being said about him here, I bet you DC fans would not cringe to see him join the team (for a non-DP fee of course). Plus even on a losing side, Lewis plays against England's best week in and week out, which is much more than I can say for Donovan, Altidore, Rogers, or [insert what ever MLS speedy substitude that comes to mind here].

Many of these guys may not be there in 2010, but they may be able to help us get there. 2010 is a bit away, so many things can happen between now and then, so we really don't know our starting line up this early, do we now?

Let's just chill out a bit and watch the frackin' games.

Posted by: Kosh | May 21, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Ummmm, I'm a United supporter and all, but do you people really think if United wanted to they could sign jaqua, Wolff and Cervi or any player just because they are out of contract?????? If you believe that you guys are crazy..... Maybe we should add in Ronaldo (minus his tranny friends) Could maybe talk Oliver Kahn into not retiring, Zidane is out of contract and I hear still likes to kick it around a bit, Schevchenko wants to play in the states and his wife is from NOVA so that shouldn't be hard to get him on board, McBride might be interested in coming here because he can fly Southwest to Columbus and see old friends for $49 each way.......it goes on and on and on.....sorry folks we have what we have

Now on this game, its a friendly, rosters will change, you can't bring in a bunch of young players with little international experience and throw them on the pitch at Wembley against England and think they can get by without some veteran influence...Jozy wil get his chance somewhere in these three games but do we really want to wear down our best young prospect by piling on to his already taxing load????

Posted by: Piney O | May 21, 2008 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Is out of contract means he is not playing anywhere at this moment? Another word, jobless?

Posted by: td | May 21, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Seriously Piney, did you just compare Jaqua, Wolff, and Cervi to the level of players like Ronaldo, Zidane, Shevchenko, McBride, and Kahn?

You're being ridiculous. Wolff and Jaqua are not a bonafide Europe-level talents - sure, they got offers and have played over there (albeit in Austria for Jaqua) for a spell. But look at Nat Borchers - he went to Norway and came right back to one of the worst clubs in MLS.

So, Wolff and Jaqua are realistic targets - that is, if we'd even want to sign them.

Posted by: DE | May 21, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Heck, Jaqua makes sense - United could surely use the tall target forward and didn't his dad play for the Redskins?

Posted by: DE | May 21, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FC Arlington | May 21, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FC Arlington | May 21, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

td, essentially. However, Chicago holds Cervi's MLS rights, though.

Posted by: RK | May 21, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I guess Bradley's trying to use Jozy sparingly; I really hope that we see him in the other two games.

Am I the only one who looks at this roster and thinks that Josh Wolff might be used as a right mid in this match?

Still no word on how hard or for how long Eddie Johnson has to suck before he stops getting called up. Who would have guessed that three goals against Panama would have bought him license to suck for four solid years with complete impunity.

Posted by: Jeff M | May 21, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jeff M | May 21, 2008 9:13 AM
==============
Oh but he is really good at playing back the ball he receives that should be turn and move forward; however, Bod Bradley is mesmorized by this play so he gets continue calling on spot.

Posted by: FC Arlington | May 21, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FC Arlington | May 21, 2008 9:17 AM

Something tells me that coaching has just as much to do with this as Eddie himself. There's no doubt that EJ has all the physical tools, including the skill to go along with it, but it really looks like he hasn't been coached since he was about 14. Maybe Eddie's "uncoachable", but really, it's not that hard to get it into your forward's head that he has to turn, attack the goal, and take risks. His play seems like a product of the ultra-conservative MLS nature (which is embarrassing and infuriating to watch at times) and a hangover from the ultra-conservative Bruce Arena tenure.

I've got this glimmer of hope that the 1000-mph game in England may change Eddie's mentality.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Wolff would probably play here for aroundabouts Niell's salary, no?? Same with Jaqua?

Posted by: gringo | May 21, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Cervi is out of contract, because Chicago wanted to pay him in peanuts and (after all the hype he recieved) he was tired of dealing with them. Jaqua scored 5 goals in ten games with his Austrian team after joining mid-season. I don't think he will have troubles finding a team (even if it is in a small European league). Wolff...I got nothing, he sucks. DC would have to do a deal with Chicago to get Cervi...we do have an extra DP slot they are trying to waste on Emilio. We need a better gk ASAP!

Posted by: Kyle | May 21, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kyle | May 21, 2008 9:38 AM
----------------------

And yet, despite all the hype about Cervi, he still remains without a contract. The LEAGUE wanted to pay Cervi what a 1st round, non gen-Add player receives. Cervi wanted a shorter contract, with a higher salary, and larger built-in raises than the default 5%/yr., but these contracts are [by LEAGUE rule] only given to those prospects that sign BEFORE the draft. Cervi didn't sign before the draft, and the league didn't want to bend the rules for Chicago. [As they tend to do for other teams.]

So, since MLS negotiates all the contracts, there was no "Chicago wanted to pay him peanuts." Your post should have read, "MLS wanted to pay him peanuts."

Having said this, I have stated FROM DAY ONE that it will forever be a mistake to use a 1st round pick on a non-GenAdd GK. This is because they will forever be difficult to sign. Only Adin Brown was a 1st round, non-GenAdd GK in the history of the Superdraft before Cervi; Brown had a much longer and impressive resume than Cervi. Brown also signed a $100k/yr contract before the draft, but Brown was also a two time All American for Portland; Cervi has never been an All American.

Cervi may be a fine GK someday. I certainly hope he meets with success in his career. But he's really no big loss to MLS or to Chicago [as yet]. John Guppy's bungling of the FIRE manager hire lead to Denis Hamlett being hired mere days before the combine. Hamlett's naivete led to the stupid and wasted pick of the non-GenAdd GK Cervi [he of the EU passport, BTW] in the 1st round.

This is why Cervi is "Out of Contract" at this point.

Posted by: khan | May 21, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I like Alex's lineup too...and the unnamed poster who properly put Adu up top even though he's listed as a midfielder.

I was just perusing the u-18 NT roster that is in Portugal at the moment (playing Norway today, Portugal tomorrow, and Sweden on Saturday). There is a player named Eder Arreola listed who is apparently with FC Barcelona. Who knew we had a 17 year old at Barcelona? Does anyone know anything about this kid?

Posted by: troy | May 21, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

How in the world can someone call McBride "old dead wood"? The guy is playing the best soccer of his career, as far as Im concerned. Show the guy some respect.

I can't wait for this game; I think the US is going to do well even with Wolf and some of the other has-beens on the roster.

Posted by: Hacksaw | May 21, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

ah...Barcelona USA. Not THE Barcelona.

Posted by: troy | May 21, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"Josh Wolff is out of contract? When did 1860 let him go? I missed that one.

Now, if only I could think of an MLS that could use a striker.

Posted by: bdr | May 20, 2008 5:59 PM "

dude, Josh Wolff is not an overated player from South America, therefore, DCU is not interested. Same with Nate Jaqua.

Posted by: Mark | May 21, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

If anyone has paid attention to the England squad lately, they would know that they haven't been very good lately...and the British tend to mess up when it's important...maybe Capello has managed to knock this doubt out of them, but I have faith in my countrymen to play a good game, especially the ones with english premiership experience!

Posted by: American in UK | May 27, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Take it from someone who has watched Eddie Lewis all season, he is awful. He is one of the sole reasons we were relegated, a seriously poor buy by our previous manager. He is one of, if not THE, worst player I have ever seen in a Derby County shirt, and I've seen us struggle in the bottom of the 2nd division. He has been a disgrace to the shirt and an insult to the paying fans.
I have never hated a player in a Rams shirt, but I hate Lewis, and so do the other 30,000 fans who have to suffer his inabilities each week.

Posted by: Adi England | May 28, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why we even bought Eddie Lewis to be honest chaps - he was playing for Leeds in the third tier of English football when we did and he is akin to my arthritic gran chugging along with her slippers on the wrong feet - yes he really is that slow. He put in one decent cross all season and looked completely out of his depth for most of the season.

I quite rate Benny though and hope to see him running midfield next season in the Championship

Posted by: Ian, Derbyshire, England | May 28, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Wolff is quite possibly the most inept forward we've ever had... next to E. Johnson!

Posted by: USAfootball | June 2, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse